Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Beyoncé's 'Black Is King' attracts less than 4% of Disney+ users on debut weekend

Is the general public sick fo Beyoncé’s race hustling?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264August 19, 2020 2:57 AM

The audience was on Netflix. She messed up

by Anonymousreply 1August 7, 2020 3:57 PM

😴😴😴😴😴

by Anonymousreply 2August 7, 2020 3:58 PM

Why didn’t I get no goddamn Disney+ deal? Ain’t nothing little kids like better than fat pussy jokes! I should of got 10s of millions!

by Anonymousreply 3August 7, 2020 4:00 PM

Isn't it basically just Beyonce wearing a ton of different outfits and walking around?

by Anonymousreply 4August 7, 2020 4:01 PM

'Black Is King' sounds sexist - I disapprove.

by Anonymousreply 5August 7, 2020 4:02 PM

[quote]Isn't it basically just Beyonce wearing a ton of different outfits and walking around?

Worked for my on my TV show.

by Anonymousreply 6August 7, 2020 4:04 PM

Whatever..

by Anonymousreply 7August 7, 2020 4:09 PM

r1, yeah, Disney plus is for families and Marvel stuff, she must've already had a contract with them from the CGI Lion King redo.

by Anonymousreply 8August 7, 2020 4:11 PM

Beyoncé, Beyoncé, Beyoncé ! M

So annoying. She’s not all that, and her ego is off the charts plus her fans are so obnoxious

by Anonymousreply 9August 7, 2020 4:12 PM

It’s funny you mention this because I’m not seeing anyone write about it on FB. A little buzz the night of release then a big fat nothing.

by Anonymousreply 10August 7, 2020 4:13 PM

"Beyoncé's Black Is King could help save this sad excuse for a summer"

Typical media hype and it still bombed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 7, 2020 4:14 PM

R10 I've seen some Twitter gays talking about it but not that many, especially compared to Taylor Swift's new whiny album about her vagina throughout history.

by Anonymousreply 12August 7, 2020 4:16 PM

What does 4% of users indicate anyway?

What percentage of Disney subscribers watched Hamilton on its debut weekend?

What percentage of Netflix users watched The Irishman or that black and white film about the maid in Mexico?

If an album is downloaded XX amount of times or a film takes in XX dollars at the box office that's easily comparable with others, but this means nothing.

by Anonymousreply 13August 7, 2020 4:18 PM

Beyonce is all hype

by Anonymousreply 14August 7, 2020 4:18 PM

Its funny how when Black Americans want to celebrate their culture and be exclusive- its considered to be appropriate and completely justified. But, if people of any other racial background did the same, it would be considered totally racist and reprehensible.

by Anonymousreply 15August 7, 2020 4:19 PM

R15 4% must mean that only black supremacists watched it.

by Anonymousreply 16August 7, 2020 4:19 PM

R13:

[quote]Meanwhile, “Hamilton” — which made its debut on July 3 — continues to dominate. On average time spent on the Disney+ platform, users dedicated 22% of their time watching “Hamilton,” compared to only 2.2% for ‘Black Is King’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 7, 2020 4:21 PM

They found out she is in Epstein's book.

by Anonymousreply 18August 7, 2020 4:22 PM

Maybe black folks are finally getting tired of her recycled BS.

by Anonymousreply 19August 7, 2020 4:23 PM

I thought it was hilarious all the "critics" gushing over this like it was SO DIFFERENT.

It's just a rehash of the Lion King that already flopped.

Beyonce hasn't had a hit in ages.

by Anonymousreply 20August 7, 2020 4:24 PM

R21 but she got to wear a ton of different outfits while staring into the future!

by Anonymousreply 21August 7, 2020 4:25 PM

People are getting sick of being bashed by liberals for being white. Constantly making everything about race and females first is getting old.

by Anonymousreply 22August 7, 2020 4:25 PM

R22 Fuck off, you old racist coot.

by Anonymousreply 23August 7, 2020 4:26 PM

Everyone should have to watch it... BY LAW!!!

If I said it once I’ve said it a million times! 12% population, 99% representation... NOW!!!!

by Anonymousreply 24August 7, 2020 4:28 PM

Meanwhile, Ariana Grande's Disney special got the highest TV ratings since the Oscars and the Super Bowl.

Beyonce's numbers don't justify the fawning media coverage that she gets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 7, 2020 4:29 PM

I’m black and no fan of hers, but people complain about racism for the sole reason that ITS REAL!

I just think that Beyoncé is exploiting the issues to sell records. It’s not even like they are her thoughts and ideas...she’s too dumb to come up with stuff like that.

by Anonymousreply 26August 7, 2020 4:33 PM

Was too busy re-watching Hamilton.

Is it a music concert? What is it? I watched the one on Netflix but this one didn't interest me.

by Anonymousreply 27August 7, 2020 4:35 PM

Beyoncé’s “artistic” endeavors are basically fashion shoots! Yes she’s hardworking and a perfectionist but she needs to stop making these videos or movies or whether they are and stick to singing. She’s not an artistic genius, she’s a beautiful in shape popstar with a good voice and good dancing skills.

by Anonymousreply 28August 7, 2020 4:35 PM

Disney+ customers are mostly white fraus. There's your answer. Netflix has a more urban customer base.

by Anonymousreply 29August 7, 2020 4:52 PM

"Is the general public sick fo Beyoncé’s race hustling?"

No, but the general public is sick of the racism coming from Trumpsters like you

by Anonymousreply 30August 7, 2020 4:56 PM

"Its funny how when Black Americans want to celebrate their culture and be exclusive- its considered to be appropriate and completely justified. But, if people of any other racial background did the same, it would be considered totally racist and reprehensible."

Yawn, you sound like the idiots throwing "Straight pride" parades because they're too dim to understand the difference between being a minority and being in the majority

by Anonymousreply 31August 7, 2020 4:56 PM

Disney must now be regretting casting a black Ariel.

by Anonymousreply 32August 7, 2020 5:18 PM

[quote] Isn't it basically just Beyonce wearing a ton of different outfits and walking around?

Yes, but then so is life.

by Anonymousreply 33August 7, 2020 5:33 PM

If black is king, why does she so often dye her hair blonde as at r17?

by Anonymousreply 34August 7, 2020 5:33 PM

People that use the term "race hustling" are incredibly dumb pieces of shit, just like the ones that use "virtue signalling."

by Anonymousreply 35August 7, 2020 5:39 PM

I would rather look out the window than watch anything with Beyonce.

by Anonymousreply 36August 7, 2020 5:41 PM

R12 There's a big difference between Swift and Beyonce. Even if she is on decline since peaking with 1989, Swift is still relevant on pop markets (and she keeps most of her country fanbase), on the other hand Beyonce doesn't have a pop hit in ages. There's a lot of hype around Beyonce but once she went fully urban she became niche. And some of her last projects seem more like going with the trends that a natural interest in the themes.

