Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are shock collars for pets considered inhumane?

My pup is nearly one year old. We live in a tiny apt because that is all I can afford right now. I also have an inside cat. The two of them love to play and my dog loves to bark. Besides short pee walks, twice every day my dog and I go to a huge dog park (over 12 acres) where she runs and plays like crazy. But she still yaps at the cat when we are home.

She sleeps with me every night and I feed her expensive, high-quality food. I work from home so the pup is almost never alone. She barks when I leave so I end up taking her everywhere with me, even the doctor. I leave her in the car with the A/C running.

Yes, other tenants have complained about the barking and I don't blame them. I've tried a soft muzzle, but she ate through it. I need this barking to stop. Are the shock collars effective and humane enough?

by Anonymousreply 62August 6, 2020 2:11 PM

Have you tried "discipline"?

by Anonymousreply 1August 5, 2020 2:51 AM

But smacking her is more inhumane in my book than a shock collar.

by Anonymousreply 2August 5, 2020 2:53 AM

I don't think so. A smack is once and it's over, a shock collar is constant. [bold]Take her to a professional trainer. [/bold]He'll probably recommend a jerk collar.

by Anonymousreply 3August 5, 2020 2:55 AM

Consult with someone who deals with animal behavioral issues. Not sure why your immediate default would be to shock the poor dog.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 5, 2020 2:56 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 5August 5, 2020 2:56 AM

“Are shock collars for pets considered inhumane?”

You mean like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 5, 2020 2:58 AM

[quote]But smacking her is more inhumane in my book than a shock collar.

OP sounds like a hopeless parent. The dog is ruling the roost. SEEK HELP.

by Anonymousreply 7August 5, 2020 2:59 AM

[quote]SEEK HELP.

Seek a burlap sack, rope, big rock and a bridge over a rushing river.

by Anonymousreply 8August 5, 2020 3:01 AM

[quote] But smacking her is more inhumane in my book than a shock collar.

They are BOTH inhumane, cruel, and are completely unnecessary if you know how to properly train a dog.

by Anonymousreply 9August 5, 2020 3:02 AM

start crate training.

also if you must, I would recommend a citronella collar instead.

by Anonymousreply 10August 5, 2020 3:03 AM

Call Muriel....no not that Muriel THIS Muriel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 5, 2020 3:05 AM

A trainer would not only help with the behavioral problems but make OP feel less alone with his problem. It will be reassuring to him. He doesn't understand DISCIPLINE and needs to learn...both of them do. YOU are THE MASTER, OP.

by Anonymousreply 12August 5, 2020 3:08 AM

[quote] and I feed her expensive, high-quality food.

What the FUCK does that have to do with anything? What a weird thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 13August 5, 2020 3:12 AM

I just said that to convey that I care very much about her health and welfare because I know the shock collar solution seems incompatible with that. I wanted to stress that I'm trying to give the dog a good life, despite maybe getting a shock collar. But I will see about a trainer.

by Anonymousreply 14August 5, 2020 3:19 AM

You should try those canned airhorns and blow that at him every time he starts to bark. That's better than a shock collar, plus it gives the added humor of scaring the shit out of the cat! Added bonus! Please video this.

by Anonymousreply 15August 5, 2020 3:20 AM

Part of taking good care of a pet is instilling discipline.

Just spoiling them is not being a good parent, to a human or animal.

by Anonymousreply 16August 5, 2020 3:20 AM

Shock collars are inhuman, dangerous, and can traumatize a dog. She needs strong positive-reinforcement training. If you need to add some kind of collar, try citronella—but it must be combined with training.

by Anonymousreply 17August 5, 2020 3:32 AM

[quote]But I will see about a trainer.

Thank, GOD!

by Anonymousreply 18August 5, 2020 3:36 AM

[quote]Part of taking good care of a pet is instilling discipline.

OP doesn't understand that yet. A trainer will show him.

If you're in NY OP call this Peter guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 5, 2020 3:39 AM

I find that Peter Caine dog trainer kinda hawt.

by Anonymousreply 20August 5, 2020 3:41 AM

OP, just get a spray bottle filled with water. When she barks, say no and spray (mist of course, not stream) her directly in the face, it won't hurt her, but she won't like it, and it will get her attention. She won't be barking much after 48 hours. But encourage her to bark outside, so she learns the difference.

by Anonymousreply 21August 5, 2020 5:20 AM

OP IS A MORON, quelle surprise.

by Anonymousreply 22August 5, 2020 5:22 AM

Inhumane? Maybe. Fun? Definitely!

by Anonymousreply 23August 5, 2020 5:22 AM

Try a dog whistle app on your phone and every time she starts barking , hit the dog whistle and she will stop . It works on the dogs in my neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 24August 5, 2020 5:23 AM

I used the dog whistle app on my middle school class.

by Anonymousreply 25August 5, 2020 5:26 AM

There is really no difference between having a dog and having a child.

by Anonymousreply 26August 5, 2020 5:29 AM

Why do people adopt dogs when they're too lazy to train them? I love dogs, hate the owners.

by Anonymousreply 27August 5, 2020 5:33 AM

A trainer told me to put a bunch of pennies in a plastic bottle and throw it at the dog when she barks inappropriately. (Not hard enough to hurt the dog, obv, and actually, you just need to throw it next to her.) Surprisingly to me, this worked. The rattling pennies startled the dog and she soon learned to keep quiet to avoid hearing them. But even if this works for you, too, you should still get a a trainer to teach you how to work with the dog on whatever issues come up.

by Anonymousreply 28August 5, 2020 6:42 AM

Never inflict pain on your pet, OP. Yes, the shock collar is inhumane.

