Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bad acting traits

What are some bad acting traits in your opinion?

Actors and actresses overemphasizing the f word in a sentence. Not doing that feels like acting 101 - yet I see it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 175September 5, 2020 3:58 AM

If a character is a cigarette smoker, bad acting would be overdoing the smoking gestures. Most real smokers are kind of understated or economical in movement when they smoke, because smoking is something they do all the time.

In this photo, looks like Brad Pitt is indoors. If you're indoors, no need to shield your flame from the wind. He's making too much of smoking a cigarette.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 3, 2020 6:54 AM

Reliance on one thing only.

Exhibit A: Bruce Willis' smirk with pursed lips.

by Anonymousreply 2August 3, 2020 6:55 AM

William Shatner

by Anonymousreply 3August 3, 2020 6:57 AM

Bruce Willis is one horrible actor.

by Anonymousreply 4August 3, 2020 6:59 AM

The Neve Campbell massage your neck and sigh thing, she did it in every movie and TV show

by Anonymousreply 5August 3, 2020 7:09 AM

Nicholas Cage. Everything he does

by Anonymousreply 6August 3, 2020 7:21 AM

Madonna - blinking. I watched a clip of her in her acclaimed performance in Dangerous Game. She's good but the blinking was distracting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 3, 2020 7:38 AM

Will Smith never got anything right. Generally every actor who can’t show appropriate emotions when the scene demands it

by Anonymousreply 8August 3, 2020 8:23 AM

The rapid eye, side to side movement.

by Anonymousreply 9August 3, 2020 8:32 AM

Over-enunciating ... reciting lines as if they are being read rather than spoken in a normal manner and tone. I refer to this as being 'wooden'.

by Anonymousreply 10August 3, 2020 8:43 AM

Regularly pushing hair back from the face...to show indecision, seduction, annoyance, what have you. People rarely do this in real life.

(Sometimes you will see an actress do this when her long hair is suddenly blocking her face and she wants to save the take, but that’s not what I’m referring to.)

by Anonymousreply 11August 3, 2020 9:15 AM

'Tick tock tick tock'. Now who can that be?

by Anonymousreply 12August 3, 2020 9:19 AM

Going for the emotion first.

by Anonymousreply 13August 3, 2020 12:56 PM

When they do weird things with their mouth, like Ralph Fiennes or Jodie Foster. It shows they are thinking, "I'm on camera" and not being a character.

by Anonymousreply 14August 3, 2020 1:04 PM

When you can’t forget it’s the actor. I Ammmmmmm! Keanu Reeves. My timing is off, I look confused, I can’t lose my valley boy accent, but I’m cute so people like me.

by Anonymousreply 15August 3, 2020 1:19 PM

Running fingers through the hair continuously.

Yelling continuously.

by Anonymousreply 16August 3, 2020 1:24 PM

Yes, over "reacting" and over emoting. A good actor on screen does micro-expressions, like William Petersen! He is a decent, two or three-note actor.

by Anonymousreply 17August 3, 2020 1:28 PM

Alfred Hitchcock once said in an interview that a good actor is someone who can do nothing well - meaning don't overact and incorporate a whole bunch of ticks in a performance.

While making Family Plot, Karen Black asked Hitch about adding something to the performance - I don't remember the particulars - and the director told her she could do whatever she wants, but to just remember there's a cutting room floor.

by Anonymousreply 18August 3, 2020 1:31 PM

Timothée Chalamet.

Very bad.

by Anonymousreply 19August 3, 2020 1:40 PM

TICK TICK TICK!

by Anonymousreply 20August 3, 2020 1:46 PM

You can tell in many of her more recent movies, Meryl is thinking so hard "how do I impersonate this person"; when is is on screen.

by Anonymousreply 21August 3, 2020 1:47 PM

Whenever Timothee Chalamet is on screen.

by Anonymousreply 22August 3, 2020 1:48 PM

But Brad is a smoker in real life, R1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 3, 2020 1:52 PM

Whispering every line in an overly breathy manner. Liv Tyler in Lord of the Rings was a big offender.

by Anonymousreply 24August 3, 2020 1:54 PM

[quote] Over-enunciating ... reciting lines as if they are being read rather than spoken in a normal manner and tone.

