Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gavin Newsom Warns COVID Could Impact Labor Day, Halloween And The Holidays

California Gov. Gavin Newsom held a coronavirus press conference Monday and highlighted some good news. He also issued a warning about the state’s future with respect to COVID-19.

Newsom announced a total of 5,719 new coronavirus cases in the state for a total of 514,901 confirmed cases since the pandemic began. That’s a much lower daily number than some of the record-setting totals seen last week.

“The overall trend…is showing a decrease from where we were over a week ago,” said Newsom. “But one week does not make the kind of trend that gives us confidence to generate headlines. We are looking forward to that and need to see another few weeks of this kind of data to come in to feel more confident about where we are as a state.”

The rate of positive tests over the last 14 days is 7.0 percent. That’s down from 7.4 about two weeks ago.

On Monday, there were 6,383 coronavirus patients in hospitals. That’s down from more than 8,800 on July 21. Likewise ICU beds; the number now occupied by COVID-19 patients has fallen below 2,000.

“The good news is we do feel confident about our critical care capacity,” pointed out the governor.

Newsom announced 32 new deaths, resulting in a total of 9,388 people lost to the pandemic. “Thirty-two is a lower number than in the past…but we’re likely to see those numbers remain stubbornly high over the next few days and weeks.”

“These are just a few days” worth of results, warned the governor.

“We’ve seen some stabilization in most parts of the state,” said Newsom. “At the same time, we can quickly find ourselves back to where we were just a few weeks ago, a month ago, with significant increases if we do not maintain our vigilance.”

“This virus is not going away,” he warned. “It’s not just going to take Labor Day off. It’s not going to take Halloween off. Or the holidays off.”

“Until we have quality therapeutics, until we have a vaccine, we are going to be living with this virus,” predicted Newsom.

“We anticipate the second wave in the fall,” he said. “And that second wave also challenged by…flu season on top of COVID-19.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 5, 2020 7:15 AM

LA county says that numbers are down though...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2020 6:56 AM

Even if I have to celebrate alone, my Halloween will be amazing.

But I'm sure there will be spikes.

by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2020 7:55 AM

Just concentrate on the number of dead people and open up everything. I need to cruise around now. Just let old fat farts self-isolate as long as they want and I don't give a shit. Let me party!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2020 9:06 AM

Without a proper cure available no social gathering is safe.

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2020 9:11 AM

Why bother doing anything any more?

All of these lockdowns and quarantines and masks and closures, and all the other bullshit has made life so unenjoyable.

There is absolutely nothing to look forward to any more, except for more restrictions, less fun, more layoffs and more misery.

This fucking sucks.

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2020 12:04 PM

r5. Then get angry. Angry at Trump and the GOP for fucking up your life, your way of living by completely mishandling this Covid crisis. Use that anger to look forward to voting Trum and the Republican Party out of office.

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2020 1:03 PM

Gavin is so hot, but he's such a little bitch. I'm from Cali and no one that I know likes him. In fact, "hate" would a better descriptor. We're still in the summer season, so what is Halloween? I don't know her.

He should just let the experts do the talking while he gets on his knees and starts sucking, that's all he's good for at this point. That, and signing his Mein Führer executive orders.

by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2020 5:39 PM

Of course it will impact those holidays.

It has already impacted the Fall school semester, and it's definitely going to affect the football season.

At this point, there will be nothing to do in the Fall but watch re-runs on television.

by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2020 5:49 PM

R8 are you one of those scientists whose prediction models were wildly off the mark? We have no idea what is going to happen in October. When it comes to a virus, that's light years away. Anything can happen between now and then.

by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2020 6:00 PM

California is the new rust belt. Anyone with the means to do so is getting out. We're going to spend the next ten years debating federal aid and redevelopment programs to clean up after Newsom.

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2020 6:03 PM

Everyone who has some sense knew this. Of course, people will not listen and will go get infected anyway.

by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2020 6:05 PM

[quote]California is the new rust belt. Anyone with the means to do so is getting out. We're going to spend the next ten years debating federal aid and redevelopment programs to clean up after Newsom.

R10 = Deploraable

California feeds 70% of the nation, is home to many top ports in the world, Silicon Valley, Aero-industry, and now the factory capital of the US, countless of more attributes that the Rust belt never had/will never have.

by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2020 6:08 PM

It’s going to be the worst at Christmas time.