As suggested upthread, use a citronella or plain water spray collar to discourage barking. Place it on your pup for about an hour each session and she will learn to associate her indoor barking with the annoying spray mist.

Keep the collar in a convenient hiding place and, when she barks, move to get the collar ("where is Mr. Collar?") and show it to her. The sight of the collar should silence her, then praise her for being such a good quiet girl.

Always praise in a happy, higher-pitched voice, and add a treat to the party ... and one for the cat, too. May you three enjoy many, many healthy and happy years together.

by Anonymousreply 29August 5, 2020 6:50 AM

[quote]Always praise in a happy, higher-pitched voice, and add a treat to the party

I love the way Americans talk about animal "treats". It's so cute.

by Anonymousreply 30August 5, 2020 8:45 AM

Trade it in on a new model that doesn't bark. That's the nice thing about dogs, there's always plenty more at the pound.

by Anonymousreply 31August 5, 2020 9:11 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 32August 5, 2020 9:18 AM

R20. Im with you. Peter Caine looks like he’d be a fun, hot fuck ... plus he (and Charlie thr puppy) hate the Orange Turd. Bonus.

by Anonymousreply 33August 5, 2020 9:28 AM

You know what's really inhumane OP? Keeping a dog in a tiny apartment. Clearly your terrible selfishness didn't consider that as a possibility. You need a large apartment or house for a dog. But you knew that.

by Anonymousreply 34August 5, 2020 9:35 AM

People like OP should never have dogs in the first place. Selfish, inconsiderate, lazy ... make the worst dog owners.

Train your f-ing dog OP!

by Anonymousreply 35August 5, 2020 9:48 AM

I can't wait for the dog fad to be over. Too many inconsiderate people getting dogs and letting them bark, shit everywhere, and run loose. Dog owners are just as bad as parents with feral children.

by Anonymousreply 36August 5, 2020 10:22 AM

"Are shock collars for pets considered inhumane?"

All I know is, put one on a teenager and they call the mall police on you.

A mall police! Like a Paul Blart! Can you imagine the impertinence?

Luckily I have connections.

by Anonymousreply 37August 5, 2020 10:31 AM

[quote] You need a large apartment or house for a dog.

You absolutely don’t, as long as you are willing to take the dog out and get it enough exercise. You’re not going to want the dog to be running around inside the house no matter how large the space; you should be walking and playing with the dog enough outdoors that it’s ready to chill when it comes inside. I might draw the line at say, a Saint Bernard in a studio apartment, but what is it you imagine a dog doing that requires a large apartment or house, r34?

by Anonymousreply 38August 5, 2020 11:12 AM

LOL that r36 thinks dogs are a fad.

by Anonymousreply 39August 5, 2020 11:13 AM

Don't use a shock collar for obvious reasons - WOULD YOU WANT ONE AROUND YOUR NECK?

OP, you should be taking that dog out to relieve itself a MINIMUM of FOUR times per day - what happens with urine which is held too long? It backs up into the kidneys and the eventual outcome ain't pretty.

You obviously need to do more research on how to become a good pets human. DO IT!

by Anonymousreply 40August 5, 2020 11:40 AM

[quote]Don't use a shock collar for obvious reasons - WOULD YOU WANT ONE AROUND YOUR NECK?

Same with those citronella monstrosities.

by Anonymousreply 41August 5, 2020 11:54 AM

OP, in addition to exercising your dog regularly and seeking the help of a trainer, have you tried reaching out to your neighbors with an apology and a bottle of wine or cookies? That may go a long way toward mitigating stress, which is likely being passed on from you to your pup. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 42August 5, 2020 1:43 PM

I did the spray bottle technique on my Pomeranian when he was a young barking fool. He grew up into an adult barking fool who hated water (baths, hose, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 43August 5, 2020 1:48 PM

OP, I'm sorry you're having this trouble. An instant relief could be some CBD treats. No harm at all to the pup and calms them down pretty quickly. I give them to my dog pre-vet and grooming visits and fourth of July and it helps immensely. Keep a can of pennies around and shake it near her when she barks. When she stops barking, acknowledge it with a happy voice and give her a tiny treat of something she really loves--the premium stuff she associates with good behavior. Be relentless with it, which is difficult while she's yapping and you're working. Does she have plenty of activity toys? Kongs and chewies and stuffed toys? Those helps. After my runs/walks with my dog, I put on some music, which cues it's quiet/mellow time.

