Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Holy Fucking Shit! “Who’s the Boss” is coming back!

But Mona was the only reason to watch the show and she dead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205October 6, 2020 5:30 PM

Hooray!

by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2020 10:08 PM

I wonder if they'll work the HIV storyline into the Jonathan Bower character. They could say he got it from a toilet seat or something.

by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2020 10:11 PM

I loved this show when I was a kid. I rarely got to watch it because my dad is a jerk and always watched boring crap like Barney Miller.

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2020 10:14 PM

WEHT that little bitch who played Billy?

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2020 10:15 PM

Why not have the Danny character and his partner have a child, along with Alyssa and her child? Tony becomes the grandfather to both children. Judith pops in for cameos, being her fabulous self. Viola!

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2020 10:33 PM

Will Danny be able to participate?

I understand he is pretty busy with his Tupperware business.

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2020 10:40 PM

As long as it gets Alyssa Milano off Twitter

by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2020 10:43 PM

The part of Mona will be played by Lindsay Lohan, AKA fire crotch.

by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2020 10:43 PM

I'm surprised Mona can't be resurrected with a DNA sample and hologram technology.

by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2020 10:45 PM

Aww, I wanted he and Angela to be married. I hope that they bring her in as his wife, even if she travels often and is just a guest character.

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2020 10:45 PM

Will Danny present hole again?

by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2020 10:46 PM

Somewhere Scott Baio is seething with rage.

by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2020 10:48 PM

[quote]Original cast members Judith Light (Angela) and Danny Pintauro (Jonathan) are supportive of the new series and the hope is to find creative ways to work them and their characters into the show.

Light is never without work, but I'm sure Pinaturo is crossing his fingers to get the call.

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2020 10:48 PM

Fuck this racist unfunny shitbag show. Bring back [italic]Webster[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2020 11:06 PM

This stupid show was nothing but a ripoff of the far superior [italic]Gimme A Break![/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 4, 2020 11:08 PM

So Tony will be the new Mona and Samantha will be the new Angela?

by Anonymousreply 16August 4, 2020 11:09 PM

How would you feel if someone called you a cr@cker?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 4, 2020 11:11 PM

Black sitcoms matter!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 4, 2020 11:11 PM

America is still a racist nation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 4, 2020 11:12 PM

Fuck you Norman Lear you racist hypocrite!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 4, 2020 11:12 PM

Don't you realize you're making fun of black people?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 4, 2020 11:13 PM

[italic]Gimme A Break![/italic] was better and you are a racist, a sexist, an antisemite, a homophobe, and a traitor to the USA if you believe otherwise. Nell Carter was a goddess. Everyone on this rotten show but the now-deceased redhead was and is a no-talent hack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 4, 2020 11:14 PM

CHIEF: You don't take goldfish to the cleaners!

NELL: My people do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 4, 2020 11:15 PM

Could be interesting if done properly. In other words, if they don’t fuck it up.

by Anonymousreply 24August 4, 2020 11:16 PM

They fucked it up the moment they announced it, R24. It sucked then and it sucked now. It is a racist embodiment of the Stupid White Male trope which is just a means of projecting black stereotypes onto whites. I'll take the real deal instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 4, 2020 11:18 PM

I might watch if they bring back Billy Gallo, who played one Samantha's boyfriends. He's still hot and in good shape in his 50's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 4, 2020 11:19 PM

Cancel Norman Lear. Black people don't need him to make classic TV. There are plenty of classic Black sitcoms without Norman Lear's condescending sanctimonies, and this is one of the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 4, 2020 11:19 PM

You will be excommunicated from the gay community if you watch this vile travesty. Watch [italic]Gimme A Break![/italic] instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 4, 2020 11:20 PM

This is why I only watch Black sitcoms and why I hate Norman Lear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 4, 2020 11:22 PM

Patricia Heaton could play Mona. She's old enough now.

by Anonymousreply 30August 4, 2020 11:22 PM

It was only a matter of time. They better stop pretending jonathan is “straight” if they bring him back at all since he looks hideous.

by Anonymousreply 31August 4, 2020 11:23 PM

Fuck Norman Lear. Fuck Bill Cosby. Fuck Miller-Boyett. [italic]Webster[/italic] and [italic]Gimme A Break![/italic] are the best Black sitcoms ever, and they are so much better than this stupid vile travesty. [italic]Webster[/italic] even had two gay actors; both of whom could act but only one is still alive.

[quote] Patricia Heaton could play Mona. She's old enough now.

