Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET Top Gun

It's on Hulu, and I'm watching it for the first time in 20 years. I know everyone knows it is homoerotic, but that is an understatement. This shit is flaming! But surely it was not made that way for a gay audience.

What's the deal with this movie, and why doesn't DL ever at least mock it?

by Anonymousreply 71August 4, 2020 6:38 PM

All of Tammys 80s movies are so campy and bizarre but I agree Top Gun is straight up gay. My favourite is Cocktail where he dreams of becoming a millionaire by tending bar.

by Anonymousreply 1August 3, 2020 2:41 AM

It’s interesting to note how they kept trying to disguise that Kelly MacGillis is taller than him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 3, 2020 2:49 AM

And had a bigger dick....

by Anonymousreply 3August 3, 2020 2:50 AM

It's funny I just watched it recently too. I realized how bad it was. I just remember how big it was in the 80s. But so was Mannequin, St. Elmo's Fire, etc. A bunch of movies that have not held up well. I think we had low standards back then.

by Anonymousreply 4August 3, 2020 2:53 AM

Mannequin, LOL.

by Anonymousreply 5August 3, 2020 2:54 AM

Who would have thought he would become such a creepy joke now? Still using the same pointless action movie formula in his 60's.

by Anonymousreply 6August 3, 2020 2:56 AM

It's flaming and also awful. People love this movie for myriad reasons - the 80s-ness; the soundtrack, the camp. But, it's pretty terrible.

by Anonymousreply 7August 3, 2020 2:57 AM

I remember most of the scenes with Val kilmer AKA Ice were totally gay.

by Anonymousreply 8August 3, 2020 2:58 AM

Val was hot in this. Smoldering!

by Anonymousreply 9August 3, 2020 3:02 AM

It is so gay it circles back around to being straight again.

by Anonymousreply 10August 3, 2020 3:06 AM

Val kilmer was once a damn fine looking man. I always thought he was better looking than Tom.

by Anonymousreply 11August 3, 2020 3:07 AM

Way better than Tom.

Is it better to have once been hot and completely lose it, or never be not; just average and stay average?

by Anonymousreply 12August 3, 2020 3:09 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*

I would say the latter. Losing one’s hotness can be devastating to those who can’t handle aging gracefully.

by Anonymousreply 13August 3, 2020 3:14 AM

Tony Scott made some really visually interesting yet utterly tacky shite movies.

by Anonymousreply 14August 3, 2020 3:19 AM

Will the sequel be equally gay?

by Anonymousreply 15August 3, 2020 3:21 AM

If the sequel is any gayer they will have to screen it in the mens room.

by Anonymousreply 16August 3, 2020 3:24 AM

I just think it's funny that they are having dogfights with commies but not in a war zone. If the Chinese started attacking us like that we would probably nuke half the planet.

by Anonymousreply 17August 3, 2020 3:30 AM

I remember my date and I laughed our heads off when Kelly was introduced as a PhD in Astrophysics

by Anonymousreply 18August 3, 2020 3:31 AM

I would say Tammy's not looking so good either. He gets any more filters he's going to look like Wayne Newton.

by Anonymousreply 19August 3, 2020 3:32 AM

Weird to think that the Navy guys who did all the flying in the movie are all drawing Social Security now, but we still have to watch Tammy be a super duper action hero.

by Anonymousreply 20August 3, 2020 3:34 AM

Tammy is the world's oldest fighter pilot

by Anonymousreply 21August 3, 2020 3:41 AM

A friend of mine acted with Anjelica Jolie and said she was perfectly nice, and GOOD.

by Anonymousreply 22August 3, 2020 3:57 AM

Oooops.... wrong thread.

I sound demented!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 3, 2020 3:59 AM

Even when it came out, i called it "Top Gun Modeling School".

by Anonymousreply 24August 3, 2020 4:02 AM

Goooooooooooose!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 3, 2020 4:15 AM

He waited too long to do the sequel. The trailer made me laugh. And I wasn't the only one in the theater laughing.

by Anonymousreply 26August 3, 2020 4:16 AM

My partner was a navy pilot during this time - he said it was extremely accurate and the best film at depicting the life and attitudes. Or at least until that time.

