The Riddle of Dorothy's Prom" edition.
As the coronavirus saga soldiers on, I have found myself with the time to re-watch all seven seasons of The Golden Girls in the span of about two weeks. The incalculable inconsistencies are so much more glaring when you binge an entire seasons in two days. I googled "Golden Girls inconsistencies" because I was feeling so agitated and confused at how very, very many inconsistencies were allowed to happen on the show. Up popped a Datalounge thread of over 700 posts dating from 2007 to 2009. I have now read every post. And while I am impressed with the degree of cross-referencing of the minutiae of GG that was lovingly compiled on that thread, the matter of DOROTHY'S EVER-CHANGING PROM STORIES has not been thoroughly examined to my satisfaction.
As far as I can tell, these are all the versions of her prom story:
1. Dorothy went to the prom with Stan and WAS impregnated on prom night (she may or may not have been black-out drunk when they had sex).
2. She went to prom with Stan (and helped him tie his tie) but Dorothy did NOT get pregnant that night--she got pregnant during a drive-in movie makeout session. (Here, too, she may or may not have been black-out drunk when they had sex).
3. Dorothy went to the prom with her brother Phil.
4. Dorothy was supposed to go to the prom with badboy John Neuretti, but Sophia turned him away. Dorothy thought she had been stood up, and she stayed home.
5. Dorothy never went to her prom because no one even asked her. This is the butt of a joke on one episode.
BONUS PROM INCONSISTENCIES:
*Dorothy went to the prom in her "tennis whites" because of a practical joke that "her frenemy Trudy played on her.
*Conversely, Dorothy looked so beautiful coming down the stairs on her way to the prom, that Sophia told her it was the most special mother/daughter memory of their lives.
*If she DID go to the prom with Stanley, due to his being defined in an early episode as 65 to Dorothy's mid-50s, (so let's say a 10 year age gap) then Stan would have been 27 or 28 at her senior prom. THERE IS NO WAY IN SICILIAN HELL that Sophia and Sal Petrillo would have let Dorothy go to her senior prom with an almost 30 year old man. He would have been fitted for cement shoes before that would happen.
*Then there are the pregnancy age discrepancies, which would impact all the prom scenarios above. Because if Dorothy truly got "knocked up" while still in high school, then honestly--would she have gone to the prom with Stan? Pregnant? Or even more implausible....as a new mother with milky bosoms??
*Also, surely Johnny Neuretti would not have asked Dorothy to prom if she was already carrying Stan's child, or even weirder, was a nursing teen mother planning a shotgun wedding?
It's all so convoluted and crazy. The creators invented a wonderful series, wrote a strong, compelling character called Dorothy Zbornak, cast Bea Fucking Arthur to brilliantly embody this three-dimensional character so brilliantly. And then they fucked it all up by forcing the viewer out of this deliciously wrought universe every episode as we strain to connect the unconnectable dots of Dorothy's backstory--a backstory that runs strong and deep through every season, and which literally shaped her entire adult life.