Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Revenge of the "Golden Girls Inconsistencies Thread"

The Riddle of Dorothy's Prom" edition.

As the coronavirus saga soldiers on, I have found myself with the time to re-watch all seven seasons of The Golden Girls in the span of about two weeks. The incalculable inconsistencies are so much more glaring when you binge an entire seasons in two days. I googled "Golden Girls inconsistencies" because I was feeling so agitated and confused at how very, very many inconsistencies were allowed to happen on the show. Up popped a Datalounge thread of over 700 posts dating from 2007 to 2009. I have now read every post. And while I am impressed with the degree of cross-referencing of the minutiae of GG that was lovingly compiled on that thread, the matter of DOROTHY'S EVER-CHANGING PROM STORIES has not been thoroughly examined to my satisfaction.

As far as I can tell, these are all the versions of her prom story:

1. Dorothy went to the prom with Stan and WAS impregnated on prom night (she may or may not have been black-out drunk when they had sex).

2. She went to prom with Stan (and helped him tie his tie) but Dorothy did NOT get pregnant that night--she got pregnant during a drive-in movie makeout session. (Here, too, she may or may not have been black-out drunk when they had sex).

3. Dorothy went to the prom with her brother Phil.

4. Dorothy was supposed to go to the prom with badboy John Neuretti, but Sophia turned him away. Dorothy thought she had been stood up, and she stayed home.

5. Dorothy never went to her prom because no one even asked her. This is the butt of a joke on one episode.

BONUS PROM INCONSISTENCIES:

*Dorothy went to the prom in her "tennis whites" because of a practical joke that "her frenemy Trudy played on her.

*Conversely, Dorothy looked so beautiful coming down the stairs on her way to the prom, that Sophia told her it was the most special mother/daughter memory of their lives.

*If she DID go to the prom with Stanley, due to his being defined in an early episode as 65 to Dorothy's mid-50s, (so let's say a 10 year age gap) then Stan would have been 27 or 28 at her senior prom. THERE IS NO WAY IN SICILIAN HELL that Sophia and Sal Petrillo would have let Dorothy go to her senior prom with an almost 30 year old man. He would have been fitted for cement shoes before that would happen.

*Then there are the pregnancy age discrepancies, which would impact all the prom scenarios above. Because if Dorothy truly got "knocked up" while still in high school, then honestly--would she have gone to the prom with Stan? Pregnant? Or even more implausible....as a new mother with milky bosoms??

*Also, surely Johnny Neuretti would not have asked Dorothy to prom if she was already carrying Stan's child, or even weirder, was a nursing teen mother planning a shotgun wedding?

It's all so convoluted and crazy. The creators invented a wonderful series, wrote a strong, compelling character called Dorothy Zbornak, cast Bea Fucking Arthur to brilliantly embody this three-dimensional character so brilliantly. And then they fucked it all up by forcing the viewer out of this deliciously wrought universe every episode as we strain to connect the unconnectable dots of Dorothy's backstory--a backstory that runs strong and deep through every season, and which literally shaped her entire adult life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449January 6, 2021 4:07 PM

She may have went all 4 years of high school as a date for different guys. And it's possible that more than one event described above happened at a single prom.

by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2020 11:08 PM

I thought of that R1, but they refer to every Dorothy prom scenario as "The Prom." Which to me reads as the Senior Prom. Whereas they refer to someone attending a "Junior Prom" with another character, maybe Rose?

But that's true, there's typically a Jr. and Sr. prom in high school. It just really seems like they are always talking about Dorothy's Senior Prom. The Prom.

by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2020 11:15 PM

Neretti, OP. John Neretti.

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2020 11:39 PM

Has anyone noticed the inside of the house was nothing like the outside?

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2020 11:48 PM

Why didn't Dorothy have any visible reaction when she found out who he DID end up marrying.?

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2020 11:57 PM

R5 You're right, Dorothy totally glazes over the revelation that John married the beautiful popular perfect girl. No reaction.

by Anonymousreply 6August 5, 2020 12:55 AM

I have to say that as cool as the Blanche, Dorothy and Rose are...I hate every single one of their children and grandchildren. Their siblings tend to totally, totally suck as well and they seem relatively estranged from everyone in their life aside from Dorothy's ex Stan. Dorothy sees Stan 1000x more than she sees or references either of her children, and she seemingly has no other friends on earth besides the girls, and Stan.

GG relatives that aren't punchable? Gay Clayton and Uncle Lucas.

Uncle Angelo mayyyybe gets a pass, cuz he's old and occasionally says something witty? But he was a horrible liar to his entire family, living a lie for his whole adult life. And he took that free apartment Dorothy and Stan set him up with totally for granted. So nah, he's a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 7August 5, 2020 1:03 AM

For being such a heartwarming chicken-soup-for-the-soul kind of show...there wasn't actually a lot of authentic love on the show! The women berated each other night and day. They were psychologically abusive to Rose--Dorothy even would smack Rose with newspapers and magazines. They all piled up on Dorothy for her looks, including her own mother, who could be just emotionally ruthless towards Dorothy. Sophia also constantly called Blanche a slut and a tramp in Blanche's own home.

Stan's mother was a horrible person who doesn't love her son. She's the reason he's so messed up and codependent.

And massive-scale sibling estrangements, and some degree of estrangement from seemingly all of their children.

Blanche's beloved George, the absolute love of her life, and father of her (three, four or six?) children--the only man to whom she was completely faithful--stepped out on her, fathering a secret love child that George then ignores his whole life (and whom he clearly didn't support financially). It's all a bit bleak!

by Anonymousreply 8August 5, 2020 1:14 AM

R7, Blanche's grandson in S1 was pretty good and had one of the best lines on the show: "you can kiss my attitude".

by Anonymousreply 9August 5, 2020 1:19 AM

Dorothy was a liar and a fraud. Remember when Rose was looking for a job and Dorothy sat down on her bed, grabbed a legal pad and made up a bunch of fake job details for Rose's resume?

by Anonymousreply 10August 5, 2020 1:21 AM

[R7] I hate all the children except for skinny Rebekah. She just wanted to have a baby and the Town Slut acted like she said she wanted to become a drug dealer. Michael is hot, but what a loser. He's told to grow up and storms off like a baby. Kate comes to Dorothy after she gets cheated on and is appalled that Dorothy has an opinion on her stupidly staying with ugly Dennis(the first one was much better looking.) Steven Sanders' mom was a stuck up witch and then when she found out Rose was poor she got upset because it meant no trust fund for misgendered Charlie and no more Country Club. I skip the episodes with Clayton because I hate how Blanche treats him, so can't recall how he is. Aunt Angela was played so well that she gets a pass for being a man stealing whore.

[R8] I never thought abusing Rose was funny or straight up saying Dorothy looked like a man all the time.

by Anonymousreply 11August 5, 2020 1:33 AM

Oh joy, another Golden Girls thread.

by Anonymousreply 12August 5, 2020 1:34 AM

R12 It's COVID times, please don't begrudge us a fresh Golden Girls diversion.

by Anonymousreply 13August 5, 2020 1:36 AM

I love you, OP.

Here's another Prom inconsistency:

Dorothy tells her mother she's going to prom with a football player, then hides in the basement slow dancing with a rake and attempting to give herself a hickey with the vacuum cleaner.

by Anonymousreply 14August 29, 2020 12:46 AM

i just assumed Dorothy was just a pathological liar.

by Anonymousreply 15August 29, 2020 12:56 AM

^Only when asked if she had a penis.

by Anonymousreply 16August 29, 2020 1:19 AM

The show may have had its inconsistencies, but those girls could whirlybird in unison like nothing I've ever seen!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 29, 2020 2:52 AM

Dorothy didn't feel guilty about being the other woman even though she herself felt the pain of being cheated on.

by Anonymousreply 18August 31, 2020 10:09 PM

All four girls had dementia.

by Anonymousreply 19August 31, 2020 10:15 PM

Dorothy was supposed to be born around 1930 so her prom would have been around 1948. She would have had her baby in 1949.

If I recall correctly she has two children. Michael was 23 in the episode he came to visit and Kate was no more than 30.

by Anonymousreply 20August 31, 2020 10:29 PM

And why on earth was her high school reunion IN. MIAMI?

by Anonymousreply 21August 31, 2020 10:42 PM

If there had to be one, consistent story about Stan and Dorothy, this would be it:

1. Stan & Dorothy are same or similar age.

2. Stan & Dorothy went to Dorothy's (and maybe Stan's, also) *senior* prom together.

3. Dorothy got drunk on prom night, passed out (maybe blacked out), and Stan fornicated upon Dorothy's comatose body.

4. Dorothy got pregnant on prom night but was able to graduate from high school with her class. (Her pregnancy was not super-obvious until after graduation.)

5. Stan and Dorothy got married some time after Dorothy graduated from high school, but before Dorothy gave birth to their first child.

by Anonymousreply 22September 1, 2020 3:53 AM

Well at least Dorothy's children are consistent. How many kids do Blanche and Rose have. It varies episode to episode. The only constants are Janet and Rebecca for Blanche and Kirsten for Rose.

by Anonymousreply 23September 1, 2020 4:00 AM

NO ONE CARES, ROSE!

by Anonymousreply 24September 1, 2020 4:20 AM

Michael and Kate are both referenced in a conversation between Dorothy and Sophia in a mid-50's flashback when Dorothy asks Sophia to watch the kids so that she can get a second job to save up for a television.

by Anonymousreply 25September 1, 2020 4:28 AM

[R18] The marriage was over for years according to him, so a bit different.

[R21] Why was Phillip's funeral in Miami? Why was Blanche's sorority reunion in Miami? They made no effort to make the setting of these events realistic.

by Anonymousreply 26September 1, 2020 5:31 PM

Watching "It's a Living" reruns, I can't get over how much Golden Girls and It's a Living had in common. Tom Whedon worked on both shows but never realized the similarities until recently. And I watched both during their original respective runs. They were both on Saturday nights in NY.

The episode where everyone agrees to be in Dot's production of Little Red Riding Hood because the cast got sick.

The one where Amy's pen pal escapes from prison.

One episode had Sonny auditioning for Jullliard and it's the same set they used for Kid Pepe's audition.

Ann Jillian's exchange to Crystal Bernard on having a dog is the exact same one Rose and Blanche have in the paper parrot episode.

Both shows also used the exact same dark wood backings, which worked fine for office spaces on Golden Girls, but looked terrible for hotel interiors on It's a Living.

by Anonymousreply 27September 1, 2020 5:57 PM

Didn't Cindy Williams guest star as Dorothy's daughter Kate?

by Anonymousreply 28September 1, 2020 6:07 PM

Was it ever made clear when Dorothy, Stan, and Sophia moved down to Miami?

by Anonymousreply 29September 1, 2020 6:32 PM

r29

especially since they bought land there on their honeymoon

Also I don't think Blanche's reunion was in miami, she packed a bag and came back early

by Anonymousreply 30September 1, 2020 7:15 PM

[quote] Why was Blanche's sorority reunion in Miami?

To be fair, do we know where Blanche went to college?

by Anonymousreply 31September 1, 2020 7:19 PM

Michael and Kate are supposed to be about 2 years apart.

