Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Share your favorite light, cool and refreshing meals (nothing hearty or substantial)

Cucumber and dill salad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 5, 2020 5:14 AM

No cooking. Bottle of store bought gazpacho. Olives, sheep cheese, bread, sliced cured ham, melon, cool wine. Easy peasy.

by Anonymousreply 1August 3, 2020 11:59 PM

Sushi.

by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2020 12:06 AM

gazpacho

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2020 12:09 AM

I love cucumbers but that looks disgusting, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2020 12:10 AM

OP, Are you Baltic or Polish? That salad I s very common there.

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2020 12:10 AM

McDonald’s drive-thru

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2020 12:12 AM

Package of imitation crab, can of corn, clean lettuce, a pepper and shredded carrot. Dressing of choice. Enjoy.

Or a simple tuna salad.

by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2020 12:13 AM

I'm of Polish heritage, and we were raised to first slice, salt, chill and drain the cucumbers for a few hours before adding the salad dressing. That makes for crisper cukes and a less watery salad. Even so, I'm calling bullshit on this woman's claim that her version keeps well. Cucumbers plus salad dressing plus time = watery mess.

by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2020 12:14 AM

A glass of whole milk

by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2020 12:15 AM

Cum.

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2020 12:16 AM

R8. Same.

by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2020 12:18 AM

Cucumber salad like that is very common - in the US. Have people never heard of this? Simple easy peasy to make.

by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2020 12:20 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2020 12:20 AM

Simple tomato salad. Use grape tomatoes, or cherry tomatoes on the vine. Slice them in half, toss with salt, EVOO and a splash of vinegar.

Angel hair pasta tossed with sautéed garlic & hot peppers, salt, pepper, and grated parm.

Pretty much any fruit salad combo works, but my favorite is mandarin slices, pomegranate seeds, and blackberries.

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2020 12:21 AM

A few blades of grass.

by Anonymousreply 15August 4, 2020 12:22 AM

Watermelon, arugula and feta cheese. Mint garnish optional.

by Anonymousreply 16August 4, 2020 12:33 AM

[quote]I love cucumbers but that looks disgusting, OP.

Share a cucumber recipe that looks appealing to you, then.

by Anonymousreply 17August 4, 2020 12:33 AM

I hate dill, but that is so pretty OP.

by Anonymousreply 18August 4, 2020 12:35 AM

tea sandwiches made with sweetened refrigerated pickle slices.

by Anonymousreply 19August 4, 2020 12:35 AM

I meant - refrigeratOR pickles. Where you slice cucumbers and soak them in sweet brine for a few days in your fridge. Drain and make sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 20August 4, 2020 12:36 AM

R17, this looks delicious. I don’t like creamy cucumber salads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 4, 2020 12:39 AM

Fresh watermelon and berries with some crisp white wine.

by Anonymousreply 22August 4, 2020 12:39 AM

This one is awesome

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 4, 2020 12:41 AM

R8, same. Very thin slices. We’d salt and rinse them, then squeeze every bit of water out of them. Tomato and very thinly sliced onion, walnut oil and a little vinegar. It was best after sitting for a day in the fridge. It’s so delicious. I make it all summer long.

A Korean friend made a version with ginger, a drop or two of sesame oil and rice vinegar, It was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 24August 4, 2020 12:46 AM

R16 almost made me puke 🤢

by Anonymousreply 25August 4, 2020 12:48 AM

A salad I make is diced tomatoes, chickpeas, cut into small cubes avocado, cilantro, red or green onion (optional), juice of a whole lemon, a bit of olive oil and salt. It has protein, Omegas, vitamins and I chill and serve. The lemon juice is nice and cooling on days when the heat can make you nauseous. I serve it with some crackers to cut the acid in the lemon juice..

by Anonymousreply 26August 4, 2020 12:52 AM

OP - no offense to our Polish sisters on here, but I am soooooo happy I was sent to this part of Romania when the company opened an office because Slavic countries are all mayo and sparse on tasty vegetables as I saw from my travels. Give me the roasted red bell peppers, the aubergines, and the endless array of fresh veggies and fruits here because Prague, for example, has been called the land vegetables forgot besides some cucumber and mayo (God forbid).

