Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

People who are unfairly vilified...

I’ll start with Hillary Clinton, since she owns this thread.

But there are plenty more...

Who do you nominate for being unfairly vilified in the media and/or popular culture?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168February 2, 2021 9:29 PM

Madonna. She's the Queen of Pop!

by Anonymousreply 1August 7, 2020 6:08 AM

Dan rather got screwed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 7, 2020 6:08 AM

Karen Lynn Gorney

by Anonymousreply 3August 7, 2020 6:09 AM

If this were 5 years ago, I would say Madonna,

But she has gone full cray so I’m not so sure she qualifies at this point.

by Anonymousreply 4August 7, 2020 6:13 AM

Monica Lewinsky

by Anonymousreply 5August 7, 2020 6:33 AM

Meghan Markle. I don't get the hysteria or the racism.

by Anonymousreply 6August 7, 2020 6:51 AM

R6 I detest Meghan Markle. She is like some kind of virus that has taken over the media.

by Anonymousreply 7August 7, 2020 6:59 AM

The Yvonne Troll

by Anonymousreply 8August 7, 2020 7:01 AM

Pee-Wee Herman

by Anonymousreply 9August 7, 2020 7:15 AM

Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 10August 7, 2020 7:24 AM

R9 I second this. When you hear about Paul Rubens, you think he must have exposed himself to children. But no; he was masterbating in a public theater. That is what you are supposed to do in those places. He should not have lost his career because of it.

by Anonymousreply 11August 7, 2020 7:29 AM

Scrappy Doo

by Anonymousreply 12August 7, 2020 8:03 AM

Considering the responses, this thread needs to be re-titled to people who were fairly vilified.

by Anonymousreply 13August 7, 2020 8:11 AM

Jane Fucking Fonda

(Seems that every white man over 60 wants to spit on her every time she shows up in the news. It's shameful. It was 1972! Move on.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 7, 2020 8:12 AM

Julia Gillard.

I hate her now because of her comments about gays and some of her policies and public appointments which have proved very destructive but even so she never deserved (and still doesn't) all that sexism thrown at her by other politicians, the general public and most of the media (including lots of women WFS). Very shameful.

I would also like to say that her carbon emissions trading scheme was one of the high points of her leadership.

by Anonymousreply 15August 7, 2020 8:24 AM

nope R14, she was an entitled weed. fuck 'er.

by Anonymousreply 16August 7, 2020 8:30 AM

FBI agents Peter Strzok and Lisa Page.

by Anonymousreply 17August 7, 2020 8:36 AM

Me.

by Anonymousreply 18August 7, 2020 8:45 AM

Patsy Ramsey

by Anonymousreply 19August 7, 2020 8:53 AM

R14 Yeah, what she did was dumb but the level of hatred is nonsensical. Why aren't all these angry vets raging at the government/military scum who sent them there? If I lost my legs in Nam I would spend every day hating the war mongers who caused my pain, not obsessing over some Hollywood actress .

by Anonymousreply 20August 7, 2020 9:29 AM

Another vote for Pee wee, the media made his arrest sound far worse than it was.

I'll add Meryl Streep. Sick of all the drooling idiots who think she had some special responsibility to single handedly stop Harvey Weinsteins . She's being singled out for supposedly knowing something that 90 percent of actors were aware of. Meryl Streep is an actor with her own life and career not the den mother of Hollywood .

by Anonymousreply 21August 7, 2020 9:34 AM

me...

by Anonymousreply 22August 7, 2020 1:01 PM

Al Franken.

by Anonymousreply 23August 7, 2020 1:59 PM

R21 M. deserves to be singled for her 'I didn't know'. Of course she knew - everybody in Hollywood had heard rumours. They aren't wrong for not speaking out because she couldn't prove it (the rumours or maybe even more) but once he was exposed they (including M.) could have at least admitted that they had heard rumours. All this 'I never heard anything' is bullshit. It is not just M. there was also Judi Stench.