That's a huge problem in smaller countries (which produce only a handful of new movies each year) - since those places are too small to have professional film actors all film roles are played by classically trained stage actors who obviously don't realize how different the two medias are. Their manner of speaking sounds too formal and they rarely use colloquial language.

by Anonymousreply 25August 3, 2020 1:59 PM

Picking up a n the smoking thing from R1. When they simply keep the smoke in their mouth and then blow out their mouthful of smoke. If the character is a smoker, inhale goddammit.

by Anonymousreply 26August 3, 2020 2:03 PM

R21 yes. I thought she was particularly awful in The Iron Lady. “oh look, there’s Meryl Streep pretending you’re be Margaret Thatcher.” It was a terrific impersonation, but I’m not sure it was a performance.

by Anonymousreply 27August 3, 2020 2:06 PM

Rapidly blinking, like blink stuttering, when the character's meant to be emotionally disturbed in some way or upset.

by Anonymousreply 28August 3, 2020 2:08 PM

I wish actors and acting teachers would read this thread

by Anonymousreply 29August 3, 2020 2:10 PM

R27, I think her performance is more of a parody than anything else. And it was the same in Osage County, where Julia Roberts (yes, that Julia Roberts) outshined her.

by Anonymousreply 30August 3, 2020 2:11 PM

Rewatching VERSAILLES (2015, it’s on Netflix and it’s a campy mess), and the examples are glaring and countless. Even the most casual and uninterested viewer who doesn’t care about turkeys in their dramas must find this a slog.

Whatever is going on in this scene here, it’s particularly awful, but not being an actor or director myself I can’t tell exactly where the main problem of the many is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 3, 2020 2:14 PM

If you’re a regular smoker, the way you hold the cigarette, lift it to your lips, ash it, etc., all become second nature, unconscious gestures, as if the cigarette is an extension of the smoker’s person. Actors who are non smokers don’t have this comfort and familiarity with cigarettes and it’s usually pretty obvious.

Watch a pro, Jessica Lange. When she inhales, she takes her fingers off the cigarette and holds it with just her lips.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 3, 2020 2:21 PM

As a non professional I’d say awful wigs ( doesn’t do the credibility any good), the actors don’t seem comfortable i their outfits, the actors are mediocre at best. They seem to be too much aware they are pretending to be someone they’re not. I honestly couldn’t even watch the whole clip. It’s truly atrocious. They could also be dealing with a bad director who decided to keep the worst take of this scene(worst take acting wise).

by Anonymousreply 33August 3, 2020 2:22 PM

Meant for R31

by Anonymousreply 34August 3, 2020 2:23 PM

Jeanne Crain's entire career.

by Anonymousreply 35August 3, 2020 2:25 PM

When an actor is portraying fear, and all they do is breathe hard and pant loudly.

by Anonymousreply 36August 3, 2020 2:26 PM

R26, Now you tell me?

by Anonymousreply 37August 3, 2020 2:26 PM

Overly flared nostrils.

by Anonymousreply 38August 3, 2020 2:27 PM

R13 what a fascinating phrase. For the neophyte, what does that mean, exactly? Could you give an example?

by Anonymousreply 39August 3, 2020 2:32 PM

Actors who cannot cry believably.

by Anonymousreply 40August 3, 2020 2:34 PM

[quote] Overly flared nostrils.

I resent that remark!

by Anonymousreply 41August 3, 2020 2:55 PM

Kristen Stewart could do a MasterClass on how to make millions being a bad actor. Warning, once you watch the linked clip it will be difficult to ignore her tics and mannerisms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 3, 2020 3:00 PM

Mouth half open most of the time.

Tilting the end too often.

by Anonymousreply 43August 3, 2020 3:04 PM

R43 Dude!

by Anonymousreply 44August 3, 2020 9:07 PM

Zandra with a Zee

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 3, 2020 9:48 PM

Refusing to vote for Democrats

by Anonymousreply 46August 3, 2020 9:58 PM

Blank or dead eyes, especially during an intense scene. Yes, overreaction is bad, but so is the other extreme.

by Anonymousreply 47August 3, 2020 10:06 PM

Performing rather than behaving.

by Anonymousreply 48August 3, 2020 10:08 PM

Voting for anybody but Biden

by Anonymousreply 49August 3, 2020 10:20 PM

[quote] Madonna - blinking.

I think that's what "batting your eyelashes" refers to. I've seen men do it as well as women. Unless you have some kind of dry-eye medical condition, it looks vain, to me.

by Anonymousreply 50August 3, 2020 10:25 PM

I'm not a big fan of the smell-a-fart acting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 3, 2020 10:29 PM

Today's dramatic TV series require the actor to memorize long stretches of uninteresting dialog, the writers trying to show-off and win Emmys. I miss the days when actors had fewer but more memorable things to say, and you focused on their faces and mannerisms.

by Anonymousreply 52August 3, 2020 10:37 PM

Anything Carol Lynley ever did. Every choice she made was wrong. I wish somebody had offered her a bit of help - or maybe they did, and she was convinced she knew better.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 3, 2020 10:55 PM

R24 whispering in general! How often to people whisper in real life? Virtually never! Yet, in TV/film you frequently see actors whispering full scenes even when they are alone.

by Anonymousreply 54August 4, 2020 1:28 AM

*often do

by Anonymousreply 55August 4, 2020 1:29 AM

A frequent actor tic I see is clenching their teeth, exaggeratedly raise their upper lip and then gasp out all their lines through their top teeth when they're trying to emote.