It's an unplayable part and kind of misogynistic if you ask men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 4, 2020 11:23 PM

No more white propaganda.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 4, 2020 11:25 PM

A few snappy walk-ons could pay for my kitchen remodel!

by Anonymousreply 34August 4, 2020 11:25 PM

Thief! Burglar! Plagiarist! Robber!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 4, 2020 11:26 PM

Norman Lear is a fucking racist and this show is the proof.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 4, 2020 11:26 PM

Nobody from [italic]Gimme A Break![/italic] is responsible for shortening the lifespans of gay men unless it's from dying of laughter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 4, 2020 11:27 PM

The public doesn’t remember this show. It’s as dumb a move as the Murphy Brown reboot. Stop rebooting shit that doesn’t even do well in syndication.

by Anonymousreply 38August 4, 2020 11:28 PM

Lear's own producers and writers did better work without him. Fuck Norman Lear. [italic]Gimme A Break![/ITALIC] was better off without him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 4, 2020 11:28 PM

I never watched this but wasn't his character married to judith light's at the end?

by Anonymousreply 40August 4, 2020 11:29 PM

Fuck this racist shit show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 4, 2020 11:29 PM

Lear is a thief.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 4, 2020 11:30 PM

Val Bertinelli could play Mona.

by Anonymousreply 43August 4, 2020 11:30 PM

Why, R43? Her show held up better if only by default. She was the reason people put up with Bonnie Franklin for 9 years, but I'd rather watch either of them over this.

by Anonymousreply 44August 4, 2020 11:31 PM

[quote]Holy Fucking Shit! “Who’s the Boss” is coming back!

Widely believed to be the cause of the explosion in Beirut.

by Anonymousreply 45August 4, 2020 11:31 PM

Mona was not funny. Jessica Tate was a scream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 4, 2020 11:32 PM

Norman Lear is a disgusting human being whose whole career was built on plagiarism. No, I didn't vote for Trump.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 4, 2020 11:33 PM

Tony Danza's ass was the only reason to watch the show.

by Anonymousreply 48August 4, 2020 11:35 PM

What R13 said. Judith does not need this but Danny is probably hoping it comes through (unless he's moved on and no longer interested in show business).

by Anonymousreply 49August 4, 2020 11:35 PM

Fuck you Norman Lear. You proved Eric Monte was right about you by bringing this racist travesty back. Anyone who watched that but didn't watch [italic]Gimme A Break, Webster, Silver Spoons, Punky Brewster, Benson, 227, Amen, Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere, LA Law, Sesame Street[/italic] and other black/integrated shows that aired concurrently is very much a racist. No, Cosby doesn't count. We only put up with him so we could hear Johnny and Deniece sing the [italic]Family Ties[/italic] theme at 8:30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 4, 2020 11:35 PM

[quote]I loved this show when I was a kid. I rarely got to watch it because my dad is a jerk and always watched boring crap like Barney Miller.

Since they were both on ABC and therefore not opposite each other, why couldn't you watch both?

by Anonymousreply 51August 4, 2020 11:36 PM

I'm sick and tired of the veneration of Norman fucking Lear. Even when it comes to progressive causes, he's a sellout. He never should have partnered with Jerry Perenchio. Bud Yorkin was the funny one. Even [italic]What's Happening!![/italic] holds up better without his meddling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 4, 2020 11:36 PM

The Gimme a Break! troll is half of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 53August 4, 2020 11:37 PM

[italic]Barney Miller[/italic] is a classic and proof that more proof actors of color didn't need Norman Lear to get ahead. So is [italic]WKRP in Cincinnati[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 54August 4, 2020 11:38 PM

[quote] The Gimme a Break! troll is half of this thread.

To remind you what an actually good sitcom looks like, especially when one ripped off the other.

by Anonymousreply 55August 4, 2020 11:38 PM

R53 They are fucking insane. Lear is a God.

by Anonymousreply 56August 4, 2020 11:39 PM

Someone commented that ABC should pick this up and pair it with "The Conners" as a throwback to the '80s/'90s night. A very good idea.

by Anonymousreply 57August 4, 2020 11:39 PM

[italic]Gimme A Break![/italic] is funny. This show is not funny unless you hate Black people so much you would watch crap as long as everyone in it is white.

[quote]gimme a break never even played in my country

Then your country is deprived.

by Anonymousreply 58August 4, 2020 11:40 PM

[quote][R53] They are fucking insane. Lear is a God.

That explains Mike Stivic's atheism.

by Anonymousreply 59August 4, 2020 11:40 PM

Will Tony vacuum the curtains with a Roomba?

Will Bud Wiser be on the crew again?

Maybe Deb Messing can play Mona.

by Anonymousreply 60August 4, 2020 11:41 PM

[quote]Someone commented that ABC should pick this up and pair it with "The Conners" as a throwback to the '80s/'90s night.

