Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Private Equity Buys Our DNA

This will not end well.

Blackstone Group is taking a majority stake in DNA testing business Ancestry.com.

The private-equity giant headed by billionaire Stephen Schwarzman is acquiring 75 percent of the family history research business for $4.7 billion, Bloomberg reports.

The acquisition would be the first for Blackstone’s massive $25 billion private equity fund.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 12, 2020 1:08 PM

LOL

Given the goldmine of data they have about people who submitted samples, the comically limited legal restrictions on what they can do with it, and the highly profitable uses to which it can be put from insurance coverage to targeted selling, how could anyone be surprised that it would attract private equity firms.

"but, but, their company policies say..." - I laughed every time someone used their self-enforced, without repercussions policies to defend sending samples to them.

by Anonymousreply 1August 5, 2020 5:06 PM

Next season on "Westworld" ...

by Anonymousreply 2August 5, 2020 5:18 PM

LOL.

I keep telling people not to do this. this is the worst thing you can do.

Unless you're adopted and need info etc.

by Anonymousreply 3August 5, 2020 5:18 PM

This can’t happen. It has to be stopped.

by Anonymousreply 4August 5, 2020 5:54 PM

This is the part of the movie just before everybody dies.

by Anonymousreply 5August 5, 2020 5:56 PM

Hmm, sending off your most personal blueprint to a private company... how COULD I lose?

by Anonymousreply 6August 5, 2020 5:57 PM

I admit to being slow on the uptake here. Sending your DNA in the mail so your ancestry can be confirmed... if your ancestry can be confirmed, your DNA can be kept and stored and used to clone a little you. Many of them. Or mix them together and clone a little whtatsit out of your DNA and mine. Bloody Hell...

by Anonymousreply 7August 5, 2020 6:29 PM

they Own everything. What’s next? There is noting next. DNA is everything.

by Anonymousreply 8August 5, 2020 6:38 PM

They also own 99% of the media so you’re not going to be reading about this much in the news. Sadly.

by Anonymousreply 9August 5, 2020 6:39 PM

Pffft! What’s the worst thing that could happen?

by Anonymousreply 10August 5, 2020 6:40 PM

The next stage of this is that Blackstone persuades (bribes) Republican members of Congress to weaken pre-existing condition clauses just enough that Insurance companies can increase the monthly rates on anyone who has DNA markers for higher risk for diabetes, cancer, obesity, etc. Virtually everyone could have those markers (we are not complete slaves to our genetics, because lifestyle plays a huge role).

by Anonymousreply 11August 5, 2020 6:40 PM

Aren't the police solving cold cases via Ancestry.com and the other one 21+1 whatever it's called. That's a good thing. The downside awaits us ... I will not be sending my DNA in; in the scenario set out by R11, I will be deemed to be worthy of the highest possible monthly rates as I will be deemed to be in the worst risk category by default of refusing to submit my DNA.

by Anonymousreply 12August 5, 2020 7:07 PM

They can piece your DNA together from siblings, cousins etc., also who hasn’t had lab work? You think labs are secure?

by Anonymousreply 13August 5, 2020 7:15 PM

R11 all these things occurred to me AFTER I decided to send of my spit to, not ONLY, Ancestry.com but also to 23andMe.

I have no fucking idea why I did both. I guess, miraculously, one of them would have said I'm of Nordic descent (I'm soooo clearly not!). Grrr really mad at myself for having been so gullible about this entire thing. 😡🤬

by Anonymousreply 14August 5, 2020 7:25 PM

Not mine. I had tbe sense to oppose this sort of tbing from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 15August 5, 2020 7:39 PM

I sent my dog Rupert’s DNA to an animal DNA testing site called wisdom. Will he be safe?

by Anonymousreply 16August 5, 2020 8:36 PM

This is NOT good!

by Anonymousreply 17August 9, 2020 10:23 PM

And people here kept telling me I was being an alarmist on some ofnthe earlier Ancestry/21Me threads

by Anonymousreply 18August 9, 2020 10:28 PM

I don't understand why anybody would even want to find out their ancestry. At best it's boring, at worst it's disturbing. Secrets are secrets for a reason, and my family is fucked up enough on the surface for me to know I sure as hell don't want to go digging beneath said surface.

by Anonymousreply 19August 9, 2020 10:34 PM

R16 did the results claim your dog has cat ancestry in him? If so...HE IN DANGER GURL.

by Anonymousreply 20August 9, 2020 10:35 PM

Man! We got PLAYED ya'all!!!! This is so scary. This is the beginning of the end for your privacy! They have your DNA!!!

Big Brother is gonna know where we are, where we came from, geotracking our current locations, reading our texts, monitoring our online activity!!!! Science fiction is real life!!!

I GIVE UP!!! TAKE ME NOW!!! LOCK ME UP!!! CANCEL ME!!!

The only difference between us and China, is that it's a private company that is tracking us, instead of the government!!! (Allegedly)

by Anonymousreply 21August 9, 2020 10:35 PM

You gave your DNA away and now are upset over this?

by Anonymousreply 22August 9, 2020 10:55 PM

R21 if there were ever a time for justifiable schizophrenia the time is now. “They’re Listening!!!”

by Anonymousreply 23August 9, 2020 11:56 PM

I thought you were talking about this type of DNA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 10, 2020 12:12 AM

Dear old Blackstone, well-practiced in the art of handing over private customer information to unauthorized parties.