Samara Weaving does this through the entirety of "Ready Or Not," to name a recent particularly egregious example.

by Anonymousreply 56August 4, 2020 1:33 AM

Meryl is fun to watch in part because she’s so actressy. She doesn’t act like normal people do, and I’m not sure that’s her goal. She pretends to be a character actor but she’s always wanted to be a star.

by Anonymousreply 57August 4, 2020 1:35 AM

I’m just gonna leave this right here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 4, 2020 1:35 AM

My entire on-screen film career presence.

by Anonymousreply 59August 4, 2020 3:02 AM

Repeatedly clenching and unclenching the jaw, to display angst.

by Anonymousreply 60August 4, 2020 5:06 AM

Acting with your eyebrows

by Anonymousreply 61August 4, 2020 5:13 AM

Being under the age of puberty and shoehorned into a formerly successful sitcom in its death throes.

by Anonymousreply 62August 4, 2020 5:16 AM

If you want insufferable eye blinks try Hugh Grant in anything. Also cutesy stuttering. "I think I may possibly l-l-l-love you."

by Anonymousreply 63August 4, 2020 5:24 AM

Elisabeth Moss. Everything.

by Anonymousreply 64August 4, 2020 5:29 AM

To those people just listing an actor’s name:

You’re not being cute, clever, or funny.

by Anonymousreply 65August 4, 2020 5:31 AM

Losing the Oscar 7 times.

by Anonymousreply 66August 4, 2020 5:36 AM

Watch any soap opera.

by Anonymousreply 67August 4, 2020 5:36 AM

Whatever R66 did in Floppy Poopy Turds or Celebrity Karaoke Night.

by Anonymousreply 68August 4, 2020 5:38 AM

Playing with fingers mostly done by young actresses is very amateur and distracting. People just nip at their fingertips and curl their fingers around together.

by Anonymousreply 69August 4, 2020 5:39 AM

People just DON'T*

by Anonymousreply 70August 4, 2020 5:41 AM

How do you think they got into this business?

by Anonymousreply 71August 4, 2020 5:42 AM

Ryan Murphy has had the daughters of Bette Midler, Streep, Carrie Fisher and now Glenn Close on his series. I guess to entice the mothers to work for him? He got Midler and Streep to work sign on.

by Anonymousreply 72August 4, 2020 5:44 AM

R32 She's great! I miss smoking :(

by Anonymousreply 73August 4, 2020 5:54 AM

Actors who carry over the same mannerisms from film to film. George Clooney for example does that slight head bob or facial tic thing. Maybe that’s just him naturally, but it makes it seem he’s the same in each role.

by Anonymousreply 74August 4, 2020 6:41 AM

[quote] If you want insufferable eye blinks try Hugh Grant in anything.

Interestingly, Hugh didn’t start out that way; watch his first few roles, and you won’t see him doing it much. He seemingly adopted it on purpose as a sort of cutesy gimmick after women went gaga for the Himbo act in NOTTING HILL etc.

It barely crops in MAURICE, thank goodness. Presumably he kept in it check because he was taking the role seriously in his earnest youth, and was well-directed, and hadn’t yet gone full-bore lazy drunken do-nothing reliant on tics and crutches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 4, 2020 12:29 PM

R72, and Julia Robert's niece. None of them great beauties. But that's not his purview.

Blythe Danner's hatchet faced daughter too, but that's his partner's fault.

by Anonymousreply 76August 4, 2020 12:53 PM

Looking at cue cards

by Anonymousreply 77August 4, 2020 1:04 PM

Marlon Brando - mumbling.

by Anonymousreply 78August 4, 2020 2:03 PM

Just watched again the making of 'The Shining' documentary. We see Kubrick giving notes to Shelley Duvall: 'Don't react so sharply to every line Jack says, it looks fake.' He says it softly, but he's reigning her in. (Deliberate undermining?)

Ironic in its way, as Duvall's performance turned out to be much more naturalistic than Jack's. Of course he was supposed to be half, then totally, possessed, but it still seemed too much, and jarred.