Dorothy got pregnant with her first at around 18 and in another episode Sophia says Dorothy was pregnant at 20.

by Anonymousreply 32September 1, 2020 7:20 PM

R31, she said it one episode. It was some kind of finishing school. It was Miss something. Not Miss Porter's, but something like that.

by Anonymousreply 33September 1, 2020 7:23 PM

R29 It's never clear when Blanche and George left Atlanta for Miami either. Rose moved to Miami a year or so before the start of the series, but I don't think any of the other girls got that part of their backstory told.

by Anonymousreply 34September 1, 2020 7:41 PM

The girls had already been living together for a year or two when the series opens.

by Anonymousreply 35September 1, 2020 7:44 PM

Blanche's kids must've lived in the house with her and George for several years. Why else would they buy a 4 bedroom house? They weren't hoarders.

by Anonymousreply 36September 1, 2020 8:37 PM

r28 No.

by Anonymousreply 37September 1, 2020 8:49 PM

R33: Miss MacGuyver. You know, the one who shared a one bedroom apartment with Miss McGhee off campus......

R23: Don't forget Bridget. She's the one that fucked afro Michael. She's never seen again but Rose still mentions her.

R20: First Kate is 30 at most, and a much better actress. Second Kate is dowdy and could pass for over 40 a bit, but she's a worse actor. So Kate could have been the love child, 2nd Kate at least. It's hilarious, its the inverse with Dennis. 1st Dennis is hot but a horrible actor, 2nd can act but was chunky and meh looking.

by Anonymousreply 38September 1, 2020 9:06 PM

I posted this in the Dorothy Zbornak thread, so I'll just quote it:

[quote]In 6x11 (Stand By Your Man), Dorothy has that running gag throughout the episode where she talks too long about something and then finishes with, “Who are you to judge me?!” One of the moments is her trailing off and talking about having sex in an airplane lavatory with the pilot! THIS from the loser who had no sex life? I guess it’s not an outright inconsistency but it’s very out of character. And it’s the only moment in the whole series she ever tells a Blanche-y story like that, so it’s kind of a WTF moment whenever I see it.

It's just a really stupid moment overall. They should have left it out.

by Anonymousreply 39September 1, 2020 9:13 PM

I just watched the Libertine Bell episode. It was a good episode in theory, but the plot had more holes than Swiss Cheese.

by Anonymousreply 40September 1, 2020 10:07 PM

not NOW, R40!

by Anonymousreply 41September 2, 2020 12:43 AM

FFS, if it’s not a bowel movement its some insipid golden girls bullshit. What is there that even a minimally intelligent person could even want to discuss about this?

by Anonymousreply 42September 2, 2020 12:50 AM

Also, why doesn't Sophia have an Italian accent??

by Anonymousreply 43September 2, 2020 12:58 AM

Why doesn’t Angela, who lived in Sicily even longer than Sophia?

by Anonymousreply 44September 2, 2020 1:00 AM

Actually, the high school reunion in Miami is not necessarily an inconsistency. So many Brooklynites of that generation moved down to Florida, their high schools actually had reunions in that area.

by Anonymousreply 45September 2, 2020 1:08 AM

Why was Rose's daughter portrayed as a genius on the episode where she beds Michael, Dorothy's dead-end son?

by Anonymousreply 46September 2, 2020 1:10 AM

Dorothy's multiple prom experiences can be explained by physics. Each occured but in different timelines brought together by a rip in the space time continuum.

by Anonymousreply 47September 2, 2020 1:14 AM

^^^uncanny resemblance to Yoda

by Anonymousreply 48September 2, 2020 1:15 AM

She's a lying, frigid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 49September 2, 2020 1:16 AM

R49 I'm the homecoming queen, you bitch!

by Anonymousreply 50September 2, 2020 1:18 AM

R46: They just needed Bridget to be successful and in college, to contrast with starving artist/musician Michael. When opposites attract. What's stupid about that episode is that they fuck and Dorothy and Sophia get completely bent out of shape about it. And that's the focus of the back half of the episode. Rose has one 2 minute chat with Bridget about it and that's it. It's not proportional. That or the Bridget actress really sucked at emoting so they kept the scene short.

by Anonymousreply 51September 2, 2020 1:20 AM

Blance and George must have moved to Miami when their kids were adults since Blanche made that comment to her daughter who was being artificially inseminated about going downstairs to scream for the governess.

by Anonymousreply 52September 2, 2020 1:27 AM

It's telling that Blanche had no pictures in the house of any of her kids or George.

by Anonymousreply 53September 2, 2020 1:41 AM

It also made no sense for George's brother to go visit Blanche to talk to her about her mother-in-law's will when Blanche wasn't given anything.

by Anonymousreply 54September 2, 2020 1:44 AM

Dorothy once references something about Stan slipping something in her drink and she thought she was moving the gearshitft . Then she made a comment about doing her part for the war effort by sleeping with Stan. I always assumed she meant ww2 but I guess it could have been the Korean war.

by Anonymousreply 55September 2, 2020 1:46 AM

In the episode when George's brother visits Dorothy says something about feeling like she's having dejavu to when she was 14, only now Sophia is her and she is Sophia. Rose asks her what she's going to do and Dorothy says clearly she's not going to let her go to the Prom!

So maybe Dorothy was going to proms as a Freshman!

by Anonymousreply 56September 2, 2020 1:48 AM

Whet to Stan's third wife

by Anonymousreply 57September 2, 2020 1:51 AM

R53 Relatives were being recast left and right! Only the late/ex husbands, Michael, Rebecca 2.0 and Sophia's siblings stayed the same.

R43 R44 I can understand Sophia and Angela losing their accents, but their mother not having one after only being in the U.S. for a couple of years is unforgivable. Was learning an Italian accent too hard for Bea or did she just not bother?

by Anonymousreply 58September 2, 2020 1:52 AM

Why did we never see Charlie?

by Anonymousreply 59September 2, 2020 1:55 AM

R58: Afro Michael who fucked Bridget is the same straight hair Michael that fucked Lorraine? Are you sure?

by Anonymousreply 60September 2, 2020 2:02 AM

R60/R58: I stand corrected. It's the same guy. God, he looks so different with that stache and for the first time we see him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 2, 2020 2:05 AM

"The creators invented a wonderful series, wrote a strong, compelling character called Dorothy Zbornak, cast Bea Fucking Arthur to brilliantly embody this three-dimensional character so brilliantly. And then they fucked it all up by forcing the viewer out of this deliciously wrought universe every episode as we strain to connect the unconnectable dots of Dorothy's backstory--a backstory that runs strong and deep through every season, and which literally shaped her entire adult life."

MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 62September 2, 2020 2:07 AM

Both versions of Michael are hot!!!

by Anonymousreply 63September 2, 2020 2:08 AM

R63: NO! That mustache and fro? Becky, please!! He's much cuter in my pic above. That Michael can take me anytime he wishes.

by Anonymousreply 64September 2, 2020 2:16 AM

I loved pornstache Michael!

by Anonymousreply 65September 2, 2020 2:21 AM

Michael goes from 26 to 23 to 30.

They say his age in nearly every appearance but it was never consistent.

by Anonymousreply 66September 2, 2020 2:24 AM

We sort of saw Charlie in Golden Palace.

by Anonymousreply 67September 2, 2020 2:31 AM

Scott looked like he could be Bea and Herb's son in real life.

by Anonymousreply 68September 2, 2020 2:33 AM

R68: It was great casting for that role. 2nd Kate was good as the love child, as far as looks went. Her acting wasn't that great, but hey, you can't have it all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 2, 2020 2:40 AM

I also agree that the original actor who played Kate's husband was hot and the 2nd actor was meh. Also the insisting on calling Dorothy "Mother Dorothy" was bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 70September 2, 2020 2:44 AM

R70: Some writer had the Calcutta line and wanted to use it, so away they went with it.

by Anonymousreply 71September 2, 2020 2:47 AM

R8 George did support David financially though a trust fund in Dallas that’s how he found out blanches address.

1st Kirsten looked more like rose then the second one and wasn’t dumpy.

The first Gloria was a much better actress and resembled Dorothy much more then the second Gloria.

Kate #1 looked like she could be Stan and Dorothys kid the second one looked like she had a stinky pussy.

Neither Rebecca was model pretty nor was her slut niece Lucy.

Blanches 2 sisters were prettier then she was.

The storyline about Dorothy being switched at birth but both glorias were tall and looked like Dorothy.

The flashback Dorothy was great, nan Martin couldn’t done the Sophias part since she could do an Italian accent as philomena.

by Anonymousreply 72September 2, 2020 3:04 AM

I think they recast Gloria just so they could do the joke of Sophia’s two tall daughters.

by Anonymousreply 73September 2, 2020 3:06 AM

One more question, did Bea get a facelift between season 6 and 7?

by Anonymousreply 74September 2, 2020 3:23 AM

I though bea had a lot of work done between Maude and golden girls

by Anonymousreply 75September 2, 2020 3:27 AM

What a forensic investigation.

You should write a TV series called CSI: Miami, Miami, You’ve Got Style!

by Anonymousreply 76September 2, 2020 3:35 AM

Johnny Neuretti

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 77September 2, 2020 3:35 AM

R60, it took me years to accept that it was same actor. The voice kind of sounds the same but he looked like a totally different to me. The clean cut version is quite an improvement. His younger brother played Blanche's grandson David in the first season.

by Anonymousreply 78September 2, 2020 3:39 AM

One thing that annoyed me was when they did the same dress joke twice. First with Blanche and Sophia and then with Dorothy and Blanche.

by Anonymousreply 79September 2, 2020 3:40 AM

My favorite episode is the one where Rose sets out to find the perfect rescue cat for her curmudgeonly client at the grief center. The B plot was Blanche getting pelvic mesh surgery with hilarious and slapstick, sexy outcomes.

by Anonymousreply 80September 2, 2020 3:43 AM

He was away on business, Rose at R59

by Anonymousreply 81September 2, 2020 3:48 AM

"His younger brother played Blanche's grandson David in the first season."

Mind blown. I had no idea they were related.

by Anonymousreply 82September 2, 2020 3:56 AM

R79, I thought that was funny! I figured they were going to be lazy and have them have the same dress again, but I cracked up when Sophia came out wearing Blanche's dress.

by Anonymousreply 83September 2, 2020 3:58 AM

R82, I have an even bigger scoop for you - Mars bars are made right here on Earth.

by Anonymousreply 84September 2, 2020 4:04 AM

Wasn't second Kate in It's a Living?

by Anonymousreply 85September 2, 2020 4:15 AM

R85, I'm the one who mistook her for Cindy Williams upthread. She was played by Deena Freeman, who was on Too Close For Comfort.

by Anonymousreply 86September 2, 2020 4:25 AM

r57

She left him... I think that's in the ep where Stan is Santa

by Anonymousreply 87September 2, 2020 12:07 PM

Did Rose wax her pussy?

by Anonymousreply 88September 2, 2020 4:51 PM

[R87] He goes back to her at the end of the episode.

by Anonymousreply 89September 2, 2020 9:33 PM

R88 No, because she had never heard of shaving above the knee.

by Anonymousreply 90September 2, 2020 9:34 PM

[quote]Also the insisting on calling Dorothy "Mother Dorothy" was bizarre.

At least it wasn't Jerry calling Eve Arden's character "Mother Hubbard."

by Anonymousreply 91September 2, 2020 9:37 PM

Did Blanche really engage in incest when she was a teenager? It's stated several times that Blanche messed around with her cousins.

by Anonymousreply 92September 2, 2020 9:42 PM

The front door in the Petrillo's Brooklyn house changed locations at some point between the 1950s and the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 93September 2, 2020 9:47 PM

Did Mr. Terrific have AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 94September 2, 2020 9:49 PM

No, but Rose's romantic interest in the vacation from hell episode/Dorothy's video game student from season 7 did.

by Anonymousreply 95September 3, 2020 1:23 AM

Joe Mama?

by Anonymousreply 96September 3, 2020 1:26 AM

R93 it also ended up on the ground floor when they wheeled Dorothy's grandmother in and you could see grass behind.

by Anonymousreply 97September 3, 2020 1:53 AM

I thought the second Gloria looked a lot more like Dorothy than the first one, R72!

by Anonymousreply 98September 3, 2020 5:46 AM

They never dressed like Florida.

by Anonymousreply 99September 3, 2020 6:54 AM

Someone mentioned It's a Livinig and I thought I'd mention that in the Christmas episode where they feed the homeless, the kitchen at the Church is the Kitchen set from It's a Living, which was also the Kitchen used in Benson.