by Anonymousreply 24August 7, 2020 2:12 PM

Donald Sutherland accompanied Jane Fonda on that trip to Vietnam but you don’t hear vets complaining about him.

by Anonymousreply 25August 7, 2020 2:19 PM

but i love children

by Anonymousreply 26August 7, 2020 2:29 PM

Richard Jewell who was falsely suspected as the perpetrator of the Centennial Olympic Park bombing at the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia. He was cleared as a suspect after 88 days of public scrutiny.

by Anonymousreply 27August 7, 2020 2:31 PM

Most of the men taken out by #metoo. Most of it was bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 28August 7, 2020 2:32 PM

So-called "Pharma Bro" Martin Shkreli for raising drug prices for medical insurance companies (a common practice) while offering those same drugs at discounted rates for those who did not have coverage (not so common). Of course, Big Pharma had to take him down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 7, 2020 2:33 PM

I'm a Pee Wee Herman fan, but he's not so innocent... Him and Jeffrey Jones were up to some shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 7, 2020 2:34 PM

I was vilified after my daughter's....unfortunate demise. But where was my appreciation for allowing her to live as long as she did?

The adults were just as ungrateful as that pint-sized harlot, if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 31August 7, 2020 2:35 PM

The Duchess of Windsor; if she hadn't come along Britain might be a state of Germany right now. Jackie Onassis; i would have married Onassis too after what she'd been through. Marilyn Monroe; she was terribly mentally ill and ill treated by everyone, terrible upbringing etc.

by Anonymousreply 32August 7, 2020 2:41 PM

R32, you are absolutely correct about the Duchess of Windsor, but that is exactly why she was vilified - a cover for the real reason Edward was forced to abdicate.

by Anonymousreply 33August 7, 2020 2:43 PM

Georgina chapman

by Anonymousreply 34August 7, 2020 2:44 PM

Donald Trump

by Anonymousreply 35August 7, 2020 2:46 PM

Sinead O'Connor after tearing up the Pope on SNL.

The Chicks, formerly Dixie.

Definitely PeeWee. I think he owns this thread far more than Hillary. She's not innocent. (I voted for her 3 times, '08 primary and twice in '16)

by Anonymousreply 36August 7, 2020 2:48 PM

R34 - nah - she knew who and what she was wearing. Every female star was forced to wear Marchesa on the red carpet.

I will second Jane Fonda - it's been decades of abuse over something that wasn't that big of a deal. And she went in 1972 - way after the peak of the fighting.

For my money, not enough men are FAIRLY villified. Republican politicians seem to get a pass - there are so many of them, but Cheney should be persona non grata.

It's typically women who are villified - and we need to ask ourselves why. Straight white men just don't get the same hatred - they're even lauded.

by Anonymousreply 37August 7, 2020 2:50 PM

Jane Fonda for sure. She apologized multiple times. She showed real contrition. It was decades ago, and she wasn't even entirely wrong; it was an unjust war! But no, deplorables crucify her at every mention. Such hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 38August 7, 2020 2:52 PM

[quote]FBI agents Peter Strzok and Lisa Page.

R17 Trump continues to bring up their names in his pressers when he starts rambling about the Mueller report and the FBI. He did it again just last week. He calls them "the lovers, Peter Strzok and Lisa Page." What a pig. They're on the record as trying to put their lives back together.

by Anonymousreply 39August 7, 2020 2:53 PM

General David Petraeus

by Anonymousreply 40August 7, 2020 2:55 PM

Jane needn't have apologized but I'd do that trivial thing too if I were in her position simply for peace of mind and to get on with life.

by Anonymousreply 41August 7, 2020 2:55 PM

Meghan Markle - For being uppity enough to marry a white prince

Mayor Pete - For not being sassy, prissy or mincing

Paula Dean - Because a white woman of certain age from the south may have said the N word.

