Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gay Congressional Candidate Apologizes for Having Sex with Members of College Democratic Groups

Alex Morse, a 31-year-old gay Democrat who’s running for Congress in Massachusetts, has admitted to having consensual sex with college students and apologized to “anyone I have made feel uncomfortable.”

Morse’s statement came in response to a letter from college Democratic groups in the state, accusing him of using “his position of power for romantic or sexual gain,” according to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian.

The groups allege that Morse, the mayor of Holyoke, has had sexual relations with students at UMass Amherst, where he is a lecturer in the department of political science, as well from other schools in the Five College Consortium, during his campaign. They accuse him of meeting students as young as 18 on dating apps such as Tinder and Grindr. He also connected with them on Instagram, adding them to his “Close Friends” story and direct-messaging them, which made some of them feel uncomfortable.

“Numerous incidents over the course of several years have shown that it is no longer appropriate to encourage interaction between College Democrats and Alex Morse,” the groups wrote. “Alex Morse should know that as an elected official, a high-profile candidate, and a lecturer at a large public university, he holds a position of power over many young people. Many young people around the state and around the country, especially those involved in College Democrats, view Morse as a role model, which renders it unacceptable for Morse to routinely make sexual or romantic advances, whether implicitly or explicitly. … Even if these scenarios are mutually consensual, the pattern of Morse using his platform and taking advantage of his position of power for romantic or sexual gain, specifically toward young students, is unacceptable.”

In a statement provided to the student newspaper, Morse stressed that all of the relationships were consensual.

“ However, I also recognize that I have to be cognizant of my position of power. I am committed to meeting with any person or group, including the College Dems, to answer any questions and address any concerns,” he wrote, referencing his struggle to accept his sexuality in high school after growing up closeted.

“As I’ve become more comfortable with myself and my sexuality, like any young, single, openly gay man, I have had consensual adult relationships, including some with college students,” Morse said. “Navigating life as both a young gay man and an elected official can be difficult, but that doesn’t excuse poor judgment.”

Morse, a progressive who became the first openly LGBT mayor of Holyoke at age 22, is challenging longtime Democratic Congressman Richard Neal in the Sept. 1 primary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222August 14, 2020 7:44 PM

I just donated to his campaign. Fuck these assholes.

by Anonymousreply 1August 8, 2020 7:51 AM

Did he do it with students at U Mass while he was a lecturer there? Lecturer is the position title in the US often held by individuals, full or part time, who teach as a professor but don't have the terminal degree in the field usually a PhD. Sometimes it is the title simply given to non-tenure track professor. He was probably the second or perhpas both. The university would probably put him on staff by the term since he was mayor and it would be thought he had something to teach about politics. If he acted out with any students while holding the temporary appointment(even those not in his courses) that is no longer acceptable on campuses and there are usually rules against it. All the other charges are bullshit and another example of the left eating its own.

by Anonymousreply 2August 8, 2020 7:53 AM

WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT OKAY FOR TEACHERS TO SLEEP WITH THEIR STUDENTS? THIS IS A WITCH HUNT!

by Anonymousreply 3August 8, 2020 8:50 AM

While it depends on the individual institution, the general rule is that faculty members cannot have sexual relationships with anyone they hold power over (as in, with their own students, or their own assistants). Consensual sexual relationships with other students is discouraged, but is rarely grounds for dismissal or censure, although the bigger the age difference between the faculty member and the student, the more tawdry it seems.

by Anonymousreply 4August 8, 2020 9:58 AM

I wonder how often he lectures there? If it's one term in five years they are just throwing that in there to make him look bad, especially if he never slept with his own students.

Could this be dirty tricks by his opponent?

by Anonymousreply 5August 8, 2020 10:12 AM

I didn’t see any suggestion he had sex with his own students. That’d be the dividing line.

by Anonymousreply 6August 8, 2020 10:19 AM

He's cute and a Democrat, I'd totally fuck him!

What part of consensual and if legal age are people not understanding?

by Anonymousreply 7August 8, 2020 10:19 AM

[QUOTE]Fuck these assholes.

That’s what started this in the first place!

by Anonymousreply 8August 8, 2020 10:28 AM

He really should've known better

by Anonymousreply 9August 8, 2020 10:45 AM

The article details that after events he would add these college boys to his social media and immediately start dm'ing them. It made them uncomfortable as they are the ones who are calling him out.

by Anonymousreply 10August 8, 2020 10:53 AM

Nothing illegal or probably against college policies. He had no power over them. But stupid and indicates he's not fit for office.

by Anonymousreply 11August 8, 2020 10:57 AM

[quote] It made them uncomfortable

I am so over this shit. Grow up. Life is uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 12August 8, 2020 10:57 AM

Hopefully the backlash to this neo-puritan claptrap comes soon.

by Anonymousreply 13August 8, 2020 10:59 AM

Exactly what R11 said. Legal and consensual, but incredibly stupid. Don't eat where you crap. If he is still a lecturer there, there is the potential that he might still teach them in a class.

by Anonymousreply 14August 8, 2020 11:03 AM

When I was an adjunct, my University had a rule that no one in a teaching role could have a relationship with ANY undergraduate. It was permissible to have relations with a graduate student in an unrelated field/School.

by Anonymousreply 15August 8, 2020 12:02 PM

Right, r10, he would immediately start dm'ing them. It made them uncomfortable. So they met him, had consensual sex with him and decided to complain about it to torpedo his campaign. Seems fair.

by Anonymousreply 16August 8, 2020 12:26 PM

You elect a Democrat you might be voting for a sexual scandal, you elect a Republican you might be voting for a financial scandal involving your tax dollars. I will take the sexual scandal any day of the week.

by Anonymousreply 17August 8, 2020 1:07 PM

not sure the it was the ones he had sex with made the complaint. Perhaps only some who got dm's. Then they complained and others, probably heads of student Democratic clubs, took up the issues.

by Anonymousreply 18August 8, 2020 1:08 PM

You know someone ugly sent that letter.

by Anonymousreply 19August 8, 2020 1:34 PM

The only sexual relationships that are okay are between a husband & wife for procreation in a missionary position or at work when a woman can use her juicy pussy to get a promotion or money and the sacred love of a Daddy & Daughter at 3am when Daddy comes home whiskey-ed up.

Everything else is RAPE!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 20August 8, 2020 1:41 PM

He dm'ed after sex? Doesn't seem that outlandish.

by Anonymousreply 21August 8, 2020 1:51 PM

Legal, but not particularly sensible.

Optics matter if one is going for public office.

Some constituencies won't care. Some will. I don't know his district, so🤷‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 22August 8, 2020 1:52 PM

American views about sex are psychotic. There is some delusional thought that both parties should be equal peers at all times. If the night shift manager at Taco Bell fucks a cashier the Fraus will start screaming Rape!!

It’s based on some Disney Princess delusion that you need to wait till marriage and marry your high school sweetheart, guess what... these girls nowadays are whores and are getting plowed like a field by Sophomore year of high school.