The Conners is still on?

by Anonymousreply 61August 4, 2020 11:43 PM

The Norman Lear troll needs some fucking help!

by Anonymousreply 62August 4, 2020 11:43 PM

Maybe we can just keep Hollywood closed down indefinitely, virus or no virus.

Norman Lear is a ripoff artist. Even [italic]Diff'rent Strokes[/italic], which is still better than this wretchedly vile abomination, is a ripoff. Sherwood Schwartz had the same idea as a backdoor pilot on [italic]Brady Bunch[/italic], but Paramount made a mixed-race adoption show without either of them. It flopped. But it still counts. You lose your right to throw shade at [italic]Webster[/italic]. Bring that back instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63August 4, 2020 11:44 PM

Norman Lear needs to be locked up for promoting white supremacy. Everyone who called him a racist was right and I was too blinded by guilt to realize that his critics had a point. This horrible show is proof.

He's a racist for perpetrating this vile trash, and so are you if you watch it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 4, 2020 11:45 PM

R63 Lipstick Alley, hon. that seems to be more your speed.

by Anonymousreply 65August 4, 2020 11:46 PM

Norman Lear is a racist. He's not a God. Nothing he has actually said in public or in those kiss-ass documentaries that skirt over his betrayal of Eric Monte is funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 4, 2020 11:46 PM

I blocked the Gimme a Break lunatic and the thread shrunk down to nothing.

Where do the insane people on this website come from?

by Anonymousreply 67August 4, 2020 11:47 PM

[quote]special needs or just an asshole?

You should know since you are both.

Repeat after me: [italic]Gimme A Break![/italic] is the greatest sitcom ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 4, 2020 11:47 PM

R67: Try starting with the man in the mirror.

Special needs? At least one of the Lawrence brothers proved he could answer to a name not his own. Even Alex Karras could do that. So could Ricky Schroder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 4, 2020 11:48 PM

Black sitcoms matter!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70August 4, 2020 11:49 PM

Fuck your racist plagiaristic ass, Norman Lear. You ripped off Eric Monte, so you don't deserve to still be working in Hollywood and neither do those talentless white hacks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 4, 2020 11:50 PM

Norman Lear seems cool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 4, 2020 11:50 PM

He's a hypocrite and a racist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 4, 2020 11:50 PM

He stole every joke he could get his hands on. Everyone who worked for him did their best work for someone else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 4, 2020 11:51 PM

A documentary on his life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 4, 2020 11:51 PM

A total puff piece that skirts over his true lack of character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 4, 2020 11:51 PM

Eric Monte should get at least a trillion in reparations. So should Nell Carter's estate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 4, 2020 11:52 PM

You stole from a Black show and took the Black people out of it. That's racist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78August 4, 2020 11:53 PM

Nell Carter’s voice ruined Hair! It’s hideous

by Anonymousreply 79August 4, 2020 11:53 PM

Susan Harris got out of the Lear machine while the getting was good. That's why [italic]Soap[/italic] holds up and [italic]Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman[/italic] is a slog to watch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80August 4, 2020 11:54 PM

You're hideous, R79. Nell Carter was and is a goddess. She deserved her Tony and Emmy and deserved several more. And she was not to blame for that [italic]Annie[/italic] revival failing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81August 4, 2020 11:55 PM

Fuck Norman Lear and his lying thieving racist ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82August 4, 2020 11:56 PM

Webmaster, please!

Ban this freak already!

by Anonymousreply 83August 4, 2020 11:56 PM

Ban all discussion of this white supremacist crap!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84August 4, 2020 11:57 PM

Freak is an understatement

by Anonymousreply 85August 4, 2020 11:57 PM

R85's voice is the sound of concentration camp doors closing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86August 4, 2020 11:57 PM

Nell Carter rocks! The only people who hate her are the same tone-deaf racist trash who listen to boy bands and talentless white sluts like Britney Spheres.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87August 4, 2020 11:58 PM

I guess we have a Norman Lear is a racist troll now.

I'm guessing the person that loves "Gimme A Break" more than "Who's The Boss" is because he prefers Joey Lawrence to Tony Danza.

by Anonymousreply 88August 4, 2020 11:59 PM

Norman Lear stole from a Black show and took the Black people out. If you don't think that's racist, then you're a racist, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89August 4, 2020 11:59 PM

I’ll only watch this reboot if they promise to finally reveal who the boss is.

by Anonymousreply 90August 5, 2020 12:00 AM

Why??? Are we that hard up for entertainment now. Growing pains next? Or how about Mr. Belvedere.

by Anonymousreply 91August 5, 2020 12:02 AM

[quote] I'm guessing the person that loves "Gimme A Break" more than "Who's The Boss" is because he prefers Joey Lawrence to Tony Danza.

