Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chernobyl the mini series

Has anyone seen it? I'm on episode 2 and flabbergasted that a fire department, hospital and townsfolk are seemingly unaware and unequipped for an emergency. Firemen going to a fire at a reactor without proper gear? A hospital and reactor with no radiation shower thingies?

Were russians stupid or what?

by Anonymousreply 22August 5, 2020 5:17 AM

Yes. Yes. Yes. And yes.

by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2020 4:57 AM

The question R1 is why?

by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2020 5:06 AM

I didn't see "why" in the headline.

Just watch the whole series and you will learn the answers to your inane questions. Like people in the future will question why most of fat Americans in 2020 didn't wear face masks to protect themselves from the coronavirus.

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2020 5:13 AM

Were?

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2020 5:19 AM

This miniseries was amazing... one of my all time favorite series.

OP, I suggest you listen to the Chernobyl podcast with the series creator. There's a podcast for each episode. They clarify some of the history and why things happened. And IIRC, your exact question was a question that was asked on the podcast and answered by creator Craig Mazin.

But basically, if the government said it wasn't dangerous, then it wasn't dangerous. That's just the logic they used in the USSR. It's why they had such a blind spot that allowed this to happen to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2020 5:20 AM

So R1 and R3 is a troll not really interested in dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2020 5:21 AM

Thank you R5. I had no idea there was a podcast. So far its terrifying that everyone even in positions of authority are so cavalier and telling the experts they are wrong. Sounds familiar, right?

by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2020 5:24 AM

The question starts with "were" can be answered with yes or no.

Fuck you R6, the anti-Emily-Watson troll from the previous Chernobyl thread. You stink.

by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2020 5:26 AM

OP There was a great thread on this, at the time it was broadcast, last year.

by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2020 5:26 AM

Russian response to Chernobyl equals much of the worlds response to COVID-19.

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2020 5:28 AM

Here OP let me guide you to the original thread......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2020 5:30 AM

Thanks R11. I did a search and found nothing.

by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2020 5:44 AM

NP R12. The search option on this website is not so good. Next time try a search on Google.

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2020 5:58 AM

^ Type Chernobyl in the search engine here. The thread comes up.

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2020 6:12 AM

Oh No r10. Thanks to your hero, America’s response to Covid-19 has been similar to Chernobyl. We rate in the bottom 10 or so of all tracked metrics. Which means rest of world doing better. And I bet we have more resources than the other bottom 50 combined.

Not to mention, I am sure our outstanding response brought a tear to Vlads eye. His little bitch has been doing so good.

by Anonymousreply 15August 4, 2020 6:15 AM

Hubris, just like the US.

by Anonymousreply 16August 4, 2020 6:22 AM

Considering we've got 97 or so nuclear reactors including the triple reactors in South Carolina, Arkansas and Arizona I wonder how well prepared we are should we experience our own Chernobyl.

by Anonymousreply 17August 4, 2020 6:28 AM

R14 for some reason it did not work for me.

by Anonymousreply 18August 4, 2020 6:37 AM

Even the employees of the station didn’t have proper instructions. Their manual would have portions completely blacked out, they felt it was a need to know basis only.

by Anonymousreply 19August 4, 2020 6:46 AM

R17 Almost did with Three Mile Island back in 1979

by Anonymousreply 20August 4, 2020 11:50 AM

Growing up in NEPA, Three Mile Island was the only time I knew for sure that my parents were afraid of some near possibility, if only for the relief that was evident when the crisis ended.

by Anonymousreply 21August 4, 2020 11:54 AM

Gotta love all the vodka delivered by the case loads to all the soldiers and workers. Anywhere else it would be water.

by Anonymousreply 22August 5, 2020 5:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!