Even i'm not a fan of her music i think she is a great artist but i never understood why gays support her unconditionally. Of all divas she is the one who showed less interest in her gay fans

by Anonymousreply 37August 7, 2020 5:41 PM

Honestly, if you go on the streets and ask anyone to name a Beyonce song. They will answer "Crazy in Love" or "Single Ladies". Her last big era was I Am Sasha Fierce, she hasn't really been a super big artist in a long time. Her most vocally impressive and best album was "4" but since that flopped she has been focusing far too much on overproduction and visuals at the cost of the music quality and lyricism. Since Lemonade she has been pandering hard to the "woke" crowd but anyone with a working brain and memory can remember that she has never spoke on politics or social issues and she flaunts her "Creole" mixed heritage all the time. Solange and Kelly Rowland both have more genuine artistry than Bey but get put to the sidelines due to being associated with her.

by Anonymousreply 38August 7, 2020 5:42 PM

The Lion King has as much to do with Africa than Aladdin has to do with Saudi Arabia. If she wanted to showcase African artists, designers and creators, she should have just funded their projects and put effort into promoting them. I feel she is trivializing all the beauty and talent that exist in various of African cultures by placing them in a live-action project that is attached to The Lion King and also putting herself into it. People are only going to check this out for Beyonce and The Lion King, not the Africans who worked on this project.

by Anonymousreply 39August 7, 2020 5:46 PM

And black people call shit like that of Beyoncé and this "music"? Oh, dear God in heaven!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 7, 2020 5:46 PM

R4, you just described roughly 75% of Beyonce's career

by Anonymousreply 41August 7, 2020 5:48 PM

I’ve never understood the hype around her.

by Anonymousreply 42August 7, 2020 5:52 PM

She's a moderate talent who's been hyped to hell and back as one of the greatest of all time. Bitch ain't Tina Turner or Diana Ross.

by Anonymousreply 43August 7, 2020 5:54 PM

The Beyhive is so ridiculous. Every fandom has toxic people but the Beyhive accuse people for being racist and sexist for not liking Beyonce. There are more talented black female artists out there today like FKA Twigs, Ebony Bones, Jamila Woods, Jazmine Sullivan, Ledisi, Amel Larrieux, Jennifer Hudson, Fantasia, the list goes on. Beyonce is a technically excellent singer but lacks soul and depth to her singing, she can sound beautiful but doesn't just isn't soulful or introspective. The fact the Beyhive act like Beyonce is the epitome of a black woman (despite wearing tons of weaves, having cosmetic surgery, flaunting her light skin and Creole mixture etc) and a consummate black artist (she is really just a pop star) is so insulting.

by Anonymousreply 44August 7, 2020 5:56 PM

Hooking up with that gross creepy hustler Jay was her biggest mistake. All his money and clout won’t save her from the reality that the minute she started dating him she stopped being fun, likeable, relatable and sexy i.e. the core requirements of being a hot pop-star that people want to hear and see.

Now the smart artistic thing for her to do post-DC would have been to go it alone and learn to write meaningful ballads (no, not ‘If I Were A Boy’ or whatever) and go for the Dionne niche, or segue into production & development for younger female talents like she once was. She could have built a stable or a label. She could have redefined soul. She could have been the black Joni.

But no, Bey insists on releasing trend-chaser overproduced rap-adjacent garbage and pimping out her image and her kids and her borrowed gimmicky, all to make more money and perpetuate the career which Daddy & Hubby bought for her at the expense of her black female friends & collaborators (rendering her feminism angle totally moot).

Being a woman and being black and being from the hood actually means nothing to her. She’s a hypocrite, and people hate that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 7, 2020 5:57 PM

Jill Scott should've been a big star. She's fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 46August 7, 2020 5:57 PM

Is she auto tuned?

by Anonymousreply 47August 7, 2020 5:58 PM

An army of fans salivating over her every move, cachet with the black community, and multiple times pregnant by huge baller dick. Bitch is living MY dream!

by Anonymousreply 48August 7, 2020 6:02 PM

[quote]There's a big difference between Swift and Beyonce.

Yes, Taylor Swift currently has the No. 1 album on Billboard 200. And about 20 songs on Billboard 100.

by Anonymousreply 49August 7, 2020 6:06 PM

[quote] or that black and white film about the maid in Mexico?

Hmmm. I'm betting you're one of those who didn't understand what Biden was saying about differences in minority issues.

by Anonymousreply 50August 7, 2020 6:11 PM

[quote] Honestly, if you go on the streets and ask any white girl/basic bitch to name a Beyonce song. They will answer "Crazy in Love" or "Single Ladies".

Fixed that for you

by Anonymousreply 51August 7, 2020 6:11 PM

Shingle ladiesh! Shingle ladiesh!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 7, 2020 6:16 PM

R45 Agreed she's wasting her talent. Which is a shame because she is one of the most vocally talented of her peers. 4 shouldn't have flopped because it was her best showcase of vocal skills. She has become all about image and not substance and is believing her own hype. She has stagnated into this trap sound since her Self-Titled album too.

Lemonade was sold on its visuals and media-fabricated story of an affair. The video Formation exploited the tragedies of police brutality and Hurricane Katrina. The irony is the music itself had very little to do with the visuals and the lyrics were very simplistic almost juvenile. It was just a pop album with excellent production and catchy beats. Overall, it seemed so cheap to rely on that to sell an album. Rihanna at least knows she makes fun pop music and doesn't pretend to be anything else.

Jay-Z is also irrelevant now in the current hip-hop world (no different than other aging rappers like Snoop, Nas, Busta and TI) and he's the biggest sell-out to his native Brooklyn (he supported building a sports stadium and gentrification). Neither he and Beyonce ever seemed down for the struggle or cause. Then because we entered a consciousness of fashionable "wokeness" and BLM protests, they releases albums like Lemonade, 4:44, Everything is Love and get involved with The Lion King.

Jay-Z does at least get called out for being a hypocrite because of the Tidal situation and the whole Super Bowl incident.

by Anonymousreply 53August 7, 2020 6:50 PM

[Quote] especially compared to Taylor Swift's new whiny album about her vagina throughout history.

Lmao

[Quote] All his money and clout won’t save her

They're not that rich and Bey has pissed off alot of writers for constantly screwing them over by taking the credit.

[Quote] Lemonade was sold on its visuals and media-fabricated story of an affair.

Well it wasn't exactly fabricated seeing as how he's had more than one affair.

by Anonymousreply 54August 8, 2020 8:09 AM

I didn't recognize her in the OP. She looks like Jazmine in Billing.

by Anonymousreply 55August 8, 2020 8:18 AM

Nobody gives a fuck about Beyonce, except for the woke press who use Beyonce to prove they're not racist in the same way they all say they want Idris Elba for James Bond.

by Anonymousreply 56August 8, 2020 8:41 AM

Hollywood is really pushing black programming all of a sudden, which is a problem since black Americans are less than 13 percent of the population. You might get a few woke white people to tune in, but they're not enough to move the needle on ratings, and, if the programming sucks, they'll be the first to tune out. Meanwhile, the more the black audience is fractured, the more *all* of those shows/one-offs will have shitty ratings.

Meanwhile, black representation in Hollywood was already around 20 percent (again, for a 13 percent population). The group that's actually underrepresented in Hollywood is the Latino community. IIRC, their representation is 6 percent when their actual population is 18 percent.

I hope the suddenly up-and-coming black actors who are benefiting from this trend are handling their money well, because it won't last. Things will settle back down to slight overrepresentation (maybe a white main character will have two token black friends, not just one) once this political moment blows over.

by Anonymousreply 57August 8, 2020 8:48 AM

The title is off putting.

by Anonymousreply 58August 8, 2020 8:49 AM

Sick of being Bashed by liberals for being white, woke press, race hustling. I love how insecure you racist trumpster twats are. Black women and lesbians scare you till you think posting your racist crap on a gay website makes you men. Hahahaha

by Anonymousreply 59August 8, 2020 8:57 AM

R57 Most Latinos look to close to white for Hollywood to care. It's all about the visuals.

by Anonymousreply 60August 8, 2020 9:11 AM

[quote]Disney must now be regretting casting a black Ariel.

The casting of that entire remake is ridiculous. She's weird looking and wall-eyed. Javier Bardem as Ariel's father, King Triton. How are they supposed to be related? Is Ariel an adopted mermaid? Prince Eric has a pig nose. Awkwafina as a squawking bird. Well, actually, that one fits. Melissa McCarthy could have been fun as Ursula before she got skinny. Are the new songs by Lin Manuel Miranda going to rapped? All of it directed by that hack, Rob Marshall. This is going to be a fucking disaster.

by Anonymousreply 61August 8, 2020 9:57 AM

Can someone with Disney+ actually watch it and report to us?

by Anonymousreply 62August 8, 2020 10:04 AM

Beyoncé

For films you can't wait to turn off

by Anonymousreply 63August 8, 2020 10:16 AM

R62 I watched it. It’s fine. Lots of pretty costumes set to pretentious wanna-be art music.