Also the Golden Girls kitchen was a re-used set from the show, "It Takes Two," which starred Richard Crenna, Patty Duke, Helen Hunt and Anthony Edwards.

by Anonymousreply 100September 4, 2020 8:12 PM

It Takes Two is on YouTube. Watch it!

by Anonymousreply 101September 4, 2020 8:17 PM

R101: I watched episode 1. The mother-in-law who lives with them was Rose. Pure and simple, long pointless stories and all. Susan Harris simply transferred the character from that of a daffy, senile grandmother to a daffy pea-brain from Minnesota.

by Anonymousreply 102September 4, 2020 8:41 PM

Anthony Edwards' 1982 mullet looks great on him in 'It Takes Two.'

by Anonymousreply 103September 4, 2020 9:42 PM

It Takes Two (1982-83): Patty Duke was too young to play Helen Hunt's mother (only 17 years apart in age). Richard Crenna was 20 years older than Patty, yet they were married on the show.

by Anonymousreply 104September 5, 2020 4:54 AM

[quote] Patty Duke was too young to play Helen Hunt's mother (only 17 years apart in age).

Excuse me, R104, that seems perfectly reasonable. I don't see anyone having a problem with me playing Bea's mother when she was a year older than me!

by Anonymousreply 105September 5, 2020 5:10 AM

The Exterior shots of the house didn't match the front porch of the house!!!!

by Anonymousreply 106September 5, 2020 5:34 AM

The kitchen window would be looking into Sophia's bedroom.

It would've made more sense if they made the house a two story with all of the bedrooms and both bathrooms upstairs.

The door in the kitchen leading to the garage which should be right next to the living room reminds me of how the rooms in Clue had secret passages leading to other rooms diagonally across the board.

by Anonymousreply 107September 5, 2020 5:40 AM

[quote] googled "Golden Girls inconsistencies" because I was feeling so agitated and confused at how very, very many inconsistencies were allowed to happen on the show.

And probably every show of that vintage. What is wrong with you, OP? Are you on the spectrum?

by Anonymousreply 108September 5, 2020 5:43 AM

[quote]Because if Dorothy truly got "knocked up" while still in high school, then honestly--would she have gone to the prom with Stan? Pregnant?

If she got knocked up on prom night she wouldn't have shown before graduation.

by Anonymousreply 109September 5, 2020 5:47 AM

R55, she once jokes that she was in the search party for missing bandleader Glenn Miller, so I think we can assume she meant WWII.

by Anonymousreply 110September 5, 2020 5:47 AM

When Sophia lost her glasses and accidentally exited the front door (thinking she was on her way to her bedroom) it's only 2 seconds before cars honk. Really? Just 2 seconds to get down that long driveway?

by Anonymousreply 111September 5, 2020 7:03 AM

R111 It's the timing of the joke. Any longer and it diminishes the humor in it.

by Anonymousreply 112September 5, 2020 8:47 AM

Kill yourself, OP. Fuck the Olden Cunts.

by Anonymousreply 113September 5, 2020 8:57 AM

How come Dreyfuss never fucked Rose? She was up for it.

by Anonymousreply 114September 5, 2020 12:13 PM

On the first episode with Max Weinstock, Sophia tells Rose and Blanche that "Esther Weinstock was my best friend. We grew up together." Really? Esther lived in Sicily?

by Anonymousreply 115September 5, 2020 12:54 PM

Sophia's dentures slipped, R115. She meant to say "We threw up together."

by Anonymousreply 116September 5, 2020 1:20 PM

Sophia was a lying old bastard.

by Anonymousreply 117September 5, 2020 1:23 PM

It's sad that Jean never appeared again. Was her love for Rose so strong that she couldn't bear to be around her? Did she sacrifice her friendship with Dorothy so she would never have to see Rose again?

by Anonymousreply 118September 5, 2020 1:27 PM

She was trapped in Lebanon.

by Anonymousreply 119September 5, 2020 2:30 PM

R111, that always drove me nuts too!!

by Anonymousreply 120September 5, 2020 2:30 PM

R111 and R120 I think because Sophia thought she had just stepped into her bedroom, she whipped up her dress, exposing two droopy old titties and snow white pussy.

A horrified driver honked his horn in disgust before almost driving into Freida Claxton's tree/memorial.

by Anonymousreply 121September 5, 2020 2:46 PM

Esther's maiden name was Conti.

by Anonymousreply 122September 5, 2020 3:54 PM

Why were Sophia and Dorothy Italian? IRL they're both Jewish!!!!

by Anonymousreply 123September 5, 2020 6:10 PM

Why wouldn't they sit on the other side of the table? What was wrong with that seat? Sophia would always sit at the island. And Dorothy would always sit in the center.

by Anonymousreply 124September 5, 2020 6:29 PM

[quote] 1st Kirsten looked more like rose then the second one and wasn’t dumpy.

Oh, dear!

[quote] The first Gloria was a much better actress and resembled Dorothy much more then the second Gloria.

Oh, DEAR!

[quote]Blanches 2 sisters were prettier then she was.

Oh, FUCKING DEAR!!

by Anonymousreply 125September 5, 2020 6:36 PM

As much as I loathe "Oh Dear" trolls, I can't help but laugh when they appear.

by Anonymousreply 126September 5, 2020 7:55 PM

R124 every TV show does this.

by Anonymousreply 127September 5, 2020 7:56 PM

r127 Only multi-cam shows have to do this, because they're filmed in front of an audience.

by Anonymousreply 128September 5, 2020 8:10 PM

Yes, and every show back then was filmed in front of an audience.

by Anonymousreply 129September 5, 2020 8:27 PM

r124

also someone would have their back to the audience if they all sat at the table

by Anonymousreply 130September 5, 2020 10:22 PM

R124 Bea sat in the center because she was able to make people laugh with her look. She sometimes looked almost to the camera and sometimes turned her head from one side to another and people were laughing

by Anonymousreply 131September 5, 2020 10:34 PM

Why would an male hetero bar like the Rusty Anchor have a grand piano with a male piano player in it? And the woman's bathroom which looked like something out of a Beverly Hills restaurant? It made absolutely no sense.

And why did NO ONE attend Dorothy's wedding to Lucas? It was the last episode, you think they could have at least splurged a little and had Miles show up.

by Anonymousreply 132September 5, 2020 10:39 PM

Also her ingrate loser kid’s didn’t show up.

by Anonymousreply 133September 5, 2020 10:51 PM

I wish there had been a Rusty Anchor spin-off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134September 5, 2020 11:04 PM

R132, it was one of the last episodes of the series. They probably said fuck it.

by Anonymousreply 135September 6, 2020 12:34 AM

[quote] Also her ingrate loser kid’s didn’t show up.

Her kid’s what though?

by Anonymousreply 136September 6, 2020 1:03 AM

R126, to me, that’s the whole point. Well, maybe not the whole point. One is to educate and the other is to make people laugh.

I’ve always envisioned it as an old school marm clucking her teeth and mumbling to herself.

by Anonymousreply 137September 6, 2020 1:06 AM

Because of this thread I went down a "It Takes Two" binge today.

It is definitely a Susan Harris show.

The show is like a group marriage between Soap, Golden Girls and the original Rita Moreno Empty Nest pilot.

by Anonymousreply 138September 6, 2020 4:07 AM

R138...and Benson. Similar sets, music, supporting/guest actors, etc.

by Anonymousreply 139September 6, 2020 4:20 AM

r129 Seriously? There are dozens of shows that used single camera. EVERY dramatic series. And sitcoms did so as well. Leave It to Beaver, Jeannie, Bewitched, The Brady Bunch, MASH, Happy Days, Doogie Howser, Dream On, etc. etc.

by Anonymousreply 140September 6, 2020 4:37 AM

Doogie Howser was a sitcom?

by Anonymousreply 141September 6, 2020 4:41 AM

Did Mel Bushman ever present hole?

by Anonymousreply 142September 6, 2020 7:11 PM

I'm finally on season 7. A couple of notes. It seems that to get Bea back they limited her appearance in episodes. And I never noticed it before but it seems that Bea is reading from the cue cards a lot this season. It's very obvious. I knew Estelle was having problems at this point, but I hadn't heard anything about Bea.

by Anonymousreply 143September 6, 2020 11:37 PM

Maybe Bea wasn't having problems like Estelle but rather just didn't care enough to learn the lines.

by Anonymousreply 144September 6, 2020 11:41 PM

Also, why did we never see Dorothy's brother, Phil?

by Anonymousreply 145September 7, 2020 1:00 AM

It was better that we didn't.

by Anonymousreply 146September 7, 2020 1:06 AM

Phil died on the show. Remember his funeral?

by Anonymousreply 147September 7, 2020 2:21 AM

Yeah, in season 6. He could've appeared before then.

by Anonymousreply 148September 7, 2020 2:36 AM

Phil tried doing a drag show at the Rusty Anchor and was beaten to death. That's why the funeral was in Miami.

by Anonymousreply 149September 7, 2020 4:18 AM

It made NO sense to have Phil's funeral in Miami. Just like it made no sense for Dorothy to have a high school reunion in Miami.

by Anonymousreply 150September 7, 2020 4:21 AM

Maybe that should have been the spin off. The girls buy the Rusty Anchor.

by Anonymousreply 151September 7, 2020 4:22 AM

That would have been too similar to [italic]Cheers[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 152September 7, 2020 4:30 AM

Blanche has a fear of flying, than she doesn't. Dorothy doesn't have a fear of flying, than she does.

by Anonymousreply 153September 7, 2020 4:32 AM

[quote] Blanche has a fear of flying, than she doesn't. Dorothy doesn't have a fear of flying, than she does.

Your point being?

by Anonymousreply 154September 7, 2020 4:35 AM

Is it possible that some of the bedrooms, like Sophia's, were loft conversions?

by Anonymousreply 155September 7, 2020 7:33 AM

I love the idea of them owing The Rusty Anchor! They could have had guest rooms upstairs.

by Anonymousreply 156September 7, 2020 7:41 AM

Dorothy's room is right next to Blanche's and yet there are windows. They would look right into Blanche's bedroom just like the kitchen windows would look right into Sophia's.

by Anonymousreply 157September 7, 2020 8:55 AM

What about all the actors who came back playing different roles? Meg Wyllie, for example, played four different parts, including the flight attendant who tells Rose this isn’t the Copacabana. And Lloyd Bochner had big guest starring roles as the actor and then the hairdresser.

Don’t recall other shows doing that.

by Anonymousreply 158September 7, 2020 11:18 AM

Rose’s education

by Anonymousreply 159September 7, 2020 11:42 AM

r158 has apparently never heard of a little show called "I Love Lucy."

by Anonymousreply 160September 7, 2020 11:45 AM

I Like Lucy

by Anonymousreply 161September 7, 2020 1:22 PM

I Loathe Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 162September 7, 2020 3:34 PM

[quote] Blanche has a fear of flying, than she doesn't. Dorothy doesn't have a fear of flying, than she does.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 163September 7, 2020 6:16 PM

dorothy as a gambling addict. nope.

by Anonymousreply 164September 7, 2020 7:31 PM

How about that story line where Freida Claxton didn't actually die but went into the Witness Protection Program only to return a few years later to reveal she's Dorothy's biological mother... whose accent doesn't match anyone else's in her family.

by Anonymousreply 165September 7, 2020 7:45 PM

Technically, it is plausible that Dorothy's room had a window that would not look into Blanche's bedroom as the window isn't on the shared wall. You can see how it would make sense in the episode, "Foreign Exchange" when they kick Dorothy's real parents out of the bedroom, you get a view of how it works.