The moral majority, my ass.

by Anonymousreply 23August 8, 2020 1:54 PM

What’s the point of lecturing at a college if you can’t score prime college dick?

by Anonymousreply 24August 8, 2020 1:55 PM

PEDOPHILE!!!!!!!! Don’t touch my babies!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 25August 8, 2020 1:58 PM

So we have to apologize for consensual sex now too?

by Anonymousreply 26August 8, 2020 2:12 PM

Have any of the "victims" revealed sizemeat verificatia?

by Anonymousreply 27August 8, 2020 4:52 PM

More pearl clutching from the puritanical left.

At worst, this reflects poor judgment if they were his own students at the time. Not great, but not necessarily disqualifying IMO. There are people at all levels of elected office right now credibly accused of far worse.

by Anonymousreply 28August 8, 2020 5:53 PM

As others have said, it's not illegal, but it IS stupid. If you're in a position of power, it's a bad look. If you want some young dick or ass, do it on vacation.

by Anonymousreply 29August 8, 2020 6:20 PM

pics?

by Anonymousreply 30August 8, 2020 6:21 PM

Don't shit where you eat.

by Anonymousreply 31August 8, 2020 6:23 PM

Half the fun I had in college was diddling my professors. Hell, I once had a job as an “office assistant” where it seemed that the only reason my position existed was to provide BJs to my boss. I don’t think I did any real work for the entire two years I worked there.

by Anonymousreply 32August 8, 2020 6:28 PM

He has cute dimples. He's forgiven.

by Anonymousreply 33August 8, 2020 6:32 PM

[quote] They accuse him of meeting students as young as 18 on dating apps such as Tinder and Grindr.

Won’t someone PLEASE think of the ADULTS!

by Anonymousreply 34August 8, 2020 6:37 PM

R7 and he’s a ginger too. You know what that means....fire bush down below

by Anonymousreply 35August 8, 2020 6:43 PM

UMass Amherst has released an official statement

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 8, 2020 6:44 PM

I don't understand why anyone in politics would have sex in their own backyard. It's asking for trouble. Go on vacation, lie about what you do, and have as many orgies as you can before your flight home.

by Anonymousreply 37August 8, 2020 6:45 PM

Guys slept with THAT???

by Anonymousreply 38August 8, 2020 6:51 PM

He's ugly and claims to be "young" at 31 years old, so he is also mildly psychotic. I understand wanting to fuck 18 year olds, I do too, but if you can't find 18 year olds to fuck outside of a context in which you hold institutional power over them, that should tell you something really important. He's basically just another predator.

by Anonymousreply 39August 8, 2020 6:52 PM

of course some on DL defend him. Why would he think doing that is OK and that no one would notice when he ran for higher office?

dumb

he's like a Bryan Singer type then. Why would any adult have an interest in an 18 year old? gay or straight it's gross

by Anonymousreply 40August 8, 2020 6:52 PM

Predatory habits are a kink object for a lot of gays, unfortunately. The possibility of scandal is the whole point. I've noticed people like that tend to be untrustworthy liars who are attracted, as in this case, to public office or other positions of power that do not require high intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 41August 8, 2020 6:54 PM

If he’s 31, then I’m 21.

by Anonymousreply 42August 8, 2020 6:55 PM

[quote]he's like a Bryan Singer type then. Why would any adult have an interest in an 18 year old? gay or straight it's gross

18 year olds, do not have sex older than you. But do enlist in the military where you possibly have to kill or be killed.

by Anonymousreply 43August 8, 2020 6:56 PM

*with people older than you.

by Anonymousreply 44August 8, 2020 6:57 PM

Here comes the frau brigade.

by Anonymousreply 45August 8, 2020 6:58 PM

[quote]Lecturer is the position title in the US often held by individuals, full or part time, who teach as a professor but don't have the terminal degree in the field usually a PhD.

Just a side note, in the US lecturers and others in adjunct positions certainly do most often have a PhD. There's a scarcity of tenure-track jobs and strong market pressure to keep them scarce and to keep labor costs down. The difference between levels has nothing to do with how advanced a degree the holder of the job has.

by Anonymousreply 46August 8, 2020 7:03 PM

R36 from the UMass statement: "The university has no plans to rehire Morse."

by Anonymousreply 47August 8, 2020 7:36 PM

So he lost his job for gay sex. Grabbem by the Pussy reckons his job should be renewed and lots of mainly str8 people agree. Fine.

by Anonymousreply 48August 8, 2020 7:42 PM

He didn't lose it for gay sex, per se. He last taught the class in the Fall of 2019 but not, apparently in the Spring of this year before U Mass shut down in March.

But he's not getting it back.

by Anonymousreply 49August 8, 2020 7:45 PM

I hope the sex was worth it!

by Anonymousreply 50August 8, 2020 7:47 PM

The UMass policy seems ambiguous:

[quote]The university’s policy on consensual relationships between faculty and students notes that dating or sexual relationships between faculty and students or post-docs are inherently problematic because of the unequal power dynamic between the parties to the relationship, the responsibility of faculty for evaluating students’ work, the possibility that other faculty and students may be adversely affected, and because such relationships diminish the trust and respect that ordinarily characterize the faculty-student relationship and are therefore inconsistent with the educational mission of the university. Therefore, faculty are prohibited from entering into a sexual relationship with any student or post-doc for whom the faculty member has any responsibility for supervision, evaluation, grading, advising, employment, or other instructional or supervisory activity.

The last sentence in particular confuses me. So ... Morse could date students who were not in his class, and whom he did not have any responsibility "for supervision, evaluation, grading, advising, employment, or other instructional or supervisory activity"? Because that leaves several thousand students with whom he COULD have had a relationship without violating UMass policy.

by Anonymousreply 51August 8, 2020 7:53 PM

I think the LOOKS like a creep.

by Anonymousreply 52August 8, 2020 7:56 PM

Also was he "faculty"?

by Anonymousreply 53August 8, 2020 7:57 PM

Adjunct r53.

by Anonymousreply 54August 8, 2020 7:59 PM

The policy applies to faculty. Not adjacents.

by Anonymousreply 55August 8, 2020 8:04 PM

I hate people who use their platform.

by Anonymousreply 56August 8, 2020 8:16 PM

I assume he is a self-proclaimed top, but really a nelly-bottom, to have made so many enemies.

by Anonymousreply 57August 8, 2020 8:32 PM

soon everyone under 30 will be considered a child when it comes to sex .

by Anonymousreply 58August 8, 2020 8:35 PM

R57 you underestimate how many scorn bottoms there are after a top hits it and quits it!

by Anonymousreply 59August 8, 2020 8:36 PM

Adjuncts are faculty just temporary ones. And yes, this policy (other universities may be more restrictive) allows consensual sex if the student is not presently in one's class , or working as an intern, or being advised for the PhD. But it would definitely be looked upon as suspect, and an adjunct, who is a faculty member hired one semester at a time, would simply not be hired back.

by Anonymousreply 60August 8, 2020 8:50 PM

This is the bottoms' revenge. Seems the sex wasn't so good after all.

by Anonymousreply 61August 8, 2020 9:07 PM

I don't think he's cute. If you are into guys who look like they are missing a half a chromosome, take him.

by Anonymousreply 62August 8, 2020 9:39 PM

The self righteous preachy sjw gays are out for blood on twitter. It’s dangerous to be a gay public figure because professional twitter gays are always looking to outrage monger for retweets and attention.

by Anonymousreply 63August 8, 2020 10:05 PM

He's trying to primary Richie Neal, the incumbent, next month. Either he was set up or he really is an asshole or both. Still, the timing is anything but suspicious...

by Anonymousreply 64August 8, 2020 10:40 PM

THEIR ON GRINDR AND/OR TINDER AND THEY FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE FOR BEING PROPOSITIONED! GET THE FUCK OVER IT AND DELETE THE APPS THEN, OR BLOCK THE FUCKER! I'm all for trigger warnings, and such, but for FUCK SAKE! Grow up, b/c life is hard!

by Anonymousreply 65August 8, 2020 10:50 PM

R37 Why do you think Mayor Pete imported Chasten from another state? To avoid dating amongst his constituents.

by Anonymousreply 66August 8, 2020 10:57 PM

Filthy whores like him is why they hate us.

by Anonymousreply 67August 8, 2020 10:58 PM

He's really cute! I totally would.

