Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ex MSNBC Producer: Our Viewers Don’t Consider Us News

“We are a cancer and there is no cure,” a successful and insightful TV veteran said to me.“

A very capable senior producer once said: “Our viewers don’t really consider us the news. They come to us for comfort.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 5, 2020 7:16 PM

What she says is true for all three major US cable news networks. They are not really news and haven’t been for quite some time now. Idk what the solution is. Something less sensationalistic and less appealing to preexisting biases probably would have already been created if it could be profitable.

by Anonymousreply 1August 5, 2020 6:36 AM

It's ridiculous how much of MSNBC is the same exact show — basically from 6pm to 11pm every night, they're all saying the same things, hitting the same notes, hour after hour.

I got tired of everyone, so I switched over to CNN. And MSNBC looks like Cronkite in comparison. CNN's lineup is even more unprofessional, maudlin, repetitive, and in some cases just dumb.

Of course, when you're competing against Fox News, which is absolutely fascist, sociopathic state television that's trying to bring down democracy, what can you do?

I would program a news network that had two hours of straight news, followed by half an hour dedicated entirely to the coronavirus, then ONE 60-90 minute opinion/outrage-driven show that could suffice as the "editorial page" — Chris Hayes or Rachel Maddow or Lawrence O'Donnell, not all three. Then half an hour of international news, followed by a late-night show that was more offbeat. It would be great to sneak the latest in science and tech in there somewhere.

Different formats instead of hour after hour of hosts banging the same drum.

But no one would watch enough of that to make it commercially feasible.

by Anonymousreply 2August 5, 2020 6:58 AM

Having homophobes Rachel Maddyke and Hate Reid on payroll makes it anything but comforting.

I’m still trying to recover from the second hand homophobia I endured when they mistreated Pete.

by Anonymousreply 3August 5, 2020 7:13 AM

Rachel Maddyke

Hate Reid

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yeah it’s not news. I used to like PBS News hour , and BBC world service. They are better than cable but noticing more and more it’s propaganda pushing

by Anonymousreply 4August 5, 2020 7:22 AM

Rachel Maddyke

Hate Reid

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yeah it’s not news. I used to like PBS News hour , and BBC world service. They are better than cable but noticing more and more it’s propaganda pushing

by Anonymousreply 5August 5, 2020 7:22 AM

Part of the problem is people watching a "news" network for several hours at a time. You aren't catching up with what's happening, you're being indoctrinated.

by Anonymousreply 6August 5, 2020 7:36 AM

This is a particularly obvious example of conservative right trolls infecting Datalounge. Poorly written base level propaganda. A "real article". And these phoned in comments. You guys suck. Sloppy work.

by Anonymousreply 7August 5, 2020 7:38 AM

R7 lives in an echo chamber.

by Anonymousreply 8August 5, 2020 3:10 PM

If MSNBC is cancer Fox News is dysentery.

by Anonymousreply 9August 5, 2020 3:13 PM

All of the news shows have turned into 10 minutes of news, 23 hours and 50 minutes of opinions, or showing us George Floyd being murdered until we are so angry or so immune that we just don't care. When this presidency is over I am not watching any of them anymore.

by Anonymousreply 10August 5, 2020 3:24 PM

This is a TROLL THREAD.

by Anonymousreply 11August 5, 2020 4:37 PM

R11 = Joy “the Russians must have posted homophobic shit on my blog” Reid

by Anonymousreply 12August 5, 2020 6:36 PM

well, it has more "news" than Fox will ever have

by Anonymousreply 13August 5, 2020 7:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!