Nope. I just prefer funny sitcoms to unfunny ones, and honestly I liked the early years better when Sam was a tomboy and Katie was more than just another dumb blonde.

As for the guys. Ricky Schroder won my heart first, and despite his personal beliefs his ancestral homeland got gay marriage first. In current day reruns, though, his daddy makes me feel "that way" these days and their show held up better, too. I'd even rather watch them pull a Roseanne on the Ricker than subject myself to one second of this vile trash.

Seriously, fuck you Norman Lear. I used to dismiss all his haters as reactionaries, but now I think the problem is that he's one himself and he's trying to lampshade it by making opposing characters sanctimonious windbags. In real life, it changed nothing.

by Anonymousreply 92August 5, 2020 12:02 AM

[quote]Or how about Mr. Belvedere.

I actually like that show. I bought the DVDs and it held up much better than I thought.

by Anonymousreply 93August 5, 2020 12:03 AM

Norman Lear sided with Jimmie Walker over John Amos, and that makes him complicit in his homophobia. I actually saw him in concert and he said nothing about homosexuality. I even met him. I tried to reach out just like Sammy Davis Jr. did with Archie Bunker, and it changed nothing.

Danny Pintauro, Chris Colfer, and Sean Hayes are his gay white male equivalents and arguably even more offensive. And their shows were not and are not funny. Bad comedy is bad comedy, and if I don't laugh, then it's just not funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 5, 2020 12:05 AM

And just for this, you will watch the new [italic]Punky Brewster[/italic] and like it. Its creator is another escapee from Lear only to see his creation end up (temporarily) bought out by the same company who bought them out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 5, 2020 12:07 AM

[quote]Growing pains next?

That show was a crusade against comedy. I hate Kirk Cameron just as much as I hate Danny Pintauro because neither one can act. That shows that gays and the enemies of gays can have something in common. I will boycott all white media ever made if they bring back that show.

by Anonymousreply 96August 5, 2020 12:08 AM

This show did to comedy what AIDS did to the gay community. If it had never existed, there would never have been a [italic]Growing Pains[/italic]. If that show had never existed, there would never be a [italic]Full House[/italic]. If that show had never existed, [italic]Friends[/italic] would never have existed. And the world would be a much better place. So would TV. Spare me the "don't like it, don't watch it" crap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97August 5, 2020 12:11 AM

Anyone who finds 1980s-era Joey Lawrence hot is a pedo. Seriously, can't it wait until the [italic]Blossom[/italic] years when he actually turned 18? That show I could honestly take or leave; at least they had Sophia and ALF on.

by Anonymousreply 98August 5, 2020 12:14 AM

I've got tons of missing posts so whoever this troll is I blocked it awhile back. Is it having a manic phase like Matt?

by Anonymousreply 99August 5, 2020 12:16 AM

Boycott Norman Lear. Watch any Black sitcom he had nothing to do with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100August 5, 2020 12:18 AM

They probably think Light is too good for this now, which she is. Like Jean Smart after Designing Women, Light's career after WTB went from strength to strength with Tony Awards and Emmy nominations.

But, at the same time, it wouldn't be the same show without her. The chemistry between Danza and Light was what made the show.

Watching the show again last year, that was the only thing I truly liked. I thought Mona was really mean, Pintauro a horrible actor, Milano is not a gifted comedienne.

by Anonymousreply 101August 5, 2020 12:18 AM

And we are talking manic. I'm missing whole chunks like R92-98.

by Anonymousreply 102August 5, 2020 12:18 AM

I couldn't believe them as a couple for a second.

Jonathan Silverman was cute though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103August 5, 2020 12:19 AM

Except that [italic]Designing Women[/italic] was actually funny. Another show that proved Black actors don't need Norman Liar to succeed in sitcoms. Nothing else I saw Judith Lightweight in impressed me one iota.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 5, 2020 12:21 AM

This stupid show needs to be canceled. If they can go after Ellen DeGeneres for things that are other people's fault, it's time to go after the people who flood our screens with garbage and use that undeserved fame to hurt people.

by Anonymousreply 105August 5, 2020 12:23 AM

#CancelAlyssaSaveEllen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106August 5, 2020 12:25 AM

#CancelAlyssaSaveEllen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107August 5, 2020 12:26 AM

I won't watch it. Can't stand Tony Danza. Love Judith Light though.

