Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did You Play With Dolls As A Child?

I would braid my sister's doll's hair when they showed me how to do the 3-way braid.

Did your parents tell you to stop?

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2020 9:39 PM

Yes, I had Raggedy Ann and Andy, Käthe Kruse boy doll, 2 Vinyl Hummel dolls, and a German doll with a wooden head. If you count as a doll, I had the Gund Pinocchio and Jimminy Cricket. Most of my toys came from FAO Schwarz. I also had the City Mouse/Country Mouse set, the mouse ballet studio and playground, a tree house with Steiff bears, and a Herman bear with a wardrobe in a suitcase

by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2020 7:39 PM

I liked the doll accessories more than the dolls. I loved Jamie Sommer’s mission purse. My sister played with the doll and I played with the make up, money etc in the purse. Same with the Barbie townhouse. My sister played with the dolls, I played with the townhouse accessories.

Stuffed animals on the other hand...I still have my stuffed panda bear. Love it! Perfect size for hugging.

by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2020 7:39 PM

I had a G.I. Joe, the only toy of that sort my parents would let me have.

He used to go AWOL with Ken when Barbie wasn't looking.

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2020 7:44 PM

Yes, but it was okay because I am a female. However my younger brother played with me.

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2020 7:55 PM

My sister had a Barbie that the head would fall off easily. She also had the Barbie car. I would put the Barbie in the car and push it hard so it ran into the wall and I'd watch the head fly off. That was the extent of my playing with dolls.

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2020 7:59 PM

The dolls played with me and I still can't stop them. Please, please help.

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2020 8:19 PM

My parents had only boys, so there were no dolls in the house to play with. Who knows, if they were around I might have. I liked trucks and matchbox cars and liked making them crash into each other.

by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2020 8:26 PM

Yes - tried repeatedly to play with my sisters Barbies. I was given the message loud and clear - in a non-specific way - that this was a sign I was gay. I understood it at the age of 4. That’s why I don’t understand these guys who don’t realize they are gay until their in their 20s. Seems really clueless.

I was very good at picking up nonverbal judgment - and correcting /avoiding that behavior. Starting with paying with dolls. Allowed me to “pass” all through childhood and teens. I never had anyone accuse me of being gay and mastered the act of straightness. Took a lot of unlearning in my 20s to allow me to express my gay self. Which is why I didn’t like being referred to as a straight -acting gay - pained me to hear because it reminded me how much of my gay self I sacrificed as a kid out of fear and have tried my whole adult life to counteract.

by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2020 8:47 PM

I was obsessed with She-Ra. My mother bought me a few dolls. I don’t know if she found it odd since it was all tied into He-Man.

by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2020 8:51 PM

I did but mostly played with Kens and GI Joes in Barbie's Dream House and car. That bitch had a killer house. Had no real interest in Barbie herself or the hair/fashion side of it. I was just mad she had a better house (and that pool!) than my GI Joes. I did want Jem action figures (not dolls, dad!) but was told no.

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2020 8:52 PM

R10: Yes! The accessories were so much cooler than the actual dolls. Same with the play kitchen and all the play foods/dishes until I could help ma in the real kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2020 9:14 PM

I had to play Barbies in secret.

by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2020 9:17 PM

I want my dolls!!

So many dolls. Big dolls, small dolls, old dolls, new dolls. I played alone, I played with friends. My Doll World was a very exciting place to be.

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2020 9:19 PM

Kitty Carryall thayth you queenth are weird. She altho wantth you to vote for Donald Trump thith year.

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2020 9:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!