Rose's room makes no sense. Their living room windows would look right into her bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 166September 7, 2020 7:48 PM

Rose seemed to have a giant bedroom with a sitting area and a bathroom. Sophia's room also had an en suite.

by Anonymousreply 167September 7, 2020 8:08 PM

R151 The Rusty Girls

by Anonymousreply 168September 7, 2020 8:12 PM

Doro's bedroom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169September 7, 2020 8:13 PM

Rose's bedroom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170September 7, 2020 8:13 PM

Blanche's Boudoir

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171September 7, 2020 8:15 PM

Sophia's bedroom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172September 7, 2020 8:16 PM

Yeah Rose's bedroom makes no sense. As mentioned, the bedroom would jut out and be the only thing you could see through the living room windows. Further, her bedroom windows are the ones that would be looking into Blanche's bedroom. Finally, the distance from Rose's front door to her back wall does not match up with the distance presented in the hallway between her door and Blanche's door.

by Anonymousreply 173September 7, 2020 8:34 PM

[quote] Further, her bedroom windows are the ones that would be looking into Blanche's bedroom.

They’d be too fogged up to see anything. Maybe you could catch a glimpse of Mel Bushman’s ass, but that would be it.

by Anonymousreply 174September 7, 2020 8:45 PM

If you told me 35 years later a bunch of queens would be bitching about this, I would've laughed in your face.

by Anonymousreply 175September 7, 2020 9:54 PM

How the hell did Frieda Claxon see in any of their bedrooms since she lived across the street?

by Anonymousreply 176September 7, 2020 10:04 PM

Precisely R176 she can't possibly see anything as she doesn't live next door or behind them but right across the street!

Would only make sense if Blanche was in the bedroom from the pilot.

Rose had the best bedroom, Blanche's looks smaller and less comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 177September 7, 2020 10:38 PM

It makes sense for Rose to have the better bedroom over Dorothy or Sophia since she won a coin toss from it, but hers shouldn't be better than Blanche's.

Didn't Blanche's bedroom have a separate entrance from the outside or doors that led to a patio? I thought someone entered from the outside once (perhaps George?).

by Anonymousreply 178September 7, 2020 11:24 PM

r178

Dorothy did when she escaped from her foot surgery

by Anonymousreply 179September 7, 2020 11:30 PM

No. A big scary man came into the house, r179.

by Anonymousreply 180September 8, 2020 12:07 AM

I know she once said that she would be wakened by "Wayne tapping on the window"..

by Anonymousreply 181September 8, 2020 6:22 AM

Judging by the windows in Rose (to the left of Blanche's bedroom) and Dorothy's (to the right of Blanche's) bedroom, Blanche's bedroom would be no wider than a hallway.

A house with 4 master (sized) bedrooms with at least 2 of them having their own bathroom plus a main bathroom is very unusual in real life. Therefore Blanche and George must've had the house built for them and their 6 children.

by Anonymousreply 182September 8, 2020 6:50 PM

*Judging by the windows in Rose's (to the left of Blanche's bedroom) and Dorothy's (to the right of Blanche's) bedrooms,

by Anonymousreply 183September 8, 2020 6:51 PM

Why the hell did they deviate from the original floorplan that had Blanche's bedroom off the hallway to the left of the frontdoor?

by Anonymousreply 184September 8, 2020 6:54 PM

When Rose first dates Miles she says she doesn't know what a metaphor is but she it's clearly explained to her in the Barbara Thornedyke episode.

by Anonymousreply 185September 8, 2020 7:06 PM

I agree they should have kept the plan where Blanche's was off the lanai. Makes sense that she would get her privacy.

by Anonymousreply 186September 8, 2020 7:19 PM

It's all made-up by the writers. Made-up shit can contradict other made-up shit. It's sitcom entertainment; not a documentary.

by Anonymousreply 187September 8, 2020 7:21 PM

GG is NOT a made up show! It's REAL! REAL! REAL!

by Anonymousreply 188September 8, 2020 7:22 PM

Sets are a problem in multi-cam shows filmed in front of an audience. They have a limited amount of space and usually only have room for three fixed sets and maybe one or two smaller or flexible ones. These limitations account for a lot of the house layout issues.

by Anonymousreply 189September 8, 2020 7:57 PM

[quote] GG is NOT a made up show! It's REAL! REAL! REAL!

No it isn't. It's just a TV show.

Now ALF, on the other hand, is real and his show was just a cover-up to that effect.

by Anonymousreply 190September 9, 2020 12:07 PM

I love how they always brush off Rose's problems. She gets a letter about Charlie's company going bankrupt and losing her pension. Eh, they probably can't cut you off. Call them and everything will be fine. She gets a letter she may have HIV. You'll go get a test and everything will be fine.

by Anonymousreply 191September 9, 2020 1:09 PM

Well, as her friends I guess that beats them telling her, “Oh you’re fucked.”

by Anonymousreply 192September 9, 2020 1:35 PM

[quote] When Rose first dates Miles she says she doesn't know what a metaphor is but she it's clearly explained to her in the Barbara Thornedyke episode.

She gets a pass from me. I’ve had metaphors and things like that explained to me and sometimes I don’t get them either.

by Anonymousreply 193September 9, 2020 1:36 PM

R186: Stop and think about this. That meant the lanai was right behind the living room. Which means every time there was a party or gathering or whatever, they would have to film some of them standing in the area outside, behind the living room, if anyone went back inside the house. By moving the lanai to that round the corner entrance, they don't have to worry about that. It's the old "what makes sense in a house layout is a nightmare for production" issue.

by Anonymousreply 194September 9, 2020 1:42 PM

R193 is...limited.

by Anonymousreply 195September 9, 2020 1:44 PM

[quotw]She gets a letter she may have HIV. You'll go get a test and everything will be fine.

And they were right in both cases!

by Anonymousreply 196September 9, 2020 5:42 PM

Yeah, cause it's TV. If you got a letter you might be poz and your friends replied "where do we wanna brunch today?" wouldn't you be pissed off?

by Anonymousreply 197September 9, 2020 7:01 PM

But it's TV so why would you expect more?

by Anonymousreply 198September 9, 2020 7:44 PM

ew you gave me an R cup!

by Anonymousreply 199September 9, 2020 7:47 PM

All their kids were assholes.

by Anonymousreply 200September 9, 2020 8:52 PM

R198, I would expect a bit more concern and the "da na na na, don don, ding ding" serious music cue they had.

by Anonymousreply 201September 9, 2020 9:25 PM

it was strange that 4 women with at least 13 children among them and we only met 2 from Dororthy 2 from Sophia 2 from Blanche 2 from Rose

and I'm not counting Golden palace(but if I did I think we meet 1 child of both Rose and Blanche)

by Anonymousreply 202September 9, 2020 9:38 PM

But it's TV.

by Anonymousreply 203September 9, 2020 9:48 PM

The Golden Palace introduced Tad, Blanche's retarded brother. We'd certainly never heard about him before.

by Anonymousreply 204September 9, 2020 10:28 PM

R202: I only remember Rebecca for Blanche. Who was number 2? And no, fat Rebecca and skinny Rebecca do not count as 2, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 205September 9, 2020 11:35 PM

Janet. She's seen in one of the last episodes of the series in a "b-plot" that goes absolutely nowhere and was obviously just filler for the two parter.

by Anonymousreply 206September 9, 2020 11:54 PM

I miss Sexy Grandma!

by Anonymousreply 207September 9, 2020 11:56 PM

I think it was easier to block for the cameras with her going down the communal hallway. Her grand exits wouldn’t have been the same is she’d gone the either way, which wouldn’t give her the opportunity to really strut.

by Anonymousreply 208September 9, 2020 11:59 PM

We never got to meet Biff, Doug, or Skippy Devereaux.

by Anonymousreply 209September 10, 2020 12:58 AM

[quote]Maybe one of them grew up to be hot

Or gay, like Uncle Clayton.

by Anonymousreply 210September 10, 2020 1:25 AM

Matthew Devereaux appeared on [italic]Golden Palace[/italic] and wanted to be a comedian. He must have been inspired by Big Daddy's short-lived music career.

by Anonymousreply 211September 10, 2020 1:26 AM

How many children did Rose have? I remember Kirsten and the one Dorothy's son slept with.

by Anonymousreply 212September 10, 2020 1:28 AM

Rose and Blanche both have 5 children that are mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 213September 10, 2020 1:33 AM

Blanche's children was another inconsistency:

[quote]Blanche mentions the names of six children: Janet, Rebecca, Mathew, Doug, "Biff", and "Skippy". However, in the third-season episode "Bringing Up Baby", when Dorothy questions an impulsive car purchase, Blanche says to her: "I have had four children, I have never had a Mercedes". She mentions three sons — Skippy, Biff and Doug — in the episode "Bringing Up Baby", while the fourth name, Matthew, was mentioned in the episode "To Catch a Neighbor" and made an on-screen appearance on an episode of The Golden Palace

by Anonymousreply 214September 10, 2020 2:18 AM

R191

Yes, you are spot on -- the invalidation that was hurled at Rose often made me extremely uncomfortable.

The most hardcore "invalidator "was Dorothy. She would act like the other girls were simply batshit crazy to EVER be concerned or worried about anything, ever. She would get the most condescending tone and be like "OH, C'MON! THAT'S RIDICULOUS! YOU'LL BE FINE! EVERYTHING IS GONNA BE FINE!" I am sensitive to people being flat-out invalidated, and it takes me out of the story when it happens.

Although Dorothy is my favorite character, the way she is written, she can be hypocritical, and that is annoying. Like, she gets to worry about her chronic fatigue, but Rose shouldn't worry about potentially having AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 215September 10, 2020 3:19 AM

Rose finally meets her birth father after 60 something years.... and then he is never mentioned again.

by Anonymousreply 216September 10, 2020 8:32 PM

Rose's dad had too much Monking to do.

by Anonymousreply 217September 10, 2020 8:43 PM

Yeah that was silly r216.

by Anonymousreply 218September 11, 2020 2:59 AM

You think that's bad, R216, trying moving across the globe to Miami and never being heard from again.

by Anonymousreply 219September 11, 2020 1:43 PM

Aunt Angela was an even nastier, more annoying woman than Sophia so I'm glad she disappeared. Uncle Angelo was a total tool with a terrible accent.

I always thought it rude that Dorothy made invitations for people to stay without mentioning it to Blanche or the others first, like when she said Angela can stay with them til she finds somewhere. It isn't your house, Stretch.

by Anonymousreply 220September 11, 2020 2:15 PM

At one point it actually was her house, at least partly.

by Anonymousreply 221September 11, 2020 2:18 PM

Dorothy wasn't a guest in the home. She was paying rent, which gives her the ability to invite people to stay over.

by Anonymousreply 222September 11, 2020 2:18 PM

Absolutely R221 but not when she offered these people long stays.

by Anonymousreply 223September 11, 2020 2:19 PM

R222 of course she can, but right in front of Blanche she invited Angela to stay for as long as she liked with them if she moved to Miami.

There are other instances when she had people to stay that Blanche knew nothing about it before they arrived.

by Anonymousreply 224September 11, 2020 2:22 PM

HowI could Dorothy not know that her mother and aunt had a fight and hadn't talked in 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 225September 11, 2020 2:26 PM

Dorothy had a breakdown after Stan left her and had forgotten R225

That's also why she went from being a high-flying Headmistress to a substitute teacher.

by Anonymousreply 226September 11, 2020 2:29 PM

[quote] Aunt Angela was an even nastier, more annoying woman than Sophia so I'm glad she disappeared. Uncle Angelo was a total tool with a terrible accent.