Did Miss Helmond have a really bad nose job?

by Anonymousreply 108August 5, 2020 12:27 AM

Nell Carter was talented. Funny and could sing, but “”Gimme a Break “ was garbage. There’s a reason why it doesn’t get played even on the black or mesothelioma channels.

by Anonymousreply 109August 5, 2020 12:27 AM

R91, Only if Mike Seaver gets decapitated in the opening scene of the reboot.

by Anonymousreply 110August 5, 2020 12:27 AM

Jesus, this I-hate-Norman-Lear-but-love-Gimme-a-Break troll makes Janbot almost endearing!

by Anonymousreply 111August 5, 2020 12:27 AM

R109 is projecting the faults of an inferior show onto a superior one. [italic]Gimme A Break![/italic] was not garbage. [italic]Hangin' with Mr Cooper[/italic], now that was garbage. I was embarrassed for Nell in that.

by Anonymousreply 112August 5, 2020 12:28 AM

[quote] Jesus, this I-hate-Norman-Lear-but-love-Gi - mme-a-Break troll makes Janbot almost endearing!

We have Norman Lear to thank for Janbot. Who put her on [italic]Good Times[/italic] when Esther Rolle walked out?

by Anonymousreply 113August 5, 2020 12:29 AM

[quote]There’s a reason why it doesn’t get played even on the black or mesothelioma channels.

Yeah, antisemitism and homophobia.

[italic]Gimme A Break[/italic] was pretty funny up until Dolph Sweet died, but this show shouldn't even be available to rerun at all. It deserves the [italic]Amos 'n' Andy[/italic] treatment more than [italic]Amos 'n' Andy[/italic] did, quite frankly.

by Anonymousreply 114August 5, 2020 12:30 AM

I stand by my opinion that it holds up better than ANY Norman Lear show, especially this horrific ripoff of a much funnier show. Not only should it not be rebooted, but the original series also needs to be destroyed to spare the world any more agony. This crap is why so-called "cancel culture" was invented, why it doesn't go far enough, and why it often attacks the wrong targets in its zeal to do the right thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 5, 2020 12:33 AM

Burn, Lear, burn!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116August 5, 2020 12:33 AM

RIP Dolph Sweet. They were great together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117August 5, 2020 12:34 AM

Just block him folks. It's obvious who it is.

by Anonymousreply 118August 5, 2020 12:35 AM

Norman Lear is a racist, R118, and so are you if you disagree, especially after this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119August 5, 2020 12:36 AM

Who’s The Boss is not a Norman Lear show

by Anonymousreply 120August 5, 2020 12:40 AM

At least with [italic]Punky Brewster[/italic] that didn't run long enough to run into the ground in the first place.

There is no ground to run this show into. It was crap then, it will be crap now, and if you aren't at least a little bit offended by it, then you really are a racist. You too, R120.

by Anonymousreply 121August 5, 2020 12:41 AM

The original premiered in 1984 and was made by Embassy, the company Lear owned. He sold it in 1985. He's an asshole for producing it in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 122August 5, 2020 12:42 AM

Amazing all these troll posts are from a white boy. Matthew on a meth binge?

by Anonymousreply 123August 5, 2020 12:43 AM

Is it Matt “America’s Next Drag Superstar”?

by Anonymousreply 124August 5, 2020 12:44 AM

Norman Lear is still a racist and [italic]Gimme A Break![/italic] is the necessary antidote to that poison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125August 5, 2020 12:46 AM

Girls, girls, girls!

“ Gimme a Break” and “ Who’s the Boss” were both crap show.

by Anonymousreply 126August 5, 2020 12:47 AM

Fuck Norman Lear and his degenerate racist white trash TV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127August 5, 2020 12:47 AM

R126: This from the woman who got famous by cleaning Gary Coleman's toilet?

by Anonymousreply 128August 5, 2020 12:48 AM

Webmaster, PLEASE!

Enough already.

by Anonymousreply 129August 5, 2020 12:49 AM

No, they were not both crap. On balance, despite the bad decisions made in the last two seasons I think [italic]Gimme A Break![/italic] holds up better while this show is racist trash that should be locked up in a vault and never shown again to anyone for any reason.

Yes, Webmaster, please ban any and all discussion this terrible white supremacist ripoff of a Black American classic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130August 5, 2020 12:51 AM

I honestly would rather sit through a reboot of [italic]Love, Sidney[/italic]. Gay was too hot for NBC in 1981 and now it's too old-hat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131August 5, 2020 12:52 AM

An even bigger robbery was committed by ABC the day this show premiered, which happens to be the same day NBC gave the time slot formerly held by Nell's show to a man who raped a lesbian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132August 5, 2020 12:53 AM

Even by the arbitrary, fickle, and hypocritical standards of white shows, this one was crap and inferior to even the worst episodes of [italic]Gimme A Break![/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133August 5, 2020 12:56 AM

Blacks don't need Norman Lear, Miller-Boyett, Sherwood Schwartz, or Bill Cosby to create great TV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134August 5, 2020 12:57 AM

Based on the average DL poster, I'd say this show is an accurate depiction of the effects of carbohydrate poisoning.