I think she’ll try and have her weird Björk phase next. The problem is there’s no “there” there.

by Anonymousreply 64August 8, 2020 11:36 AM

[quote] The casting of that entire remake is ridiculous. She's weird looking and wall-eyed. Javier Bardem as Ariel's father, King Triton. How are they supposed to be related? Is Ariel an adopted mermaid? Prince Eric has a pig nose. Awkwafina as a squawking bird. Well, actually, that one fits. Melissa McCarthy could have been fun as Ursula before she got skinny. Are the new songs by Lin Manuel Miranda going to rapped? All of it directed by that hack, Rob Marshall. This is going to be a fucking disaster.

If people watching can accept the concept of an underwater kingdom with singing crabs and talking birds then they wont have too much trouble accepting people of different skin colours being related.

Unless they’re obsessed with race of course.

by Anonymousreply 65August 8, 2020 12:03 PM

I’ve watched most of it. It’s gorgeous and over-the-top. Get high first.

by Anonymousreply 66August 8, 2020 12:08 PM

R65 Fantasy worlds have their rules too, you don't need to be "race obsessed" to realize that something just doesn't fit

by Anonymousreply 67August 8, 2020 12:29 PM

[quote] I think she’ll try and have her weird Björk phase next. The problem is there’s no “there” there.

Her sister Solange is the edgier one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 8, 2020 12:33 PM

The Beygency is coming for all y'all haters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 8, 2020 12:41 PM

R69 I like the first comment "this is so unrealistic, Beyonce fans are not this tame"

by Anonymousreply 70August 8, 2020 12:49 PM

I wouldn’t recognize her in OP’s photo. She looks like a linebacker.

by Anonymousreply 71August 8, 2020 12:54 PM

If black is king the why does she lighten her skin and have blonde in her hair?

by Anonymousreply 72August 8, 2020 1:07 PM

I’m so sick of weaves and extensions. I prefer to see a black woman with natural hair. My cousin in the suburbs comes into the city monthly to a hair salon that specializes in natural hair care for women of color. She looks fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 73August 8, 2020 1:40 PM

This was the WRONG time to be talking about "Black Is King." Just sayin'

Bey, baby, you just found out how they play ya when they done witcha! Just like Michael, Whitney, Prince, Janet and the rest - come on home, honey. We always cool.

by Anonymousreply 74August 8, 2020 2:59 PM

The truth Is when most people hear that title "Black is King", they think..."uh no it's not".

by Anonymousreply 75August 8, 2020 3:30 PM

Two young black Dutch artists, a Ghanaian-Dutch director and a Surinamese-Dutch choreographer, both got to work on this project, so it's great exposure for them and will open all kinds of doors. She hired only people of color for the project.

Apparently, all the servants featured in the movie (in the $125 million mansion that used to belong to William Randolph Hearst and serves as Simba's ancestral home) are white.

by Anonymousreply 76August 8, 2020 4:58 PM

R76 "Equality"

by Anonymousreply 77August 8, 2020 5:04 PM

r72: Excellent point. Has Beyonce had plastic surgery to whiten her features?

by Anonymousreply 78August 8, 2020 5:10 PM

I guess black is more like viscount or baron.

by Anonymousreply 79August 8, 2020 5:13 PM

Sure you are, R26, sure you are.

by Anonymousreply 80August 8, 2020 5:13 PM

She and her obnoxious husband arrived late at the Golden Globes and rudely brought their own champagne. That twat Reese Witherspoon decided to lick her arse by moving her chair to their table and getting pissed.

by Anonymousreply 81August 8, 2020 5:45 PM

Because Reese is an alkie and alkies go apeshit when they see free booze.

by Anonymousreply 82August 8, 2020 6:46 PM

R26 = Candace Owens

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83August 8, 2020 7:30 PM

FAILURE TROLL! That's the name I'm giving OP. Similar to the RIPers online who love to be first to mention a celebrity's death.....seems like there's an OP out there who loves to frame a discussion about a creative work of art by starting off considering it a failure.

There is no template for "success" with 1) Disney+ or 2) an extended music video/video album or 3) First weekend views. Disney+ didn't exist 12 months ago. There's no other musical artist doing these longform projects with massive budgets AND promotion. And Disney couldn't give a fuck how many people watched this completely unique type of programming in 3 days. Get back to them in 3 months or 3 years if you want to know how they feel about it internally, which doesn't matter anyway since there's no ad dollars or even direct revenue associated with this. You (and anyone else) just have no concept of how these numbers calculate inside Disney+. I just realized this deal could possibly be just about a marketing campaign for black membership. Maybe before they launched their polling showed lack of interest among black people and instead of dropping $30 million on ads, they made this project instead in order to sell the idea that there is content for black audiences on the platform.

Remember, HBO made prestige movies nobody would watch because HBO viewers were paying for the idea they could scroll through and find a movie on demand they would want to see if they wanted to do that. It was an idea that drove revenue, not the movies themselves.

Oh, and the numbers for BLACK IS KING are good. They got 2 million views in 3 days? Maybe 4 by the end of the week. They're probably happy with that anyway. 6-8 million in first 30 days. Those numbers are crazy good.

by Anonymousreply 84August 8, 2020 8:43 PM

Those numbers aren't impressive.

by Anonymousreply 85August 8, 2020 8:45 PM

R84, Those numbers are terrible, especially considering how much her special cost.

by Anonymousreply 86August 8, 2020 8:49 PM

Nice shilling for Disney there, SHILLey Winters!

by Anonymousreply 87August 8, 2020 8:49 PM

Disney still posted their first Q3 loss in 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 88August 8, 2020 8:51 PM

[Quote] I’m so sick of weaves and extensions. I prefer to see a black woman with natural hair.

I do too, but maybe they don't feel comfortable doing that in Hollywood. I remember seeing an actress make a post on Instagram about how she was just starting to get comfortable going natural and she's in her 30s.

by Anonymousreply 89August 9, 2020 4:02 AM

Quite frankly, there's a lot of white people--myself included--who would never watch anything--regardless of what it is--entitled 'Black is King'. That immediately made me think that not only am I not the target audience, but that I'm not even wanted or cared about as a viewer of whatever it is. As someone up thread mentioned in passing, if Disney+ put out something entitled 'White Is King', there would be riots, boycotts, etc. Beyonce pandered to her white customers for years, and all of a sudden after one, filmed Coachella performance wearing HBCU jerseys, her platform is "Black is King?" I'm not buying it, and neither are most of her white fans. (BTW, I don't count myself as a fan...I've thought she was overrated since she was in Destiny's Child.) One of my greatest feelings of joy was when she wasn't nominated for 'Dream Girls'. People have kissed her ass for so long for very little reason.

by Anonymousreply 90August 9, 2020 4:17 AM

You kiss her ass, and you like it!

BEY is KING!!!!

by Anonymousreply 91August 9, 2020 4:25 AM

And I'm still your messiah so I Trump you.

by Anonymousreply 92August 9, 2020 4:36 AM

It flops HARD. Bye has been

by Anonymousreply 93August 9, 2020 4:48 AM

[Quote] One of my greatest feelings of joy was when she wasn't nominated for 'Dream Girls'.

She wasn't memorable at all. I hope Bey didn't seriously think she deserved one.

by Anonymousreply 94August 9, 2020 5:17 AM

There's a reason they cast her as Deena: she's basically that for the modern era.

by Anonymousreply 95August 9, 2020 5:18 AM

Why is Beyonce always the lightest black person in her group photos/imagery with other black folk?

I'm put off by her putting herself in a position of where she's perceived to be the Queen or The One, she's such a fucking narcissist, I can't take her seriously.

by Anonymousreply 96August 9, 2020 5:47 AM

[quote]Apparently, all the servants featured in the movie (in the $125 million mansion that used to belong to William Randolph Hearst and serves as Simba's ancestral home) are white.