Best line about acting I ever read was Spencer Tracy's: 'Don't let them catch you acting.' If you can pull that off, you're ahead. Doesn't happen all the time by any means. But as the above suggests, even the best are at the mercy of The Director.

by Anonymousreply 79August 4, 2020 3:33 PM

^ Reining not reigning, Oh Dearing myself.

by Anonymousreply 80August 4, 2020 3:40 PM

[quote] Best line about acting I ever read was Spencer Tracy's: 'Don't let them catch you acting.' If you can pull that off, you're ahead.

That's a great description of the more "natural" type of acting that became popular from the 50s onwards. But not the stagey acting that was the standard before then.

by Anonymousreply 81August 4, 2020 6:20 PM

Definitely the stage actor thing. I was watching Patti LuPone in that Hollywood series and it's so obvious that she's more comfortable on stage than on camera. People get on her case for mumbling while she sings, but when she speaks, you can tell she had one too many diction classes at Julliard and it makes her sound weird. Annette Bening does the same thing, but she can be reigned in a bit from time to time.

On the other hand, the actors who mumble every line drive me nuts, too. We do need to hear what you're saying so the story makes sense.

Actors who rush to the big emotions immediately lose me as well. To me, crying on cue isn't much of a talent if it's not earned. Sometimes, it's more interesting to see someone struggling not to cry than bursting out into tears or screaming at their scene partner 4 lines into a scene. Let stuff build. It's more interesting. Also, if you peak too soon with the emotions, there's nowhere to go. If someone starts the movie screaming and crying and having a nervous breakdown, there's nowhere to build to. We've seen them at their worst. Unless it's a movie about someone returning back to normal after a psychotic break, it's probably not wise to start the performance with all the histrionics in the world.

by Anonymousreply 82August 4, 2020 6:43 PM

Passionate scenes where they kiss with their lips locked tight. Uh no, that gives away that you’re acting. Straight actors playing gay characters are known for this and I find it very distracting and unconvincing -regardless of how well they play the other *less intimate* scenes. Examples: Ruffalo in The “Normal Heart” (lips locked tight in the sex scene - not convincing on his part) vs. his twin D’Onofrio in “The Velocity of Gary” (no lip lock in phone sex scene - extremely convincing). Being able to *completely* lose yourself in the character is the hallmark of a good actor!

by Anonymousreply 83August 4, 2020 6:55 PM

I can NOT, I simply CAN NOT abide the absence of contractions to make one's point.

Not tat tall!

by Anonymousreply 84August 4, 2020 8:44 PM

Everyone that 'acts' in those smarmy Hallmark made for television movies, especially when it falls into their famous Christmas genre of filmdom.

by Anonymousreply 85August 4, 2020 9:40 PM

Tara Reid was in a Hallmark movie and didn't even exposer one of her breasts or fall down drunk!

by Anonymousreply 86August 4, 2020 9:50 PM

The consensus seems to be that an actor is supposed to be exactly like real-life people who are not acting.

by Anonymousreply 87August 4, 2020 9:55 PM

By that standard, there is no such thing as good acting. I have never, ever, ever forgotten that the people I am watching or just actors playing a part. No matter how hard they try, it always has some degree of falsity to it. It comes with the territory of pretending to be something you are not.

by Anonymousreply 88August 4, 2020 10:00 PM

Looking at the camera.

by Anonymousreply 89August 4, 2020 10:11 PM

Being yanked by a rope and suffering back pain for the rest of your life!

by Anonymousreply 90August 4, 2020 10:12 PM

Learning another accent and expecting yet another nomination.

by Anonymousreply 91August 4, 2020 10:13 PM

R88 = G

by Anonymousreply 92August 4, 2020 10:18 PM

Oh, stop it, M. You're not just overrated, you're threatened by other actresses. You're the reason Kate Jackson ended up living in a trailer. There was more than enough room in Hollywood for both of you, but no, that wasn't good enough. You had to drive her to ruin in addition to stealing [italic]Kramer vs. Kramer[/italic] where they gave you an Oscar just for playing yourself: a selfish woman who cares only about herself. At least the kid in that movie didn't die which is more than I can say for the one Sophie didn't choose.

But I do have to hand it to you: you beat Julie Andrews and went on to co-star in Angela Lansbury's worst film after Disney rewarded you for your little diatribe against Uncle Walt. But nobody can say you were miscast as a Wicked Witch in that Sondheim thing, even if your vocals needed some, let's just say, "Disney magic" before they were playable for the public. I didn't need it when I played Nellie Forbush 20 years ago; I was in Up With People, so I had more musical experience than you to begin with. But if you must insist on continuing to appear in musicals, there's no shame in consenting to being dubbed if you just can't sing. At least Marni Nixon didn't need autotune.