Norman Liar sold out to one of the enablers of the obesity epidemic when he sold his studio to Coca-Cola. Not only that, but its founder was an ex-Confederate soldier named John Pemberton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135August 5, 2020 12:59 AM

That's the thing about the 1980s: the good was totally awesome and the bad is so toxic we are still paying for it to this day. Norman Lear has a lot to answer for. He has given work to homophobes, woman-beaters, and people who deliberately set out to spread HIV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136August 5, 2020 1:01 AM

These are the sorts of empty-headed racist trash Lear is pandering to with this crap. He's a stealth Deplorable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137August 5, 2020 1:02 AM

Only on DL would this be the "holy fucking shit" thread with more posts today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138August 5, 2020 1:02 AM

At least they admit that show is fucking shit and a ripoff of a classic Black sitcom:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139August 5, 2020 1:03 AM

[italic]Gimme A Break![/italic] holds up better than those two ABC abominations that ruined Tuesday nights for years, and it holds up much better than [italic]Family Matters[/italic] which got pretty stupid after Telma Hopkins left.

Shows like this vile white supremacist trash whose very name should be illegal to utter in public are stupid from the get-go and just get worse and worse. It's time to stop censoring, shaming, and protesting the work of Black artists and start honoring them. It's racist white trash like this that should not have a public platform to pollute the airwaves with unfunny jokes, false sentiments, and criminally bad acting that makes community theater look like the Royal Shakespeare Company.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140August 5, 2020 1:06 AM

As much as I love Judith Light... she’s too good for a reboot. Hopefully just a guest appearance and then back to Ryan Murphy and Broadway

by Anonymousreply 141August 5, 2020 1:11 AM

Ryan Murphy is a hack. They deserve each other.

by Anonymousreply 142August 5, 2020 1:12 AM

I cant see his posts but I can only assume he's screaming into the void. He had the same meltdown over bedknobs and broomsticks if I recall.

by Anonymousreply 143August 5, 2020 1:13 AM

Only idiots and sheeple think Norman Lear is anything other than a reactionary pretending to be a revolutionary, throwing in the most basic and generic liberal talking points to lampshade his racism, misogyny, and homophobia. He is not good for the Jews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144August 5, 2020 1:13 AM

He's a fucking hypocrite. When people accused [italic]Soap[/italic] of ripping him off, he said "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." Well, I guess that makes him a hypocrite.

[quote]Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman is recognizable as a Norman Lear production in that it too displays plenty of creative "stealing." I repeat my closet scholar accusation, with further specifications: Lear has read Flaubert on received ideas, heard Chekhov's characters talk self-absorbedly past one another in comic-tragic scenes depicting the fatal erosion of a society too removed from the most ordinary truths, applied and even developed Marx's concept of alienation. He's had the nerve to exploit these systematically in a tough mass market not only because he has sensed that this may be where we are at but also because he believes that we have sensed that this may be where we are at: in no-norm's-land. (pp. 157-58)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145August 5, 2020 1:16 AM

My point stands that Lear is a hack, a racist, and a ripoff artist who has been rewarded for it way too long, and that his critics were right both then and now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146August 5, 2020 1:20 AM

Just put his ass on ignore.

by Anonymousreply 147August 5, 2020 1:20 AM

Likewise, do the same to R147 and the other racist white trash polluting this thread with any defenses of this stupid, unfunny, racist, degrading, demeaning, offensive garbage. Yes, you are not only stupid if you watch it but a bad person as well because you're telling Hollywood you approve of crap as long as only white people are in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148August 5, 2020 1:21 AM

You brought retaliatory hatred on yourself, OP and everyone else who fails to recognize what an infinitely superior show [italic]Gimme A Break![/italic] was and is. You are a troll if you do not bow down and worship Nell Carter. Give her a break, fool!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149August 5, 2020 1:27 AM

Never forget, never forgive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150August 5, 2020 1:28 AM

That motherfucker ruined [italic]Taxi[/italic].