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2020 6:09 PM

People, especially conservatives, will have a fit if they don’t get to celebrate Christmas. They will have gatherings not following precautions and spread the virus. If you thought 4th of July was bad, you don’t know what’s coming.

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2020 6:12 PM

The Repugs act like we want their stanky asses in California

The more Repugs that leave, the faster our economic recovery will be. Let them go suck off some other state’s teat.

by Anonymousreply 15August 4, 2020 6:13 PM

R13 The election is in November, Covid will be all but forgotten by Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 16August 4, 2020 6:13 PM

Yeah, keep spreading your “it will magically disappear” bullshit, ashhole

by Anonymousreply 17August 4, 2020 6:16 PM

R16 Oh hun.

by Anonymousreply 18August 4, 2020 6:18 PM

It’s just the Asshole of Death, trying to kill more people with her science denial

by Anonymousreply 19August 4, 2020 6:19 PM

R16

Yeah, and they said it would be over in the summer because of the heat. That was a crock of shit.

by Anonymousreply 20August 4, 2020 6:20 PM

Gavin still has decently high approval numbers in the state. He did take a hit after the sharp spike in numbers that occurred after reopening (too soon) in late May, but he's still around or just under 60%.

by Anonymousreply 21August 4, 2020 6:28 PM

I can't wait to hear what Newsom and Cuomo have to say about the malignant narcissist after he is out of office. Cuomo for sure will unleash, brutally.

by Anonymousreply 22August 4, 2020 6:32 PM

WHAT HAPPENED TO HERD IMMUNITY?

by Anonymousreply 23August 4, 2020 6:33 PM

Labor Day signals the end of Summer, which is just about a month away.

It feels like Summer didn't even really get started.

by Anonymousreply 24August 4, 2020 6:35 PM

[quote] California feeds 70% of the nation

California can't even feed its homeless. Silicon Valley enriches those at the top while destroying wealth and income opportunity for the majority.

by Anonymousreply 25August 4, 2020 6:46 PM

R25 Hollywood also inflates that number. There are many people in the entertainment industry living in their cars.

by Anonymousreply 26August 4, 2020 6:51 PM

R25 He's talking about the massive agribusinesses that are kept afloat by dirt cheap illegal labor. Not as much of that available recently.

by Anonymousreply 27August 4, 2020 6:51 PM

This is all the Repugs have left? Attacking California?

We’ll see when all this is done who bounces back faster. Until then, it’s just the usual bullshit artists spewing their bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 28August 4, 2020 7:04 PM

To all the Karens - in California and elsewhere - who are deflecting their own complete inability to follow basic public-health guidelines onto Gavin Newsom (who, until the anti-shutdown and anti-mask movements gained steam, was doing a pretty good job of keeping numbers down):

We see you.

by Anonymousreply 29August 4, 2020 7:07 PM

Ha! I remember there were a couple of threads on DL boasting about how well CA was doing and how shitty NY was doing LOL

Who's laughing now?

by Anonymousreply 30August 4, 2020 7:10 PM

What's with his voice?

by Anonymousreply 31August 4, 2020 7:11 PM

R30

We just spiked at different times. And CA has much more Republicans who pressured Newsom to reopen too early. Still, I don’t think it’s as bad as New York was.

by Anonymousreply 32August 4, 2020 7:20 PM

R32, just you wait

by Anonymousreply 33August 4, 2020 7:21 PM

[quote]Ha! I remember there were a couple of threads on DL boasting about how well CA was doing and how shitty NY was doing LOL Who's laughing now?

New York is not doing better than California and California did provide aid to New York at their peak.

New York has 32,000 deaths to California's 9000, and flu season has not even arrived yet. I don't think New York, especially NYC, knows how fucked they are going to be again in a few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 34August 4, 2020 7:30 PM

There is a lot to be hopeful for.

The rapid saliva tests are proving MORE accurate than the nasal swabs for catching active infections and soon they'll be widespread.

That is going to enable the economy to go back close to normal. And we might have a vaccine soon.

Anyone who thought Corona was only going to be one wave and over by June was always an idiot who wasn't paying attention.

It might be 2 years before we have a vaccine, widespread rapid testing, etc. and everyone should have just prepared themselves to use masks, distancing, telework and telecourse schooling for 2 years at least.

by Anonymousreply 35August 4, 2020 7:43 PM

Recent studies show that COVID antibodies are disappearing from the body in as little as 2 months after the infection, r23, so herd immunity might not be viable.