But unlike you, I never felt threatened by one of Charlie's Angels.

by Anonymousreply 93August 4, 2020 10:30 PM

When a scene calls for a kiss and one or both parties are not into it, so you can clearly see them aiming for the side of the mouth instead of the lips. I see what you’re doing and I’m sure everyone is else does too. Just kiss, it’s your job.

by Anonymousreply 94August 4, 2020 10:33 PM

R22 Meredith Baxter popped into my head for some reason - she's not even acting anymore as far as I know, but is totally guilty of the rapid blinking. She often looks like a nervous squirrel.

by Anonymousreply 95August 4, 2020 10:35 PM

R94 Yep!

by Anonymousreply 96August 4, 2020 10:35 PM

R93 G, I agree on some points but please! Kate Jackson has NEVER lived in a trailer.

by Anonymousreply 97August 9, 2020 1:43 PM

I love Robert Duvall but he has a mouth move that I hate. He shows disgust or thoughtfulness by sucking his front teeth. There's probably a name for this move.

Jonathan Banks in Better Call Saul overuses this move, also.

by Anonymousreply 98August 9, 2020 1:47 PM

Standing still, while flailing their arms about, in some lame attempt to conjure some sort of emotion out of a deadpan delivery. Hurts to see much more on stage than on screen.

by Anonymousreply 99August 9, 2020 2:07 PM

Zoe Kravitz

by Anonymousreply 100August 9, 2020 3:33 PM

Zoe was serviceable in Big Little Lies because she really wasn't the focus and her lack of acting ability really didn't distract from the whole thing.

I can see the urge to cast her in the High Fidelity series - she's beautiful, she can pull off a range of looks, she should be immediately cool given her parents, particularly her cool, musician father. But, she was just a complete dud trying to carry that whole thing. They should have had the nerdy, gay dude be the main character. If they were updating for diversity, he would have fulfilled that due to his sexuality. Zoe would have worked much better as a side character if she had to be included.

by Anonymousreply 101August 9, 2020 5:52 PM

I tried to warn you all about Dakota Fanning.

by Anonymousreply 102August 9, 2020 5:59 PM

Jessica Lange's guttural vocal fry whispering to convey toughness while falling apart, Sally Field always jutting out her fucking chin to make her seem "bigger" and the constant aside kind of talking that passes for acting if you're Sandra Bullock. All of these "traits" or gestures can be disarming and legitimate. But that's all those three actresses EVER do.

by Anonymousreply 103August 13, 2020 9:57 PM

^ Watch Sally Field in SYBIL. It's on Dvd. She's great in it. And the delicious Brad Davis too.

by Anonymousreply 104August 13, 2020 10:31 PM

What's a DVD? Or a Brad Davis.

by Anonymousreply 105August 13, 2020 10:33 PM

It's a thing you can hold in your hand, like Brad Davis's corpse.

by Anonymousreply 106August 13, 2020 10:35 PM

I once held Brad Pitt's hard round ass in my hand, back in 2003 when it was super fine. True. I still won't watch his movies. Sally Field is just too much to ask. She can act for the back row, I believe. But I don't have to watch her attempts. Never heard of Brad Davis.

by Anonymousreply 107August 13, 2020 10:42 PM

Beautiful dead bisexual Brad Davis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108August 13, 2020 11:14 PM

What kind of porn did Brad David do? Was he from the Al Parker era? They all died of AIDS, I think. I saw a 20 minute video of more dead porn stars than there are in the heavens. RIP Brad David.

by Anonymousreply 109August 13, 2020 11:56 PM

Your agreeing to let your agent sign you up for a role playing in a film with or opposite Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 110August 14, 2020 3:06 AM

All of Clooney’s mannerisms. He really is a mediocre actor who coasted on charm.

by Anonymousreply 111August 14, 2020 4:32 AM

^ Very true.

by Anonymousreply 112August 14, 2020 4:34 AM

Clooney made a hit with viewers as bad boy Doug who helped save little Erik Von Detten who almost drown in a sewer in Chicago; once freed from the water, Erik's character was being flown to a hospital in a copter, but Doug performed surgery or something on the ride over knowing the kid wouldn't make it otherwise.

At the end, despite little Erik having a dad, Doug makes a date with the kid to go see a cubs game; or maybe the white sox.

I really don't know football.

by Anonymousreply 113August 14, 2020 11:23 PM

But Clooney knows how to smile and act like her cares about a kid.