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151August 5, 2020 1:28 AM

Norman Lear is a thief

Norman Lear is a racist

Norman Lear is a liar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152August 5, 2020 1:29 AM

Give US a break from stupid, unfunny, white supremacist propaganda designed to project black stereotypes onto whites. This is how the Stupid White Male trope works: take behaviors that are stereotypical of Blacks and have whites reinforce them by performing them themselves. It is disgusting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153August 5, 2020 1:31 AM

Norman Lear is such a thief he doesn't even fucking hide it. The same year GaB! premiered, Archie Bunker got a skinny black maid named Mrs. Canby. Coincidence, I highly doubt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154August 5, 2020 1:34 AM

[italic]All in the Family[/italic] was the most overrated out of all of Lear's shows that he actually worked on. Mike was as sexist as Archie was racist but they still tried to make him look like the good guy, the smart one, the Mary Sue of Social Justice. Even when he accused Gloria of trying to make baby Joey gay through overprotective parenting. Calling him a "meathead" is an insult to meat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155August 5, 2020 1:37 AM

I thought Danza had gone into teaching or something.

by Anonymousreply 156August 5, 2020 1:38 AM

Nobody needs Norman Lear, least of all Black people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157August 5, 2020 1:39 AM

Why not fucking Kate & Ally reboot?!

by Anonymousreply 158August 5, 2020 1:41 AM

Is Ms Light still painting over her soap past these days?

by Anonymousreply 159August 5, 2020 1:41 AM

Norman Lear is no hero. He is no God. He is no deity. He is no prophet. He is a sanctimonious hack who set progressive causes back a generation or more. Think about it. If Ronald Reagan still got elected in 1980 after nearly a decade of being subjected to his shows, then he is partly to blame for that state of affairs.

He changed nothing except to make a bad situation worse. He has picked at the scabs of racial healing and sold us the flimsy and uncomfortable bandages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160August 5, 2020 1:42 AM

[quote] Why not fucking Kate & Ally reboot?!

That was a good show but I don't know how they would make it work today unless they ditch the last-season husband and just have the two of the living with respective kids and grandkids. Would Jane and Susan even do it?

That and [italic]Gimme A Break![/italic] had the same producers, and I think the rights are currently held by multiple companies. Universal has the syndication rights in North America, but FremantleMedia owns the actual copyrights.

by Anonymousreply 161August 5, 2020 1:43 AM

Tony’s former bubble butt is old and saggy now. Who would want to watch this.

by Anonymousreply 162August 5, 2020 1:45 AM

Anyone else wanna bet the exhausting Gimme a Break troll is also the Janet Jackson troll?

by Anonymousreply 163August 5, 2020 1:45 AM

Judith light was never attractive enough to land all those guys she got in the soap.

by Anonymousreply 164August 5, 2020 1:46 AM

R162: He was nothing special even in the 1980s and his ugly face and moronic demeanor was a total turnoff. I bet his nuts were shrunken by steroid abuse. Now Gregory Harrison is a man I'd move Heaven and Earth to watch walk out of the shower any week.

[quote] Anyone else wanna bet the exhausting Gimme a Break troll is also the Janet Jackson troll?

You would lose. I merely tolerate Janet's music but I wouldn't go to bat for her the way Janbot did. I preferred Whitney Houston and even more so her cousin who is a fixture of these threads when they choose to be funny and charming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165August 5, 2020 1:48 AM

It's matt. Dont know if he's Janbot because I've never been interested enough in JJ to read those threads.

by Anonymousreply 166August 5, 2020 1:48 AM

[quote]Who would want to watch this.

I would.

by Anonymousreply 167August 5, 2020 1:50 AM

Is Tony a Deplorable? If he is, I wont be watching, even tho I like Alyssa Milano

by Anonymousreply 168August 5, 2020 1:52 AM

When Johnny Carson asked Emmanuel Lewis what his favorite shows on TV were, guess what the first show and only show with Black actors on it…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169August 5, 2020 1:54 AM

I don’t mind if Who’s the Boss comes back but if they bring back episodes of Blossom the Menopause years , I will never watch tv again .

by Anonymousreply 170August 5, 2020 2:10 AM

The troll is a mess! Hi Matt!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171August 5, 2020 2:16 AM

Never a huge fan of "Who's the Boss." No couple chemistry between Tony Danza and Judith Light. More like friends chemistry.

Why are a few people being mean about Danny Pintauro? What did he ever do wrong?

Christina Hendricks could play Mona. Surprised I'm the first to mention this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172August 5, 2020 2:22 AM

For the people suggesting Val Bertinelli or Christina Hendricks as Mona -- wasn't that character supposed to be Judith Light's mother? If so, I think they'd both be a little young to pull that one off.

by Anonymousreply 173August 5, 2020 5:15 AM

Almost seems like some people think this is a pure remake of the original series R173 and not just a reboot with the existing cast.

by Anonymousreply 174August 5, 2020 5:28 AM

Roseanne is Mona . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175August 5, 2020 5:36 AM

Cloris Leachman as Mona.

by Anonymousreply 176August 5, 2020 5:43 AM

R101 I agree with you.

