Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends, what do you think of this Las Vegas bunker, disguised as a home? Only $18 million.

Only about two miles from the Las Vegas strip, an ordinary-looking house sits on top of a 15,000-square-foot bomb shelter. The massive doomsday bunker is listed for $18 million, including a 5,000-square-foot home furnished in full 1970s style, plus murals throughout.

Realtor Stephan LaForge told Business Insider that the real draw of the listing is the massive underground property, though the I-beams and underground features are harder to represent in photos than the house's interior. LaForge told Realtor.com that the price reflects the impossibility of creating a structure like this today. It last sold for $1.15 million in 2015.

The house itself is a unique draw and has become somewhat famous. It has five bedrooms, six bathrooms, and a pool, plus a small guesthouse that sits aboveground. It was built in 1978 as a bomb shelter, although it isn't actually protective against a nuclear disaster. Current owners, the Society for the Preservation of Near Extinct Species, added period-appropriate furniture and other improvements that might make the house more livable to potential buyers.

3970 Spencer Street is listed with Stephan LaForge with Berkshire Hathaway Nevada Properties.

From the outside, only the small townhouse is visible.

The underground house is accessible through a staircase from the lower level.

It isn't easily mistaken for the real thing, but the lighting does create day and night effects.

Inside, the home is filled with '70s furniture.

All furniture is included in the price of the house.

The house is actually cooled by eight air conditioning units installed by a previous owner, which ensure good air circulation underground.

It also has more recent additions of repeaters for cell phone reception and Internet.

Lighting changes based on the time of day.

The outdoor-themed area has a six-foot-deep pool and two hot tubs...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 28, 2021 3:40 PM

This is really neat but who or what organization would pay $18 million for it?

by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2020 7:06 PM

Been there, done that...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2020 7:07 PM

I wish I had the money, R1.

I would buy it in one second.

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2020 7:11 PM

[quote]From the outside, only the small townhouse is visible.

I don't think this person knows what a townhouse is.

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2020 7:52 PM

That's just what I thought, R4.

That house is a McMansion, not a little shack.

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2020 7:54 PM

What Josef Fritzl would buy if he had the money.

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2020 8:39 PM

That looks so much like the "underground bunker" that was featured in an episode of the original CSI, which is set in Las Vegas. I wonder whether the TV episode was filmed there or whether one inspired the other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2020 8:51 PM

It's interesting, but I can't imagine who would spend that kind of money and why. A place to lock down with a couple dozen of your closest friends for a nonstop Covid quarantine party/orgy? A filming location for a Big Brother - type reality show?

by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2020 11:17 PM

"It was built in 1978 as a bomb shelter, although it isn't actually protective against a nuclear disaster."

What?

So it's just a trippy house then? Or did it deteriorate over the years and is no longer up to snuff?

If it had been meant to live in while everyone outside was busy dropping dead, where did they source water from? How did they purify the air?

No hydroponic gardens? Those were a thing in the 70s.

Am I the only one who didn't find that kitchen "classic 70s"?

Some of the wood pieces and stonework are lovely. However, those murals would cause me to run screaming out the hatch before the third day.

by Anonymousreply 9August 5, 2020 12:34 AM

It would need giant steel doors at the entrance of the bunker, to prove at all useful.

Otherwise, anyone can break in and get to you and your luxury.

by Anonymousreply 10August 5, 2020 12:41 AM

The home is now priced at $5.9 million. I toured the home in 2013 and it's hard to say how much it's actually worth. Based on the location, square footage, and kitsch value, I'd say maybe $2.5 at the most.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 28, 2021 11:40 AM

It’s hideous.

by Anonymousreply 12February 28, 2021 11:51 AM

So it’s just a large tacky basement. Not a real shelter. Pass.

by Anonymousreply 13February 28, 2021 11:59 AM

Perfect for a rich, paranoid Nazi-republican

"when you're all done with your civil war I'll come back up and rule the ashes"

by Anonymousreply 14February 28, 2021 11:59 AM

R11 here...I forgot to add that the real estate agent who gave us the tour was a Black gentleman about the size of Gary Coleman. It's irrelevant to the ridiculousness of the house, but I recall thinking, "Of course he's the real estate agent." He was running around the whole time telling us not to touch this or that...it was a group tour of about 50 of us, so he had his work cut out for him.

by Anonymousreply 15February 28, 2021 12:09 PM

[quote] Based on the location, square footage, and kitsch value, I'd say maybe $2.5 at the most.

You're being very generous, R11. That is a very sketchy area of Las Vegas. The average price of homes around there is under %400K.

by Anonymousreply 16February 28, 2021 12:39 PM

R16, do you live in Vegas? I do, and that area is far from "very sketchy." Sure, it's not the best, but it's quite far from the worst.

by Anonymousreply 17February 28, 2021 1:05 PM

Everything's fine -- until the electricity goes out.

by Anonymousreply 18February 28, 2021 1:12 PM

It’s within staggering distance of The Garage, which is all I need to know, Let me run down to the Quickie Mart and get a money order for the earnest.

by Anonymousreply 19February 28, 2021 2:30 PM

Does it come with plastic squirrels, like an episode of Twilight Zone?

by Anonymousreply 20February 28, 2021 3:15 PM

Was this used for that movie with that formerly cute guy Brendon Something or was it just the inspiration?

I think it's cool.

by Anonymousreply 21February 28, 2021 3:35 PM

This place is totally creepy. I can't imagine being so desperately clinging to life that you would bury yourself 26 feet underground only to re-emerge to find there's nothing left to live for. It truly is an episode of Twilight Zone

by Anonymousreply 22February 28, 2021 3:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!