Hartley Sawyer - For having a bad sense of humor

Melissa Reeves - For liking a social media post

JK Rowling - For a having a different viewpoint on a complex issue

Scarlett Johansson - For wanting to do her job

by Anonymousreply 42August 7, 2020 3:00 PM

Jane Fonda is a good actress and she managed to pull off a very emotional and contrite apology. Actions speak louder than words and what has she done for the Vietnam vets? Nothing. Many of us hated our involvement in that war but we didn't despise the young men who were forced with a decision: serve or leave the country.

by Anonymousreply 43August 7, 2020 3:00 PM

Anthony Fauci co-owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 44August 7, 2020 3:07 PM

R43 - she donated a lot of money and time to Veterans Against Vietnam to, y'know, stop the war. What did YOU do?

And she never despised the young men who were forced to go. YOU are the tool.

by Anonymousreply 45August 7, 2020 3:16 PM

R45 We're not going to change readers' opinions because of some emotional tirades on a DL thread. We're all here to state our opinions. Let's just read them and move on. Thank you for your response.

by Anonymousreply 46August 7, 2020 3:31 PM

R46/R43 - you're not immune to criticism. You don't just make false inflammatory statements based on nothing and we just accept it.

You made a shitty comment. You insinuated she despised the GI's, called her a tool, and said she did nothing for vets. All false.

Maybe you should tone down your emotional and unfounded responses if you don't like the criticisms you get.

by Anonymousreply 47August 7, 2020 3:40 PM

[Quote] Many of us hated our involvement in that war but we didn't despise the young men who were forced with a decision: serve or leave the country

These young men could have fought the right fight, fought the right enemy like Jane and Ali did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 7, 2020 4:02 PM

Ellen.

by Anonymousreply 49August 7, 2020 5:08 PM

Bernie Sanders

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 7, 2020 5:13 PM

Lady Gaga

by Anonymousreply 51August 7, 2020 5:57 PM

Martha Stewart.

Gwyneth Paltrow.

by Anonymousreply 52August 7, 2020 6:02 PM

The Musical Pet Shop Boys Troll.

I miss that dude!

by Anonymousreply 53August 7, 2020 6:08 PM

Jussie Smollett

by Anonymousreply 54August 7, 2020 6:38 PM

[quote] He calls them "the lovers, Peter Strzok and Lisa Page." What a pig.

I always wonder why Stormy Daniels isn't mentioned every time Trump's name is mentioned. Democrats just don't go for the jugular like Trump does.

It should be Trump who had sex with Stormy Daniels while his wife was having her son and Trump paid off with $130,000 for her silence is doing nothing to stop the Covid -19 crisis. Trump who had sex with Stormy Daniels while his wife was having her son and Trump paid off with $130,000 for her silence called Putin again today. Trump who had sex with Stormy Daniels while his wife was having her son and Trump paid off with $130,000 for her silence signed his 178th executive order today.

by Anonymousreply 55August 8, 2020 3:01 PM

Glenn Close. It’s not a crime to be horse faced, with middling talent.

by Anonymousreply 56August 8, 2020 3:13 PM

Kevin Spacey

by Anonymousreply 57August 8, 2020 3:39 PM

Paula Deen- yes, her past racist comments were awful. But, the Duck Dynasty family seems a lot worse than her and their careers didn't destroyed as much as hers.

by Anonymousreply 58August 8, 2020 3:47 PM

Jussie Smollet

by Anonymousreply 59August 8, 2020 3:53 PM

She's still a vomitous self-patronizing stereotype, R58.

by Anonymousreply 60August 8, 2020 4:52 PM

The Duchess of Cornwall. I know she was a bit of a whore, but so was Diana.

by Anonymousreply 61August 8, 2020 10:46 PM

Harvey

by Anonymousreply 62August 9, 2020 1:36 AM

[quote] Donald Sutherland accompanied Jane Fonda on that trip to Vietnam but you don’t hear vets complaining about him.

