Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Former pope Benedict seriously ill, says German newspaper.

Former pope Benedict XVI, the first pontiff in 600 years to resign instead of ruling for life, is seriously ill, a German newspaper reported on Monday.

The newspaper, Passauer Neue Presse, cited Benedict's biographer, German author Peter Seewald, who met the 93-year-old pope emeritus at the Vatican on Saturday.

A Vatican spokesperson had no comment on the report and the former pope's personal secretary, Archbishop Georg Ganswein, did not immediately return a call asking for comment.

Seewald said Benedict, who has been in frail health for some time, was now suffering from shingles, a viral infection that causes painful rashes and is common among older people.

Seewald said Benedict's voice is barely audible — echoing something other visitors have said for months — and that the former pope told him he might pick up writing again if he regains his strength.

The Vatican, responding to the report hours later, said it was "not particularly worrying" and that the former pope was overcoming the acute phase of a painful but not grave ailment.

In June, Benedict, who lives in a former convent in the Vatican gardens, left Italy for the first time since his resignation in 2013 for an emotional farewell visit to his older brother Georg in their native Bavaria.

Benedict insisted resignation was due to health reasons.

Benedict, who was elected in 2005 to succeed the widely popular Pope John Paul II after a reign of nearly 27 years, shocked the world and even his closest aides on Feb. 11, 2013, when he announced in Latin he was stepping down.

He told a gathering of cardinals that he was too old and frail to lead an institution with more than 1.3 billion members.

At the time of Benedict's resignation the Vatican was mired in a raft of financial woes, sexual abuse scandals, and infighting among bureaucrats that led to leaks of important documents.

Benedict said his resignation was due exclusively to health reasons.

Hardline conservatives in the Roman Catholic Church who have been alarmed by Pope Francis's progressive moves have looked to Benedict as their standard bearer. This forced the former pope on several occasions to remind them that there is only one pope — Francis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 4, 2020 5:35 PM

So young!

by Anonymousreply 1August 3, 2020 9:42 PM

Hey Bennie, call me.

by Anonymousreply 2August 3, 2020 9:43 PM

Oh well....and the sun rose in the east today.

by Anonymousreply 3August 3, 2020 9:43 PM

His brother just died very recently. He died in my university town and he visited him for the last time.

The former pope is from around my area.

by Anonymousreply 4August 3, 2020 9:44 PM

Who will inherit his Gucci slippers?

by Anonymousreply 5August 3, 2020 9:44 PM

The Vatican confirmed he was in the hospital with a “painful” condition but that it wasn’t life threatening. In other words, he’ll be dead in weeks.

I think the painful condition is the dildo Gay-org stuck up the papal ass.

by Anonymousreply 6August 3, 2020 9:45 PM

Does he really have Nazi tendencies, r4?

by Anonymousreply 7August 3, 2020 9:45 PM

[quote] Who will inherit his Gucci slippers?

They are mine, bitches. Whether I wear them or not is my infallible decision to make.

by Anonymousreply 8August 3, 2020 9:46 PM

He was forced to join the Hitler Youth at the age of 14, as all German boys were.

by Anonymousreply 9August 3, 2020 9:48 PM

pleez get up we luv u pope

by Anonymousreply 10August 3, 2020 9:50 PM

So long, it's been good to know ya!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 3, 2020 9:52 PM

[quote]Benedict, who has been in frail health for some time, was now suffering from shingles, a viral infection that causes painful rashes and is common among older people.

You would think that a pope--even a former pope--would have the shingles vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 12August 3, 2020 9:54 PM

Come and knock on our door,

We’ve been waiting for you

by Anonymousreply 13August 3, 2020 9:56 PM

I babysat for him.

by Anonymousreply 14August 3, 2020 9:59 PM

WillPope Francis do the casket dance?

by Anonymousreply 15August 3, 2020 10:04 PM

And I drove him to priesthood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 3, 2020 10:06 PM

Where the fuck is Benny's personal Dr. Feelgood, the very hot Georg Ganswein?

by Anonymousreply 17August 3, 2020 10:12 PM

Just dangle a child in front of him. That will get the fucker jumping.

by Anonymousreply 18August 3, 2020 10:14 PM

The Catholic Church has a moral sickness. It is called pedophilia and it is institutionalized there so they blame Hollywood to try and deflect and project their own perversions onto the only truly moral people: rich, straight white liberal celebrities and politicians.

by Anonymousreply 19August 3, 2020 10:19 PM

Gorgeous George Ganswein got in trouble, R17. He got in a dispute with a very conservative cardinal. You don't see him greeting visiting dignitaries when they come to see the pope.

by Anonymousreply 20August 3, 2020 10:23 PM

R20, what’s the dispute?

by Anonymousreply 21August 3, 2020 10:24 PM

R21, from Wikipedia:

Dispute with Cardinal Sarah In January 2020, Gänswein asked Cardinal Robert Sarah to have his publishers remove Pope Benedict’s name as co-author with Sarah of a book about priestly celibacy, and to remove Benedict’s name as author of the book's introduction and conclusions. He said Benedict had not participated in the writing nor authorized the use of his name. He characterized the problem as "a question of misunderstanding, without casting doubt on the good faith of Cardinal Sarah".[20] Sarah had already denied that characterization of Benedict's role,[20] but then asked his publishers to make changes in how Benedict’s participation was represented, though his U.S. publisher refused to make any adjustment.[21]

Following his dispute with Sarah, Gänswein ceased to perform the public functions of his position as prefect of the papal household. He no longer appeared alongside Pope Francis at the pope's weekly audiences, nor greeted heads of state and the pope's other most important visitors. His title did not change. The Holy See Press Office said Gänswein's role reflected a "redistribution of the various commitments and duties" of papal household staff.