If desiring college cock is problematic, cancel me for life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 8, 2020 11:04 PM

[quote] I think the LOOKS like a creep.

Please use the appropriate pronoun. Don’t misgender.

by Anonymousreply 69August 9, 2020 12:12 AM

[quote] THEIR ON GRINDR

Oh, dear!!

Also, Is your caplock button broken?

by Anonymousreply 70August 9, 2020 12:13 AM

He cries a lot.

by Anonymousreply 71August 9, 2020 12:41 AM

I love you r70

by Anonymousreply 72August 9, 2020 12:49 AM

Sex with anyone under 30 is now categorized as Pedophilia!!!!

by Anonymousreply 73August 9, 2020 1:10 AM

The people outraged about this tend to be very problematic themselves. Case in point, this young NYC DSA member who posted private cell phone numbers of city council members online and nearly got arrested for it. They should look inward before judging anyone else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 9, 2020 1:23 AM

^ This is his "work."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 9, 2020 1:24 AM

I don't think this is the fault of SJWs, fraus, or anyone but himself. People usually can forgive one indiscretion in a university setting, especially when the policy is somewhat vague. The trouble is this bloke was on the make, all over campus. That's just reckless, and demonstrates lack of self control, as well as poor judgement on his part.

I love how some cranky pants posters blame others for this randy dope's indiscretions. Attempting to pick several of them up, and "hitting them up on social media" isn't how a mentor or prof ought to behave... not to mention repeatedly as his MO appears to pick up as many young lads as possible.

Shame on the other freaks here who accuse these eighteen year olds of all having slept with him, and suggest he met them on Grindr/Tinder, but the lads tossed him aside. There's no evidence of any of that. If we're going to be completely honest with ourselves, I dare say he more than likely hit on and pestered a tonne of straight students as well. It stands to reason they would be less flattered, or less understanding.

Before the cunts pounce, I have nothing against a consensual relationship or one off between an eighteen year-old and a thirty-one year-old... There's a time and a place for everything, and this wasn't the time, nor the place. Completely unprofessional and unethical. I'm bored of people on DL with such shoddy moral reasoning that only works along the lines: "It's not against the law..." For you, see the simple sage advice the Prince gives @ R14.

Every decent gay man ought to feel embarassed for him really. It's fine to be sympathetic to one newly busted out the closet, but don't go so far as condoning this messy and unprincipled behaviour.

R14 Cheers BPC. Trust even the most fetching young students have always been comfortable with Charlie.

by Anonymousreply 76August 9, 2020 2:08 AM

No more long posts, crazies, please R76.

by Anonymousreply 77August 9, 2020 2:17 AM

Spot the homophobic dyke.

Found the first one: r3.

by Anonymousreply 78August 9, 2020 2:49 AM

R78 Whether she's a "dyke" or not is irrelevant; she's right. (Many may argue you're homophobic by calling her a dyke...)

How dumb is this mayor? I mean really. He's willing to jeopardise that plum job, in addition to his reputation at the university, as well as possibly ruin his future chance at being a congressman? Dumbkopf who can't keep his pecker in his pants for five minutes it would seem. Is he a sex addict? No fucking boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 79August 9, 2020 2:59 AM

R77 You say it's crazy because I'm right, so you're reduced to ad hominem attacks. If it's TL, don't read then. Quite simple really.

by Anonymousreply 80August 9, 2020 3:22 AM

[quote]18 year olds, do not have sex older than you. But do enlist in the military where you possibly have to kill or be killed.

Also you’d better not try buying a beer with that fake ID! Alcohol is for grownups only.

by Anonymousreply 81August 9, 2020 4:22 AM

There is of course no real scandal here. He had consensual sex with guys who were not his own students. This happens all the time in colleges, gay or straight.

Sex makes Americans crazy so it doesn’t matter what the real story is. His opponent will just say he forced his students into sex.

by Anonymousreply 82August 9, 2020 4:51 AM

I got fucked by a music teacher when I was in college.

It was so fucking hot. I still jerk off to the memory decades later.

The guys the mayor had sex with are lucky. No one is some innocent flower mesmerized by his power as a teacher. He’s just one of many today’s students are fucking.

by Anonymousreply 83August 9, 2020 4:54 AM

I remember this plotline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84August 9, 2020 4:56 AM

What's wrong with that?

by Anonymousreply 85August 9, 2020 5:02 AM

Americans lose their damn minds over consenting adults having sex.

by Anonymousreply 86August 9, 2020 9:42 AM

Are The left the new moral majority or something?

by Anonymousreply 87August 9, 2020 7:14 PM

This is only happening to him because these guys complained. There is a reason they are calling him out and trying to sabotage his career.

by Anonymousreply 88August 9, 2020 7:40 PM

He probably sold himself as a big dick top on the apps, then begged members of the local bottom collective to fuck him raw. Drama followed, inevitably.

by Anonymousreply 89August 9, 2020 7:47 PM

Correction for R86: Americans refuse to accept responsibility for poor choices. Much easier to blame others, and play the victim.

by Anonymousreply 90August 9, 2020 7:47 PM

People who become involved in college Democratic clubs are pretty ardent Democrats. So those students are not secret Trumpsters. One of the clubs endorsed him and had to withdraw their endorsement after this came out. He ran to the left, one of the guys critical of him on Twitter is a Democratic Socialist. They are not doing it because they support his opponent in the primary who is an old line Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 91August 9, 2020 7:48 PM

The clap?

by Anonymousreply 92August 9, 2020 7:52 PM

18 is legal, no matter what the age of the older person is. If a 31 yr old or 51 for that matter can score with an 18 yr old, more power to them!

by Anonymousreply 93August 9, 2020 8:08 PM

Let me get this straight, Alex Morse having a consensual relationship with another gay person is unacceptable but Joe Biden digitally penetrating Tara Reade against her will when she was working for him is just Joe being Joe

by Anonymousreply 94August 9, 2020 8:17 PM

Oh sweet jesus, r94 never got the memo. The Tara Reade lie is no longer operative, comrade.

by Anonymousreply 95August 9, 2020 9:11 PM

R95, Says who? I believe Tara. Her mother alluded to it on Larry King in 1993.