I recently watched Taxi, which made me interested in seeing more of Danza's butt. I couldn't find WTB streaming anywhere, or in syndication.

I would only check it out if Light is involved. I don't see how you could bring these characters back and have it be watchable, though.

by Anonymousreply 177August 5, 2020 6:29 AM

R177, I believe it's Decades TV that will begin airing 'Who's the Boss?' in the fall. It's one of the retro channels.

by Anonymousreply 178August 5, 2020 7:07 AM

Alyssa Milano is almost 50...a little long in the tooth to be the mother of a young child.

by Anonymousreply 179August 5, 2020 7:20 AM

Maybe she'll be the mother of a hot 20 something guy R179

by Anonymousreply 180August 5, 2020 1:41 PM

Alyssa Milano has tested positive for Covid!

by Anonymousreply 181August 7, 2020 1:56 AM

She is on CNN right now with Chris Cuomo.

by Anonymousreply 182August 7, 2020 1:57 AM

R181: At least she won't be the only one on this show spreading disease.

by Anonymousreply 183August 7, 2020 1:57 AM

Alyssa’s teeth have their own SAG card.

by Anonymousreply 184August 7, 2020 2:07 AM

What about the ones in her mouth, R184?

by Anonymousreply 185August 7, 2020 2:10 AM

Who’s the new Boss?

by Anonymousreply 186August 7, 2020 2:15 AM

R186: Does this answer your question?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187August 7, 2020 2:18 AM

Even the name of the show is problematic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188August 7, 2020 2:19 AM

I’d only watch if they bring back Samantha’s dumb fat friend Julia and also her grungy Brooklyn friend from the living dolls episode.. I am sure Leah Remini is available.

by Anonymousreply 189August 8, 2020 7:16 PM

Gimme A Break was one of the worst sitcoms ever made.

by Anonymousreply 190August 8, 2020 7:23 PM

No, it was not. Stop projecting, R190. This, however, was and is one of the worst TV shows of any era or genre. Bad acting, bad writing, bad theme song, just plain terrible on every level. Completely indefensible. The only actor on the show who is good in anything else is now dead. Let this horrible show die with her.

by Anonymousreply 191August 8, 2020 8:02 PM

R191 Sure Janimiquisha ! you are bullshit, Judith Light is good in anything.

by Anonymousreply 192August 8, 2020 8:11 PM

Now I know you’re a fucking racist.

by Anonymousreply 193August 8, 2020 8:14 PM

Stop teasing Matt R190/192.

by Anonymousreply 194August 8, 2020 8:16 PM

She is one of the most overrated actresses who has ever lived. Nothing else I saw her in convinced me that she had any aptitude for comedy. I have seen better acting from actresses who stayed in soap operas. And the fact that she took part in that terrible Jeffrey Tambor show on Scamazon Slime means she is now responsible for two of the worst TV shows ever.

by Anonymousreply 195August 8, 2020 8:16 PM

I'm not Matt, but I disliked Gimme A Break. It was just terrible all the way around.

Nell Carter was truly talented, as anyone who ever saw her performing live knows, but that show.....hoo boy.

by Anonymousreply 196August 9, 2020 12:17 AM

R196 still flies a Confederate flag.

by Anonymousreply 197August 9, 2020 12:42 AM

Anyone want to bet R163’s grandparents have been in South America since 1946?

by Anonymousreply 198August 9, 2020 12:43 AM

The Fonz and Tony Danza are who convinced me that I was actually a man trapped in a woman's body, just as Danny Pintauro is actually a woman trapped in a man's body.

by Anonymousreply 199October 1, 2020 5:57 AM

So, Qanon likes Gimmie a Break? Is that what we are to glean, here?

by Anonymousreply 200October 1, 2020 7:28 AM

When Dolph Sweet died, it threw the show's balance off. It could have improved had he lived, but the writers must have been on cocaine binges or something because it got worse and worse.

by Anonymousreply 201October 6, 2020 1:46 PM

R201= Ellen

by Anonymousreply 202October 6, 2020 2:51 PM

They’re re-running the series on Antenna TV and yesterday were the first two episodes. Watching them just reminded me what a wonderful behind Tony Danza had. It was a nice mixture of a bubble ass and a muscular ass, and they kept him in tight pants to show it off.

by Anonymousreply 203October 6, 2020 2:57 PM

Without Katherine Helmond I won’t watch. She was perfect in Soap and this.

by Anonymousreply 204October 6, 2020 3:06 PM

I never missed WTB during its original run. Probably wouldn't sit through it now, though.

by Anonymousreply 205October 6, 2020 5:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!