[quote]The agents, with the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency, or ICE, would sometimes circle the names of guests that sounded Latino before targeting them for questioning, detainment and deportation, according to a settlement agreement announced this week by the state’s attorney general, Bob Ferguson.

[quote]Over the period in question, employees at seven motels gave information related to 80,000 guests to the agents, violating the company’s privacy policy, Mr. Ferguson’s office said on Thursday. To resolve a lawsuit the office filed against Motel 6 last year, the chain agreed to pay $12 million, much of it in damages to guests who were affected.

[quote]Motel 6, which is owned by the private equity firm Blackstone Group and has 1,400 locations in North America, also signed a legally binding commitment to stop volunteering guest information absent a warrant anywhere in the United States.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 10, 2020 12:29 AM

R25 nice connection, good catch

by Anonymousreply 26August 10, 2020 12:45 AM

These are the LAST people you want having your DNA.

The possibilities are endless.

by Anonymousreply 27August 10, 2020 11:28 AM

When you know your enemies' DNA, you know which biochemical weapon can kill them most effectively while others stay alive when exposed to the same biochemical weapon.

by Anonymousreply 28August 10, 2020 11:55 AM

I sent mine in but due to medical testing for an unique medical issue my dna is everywhere anyway.

I wonder if it really matters if you yourself sent in dna? Will you still be affected by family having done so?

by Anonymousreply 29August 10, 2020 12:20 PM

They’re buying our DNA?

Based on cruising areas alone I should wind up a millionaire!

Hot damn!

by Anonymousreply 30August 10, 2020 12:52 PM

The government focuses on TikTok, but PE owning DNA should be illegal. This will absolutely lead to nefarious happenings.

by Anonymousreply 31August 10, 2020 3:54 PM

I knew this would happen. I knew it. I told people that I knew that were considering doing it that soon it would be a commodity and they would be sorry they gave away their genetic info for free, or basically paid them to steal it. Look for the government to do absolutely nothing.

by Anonymousreply 32August 10, 2020 4:23 PM

[quote]and the other one 21+1 whatever it's called.

I think R12 might be missing a chromosome.

by Anonymousreply 33August 10, 2020 4:34 PM

If they want mine all they need to do is an anal cavity search on men within a 2 mile radius of my apartment. I’ve been a busy boy.

by Anonymousreply 34August 10, 2020 4:48 PM

Anybody who though the REAL business model for these DNA testing businesses was the fee charged to the provider of the sample is not too bright. Of course they were collecting DNA in order to sell your personal information, just like google, facebook and all other social media, and all those "free" apps people download on their phone. They are all information collection devices for the purpose of selling your information for profit. That's the business model. You can choose not to participate, unless you already did, in which case it's like things you post online......once you put it out there, you can never take it back and immediately lose control of what's done with it regardless of what anybody promises.

by Anonymousreply 35August 10, 2020 10:34 PM

This will almost certainly be used at some point to engineer bioweapons (viruses) with a high specificity for certain groups. With such a wide collection of DNA, this will be the perfect repository to work with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 10, 2020 10:48 PM

I'm sure in the future when another alt-right administration is elected they'll secretly engineer another AIDS-like disease to kill all homosexuals and release it into the world.

by Anonymousreply 37August 10, 2020 11:25 PM

Everyone told me I was paranoid when I said this YEARS ago.

Same with all of those stupid "earn points (money) for tracking your healthy lifestyle changes on our website" sent to you by your insurance company.

As. If!

by Anonymousreply 38August 10, 2020 11:44 PM

Isn't Ancestry. com owned by the Church of Latter Day Saints, also known as Mormons?

by Anonymousreply 39August 10, 2020 11:56 PM

The Mormon's just made 4 Billion dollars. Looks like their OCD passion for collecting ancestry data for the last 150 years paid off!

by Anonymousreply 40August 11, 2020 12:49 AM

Oh and you dumb cunts probably use your fingerprints and face to unlock your phones...now they have EVERYTHING!!!

by Anonymousreply 41August 11, 2020 2:45 AM

R30 then every rest stop Across America would be a literal goldmine! ⛏️💰

by Anonymousreply 42August 12, 2020 2:29 AM

R29 - YES - I've always warned people about trusting ancenstry.com and the Mormons. It's a religious cult - they only care for other Mormons. Seriously.

23andMe at least was started by a biomedical researcher (although married to the co-creator of Google).

Have none of you read about WHY the Mormons have such detailed ancestry records? It's seriously screwed up - it's to baptize all predecessors into the Mormon faith. They also baptize other groups - like the Jews killed in the Holocaust.

I'm not surprised this eventually happened with them - 23andMe will destroy your samples.

And for the love of God - why the fuck do people sign up and use their REAL NAMES when doing this?

by Anonymousreply 43August 12, 2020 2:46 AM

Not to even mention Fleet Week, r42!

by Anonymousreply 44August 12, 2020 12:40 PM

If they are looking for DNA in Barcelona they can always scrape the nacreous layer of permacum off of Erna’s apartment floor.

by Anonymousreply 45August 12, 2020 1:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!