Biden is a perv. Denying that fact make you sound just like a Trump cultuist.

by Anonymousreply 96August 9, 2020 9:13 PM

And yet you love the Pussy Grabber, r96. You are transparent and ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 97August 9, 2020 10:29 PM

I'm going to take a wild guess that absolutely nobody involved in all this was deeply traumatized and in need of great therapy and great hordes of the concerned moving in to save them.

by Anonymousreply 98August 9, 2020 10:41 PM

R97,Nope. I don’t have cult like devotion for any politician and I sure as hell don’t like Donald Fucking Trump.

by Anonymousreply 99August 9, 2020 10:42 PM

You mean he met people on dating apps and had sex with them/ the HORROR!

by Anonymousreply 100August 9, 2020 10:47 PM

Don't teach at the university if it's the only place you can find your teen-age partners. There's another solution for the mayor. It's comical how people don't see the impropriety. Isn't there a sizeable population not enrolled at this particular university which he can meet?

by Anonymousreply 101August 9, 2020 11:27 PM

There are ethical issues. The Dems really don’t need another Katie Hill situation. With his history, it seems like a possible problem in the making.

by Anonymousreply 102August 9, 2020 11:30 PM

[Quote]and great hordes of the concerned moving in to save them

This wasn't started by other people r98. It was the students themselves who made the choice to publicly complain about him.

by Anonymousreply 103August 9, 2020 11:39 PM

r101 he met people on Tinder and Grindr - they obviously knew who he was as well. It is not like he was trolling the halls with his cock out.

by Anonymousreply 104August 9, 2020 11:57 PM

Has it really come to this? People are going to have to start apologizing even for legal, consensual hookups. We're becoming laughingstocks with this puritanical bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 105August 10, 2020 12:02 AM

R104 Didn't read the article (s) or has extremely poor reading comprehension. He'll continue to repeat that narrative despite others' testimony to the contrary.

by Anonymousreply 106August 10, 2020 12:02 AM

yeah, i assume everyone will get bored by this shit eventually r105. I wonder if we'll have a new 1970s at some point, after the plague. People might just be ready to ignore the nonsense then and enjoy themselves.

by Anonymousreply 107August 10, 2020 12:04 AM

R98 - exactly. Some busybody in the gay groups on campus found out about it and made it into something it's not.

I have a couple of pictures in my head what this busybody looks like - it can come in a few different forms. But you all know the types I'm thinking of.

by Anonymousreply 108August 10, 2020 12:09 AM

r7 doesn't understand the difference between illegal and immoral

by Anonymousreply 109August 10, 2020 12:09 AM

R105, it's considered hugely unethical for teachers to sleep with their students. Why back a candidate who makes gays look bad?

Just because something is legal, doesn't mean it's ethical. The trolls here who whine about puritans are the ones whose views of trans people mirror those of Republican fundie hatemongers

by Anonymousreply 110August 10, 2020 12:11 AM

R110, There’s no proof that he slept with his students. The only person who went on the record says they didn’t even know who he was until after the sex.

by Anonymousreply 111August 10, 2020 12:13 AM

R105 Why don't you contact his office and enquire why he said :"Navigating life as both a young gay man and an elected official can be difficult, but that doesn’t excuse poor judgment".....

"However, I also recognize that I have to be cognizant of my position of power. I am committed to meeting with any person or group, including the College Dems, to answer any questions and address any concerns,” he wrote, referencing his struggle to accept his sexuality in high school after growing up closeted."

If he chose to make the statement and the apology, I should take him at his word, (he's recognised in HINDSIGHT he's been guilty of poor judgement, violating university policy and general code of conduct for lecturers) considering he is a a thirt-one year-old mayor, and a prof, albeit a disturbingly immature one.

No one else put those words in his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 112August 10, 2020 12:14 AM

R112 is a SJW.

by Anonymousreply 113August 10, 2020 12:16 AM

Surprising absolutely no one, r110 in this thread is calling everyone she disagrees with in the "Ultra woke queer/trans rioters" thread "Ultra Republicans." I'll bet no one on her lists is a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 114August 10, 2020 12:19 AM

R112, those are words written by someone in crisis PR to save a campaign. This guy isn't sorry that he had legal sex with consensual partners. He's sorry that's it's fucking with his campaign. There's a difference.

by Anonymousreply 115August 10, 2020 12:21 AM

So - can you DM someone who hasn't added you? Just curious.

I get they need to have some consistency - I wouldn't think it was right for a 31 year old man to be having sex with college aged-women and DM'ing them either.

But these college guys aren't innocent.

by Anonymousreply 116August 10, 2020 12:23 AM

R113 No, I simply understand the role of trust, and proper boundaries between faculty and students. If one cannot honour such a code, don't become a lecturer. There are slews of smarter people who would cherish and respect his position as lecturer without feeling the need to mess around with students, proposition them on campus, or troll them on social media. I also understand the wisdom of "Don't shit where you eat".

We can do better than a candidate this stupid. He's the bleedin' "mayor on the make"! He would embarrass Democrats and constituents by his utter and com,ete lack of discretion. He's a dumbkopf with a Testosterone problem.

And you end up banished to my troll list for typing "SJW".

Sayonara, Cunt

by Anonymousreply 117August 10, 2020 12:24 AM

Basically it's the 'pedo gambit' strategy used against any gay candidate, done by the Democratics to one of their own right out of the Kirsten Gilibrand book:

[quote]“Even if these scenarios are mutually consensual, the pattern of Morse using his platform and taking advantage of his position of power for romantic or sexual gain, specifically toward young students, is unacceptable.”

He should just come out as a bottom and there goes the power argument.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118August 10, 2020 6:58 PM

He should try acting and play The Joker.

by Anonymousreply 119August 10, 2020 7:10 PM

This is a problem in the current academic climate when Twitter responder says “You violated the basic charge of academic labor, which is creating a safe workplace & learning environment” which until recently has not been the basic charge of academia.

Until the current ultra-sensitive climate, college was a place for students to mature and grow and face challenges and counter-positions, where one learns to argue for and against theories, ideas, dogma, concepts and doctrines and becomes an articulate and mature participant in the democratic process. (Whew!)

Today’s coddled mindset cannot brook any deviation from their previously formed or newly formed opinions, thus the need for “safe spaces” and uniform thought.

It is really just another symptom of the current zeitgeist, but these kids are the future leaders and policy makers. Good luck…!

by Anonymousreply 120August 10, 2020 7:33 PM

R120, you have some good points about mollycoddling college students today. a few years ago I had a student email me to ask whether one of the courses I teach will discuss violence. She said, "I have a problem with blood." I teach the Western Civ surveys and upper level early modern European history courses. There's no way I cannot discuss violence, but, as I told her, I don't go into gory detail. Still, she couldn't take the course.

But what this guy was doing was not about safe spaces.

[quote] The first issue alleges that Morse regularly matched with students on dating apps, including Tinder and Grindr, who were as young as 18 years old. These students included members of the College Democrats of Massachusetts, UMass Amherst Democrats and other groups in the state. The second issue, “Using College Democrats events to meet college students and add them on Instagram, adding them to his ‘Close Friends’ story and DMing them, both of which have made young college students uncomfortable,” according to the letter. “We have heard ​countless​ stories of Morse adding students to his ‘Close Friends Story’ and Direct Messaging members of College Democrats on Instagram in a way that makes these students feel pressured to respond due to his status,” the letter read. The third issue: “Having sexual contact with college students, including at UMass Amherst, where he teaches, and the greater Five College Consortium.”