I also noticed how often Kelly was in flats and Tom was clearly standing on some sort of platform to make him look taller.

by Anonymousreply 27August 3, 2020 5:36 AM

I loved Top Gun. Cocktail as well. The bar where they shot the movie in NYC unfortunately didn't survive the fucking virus. It never reopened after the lockdown.

I wanted to be a Navy Pilot after watching this movie...apparently so did many people. The Navy said they received soooo many applicants after that movie came out.

by Anonymousreply 28August 3, 2020 5:44 AM

I knew Kelly McGillis was a lesbian before even she did. Watching Top Gun, it's like she's Tom's butch friend and he's totally gay.

by Anonymousreply 29August 3, 2020 6:11 AM

[quote]Is it better to have once been hot and completely lose it, or never be not; just average and stay average?

Definitely the latter. When you've always been average, aging is much easier to bear. The hot, beautiful people (both male and female) have a helluva time dealing with not turning heads anymore and looking older. After 40 it's usually a shitshow.

by Anonymousreply 30August 3, 2020 6:14 AM

So many of those films from about 1985 to 1989 haven't aged well. All about the hero being the best and getting all the glory. Rocky IV, Top Gun, Cocktail, The Secret of My Success, Thrashin', etc. Yeah, the hero puts in some work but because he's good looking and the star of the movie, he HAS to win. There was always some montage of him working out or getting ready for a battle, or a montage of clips of the hero sulking when things are down over a power ballad. All before the hero, of course, triumphs. Having said that, I still love watching these films for nostalgia reasons.

Interesting how Anthony Edwards and Meg Ryan only have about two short scenes together and they have more chemistry than Cruise and McGillis. You totally believe the moment Meg gets off the plane that she and Anthony are a couple.

by Anonymousreply 31August 3, 2020 6:18 AM

^^because Meg and Anthony were actually heterosexual IRL. Unlike Kelly and Tammy.

by Anonymousreply 32August 3, 2020 6:19 AM

Yeah, R27, the movie was basically made by the Navy. Somehow they also managed to infuse it with their gayness.

by Anonymousreply 33August 3, 2020 11:41 AM

One nice song, lots of homoerotism and sweaty young Tom

by Anonymousreply 34August 3, 2020 12:09 PM

My dad used to tell me the soundtrack was "Communist music" which always confused me.

by Anonymousreply 35August 3, 2020 12:13 PM

Donna Summer shouldn't have turned down Take My Breath Away. Just like she shouldn't have turned down Flashdance (What A Feeling). Just like she shouldn't have turned down I've Had The Time of My Life. Damn, she made bad decisions in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 36August 3, 2020 1:15 PM

I still like Take My Breath Away.

by Anonymousreply 37August 3, 2020 1:18 PM

Seriously r36. Donna Summer was offered several songs that became enormous hits. She also turned down I've Had the Time Of My Life, among a few others. She really shot herself in the foot in the 80s, because she could've been the Queen Of Movie Soundtracks with all the hits she was offered but for whatever reasons turned down.

by Anonymousreply 38August 3, 2020 1:52 PM

I have the soundtrack.

I just know that everybody was wearing the bomber jacket after that movie came out.

When I saw the movie again years later, I wondered...it's so fucking hot in FL, why would he need a leather bomber jacket? lol.

They all looked very hot, all in their prime.

by Anonymousreply 39August 3, 2020 3:58 PM

R39 - it wasn't filmed in Florida and the school isn't in Florida. It's in San Diego - which can have a slight chill at night. Particularly in the winter.

The school was in Miramar neighborhood of SD. It doesn't really ever get too hot there - unlike Florida.

by Anonymousreply 40August 3, 2020 4:08 PM

bros of a certain age, among themselves, can quote from the dialogue in this movie chapter and verse just as they can from The Godfather.

i have no idea if they are doing it ironically, or seriously. probably a bit of both.

we "watched" this movie at the drive-in. actually, i watched none of it because my relatives knew the projectionist and he allowed us into his temple, where he explained stuff about film and soundtracks and things like that, most of which i do not remember but i found fascinating at the time, whereas the movie itself was a boring shitshow to me.

by Anonymousreply 41August 3, 2020 4:13 PM

The reason why Donna probably turned them down was because she was a religious nut and the '80s were the decade when she was first experiencing the first phase of her Born Again transformation. So, yes, a song like Take My Breath Away was probably too sexual for her.