If I were a person of color, I'd be very uncomfortable with this. Not only is this the same kind of portrayal POC were once limited too (too wrongs don't fucking make a right, when will people realize that?), but it's over-the-top pandering and also disingenuous because it portrays a universe that is so far from reality.

It's like in the "Partition" (with her nauseatingly ugly husband) music video where she drops a napkin on the floor for no reason other than to have her maid, who's played by a thin, attractive, white woman, to pick it up.

In reality, that thin, attractive, white girl has every opportunity available to her, and Beyonce and Jay-Z's servants are all most likely illegal immigrant, dark-skinned Hispanic women of low socioeconomic backgrounds.

Also, if they did have a thin, white, attractive maid, Jay-Z would be fucking her behind Beyonce's back.

by Anonymousreply 97August 9, 2020 7:00 AM

[Quote] Also, if they did have a thin, white, attractive maid, Jay-Z would be fucking her behind Beyonce's back.

Hopefully he got that out of his system with Goop.

by Anonymousreply 98August 9, 2020 7:23 AM

What's with the obsession in the black community with queens, kings, princes, and other royal things? Nubian Queen. Black is King. Prince himself. It's weird.

by Anonymousreply 99August 9, 2020 7:34 AM

R98 you missed the "attractive" part of "thin, white, and attractive."

by Anonymousreply 100August 9, 2020 7:48 AM

R100 I don't think she is. But Jay obviously thought otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 101August 9, 2020 8:06 AM

Rihanna has to put out an album is what needs to happen.

by Anonymousreply 102August 9, 2020 8:23 AM

Obviously disney plus subscribers are all racist.

by Anonymousreply 103August 9, 2020 8:25 AM

India Arie. That's a true musical artist.

by Anonymousreply 104August 9, 2020 8:31 AM

R102 she's busy with Fenty Skin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105August 9, 2020 9:29 AM

The latest rumors about Rihanna is that her voice is gone because of drug abuse and she’s focusing more on her business. But I find it hard to believe. I don’t follow her but didn’t she recently release a CD.

by Anonymousreply 106August 9, 2020 9:57 AM

R106 Rihanna released single after single and album after album for years, i think she is getting a weel earned rest.

Anyway, Rihanna's voice sounds amazing on record but she is not a good singer live. I don't think Rihanna took herself so seriously as Beyonce, she knows she makes hits (some memorable other's not so much).

Beyonce is Madonna at the beginning of the 90's were she was incredibly popular but not as successful as her popularity. Anyway, Madonna still had hits at the beginning of the 90's, Beyonce's songs only have decent peaks because they peak in their first week when there's a lot of hype. She didn't have a real hit in ages

by Anonymousreply 107August 9, 2020 10:12 AM

one appearance on the Ed Sullvan show could give a performer a career for years....

by Anonymousreply 108August 9, 2020 11:13 AM

I can’t speak for everyone, but I’m currently watching the Marvel Cinematic Universe in chronological order, and it was Thor night. Beyoncé is going to have to wait.

I’ll get to her when I get to her.

by Anonymousreply 109August 9, 2020 12:02 PM

R99 we wuz Kangs!

by Anonymousreply 110August 9, 2020 12:29 PM

R99 I am also curious about this. Anyone got an answer?

by Anonymousreply 111August 9, 2020 2:52 PM

What IS this thing? Some kind of vanity project, where she and her buddies pose in ridiculous clothes in various tableaux, or something? It sounds beyond boring and narcissistic.

by Anonymousreply 112August 9, 2020 3:00 PM

[quote] What's with the obsession in the black community with queens, kings, princes, and other royal things? Nubian Queen. Black is King. Prince himself. It's weird.

To be fair, Prince was actually named Prince: Prince Rogers Nelson. If you want to beef with a name, take it up with Jermaine and Jermajesty.

Every group has its obsession with status. Look at the caste system in India or the European royals and royal watchers. It’s only a subset of black Americans who are into the whole “king/queen” bs. Ultimately it seems to be (over)compensation for a lack of status in American history, which is perfectly understandable.

However you don’t see black Africans or Afro-Caribbeans at all interested in the “king/queen” label. It’s a very American thing.

by Anonymousreply 113August 9, 2020 3:32 PM

It's the answer to having been enslaved - the reminder that their people were more than slaves and the subsequent aftermath of centuries of oppression. They are reminding one another that they are so much more than what the other peoples of the world think of them. Totally understandable, says me. Likewise, their overwhelming propensity to name their children these rather far-out sounding names (Rasheka, N'Quan, and Shaquiniqua among many others) is an attempt to get back to their roots. Remember that Blacks are the only people in the US who don't have their own native names. They don't know who they are like the Jews, Italians, Irish, Middle Easterners, etc.

by Anonymousreply 114August 9, 2020 4:28 PM

I agree with above posts - the title was very offputting. Black is King - what is the context for this?

What would a white person perceive from the title? It's about how black people are better - in whatever ways are portrayed in the production.

I looked it up just now and it is about an outcast young African king. OK - what does Black is King have anything to do with it?

The titling was over the top and actually offensive.

by Anonymousreply 115August 9, 2020 4:37 PM

What was Beyonce's last big hit?

by Anonymousreply 116August 9, 2020 4:39 PM

Like how they're always saying "We was kangs" in song lyrics, R114?

That's kind of sad, since no one thinks much of royalty anymore.

by Anonymousreply 117August 9, 2020 5:04 PM

Never mind, I see R110 got there ahead of me.

by Anonymousreply 118August 9, 2020 5:06 PM

R116 Drunk in love peaked at 2, but if my memory doesn't fail peaked in its first week and it was not even top 10 on pop.

She got number 1 with Ed Sheeran, but it was an Ed Sheeran song and it was originally released solo, frankly i don't think Beyonce added anything (it's like Rihanna's S&M with Britney, or Sam Smith's Stay with me with Mary J Blidge).

Her collaboration with Megan Thee Stalion was number one this year, but she was a featured artist.

Formation was number 10 in 2016.

Her last big era in terms of singles was I am Sascha Fierce in 2008. If i were a boy, Single ladies, Halo and Sweet dreams were all top 10 hits

by Anonymousreply 119August 9, 2020 5:11 PM

R119, correct. After all that media hype, she couldn't even get Drunk in Love to number one. At least Tommy Mottola managed to get Mariah's singles discounted--what great things has Jay Z done for Beyonce?

by Anonymousreply 120August 9, 2020 5:28 PM

R119, correct. After all that media hype, she couldn't even get Drunk in Love to number one. At least Tommy Mottola managed to get Mariah's singles discounted--what great things has Jay Z done for Beyonce?

by Anonymousreply 121August 9, 2020 5:28 PM

SO tired. So incredibly tired.

by Anonymousreply 122August 9, 2020 6:10 PM

Beyonce called her son "Sir Carter"?

by Anonymousreply 123August 9, 2020 6:24 PM

[quote]Formation was number 10 in 2016.

In fairness to Beyonce, she fucked up marketing that song.

I think it was her most commercial song in ages, but she gave it away to promote Tidal.

by Anonymousreply 124August 9, 2020 6:59 PM

Michael Jackson was ALL about how he is "King." He even called his kid Prince.

He was obsessed with pretending he was royalty, even having a throne.

He had paintings made of him being crowned. And had a HUGE royal coat-of-arms on the gates of his pedo-ranch Neverland.

by Anonymousreply 125August 9, 2020 7:01 PM

[quote] He had paintings made of him being crowned.

Being crowned King Pedo?

by Anonymousreply 126August 9, 2020 7:02 PM

Miss Jackson was one tacky pedo narcissist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127August 9, 2020 7:15 PM

Rihanna is a lot bigger than Beyonce globally.

Female musicians that debuted this century with the most #1 singles at official charts worldwide (lead artist):

1. Rihanna

2. Lady Gaga

3. Ariana Grande

4. Katy Perry

5. Pink

6. Adele

7. Taylor Swift

8. Beyonce

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128August 9, 2020 7:39 PM

More like Burger King. Oink oink...

by Anonymousreply 129August 9, 2020 7:42 PM

It's official.... FLOPONCE is here

by Anonymousreply 130August 9, 2020 7:44 PM

Rihanna was a hit machine, and she was featured in a lot of big hits too.