The first issue should not be bothersome. He's hooking up through Dating or Hook-Up APPs with other adult men who are looking for the same thing: consensual sex.

The second and third issues are bothersome, inappropriate, and should lead to his termination as a lecturer at the university. He's going to meetings of the College Democrats as an elected Democratic Mayor and/or as a lecturer at the university. He meets students at these gatherings, and later adds them as friends to his social media accounts or DMs them. Let's be clear...he's propositioning them. He's using his position as an elected official or as a lecturer for sex. That's abuse of power.

by Anonymousreply 121August 10, 2020 7:59 PM

Show your evidence, R121. Unless the DM says "I want to fuck you like the little freshman cum-hungry slut that you are" instead of "I enjoyed talking with you about student debt and hope we will run into each other again", you're projecting harder than a Trump.

by Anonymousreply 122August 10, 2020 8:07 PM

[quote] "I enjoyed talking with you about student debt and hope we will run into each other again"

Well, R122, let's dissect this message. The first part is perfectly fine. But the second half should be "and I look forward to other opportunities to discuss student debt or other student concerns at future meetings." "I hope we run into each other again" is something I say when I'm flirting with a gay guy at the gym, at a sporting event, at the gay bar, at the theatre, or at a party...all social gathering spots.

As a university professor, that's something I would never say to a student at a university-sponsored event.

by Anonymousreply 123August 10, 2020 8:24 PM

"You're not very smart, are you? I like that in a man."

by Anonymousreply 124August 10, 2020 8:39 PM

Oh, fuck this bullshit.

While I wouldn’t fuck him with my classmates’ dicks or buttholes, the man did nothing illegal or deserving of an apology.

These people bitching about this either have never gotten laid, or have suffered from sudden amnesia and have forgotten how horny they were in college.

JFC.

by Anonymousreply 125August 10, 2020 8:50 PM

If you want a future in politics, don't fuck around with young political volunteers.

This is not a moral judgment. It's a political one.

by Anonymousreply 126August 10, 2020 8:54 PM

CAAAAAANNNNNNNCCCCCEEEEELLLLLL HIIIIIIMMMMMMM!!!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127August 10, 2020 9:13 PM

[Quote]These people bitching about this either have never gotten laid, or have suffered from sudden amnesia and have forgotten how horny they were in college.

Again the people who were bitching about this are the college students themselves r126.

People keep trying to blame it on outsiders, but this is only a scandal because the guys he was talking to made an issue of it.

by Anonymousreply 128August 10, 2020 9:18 PM

Illegal, of course not. Poor judgment...yeah.

by Anonymousreply 129August 10, 2020 10:55 PM

Are there any leaders out there at all anymore who use good judgement? He in no way should be in charge of even the coatroom. Keep your sex life separate from your workplace. Try.

by Anonymousreply 130August 10, 2020 11:06 PM

Who is he suppose to have sex with, Log Cabin Republicans?

by Anonymousreply 131August 11, 2020 1:06 AM

R131 No, of course not. No one recommends sleeping with the enemy, under any circumstance.

Population of Holyoke :40, 358

Population of Amherst: 37,319

Anyone not enrolled at UMass Amherst.

I believe he still has plenty to choose from.

by Anonymousreply 132August 11, 2020 1:19 AM

Does anyone really think if a straight mayor was hooking up with coeds, there wouldn't be a fuss?

Any IDIOT knows that if you're a public person, have your one night stands elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 133August 11, 2020 1:23 AM

He’s going to be a problem for Dems and will have an ethical violation if elected, like Katie Hill. But let’s defend him anyway!!!

What are some of y’all thinking?

by Anonymousreply 134August 11, 2020 1:31 AM

We should get each of the students to read his performance in bed. Now that would be interest.

by Anonymousreply 135August 11, 2020 2:15 AM

R13, There might be a fuss but he also would have a much bigger support system and would probably come out on top.

by Anonymousreply 136August 11, 2020 2:18 AM

[quote] He should just come out as a bottom and there goes the power argument.

As if we couldn’t tell by his pics. Gurl, please!

by Anonymousreply 137August 11, 2020 1:56 PM

[quote] and would probably come out on top.

Yeah, not this guy.

by Anonymousreply 138August 11, 2020 1:57 PM

I thought it was just frowned upon

by Anonymousreply 139August 11, 2020 2:06 PM

[quote]What are some of y’all thinking?

Hon, I've legit had arguments with people here over the years who claim it's perfectly okay for gay men to fuck their male relatives since pregnancy can't result from it. A whole lot of DLers have an extremely skewed ethical compass when it comes to sex.

by Anonymousreply 140August 11, 2020 2:21 PM

Is it unethical for a professor to sleep with their students - yes. If you are searching tinder or grinder and you match or meet up with someone who goes to the university you teach at - is that unethical? Maybe depends if either side disclosed who they were before hand. Is it wrong to slide into the dms of hot college guys you want to fuck as a candidate? Yes - but lets be honest - we elected a president who is far worse than that.

by Anonymousreply 141August 11, 2020 3:00 PM

[quote] someone who goes to the university you teach at

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 142August 11, 2020 3:44 PM

Thank you BPC @ R121, “mollycoddle” is the word I’ve been looking to use whenever I rant about today’s young adults being, well.... mollycoddled. Lol

And thank you R120 for your thoughtful insight about college students, both male and female, being far too entrenched in their own bubble to assume responsibility for their own actions.

And to end on topic, I’d echo R126 and say that if one wants to pursue a political career, one should be ready to be judged a most common moral belief. Unfortunately, yes, that is going to be a puritanical one that shames sex, is outraged when it occurs in an uneven power dynamic, and is disgusted when it has anything to do with gays.

This guy showed failed political judgment letting his dick lead his behaviour and affect his future. Immoral though? Not in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 143August 11, 2020 4:02 PM

r142 Mom stop reading my ramblings in the internet.

by Anonymousreply 144August 11, 2020 4:13 PM

While we debate it, the voters in his district will decide next month if his behavior was acceptable to them in terms of selecting him to replace the incumbent, because here the primary is tantamount to the election.

You and I may not like their decision - or we may - but their’s is the one that matters. And I suspect the demographic in the district; the largest, poorest and most rural Congressional district in Massachusetts, might be a little different than that seen here on DL.

He had a good rep, overall, before this happened.

by Anonymousreply 145August 11, 2020 4:16 PM

Who gives a shit? I would have fucked him when I was in college

by Anonymousreply 146August 11, 2020 4:23 PM

I guess the college students he hit on feel differently.

by Anonymousreply 147August 11, 2020 4:38 PM

R76/R79 must not be American because his posts are reasonable and fair. So of course you are labelled "crazy".