So...the Oscar was inevitable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114August 14, 2020 11:31 PM

[quote]Kate Jackson has NEVER lived in a trailer.

I lived in a van down by the side of the river.

by Anonymousreply 115August 14, 2020 11:38 PM

Stealing someone else's role and winning an Oscar for it.

by Anonymousreply 116August 14, 2020 11:40 PM

Meryl, breathing.

by Anonymousreply 117August 15, 2020 3:07 AM

I heard the key to good acting is in the eyes when the focus of the scene is not on them.

by Anonymousreply 118August 15, 2020 3:04 PM

I just watched an Another World reunion on the Locher Room; Alicia Coppolla (sp?) said when she was leaving AW as Lorna, Charles Keating advised her: always remember to act from your cunt.

by Anonymousreply 119August 19, 2020 4:53 AM

Inconsistent accents—Helen Hunt in both of her Oscar-nominated roles and Jennifer Lawrence in American Hustle. They go from the attempted accent to their regular speaking voices, sometimes in the same sentence.

Nicole Kidman is guilty of this any time she has to play an American.

by Anonymousreply 120August 19, 2020 5:02 AM

Any good actor is capable of giving a bad performance.

Out of morbid curiosity, I watched (most of) a Meryl Streep movie, STILL OF THE NIGHT (1982). It's dreadful, and she's dreadful in it. It's barely student-level acting, alternately indicating "nervous," "frightened," "confused." (Her cigarette smoking is a minus, strictly amateur night.) There's not much character in the script to play (I assume) and... she doesn't.

I hated her performances in MAMMA MIA and FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS (two terrible movies. IMHO) because I found her absurdly overblown and over-the-top, but I've never seen her give such a wan, half-hearted, wimpy performance as in this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 19, 2020 5:30 AM

"I wish actors and acting teachers would read this thread"

Most of the actors trashed in this thread are people who studied acting and are admired by acting teachers everywhere (like Meryl Streep). Some of the posts are good but others are along the lines of "Let me just name actors I don't like, even ones who are respected by actors everywhere"

by Anonymousreply 122August 19, 2020 5:36 AM

R122 being famous or having gone to drama school doesn’t necessarily make one a good actor. Lousy scripts and bad directors can make good actors look bad too.

The most annoying thing imo is that people get roles because they look good to the mainstream audience.

by Anonymousreply 123August 19, 2020 3:17 PM

R122 being famous or having gone to drama school doesn’t necessarily make one a good actor. Lousy scripts and bad directors can make good actors look bad too.

The most annoying thing imo is that people get roles because they look good to the mainstream audience.

by Anonymousreply 124August 19, 2020 3:18 PM

A bad script can sink even the best actors. Put Streep in The Room or Troll 2 and watch how bad she can get. You think she's going elevate something like that? She might be able to be the least offensive part of it, but that's not going to help in the long run.

It's why I'm always so amused by actors who are so insecure that they only want to play the lead and they want to make sure all the other actors around them are less talented and/or attractive so it makes them look better. It ends up hurting the project in the long run and no one's going to want to see it, so they're shooting themselves in the foot.

by Anonymousreply 125August 19, 2020 5:32 PM

The inconsistent accent thing drives me nuts. Just don't have an accent and write something into the script that excuses it if it's really important.

by Anonymousreply 126August 19, 2020 5:33 PM

[quote]Inconsistent accents—Helen Hunt in both of her Oscar-nominated roles and Jennifer Lawrence in American Hustle. They go from the attempted accent to their regular speaking voices, sometimes in the same sentence.

Ditto to this. Lawrence was crazy-funny in HUSTLE, a movie badly in need of that, but her Lawn Guyland accent was really sloppy and mostly inauthentic. But the critics seemed to think she and everything was doing was just adorable.

I mostly hated Hunt's turn in AS GOOD AS IT GETS. Enough said. I never saw THE SESSIONS. What does a "good" Helen Hunt performance look like?

by Anonymousreply 127August 20, 2020 8:58 PM

A post-script re: AMERICAN HUSTLE... was Amy Adams' English accent intended to be terrible? It would make sense that a former stripper from Podunk would speak that way; OTOH, she has all the other leads convinced that she is, in fact, titled and English. Regardless, her accent is beyond terrible.

By contrast, the other leads: particularly Cooper and Renner, are pretty convincing doing their outer-borough/NJ thing. That's an accent every actor seems to think they can pull off, but many can't.

by Anonymousreply 128August 20, 2020 9:03 PM

"Thoughtful pauses" when an actor speaks, especially if the pauses are constant and placed so close together a boring pattern develops. Just spit it out, Junior!!!!

by Anonymousreply 129August 20, 2020 9:16 PM

Al Pacino's southern accent in "Scent of a Woman" was ridiculous and ruined his performance (along with his hamminess).

by Anonymousreply 130August 24, 2020 3:53 AM

I haven't really believed (or enjoyed) an Al Pacino performance since THE GODFATHER, so there you are.