by Anonymousreply 27August 4, 2020 12:55 AM

Why do so many new millennium recipes Include a mixture of wtf ingredients mixed together to form shitastic flavors?

by Anonymousreply 28August 4, 2020 12:58 AM

Quinoa salad with roasted vegetables. Sometimes topped with crumbled feta.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 4, 2020 1:03 AM

Spring rolls stuffed with fresh herbs and whatever else you like, with a spicy peanut sauce

by Anonymousreply 30August 4, 2020 1:04 AM

Zucchini noodles/zoodles. So good, I truly prefer it over pasta now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 4, 2020 1:07 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 4, 2020 1:10 AM

Start a separate zucchini noodle thread if you have to go on with that shit.

by Anonymousreply 33August 4, 2020 1:11 AM

Caprese salad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 4, 2020 1:12 AM

Lol r33

by Anonymousreply 35August 4, 2020 1:12 AM

Sliced summer tomatoes and avocados with Triscuits and cheese. Maybe with olives if I want a bold flavor.

by Anonymousreply 36August 4, 2020 1:13 AM

R33 ? There are two replies mentioning zucchini-based recipes. Are you ok? Or just not a fan?

by Anonymousreply 37August 4, 2020 1:14 AM

I am not a fan, r37. Especially of people who say shit like 'I even like it more than pasta.' Take your zucchini and shove it up your ass. I'd say "using a repetitive motion until the white stuff comes out," but I am not convinced you have a prostate.

by Anonymousreply 38August 4, 2020 1:18 AM

It's not a meal, but banana ice cream ("nice cream") is delicious and refreshing. All you really need is frozen bananas and a good blender/food processor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 4, 2020 1:20 AM

Baked Camembert with fig jam on toast and a buttery Chardonnay.

by Anonymousreply 40August 4, 2020 1:23 AM

R38 Lol you must be fun at parties. Do you have some unresolved childhood trauma related to a zucchini or something? It won't hurt you, you know. [italic]You don't have to eat it.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 41August 4, 2020 1:24 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 4, 2020 1:25 AM

I should have known: the banana non-ice cream is from the taste maven who brought us the zucchini faux pasta recipes.

by Anonymousreply 43August 4, 2020 1:25 AM

I don’t have to eat fuckin ingredients that were never ever intended to be put together until millennials decided they must be because they fucked away their taste buds with too many dicks.

by Anonymousreply 44August 4, 2020 1:27 AM

I don’t really buy zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash as a pasta substitute but enjoy them with a chunky tomato sauce and Parmesan as a meatless meal.

by Anonymousreply 45August 4, 2020 1:36 AM

R43 Well, OP asked for light meals. Isn't food substitutions a natural go-to when you don't want something hearty or substantial? Both those substitutions somewhat mimic pasta and dairy ice cream, respectively, when it comes to texture and taste. It's hilarious that you're upset over it.

What are your thoughts on substituting cauliflower for potatoes? Or will the sheer idea of it give you an aneurysm?

by Anonymousreply 46August 4, 2020 1:38 AM

R38 - I make real home-made gnocchi with a sauce that has zucchini ribbons that melt in real butter and cheese that I melt on top the.gnocchi with a dash of garlic. I know you would like it.

by Anonymousreply 47August 4, 2020 1:49 AM

Not r38, and that sounds delicious r47 but hardly a light meal.

A light meal to me is a green salad, maybe with tomatoes and avocado to give it some heft. Or some fruit and a little cheese.

by Anonymousreply 48August 4, 2020 1:56 AM

I enjoy a good steak tartare, as does my adopted daughter, Christina.

by Anonymousreply 49August 4, 2020 2:31 AM

I find Japanese food the best in this category. Light, refreshing, healthful, yum. I want a Japanese bf who can cook.

by Anonymousreply 50August 4, 2020 5:45 AM

Yeah when I want light cool and refreshing meals I turn to hot pasta and baked cheese. too!

by Anonymousreply 51August 4, 2020 5:49 AM

R50 absolutely. I want to pursue a macrobiotic diet (aka the Madge and Goop diet) not for health reasons, but because the food just sounds so appealing to me.