I think Beyonce is more famous than successful in a lot of parts of the world. Of couse her new urban sound is not as popular in other countries as it was her more pop/R&B songs.

And she is not getting younger, sooner or later age is a burden to get your song on the radio

R128 Taylor Swift has some merit because half of her career was on country music and outside USA country is not a popular genre

by Anonymousreply 131August 9, 2020 8:02 PM

R131 Swifty has no merit, her father bought her career for her.

by Anonymousreply 132August 9, 2020 8:09 PM

R132 That's bullshit. You can buy as many opportunities as you want, but if you don't have it and you don't have some luck you are toast, just ask Nicole Scherzinger.

And Swift is a star in countries that didn't listen to their country albums.

Like or dislike, the truth is she is one of the biggest pop stars right now. And she is quite good at reinvent herself, her career was on the decline since 1989 but her last album is a big hit right now everywhere

by Anonymousreply 133August 9, 2020 8:13 PM

Beyonce is sofa king we todd did.

by Anonymousreply 134August 9, 2020 8:20 PM

How does Beyonce keep her tits so pert at her age after 3 kids?

by Anonymousreply 135August 9, 2020 8:38 PM

Beyonce is an Italian android.

by Anonymousreply 136August 9, 2020 9:00 PM

Taylor has been huge in the rest of the world since 1989--that was her big crossover album.

by Anonymousreply 137August 9, 2020 10:13 PM

Beyonce is a commercial product with a manipulated, rather dumb, full-of-herself pop singer with a mediocre voice at the center of it.

Playing sexiest saint and ultimate madonna deserving of love and your money always has been a dangerous marketing ploy.

by Anonymousreply 138August 9, 2020 10:18 PM

Bjork is very talented.

Beyoncé hires people; she’s all hype. And yes, all the “servants” being white is so infantile and doesn’t aid the dialogue regarding race and class relations.

Beyoncé is Queen of Idiots.

by Anonymousreply 139August 9, 2020 10:26 PM

Like I already said upthread - Bey, baby - you already got they money honey, so come on home now!

by Anonymousreply 140August 9, 2020 10:32 PM

And if you're going to hire people, you have to remember that your job is to ENTERTAIN people. The more "artistic" pop stars try to be, the more they fail.

by Anonymousreply 141August 9, 2020 10:32 PM

Honestly, I've never been a fan. Her voice makes my skin crawl and it sounds like she's yelling at you all the time. Kelly Rowland is a much better singer IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 142August 9, 2020 10:35 PM

R142, no one thinks Kelly Rowland is better than Beyonce except deaf people

R139 is a racist white Republican

by Anonymousreply 143August 9, 2020 10:36 PM

I am not a racist anything and think Beyonce is OVER the Hill and not as talented as she wants the world to believe. She needs to take a seat and let others shine.

by Anonymousreply 144August 9, 2020 10:46 PM

I am neither white nor Republican. But according to you, a person of color who is a Democrat must not dislike Beyoncé.

That doesn’t even make sense in your reductive world. I like funky music and original stuff, not auto tuned boring shit.

by Anonymousreply 145August 9, 2020 11:10 PM

R145, only old white queens post on the datalounge. But this is the DL where if you call someone out on their Republican talking points, they'll automatically claim to be black and/or a Democrat. Republicans hate Beyonce because she's an Obama supporter. DLers seem to hate all black female celebs, aside from the one troll who lives homophobe Candace Owens

by Anonymousreply 146August 9, 2020 11:18 PM

^^ So you’re an old, white queen? You’re posting.

I like Rihanna.i like Jill Scott. I love R&B, but because I don’t like Beyoncé, I’m a Republican?

by Anonymousreply 147August 9, 2020 11:35 PM

R147, glad you caught that. If R146 is posting on here, they must be an old white queen.

by Anonymousreply 148August 9, 2020 11:37 PM

I'd rather watch The Incredibles 2 again. Then watch this overrated snob.

by Anonymousreply 149August 9, 2020 11:39 PM

I love R&B too, but can't stand this garbage ghetto shit.

Jill Scott, Erykah Badu, Maxwell etc. and that whole neo soul sound were fantastic, but unfortunately it all got pushed aside for ghetto ignorance. Lots of black people don't like what happened either.

by Anonymousreply 150August 9, 2020 11:39 PM

R150, this was such a great song by Maxwell. I was surprised to learn it was from a few years ago. I would have thought it was part of that whole 90s neo-soul thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151August 9, 2020 11:51 PM

I LOVE everything Maxwell has ever done. Lifetime is my favorite song of his. He should've been a major star, the man is an incredible talent.

by Anonymousreply 152August 9, 2020 11:52 PM

I’d rather watch [italic]Song of the South[/italic] and you’re a racist and a liar if you say otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 153August 10, 2020 12:21 AM

White Is King. There, that sets well, don’t it?

by Anonymousreply 154August 10, 2020 12:42 AM

The only colors Disney cares about are the green of money and the yellow running down their back’s.

by Anonymousreply 155August 10, 2020 12:53 AM

I thought black was orange now.

by Anonymousreply 156August 10, 2020 1:44 AM

[quote]Beyoncé's 'Black Is King' attracts less than 4% of Disney+ users on debut weekend

Chile, black people aint paying for no Disney+ during this recession, not even for Beyonce!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157August 10, 2020 1:48 AM

Notice how silent Bey was when Whitney died? She didn’t say anything about her death. Why not?

by Anonymousreply 158August 10, 2020 2:02 AM

She didn't want anyone to suspect that she and Whitney were Lovers!

by Anonymousreply 159August 10, 2020 2:06 AM

r147 that poster loves to call everyone who disagrees with him an old white queen, because it is an ageist racist. It can't comprehend that anyone might disagree with it or have a deeper understanding of a subject than it, so it seeks to shut down discussion immediately when it feels threatened. Threatening it, of course, only requires that one not agree wholeheartedly with whatever steaming turd has just issued forth from its lips.

by Anonymousreply 160August 10, 2020 2:08 AM

Didn't her father have a baby out of wedlock and try to sexually molest some other up and coming singer? She has Daddy issues. Her husband is not Prince either, more of a thugzilla, mmmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 161August 10, 2020 2:38 AM

R160, that poster shows up on any Janet or Beyonce thread.

by Anonymousreply 162August 10, 2020 2:41 AM

Beyonce is an amazing entertainer. But excellent singer? Nope. Her voice has an exceptionally unpleasant tone, especially when she goes for big notes.

by Anonymousreply 163August 10, 2020 2:50 AM

“Black Ariel” has fun music with her sister.

And they’re currently giving the young gays what they want in terms of style and even cameos from Drag Race queens.

Bey should take note.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164August 10, 2020 4:01 AM

She seems like a beat middle-aged woman now. Not surprised her schtick is no longer working. Like Kim and Kanye, she is mostly her own paid publicity with no substance.

by Anonymousreply 165August 10, 2020 4:17 AM

R165 - but she can crotch down and then kick! With a hairflip! So many hairflips! And pouty poses! And sexy outfits!

Hairflip - KICK - hairflip - Pouty Pose - hairflip - SUDDEN STOP - look down...pause - then HAIRFLIP BACK - and KICK!

by Anonymousreply 166August 10, 2020 4:24 AM

This is my favorite critique:

I think it's crap. I'm tired of seeing animal skin costumes portray of Africa. That's all I saw there. This is not how we dress for goodness sake... climbing in trees etc. I think this is how the Western world likes to imagine Africa. So it's for their consumption, not ours.

by Anonymousreply 167August 10, 2020 4:27 AM

Beyonce is 40, her time as a pop queen is coming to an end. Nobody can escape the march of time.

by Anonymousreply 168August 10, 2020 4:56 AM

Beyonce is kind of like a black medium talent Barbara Mandrell but with the hype machine generated by her husband trying to shove her down our throats. Mandrell was a medium talent like Beyonce, but at least she was likeable, friendly and didn't overhype herself.

by Anonymousreply 169August 10, 2020 5:01 AM

[quote] What's with the obsession in the black community with queens, kings, princes, and other royal things? Nubian Queen. Black is King. Prince himself. It's weird.

