Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are there any funny broads left?

I'm not talking about stand-up comedians or comedic actresses or strictly writers. There are plenty of good -- even excellent comedic actresses and comedians working today -- especially on TV. I'm talking about showbiz BROADS. Personalities. Those women of a certain age who are natural born entertainers -- the ones who made brilliant talk show guests, who gave the funniest speeches at events like AFI tributes, who had a little edge, a little vinegar in them, who were eminently quotable. They may have in fact been actresses and/or writers, but they could shine just as themselves, without a "project". From Tallulah Bankhead to Joan Rivers, Debbie Reynolds, to Nora Ephron to Elaine Stritch. Is there anyone like that left?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 5, 2020 12:47 AM

Dolly Parton?

by Anonymousreply 1August 3, 2020 2:04 PM

No, because that personality type is old and outdated. It was a persona designed to appeal to men who didn’t like women. The only broads left (Joy Behar, Susie Essman) are older.

by Anonymousreply 2August 3, 2020 4:59 PM

R1 - I guess Dolly has some of that in her, although she's really in a class of her own.

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2020 1:08 AM

Dolly isn’t really what the category is about. In addition to the fact that she is s first-rate musician, her bawdiness always has a sweetness. The “broad” is often talented but a full-fledged Star—I think of Suzanne Pleshette as an example, good actress in the right vehicle, but could also do trashy stuff like A Ragr to Live.

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2020 1:15 AM

Comedy and funny has been extinguished. It's simply not permitted any longer. The SJW have taken over. I wish Joan Rivers was still alive. She'd tell everyone to go fuck themselves.

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2020 1:32 AM

Deborah Di Giovinnai...............super super comic............

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2020 1:33 AM

Charles Busch.

by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2020 1:33 AM

Molly Shannon for sure

by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2020 1:40 AM

Agreed. Comedy is pretty much dead.

by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2020 1:42 AM

What about Ilana Glaser?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2020 1:48 AM

Phoebe Waller Bridge

by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2020 1:50 AM

Alec Mapa

by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2020 2:33 AM

Kristen Johnston

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2020 2:39 AM

Plenty of very talented funny people mentioned here in the last few posts, but none of them are really "funny broads" in the OP definition.

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2020 2:42 AM

JFC, OP -- what year is this? How old are you?

I hope you take it kindly when one of those old "broads" calls you a sissy faggot.

by Anonymousreply 15August 4, 2020 2:45 AM

Bette Midler isn't dead yet, so her I guess?

by Anonymousreply 16August 4, 2020 2:48 AM

R16 - oh, yeah, good one. She definitely fits the definition.

by Anonymousreply 17August 4, 2020 2:54 AM

I was literally in a movie called THESE OLD BROADS.

by Anonymousreply 18August 4, 2020 3:02 AM

Miriam Margolyes

by Anonymousreply 19August 4, 2020 4:40 AM

Hello?? Cloris Leachman is still queen of the broads.

by Anonymousreply 20August 4, 2020 4:45 AM

Bette Midler

Laine Kazan

Jackée

Jennifer Coolidge

Kristen Johnston

Roseanne before she went crazy

Dyke broads:

Queen Latifah

Lea Delaria

by Anonymousreply 21August 4, 2020 5:24 AM

Women aren't interesting these days because of feminism. They're too spoiled. They've been coddled by society and catered to too much to the point where they don't need to develop personalities anymore. They have it too easy. Even the ugly chicks.

That's why men are better at comedy than women. Men have more life experience and more struggles than women. Next time you're in a room with mixed company, notice how all the interesting people to talk to are men, while the women try to attract attention with their looks and loud laughing and irrelevant chatter. Women have nothing interesting to say.

by Anonymousreply 22August 4, 2020 5:49 AM

Ew. Get out of here with that misogynistic bullshit, R22. This thread was about celebrating women.

by Anonymousreply 23August 4, 2020 5:51 AM

I’m still here.

by Anonymousreply 24August 4, 2020 8:13 AM

Joe Rogan va Feminist Broad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 4, 2020 7:26 PM

Vs.

by Anonymousreply 26August 4, 2020 7:29 PM

Tracey Ullman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 4, 2020 7:51 PM

Thinking of Totie Fields and Phyllis Diller, RIP. Both tough broads and funny guests.

by Anonymousreply 28August 4, 2020 7:56 PM

Fannie Flagg

by Anonymousreply 29August 4, 2020 8:16 PM

Hannah Gadsby is stunning and brave and reinventing the phallocentric conceits of "stand-up comedy," OP!

by Anonymousreply 30August 4, 2020 8:18 PM

Joe Rogan has no business being in a thread about what's actually funny, BTW.

by Anonymousreply 31August 4, 2020 8:19 PM

The "funny broad" was the type of woman who could hold her own against the sexist culture of the cigar smoking, heavy drinking, butt slapping, back-room card playing, old-boys clubs and the men who ruled that whole scene. NY, Vegas, LA, South Beach. Lucille Ball, Phyllis Diller, Joan Rivers, Bette Midler, were some. But social values have changed and those types of men have been replaced. Their behavior is now considered inappropriate and there is less of a need for women to develop a bawdy style of humor to deflect and survive the misogynistic culture they're trapped in.

by Anonymousreply 32August 5, 2020 12:47 AM

R23, look Frau, don't get all butt hurt because you received an answer that wasn't to your liking. Take your pro-feminist BS somewhere else. Men don't want to hear it, and we're not all about celebrating women 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 33August 5, 2020 12:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!