Americans are so entrenched in their identity politics and their cliques that when one of their own does something inappropriate or unethical they take criticism of that person as an attack on themselves and defend it to the hilt. Or accuse someone of being a HOMOPHOBE. It's childish, immature and incredibly incredibly American. The more I hang out on this forum the more I realize it.

by Anonymousreply 148August 11, 2020 5:51 PM

When as a young man I worked in university administration (not academia) in the UK did ever encounter any students online? Sure. I even had the occasional date/hook up. But if the student was in the my faculty it was a no-no. Even though I had no direct power or influence it's just common sense. This guy just wants to have his cake and eat it. He is guilty of being either naive or cynical. Most likely the latter.

by Anonymousreply 149August 11, 2020 6:47 PM

Morse, at 31, is still considered a Young Democrat himself (nationally, the cut-off is at 35). Young Dems might not have the same politics as Trump but you're fooling yourself if the people involved in Young Dems aren't just keen on learning how to politik dirty. They see the org as the prime opportunity to jump-start their own careers becoming the next Bobby Moak, and in return they have an overwhelming sense of superiority just for registering voters at their colleges, essentially. For example, the fact that Morse's incumbent opponent was MA College Dems largest donor is a gigantic red-flag.

Saying hello to someone on an app is not harassment unless you someone think that objective of every interaction between gay men is to fuck. Wokescold Zoomers harping on the "power imbalance" are wildly speculative that Morse would be vindictive to anyone rejecting him -- there is zero example of that -- it's just their projected homophobia of a scorned faggot being petty (internalized or not).

by Anonymousreply 150August 11, 2020 7:01 PM

There's a difference between the Young Democrats (who have had nothing to do with this that I'm aware of) and the UMass and Amherst College Democrats. Why would Morse's membership in Young Democrats have any bearing here when it's college-aged Democrats who have complained? And who have stated that there's no connection between the action they took and Neal's campaign:

“To suggest that our decision to send the letter to Mayor Morse was a quid pro quo with Rep. Neal, his campaign, or anyone else is untrue, disingenuous, and harmful,” the organization said Sunday in a statement released through its Twitter account.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151August 11, 2020 7:21 PM

Were any of the lads wearing jockstraps when they hooked up with him?

by Anonymousreply 152August 11, 2020 7:32 PM

Deadass, the MA college Dems calling criticism of their hit-piece disingenuous is pretty rich. They put out a vague, unsubstantiated, and borderline homophobic claim attacking the candidate that has a chance of defeating the incumbent (one that they already have a relationship with, to wit securing employment post-graduation). MA College Dems are doing a great job at learning obfuscation, yet it seems like the ones doing the most harm are MA College Dems, to themselves -- please don't tell me you truly think that some college student is truly traumatized that someone hit on them.

by Anonymousreply 153August 11, 2020 7:46 PM

hell hath no fury like a bottom scorned.

by Anonymousreply 154August 11, 2020 7:48 PM

A really, really dumb move. Several of them, in fact.

by Anonymousreply 155August 11, 2020 8:04 PM

Also as a real, actual socialist having Woke Left Twitter meltdown over a young mayor on Grindr is giving me all the confirmation I need that these kids aren't legitimate. If Morse fucked a 20-something year-old plumber no one would give a shit, but "STUDENTS MUST BE PROTECTED" reeks of bourgeois bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 156August 11, 2020 8:05 PM

FFS, it's consensual sex.

by Anonymousreply 157August 11, 2020 9:01 PM

He certainly looks like a predator

by Anonymousreply 158August 11, 2020 9:47 PM

So the thread about the gay guy running for Congress who had legal, consensual sex has 150 posts, but the thread about cute crippled republican guy who is a Nazi has 4 posts. Get your priorities in order people.

by Anonymousreply 159August 11, 2020 9:56 PM

Kitty Pryde THREW herself at Colossus when they were in space and it looked like they were going to die. Peter tells her she's too young.

Kitty: "I don't care. "

Colossus: "But I do."

I would have wanted him even more then.

by Anonymousreply 160August 11, 2020 10:03 PM

R159 : I think people are more interested in the guy who has a working penis.

by Anonymousreply 161August 11, 2020 11:16 PM

*properly functioning

by Anonymousreply 162August 11, 2020 11:17 PM

R38 My thoughts exactly.

by Anonymousreply 163August 11, 2020 11:41 PM

r156 is an idiot. It's considered unethical for professors to have sex with or hit on students, profs regularly get fired for that. Why defend someone who makes gays look bad and is a fringe candidate anyway?

by Anonymousreply 164August 12, 2020 1:40 AM

What R156 said. So true.

by Anonymousreply 165August 12, 2020 6:06 AM

People gave Mayor Pete shit for being too uptight but he had the right idea for the career he wanted.

Democrats are not Republicans, they will hold anyone accountable even within our own ranks. (Although some notable exceptions apply.)

He should have kept it in his pants, period.

by Anonymousreply 166August 12, 2020 7:42 AM

It clearly happened repeatedly. This guy sounds creepy as hell.

by Anonymousreply 167August 12, 2020 8:01 PM

I hope he makes it to Congress, we haven't had hot messy queen since Schock left. I bet this guy's interns will be scorching hot and ready to play!

by Anonymousreply 168August 12, 2020 8:05 PM

I doubt he'll vote against gay things like C.G. Schock, r168. I hope he makes it to Congress, too.

by Anonymousreply 169August 12, 2020 8:10 PM

R168 Right. Because that's what elected government is there for after all.

Generally speaking, I've found after living here that many Americans have a great deal of trouble following the rules, or at the very least don't like being told they need to follow any rules. Then there's often an outpouring of tea and sympathy for the fuck up who gets caught breaking such rules.

This is best currently demonstrated by the mask averse. If and when [italic] adults [/italic] choose to ignore or break the rules, personal accountability must be taken.

Others shouldn't obfuscate the actual situation with red herring arguments, i.e. pleas for others to check their "wokeness" or other such silliness. It makes the culture here look bad, when so many attempt to reason with faulty logic. Please stop trying to reward bad behaviour, and arguing for a "Wild West" mentality wherein everyone should be able to get away with everything they want all the time. It makes me feel very disillusioned in this country.

by Anonymousreply 170August 12, 2020 8:59 PM

A 31 yr old dating a an 18 yr old is perfectly fine. More power to him!

by Anonymousreply 171August 13, 2020 1:26 AM

r171, if you were a 30-year-old professor who had an affair with an 18-year-old student, you'd get fired

by Anonymousreply 172August 13, 2020 2:41 AM

[quote] f you were a 30-year-old professor who had an affair with an 18-year-old student, you'd get fire

No you wouldn’t . They were not his students. They were college age men but not students of him.

by Anonymousreply 173August 13, 2020 3:02 AM

Update on R74. That young DSA member is being roasted on Twitter for being a homophobe. Surprise surprise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174August 13, 2020 3:14 AM

some bitter bottom

by Anonymousreply 175August 13, 2020 3:16 AM

[171] Depends on the context and the university.

In the UK, for example, there are no university rules regulating the consensual sex lives of their employees or students.

by Anonymousreply 176August 13, 2020 3:20 AM

"No you wouldn’t . They were not his students. They were college age men but not students of him."