Maybe because he's Canadian?

by Anonymousreply 63August 9, 2020 1:55 AM

Jennifer Lawrence

by Anonymousreply 64August 9, 2020 4:19 AM

Jennifer Lawrence

by Anonymousreply 65August 9, 2020 4:19 AM

George Clooney.

He is an upstanding guy and anyone who says otherwise is just uniformed and can take a flying leap....off a cliff.

by Anonymousreply 66August 9, 2020 3:19 PM

Nickelback

by Anonymousreply 67August 9, 2020 5:10 PM

Anthony Weiner was over-vilified. Largely because headline writers wanted to stick a fork in Weiner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 9, 2020 5:38 PM

Monica Lewinsky. She was a 22-year-old White House intern and her life was more or less ruined.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 9, 2020 5:41 PM

She did what she wanted. It's ironic Republicans went after her and Clinton with raw dogging whore banger tRump in office.

by Anonymousreply 70August 9, 2020 5:45 PM

Lorne Michaels

by Anonymousreply 71August 9, 2020 5:46 PM

Joan Davis. People say she copied Lucille Ball in I Love Lucy. That cannot be possible since I Married Joan and I Love Lucy both premiered in the same year. Now, apologize.

by Anonymousreply 72August 9, 2020 10:40 PM

Melania

by Anonymousreply 73August 9, 2020 10:42 PM

Hillary gave away the family pet cat. How more evil can you get. Then two years later she ran over the dog.

by Anonymousreply 74August 9, 2020 10:49 PM

R74 Well, to be fair Socks was a hideous tuxedo cat.

by Anonymousreply 75August 9, 2020 11:36 PM

Also Socks was a cat. Cat! Next you'll be saying she killed the family rat in the kitchen trash out in the back.

It's not like she gave away their dog.

by Anonymousreply 76August 9, 2020 11:43 PM

Didn't GWB's cat die mysteriously at the White House?

by Anonymousreply 77August 9, 2020 11:50 PM

Matt Lauer, because he was making too much money and was a little too smug and a little too douchey.

by Anonymousreply 78August 10, 2020 12:26 AM

Kim Cattrall for not wanting to do another crappy SATC movie.

by Anonymousreply 79August 10, 2020 12:31 AM

R78 no I think it was the alleged rape button he had on his desk that locked the door not his money or smugness that got him vilified.

by Anonymousreply 80August 10, 2020 12:33 AM

Real Question: why is it that some people are teflon, they can do the worst crap and it doesn't stick to them, no one cares or people forgive them.

And then others, it's sort of the opposite--any minor error is amplified and people use it as proof that they are the worst person in the world.

by Anonymousreply 81August 10, 2020 12:37 AM

That "rape button" was taken out of context and overblown.

by Anonymousreply 82August 10, 2020 12:41 AM

jane fonda! apologized countless times over the decades, her heart was in the right place, (the war WAS wrong!) she has given money to vets, met with them, and has contributed to society from her acting, her charities, her activism, and so on and so on, much that the general public has no idea of....

by Anonymousreply 83August 10, 2020 12:43 AM

R28 You are completely full of shit. Most of the big names in that scandal immediately admitted they were guilty. And no one would have wanted to work with them after that. They THEMSELVES ruined or hurt their own careers.

by Anonymousreply 84August 10, 2020 12:43 AM

Gary Hart

Joey Luft

Lorna Luft

Sally Struthers

Fatty Arbuckle

Eleanor Roosevelt

by Anonymousreply 85August 10, 2020 1:02 AM

Good lord. The Jane Fonda defenders/apologists really need to get over it. It was all 50 years ago.

Jane and her career have recovered quite nicely. She's had a much longer and illustrious acting career than many of her contemporaries.

I'm sure she may have misgivings about the way she was perceived, but she's moved on. Time to do the same, guys.

by Anonymousreply 86August 10, 2020 1:04 AM

Me. Here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87August 10, 2020 1:07 AM

[quote] Monica Lewinsky

She was definitely villified in her time. But she brings up the scandal every chance she gets even today.

by Anonymousreply 88August 10, 2020 1:08 AM

[quote] Hillary gave away the family pet cat. How more evil can you get.

