Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gay senator suffers torrent of ‘blatantly homophobic’ abuse for wearing a Speedo

A gay senator in Ireland has put his social media accounts on private after he was subjected to “blatantly homophobic” abuse from a right-wing political party.

Socially conservative political party Aontú, which was formed in 2019 and has just one elected representative, shared a photograph of gay Sinn Féin senator Fintan Warfield, which was taken from his personal Instagram account. The photo showed Warfield wearing a Speedo along with a t-shirt bearing a picture of Pope Francis.

“Why is a Sinn Féin senator purposely seeking to offend people’s religious beliefs?” the tweet said.

Aontú deleted the tweet on 31 July following a barrage of criticism, with many accusing the party of targeting Warfield because of his sexuality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 5, 2020 12:23 AM

I’m going to need to see the Speedo pic.

by Anonymousreply 1August 2, 2020 5:43 PM

You asked for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 2, 2020 5:46 PM

It's not that bad. It's not great but it's OK.

by Anonymousreply 3August 2, 2020 5:47 PM

That a very cute look. I approve.

by Anonymousreply 4August 2, 2020 5:49 PM

Awful dress sense. Check.

Outstretched arm. Check.

Ramp model pose. Check.

Pout. Check.

Just another gay looking silly in a Speedo.

Where's the fire?

by Anonymousreply 5August 2, 2020 5:51 PM

Not wise

by Anonymousreply 6August 2, 2020 5:55 PM

It looks like he got photobombed by an alien. It's between his legs, so it may not be the problem it would usually be.

by Anonymousreply 7August 2, 2020 5:56 PM

Tying his shirt in a knot is a worse crime than the speedo.

YOU ARE NOT DAISY DUKE.

by Anonymousreply 8August 2, 2020 5:56 PM

Is he single? Top or bottom?

by Anonymousreply 9August 2, 2020 5:58 PM

Umm - hello? The girlie tying of a tshirt with Pope John Paul on it? I can't see what it says - but yeah, consider your role in Catholic Ireland.

This is not professional behavior from a politician. Or even someone who works in IT. This was designed to create a backlash. He knew what he was doing.

by Anonymousreply 10August 2, 2020 6:04 PM

Thank God there was no internet in my day.

by Anonymousreply 11August 2, 2020 6:07 PM

Think of what the Internet would've done to me, with the bathtub incident.

by Anonymousreply 12August 2, 2020 6:09 PM

He is super-cute (more in the pic at OP than in the speedo photo). I'll comfort him.

by Anonymousreply 13August 2, 2020 8:20 PM

ROFLMAO at r7. I had to go back and look several times, then I laughed and laughed. I agree that the knotted t-shirt is a fail - (probably meant to show off his abs)

Finton is actually extremely handsome and well-spoken. I looked this interview up on youtube, and I was impressed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 2, 2020 10:05 PM

I believe that the abuse was for that hideous t-shirt.

by Anonymousreply 15August 2, 2020 10:26 PM

He's very handsome, and he has the sweetest and gentlest voice; but if you're going to pose in a Speedo for a selfie and circulate it, you should be better built than he is.

by Anonymousreply 16August 2, 2020 10:30 PM

[quote] I can't see what it says

R10, it says: "Cead mile failte [meaning: a hundred thousand welcomes, aka, glad to see you!]

Pope Francis"

by Anonymousreply 17August 2, 2020 10:44 PM

Fintan is Standing Up for Trans Youth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 2, 2020 10:47 PM

Why in the world we he think posting that pic would be a good idea?

by Anonymousreply 19August 2, 2020 10:56 PM

R19 I agree and wonder about his judgment. I don't care about his Speedo as would most everyone else. But he must have known that wearing a JPII T-Shirt with it would cause a pushback. It would be like wearing an LBTGQ flag T-shirt over a KKK uniform and mask.

by Anonymousreply 20August 2, 2020 11:28 PM

Just wait until they catch him wearing white after Labor Day.

by Anonymousreply 21August 2, 2020 11:43 PM

Oh, I love his voice and hair.

by Anonymousreply 22August 2, 2020 11:44 PM

[quote]But he must have known that wearing a JPII T-Shirt with it would cause a pushback.

It's not a "JPII T-Shirt," R20. It's Pope Francis, as different from JPII as Obama was from Dubya. Francis is a liberal, at least as liberal as a Catholic can pass for. Gay rights and gay marriage are settled law in the Republic of Ireland. The online uproar is a storm in a teacup; abuse from Aontú is the equivalent of pushback from Bill Donohue and the Catholic League. In reality, it's nothing, though it is doubtless being amplified online by professional right-wing trolls.

by Anonymousreply 23August 2, 2020 11:54 PM

[quote] abuse from Aontú is the equivalent of pushback from Bill Donohue and the Catholic League.

Bill Donohue IS pretty much the Catholic League, isn't he?

Kinda like how One Million Moms is that frigid cunt and like ten friends.

by Anonymousreply 24August 2, 2020 11:57 PM

Bet a straight male or female politician in a similar thirst trap would get even more criticism.

by Anonymousreply 25August 3, 2020 12:02 AM

Pretty much, R24.

Online they can make themselves seem much bigger.

by Anonymousreply 26August 3, 2020 12:03 AM

I thought Sinn Féin were terrorists?

by Anonymousreply 27August 3, 2020 12:33 AM

Where have you been the last twenty years, r27? Things have changed.

by Anonymousreply 28August 3, 2020 12:52 AM

Watching the interview at R14, I'm amazed he could even get elected given he can barely look anybody in the eye. Plus he looks like the singer for a Cure tribute band.

But if we had more politicians like him, the US would be a better place.

by Anonymousreply 29August 3, 2020 1:11 AM

[quote]Just wait until they catch him wearing white after Labor Day.

No, that's no longer true, you can wear white after Labor Day

by Anonymousreply 30August 3, 2020 4:22 PM

You ladies say more “homophobic” things about Aaron Schock and Lindsey Graham on a daily basis. Drop the pearl-clutching act.

by Anonymousreply 31August 4, 2020 1:32 PM

[quote]No, that's no longer true, you can wear white after Labor Day

No. It's not.

by Anonymousreply 32August 5, 2020 12:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!