Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Men age better than women. Do I think that because I'm homo?

Please don't post pictures of scary plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 48August 21, 2020 7:26 PM

I agree unless the men drink a lot, smoke and go out in the sun unprotected.

by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2020 2:25 PM

Some men age better. Some women age better.

by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2020 2:26 PM

It's pretty even around here. If you aren't fat by age 40, you're in the top 10% of men or women.

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2020 2:27 PM

It's Mother Nature. Women are the most attractive and fertile until they're 28. Men don't hit their peak until 30-50, then it tapers off from there.

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2020 2:57 PM

Yes and no.

Men have an advantage in that a man who keeps his fit or average or lean build don't have to do too much more other than wear respectable enough clothes and update the haircut that pulled in the prom dates when they were in high school. If they do those things, they in most cases advance to something acceptably near handsome. Maybe they were not considered good looking at 25 or 35, but at 55 the same guy with graying hair can through on a blue blazer and a white button-down and suddenly he's a catch.

Many women work harder att their looks throughout lives, makeup, occasion and season appropriate clothing, hair styles, jewelry, shoes.... There's just more going on and the woman who holds onto her figure often has to update her look as she ages: simpler makeup, different cuts of clothes, flatter shoes, chunkier yet simpler jewelry, different hair styles (long starts to look old-hippie-ish or witchy; Midwestern mortgage lender mom asymmetrical bobs made with garden shears don't look good at 35 or 45 and look bad at 65; some women fuss for years trying to find a mature hairstyle that suits them.)

In short men get a free ride for not being a fat disgusting slob AND old, whereas women with a different scoring system.

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2020 2:59 PM

*whereas women operate under a different scoring system.

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2020 3:00 PM

Men are give much more leeway in the looks department as they age. Wrinkles and sags are seen to add character in men's faces, but not in women's.

A man can be bald and wrinkled but as long as he's slim he can still be considered attractive and desirable. Even an overweight man can pass if he has a full head of hair.

Women are not allowed to age naturally and must disguise the process as much as possible. If they don't, they're automatically dismissed in the looks department.

by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2020 3:12 PM

Men's skin is thicker than women's. Like literally. Now, I wonder why white people age worse than everyone else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2020 3:17 PM

Yes women sag in all sorts of places after about 27. Today, they just let it all hang out and no one is supposed to say anything. They don’t even know what foundation garments are anymore. They don’t wear brassieres or hosiery and I doubt any under 70 has ever seen a girdle. The pregnant ones don’t even wear maternity clothes anymore. It’s disgusting.

My mother told me she never let my father see her without makeup in 40 years of marriage. That’s commitment.

by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2020 3:26 PM

Generally, women age better than men. Just look actresses: Susan Sarandon looks a good two decades younger than her age, i can't think of an equivalent male actor. Would you really say that Johnny Depp and DiCaprio are aging well?

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2020 4:00 PM

Women put more effort into their appearance and fitness, which pays off after the mid 30s, and the average 45 year old man is much less attractive than the average 45 year old woman. Plastic surgery techniques are also more focused on female faces, so women have an extra advantage that men lack. That's why old men who've had a lot of work done start looking like aged lesbians while women can come out looking like Christie Brinkley.

However, men have the overall advantage because they can amass wealth and are still capable of fathering children into old age, which can sometimes makes an attractive proposition to a young floozy, but it isn't based on looks unless he's one of the few old men who are amazingly well kept (think Brad Pitt, who really isn't the norm, even among celebrities).

by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2020 4:58 PM

Shaving the face also has a daily exfoliating and tautening effect, along with men having thicker facial skin. So that has helped them stave off aging more for years. Women have caught on to this and facial epilating is now a thing for them, too.

Also, men don't have to worry about child bearing ruining their bodies like women do. Some women just don't bounce back after pregnancy- the hormones are shot and the body gets used to being larger. The lucky ones do; many do not.

by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2020 5:06 PM

Robin Wright - hot

Sean Penn - not

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2020 5:08 PM

R10 Leo is still hot, even hotter.

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2020 5:58 PM

Shouldn't men wear makeup more?

by Anonymousreply 15August 4, 2020 9:25 PM

R14: Helen Keller?

by Anonymousreply 16August 4, 2020 9:54 PM

DiCaprio has a face like a boiled potato, always has had.

by Anonymousreply 17August 4, 2020 9:58 PM

[quote] Men don't hit their peak until 30-50, then it tapers off from there.

Sure. That's why 50-year-olds are more popular on Grindr than 20-year-olds.

by Anonymousreply 18August 4, 2020 10:06 PM

Leo hasn’t been cute since he was a young teen. I’m around the same age as him and by the time Titanic cane out he had lost his looks

by Anonymousreply 19August 4, 2020 10:54 PM

We will know that women have achieved true social equality, when their physical signs of aging are called "distinguished".

by Anonymousreply 20August 4, 2020 10:56 PM

We will know that women have achieved true social equality, when their physical signs of aging are called "distinguished".

by Anonymousreply 21August 4, 2020 10:56 PM

25 years ago:

Robin Wright - hot

Sean Penn - not

Nothing's changed.

by Anonymousreply 22August 4, 2020 11:03 PM

R18, 20 y/o guys are disposable dumb fucks to gay men and hetero women. Grindr dictates the value of men? OK.