Exactly my thoughts!

by Anonymousreply 89August 10, 2020 1:14 AM

Judas

by Anonymousreply 90August 10, 2020 2:06 AM

"Glenn Close. It’s not a crime to be horse faced, with middling talent."

Since when has Glenn Close ever been "vilified?" Seems you're the only one doing that, you dumb fuck.

by Anonymousreply 91August 10, 2020 2:11 AM

A great many people on this thread have very FAIRLY been "vilified." A lot of them deserved exactly what they got.

by Anonymousreply 92August 10, 2020 2:13 AM

Tonya Harding.

by Anonymousreply 93August 10, 2020 2:14 AM

[quote]M. deserves to be singled for her 'I didn't know'. Of course she knew - everybody in Hollywood had heard rumours.

M doesn't even live in Hollywood, so it's very likely that she didn't know.

by Anonymousreply 94August 10, 2020 2:28 AM

Roseanne.

Yes, she made some racially disparaging comments about a racially-ambiguous looking woman. But firing her from her own show that she created and was named after her, and then continuing the show without her...was too extreme.

by Anonymousreply 95August 10, 2020 2:30 AM

Tina Fey and Martin Short were unfairly blamed for the suicide of a weirdo plastic surgeon.

by Anonymousreply 96August 10, 2020 2:47 AM

Lady Gaga is unfairly NOT villified. She really should be considering her desperation and that idiotic duet + music video with R Kelly that she only disowned years later.

by Anonymousreply 97August 10, 2020 3:03 AM

Osama Bin Laden

by Anonymousreply 98August 10, 2020 3:03 AM

Michael Jackson. He just gave those kids what they wanted!!! Can any of you say wouldn't have done the same thing????

by Anonymousreply 99August 10, 2020 3:04 AM

[quote] Anthony Weiner was over-vilified.

The first time, yes. But the fact that he continued to do that shit AFTER he was publicly humiliated makes him a dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 100August 10, 2020 3:06 AM

I can't stand Meryl but I think it was weird she was villified by Rose McGowan for "knowing" about Harvey Weinstein. So did everyone else--why is that Meryl's responsibility to bring him down?

by Anonymousreply 101August 10, 2020 3:09 AM

Shannen Doherty--people on DL have reported that Shannen was actually not the bitch on the Charmed set, the real bitch was Alyssa Milano. Shannen was a mess in her younger years but as an adult, she's not.

by Anonymousreply 102August 10, 2020 3:10 AM

Gloria Estefan. It's not like she steered the boat to decapitate the guy on the Jetski while she was singing,"The Rhythm is Gonna Get You" and clarifying to him "And, by the way--this boats name is 'The Rhythm'!"

It. Was. An. Accident!

by Anonymousreply 103August 10, 2020 3:13 AM

[quote]I can't stand Meryl but I think it was weird she was villified by Rose McGowan for "knowing" about Harvey Weinstein. So did everyone else--why is that Meryl's responsibility to bring him down?

Rose McGowan is batshit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 104August 10, 2020 3:32 AM

On here, fat people.

The level of vitriol is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 105August 10, 2020 3:36 AM

Meh. Most everyone mentioned on here is awful.

And, HRC is really a horrid woman. I'd take her over Fat Fuck Trump as president but just barely.

by Anonymousreply 106August 10, 2020 4:55 AM

R101 Because M. (like Judi Stench) kept screeching that she didn't know. Of course she would have at least heard of rumours and rumours that Harvey was an all round arsehole. If she (and Stench) had at least said they'd heard rumours nobody would be shitting on them.

After all hearing rumours doesn't mean you have to go public with them. M. is a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 107August 10, 2020 9:10 AM

Amanda Know and her cute Italian boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 108August 10, 2020 9:50 AM

Joan Crawford.