Nope, you'd still get fired.

by Anonymousreply 177August 13, 2020 3:28 AM

[R177]

lol, where? BYU? Liberty?

by Anonymousreply 178August 13, 2020 3:54 AM

If he dated 17-year-olds, you'd be calling him an evil pedophile who should get the death penalty....but 18 is so much more mature than 17, I guess

by Anonymousreply 179August 13, 2020 4:06 AM

r174, the people "roasting him" seem to think that criticizing one gay means you hate all gays

by Anonymousreply 180August 13, 2020 4:08 AM

So, seems like this was actually all made up by a supporter of his opponent

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181August 13, 2020 4:09 AM

By "they made it up" you mean they used stuff he actually did against him?

by Anonymousreply 182August 13, 2020 4:12 AM

In terms of actual complaints, yes. They knew he had dated students and tried to turn it into something it wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 183August 13, 2020 4:13 AM

[quote] They knew he had dated students and tried to turn it into something it wasn't.

Referring back to Op the guy even while playing the pity me the poor gay guy card he has admitted his actions were wrong. How do you spin him out of that?

“ However, I also recognize that I have to be cognizant of my position of power. I am committed to meeting with any person or group, including the College Dems, to answer any questions and address any concerns,” he wrote, referencing his struggle to accept his sexuality in high school after growing up closeted.

“As I’ve become more comfortable with myself and my sexuality, like any young, single, openly gay man, I have had consensual adult relationships, including some with college students,” Morse said. “Navigating life as both a young gay man and an elected official can be difficult, but that doesn’t excuse poor judgment.”

by Anonymousreply 184August 13, 2020 4:48 AM

I don't need to "spin" anything. He acknowledged his judgement was wrong to date students who attended the same college he worked at.

That's something entirely different from people conspiring to use the fact he dated some students to make it seem he was a predator, including attempting to lead him into making comments in private messages which they later planned to leak. These same people who then authored a letter claiming an anonymous person made a complaint to them. If they really thought his actions were problematic, why didn't they do anything a year ago, when the screenshots show they were fully aware of it? Instead, they were sending emails from fake email addresses to political reporters making vague claims of sleaze and saying that the reporters should contact them for more information. All whilst one of them was hoping to get an internship with his political opponent.

by Anonymousreply 185August 13, 2020 5:30 AM

[quote] attended the same college he worked at.

Obviously you didn’t attend any or you would know not to end a sentence with a preposition.

by Anonymousreply 186August 13, 2020 2:19 PM

He more than likely apologized because that's what you have to do when the twitterati have you backed into a corner, not because he really thought he was guilty.

by Anonymousreply 187August 13, 2020 2:42 PM

I hope R151 comes back and admits to falling for a smear.

by Anonymousreply 188August 13, 2020 3:12 PM

Damn. If I looked like this as a college student I'd be putting out homophobic self-hating hit pieces too...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189August 13, 2020 3:21 PM

These were not his students. The GOP will look for anything and they still think sex scandals are the best way.

by Anonymousreply 190August 13, 2020 3:29 PM

"Position of power"? Give me a break. College students aren't stupid

by Anonymousreply 191August 13, 2020 3:31 PM

[quote] Young Dems might not have the same politics as Trump but you're fooling yourself if the people involved in Young Dems aren't just keen on learning how to politik dirty.

I fully support that. Look what they're up against

by Anonymousreply 192August 13, 2020 3:32 PM

The damage is done i hate how this always hapoens to progressives.

by Anonymousreply 193August 13, 2020 3:46 PM

Ewww fucking troll trying to destroy a much hotter and successful gay.

by Anonymousreply 194August 13, 2020 3:54 PM

I'm getting Roland Schitt (Chris Elliot) vibes from this mayor. Anyone else find Morse reminds one of Elliot?

by Anonymousreply 195August 13, 2020 4:47 PM

"Timothy Ennis, the chief strategist for the UMass Amherst College Democrats, admitted in the chats that he was a “Neal Stan” and said he felt conflicted about involving the chapter of the College Democrats in a future attack on Morse. “But I need a job,” concluded Ennis. “Neal will give me an internship.” At the time, Ennis was president of the chapter, a post he held from April 2019 to April 2020, when he was term-limited out.

Leaders of the College Democrats group went beyond merely plans to leak. They also explicitly discussed how they could find Morse’s dating profiles and then lead him into saying something incriminating that would then damage his campaign."

That Intercept article is damning towards Ennis & his crew. Yikes. This reads like an episode of SVU.

by Anonymousreply 196August 13, 2020 5:05 PM

R188 Why would I do that when I'm also R64, who called it before anyone, in any response before mine, last Saturday?

"He's trying to primary Richie Neal, the incumbent, next month. [bold]Either he was set up or he really is an asshole or both. Still, the timing is anything but suspicious...[/bold]

And, as I did in R151, to quote (and link to the source, as I did, so the selected quote could be read in context) what local media reported is now to agree with what's being reported? Especially given what I wrote earlier? Only to R188, I guess.

I hope [R188] comes back and apologizes for trying to smear a poster he thinks he disagrees with, when in fact he has no basis at all to disagree with the contents of my posts.

by Anonymousreply 197August 13, 2020 5:06 PM

Breaking:

U.S. Rep. Richard E. Neal, D-Springfield, today disavowed any involvement by either himself or his campaign in the actions by the College Democrats of Massachusetts raising claims of inappropriate conduct by his opponent, Holyoke Mayor Alex B. Morse, with college students.

“I learned about the allegations against Mayor Morse the same way everyone else did, in The Daily Collegian last week,” Neal’s statement reads. “I also want to be clear I will not tolerate my name being associated with any homophobic attacks or efforts to criticize someone for who they choose to love. That’s inconsistent with my character and my values.”

It's a cop-out. Rep. Neal directly taught Ennis in a journalism class, and Ennis was obsessed with being staffed in Neal's office. It may not be quid pro quo in the sense of the hit-job being conditional, but there's obviously ratfucking going on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198August 13, 2020 7:21 PM

"Abramson shared a screenshot of the exchange with friends. “Not overt but it’s very clear he’s not talking to me for no reason,” he said. “Like read that message. Also don’t mind me totally leading him on.” He added that he accepted the message request “because why not.”

“This will sink his campaign,” Ennis said, calling it part of a pattern of Morse dating students. That conversation with Abramson appears to be connected to the charge that underlies the College Democrats’ statement against Morse, when they said that Morse “sought out students that he met at our events privately on social media, in a manner widely understood by our generation to indicate intimacy.”

After Ennis concluded the chats with Abramson would sink Morse’s campaign, the conversation between Morse and Abramson continued for another several weeks.

During that same time period, Ennis was a student in Neal’s “The Politician and The Journalist” class at UMass Amherst, and had been open with other members of the College Democrats about hoping to land a job with Neal, The Intercept reported Tuesday. Ennis, in the chats, quipped that perhaps he should leak the information by including it in a paper for Neal’s class.

Also last fall, Ennis was driving through New Hampshire with Clare Sheedy, a fellow College Democrat, as both were campaigning for Pete Buttigieg. “He spoke very highly of Mr. Neal,” Sheedy told The Intercept. “What he said to me was he wanted Neal to be his ‘in’ to politics and work his way up from there.”

