Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Democrats are threatening to expand the Supreme Court. Good.

With an election three months away in which Republicans very well may lose the White House and Senate — even as the 87-year-old Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is battling cancer yet again — the question has arisen anew: What if a Supreme Court seat becomes open between now and the election?

Or even more pointedly, what if a vacancy occurs after an election Republicans lose, but before the new Democratic Senate and president take office? Would Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell ram through another conservative justice as a last grab at right-wing judicial supremacy?

In May 2019, McConnell was asked what he would do if a seat became open in the last year of President Trump’s term. “We’d fill it,” he said with a smirk, surprising no one. The reason people in the room laughed knowingly was that when Republicans refused to allow President Barack Obama to fill a vacant seat in 2016, they claimed to be following a new principle, that no president should fill a seat in the final year of a term.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2020 11:25 AM

The GOP could lose the White House and the Senate in November, and there could be polling showing 100% disapproval for them filling a SCOTUS seat instead of leaving it open for Biden... and they would absolutely--without the slightest hesitation or sense of shame--fill that seat immediately.

Why anyone would think the GOP is suddenly gonna play fair or by the rules is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2020 10:37 AM

[quote]Would Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell ram through another conservative justice as a last grab at right-wing judicial supremacy?

Really? Is that a legitimate question?

by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2020 10:51 AM

I'd love if they expanded the literal Supreme Court bench.

And then just appointed one new Justice.

A really fat Chrissy Metz sized one.

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2020 10:53 AM

then the Republicans gain dominance and they expand it again?

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2020 10:58 AM

I read the Post. I know where they’re coming from. I appreciate where they’re coming from. But what is the point of an article like this to the audience who reads the Post? It will surprise no one who bothers to read beyond the headline, it will be read by no one who might be swayed from the dark side by the facts that it presents, and gives the regular commenting trolls a place to the land.

Long story short, it’s been a goddam long almost-four years.

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2020 11:01 AM

I don't understand the rationale, other than the pursuit of a very short-term goal which could easily be reverse by subsequent administrations. 9 is a fine number.

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2020 11:03 AM

Karma needs to be a bitch. Democrats must make the dying GOP pay for every norm they’ve so calllously ignored. They do it because they think Dems won’t sink to their level. It’s time to break out the deep water breathing apparatus and stick it to this assholes. The party is over.

by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2020 11:07 AM

I'm honestly surprised the Republicans haven't done it already. If the Dems don't do it, the Repugs will the next time they're in charge.

by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2020 11:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!