Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Questions from DL's Dinosaurs

I'll start.

Why are kids back to school already? When I was young school started 1st or 2nd week of September, after Labor Day. How widespread is it that kids go to school in August?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2020 4:34 AM

I was a kid in the 90s and in California we started the week after Labor Day. We moved to the south and my mother (incorrectly) assumed school started at the same time - it didn’t. School starts here in mid-August. Too fucking hot!

by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2020 12:41 AM

It depends where you live. In rural areas school lets out earlier in spring and starts back earlier, in late summer, to coordinate with the planting season. In areas like NYC where I grew up, school ended in late June and didn’t start up again until after Labor Day.

by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2020 12:43 AM

School starts in August in Florida. It has been like this as far as I can remember.

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2020 12:58 AM

I graduated in 1982 in Alabama and at that time school started in September.

I have a sister that is six years younger than me and by her senior year school was starting in mid August.

By 1990 school is starting the first week of August.

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2020 1:02 AM

I always started school in August. In the past few years, some districts were (pre-Covid) starting in July!

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2020 1:11 AM

I'm from the north. Schools always started the Wednesday after Labor Day. I live in the South now and kids go back at the beginning of August. So bizarre to me. But the reason I was told is because it is so hot in August in the South that kids can't even go outside and play (not that they even do that anymore) so they might at as well get out early in May when it's not so hot and be indoors again in August.

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2020 1:29 AM

California in the '50s/'60s - we always started right after Labor Day, and then immediately got a holiday for Admission Day (9/9, a state holiday.) They eliminated that a while back, however.

by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2020 2:38 AM

Schools in CA used to start after Labor Day and mid-June.

Now they start in August and get out in May.

Proms used to be at the very end of the school year, late-May... now they're held in March or April.

by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2020 2:43 AM

*and end in mid-June.

by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2020 2:43 AM

Florida, school starts August ends in May

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2020 2:58 AM

Indianapolis starts 1st of august or thereabouts

by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2020 3:26 AM

I started first grade in 1971 and graduated from high school in 1983. This was in Texas. We always started in August. It was usually sometime during the last two weeks of the month, although I remember starting as early as August 12 one year.

by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2020 4:18 AM

[quote]I'm from the north. Schools always started the Wednesday after Labor Day.

Yes, I'm from New England, and school began the Wednesday following the Jerry Lewis Telethon!

Anything else is pure torment!

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2020 4:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!