Sheedy asked what he thought of Morse, and Ennis told him he is known for dating students and had recently matched on a dating app, Tinder, with a fellow College Democrat, and chatted with him via Instagram."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199August 13, 2020 7:28 PM

Ratfuckers will get their just desserts, maybe:

"Massachusetts Democratic Party chair Gus Bickford intends to convene a group to examine the conduct of college Democrats who leveled the allegations against Morse, according to a source who has spoken to the party leader. The state party has a policy to stay out of primary elections, so Bickford will convene the group after the Sept. 1 primary to avoid weighing in on the race. The College Democrats of Massachusetts did not respond to a request for comment last night"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200August 13, 2020 7:31 PM

Ironic, isn’t it, that the “Neal stan” — who wanted an internship with Neal’s office so badly — has now revealed himself as a fraud and a scammer. And he will never get that internship. In fact, he’s probably screwed himself from ever having much of a career in politics, or any.

by Anonymousreply 201August 13, 2020 8:43 PM

Plus he is fat and ugly, r201.

by Anonymousreply 202August 13, 2020 8:50 PM

The silence from those pushing this story is pretty deafening - from official accounts to Ennis and his cohorts to The Collegian and their writer who wrote the original story. The fact they're not even attempting to defend themselves suggests they realise how badly they fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 203August 13, 2020 9:01 PM

[quote] That Intercept article is damning towards Ennis & his crew.

The INTERCEPT? Any other time isn't that called a branch of Russian intelligence and propaganda? So doesn't that mean Putin is trying to smear a serving democratic congressman?

by Anonymousreply 204August 13, 2020 9:40 PM

Omg, where is the DL I know and love??? Why are we arguing about this? He IS cute. Sure it was a bit improper, but certainly not immoral or illegal.

R1 had it right, let's not destroy our own!! DJT is occupying the White House, his wife has public nudes, he is on record discussing "grab them by the pussy," Stormy Daniels is a trashy hooker (Get ur $$$ sis!). Republicans were going to elect creepy as Roy Moore. Now that we know BOTH parties do it, is his case the worse we've read??

Andrew Gillium was worth our vitriol yet that tea was too hot for you queens to condemn!

by Anonymousreply 205August 13, 2020 9:57 PM

DORK.

by Anonymousreply 206August 13, 2020 11:03 PM

R204 There are screenshots of chats, a witness has spoken out, and no-one has denied the story, so to pretend it's fake is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 207August 13, 2020 11:32 PM

So it's really a story about wannabe Karl Roves cropping up in College Democrat groups. That is kind of interesting.

by Anonymousreply 208August 14, 2020 12:54 AM

or he'll switch parties, r201, and at last find his ugly peeps. He'll have to embrace QAnon of course, but a small price to pay for an internship.

by Anonymousreply 209August 14, 2020 1:07 AM

Oh I have no doubt some DINOs will be more than willing to offer these idiots a job.

by Anonymousreply 210August 14, 2020 1:09 AM

Is Ennis a doppelgänger for Flounder?

by Anonymousreply 211August 14, 2020 2:00 AM

Lock this whore up! I only vote for upstanding folk.

by Anonymousreply 212August 14, 2020 12:28 PM

So far the worst you could call him, without risking laughter in your face, is 'a bit creepy' for possibly focusing on students in the school he barely lectured at, that were several years (he was in his 20s for most of any of this) younger than him. And we don't even know he focuses on them, just includes him in his app filters.

Slight impropriety isn't necessarily none of the public's business. Its alright to know some of these things, and people with concerns should be able to talk about then. Plenty of people think its perfectly fine for an employee of a local college to preposition students, again *adult* students, of both local colleges and his own local college. Plenty of people don't think its fine, but the fact of there being power dynamics at play here, doesn't mean those dynamics are extreme nor dangerous. Most relationships have power dynamics, and many of them that end up fine come from moderately concerning (but not alarming nor bad) power dynamics, because that's life. News of his actions could have came out in a different way, with a much less toxic discourse.

But now the story is of college power climbers with at best, an ambivalence about gay equality, willing to spread homophobia flavored allegations about an otherwise largely liked local politician. And at worst, they may be actually commissioned by this politician's also-Democratic rival to sink the campaign, tainting the party's image as pro-LGBT. Some heads will have to roll, and increasingly its looking like it won't be Morse's, barring some opposing revelation.

by Anonymousreply 213August 14, 2020 2:20 PM

*just includes THEM, and responds to them

by Anonymousreply 214August 14, 2020 2:20 PM

Messy bottom.

by Anonymousreply 215August 14, 2020 2:22 PM

Just disgusting innuendo. "Weekend" is obvious code.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216August 14, 2020 2:28 PM

[quote] Plenty of people think its perfectly fine for an employee of a local college to preposition students,

I think as long as he doesn’t show them his dangling participle it’s alright.

by Anonymousreply 217August 14, 2020 3:41 PM

[quote] Just disgusting innuendo.

That’s an Italian proctologist.

by Anonymousreply 218August 14, 2020 3:42 PM

UMass has retained counsel:

Natashia Tidwell, a partner at the Boston-based law firm of Saul Ewing Arnstein & Lehr, has been retained by the University of Massachusetts Amherst to conduct an independent, comprehensive review of allegations by the UMass Democrats, a student organization, concerning the alleged conduct of Holyoke Mayor Alex Morse, a former adjunct faculty member at the university.

As part of her investigation, Tidwell is asking members of the UMass Amherst community, as well as anyone else who may have relevant facts regarding the allegations, to contact her directly at natashia.tidwell@saul.com or 617-723-3300. She will respect the privacy interests of those who come forward.

Tidwell will take all appropriate time required to conduct a comprehensive review. No specific date has been set to complete the review.

The university’s confidential resource offices, including the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health, the Faculty and Staff Assistance program, and the Center for Women and Community, are available to individuals who may need support or have questions regarding confidentiality.

The university believes the nature of the allegations initially raised in the Massachusetts Daily Collegian necessitate a thorough and independent review, with the possibility of including a determination of whether students were subjected to a hostile learning environment as articulated in its campus policies, which are based on and guided by federal and state anti-discrimination law, including Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972.

Tidwell specializes in higher education, K-12 education, white collar and government litigation. She has led internal investigations for colleges, universities and independent secondary schools on a variety of matters, including Title IX.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219August 14, 2020 4:05 PM

Holy shit, they really tried it.

"[...]behind the scenes, the state party had been coordinating with the College Democrats of Massachusetts to launch those very allegations, according to five sources within the state party and connected to the CDMA, a review of messages between party leadership and the leadership of the CDMA, and call records obtained by The Intercept. The documents show that the Massachusetts Democratic Party’s executive director Veronica Martinez and chair Gus Bickford connected the students with attorneys, among them, the powerful state party figure and attorney Jim Roosevelt, who worked with the college group on a letter alleging Morse behaved inappropriately."

by Anonymousreply 220August 14, 2020 6:10 PM

"Martinez reached out to CDMA members repeatedly by phone and text from at least late July up to and including Thursday, records show. In text messages reviewed by The Intercept, Martinez takes an active role in directing the group on the strategy behind the letter before and after its release, including coaching on how to interact with the press."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221August 14, 2020 6:11 PM

Part II anyone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222August 14, 2020 7:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!