This is why they made them Italian instead of Jewish. If they were Jewish, you'd have cried anti-semitism until the cows came home.

by Anonymousreply 227September 11, 2020 2:31 PM

R220: Look, I'm trying to have a heartfelt last few years with my mother and my favorite aunt. SO BUTT OUT, RAMBO!!!!

by Anonymousreply 228September 11, 2020 3:42 PM

Mother Dorothy, then shove them in your slum tenament.

by Anonymousreply 229September 11, 2020 3:49 PM

R229: That my ex-husband bought without my knowledge, probably at the same time he bought the corvette without my knowledge! I was too busy doing jazzercise to pay attention, you know.

And frankly, who are you to judge me?!?! That Norwegian pea brain forced us to turn the house into a blind help house for a whole week for her sister, who tried to fry bacon herself and REFUSED to wear dark glasses. I mean, she kept her eyes closed, as though she was PRETENDING. That's not coping!

And let's not forget the week we had to be mothers again for that Georgian tramp's rotten grandson, until my mother put him in his place. My grandmother would had the kid's bare ass as red as marinara sauce when the cop brought him in from the Bahamas!

Let me spell it out for you, R229. Go to hell. ;)

by Anonymousreply 230September 11, 2020 3:58 PM

Mother Dorothy, you inherited that slum from Stsn's dead Uncle and it didn't stop you spending your rent income on hideous smelly boots and cowl sweaters!

by Anonymousreply 231September 11, 2020 4:16 PM

Tell me about it, r219.

Tell me all about it.

by Anonymousreply 232September 11, 2020 4:38 PM

R231: Look, it was sold after the judge made me spend the night in it with that bastard ex of mine. Once I got it, I sold my shares, and used the paperwork to beat Rose over the head for filling that TV report in the first place. What more do you want??

....Trudie, is that you? You old bitch!

by Anonymousreply 233September 11, 2020 7:52 PM

Dorothy's pajamas were the same style as her day clothes.

by Anonymousreply 234September 11, 2020 11:21 PM

I thought Dorothy wore nighties?

by Anonymousreply 235September 12, 2020 8:27 AM

r150

Phil's funeral is on now and Sophia said they convinced Angela to have Phil buried in the family plot in Miami

by Anonymousreply 236September 12, 2020 12:37 PM

Who was in the family plot in Miami?

by Anonymousreply 237September 12, 2020 7:46 PM

R237, Sal and Dorothy's dignity.

by Anonymousreply 238September 12, 2020 7:48 PM

And why did Phil's poker buddies make the flight down, but none of his kids, or Gloria, or Gloria's presumed kids, or Dorothy's kids, or even Stan, who lives in the same town and was his brother-in-law for 38 years?

And none of those inconsistencies are as bad as Estelle trying to cry at the end!

by Anonymousreply 239September 12, 2020 7:49 PM

Maybe they were all at the funeral and the girls came home with Big Sal as it was too much for the Raisin In Sneakers.

by Anonymousreply 240September 12, 2020 7:52 PM

Brenda and Estelle were both Emmy nominated for the Phil's funeral episode.

by Anonymousreply 241September 12, 2020 7:56 PM

Based on their ages in the series, all three girls are probably still alive.

by Anonymousreply 242September 12, 2020 9:02 PM

r241

that's embarrassing

by Anonymousreply 243September 12, 2020 9:12 PM

R239 It's the same thing with births, weddings and funerals in soap operas. It's due to two things: actor availability and more importantly money.

I mean on Days of Our Lives, Justin and Adrienne have 3 sons (two of which are identical twins) and two of them have been living in Salem for decades and yet haven't actually appeared onscreen in nearly 30 years since they were infants.

by Anonymousreply 244September 12, 2020 10:47 PM

r244

They all live in Arizona now and other than Sonny, I thought they have always been in Arizona since they left Salem the 1st time

by Anonymousreply 245September 13, 2020 12:27 AM

R244/R245: Dorothy.....WHAT THE HELL ARE WE TALKING ABOUT?

by Anonymousreply 246September 13, 2020 12:34 AM

r246

DOOL!!!

by Anonymousreply 247September 13, 2020 12:56 AM

R239, Like the viewers, Stan and Dorothy's children as well as their nephews and nieces, never met Phil. They kept that part consistent!

by Anonymousreply 248September 13, 2020 2:46 AM

Which episode was Sophia the biggest cunt in? I say it’s Phil’s funeral. She distanced herself from the family for that long over a bounced check? It was supposed to be so petty that it was funny but it just made her a mean old bitch.

By that time, some dialogue here and there about her simply using her stroke as an excuse to be a twat would have been useful, because the original premise of the character was just gone.

by Anonymousreply 249September 13, 2020 9:05 AM

R249 I think it was funny because the cheque issue was clearly an excuse. She admits she expected his wife to stop Phil cross-dressing and lead a "normal" life. Sophia is angry this didn't happen and that "Big Sal" embraced and condoned it.

Digging deeper, it's revealed Sophia blames herself for whatever it was that started her son cross-dressing and harbors a lot of guilt. It's only when his wife assures her that her son was a "good man" that Sophia can let go and cry "my baby is gone". That last line always gets me.

That's my interpretation of it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 250September 13, 2020 9:14 AM

R250, that's exactly what it was all about.. it's all spelled out for the viewer.

by Anonymousreply 251September 13, 2020 9:18 AM

R250 Weird, I don’t remember all that. I just remember the “My baby is gone” part. I guess I need to watch it again. I usually skip it.

And never mind about that being her bitchiest moment—I forgot about the episode where she pretends to be channeling Charlie’s spirit to fuck with Rose. Rose was beyond stupid by that point and Sophia was beyond mean. That’s one moment where it’s obvious that the show needed to wrap up (and I’m actually a huge fan of season 7).

by Anonymousreply 252September 13, 2020 9:54 AM

R252 right on. That's easily the nastiest thing Sophia did. She watched Rose break up with Miles, conned her out of money and didn't seem to see what she was doing was wrong. Awful writing, I'm surprised Estelle didn't refuse to play it.

by Anonymousreply 253September 13, 2020 10:18 AM

You’re right about it all, r250, except she disparagingly referred to her as “Big Sally.”

by Anonymousreply 254September 13, 2020 6:04 PM

In the episode when the Mercedes gets possessed and they all take a ride in it as it's being towed if you look closely there is a woman sitting in the driver's seat who looks noticeably younger than the main characters wearing a white wig that looks nothing like Rose or Dorothy's respective hairstyles. That's even worse than the editing used for Betty's dance/cartwheel doubles.

by Anonymousreply 255September 13, 2020 8:20 PM

Why did Blanche's house have a fireplace?

by Anonymousreply 256September 14, 2020 1:29 AM

It's not quite that simple r222. The way it technically works is you are allowed to have a guest stay about ~2 weeks in a 6 month period, and more than that you are violating your lease agreement in terms of how many people are staying in the property.

by Anonymousreply 257September 14, 2020 9:12 PM

35th Anniversary today bitches.

by Anonymousreply 258September 15, 2020 12:13 AM

Awww R258 that's amazing! Where did the time go?

I have to have a mini "thon" now. Thank you for telling us!

by Anonymousreply 259September 15, 2020 12:22 AM

Why did Stan always have to show up at the door and say, "Hi, it's me, Stan?"

by Anonymousreply 260September 15, 2020 1:42 AM

Honestly R259, I'm surprised others hadn't mentioned it, given how fanatical some people are. There must be a separate anniversary thread.

by Anonymousreply 261September 15, 2020 4:02 AM

R260 For the viewers at home, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 262September 15, 2020 6:24 AM

The viewers had seen him hundreds of times, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 263September 15, 2020 6:52 AM

R131 she was also 1) the tallest and 2) the STAR and wouldn’t have fucking had it any other way.

by Anonymousreply 264September 15, 2020 8:53 AM

Did they ever get that hottub?

by Anonymousreply 265September 15, 2020 11:57 AM

For the same reason the front door had a peephole for exactly one episode, R256.

by Anonymousreply 266September 15, 2020 12:17 PM

It was his “schtick,” r260. Much like Sophia’s “picture it....”

by Anonymousreply 267September 15, 2020 12:32 PM

[quote] The way it technically works is you are allowed to have a guest stay about ~2 weeks in a 6 month period, and more than that you are violating your lease agreement in terms of how many people are staying in the property.

You think every landlord across the entire nation has the same lease for every single renter?

If that were the case we wouldn’t need Landlord & Tenant’s Court to have a judge interpret leases.

by Anonymousreply 268September 15, 2020 12:33 PM

Yes, it was obviously his schtick... but an entirely dumb and unnecessary one.

by Anonymousreply 269September 15, 2020 7:21 PM

Why did they even add Janet to the Rose/heart attack episodes? It literally cannot be understated how useless and unnecessary she was. She had NOTHING to do with the episodes at all. NOTHING. It’s like they accidentally spliced it with scenes from the wrong episode.

Between that and Kiersten’s mopey ass, those episodes makes me violent.

by Anonymousreply 270September 16, 2020 6:23 AM

Wait. R269, your initials spell BED?

😉

by Anonymousreply 271September 16, 2020 1:20 PM

Did any of the Girls ever do nudity in their film careers?

by Anonymousreply 272September 16, 2020 5:53 PM

Sophia had a best friend that was a nun who was never mentioned prior to the nun's death or after.

by Anonymousreply 273September 17, 2020 1:27 AM

[quote] Did any of the Girls ever do nudity in their film careers?

At the insistence of Bill Macy, Bea Arthur was was going to go full frontal in [italic]LucyMAME[/italic], but Gene Saks talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 274September 17, 2020 1:42 AM

Sophia was butt naked in Tootsie but that scene was cut.

by Anonymousreply 275September 17, 2020 2:26 AM

No but there used to be some thing on YouTube of Rue McClanahan’s feet — from some TV movie.

Also did Bea skip those season 7 episodes because she had a hysterectomy ? I read that somewhere not sure if here...

by Anonymousreply 276September 17, 2020 4:52 AM

always shocked that they leave the scene where a guy tells Blanche that he can cure her of her "lesbianism" because she had never been with a real man

by Anonymousreply 277September 17, 2020 11:23 AM

Also....I’m home for a bit watching Laverne & Shirley right now (no comment) and Shirley mentioned going on a date with “Alan Steckler.” Didn’t they have one of the same writers for a while?

It’s funny how some of these writers/creators will just blatantly recycle names like no one will notice.

by Anonymousreply 278September 17, 2020 7:45 PM

Blanche states that she was getting her nails done when George died (where he'd been in a coma)... and then later claims she was at home when she got a call from the Police that he had been in an accident and died.

by Anonymousreply 279September 18, 2020 1:16 AM

There seem to be conflicting stories about Charlie and what he did for a living and his financial situation.

by Anonymousreply 280September 18, 2020 2:05 AM

R279 Maybe she had a manicurist make a house call and the she got the call while she was receiving a topcoat?

by Anonymousreply 281September 18, 2020 2:07 AM

R281

The first story she tells indicates he had a long term illness. The second story she tells reveals the death to be an unexpected accident .

by Anonymousreply 282September 18, 2020 2:24 AM

r280

I always thought Charlie just changed jobs a lot... My dad was like that(but he was an alcoholic so maybe that's why Charlie couldn't keep a job)

by Anonymousreply 283September 18, 2020 10:37 AM

Generally, it makes no sense how they circle back to this theme of "we are family, we are sisters" over and over. Yet in between those assertions, I have never seen four women be so cruel and gaslighting to one another. (Maybe the Kardashians?) I don't know how they could stand to live together being as rude and cutting and vengeful as they all are.