I agree—those crazy blacks!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170August 10, 2020 5:51 AM

And they sure do make up funny names for their babies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171August 10, 2020 5:55 AM

" Black is King - what is the context for this?

What would a white person perceive from the title?"

That Beyonce is making music for herself and other black people, and that she doesn't think about white people's fears and prejudices when she's entertaining.

I know this must be an unusual concept on an allegedly gay website where everyday there's a new thread wondering what straight white men are thinking, doing, liking or not liking.

I don't really care about Beyonce one way or another. She's no more interesting to me than Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, One Direction et. al. But she sure seems to be a lightning rod for racists.

by Anonymousreply 172August 10, 2020 6:47 AM

But two garbage hoes singing about their vaginas get more attention.

Culture is Dead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173August 10, 2020 6:54 AM

R170, white people love the drama of the royal family but they don't go around calling themselves and each other 'my queen', 'my king', 'majesty', 'prince', etc. and pretending they are actually royalty or would have been in any other circumstance but the one they find themselves in. It's almost like everyone being someone famous in their past lives. They all would have been kings and queens except for those evil whites. Yet, strangely, even those with the means to do so don't seem to be rushing back to Africa to claim their rightful thrones.

by Anonymousreply 174August 10, 2020 7:21 AM

Only a moron thinks saying “Black is King” and “White Is King” are opposites. You sound like All Lives Matter Trumpers.

by Anonymousreply 175August 10, 2020 10:52 AM

I am simply tired of Be-YAWN-ce.

by Anonymousreply 176August 10, 2020 11:32 AM

It‘s a bunch of music videos & I’ve aged out of music videos.

by Anonymousreply 177August 10, 2020 12:01 PM

She looks beat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178August 10, 2020 2:09 PM

I love how the proud black woman sports her natural hair, as you'd expect, since Black is King, after all.

Side note: That's the second longest philtrum I've ever seen in my life. Does she share a plastic surgeon with Stephen King?

by Anonymousreply 179August 10, 2020 2:33 PM

R172 - it's not racist to question the message that "Black is King" sends in these times. Particularly when it doesn't jive with the plotline.

It's just added to get attention and be provocative, but it doesn't mean that it isn't immune from criticism.

This was a show on Disney Channel - last time I checked, Disney Channel wasn't just for black people.

Get the fuck out of here with your disingenuous and false claims of racism.

by Anonymousreply 180August 10, 2020 2:38 PM

Beyonce is beautiful with enhancements. Beyonce has the money to keep her looks going, but I pray she doesn't become MADONNA!

Beyonce's Mother can teach Madonna a thing or two about aging with grace.

by Anonymousreply 181August 10, 2020 2:55 PM

I am not surprised it’s a flop.

by Anonymousreply 182August 10, 2020 3:04 PM

She is starting to look like Wendy Williams.

And if you think this flop just because she’s black, I got two words for you: [italic]Artemis Fowl[/italic]. That is going to be short hand for “bomb” for years to come in the house of mouse.

Seriously, what is going on at the studio?

by Anonymousreply 183August 10, 2020 3:28 PM

[quote] Beyonce's Mother can teach Madonna a thing or two about aging with grace.

Uh, what? Beyonce's Mother looks like a witch.

by Anonymousreply 184August 10, 2020 5:07 PM

Sooner or later, no matter how big you were, you lose relevancy.

Some people take it with dignity and keep doing their job (Bruce Springsteen) others are unable to accept that simple fact (Madonna).

Music is an ageist business and Beyonce is in it for more than two decades

by Anonymousreply 185August 10, 2020 7:03 PM

R185,, ageing is THE WORST for female pop stars--not just physically/mentally but in terms of catalogue sales as well. Pop music, by it's nature, does not create many memorable albums. Pop is about the singles, not albums. Michael Jackson is a big exception to this--everyone, including younger people, knows Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, etc. but how many people who aren't Madonna/Celine/Mariah fans can name True Blue, Let's Talk about Love, Falling Into You, Music Box, Daydream, etc? Not many. But many know Like a Prayer, Material Girl, La Isla Bonita, My Heart Will Go On, All I Want for Christmas, We Belong Together, Hero, etc. This is why on the list of legacy artists performing the best on spotify, there are only two female artists who make the top 40--Madonna and Mariah. The rest of the artists on that list all have albums that stream well, not just singles. This gives them an advantage among the general public.

by Anonymousreply 186August 10, 2020 7:10 PM

She makes me nervous.

by Anonymousreply 187August 11, 2020 3:46 AM

Isn’t this just an expensive vanity project? Like Captain EO that will be forgotten? Waste of money.

by Anonymousreply 188August 11, 2020 4:28 AM

[quote] Isn’t this just an expensive vanity project?

This makes the second one--I guess the first one was her album with Jay-Z that bombed. That would be their "Cleopatra".

by Anonymousreply 189August 11, 2020 6:40 AM

It happens to the best of us, Beybey. I knew your day would come just like mine did. I remained in your corner even when you told that lie that Tina Turner was the Queen. PSHT!! I enjoyed seeing your rise to the top, and I throw no shade as you pass me by on your way back down the ladder. Not every Diva can be an ICON!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190August 11, 2020 11:35 AM

Except, r172, Beyoncé isn't making music just for herself and other black people, she's supposedly making it for all of us. It's also not music (which shows just how much you know what you're talking about), it's a "musical film" she wrote. In fact, it's a film that came out on the Disney channel, which shows that she wasn't just making it for black people but for as wide an audience as possible, in particular for white people who make up the largest section of Disney's audience.

So, try again. "Black is king" as a title is basically telling white and other non-black people to fuck off is also of limited interest for black people who don't believe that "black is king", but simply want everyone to be equal. According to your logic, it would be perfectly fine if a white artist put out a record/film called "White is king", intended solely for a white audience.

by Anonymousreply 191August 11, 2020 12:22 PM

I hope she and Jay Z are finally over

by Anonymousreply 192August 11, 2020 12:58 PM

R192 he's treated her like shit for years. Why split now??

by Anonymousreply 193August 11, 2020 1:30 PM

R193, I think R192 means “over” in their popularity, not relationship.

by Anonymousreply 194August 13, 2020 5:08 AM

Maybe Beyoncé and Jay-Z should concentrate on their champagne business.

by Anonymousreply 195August 13, 2020 5:13 AM

go bleach ur skin som mo bey....ugh

by Anonymousreply 196August 13, 2020 5:23 AM

Bey Bey Bye Bye

by Anonymousreply 197August 13, 2020 6:32 AM

People here more interested in kelly ripa than beyonce.....amusing.

by Anonymousreply 198August 13, 2020 9:43 AM

Be-YAWN-cé

by Anonymousreply 199August 13, 2020 2:05 PM

Y’all are disappointed it wasn’t this black King:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200August 13, 2020 5:29 PM

R196, Beyonce's mother is Creole, hence Beyonce is naturally lighter skinned.

by Anonymousreply 201August 14, 2020 8:08 AM

R15 says: "Its funny how when Black Americans want to celebrate their culture and be exclusive- its considered to be appropriate and completely justified. But, if people of any other racial background did the same, it would be considered totally racist and reprehensible."