Squeezing the infection out with lockdowns might work, but only if everyone in the U.S. did it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 4, 2020 7:45 PM

r16 = Deplorable, willful idiot.

by Anonymousreply 37August 4, 2020 7:49 PM

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 38August 4, 2020 7:55 PM

I agree with R35. People think that fear is the best tactic to get people to follow the rules, yet I don't see why we can't stress caution while also being realistic. The treatments are working to bring down the mortality rate. And they are only going to get better. It really doesn't make sense to advocate for lockdown until there is a vaccine when the risks of an extended lockdown start to outweigh the potential benefits. More effort should be spent enforcing common sense guidelines.

by Anonymousreply 39August 4, 2020 8:11 PM

This fucking year is a total bust, and it just keeps getting worse.

by Anonymousreply 40August 4, 2020 8:14 PM

R39 It's the election. If this had happened last year, even, much more level-headed decisions would be made across the board. This has been elevated to a battle of worldviews.

by Anonymousreply 41August 4, 2020 8:17 PM

[quote]Covid will be all but forgotten by Christmas.

I'll take that bet.

by Anonymousreply 42August 4, 2020 8:24 PM

[quote] If this had happened last year, even, much more level-headed decisions would be made across the board.

Oh bullshit. Dump would have fucked this or any other crisis up no matter when it happened during his term. He has shown nothing but incompetence. On any issue.

If anyone other than dump had been elected, the virus might be gone by winter. But since you evil assholes thought it would be cute to hire a narcissistic grifter clown to the most powerful job in the world, we are all fucked.

You have blood on your hands, Asshole of Death. And you just keep gleefully adding more pestilence and carnage.

by Anonymousreply 43August 4, 2020 8:33 PM

When they update the "new cases" number are they counting everyone that actually got sick with the "flu"

or are they counting those who recently tested positive AND actually got sick with the "flu"?

I don't trust these motherfuckers and I bet you they are counting anyone who tests positive as a COVID case, whether they get sick or not.

by Anonymousreply 44August 4, 2020 8:59 PM

Anyone who tests positive for COVID, symptoms or not, is a COVID case, you moron

by Anonymousreply 45August 4, 2020 9:04 PM

R44, using that same “logic,” then HIV-positive people shouldn’t be counted (or treated) unless they become sick. Right?

by Anonymousreply 46August 4, 2020 9:05 PM

[quote]I bet you they are counting anyone who tests positive as a COVID case, whether they get sick or not.

Ummm ... I don't even know what to do with this. Are you Donald Trump, by chance?

by Anonymousreply 47August 4, 2020 9:05 PM

We could already be at herd immunity and that is why so many are showing positive.

That is why is distinction between new cases who are sick and healthy people testing positive is important to know.

We should separate out those numbers.

by Anonymousreply 48August 4, 2020 9:10 PM

So many people are showing positive because so many people are positive, dipshit

And stop with the “herd immunity“ bullshit. If Sweden doesn’t have it, nobody does.

by Anonymousreply 49August 4, 2020 9:15 PM

Meanwhile, deaths keep spiraling up. Sort of blows the herd immunity theory.

by Anonymousreply 50August 4, 2020 9:19 PM

Amazing how willing you sheep are to believe whatever they tell you.

by Anonymousreply 51August 4, 2020 9:38 PM

The US is doing pretty well compared to the rest of the world when you factor in its population, geography, extreme wealth inequality, and diversity.

by Anonymousreply 52August 4, 2020 10:03 PM

4% of the world's population. 25% of the world's cases. 22% of the world's deaths.

You can try to spin that anyway you like, [R52], but it's an unmitigated disaster.

by Anonymousreply 53August 4, 2020 10:06 PM

You have lots of people in the US living in third world conditions but it's just so much easier to blame Trump.

by Anonymousreply 54August 4, 2020 10:06 PM

[quote] Amazing how willing you sheep are to believe whatever they tell you.

Says the asshole who keeps spitting out the Repug talking points, no matter how many times you’ve been proven wrong

by Anonymousreply 55August 4, 2020 10:09 PM

Oh no, what will I do if I can't celebrate holidays during a pandemic! We have to live our lives, etc etc

by Anonymousreply 56August 4, 2020 10:09 PM

[quote]You have lots of people in the US living in third world conditions but it's just so much easier to blame Trump.