It's really shocking, for instance, how badly they all treat Rose. Occasionally I will laugh but often it's so "mean girls" that I can't even laugh with the studio audience about it.

And finally, the finale of the last season seemed so bizarre, having Dorothy fast-track that wedding to Blanche's uncle and hotfoot it out of there -- after asserting for six seasons how they were always going to be together and take care of one another in their aging years.

She leaves her MOTHER behind with the other girls. Her aging, mercurial, be-strok'd mother? Really?!

It's like she'd been waiting seven seasons, silently scanning, praying for the opportunity to get the hell out to emerge. And when it did, Dorothy was on it like like bees on honey. Blanche's uncle. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 284September 18, 2020 12:45 PM

Blanche's SEXY Uncle R284!

She was going to take the old Gheko with her, but she refused to go.

by Anonymousreply 285September 18, 2020 5:22 PM

[quote] She was going to take the old Gheko with her

The old WHO?

by Anonymousreply 286September 18, 2020 9:18 PM

R273 Anytime someone died Sophia always claimed they were her best friend even though they were never mentioned or seen.. Gladys Winestock, the Nun, the woman inspired Martha Lamont, and I'm sure there are others. The only constantly mentioned friend she seemed to have was the Gladys that showed up in "Miles to Go" with the Tony Martin concert tickets.

by Anonymousreply 287September 19, 2020 4:05 AM

Sophia kept upgrading her friends to "Best" status as the previous title-holders kept dying.

by Anonymousreply 288September 19, 2020 10:43 AM

Sophia was a nasty old shit

by Anonymousreply 289September 19, 2020 1:08 PM

I just rewatched the "Lebanese" episode. I'm thinking that Sophia's acceptance of Jean may have been a bit too progressive. Sophia was 80 years old, Catholic, and Italian.

by Anonymousreply 290September 19, 2020 1:37 PM

Sophia used to have a lessie affair at Shady Pines

by Anonymousreply 291September 19, 2020 2:04 PM

The one where Sophia is looking at going to jail for setting fire to Shady Pines was a bridge too far. Just the worst. A two-parter!

by Anonymousreply 292September 20, 2020 2:34 AM

It's not like she was fresh off the boat though r290, she had been a New Yorker for most of her life.

by Anonymousreply 293September 20, 2020 3:53 AM

The clip shows were the worse. Those must've been real slow days in the writer's room or maybe Susan Harris was having a flare up of her CFS. The faux clip shows which featured flashbacks to scenes that were created just for those episodes were good.

by Anonymousreply 294September 20, 2020 4:50 AM

This show's clip shows were less cringeworthy because the clips themselves hold up. It's the linking framework that feels wobbly. No way the writers were going to waste A-level jokes on one of these episodes.

by Anonymousreply 295September 20, 2020 5:17 AM

R284, the show just reset on Hallmark and at the end of the pilot it's Bea who says even if they all get married they still be together. They should've introduced Lucas several episodes earlier, if not the whole season. Getting married after 1 episode was ridiculous and totally out of character.

by Anonymousreply 296September 20, 2020 5:33 AM

It’s fucking hilarious how Hallmark’s Golden Girls block always loops back to the Pilot on the same night as the finale, so immediately after you watch Dorothy get married and ditch her sobbing friends, you get to watch Dorothy make the girls promise each other they won’t leave if they get married.

by Anonymousreply 297September 20, 2020 6:04 AM

If they showed them out of order, some people might complain.

by Anonymousreply 298September 20, 2020 6:15 AM

R298 What I meant is, the finale never seems to be the last episode of the night. It’s especially funny seeing the pact they make in the Pilot within thirty minutes of seeing their blubbering faces fading to black.

by Anonymousreply 299September 20, 2020 6:38 AM

If they threw [italic]Golden Palace[/italic] into the mix and showed that show's last episode followed by GG's first, you would show how they look like bookends since both involve a fiancée of Blanche's. You also show how much they were straining for ideas in a new setting. What the hell was the point of that nightmarish dream sequence with everybody getting pregnant? They actually forgot about Blanche going through menopause!

by Anonymousreply 300September 20, 2020 7:09 AM

[quote] The clip shows were the worse.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 301September 20, 2020 12:45 PM

Betty would never have worked as the sex mad trollop. She was too old and uncooth.

by Anonymousreply 302September 23, 2020 6:39 PM

r302

I'm not sure but 2 emmys playing sex/man obsessed SueAnn Nivens on Mary Tyler More may suggest otherwise

by Anonymousreply 303September 23, 2020 8:07 PM

R303 for that show and that decade it was great (plus remember Sue Ann was a supporting character and wasn’t even on every episode), but I don’t think she would have been able to take it to that next level to keep it fresh.

Plus Blanche was a lead role and it wasn’t just her coming into a scene and saying some funny lines; it requires some real character development and to be honest I’m not sure Betty would have been able to pull off something like that. Her strengths are totally different.

by Anonymousreply 304September 23, 2020 8:40 PM

[quote] She was too old and uncooth.

You may be right, but I’ll bet she can spell.

by Anonymousreply 305September 23, 2020 9:14 PM

I have been rewatching some of my favorite episodes (season 4 is a winner). And I have to say, the acting is fucking incredible. Talking about character development and the relationships between the four "girls" -- it is sooo good. They are brilliantly, insanely talented.

The episode where Dorothy starts seeing little shlumpy Eddie, and it turns into a physical-only relationship and she is explaining to Rose how carnal it all is "I'm talking SEX, Rose." It's just so good. So raw and funny. Also the one where Stan is getting married again, and Sohpia has pneumonia, and Dorothy thinks she needs to get back with Stan...really good acting. Really raw and real. God they were talented.

by Anonymousreply 306September 24, 2020 1:30 AM

R106 funny that’s my least favorite season. They all looked terrible that year too.

by Anonymousreply 307September 24, 2020 2:16 AM

I loved the season when they had the same Buick always coming up the driveway or parked in the driveway. None of those ladies seemed like the Buick type.

Dorothy probably had whatever the 90s version of a Prius was.

Rose probably had a Chevy

Blanche probably had a red convertable

Sophia had a bus pass

by Anonymousreply 308September 24, 2020 4:02 AM

Didn't one of them drive a Gremlin? I vaguely remember that R308.

by Anonymousreply 309September 24, 2020 4:44 AM

R257 sounds... limited.

by Anonymousreply 310September 24, 2020 5:34 AM

R309 Rose drove one in the episode with Enrique Maas. But I’m sure the writers had her driving something else in the very next episode, you know how they are.

by Anonymousreply 311September 24, 2020 5:54 AM

What I loved even better was the Buick would pull up at 80 miles an hour in the driveway. WTF

by Anonymousreply 312September 24, 2020 8:57 AM

[Quote]God they were talented.

Yes. Bea, Betty and Rue were just giving masterclasses in sitcom acting.

Estelle is more limited, but was pitch perfect delivering a witty one liner.

by Anonymousreply 313September 24, 2020 2:58 PM

Remember when the old lady was pinching their cars and going out driving? I would have reported her for Grand Theft Auto and had her locked up!

by Anonymousreply 314September 24, 2020 4:27 PM

R314 Agreed, that was not a funny premise. She legit could have killed people!

by Anonymousreply 315September 24, 2020 8:19 PM

[quote]What I loved even better was the Buick would pull up at 80 miles an hour in the driveway. WTF

I agree with that. What was that about? There was also the episode when the cab came up the driveway.

by Anonymousreply 316September 24, 2020 8:26 PM

THE cab contained Blanche coming home after a bender at The Rusty Anchor

by Anonymousreply 317September 24, 2020 8:48 PM

It was speeding because she needed a slash like yesterday

by Anonymousreply 318September 24, 2020 10:24 PM

There was a lot of dumb writing on that show. Like the time the girls were "shipwrecked" and Dorothy revealed that Rose had a nose job that she never told Blanche about. Like she could keep that secret from someone she lived with.

by Anonymousreply 319September 24, 2020 11:56 PM

She couldn't even hide getting knocked up by a yutz in high school!

by Anonymousreply 320September 25, 2020 12:01 AM

Ok, so I am watching S5 Ep 6 "Dancing In The Dark" which is the first episode where Rose starts seeing Miles. It is really glaringly weird to know his whole story arc, and then to go back and revisit this first episode.

He's hosting a dinner party at his place, wherein there is a houseful of uppity college professor "colleagues." How does someone get a legitimate job as a college professor if they are not qualified? He teaches a class on Hemingway! He can keep up intellectually with all the other professors? Really?

Did some fake Ph.D qualifications come with the Witness Relocation package?

Obviously the answer is thus: the Cheeseman plotline was not on anyone's radar when the writers brought Miles into Rose's life. And it really should never have happened. It was ridiculous in the extreme!

by Anonymousreply 321September 25, 2020 3:07 AM

Who did the housework? Never saw the girls with a vacuum or lemon-fresh Pledge.

by Anonymousreply 322September 25, 2020 3:08 AM

Dorothy dusted when Lorraine's family was coming. Blanche cleaned when her sister Virginia was visiting. Blanche attempted to reshelve the kitchen cabinets. Rose rearranged the kitchen cabinets. Get some Windex for your eyes, R322.

by Anonymousreply 323September 25, 2020 3:15 AM

Rose cleaned the garage once.

by Anonymousreply 324September 25, 2020 3:15 AM

Since their money situation changed depending on the plot, I choose to assume that they had a cleaning lady come in once a week.

What always annoyed me was when Dorothy and Rose would have to chip in for household repairs like the roof or something like that. What kind of rental agreement did they have with Blanche?

by Anonymousreply 325September 25, 2020 3:27 AM

R325 Trying to remember--was the roof repair before, or after, they became co-owners of the house with Blanche?

by Anonymousreply 326September 25, 2020 3:57 AM

That was way before they became part owners of the house.

by Anonymousreply 327September 25, 2020 3:59 AM

Who mowed the lawn?

by Anonymousreply 328September 25, 2020 4:58 AM

They had a gardener. Remember that episode with the Asian gardener?

by Anonymousreply 329September 25, 2020 5:15 AM

They had 4 gardeners thanks to Blanche's exposure.

by Anonymousreply 330September 25, 2020 12:47 PM

One gardener used his leaf blower to try to blow Dorothy's skirt over her head.

by Anonymousreply 331September 25, 2020 12:51 PM

Imagine the image of Dorothy, skirt over her beautiful head, long-John bloomers down to her knees, furry boots halfway up her ankles. Hasn't used a razor since Stan left.

by Anonymousreply 332September 25, 2020 4:19 PM

You're forgetting Marg-you-REET?

by Anonymousreply 333September 25, 2020 5:44 PM

Rose scrubbed the shitters, showers and baths

Dorothy scrubs the floors and conducts pest control (mice and spiders only)

The Old Lady shifts furniture and cleans the kitchen, which reeks of her smelly maranara sauce

Blanche lightly dusts once per week and cleans the windows (in a skimpy negligee which exposes her perky bosom)

by Anonymousreply 334September 25, 2020 7:19 PM

Remember when Blanche couldn't pronounce bleach? Are we to presume that the other women did her laundry?

by Anonymousreply 335September 25, 2020 7:22 PM

Blanche only needed Sophia's assistance removing semen stains after her all nighters at The Rusty Wanker

by Anonymousreply 336September 25, 2020 7:31 PM

I bet Coco was that homeless bag lady Rose saw that one time.

by Anonymousreply 337September 25, 2020 7:38 PM

BLEE-ACH

by Anonymousreply 338September 25, 2020 7:40 PM

All these threads for a 35 year old fictional TV show about 4 old ladies. Geez.

by Anonymousreply 339September 25, 2020 7:54 PM

The jealous Linda Bloodworth-Thomason at R339

by Anonymousreply 340September 25, 2020 7:56 PM

Did Blanche take her bra off during sex?

by Anonymousreply 341September 25, 2020 8:02 PM

Her tits are too small to wear a bra.

by Anonymousreply 342September 25, 2020 8:05 PM

I always hated that joke, R338. It would've even been ridiculous as a Rose joke.

by Anonymousreply 343September 25, 2020 8:44 PM

How would a spoiled woman like Blanche have gone from having a nanny, never change a diaper, rich to doing her own chores? Don't see it, George left her rich.

by Anonymousreply 344September 25, 2020 9:37 PM

4 old ladies go to a Madonna concert?

by Anonymousreply 345September 26, 2020 1:43 AM

"And Charles Nelson Reilly!" *dead silence*

by Anonymousreply 346September 26, 2020 4:41 AM

Madonna wasn't even that big in 1985. Her show wouldn't have been an EVENT.

by Anonymousreply 347September 26, 2020 3:59 PM

Well, since it was in the script I’d believe she was and it would’ve been. Otherwise everyone would say, “Who?!” when they referred to her.