And it wasn't just the '80s. In the late '90s, she recorded Love On and On for the 54 soundtrack but didn't want it included because there were sex and drugs in the movie. What did she think was going to be in the movie? Pink elephants and lemonade?

When Demon Music won the rights to reissue her music, they agreed to change their name - on Donna's reissues only - to "Driven by the Music" because she didn't want her name associated with the devil.

I love Donna's music, but she was fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 42August 3, 2020 4:15 PM

I still love Tom Cruise, he would be my perfect pocket gay.

I know, I'm the only one that thinks this way.

by Anonymousreply 43August 3, 2020 4:40 PM

She could've been the female Kenny Loggins of the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 44August 3, 2020 4:40 PM

It's got a remake coming out with Scott Glenn.

OP is really out of it and probably only learned about TOP GUN from the Herman Cain iPod thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 3, 2020 4:51 PM

r42 you're probably right. Donna's born-again Jesus shit really derailed her career in the 80s. She missed out on some great songs that became monster hits. Didn't Giorgio Moroder refuse to work with her for years because of all her Jesus this and Jesus that bullshit?

by Anonymousreply 46August 3, 2020 4:54 PM

I knew somebody would think I didn't know what Top Gun was or that a remake was coming. The WHET was regarding the movie being a topic of discussion at DL.

Didn't know Scott Glenn was on board. Still a nope though.

by Anonymousreply 47August 3, 2020 5:23 PM

You guys are forgetting that Donna had a husband and children. Maybe she was just sick of the music scene. Maybe she was just burned out. She was an amazing artist. Very sad she died of cancer. I wish she had been alive to see herself get inducted into the Rock and roll Hall of Fame. I think the songs of Top Gun have held up better than the movie. I just wish we weren't still stuck with Tom Cruise.

by Anonymousreply 48August 3, 2020 5:47 PM

If the cheesy 80s movies the music in this holds up better than most. I can’t even watch St Elmos Fire without laughing at the music especially Man in Motion

by Anonymousreply 49August 3, 2020 6:01 PM

R48, she wasn't sick of the music scene, she was sick of making disco music. She released 6 albums in the 1980s and recorded another one that was shelved in between turning down songs that would've made a great second act for her.

by Anonymousreply 50August 3, 2020 6:04 PM

And the horrible 80s soundtrack videos. It would show the artist and then it would show the movie. Show the artist and then show the movie. I think that's when they only spent like a couple hundred dollars on them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 3, 2020 6:12 PM

Watching St. Elmo's Fire, you just want to slap the shit out of every one of those entitled cunts.

by Anonymousreply 52August 3, 2020 6:32 PM

"I feel the need... the need for demon seed!" **high-fives**

by Anonymousreply 53August 3, 2020 7:22 PM

Some of my earliest memories included my dad and his friends loving this movie (best friend was a Marine and others were Navy). It was particularly exciting at the time (from what they said) due to the dogfights and jet filming that had never been done. The gay undertones (Hell, OVERtones) seem to have been lost of married straight men who were caught up in the fighter planes. Let's face it - the soundtrack is still quite amazing to this day - 80's or not. Berlin hit it big with Take My Breath Away - still an all-time favorite of mine. They won the Academy Award for the song that year and frankly it was the only real hit that the group ever had. This particular song was so successful that it has been in steady airplay ever since. Top Gun was really well filmed and produced and the screenplay was gripping enough to keep most viewers engaged throughout. I can see why it was a hit - cheesy or not. The eye candy (not Cruise for me personally) certainly doesn't hurt. Most gay men can identify at least one of those gorgeous young guys that they want to molest.

by Anonymousreply 54August 3, 2020 7:42 PM

Astrophysics, Astroglide. Tamayto, tomahto, R18.

by Anonymousreply 55August 3, 2020 8:03 PM

When I was a hospice nurse in San Diego, I took care of a man who had 4 grown sons, all very loving and supportive of him and each other. After some banter among them, the hunkiest of them admitted he was a former fighter pilot who’d worked on the movie, and had been the real “Goose,” whom the character in the movie was based on.

(Frankly, I’ve never seen the movie; still haven’t.)