Vietnam poverty rate, 2018: 23.6%. Covid deaths: 8

US poverty rate, 2018: 11.8% Covid deaths: 156,922

by Anonymousreply 57August 4, 2020 10:10 PM

[quote]blah, blah, blah ... but it's just so much easier to blame Trump.

Oh don’t worry. We don’t just blame the orange jesus.

We also blame you assholes who keep pushing this evil nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 58August 4, 2020 10:14 PM

Some of us actually have friends and family that we like to spend time with, R56.

Unlike you.

by Anonymousreply 59August 4, 2020 10:42 PM

[quote] Some of us actually have friends and family that we like to spend time with,

Do you like them enough to live or are you ok with them potentially getting sick and die so that you can hang out with them?

by Anonymousreply 60August 4, 2020 10:45 PM

R57 Those numbers are as realistic as Russias. California's poverty rate is higher than the national average despite its booming economy. We should ask ourselves why the poverty rate is as high as it is. Perhaps one of the reasons is that the richest among us are paying their workers slave wages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 4, 2020 11:19 PM

You haven't proven anything r55. You just keep spitting state sponsored talking points.

Show me your proof that any of what they are saying has any truth to it except that they say so.

by Anonymousreply 62August 4, 2020 11:24 PM

Does the governor have a sex tape we can review?

by Anonymousreply 63August 4, 2020 11:39 PM

DeBlasio just cancelled the Radio City annual spectacular as well.

Why the fuck are we opening schools then? It makes zero sense if we're closing everything else down but opening schools.

by Anonymousreply 64August 4, 2020 11:41 PM

[quote] Why the fuck are we opening schools then? It makes zero sense if we're closing everything else down but opening schools.

Trump wants to declare Martial Law when angry parents are coming for his head when kids get sick and die.

by Anonymousreply 65August 4, 2020 11:44 PM

The Russia trolls are in full gear it seems. They can't stand California and must trash it and spread propaganda or else they feel inferior.

Well, they are inferior.

by Anonymousreply 66August 4, 2020 11:59 PM

R5 is right. There IS nothing to look forward to. I’m in Manhattan and walked through the theater district and Times Square. Past theaters where we excitedly lined up to see shows, and now it’s a fucking zombie apocalypse. The bedraggled dirty nodding-off homeless outnumber regular people 2 to 1. There’s no Radio City Christmas Spectacular. (Mary!) Even though we could have predicted that correctly, if asked, it was a blow to hear it.

I’ve warned my kids that although they’re starting the school year with a few days in their actual schools, they need to be prepared to learn from home again (prepare the noose).

by Anonymousreply 67August 5, 2020 12:12 AM

[quote]I’ve warned my kids that although they’re starting the school year with a few days in their actual schools, they need to be prepared to learn from home again (prepare the noose).

No noose. It's a stupid fucking idea to begin with.

First off, kids aren't going back to any kind of normal in the schools, despite what dipshit deplorables want. There will be no art or music. You can forget gym, not happening. They're going to sit at their desk the ENTIRE day with a face mask on, unless they have to use the bathroom. No getting up to sharpen pencils or grab a piece of paper. Everything will be done and turned in on computers from their desks.

Lunches will be delivered in the classroom, where they will have to eat at their desks. Which, BTW, completely obliterates every other practice of social distancing, since germs will be spread as kids are eating with their mouths open and talking to each other. Unless schools implement a no talking policy during lunch.

Oh, and BTW, fire drills and shelter in place drills are still expected to happen, during which all of these social distancing rules are not going to be applied. Particularly, shelter in place drills, where kids will be huddled together for AT LEAST ten to fifteen minutes together.

Sounds like a blast, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 68August 5, 2020 12:25 AM

They should have parents pickup books and kids learn from home this year. Reopening will close again by Oct latest.

by Anonymousreply 69August 5, 2020 1:12 AM

The school kids- I feel bad for them. 😕

by Anonymousreply 70August 5, 2020 1:36 AM

R68 I am so glad I'm not in grade school or college right now.

I would be so fucking miserable.

It's miserable at work for sure, but work has always been miserable.

School should be fun. But right now it sounds like pure hell.

by Anonymousreply 71August 5, 2020 7:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!