I still recall him onstage in that woeful production of SALOME (which some people raved over): one of the most over-the-top, shoutiest, most annoying theatre performances I've ever seen. Marisa Tomei wasn't especially great, but she was a genius in the title role by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 131August 24, 2020 5:04 AM

Actors that should really stick with TV. Usually only have 2 emotions. They don't have the range for the big screen. And frankly we don't want to pay big money to see them. Bryan Cranston and Jon Hamm, you listening.

by Anonymousreply 132August 24, 2020 5:48 AM

(R131) that's what happens when you go see a play where the leading man is a cokehead.

by Anonymousreply 133August 24, 2020 5:52 AM

Laziness. See Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, Jeff Bridges. Are they bored? Because I am.

by Anonymousreply 134August 24, 2020 6:09 AM

R132 - A good example of this is Heather Locklear in Uptown Girls. Yes the movie is a bit of fluff but Brittany Murphy wipes poor Heather off the screen in their big scene together.

by Anonymousreply 135August 24, 2020 7:49 AM

Shaking your head back and forth all the time while saying your lines.

Telegraphing your screen partner's line with your reaction to it before they're actually done saying it.

Smirking, inappropriate smiling.

by Anonymousreply 136August 24, 2020 9:20 AM

The acting and enunciation in German movies is usually always bad. Nobody talks like that.

by Anonymousreply 137August 24, 2020 10:14 AM

Yes I have noticed the smiling. The only example that comes to mind is Eizabeth Franz who is always smiling in the role I have seen her in. Eileen Brennan's smiling in Private Benjamin is possibly an example of smiling as a choice to conceal a threat.

by Anonymousreply 138August 24, 2020 12:39 PM

Always letting your mouth hang open like Miss Sally Field.

by Anonymousreply 139August 24, 2020 3:46 PM

The overacting one saw in 'Fences': Viola Davis especially and Denzel Washington.

I am wary of adaptations of plays, because they often do not have a very cinematic atmosphere and the actors act like they are on a stage and not in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 140August 24, 2020 4:16 PM

Constance Ford was known for cue-card reading on "Another World", but she still could do it without always being obvious. The writer would give her speeches, and she'd cut it down to one line which he knew was right after it was done. She also looked up at the booth after rehearsal and said, "Whatever the fuck that means" after actually going through with a speech. I love actors like that!

by Anonymousreply 141August 24, 2020 4:38 PM

I was watching that Frank Langella Dracula last week and was so distracted by his eyes. They kept darting back and forth to the left and right in every one of his closeups and I kept wondering if his co-stars were moving back and forth or something, but it'd cut back to them and they were standing or sitting totally still.

I'm not sure if it was something he was doing for the character, but it was really weird and I've seen it with other actors before.

by Anonymousreply 142August 24, 2020 7:00 PM

^Every time I see Frank Langella in anything, I’m just like, “oh, he’s tired again”.

by Anonymousreply 143August 24, 2020 7:14 PM

[quote] I am wary of adaptations of plays, because they often do not have a very cinematic atmosphere and the actors act like they are on a stage and not in a movie.

R140’s comment makes me think of THE 24TH DAY.

I actually enjoy it as a film, but am aware that is probably isn’t a good adaptation of the original play.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144August 24, 2020 7:20 PM

no examples come to mind, but like a politician once said about pr0n: "i know what it is when i see it".

by Anonymousreply 145August 24, 2020 7:23 PM

A lot of bad acting can be put down to bad directing and bad blocking...that clip from Versailles above is a perfect example. The directed wanted the two actors to be filmed with the wrap around camera bit and then move to the bench. Completely unnatural movement for the dialogue, in fact it was intrusive and the audience loses track of the conversation.

by Anonymousreply 146August 24, 2020 7:46 PM

Heather Graham is one of the hottest women ever, but her acting on Sex and the City is shockingly bad from beginning to end.

by Anonymousreply 147August 24, 2020 9:08 PM

Whatever it is Aaron Taylor-Johnson does.

by Anonymousreply 148September 3, 2020 9:11 PM

George Clooney's head bobbing thing.

by Anonymousreply 149September 3, 2020 9:13 PM

No expression, robotic voice, stiff. The kids on The Waltons were all like that!

by Anonymousreply 150September 3, 2020 9:16 PM

That, is a craven, grave insult, sir!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151September 3, 2020 9:32 PM