Most of you on here cannot seem to stand children and yet you make tasteless remarks about the wonderful Joan Crawford who gave her children a better life that they would otherwise have had.

by Anonymousreply 109August 10, 2020 6:33 PM

Mrs. Steele, There had to be some truth to the stories told about Joan by her daughter, or she would not have cut Christina and her brother out of the will.

by Anonymousreply 110August 14, 2020 3:57 AM

Matthew Broderick. Just because he sucked in every role he played that was originated by someone else doesn't make Ferris Bueller any less iconic. And just because he married Sarah Jessica Parker doesn't mean he would actually fuck a real horse if he could get away with it. And it's not like he ran over that guy on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 111August 14, 2020 4:11 AM

Shut up, Kim.

by Anonymousreply 112August 14, 2020 4:18 AM

[quote]Joan Davis. People say she copied Lucille Ball in I Love Lucy. That cannot be possible since I Married Joan and I Love Lucy both premiered in the same year. Now, apologize. —Brad

Many of the early [italic]I Love Lucy[/italic] episodes were remakes of [italic]My Favorite Husband[/italic], and when they tried to port that over to TV without Lucy or Richard Denning, it flopped.

by Anonymousreply 113August 14, 2020 4:20 AM

President Jimmy Carter

He actually believed the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the USAF and Army, the CIA and the rest of the intelligence community knew what they were doing when they told him the Iran Hostage Rescue mission would be easy peasy.

Carter took the fall for the Pentagon's arrogance and criminal incompetence.

by Anonymousreply 114August 14, 2020 4:40 AM

[quote] Paula Deen- yes, her past racist comments were awful. But, the Duck Dynasty family seems a lot worse than her and their careers didn't destroyed as much as hers.

That's because they attacked gays and not Blacks.

by Anonymousreply 115August 14, 2020 4:45 AM

At the moment, Kamala Harris. The attacks from Trump supporters equals the venom spewed towards the Obamas.

by Anonymousreply 116August 14, 2020 6:40 AM

Matthew Broderick killed 2 people. There was speculation he had been drinking at the time, but nothing came of DUI charges:

[quote]On August 5, 1987, while driving a rented BMW 316 in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland, Broderick crossed into the wrong lane and collided head-on with a Volvo. The driver, Anna Gallagher, 28, and her mother, Margaret Doherty, 63, were both killed instantly. He was vacationing with Jennifer Grey, whom he had begun dating in semi-secrecy during the filming of Ferris Bueller's Day Off; the crash publicly revealed their relationship. He had a fractured leg and ribs, a concussion, and a collapsed lung. Grey received minor injuries, including whiplash.

[quote]Broderick told police he had no recollection of the crash and did not know why he had been in the wrong lane: "What I first remember is waking up in the hospital, with a very strange feeling going on in my leg." He was charged with causing death by dangerous driving and faced up to five years in prison, but was convicted of the lesser charge of careless driving and fined.

[quote]The victims' son and brother, Martin Doherty, called the verdict "a travesty of justice". He later forgave Broderick, amid plans to meet him in 2003. In February 2012, when Broderick was featured in a multi-million-dollar Honda commercial aired during the Super Bowl, Doherty said the meeting had not taken place and that Broderick "wasn't the greatest choice of drivers, knowing his past."

by Anonymousreply 117August 14, 2020 2:26 PM

In short, Matthew Broderick is a POS for reasons having nothing to do with his being closeted (or not) or married to Seabiscuit.

He's also the most overrated talent in the history of Bway theatre.

by Anonymousreply 118August 14, 2020 2:29 PM

The Obamas for having the audacity to be well-educated and successful black people with a national platform.

by Anonymousreply 119August 14, 2020 2:45 PM

Brad Pitt is constantly vilified by Angelina Jolie, even though she always fails. That must be exhausting for him.

by Anonymousreply 120August 14, 2020 2:48 PM

There's a lot of dirt about both Brad and Angie (substance abuse! bad parenting! multiple sex partners, including same sex!) just waiting to be spilled by an insider. Possibly one of the kids, when they come of age.

by Anonymousreply 121August 14, 2020 3:05 PM

Kevin Spacey is unfairly villified as a pedophile and sexual predator for something that allegedly happened in 1984. All of the more recent accusations have him making passes on adult men which somehow got categorized as pedpophelia by the mainstream media.