For some reason, I find myself craving light meals more often then heavy ones.

Beans and a hot miso soup with plenty of tofu is enough protein and "heft" for me.

by Anonymousreply 52August 4, 2020 6:19 AM

[Quote] For some reason, I find myself craving light meals more often then heavy ones.

Getting on in years, are we?

by Anonymousreply 53August 4, 2020 6:22 AM

Thank you to those who did not say “easy peasy.”

by Anonymousreply 54August 4, 2020 6:30 AM

Aguachile! Mexico doesn't get nearly enough credit for its light, cool foods.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 4, 2020 6:42 AM

Dilled salmon salad on toasted baguette slices.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 4, 2020 6:58 AM

Excellent salad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 4, 2020 7:04 AM

Albacore chunks on any green salad

by Anonymousreply 58August 4, 2020 7:06 AM

Halloumi pomegranate salad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 4, 2020 7:06 AM

A salad is not a meal, it's a dish.

by Anonymousreply 60August 4, 2020 8:12 AM

Panzanella (Italian Bread Salad).

Any recipe will do. Cold, fresh ingredients. I personally toast the bread cubes slightly beforehand, but it isn't necessary, if you only plan to make enough for one or two meals. Toss lightly in a good bottled dressing (I like Zesty House Italian, but you can use anything you like), and you're done!

Of course, you can leave out the bread, but it's totally worth eating if you find a nice crusty herbed bread, or a loaf baked with whole cloves of roasted garlic.

by Anonymousreply 61August 4, 2020 8:26 AM

R60 With a glass of cold chardonnay, for me...a salad is definitely a meal.

by Anonymousreply 62August 4, 2020 8:27 AM

I like that site a lot, OP; I've tried a number of her recipes. All very good.

by Anonymousreply 63August 4, 2020 8:32 AM

Julia's Child's Summer Dinner, of course — poached salmon with cucumbers and dill, chicken livers in aspic, buttered new potatoes, "very fresh spinach salad" and a savarin for dessert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 4, 2020 8:41 AM

I've made two batches of Israeli Chopped Salad in the last week. I add crumbled feta, and it's a really satisfying meal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 4, 2020 8:47 AM

R5 nope, just a Flyoverian who likes light refreshing meals

by Anonymousreply 66August 4, 2020 2:59 PM

Bon appetit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 4, 2020 3:21 PM

I just can't get over that some cunt posted baked cheese.

by Anonymousreply 68August 4, 2020 3:25 PM

Sushi can be made to be either hearty or light so it’s a good compromise for lunch with people who have diverse taste or needs.

For light sushi you can have it made with vegetables with or without light protein like crab or omelette. For heartier varieties you can do Americanized Japanese sushi laden with multiple ingredients in same roll, like baked salmon, cream cheese, avocado, eel, tempura shrimp, teriyaki chicken, etc...

by Anonymousreply 69August 4, 2020 4:47 PM

[quote]Toss lightly in a good bottled dressing (I like Zesty House Italian, but you can use anything you like), and you're done!

Bottled dressing? Ugh!

Toss your salad in olive oil and salt. When everything is coated, add vinegar and toss some more. Salad, dressed.

by Anonymousreply 70August 4, 2020 4:59 PM

R68, I am that cunt. I’m not talking about a whole wheel of Camembert, you fat fuck. I cut a 1” wedge and heat it up until it is spreadable on a piece of toast with some jam.

by Anonymousreply 71August 4, 2020 5:05 PM

Nothing with dairy, meat or alcohol in it is "light and refreshing".

by Anonymousreply 72August 4, 2020 5:40 PM

At least r71's camembert is what it says it is, not frozen pureed banana calling itself banana ice cream. The banana "ice cream" cunt needs to be punched and deleted and then punched some more.

by Anonymousreply 73August 4, 2020 6:17 PM

R71, ignore that bitch.