That didn’t happen.

by Anonymousreply 348September 26, 2020 5:36 PM

You're right, R347. By the time the episode premiered, Madonna only had 7 top 10 singles, 2 which hit #1, 1 which lasted 6 weeks. Constant play on MTV, appearing on Live Aid. They should've used someone bigger like Alisha.

by Anonymousreply 349September 27, 2020 1:58 AM

R347 is an ass. 1985 was Madonna's HUGE year. Crazy for You hit #1 and Desperately Seeking Susan was top box office. FU!

by Anonymousreply 350September 27, 2020 2:14 AM

Like a sturgeon, hooked for the very first time!

by Anonymousreply 351September 27, 2020 2:13 PM

The producers of Grab That Dough would send the tickets out four months in advance and not bother to check in with them at all before tape date?

by Anonymousreply 352September 28, 2020 12:34 PM

r352

I was just coming here to complain about this episode... it surprises me that it is from season 3 because later seasons had plots that made no sense but so many issues with this episode

by Anonymousreply 353September 28, 2020 12:44 PM

And then the hotel clerk says there's not a vacant room in the entire city? Really? Not one hotel room in all of LA? Maybe if the Olympics were taking place but they don't even give a reason like conventions or anything.

by Anonymousreply 354September 28, 2020 12:49 PM

r354

This episode also suffers due to edit for syndication. I think the clerk did explain that there was a convention but it is cut in most versions now

by Anonymousreply 355September 28, 2020 1:02 PM

R352 R353 R354 The construction of this episode is soooo terrible. Nothing about it is believable. From the tickets being sent to Sicily first, to them all agreeing to fly a redeye at the last minute across the country, to sleeping in the hotel lobby for $75. And then having all their purses stolen while sleeping, even though it's not a shithole hotel, and the desk attendant is right there, and any sane person would have used their purse as a pillow anyway expressly to avoid having it swiped. NO WOMAN would be able to sleep in a public environment with her purse casually on the ground.

Then lo, Sophia has the tickets in here stale old bra! And although they have no money between them, they somehow get to the studio, no problem! They somehow get to the airport, no problem! They somehow get on the plane home, with no tickets -- no problem! They aren't even that upset about losing their purses, which would have included drivers' licenses, credit cards and cash. No biggie!

And then there was the splitting up into factions. How is it that these brothers who have been on a winning streak on the show, suddenly are the most ignorant, low IQ people on earth now because Dorothy and Blanche are on their team? And wouldn't the producer tell them no, you have to be on your own team, that's the whole point, there was a winning team and now you are the new challengers?

The only thing that redeems the episode, is that "Grab That Dough" is a truly funny concept. And Dorothy them in the plexiglass box grabbing chaotically at the flying bills is pretty funny. It's like someone had the funny concept, but then the writers were tasked with building an episode around it. But the scaffolding to get to that moment of them grabbing the dough is so shoddy, it's hard to enjoy the punchline.

by Anonymousreply 356September 28, 2020 1:03 PM

they never show their stuff getting taken while sleeping anymore either

not sure why the sound is weird

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357September 28, 2020 1:05 PM

Like they would suddenly give away the rooms in the middle of the night. Like some people just waltzed in at 3 am for rooms. That's just nuts.

by Anonymousreply 358September 28, 2020 1:09 PM

R357 Yeah, they got their purses stolen in the episode you linked. I think the they sped up the voices so to evade copyright infringement laws.

by Anonymousreply 359September 28, 2020 1:12 PM

R355, I used to think that too. While that scene is edited a bit for syndication, I own it on DVD and the clerk never gives a reason why there isn't a vacant room in the city.

by Anonymousreply 360September 28, 2020 1:17 PM

r356, there's also the issue of a flight arriving at 2am in LA. If Miami to LA is about a 5 1/2 hour flight, the last flight out would be about 10 or 10:30 and getting in to LAX before 1am. I don't know about then, but now, the last one leaves at 9 and arrives in LA at 11:30.

The idea that they were arriving to LAX and not getting to the hotel until after 3am seems absurd enough anyways, but that the hotel cancels their reservations at 3, and someone else was there to take their room, and there's a convention (maybe the clerk lied to get the $75?), and none of them think to watch their purses in a hotel lobby in a major city where the disreputable clerk has just screwed them.

Yeah, it's a lot to swallow.

by Anonymousreply 361September 28, 2020 5:22 PM

Grab that ho!

by Anonymousreply 362September 28, 2020 5:24 PM

I was confused a few episodes prior when fat Becky comes. At the very end, after she and Blanche make up, the next scene Becky leaves, everyone sits down and sighs. Then Sophia says "I thought we agreed we wouldn't talk about the children." I never understood that. Did she mean Becky and Jeremy? Was Becky pregnant by Jeremy or did she have a kid with him already?

by Anonymousreply 363September 28, 2020 6:06 PM

Jeremy was such an asshole. I wished there was a scene where Dorothy lost it and kicked the shit out of him for treating Original Becky like shit. Honestly Becky #2 was better when it's usually the original actors who are better (Gloria, Dennis, Kiersten).

by Anonymousreply 364September 28, 2020 6:26 PM

R8 , George did set up a Trust fund for his illegitimate son .

by Anonymousreply 365September 28, 2020 7:01 PM

So were any of the "girls" good parents, or no? They sure don't allude to it. Sophia, with all her "pussycat" nonsense, seems like she doesn't have maternal bone in her body. Stan's mother hated him. Golden Girls presents a spicy take on the richness of post-menopausal life, but the take on motherhood is that it was basically a thankless chore at best, an untimely curse at worst. And seems to be low on the priority list all around.

by Anonymousreply 366September 28, 2020 8:45 PM

I am the wolf

by Anonymousreply 367September 28, 2020 9:21 PM

The big bad wolf

by Anonymousreply 368September 29, 2020 2:58 AM

Let's talk about Empty Nest. That show gets no love.

by Anonymousreply 369September 29, 2020 3:01 AM

r369 Really?

by Anonymousreply 370September 29, 2020 3:08 AM

Just watched the switched at birth story. If Gina was the same age as Dorothy, were we supposed to believe that she was just getting married in her late 50s

I also watched the Blanche's slutty niece episode. Quite a hypocritical episode, but they never stated which of Blanche's siblings sired the slut.

by Anonymousreply 371September 29, 2020 1:03 PM

And we never saw the niece again, even though she was supposedly going to school in Miami.

by Anonymousreply 372September 29, 2020 1:26 PM

Tell me about it, R372.

by Anonymousreply 373September 29, 2020 1:34 PM

Blanche's relatives always arrive and then two seconds later, leave. David goes to meet kids on the corner, Lucy goes to get fucked, Big Daddy goes to check out the space for his performance. Odd.

by Anonymousreply 374September 29, 2020 1:36 PM

[quote] I also watched the Blanche's slutty niece episode. Quite a hypocritical episode, but they never stated which of Blanche's siblings sired the slut.

Episodes like that are why I rarely rewatch season one episodes unless it’s in the context of doing a marathon of the whole series or if I am in public and that’s what’s on the TV.

by Anonymousreply 375September 29, 2020 1:39 PM

I assumed the kids David met on the corner were young male prostitutes.

by Anonymousreply 376September 29, 2020 1:41 PM

R375, where are you going in public that The Golden Girls are on? Bathhouses?

by Anonymousreply 377September 29, 2020 1:49 PM

They used to run GG on a loop at The Cock

by Anonymousreply 378September 29, 2020 1:52 PM

Are used to belong to a gym where the treadmills had personal TVs on them and sometimes I would watch it there. Even while panting and sweating, I could always tell where stuff was cut.

by Anonymousreply 379September 29, 2020 1:55 PM

Are = I

by Anonymousreply 380September 29, 2020 1:55 PM

I witnessed a huge barroom brawl break out once when half the Marys wanted to watch Golden Girls and the other half wanted to watch Designing Women. It was so horrible. Blood and broken glass everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 381September 29, 2020 1:59 PM

I survived by casually walking out of the room unnoticed while whistling [italic]the Facts of Life[/italic] theme song.

by Anonymousreply 382September 29, 2020 2:52 PM

I know it was never stated but it seems most likely that Lucy could've been Charmaine's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 383September 29, 2020 7:00 PM

What was the order of the Hollingsworth sisters? I'm thinking Virginia, Blanche, then Charmaine. As for the brothers, I'm gonna assume they were bookends. The special needs brother was the oldest of all the kids and the gay brother was the baby of the family, since Blanche refers to him as her baby brother.

by Anonymousreply 384September 29, 2020 7:48 PM

I think it was also in the game show episode when it's mentioned they have to go to Hollywood and Rose asks, "Hollywood, California?" And they act like she's a moron. However, they're from Miami... Hollywood, FL is 30 minutes away and a pretty touristy area, so it wasn't exactly a stupid thing for Rose to ask.

by Anonymousreply 385September 29, 2020 9:56 PM

Why would a hospital even CONSIDER Rose as an administrator with her qualifications. And Dorothy wrote a cover letter in pencil, not even a resume. Was Rose supposed to type that up before her extremely early 8:30am interview?

by Anonymousreply 386September 30, 2020 3:02 AM

[quote] Blood and broken glass everywhere.

I can only imagine the amount of thread and fabric required to sew up those torn caftans.

by Anonymousreply 387September 30, 2020 12:52 PM

A memorial quilt was made from all the torn up caftans to honor the men who died that night.

by Anonymousreply 388September 30, 2020 1:10 PM

[quote] but they never stated which of Blanche's siblings sired the slut.

She would only have one sibling capable of that.

by Anonymousreply 389September 30, 2020 1:43 PM

Was Tad named Tad because he was just a tad special?

by Anonymousreply 390September 30, 2020 1:46 PM

I don't have time to look it up right this second, but I am sure the Girls made at least one if not more references to Donald Trump on the show. Like, in a negative light. Can anyone remember that?