They would never throw that word around so easily about straight actors.

by Anonymousreply 122August 14, 2020 3:16 PM

I agree, R122

by Anonymousreply 123August 14, 2020 4:41 PM

R122 has a point about Spacey being labeled a pedophile, at least.

If Kevin Spacey weren't so universally reviled in the industry, he'd be having a better time of it. But he's widely disliked by his peers and some members of the press.

by Anonymousreply 124August 14, 2020 4:54 PM

Tell me about it.

by Anonymousreply 125August 14, 2020 4:59 PM

R124, Social media and the mainstream media is why he’s had a hard time. People are homophobic and doesn’t take a lot to get people to think gays are pedophiles or threats to them or their children.

by Anonymousreply 126August 14, 2020 5:04 PM

[quote] President Jimmy Carter

Carter was also responsible for the 80s economic expansion but people view him as a failure on that front. Reagan took credit when it was Carter who appointed Volcker to the Fed. It was Volcker who decided to crush stagflation. And Reagan wanted to fire him!!!

by Anonymousreply 127August 14, 2020 6:31 PM

R105 types morbidly obese.

by Anonymousreply 128August 14, 2020 6:36 PM

Nick clegg

by Anonymousreply 129August 15, 2020 6:02 PM

Petraeus was a killer. No fotgiveness there. Rather was always a sell-out to the CIA. Why should we care?

by Anonymousreply 130August 15, 2020 6:15 PM

Trump... way too many people freaking out over nothing

by Anonymousreply 131August 15, 2020 6:50 PM

R131 Whatever, Jared.

by Anonymousreply 132August 15, 2020 10:22 PM

Al Frankin.

by Anonymousreply 133August 15, 2020 10:26 PM

Interesting thread idea. I second Gwyneth Paltrow. She is a great actress. And Lena Dunham. Yes they can both be annoying, but the hate Especially for the latter, is deranged.

by Anonymousreply 134August 15, 2020 11:10 PM

Gwyneth Patlrow, great actress? No. She's fine, but nothing spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 135August 15, 2020 11:12 PM

I'm sorry, we have to vilify Gwyenie for GOOP. That shit is unforgivable.

by Anonymousreply 136August 16, 2020 12:34 AM

Bonnie Franklin and Linda Lavin

by Anonymousreply 137August 16, 2020 12:43 AM

Yes I think Gwyneth Paltrow was great in The Royal Tenebaums, Emma, The Talented Mr Ripley and yes Shakespeare in Love. Great. She is also great in the terrible The Politician. She impressed me. Greatly.

by Anonymousreply 138August 16, 2020 1:23 PM

Rose McGowan

by Anonymousreply 139August 16, 2020 3:35 PM

Linda Tripp

by Anonymousreply 140August 16, 2020 3:37 PM

Maria Sharapova

by Anonymousreply 141August 16, 2020 3:39 PM

I think of 5 reasons why every person mentioned on this thread is vilified. This thread is just for superfans who insist on stanning for the faves, no matter how problematic they are. Next.

by Anonymousreply 142August 16, 2020 3:42 PM

^I can think of 5 reasons why

by Anonymousreply 143August 16, 2020 3:42 PM

Who vilified Sally Struthers?

by Anonymousreply 144August 16, 2020 3:45 PM

^ South Park!

by Anonymousreply 145August 16, 2020 8:39 PM

Who villified her, R5? I'd say the republicans including Jonah Goldberg's mother, and the really ugly and jealous Linda Tripp, used her viciously, causing her more embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 146August 16, 2020 9:42 PM

Journalists and prominent Democratic women were just awful to Monica Lewinsky at the time of the scandal. She was young, dumb, and naive at the time, but she was slut-shamed and vilified by women writers as if she were Eva Braun taking down their Daddy-Jesus.