Nah. You're talking race when you should be talking ethnicity. Just because, thru the ancestry erasing methods of slavery, most Black-Americans don't know their actual country of origin so they ID as African-American doesn't mean you get to somehow forget that the German-American focused Octoberfest is celebrated in every major city in the U.S.. And people love it when Irish-Americans celebrate their culture, not just Irish-Americans. American Irish-Dancing loon Michael Flatley has toured across the land constantly for decades. Same with Polish-Americans, Norse-Americans, etc. They all have clubs, societies, gatherings, music, products, and entertainment enjoyed by all no problem. So give up your race-baiting and phony pearl clutching, ya bigot.

by Anonymousreply 202August 14, 2020 9:15 AM

Imagine thinking that we still lived in the pre-Twitter world like R202. Imagine so out of touch with reality in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 203August 14, 2020 4:44 PM

I bet she doesn’t have a word to say about Blacks who discriminate against other Black people for being gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204August 14, 2020 4:50 PM

even here follks not so interested in her any more, not bode well for her. hope she jus retire.

HER MOMMA IS SCARY!

by Anonymousreply 205August 15, 2020 5:04 PM

R87 I love that the SHILL TROLL chimes in on the FAILURE TROLL thread. Unless they are the same person? PS I wish I was getting paid Disney PR dollars.

R88 Thanks for adding your two cents about Disney's massive revenue dive after their theme parks shut down and entire summer film slate had to be pulled and somehow connecting it with the amount of people who watched (in three days) a long Beyonce music video that Disney happened to finance.

by Anonymousreply 206August 15, 2020 6:06 PM

Beyoncé could not care less about the gays. Unless they stop buying her boring music.

by Anonymousreply 207August 15, 2020 6:07 PM

It's annoying how the media keeps acting like everything this bitch does is so original revolutionary when she steals so many if her ideas from actually talented artists. Remember when she was bffs with fellow narcissist cunteth Paltrow and she would claim she was French and other ethnicities in a loreal commercial. That's obviously not popular anymore so she pretends she has a lot in common with the common black folk. Bleh.

by Anonymousreply 208August 15, 2020 6:09 PM

R208, I thought she still does all of that (including being BFFs with Paltrow).

by Anonymousreply 209August 15, 2020 6:12 PM

R207 Unfortunately that seems to be the truth.

She is probably the singer with most gay following that couldn't give a crap about them. Most of the other ones show love for their gay fans (even if it's for her own interest) but she seems to not care.

by Anonymousreply 210August 15, 2020 6:16 PM

Beyawnce is so obnoxious. The final straw for me was when she went all Lana Del Rey and dressed as a saint and had women worshipping her at the Grammys. I hate Adele's voice but was glad she won.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211August 15, 2020 6:21 PM

I recall going out to coffee with some AA members and We started to talk about music. We were all in our forties and fifties and we bemoaned the lack of true vocal talent in popular music. Why, oh why did I say that I didn’t care for Beyoncé? “HOW can you not like HER? It’s BEYONCÉ!”. I stood my ground, but the tension remained.

Even sober folks use bad judgment.

by Anonymousreply 212August 15, 2020 6:21 PM

I liked Beyonce until i her 3th album, she looked so happy and cheerful, now her songs are so pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 213August 15, 2020 6:25 PM

R212, I think it's so interesting that the people who are the most rabid Beyonce fans are either African Americans or white female SJWs.

by Anonymousreply 214August 15, 2020 6:31 PM

R213 The problem is not that they are pretentious the problem is that most of them are painfully bad.

Run the world was the moment everything derailed. So many writers for such crappy song.

And i find amazing the accusations of racism everytime she didn't get the best album grammy. She won tons of grammys but the grammys are racist because they don't give her the fucking best album award

by Anonymousreply 215August 15, 2020 6:33 PM

I thought she was wonderful in Destiny's Child.

by Anonymousreply 216August 15, 2020 6:38 PM

R216 Destiny's child were far more entertaining than Beyonce alone.

It's difficult to believe the same girls that sang Independent women were singing Soldier some years later, but they were fun. Well Beyonce at the beginning was fun too, but she took herself very seriously after while

by Anonymousreply 217August 15, 2020 6:42 PM

R214, I am black and I don’t care for her. I get in tons of trouble for this.

by Anonymousreply 218August 15, 2020 6:42 PM

She's one of the few big stars who have never performed at GAY in London. Almost every other big female act has. Kelly Rowland was there a few times. Britney, Adele, Msdge, Kylie, etc etc

by Anonymousreply 219August 15, 2020 6:44 PM

I love Kelly. She’s gorgeous and can sing.

by Anonymousreply 220August 15, 2020 6:48 PM

R218, I can only imagine. I told a black friend I thought Rihanna was better than Beyonce and they shuddered (half-jokingly, but still).

by Anonymousreply 221August 15, 2020 6:49 PM

At least Rihanna has personality.

by Anonymousreply 222August 15, 2020 6:55 PM

She’s looking rather... matronly in OP’s photo.

by Anonymousreply 223August 15, 2020 7:33 PM

[quote]She's one of the few big stars who have never performed at GAY in London.

And yet for some reason she’s considered a “gay icon”...even though she’s done nothing for gays.🙄

by Anonymousreply 224August 15, 2020 7:38 PM

I don’t think Beyonce gives one shit about gay people and I have no idea why any gay person would give one shit about her.

Rihanna is another story.

by Anonymousreply 225August 15, 2020 7:40 PM

Didn't Rihanna march in a gay pride event as well? Another reason to like her. And yes, she has tons of personality. She and Madonna are proof that creativity and personality matter more than talent in pop music (that's a good thing). Beyonce too, but in the opposite direction.

by Anonymousreply 226August 15, 2020 7:45 PM

R206 just admitted to being a Disney shill. It is well known that Disney has shills all over the internet spreading FUD about anyone questioning anything they do.

by Anonymousreply 227August 15, 2020 7:47 PM

Beyonces done more lipservice for the gay community than Rihanna has done. Ive never seen Rihanna directly ackwnoeldge the gay community let alone support it.

by Anonymousreply 228August 15, 2020 7:50 PM

Pia Zadora has done more for the gay community than Beyoncé.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229August 15, 2020 7:53 PM

[quote] Beyonces done more lipservice for the gay community than Rihanna has done. Ive never seen Rihanna directly ackwnoeldge the gay community let alone support it.

You're blind then

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230August 15, 2020 7:58 PM

On Twitter recently was the first time I’ve seen Beyoncé discourse, and it was amongst members of “black twitter.” Some people thought that the movie was a fetishization of Africa by a narcissist who grew up upper middle class in Houston, with no real roots in Africa. Others thought it was a moving tribute by a thoughtful artist that portrayed Africans and their history tastefully. Beyoncé’s mom even spoke up against the backlash. Then you had people upset that she used dark skinned South Asians because supposedly South Asians are very anti black or whatever

But there has for sure been discussions on Twitter about the weird “worship” around Beyoncé and the whole strange “worship me, I’m a goddess”. To be honest I miss the Beyoncé from 2000-2010

by Anonymousreply 231August 15, 2020 8:38 PM

Yeah, the “worship me” schtick is extremely off-putting, no matter who’s doing it—Michael Jackson, Madonna, Beyonce, et al. You want to be worshipped? Put out amazing music, and people will love you for it. They’ll even love you more for not being a narcissist about it. (I would hope. Maybe I’m wrong about that. God knows the narcissism hasn’t stopped those people from attaining gigantic fan bases.)

What I’ve heard of B’s music has been tuneless and forgettable—a bunch of melody fragments stitched together with hideous arrangements. Full disclosure, I’m a rock and roll guy, I don’t listen to Rihanna either, so I’m not the audience for this stuff. But I can recognize the pop appeal of a lot of R&B, soul, and some hip-hop-adjacent music. I’m not immune to the charms of good hooks. Beyoncé’s music doesn’t have hooks, at least not the kind that trigger the pleasure center in my brain. And there’s nothing else about it that appeals to me in any way.