Yelling your lines. We know you've been phoning it in for a long time, Mr Pacino.

by Anonymousreply 152September 3, 2020 10:55 PM

Any thoughts on Alan Arkin's acting style?

by Anonymousreply 153September 3, 2020 11:14 PM

I hate her 'smoking and picking tobacco off my tongue because this is a period piece, set before cigs had filters' bit Jessica Lange trots out . Without fail. I wait for it now.

by Anonymousreply 154September 4, 2020 1:17 AM

Actors who lick their fingers when eating. No matter what food is involved, if it touches their hands, the fingers are sure to get licked.

by Anonymousreply 155September 4, 2020 1:21 AM

Yes, yelling your lines, screaming your lines, etc. As on every single Laverne and Shirley episode! I'm not a fan of loud, frantic "comedy".

by Anonymousreply 156September 4, 2020 1:23 AM

I find most bad performances are due to either bad script writing or bad directing. I judge a movie as bad if "Oh, Shit!"is considered acceptable dialogue by the writer/director.

by Anonymousreply 157September 4, 2020 1:24 AM

An addendum to "head-shaking intensity" as a shorthand for actual acting talent:

Do not "act" with your hair. Flinging angrily, tossing mischievously, fingering it seductively. Many women have traditionally been guilty of this (see index: Parker, Sarah Jessica) but some men are notorious as well (see Grant, Hugh and Reeves, Keanu).

Do not "act" with your chin or your nose (see Danes, Claire or back in the day, Nelson, Judd of the flaring nostrils).

Drastic weight loss or weight gain for a role? We admire your commitment. Now try "acting" the role.

by Anonymousreply 158September 4, 2020 2:31 AM

[quote]Lousy scripts and bad directors can make good actors look bad too.

I tried telling LB that, but he wouldn't listen.

"Hollywood royalty".

by Anonymousreply 159September 4, 2020 3:31 AM

Renee Zellweger using her voice in films in which she's cast?

by Anonymousreply 160September 4, 2020 4:09 AM

Zellweger is a sometimes a very fine actress. And she's very capable of surprise. This idea that everyone must disappear into a role is nonsense. As Bette Davis said " Good acting is hard work and the work must sometimes show. "

by Anonymousreply 161September 4, 2020 4:14 AM

Nicolas Cage facial expressions. Thread closed!

by Anonymousreply 162September 4, 2020 4:17 AM

R5 Aside from the fact that it's badly written (and I love Wes Craven), Neve Campbell is the main reason I hate all of the films in the "Scream" series. She can't act. Her adorable brother Christian really should've been bigger than her, career-wise.

by Anonymousreply 163September 4, 2020 4:26 AM

(R163) Thank you. Always thought she was a horrible actress too. People always ask why she didn't make it really big, there was a reason.

by Anonymousreply 164September 4, 2020 4:39 AM

Having the names "Jennifer" and "Lawrence".

by Anonymousreply 165September 4, 2020 4:42 AM

Pushing forward your lower jaw to indicate intense emotion.

by Anonymousreply 166September 4, 2020 4:46 AM

Putting unexpected. Full stops into. Your sentences.

by Anonymousreply 167September 4, 2020 4:47 AM

Everything sharon stone did in an effectively subtle way (yes subtle) in “Basic Instinct “ she did in a horribly arch, telegraphing, mannered, over-the-top way in “Basic Instinct 2”. What a self sabotage that shit movie was.

by Anonymousreply 168September 4, 2020 4:48 AM

R163 R164 I agree, but I do like her in her small part in the musical of Reefer Madness with her brother Cristian. He's great in it and so are Alan Cumming, Steven Weber, and Kristen Bell. The film should be a DL must see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169September 4, 2020 4:50 AM

Furiously and dramatically squirting ketchup on your fries.

by Anonymousreply 170September 4, 2020 4:51 AM

Self-conscious self-touching. This appears to have come from the Actors Studio to present real behavior but it just reads as fidgety. One of the worst offenders is Geraldine Page. Just stop it.

by Anonymousreply 171September 4, 2020 5:33 AM

Geraldine Page has stopped.

by Anonymousreply 172September 4, 2020 5:49 AM

[quote] One of the worst offenders is Geraldine Page. Just stop it.

I did, in 1987 hon.

by Anonymousreply 173September 4, 2020 5:55 AM

I still won an Oscar, you cunts!

by Anonymousreply 174September 4, 2020 8:23 PM

Rafael Alencar is not believable in his ASS scenes. I'm sorry, I won't apologize.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175September 5, 2020 3:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!