Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Radio, someone still loves you.

The I'd sit alone and watch your light.

My only friend through teenage nights

And everything I had to know,

I heard it on my radio.

My radio was a huge desktop set that sat next to my bed and had AM & FM, but also short wave and God knows what else. It took 5 minutes for the tubes to warm up and start functioning. It picked up all the local college stations where I learned about the Hindi Kali (strife) Yuga (ages). They taught me that if the world didn’t end by 2003, it would be around another 20 years longer. On a good night, from my bedroom in Connecticut, I could hear Key West.

That’s also where I learned about The Who and how spooky their music was when it was novel. Of course, my eldest brother sold the radio for magic beans. He collects gold now, “just in case”; eschews the internet, even to write family; and has a bug-out bag.

I once told him he should have bought turnips instead of gold. He asked sincerely, “Why?” I told him, “just in case”, I will sell him my turnips for all his gold.

Freddie had something going with the first half of this song. Radio, someone still loves you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 5, 2020 7:39 AM

I never told a soul just how I've been feeling over you

But they said it really loud, they said it on the air

On the radio

Whoa, oh, oh

On the radio

Whoa oh oh oh

On the radio

Whoa, oh, oh

On the radio

Whoa, oh, oh

by Anonymousreply 1August 5, 2020 6:28 AM

Internet Killed the Video Star. RIP, 2020.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 5, 2020 6:46 AM

Hey OP: thanks for the thread. I hadn’t heard that song before. Your words paint an exquisite picture of your life back then, in Connecticut.

Never been there but I’d like to go one day. It’s lights out now in LA, and a nice breeze coming in. Just me and you guys , listening to the radio...

by Anonymousreply 3August 5, 2020 6:58 AM

Queen loved scenes from the early industrial days. In Radio Gaga, Freddie pays homage to the famous Harold Lloyd “clock” scene from decades earlier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 5, 2020 7:16 AM

This very early 1982 hodgepodge of a video also displays Queen’s love for nostalgia, though the Depression-era children are particularly heartbreaking.

Bear in mind that Freddie moved to England at age 18 in 1964, so his family didn’t personally experience the British Isle Depression, War, or extended rationing themselves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 5, 2020 7:28 AM

None of the members of Queen experienced the Great Depression or WWII because they were all born after that time.

by Anonymousreply 6August 5, 2020 7:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!