Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

White Claw

The frau-iest of drinks! It's the new Zima. Guys who drink it are totally without testosterone.

by Anonymousreply 31August 4, 2020 5:22 PM

The Marines I worked with until recently would like to have a word with you.

by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2020 12:09 PM

R1 - those Marines are pussies if they drink that crap

by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2020 12:12 PM

What is it OP?

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2020 12:20 PM

Zima was huge circa 1994, and then it went away. It was sticky sweet as I remember it. I haven’t tried these new fangled seltzer drinks. Seagrams Winnie coolers were my introduction to alcohol. Those things were delicious.

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2020 12:46 PM

R4 It's wet and it's dry. My, my, my, my...

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2020 12:55 PM

That's all the douchebros drink around here.

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2020 1:02 PM

I thought they would be good as a mixer with vodka (I tried the lemon lime kind) but they were not! Way too malty. On their own they were fine despite the low ABV and malty taste. Like most bad drinks they were much better by the third one.

by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2020 1:09 PM

Never heard of the stuff.

by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2020 2:44 PM

I wouldn't admit that in public

by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2020 2:47 PM

And again Datalounge's Eldergays discover a trend several years after it actually happens....

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2020 2:51 PM

You're welcome OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2020 2:54 PM

I guess it's too hard for millenials to make a vodka soda? White Claw is nasty, overpriced, malt based alcohol. In terms of sophistication, it's the modern day equivalent of wine coolers.

by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2020 2:59 PM

But it's low carb, brah!

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2020 3:01 PM

But it has zero carbs and some people want that when it comes to booze. Also only 100 cals.

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2020 3:01 PM

[quote]Never heard of the stuff.

Let's say then that it hasn't conquered much of Europe.

by Anonymousreply 15August 4, 2020 3:03 PM

I haven't tried one, but the idea of a portable serving for a ready-made cocktail is nice. Think beaches, picnics, boats, and the like. I've come to enjoy some sparkling white wines in slender cans.... not everyone likes wine, so this is another choice.

When I mentioned "canned wine" to a wino friend of mine, she asked if that was one step above wine-in-a-box... I suppose some people are not pleased by either of these.

by Anonymousreply 16August 4, 2020 3:06 PM

I've had canned gin and tonic. It wasn't good: tasted tinny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 4, 2020 3:08 PM

I think the name sounds cool.

by Anonymousreply 18August 4, 2020 3:11 PM

Well, r17, it [italic]is[/italic] Gordon's.

by Anonymousreply 19August 4, 2020 3:11 PM

It’s malt liquor.

by Anonymousreply 20August 4, 2020 3:48 PM

I prefer Truly, but White Claw are also good. Low carb and 100 calories. Seltzers are the thing here in So CA and have been for at least a year and a half. Also a predictable 5% ABV and no one has to handle anything.

by Anonymousreply 21August 4, 2020 3:52 PM

I don't understand buying Hard Seltzers when you can just add vodka to sparkling water - or even better, have a Gin Ricky.

by Anonymousreply 22August 4, 2020 3:54 PM

Gun bros love them some White Claw. It's a meme at this point.

by Anonymousreply 23August 4, 2020 3:55 PM

Don't hate me but I like High Noon but only the Red Grapefruit flavor.

For R16, see link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 4, 2020 4:13 PM

We hate you R24 for your link which leads ... to nowhere that is relevant.

by Anonymousreply 25August 4, 2020 4:16 PM

White Claw is the Zima of a new generation. But it's not malt liquor as R12 says. It's fermented pure (cane) sucrose sugar. The people who wanted to make and sell this stuff had to beg the TTB to be permitted to do so, because early wine coolers and spiked beverages had problems leading to them being required to be made with only malt alcohol, so as to keep the alcohol percentage down. Do you remember the early 2000s when those various "ice" beverages were advertising their quite high percentages of alcohol on the front label?

The permission was granted to make and sell these so long as the manufacturers keep the alcohol percentage low. There are a few varieties on the market made with malt liquor now, so people allergic to grains must read labels again to be sure they buy what they need.

The zero carbs is also marketing speak. The calories come from alcohol, which is a special type of carbohydrate with 7 kcal per gram, rather than sugar's 4 kcal/g. They have fewer calories than many alcoholic beverages but they also contain the same percentage of alcohol as beer, and are served in smaller containers than beer. Fewer calories because less amount per can. I suspect many fans are drinking a six-pack of these at a sitting.

A vodka or gin and (unsweetened) soda made with a full jigger 1.5 oz 45 ml booze would be about the same # of calories, with a small bit more alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 26August 4, 2020 4:45 PM

[quote] The Marines I worked with until recently would like to have a word with you.

[quote] That's all the douchebros drink around here.

Why are the Marines and douchbros so desperate for this stuff?

by Anonymousreply 27August 4, 2020 4:51 PM

R24 Cheers, and thanks Cosmo... they look good.

by Anonymousreply 28August 4, 2020 4:57 PM

r26 Yes, a vodka club soda would have fewer calories, contain more alcohol and be much less expensive, even using a higher quality vodka. A vodka soda would lack the nasty artificial fruit flavors these hard seltzers have.

by Anonymousreply 29August 4, 2020 5:04 PM

Marines are a bunch of little homosexual boys.

by Anonymousreply 30August 4, 2020 5:20 PM

R18 loves BRAAAAAAANDS!

by Anonymousreply 31August 4, 2020 5:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!