Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tell me about the mechanics of coming into contact with the Corona virus out-of-doors.

When I was out walking earlier this morning( my timing was impeccable, buckets of rain), I was wondering if certain weather conditions affected coming into contact with the Corona virus. Does rain wash some/all/none of it to the ground and eventually into sewers, storm drains, ditches, etc.? Will a strong wind blow more or fewer virus particles my way? What sort of a wake(like a ship or airplane creates), possibly chockfull of microbes, do passers-by make as come abreast and eventually walk in front of me? Does atmospheric pressure enter into this at all? And what about snow?

I'm asking for meteorologists, virologists, geographers, epidemiologists, public health and safety people et al. to chime in. Armchair types of the above professions are welcome also.

by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2020 11:52 AM

The chance of catching the coronavirus outdoors is fairly low. A japanese group found that indoor transmission was roughly 20x more likely than outdoor transmission. A chinese study of 7000 transmissions found there was one instance where they think transmission occured outdoors.

It transmits as an airborne virus, having a breeze that blows it away and prevents high concentrations of virus from clustering in the air makes a big difference. The virus is also sensitive to UV rays and starts dying in the sunlight.

by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2020 11:50 AM

Here is a good article from July 13th about the virus spread in outdoor situations. It is important that when Googling for information about COVID-19, always look for the most recent article from a trusted source, since doctors and scientists are constantly learning more and more about the nature of the virus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2020 11:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!