Seeing how free the writers felt to have the characters complain about Bush Sr, I would LOVE to know how a show like Golden Girls would tackle a Trump presidency.

by Anonymousreply 391September 30, 2020 6:47 PM

Dorothy said that some fat old guy on Jeopardy was the anti-Trump. I don't remember who it was though.

by Anonymousreply 392September 30, 2020 6:48 PM

When Sophia was getting married, the girls were talking about getting married again, and Blanche says any man she would marry would have to have the resources of Mr. Donald Trump. LOL

by Anonymousreply 393September 30, 2020 6:50 PM

Sophia said that if she banged Trump they'd have to peel her off the ceiling.

by Anonymousreply 394September 30, 2020 6:52 PM

Merv Griffin was the anti trump

by Anonymousreply 395September 30, 2020 6:57 PM

Christmas 1989 episode. NO ONE goes home to their families or have family visit? All but Rose decide at the last minute to volunteer at the shelter. Did they not plan to cook a big dinner already? Sophia the devout Catholic was going to watch Scarface? Cheese slices on top of the apple pie?

by Anonymousreply 396October 1, 2020 4:22 AM

I was gonna post that they actually had it snow in Miami during an Xmas episode. Then I found this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397October 1, 2020 4:32 AM

R396 As invested in this show as I am, I guess I have to parrot some of the more cynical DL's on this topic and say...hey, it was just a TV show. Because there is no way in reality that the Girls would have their own little Christmas and then go to the shelter with Rose to help. And there is no way that Stan would end up there in a raggedy Santa suit. At the same shelter. In all of Miami. He would have reached out to the Girls, like he's always doing in every other episode. Or to Kate or Michael. But the truth is, the Girls would have flown to be with at least one of their kids. Or had their kids' families come to them. The only people who don't go to family for Christmas are people who either don't have family, or are estranged from their children in a bad way. But the Stan thing was the lest believable part of it all.

by Anonymousreply 398October 1, 2020 4:40 AM

I HATE that Christmas episode. Dorothy comes home from the mall complaining about the heat, swaddled in 5 layers of clothing. Sophia mentions grandkids. Which grandkids? Hers? Dorothy's? It's like the day before the holiday. How are the gifts getting there? Yes, it's just a TV show, but the writing is LAZY.

by Anonymousreply 399October 1, 2020 1:24 PM

The Mangiacavello curse episode (which I hate), there's this huge thing with Blanche being reluctant to lend Dorothy her fuckbuddy Doug. They build him up to be this big thing and they cast probably the least attractive guy they've had on the show to play him.

by Anonymousreply 400October 2, 2020 1:01 PM

r400

that ep is easily in the top 3 WORST episodes

Aunt Blanche???

by Anonymousreply 401October 2, 2020 6:40 PM

R400 well its not like they could show us Doug's massive 10 inch cock!

by Anonymousreply 402October 2, 2020 6:59 PM

No, but they could've at least cast someone who was in the same league as Donnelly Rhodes and the mink vet looks wise.

by Anonymousreply 403October 2, 2020 7:17 PM

r402

they could have at least suggested something like that though like Ernie

by Anonymousreply 404October 2, 2020 8:15 PM

Was Doug Mr. September in the Men of Blanche's Boudoir Calendar?

by Anonymousreply 405October 2, 2020 9:12 PM

Who doesn't long for a Very Special Episode of The Golden Girls, in which Blanche thinks that goody-two-shoes Dorothy is making a huge unnecessary stink about the dangers of this new disease sweeping through the US called the Novel Coronavirus? And they have a blow out fight because Blanche refuses to wear a mask, and refuses to stop bedding men?

And Then Blanche gets the Covid and ends up on a respirator?

And then none of Blanche's kids come to visit her in the hospital, and it is never discussed nor addressed why?

by Anonymousreply 406October 3, 2020 6:56 PM

R405, Charlie Nylund should've been October since it was alluded in another episode that he was hung. Then Rose would've found out much sooner that Blanche slept with him. Then we wouldn't have had the rest of that convoluted Christmas episode.

by Anonymousreply 407October 3, 2020 7:15 PM

I wish they aired the original series finale where Rose finally snaps after nearly a decade of abuse from her roommates, murders all 3 of them, frames Stan for it and then sells the house after forging Blanche's will and runs off to be with Jean.

by Anonymousreply 408October 3, 2020 9:40 PM

I would argue that Dorothy suffered much more abuse than Rose.

by Anonymousreply 409October 3, 2020 11:12 PM

R409 Tell us more. Cuz that seems wrong to me.

by Anonymousreply 410October 3, 2020 11:24 PM

I might need to explore this channel...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411October 4, 2020 10:50 PM

where's the Revenge of the Golden Girls Incontinence Thread?

by Anonymousreply 412October 4, 2020 10:55 PM

Kate and Allie would kick GG ass!

by Anonymousreply 413October 5, 2020 1:56 AM

[quote]there's also the issue of a flight arriving at 2am in LA. If Miami to LA is about a 5 1/2 hour flight, the last flight out would be about 10 or 10:30 and getting in to LAX before 1am. I don't know about then, but now, the last one leaves at 9 and arrives in LA at 11:30.

This is fucking hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 414October 7, 2020 9:05 AM

Well if we give them the benefit of the doubt their flight might not have been direct or it could have been delayed. I took a flight from Miami to LA once with a departure time of 6 pm and we were so delayed we didn't get in until 3 am.

by Anonymousreply 415October 7, 2020 6:42 PM

R414 You're right, that is hilarious, actually

by Anonymousreply 416October 10, 2020 2:22 AM

Even though I've seen all the episodes multiple times, I always notice something new (or that I'd forgotten.) Did you know Rose had a daughter named Jeanella? Surprised the hell out of me.

by Anonymousreply 417October 10, 2020 3:01 AM

Yes, she was born The Day of the Princess Pig. Everyone knows that.

by Anonymousreply 418October 10, 2020 3:20 AM

When the three "girls" moved to The Golden Palace, who bought Blanche's house?

by Anonymousreply 419October 10, 2020 4:28 AM

R419 Honestly, I would have rather watched a series about whoever bought Blanche's house than the atrocious Golden Palace. Seriously, it would have been comforting to still see the house every week. And like, yeah...who lives there now? Let's find out! Great premise.

by Anonymousreply 420October 10, 2020 4:51 AM

probably a Puerto Rican family.

by Anonymousreply 421October 10, 2020 2:07 PM

Hallmark went from the NuKirsten episodes to the 1st episode today... Dorothy says Stan is 65 so how she be in her mid 50s if they went to high school together? Hmmm...

by Anonymousreply 422October 10, 2020 3:09 PM

Why did Dorothy shit on Rose’s bedroom floor?

by Anonymousreply 423October 10, 2020 4:03 PM

Stan wasn't supposed to be in high school with Dorothy, was he?

by Anonymousreply 424October 10, 2020 10:09 PM

R424 Stan wasn't necessarily the same age as Dorothy...but would he have been a full decade older than her? And going to prom with her?? That'd be even way more skeezy than he already is portrayed.

Anyone remember the backstory of how they met? Is there one?

by Anonymousreply 425October 11, 2020 12:52 AM

They were married from 1946-1984. Dorothy was born in 1930.

by Anonymousreply 426October 11, 2020 1:47 AM

R 426 Ok so that right there is an example of how completely "off" these timelines are presented in the show. Oy vey.

by Anonymousreply 427October 11, 2020 1:50 AM

r427

It was the first ep so I can give it some leeway but not 10+ some years

by Anonymousreply 428October 11, 2020 2:15 AM

In the Mr. Gordon episode, Sophia mentions a date in her calendar when she was free from when Shady Pines burned down. Dorothy comments that the calendar is from 1984. The show debuted in 1985. The writers couldn't even get that right.

by Anonymousreply 429October 11, 2020 4:21 AM

[quote]They were married from 1946-1984. Dorothy was born in 1930.

She got married when she was 16? How/when did she attend college?

by Anonymousreply 430October 11, 2020 5:19 AM

DOROTHY WOULD NEVER BE A COMPULSIVE GAMBLER.

by Anonymousreply 431November 3, 2020 2:14 AM

Speaking of prom, did we ever find out what happened to the real Cindy Lou Peeples and Kim Fung Toi? I'd love to know what they thought of Dorothy and Rose stealing their identities.

by Anonymousreply 432November 3, 2020 2:50 AM

R432 That episode was hilarious until Rose collapsed from a heart attack.

by Anonymousreply 433November 3, 2020 8:10 AM

Hogwash, R433!

I am the wolf (boom boom) the big bad wolf (boom boom). Hello.

The one thing that's been in more motel rooms and she still can't get it right.

by Anonymousreply 434November 3, 2020 11:23 AM

How come Dorothy's surname is sometimes pronounced like Zuh-bornak? What IS the actual pronunciation?

by Anonymousreply 435December 24, 2020 10:48 PM

[quote]I also agree that the original actor who played Kate's husband was hot and the 2nd actor was meh.

But the second Dennis had a nice ass on him!

by Anonymousreply 436December 24, 2020 10:53 PM

[quote]Did Rose wax her pussy?

Apparently not, since she is mystified that Blanche shaves 'above the knee.'

So she got a Rose bush.

by Anonymousreply 437December 24, 2020 11:01 PM

[quote]The Golden Palace introduced Tad, Blanche's retarded brother. We'd certainly never heard about him before.

Whose group home was in Chattanooga. Was Blanche visiting him in GG when she was arrested there twice for 1) driving with her shirt off, and 2) greasing up her hands at a party?

by Anonymousreply 438December 24, 2020 11:13 PM

R253 Why does that make it awful writing? Because Sophia isn't presented as a perfect Mary Sue as many female characters are wont to be written nowadays? Flawed characters are more interesting and funny. And in real life, everyone has flaws.

by Anonymousreply 439December 24, 2020 11:22 PM

R277 why is that shocking? It was funny, especially Blanche's reaction.

by Anonymousreply 440December 24, 2020 11:26 PM

Dorothy got pregnant/married as a teenager r430, they were consistent on that. She went to college as a mother, which is fine.

What doesn't make sense is how she had a college roommate!

by Anonymousreply 441December 24, 2020 11:32 PM

r425

Herb Edelman was born in 1933, Bea Arthur was born in 1922

by Anonymousreply 442December 24, 2020 11:53 PM

[quote]The Golden Palace introduced Tad, Blanche's retarded brother. We'd certainly never heard about him before.

Where did they get that idea from?

by Anonymousreply 443December 24, 2020 11:56 PM

[quote]And while I am impressed with the degree of cross-referencing of the minutiae of GG that was lovingly compiled on that thread, the matter of DOROTHY'S EVER-CHANGING PROM STORIES has not been thoroughly examined to my satisfaction.

You want the real story of Dorothy's prom?

Ok, I'll tell you, you anal-retentive, flamin' homo Yutz!

My daughter Dorothy didn't get invited to Prom - she got her looks from her father, what can I say?

But she caught a virus that Spring that caused her to have high fevers.

Night after night, I sat by her bed, bathing her with alcohol, and trying to bring down her fever.

Finally, her fever broker but it affected her short-term memory for that period - she couldn't remember what happened and she couldn't retain memories of that period.

As she recovered, she'd ask me to tell her stories about her Prom, so I told her some stories.

How was I supposed to know we were going to be cross-examined by the big gay Encyclopedia Brown?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444December 25, 2020 12:57 AM

Doesn't Stan fire all his employees when they threaten to unionize at his Xmas party?

by Anonymousreply 445December 26, 2020 10:38 PM

Dorothy gets a buzz from champagne 30 seconds after she drinks it.

by Anonymousreply 446January 3, 2021 3:53 PM

Sophia volunteering Rose to give the eulogy at the funeral of someone she doesn't know. Like they wouldn't have family or friends in mind to give it?

by Anonymousreply 447January 3, 2021 4:01 PM

How in God's name was Rose qualified to be associate producer of Wakeup Miami? She seemed organized and had the essential clipboard, but she was unqualified.

by Anonymousreply 448January 6, 2021 4:02 PM

R444 Incredible. You freaking nailed it. xo

by Anonymousreply 449January 6, 2021 4:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!