Lewinsky has written about it in recent years.

by Anonymousreply 147August 17, 2020 1:00 AM

R147, they should have gone after Tripp more.

by Anonymousreply 148August 17, 2020 1:06 AM

Edward Snowden

by Anonymousreply 149August 17, 2020 2:03 PM

Hillary deserved everything she got, and more.

by Anonymousreply 150August 17, 2020 2:11 PM

I think Meghan Markle is unfairly maligned by some fussy Brits...I mean, considering none of us really know her.

The hate seems to be directed at her because she’s an American interloper, plus the fact that she’s biracial [italic](quelle horreur!)[/italic] Of course she’s an actress, and her public persona could be a fraud - as are many performers’. But she seems lovely and perfectly fine to me. I don’t get what she’s supposedly done that’s so unforgivable.

by Anonymousreply 151August 17, 2020 4:56 PM

^^ I get the sense it’s the result of jealousy, too. And from over worshiping the monarchy. These fussbudgets think, “If I had attained my dream and married into the royal family, I’D show that ungrateful guttersnipe how it’s done!”

by Anonymousreply 152August 17, 2020 5:12 PM

[quote] Journalists and prominent Democratic women were just awful to Monica Lewinsky at the time of the scandal. She was young, dumb, and naive at the time, but she was slut-shamed and vilified by women writers as if she were Eva Braun taking down their Daddy-Jesus. Lewinsky has written about it in recent years.

John Waters actually said of her “she deserved it“ in the original DVD commentary for [italic]Serial Mom[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 153August 17, 2020 5:13 PM

Who the fuck has been saying Donald Trump?! I’ve never known a cretin more deserving of vilification.

by Anonymousreply 154August 17, 2020 5:15 PM

The late Chicago Mayor Richard J. Daley, who once stood before the media and declared - and this is an absolutely true story:

"I have been vilified!

I have been crucified!

Yes, I have even been criticized!"

by Anonymousreply 155August 17, 2020 5:27 PM

John Wilkes Booth

An actor and a Democrat who, by shooting the racist Rethug warmonger Abraham Lincoln, prevented him from sending Black people back to Africa.

by Anonymousreply 156August 17, 2020 6:08 PM

Charles Manson

by Anonymousreply 157August 17, 2020 6:53 PM

Thank god no one on hear has said Lance Armstrong. He fully deserved his villification.

by Anonymousreply 158August 17, 2020 6:58 PM

Remember when Lance Armstrong tried a fat joke on Oprah during his confession interview? That didn’t go over well.

by Anonymousreply 159February 2, 2021 7:29 PM

Brian Williams

by Anonymousreply 160February 2, 2021 7:33 PM

Billy Bush

by Anonymousreply 161February 2, 2021 7:33 PM

J K Rowling and the crusade against her by Trannys

by Anonymousreply 162February 2, 2021 7:34 PM

Susan Sarandon.

by Anonymousreply 163February 2, 2021 7:39 PM

[quote]It's typically women who are villified - and we need to ask ourselves why. Straight white men just don't get the same hatred

Good example is General Petraeus and his biographer, Paula Broadwell. They were both married to other people and had an affair, however, he continued unscathed in government service but she was reviled.

by Anonymousreply 164February 2, 2021 7:47 PM

I stopped reading after r45.

i don't know who you are and I know this thread is old.

But God bless you.

by Anonymousreply 165February 2, 2021 7:47 PM

And bump.

Great conversation and why DL is still relevant.

by Anonymousreply 166February 2, 2021 7:49 PM

R160 Brian Williams deserved to be vilified. He's a 'reporter' for godsakes. But he preferred to lie and make up stories. He's a narcissist who got caught. He was NOT unfairly vilified.

by Anonymousreply 167February 2, 2021 7:50 PM

AOC catches hell.

by Anonymousreply 168February 2, 2021 9:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!