Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Astrology has become huge

If you look at Twitter, everybody is into astrology today, especially millennials, Gen Z and celebrities. It's even bigger than Christianity among younger people.

Do you think there's any science behind astrology? It seems kind of fanciful, but I don't know enough about it to make a conclusive judgment. I will say that I exhibit ALL of the traits assigned to my zodiac sign. It's uncanny how accurate it is in my case. How does it know me so well? There must be something to it, right?

Do you believe in it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 4, 2020 8:41 PM

Of [bold]course[/bold] there’s no science behind it. People have a biological need to believe in magic. Choose which one floats your boat.

by Anonymousreply 1August 2, 2020 4:33 PM

No, it has not "become huge;" no, it isn't "bigger than Christianity;" and no, there is no science behind it.

by Anonymousreply 2August 2, 2020 5:02 PM

I heard the idiot convention is meeting here. I brought my horoscope, yall!

by Anonymousreply 3August 2, 2020 5:04 PM

Which astrology? The western one with Aquarius through Capricorn? Or the Asian one with Rat through Pig? There may well be more than those two. Just as man invented gods rather than vice versa, man invented zodiac signs -- we are an imaginative species!

by Anonymousreply 4August 2, 2020 5:13 PM

There's no science behind it, but a fair amount in it. Early astronomy is astrology, trying to forecast the future was the reason behind the attention paid to the stars and other heavenly bodies.

Indian astrology is fairly close to Greek/western astrology. Chinese astrology isn't.

by Anonymousreply 5August 2, 2020 5:21 PM

I know one thing - this is the dawning of the age of Aquarius

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 2, 2020 5:24 PM

Well, I’d be interested to know why I find pretty Cancerian men so cute, even knowing how unbearably annoying and clingy and traditional the sun sign is? And with myself not being attracted to men in general? Plus the sign of Cancer being my fourth house, unsuspected and empty?

Now I know a bit about astrology (I was a bored gullible high schooler with a lot of free time and a hippie lesbian Aunt, ok), but this I do not get. My best guess is that it’s because I have a Capricorn stellium and a heavily-squared stressed-out Moon...

by Anonymousreply 7August 3, 2020 9:36 PM

No, it doesn't. Only morons on a shithole cesspool like Twitter would take it seriously.

by Anonymousreply 8August 3, 2020 10:03 PM

I don't follow my horoscope except occasionally. Will check it if I am having a rough patch just to see if it was foretold. Usually not. But then it gets interesting. I am a Leo. When I read the description of Leos, from personality to hair (thick and full like a lion) to love of fashion and artistic ability, vanity, snobbishness, love of travel, etc. I am in complete agreement with the Leo. Both Jackie Kennedy and Princess Margaret were Leos. I didn't think they were spoiled rich women, I thought they were great. I also married a Leo. It didn't work out. I am never worried about making a good impression, Leos always do. We are not flashy dressers and don't seek to stand out, but are always well groomed. We are also kind and nice to have in your corner. Good cooks and very home centered. (Lion's cozy den) We love pampering. It makes us purr.

by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2020 12:23 AM

Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2020 1:03 AM

It's dumb AF, but I'll take it over Christianity.

by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2020 1:06 AM

I don't know a single Gen Z into astrology.

by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2020 1:12 AM

If I understand astrology correctly, it's the belief that the alignment of the planets and stars when you're born can determine your fate.

I don't accept that hokum.

If I did, however, it seems to me it wouldn't be the alignment of the planets and stars at my birth that would be determinative. It would be what is the alignment of the planets and stars when I was conceived- the convergence of zygote and egg, that would be the determinative factor.

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2020 1:20 AM

I received a subscription offer for the newly-redesigned print version of TV Guide. One of the features they are promoting is the return of the Horoscope to their pages. Their market research must have shown it to be a valuable attraction to their readers, although it is of zero interest to me.

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2020 1:30 AM

I don’t believe in magic but I kind of wish I did. It would be nice to have some faith in some sort of destiny or star truth (or whatever the fuck it’s called) or whatever exciting supernatural thing so many people embrace.

There’s me, mister sensible gay, and then there’s the gay who bitches about how Mercury is in retrograde or whatever. In a hundred years we’ll both be as dead as fried chicken, but he will have had a more adventurous sense of reality during his time here.

by Anonymousreply 15August 4, 2020 4:16 AM

[quote] I also married a Leo. It didn't work out.

No shit. All Leos are EDINA Queens.

by Anonymousreply 16August 4, 2020 12:42 PM

I’m a Scorpio. We don’t believe in anything or trust anyone. We’re skeptics and assholes. I freely admit it.

by Anonymousreply 17August 4, 2020 12:52 PM

It mostly seems to be women on social media who won't shut up about it. I've yet to here anyone seriously talk about it. Then again this is an actual rental listing apparently so I may just not know enough lunatics IRL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 4, 2020 12:53 PM

One thing the Khmer Rouge regime did right: they killed all the fortune tellers in Cambodia. It would have been an okay country if they just stopped there, instead of carrying on killing doctors, teachers, artists, etc.

by Anonymousreply 19August 4, 2020 12:59 PM

[quote]I know one thing - this is the dawning of the age of Aquarius

I suspect we are actually at the late evening snack of the age of Aquarius.

by Anonymousreply 20August 4, 2020 1:01 PM

Humans look for ways of (their) lives making sense and matter. They buy into Christianity or other religions or cults, others buy into Astrology or New Age philosophies.

Of course, some try to make it a right or wrong issue where they insist that others are wrong for choosing something else.

by Anonymousreply 21August 4, 2020 1:20 PM

It doesn't know you that well, OP, at all. In fact, it doesn't know you from a cord of wood.

You draw from it what you want and ignore the rest. Nancy Reagan swore by it. That, in and of itself, ought to tell you how accurate it is.

But of course, it doesn't. So, the joke's on you.

by Anonymousreply 22August 4, 2020 3:34 PM

Every person younger than 30 follows astrology. It's as big with young people now as Tik-Tok is.

by Anonymousreply 23August 4, 2020 3:54 PM

^^highschoolers now share sign/pronoun/disability instead of a/s/l.

by Anonymousreply 24August 4, 2020 8:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!