Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joni Mitchell says it all went down-hill for her in the 80s

From Q Magazine in 1988

“I started the 80s by going to a party - at Stephen Bishop’s - with the theme “Be nice to the 80s and the 80s will be nice to you”. Everyone realized at the brink of it that it was going to be a hideous era. I had this car, my beloved ‘69 Bluebird and I was on my way, driving past Tower Records on Sunset, it was that royal blue time of night, just before it goes black. I stopped and ran into the store because I just had to listen to a Jimmy Cliff record, The Bongo Man Has Come. But when I came out there was the empty slot where my car had been. Never saw it again. I loved that Bluebird.”

by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2020 2:21 AM

“Anyway, that’s how the 80s were ushered in for me and it was all down- hill from there. The government ripped me off - I was one of just 12 people in the entire country who were forced to pay a new tax on a record at the point you hand it over to the record company. Twelve people! What kind of justice is there in this thing? I’m still fighting it. Then my housekeeper decided to sue me for $5 million.”

by Anonymousreply 1August 3, 2020 8:07 PM

That was when she recorded that ill-advised duet with Helen Lawson.

by Anonymousreply 2August 3, 2020 8:09 PM

I bet the bitch left her keys in the ignition when she ran into Tower Records. Stupid bitch got what she deserved.

by Anonymousreply 3August 3, 2020 8:09 PM

Jesus, she is so bitter. Let it go Joni--the 80s happened.

by Anonymousreply 4August 3, 2020 8:14 PM

OP is quoting a magazine article from 32 years ago, so there's that for context

by Anonymousreply 5August 3, 2020 8:18 PM

Like most of us, she simply forgot where she parked the car.

Easier for her to take a big yellow taxi to a car lot and get another one.

by Anonymousreply 6August 3, 2020 8:18 PM

The car probably reeked of cigarette smoke.

by Anonymousreply 7August 3, 2020 8:44 PM

This thread still makes me laugh to the point of tears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2020 2:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!