The biggest impression her stuff ever made on me was when the Lemonade album came out, and there were a few prominent think-pieces written about how it’s not meant for consumption by white people, so whites shouldn’t try to understand it or talk about it, they should just buy it if they want to, and shut up about it. I was Facebook friends with a former co-worker at the time, a tall gawky 20something white lesbian who had moved to Portland and took up all kinds of SJW causes and was vocal about them on Facebook. I always understood her to be a very indie rock sort of person (she was a Sleater-Kinney fan if I recall), so I was really surprised when she praised Lemonade, said she couldn’t stop listening to it, but also was onboard with the whole “white people shouldn’t even TALK about this album” stance that someone had introduced in Salon or Slate or HuffPo (it had to be one of those).

The last impression that made on me was that Beyoncé made music that to my tastes was awful, and it was the stuff that certain white people claimed to love as part of a larger effort at virtue signaling. Which brings me to this:

[quote] People that use the term "race hustling" are incredibly dumb pieces of shit, just like the ones that use "virtue signalling."

I don’t know how ‘virtue signaling’ came to be known as a phrase that only racists and Republicans use. Maybe it was popularized by someone like Ben Shapiro? I don’t know. But it is a very real, very lame and bogus phenomenon seen among ‘woke’ people of all stripes. Almost always performed by middle class white people afflicted with white guilt or young progressives of all races who practice it full-time as part of their identity, when they often don’t even understand the issues they’re taking such a firm stance on. But I think most people realize this, and it’s really just one person here who pretends it isn’t a real thing.

by Anonymousreply 232August 15, 2020 10:14 PM

[quote] Then you had people upset that she used dark skinned South Asians because supposedly South Asians are very anti black or whatever

They are generally noticeably anti-black, TBH

by Anonymousreply 233August 15, 2020 10:15 PM

Which countries in South Asia? I want names.

by Anonymousreply 234August 15, 2020 10:17 PM

I think it probably goes both ways; I remember some black kids in my high school used to bully a nerdy Indian girl and call her “sand n word”.

by Anonymousreply 235August 15, 2020 10:49 PM

India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan, etc. all have anti-black attitudes--they are also very shadeist. But these countries are nowhere near as bad as East Asian countries.

by Anonymousreply 236August 15, 2020 11:00 PM

India barely acknowledges their Siddhi population...descendants of black African slaves brought to India in the 17-1800s...they are considered almost as bad untouchables.

by Anonymousreply 237August 16, 2020 6:53 AM

biddy done lost her shine, she know it, she scared she be in the bargain bin soon.......and u will huney.

by Anonymousreply 238August 16, 2020 11:30 AM

A word that means Disney:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239August 16, 2020 3:27 PM

All that royalty stuff is desperate magical thinking.

Why do they never want to go claim their birthright in their beautiful homeland?

by Anonymousreply 240August 16, 2020 6:04 PM

R234 LOL pretty much all of Asia, Asians are obscenely racist especially towards blacks. Some Asian countries still do black face on television and think it's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 241August 16, 2020 6:33 PM

r241, can confirm.

by Anonymousreply 242August 16, 2020 6:37 PM

R241 That's at least the Hollywood excuse to not cast black actors as leads on blockbusters. You can delete the 30 seconds gay scene but you can't delete the black main character.

by Anonymousreply 243August 16, 2020 7:36 PM

Honey, They Shrunk The Black Guy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244August 16, 2020 7:38 PM

r244, that's totally something China would do. Not surprised.

by Anonymousreply 245August 16, 2020 7:53 PM

R244 Well, at least they can't delete him from the movie

by Anonymousreply 246August 16, 2020 8:12 PM

[quote][R244] Well, at least they can't delete him from the movie

I could have always replaced him in an emergency.

by Anonymousreply 247August 16, 2020 8:26 PM

Beyoncé is the most uninteresting big star I know of- should I be able to associate any music with her? Or any movie? She was part of a girl group, and was in Dream Girls (a very mediocre film) and then became a big star- mostly what I associate with her is big production and costuming to cover up a moderately plump woman working it very hard. I don’t get her at all.

by Anonymousreply 248August 16, 2020 9:49 PM

With Beyonce, there is also nothing exciting about her rise to stardom. It seems so manufactured and paved for her by her father. It makes her less endearing.

by Anonymousreply 249August 16, 2020 10:12 PM

[quote]With Beyonce, there is also nothing exciting about her rise to stardom.

Well I loved the drama that surrounded Destiny's Children the early 2000s. I was a teenager then and everyone thought Beyonce was a bitch for kicking those girls out the group. My sisters thought she got her karma when Kelly had that song with Nelly that played on the radio 24/7, making her the big star of the group. Then in 2003 Beyonce completely snatched the wigs off the whole world.

by Anonymousreply 250August 16, 2020 10:32 PM

R250, I always thought it was her dad who did all that for her.

by Anonymousreply 251August 17, 2020 1:08 AM

Just as popular as “White Is King” would be with black audiences.

by Anonymousreply 252August 17, 2020 1:16 PM

r252 has summed it up.

by Anonymousreply 253August 17, 2020 1:28 PM

When I visited Thailand during my Navy enlistment, I saw a brand of toothpaste called...’Darkie’. With a caricature of a dark skinned black man with big lips. Made by P&G, an American corporation. Sold in South Asian markets. I actually wrote Procter & Gamble about this. Never heard from them. But a few years later, they changed the name to ‘Darlie’. Most likely, other people complained about it as well. There was a black advocacy group that worked hard on improving the image of black folks living in Asian countries for a while. They were featured in EBONY and ESSENCE magazines. Maybe it was them.

by Anonymousreply 254August 17, 2020 1:58 PM

I just watched this last night with my black girl friend who was champing at the bit to see this. After about 20 minutes, we were bored- endless madonna and child visualizations, 1000 sparkly bodysuits, body painted guys and and the music was completely unmemorable. I ask asked her about the title, saying, "Why doesn't she say, "Black is Queen" (being all about female empowerment) or something similar?", and she had to explain to me how she read that B wanted to tell her son not to be ashamed of being black and be proud. We both agreed that this project didn't convey that. We fast forwarded it to look at the costumes, Kelly Rowland but NOT Solange made an appearance. The Shade! The best song was near the end of the program, being rapped by a female rapper.

I'm sure the budget for this rivals a low budget Blumhouse movie.

by Anonymousreply 255August 17, 2020 5:05 PM

Without Marvel’s involvement, almost every movie at Disney with the word black in its name has been a flop.

by Anonymousreply 256August 17, 2020 5:16 PM

I looked up the "story" and this is it according to Wiki:

[quote]A young African king is cast out from his family into an unforgiving world. He subsequently undergoes a journey "through betrayal, love and self-identity" to reclaim his throne, using the guidance of his ancestors and childhood love. The story is told through the voices of present-day black artists.

So...

The Lion King, AGAIN, except with humans? I'm confused why she would take on such a similar project after the aggressive publicity campaign of TLK.

by Anonymousreply 257August 17, 2020 8:42 PM

does she really crawl into bed with that thing she is married to ????

by Anonymousreply 258August 18, 2020 11:20 AM

Say what you will about Janet Jackson but she was doing this stuff decades before Beyonce and she didn't need a Disney tie-in to make it happen.

by Anonymousreply 259August 18, 2020 7:04 PM

What do DL fashionistas think of the dresses? I loved thinking it couldn’t go any more over the top and then it does.

by Anonymousreply 260August 18, 2020 7:12 PM

R165 she's been looking pretty bad for awhile. Remember this hysterical DL thread entitled "Welp, it’s over for Beyoncé looks wise"?

So much for "black don't crack."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261August 18, 2020 8:08 PM

[quote]So much for "black don't crack."

Little known black history fact: 2006 Disney Christmas special when Beyonce's lacefront wig glue cracked

Probably a bigger contribution to black culture than this mess. Beyonce's beauty secret was out and black women had lace front wigs flying off the shelves after this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262August 18, 2020 11:10 PM

Is this already in the "Tired Hall of Fame"?????

by Anonymousreply 263August 18, 2020 11:58 PM

I think her fake belly folding was much better.

by Anonymousreply 264August 19, 2020 2:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!