In order words, the usual bitchiness and catiness of a bunch of deeply closeted queens.

by Anonymousreply 22August 3, 2020 10:30 PM

Thank you, R17/R22.

by Anonymousreply 23August 3, 2020 10:35 PM

Lol R22. Just what I was going to say. Gayorg pitched a hissy fit. MARY!

[quote] Who will inherit his Gucci slippers?

it's PRADA, bitch.

He's not known as "Benny Prada" for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 24August 3, 2020 10:43 PM

Go towards the light Bennie!

by Anonymousreply 25August 3, 2020 10:48 PM

Unless you are 12 years old, R14, the former pontiff is uninterested in your area.

by Anonymousreply 26August 3, 2020 11:09 PM

GODDAMNIT!! I meant R4! So much for that joke!

by Anonymousreply 27August 3, 2020 11:10 PM

Maybe the flames from his purse finally set his dress on fire.

by Anonymousreply 28August 3, 2020 11:12 PM

R4 Do your duty and plunge a stake through his black heart!

by Anonymousreply 29August 3, 2020 11:14 PM

Report: Retired Pope Benedict XVI ill after visit to Germany

A German newspaper is reporting that Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI has fallen ill after his return from a trip to his native Bavaria to visit his brother, who died a month ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 3, 2020 11:20 PM

Report: Retired Pope Benedict XVI ill after visit to Germany

A German newspaper is reporting that Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI has fallen ill after his return from a trip to his native Bavaria to visit his brother, who died a month ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 3, 2020 11:20 PM

The previous report R30 and R31 was filed six hours ago.

The following report was filed four hours ago:

Former Pope Benedict's condition 'not particularly worrying', says Vatican

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 3, 2020 11:22 PM

[quote]Seewald said Benedict's voice is barely audible

Well, no one wants to listen to him, anyway, so this, this is working very well for them.

by Anonymousreply 33August 4, 2020 1:51 AM

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, good night.

by Anonymousreply 34August 4, 2020 1:52 AM

Such a handsome young man with a striking resemblance to yours truly.

by Anonymousreply 35August 4, 2020 2:22 AM

Pooped Pope Pops.

by Anonymousreply 36August 4, 2020 2:27 AM

R36 = New York Post

by Anonymousreply 37August 4, 2020 2:30 AM

[quote]I babysat for him.

[quote]—Olivia de Havilland

GET OUT! So did I!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 4, 2020 2:32 AM

Gorgeous George has emerged:

[quote] Vatican press office: Archbishop Georg Ganswein, personal secretary of Benedict XVI, says "the health condition of emeritus pope does not give cause for particular concern, expect that of a 93 year old who's overcoming the most acute phase of a painful but not serious illness."

Of course, traditionally the Vatican always says the pope's health is of little concern, followed by an announcement that he has died.

by Anonymousreply 39August 4, 2020 10:12 AM

Goodbye, Germany's rose!

by Anonymousreply 40August 4, 2020 11:13 AM

Don't fret, it's pretty boss up here, Bennie. They've got bigger closets and lots of shoes to fill em!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 4, 2020 11:57 AM

[quote] Don't fret, it's pretty boss up here, Bennie. They've got bigger closets and lots of shoes to fill em! —Imelda

Rofl. Imelda Marcos is still alive. She's 91.

However, when she does die, she'll most likely be going to hell. To join her husband.

by Anonymousreply 42August 4, 2020 12:07 PM

None of this is particularly funny or witty and much of it outright mean. Like 99% of the internets. I pray for your souls.

by Anonymousreply 43August 4, 2020 12:11 PM

If I were Pope Francis, I would insist that Benedict wear black like a regular priest. Having him in Papal white makes him look as if he’s still Reigning, which of course he’s not. He shouldn’t be considered Pope Emeritus, they should have created a lesser title for him, some obscure bishop title maybe or even a Papal count.

by Anonymousreply 44August 4, 2020 12:23 PM

Sister Clementia @R43 desperately needs to be finger popped by one of her fellow bull-dyke nuns.

by Anonymousreply 45August 4, 2020 12:36 PM

lol R42, nobody in the hereafter wants the bitch!

by Anonymousreply 46August 4, 2020 12:39 PM

We prefer to think of him as he was - and really is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 4, 2020 12:45 PM

I’ve never heard of shingles being life threatening. It’s just painful. Sorry guys.

by Anonymousreply 48August 4, 2020 2:50 PM

Benny the Rat.

by Anonymousreply 49August 4, 2020 3:43 PM

Wouldn’t it be stranger, if he was perfectly healthy?

by Anonymousreply 50August 4, 2020 3:45 PM

The Dowager Pope.........will recover.....

by Anonymousreply 51August 4, 2020 3:47 PM

Wouldn't it be ironic if Pope Francis died before Benny did?

Then what?

Could Benny Prada just slip back into the job, or do they have to choose someone new, while the "Emeritus" Pope sits on the sidelines, with all the perks and privileges?

by Anonymousreply 52August 4, 2020 5:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!