When I saw your post I thought it sounded divine as a pre-bedtime snack.

by Anonymousreply 74August 4, 2020 6:37 PM

Sushi is definitely not a light summer meal in Japan. Crab and egg are just as heavy. The Japanese eat zarusoba or some other cold noodle dish when it's hot.

by Anonymousreply 75August 4, 2020 6:38 PM

Here's my light and refreshing dish:

Garbanzo beans.

Grape tomatoes.

Baby cucumbers.

Feta cheese.

Dressing made of vinegar, garlic, cumin powder, & Tabasco sauce.

by Anonymousreply 76August 4, 2020 7:27 PM

Vietnamese Rice Rolls

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 4, 2020 9:33 PM

Now that's nice, r77.

by Anonymousreply 78August 4, 2020 9:35 PM

I love how combative DLs Maiden Aunts get in these food threads

by Anonymousreply 79August 4, 2020 9:40 PM

Another great dipping sauce for Vietnamese Rice Rolls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80August 4, 2020 9:51 PM

r79 I love how OurMillennialNincompoop never has anything to say, other than to mock the eldergays. What did his parents do to him?

by Anonymousreply 81August 4, 2020 9:52 PM

Shrimp cocktail

by Anonymousreply 82August 4, 2020 9:53 PM

I like Vietnamese summer rolls a lot, but I don't like that thick hoisin / peanut butter-type sauce they give you. I prefer something thinner as well.

by Anonymousreply 83August 4, 2020 9:58 PM

R83 I actually like to eat it plain without sauce but I think I’m in the minority on this.

by Anonymousreply 84August 4, 2020 10:03 PM

I love how the pointless bitchery invades even a thread about light refreshing meals.

Never change, DL.

by Anonymousreply 85August 4, 2020 11:15 PM

My favorite dipping sauce for rolls and many other things is chili sauce. Perfect for a lighter meal if you can tolerate the heat, otherwise use sweeter peppers. I make it with honey instead of sugar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86August 4, 2020 11:21 PM

////

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87August 4, 2020 11:28 PM

How does adding a glass of wine to something insubstantial make it a meal? Wine is a beverage and it doesn't satisfy the urge to eat something. Also, watermelon and berries is not a meal.

by Anonymousreply 88August 4, 2020 11:28 PM

[quote]I like Vietnamese summer rolls a lot, but I don't like that thick hoisin / peanut butter-type sauce they give you. I prefer something thinner as well.

Try the dipping sauce @ R80

1/4 cup fish sauce (brand I use is Flying Lion Phu Quoc )

1/2 cup water

3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice , or to taste

3 large garlic cloves (preferably mashed in a mortar and pestle but minced will work fine)

1 Tablespoon sugar , or to taste

1-2 fresh thai chiles , to taste

1 teaspoon crushed fresh ginger root (optional for another variation)

At my fav Vietnamese place they always serve the fish sauce dipping with the Rice Rolls, although I like the peanut dipping too.

by Anonymousreply 89August 5, 2020 12:20 AM

[quote] How does adding a glass of wine to something insubstantial make it a meal? Wine is a beverage and it doesn't satisfy the urge to eat something. Also, watermelon and berries is not a meal.

For people who normally have a glass of wine with a "meal," it can make you feel like you are eating a "meal" rather than a snack or something to tide you over until mealtime.

I quit drinking, but when I did drink, alcohol (incl. wine) actually did satisfy my urge to eat.

Agree that watermelon and berries are not a meal.

by Anonymousreply 90August 5, 2020 12:41 AM

R77 wins.

Some of you are nuts, others of you are “simple” and a few are interesting. But, hey, I’m a vegan so you all hate me, too!

by Anonymousreply 91August 5, 2020 12:49 AM

R90, True - a glass of wine and a small bag of popcorn (or wasabi almonds) feels like a meal to me. Prob. due to the 200 cals in the glass of wine😉

by Anonymousreply 92August 5, 2020 12:57 AM

Someone has never heard of Entree salads? Chicken or salmon or shrimp Caesar..Chinese chicken salad? These are abundant in restaurants you tool.

by Anonymousreply 93August 5, 2020 5:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!