It was great when these men would hug me when leaving, in thanks for my work with their father. Working in hospice can have its perks.

by Anonymousreply 56August 3, 2020 8:27 PM

More like Bottom Gun, amirite?

by Anonymousreply 57August 3, 2020 8:29 PM

Supposedly the new one has a good song like Berlin. I seriously doubt that. You can't go back in time. It was a big movie because it came out at just the right time. The guys were all young, we were young.

by Anonymousreply 58August 3, 2020 8:32 PM

R58, I'm still young, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 59August 3, 2020 9:22 PM

I was seven years old when this movie came out. I am now old enough that I could have grandchildren.

by Anonymousreply 60August 3, 2020 10:35 PM

Yes, Donna had a husband and kids, but she also had just signed a huge deal with Geffen Records at the start of the '80s. The Wanderer was her first record with them. It did okay but nowhere near the blockbuster heights of Bad Girls or On the Radio. She had product to put out.

She and Giorgio worked together again on I'm A Rainbow. The album was shelved by David Geffen and she was paired with Quincy Jones, presumably because of the huge success Jones had producing Michael Jackson and George Benson (and Jones' own album, The Dude). I have never heard that Moroder didn't want to work with her again, but it's not hard to guess that it was easier for him to work with artists like Irene Cara because she probably didn't have the same hang-ups about subject matters as Donna did. However, if you listen to Irene Cara's 1983 album, What a Feelin', you can definitely hear Donna singing those Moroder-produced songs, and they're pretty chaste anyway. Another reason they didn't work together again in the '80s is Summer found Michael Omartian, who produced her blockbuster anthem She Works Hard for the Money (interestingly, that song/album were released on Casablanca Records because Donna still owed Casablanca another album as part of her leaving Casablanca and going to Geffen deal. David Geffen was pissed because She Works Hard for the Money was bigger than any of her Geffen singles, and he wrongly assumed that Omartian producing her next album on Geffen would be a hit - it wasn't).

Romeo, one of the songs from I'm a Rainbow, did make the Flashdance soundtrack (again, released on Casablanca and although not officially released as a single it was very popular) and it fits in perfectly with Moroder's other songs. It's ridiculous that Donna didn't fight to work with Moroder again. She probably would have had an Oscar and, like others have said, she would have been soundtrack queen for the '80s. The other thing is she and Moroder basically created the template of '80s pop. HIs sound was over so much of the first half of the '80s (Laura Branigan, Irene Cara, even Madonna). She would have fit right in with Top Gun.

And, no doubt, she didn't want to sing I've Had the Time of My Life because of the title Dirty Dancing.

Donna did sing a few film themes in the '90s - for Pokemon and the Sylvester Stallone movie, Daylight.

by Anonymousreply 61August 3, 2020 10:47 PM

Yeah, she really had poor career judgement in the 80s. I don't understand why artists who had massive success and made a ton of money with certain collaborators suddenly part ways. Why don't they stay together to keep churning out the hits? Donna's career really never recovered.

by Anonymousreply 62August 3, 2020 11:04 PM

The whole movie was nothing but a two hour recruitment ad for the Navy. Utterly ridiculous.

I did like the Danger Zone song, tho. And the volleyball scene.

by Anonymousreply 63August 3, 2020 11:09 PM

R36, The Motels were offered “Take My Breath Away” too. In fact they recorded a demo with Giorgio Miroder.

by Anonymousreply 64August 3, 2020 11:16 PM

I can't imagine playing beach volleyball in skintight jeans. What is that shit?

by Anonymousreply 65August 3, 2020 11:33 PM

And then going to someone's house where you've never been before and then just saying you're going to use their shower - without asking.

So rude!

by Anonymousreply 66August 3, 2020 11:49 PM

They don't call him Maverick for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 67August 4, 2020 12:05 AM

I love to take 🚿

by Anonymousreply 68August 4, 2020 12:08 AM

Yes, I DO mind.

I'm hungry!

by Anonymousreply 69August 4, 2020 12:45 AM

I can't wait to watch the sequel

by Anonymousreply 70August 4, 2020 6:24 PM

R69 If she had been hungry for cock she would have showered with him

by Anonymousreply 71August 4, 2020 6:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!