If all else fails, call a trainer. Good luck! Ignore all the "you shouldn't even have a dog" idiots. DL has been more sour than usual lately.

by Anonymousreply 44August 5, 2020 2:04 PM

[quote]Does she have plenty of activity toys?

Another American expression for me to incorporate along with "treats".

[quote]If all else fails, call a trainer.

No. That's his FIRST port of call. He needs HELP.

by Anonymousreply 45August 5, 2020 2:18 PM

Yeah, R45, but depending on where OP is, we're quarantined and a trainer would most likely need to work in the environment in which the dog is yapping, ie his little apartment where the dog is yapping at the stimulus, the cat.

So in lieu of a live trainer, he'd probably get a pricey Zoom session. In that case OP, just search up some YT videos. Plenty of trainers on YT helping owners deal with dogs of all types.

by Anonymousreply 46August 5, 2020 8:45 PM

I take the dog on pee walks multiple times a day and we go to the dog park twice, every single day, and stay for at least an hour both times. She has lots of toys, too. But yes, I live in a small apt because not everyone is wealthy. Should only mansion dwellers have pets?

by Anonymousreply 47August 5, 2020 9:55 PM

[quote]You should try those canned airhorns and blow that at him every time he starts to bark.

Yeah. That'll REALLY give those neighbors something to complain about.

by Anonymousreply 48August 5, 2020 10:57 PM

You're obviously a very loving caring dog owner OP - that's not the problem, you just need advice on control. Sounds like the dog is leading YOU around. Dogs are pack animals and they want a strong leader. That's YOU.

by Anonymousreply 49August 5, 2020 11:03 PM

you aren't supposed to throw the can of pennies at the dog, you are supposed to shake it and say 'no'.

the canned air just gives a loud SHHHHHCCCCTT sound, not like the wooogah ones. it's the same distract/stop behavior theory as tge can of pennies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 5, 2020 11:12 PM

I'm sure your neighbors LOVE hearing you shake a can of pennies every time your dog barks. That's double the annoying noise.

by Anonymousreply 51August 5, 2020 11:32 PM

I consistently placed my hand over my dogs bottom jaw and snoot, I firmly said no, and maintained eye contact. I wasn't cutting off his airway intentionally, hos nose protruded, but he didn't like it, and it successfully interrupted the behaviour. Though a miniature Schnauzer, he eventually became bark free.

When we came back from walks, and he had anticipated a treat, he'd do a Husky style mini howl. You need to be consistent, and start immediately.

by Anonymousreply 52August 6, 2020 12:05 AM

^ should have added , right hand with thumb under his jaw

by Anonymousreply 53August 6, 2020 12:06 AM

If you're good at training the animal, you won't have to resort to such things.

by Anonymousreply 54August 6, 2020 12:07 AM

R54 Exactly. If you cause them pain and anxiety, they may well just act out in another fashion.

by Anonymousreply 55August 6, 2020 12:10 AM

If shock collars were good enough for my children, they're good enough for my four footed friends.

by Anonymousreply 56August 6, 2020 12:10 AM

[quote]Should only mansion dwellers have pets?

The point OP, is that you still insisted on having a dog in a small apartment because of your own inconsiderate ideas about responsible pet ownership. A pet shouldn't have to pay for your irresponsible whims.

by Anonymousreply 57August 6, 2020 5:08 AM

Potty Trained!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 6, 2020 11:28 AM

For dogs, shock collars are inhumane and create other behavioral disorders. For non compliant only fans subscribers, they provide encouragement.

by Anonymousreply 59August 6, 2020 11:56 AM

OP, I think it's a great idea and a fantastic starting point on the road to solving your problem. I'm behind you 110%!

by Anonymousreply 60August 6, 2020 12:00 PM

Small apartment = cat, which OP already has. This is basic, selfish entitlement. Dogs need space, not just twice a day at the dog park, either. I’ve known people like OP; they want in on “dog culture,” but can’t reconcile that with their living space. They want the city life in some high-priced area where they can only afford a small apartment, but they also need a “doggo” so they can “be seen” at the trendy dog park with all the other (obnoxious) “dog people.” I’m not calling all dog people obnoxious, just this type, which I think a lot of dog owners recognize. The dog is just another accessory. This type is notorious for rehoming “problem” animals, usually after various torture/behavior mod attempts like what OP is considering.

They’ll turn their nose up less desirable, less dense areas nearby, because it’s all about having “the perfect life,” which includes dog + fashionable (expensive and tiny) city apartment. Some just can’t reconcile their economic reality with their shallow Instalife, but others with means to live anywhere are just, well, shallow. It’s entitlement, and the animals suffer for it.

by Anonymousreply 61August 6, 2020 12:18 PM

OP, get a trainer, not a Nazi sex toy.

by Anonymousreply 62August 6, 2020 2:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!