The 50 y/o guy has more value to society. He has experience, money, power and is still good looking. 50 y/o women don't have the same value.

by Anonymousreply 23August 5, 2020 2:16 AM

No, OP, you think that because you're sexist.

by Anonymousreply 24August 5, 2020 4:06 AM

Bullshit, women look better than men when they age. Especially if she never had kids and is single. Women wear sunscreen and take care of their skin. They eat better than men (so many men hate vegetables), and have MUCH better hair. Men after age 50 are butt ugly.

by Anonymousreply 25August 5, 2020 4:17 AM

I think men age better than women for the most part - BUT why is it every straight man over 50 that I meet lives in Bermuda shorts, tank tops, flip flops and a baseball cap - and these guys Still hit on pretty women who are 20 years younger!!

by Anonymousreply 26August 5, 2020 4:23 AM

That's very true R23, gay men are queuing up to date gay men in their 50s. They're the new sex objects.

by Anonymousreply 27August 5, 2020 5:00 AM

Im a man and I think it's a tie. It mostly rests on your genetics. A lot of men hit the wall once 40 closes in. If you aren't working out or maintaining a strict diet getting closer to 40, you WILL get "dad-bod" and it doesnt look good on every man.

Women hit the wall too, but they have many more resources to make themselves appear younger. Good makeup, changing hairstyle, dressing for their body type, can take years off a woman's appearance.

by Anonymousreply 28August 5, 2020 5:21 AM

From my observations, for the most part men age more gradually while women look basically the same until late middle-age and then suddenly look ancient. For example, most 60 year old men look their age, while many 60 year old women either look 40 or 80.

by Anonymousreply 29August 5, 2020 5:28 AM

The gender that ages best is money. Or rather, those men and women who have a higher disposable income to spend on treatments, surgery, skin care, etc. After around age 40, if you have the money to spend, you can still look pretty good for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 30August 5, 2020 5:33 AM

"Good makeup, changing hairstyle, dressing for their body type, can take years off a woman's appearance. "

And hair dye! It's socially acceptable for women to subtly or blatantly dye their hair, men who dye their hair to look younger are considered pathetic.

Seriously, if the face is holding out okay, dying the hair a naturalistic color can take a decade or more off a woman's apparent age. And it's just not an option for men, except those who are so femme they're practically honorary women.

by Anonymousreply 31August 5, 2020 3:58 PM

I need to get my nasolabial folds. Anyone had it done? Happy?

by Anonymousreply 32August 5, 2020 5:24 PM

In the better neighborhoods around here, I frequently have the experience of seeing a couple where I think the man is out with his much younger second wife. I see a fit silver daddy walking with a woman who looks much younger... until I get close, and realize the woman is about the same age as the man, and has just put a fuck-ton of effort into looking young. Dyed hair, makeup, maybe plastic surgery, clothes suitable for a college girl, etc.

Men just don't fight visible aging the way women do, at least, they don't outside of the LA Basin.

by Anonymousreply 33August 5, 2020 9:53 PM

Do beards age or not if you are thirty plus.

by Anonymousreply 34August 21, 2020 7:38 AM

gray beard? shave it off!

by Anonymousreply 35August 21, 2020 7:49 AM

Women’s hormones stop and their womb shrivels up and their bodies go to seed. Men remain fertile and strong.

by Anonymousreply 36August 21, 2020 7:54 AM

Somebody already mentioned it. But childbirth is a killer. Especially when women have them later in life. I remember hearing that bearing children takes years off your life only does negative things to your body.

And the money comment was dead on. Money does allow for you to take better care of yourself. But having money makes you more attractive to potential partners. Just ask colinboy.

by Anonymousreply 37August 21, 2020 8:02 AM

I used to think so until I saw Jane and Peter Fonda. I think it just depends on genetics and how well you take care of yourself.

by Anonymousreply 38August 21, 2020 8:12 AM

What R2 said. Some people get wrinkly at 30 and some hardly get any. It has to do with skin type. I’ve noticed smokers ages more quickly. My younger sister looks older than me.

by Anonymousreply 39August 21, 2020 8:40 AM

Person with naso labial folds - just smile all the time and it won't be noticed. Plus you will make friends.

by Anonymousreply 40August 21, 2020 9:27 AM

It is a variety of factors and gender is not one of them.

by Anonymousreply 41August 21, 2020 9:36 AM

May be because, absent male same sex relationships, men don't have to live with men.

by Anonymousreply 42August 21, 2020 3:48 PM

They do.

by Anonymousreply 43August 21, 2020 4:05 PM

Man miss hunting.

by Anonymousreply 44August 21, 2020 4:07 PM

R36 True, but there are synthetic hormone treatments for the vag and skin that can help keep the estrogen decline from wreaking totally havoc. These products are expensive and again, usually only available for those with money and access to top health care professionals.

by Anonymousreply 45August 21, 2020 7:15 PM

The bar is lower for men.

by Anonymousreply 46August 21, 2020 7:18 PM

R45 wouldn’t taking the pill just help?

by Anonymousreply 47August 21, 2020 7:21 PM

R47 I think the amount of estrogen in the pill is too high post menopause and comes with increased risks of blood clots.

by Anonymousreply 48August 21, 2020 7:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!