Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is the source of Ellen's rage and nastiness?

Was it the stepfather who molested her as a teen and when Ellen reported the abuse to her mom, her mom refused to believe her? And instead of raging on her mom and stepfather, she projects her anger and feelings of childhood powerlessness onto her employees?

What about her natural father? Obviously, he also failed to protect her. He died in 2018.

What's your theory?

by Anonymousreply 205August 5, 2020 10:44 AM

Normal lesbian rage.

by Anonymousreply 1August 2, 2020 12:23 PM

Trollin trollin trollin trolling!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2August 2, 2020 12:25 PM

The shit the media put her through when she came out, Losing her show etc. Not being able to get a job, It was pretty bad

by Anonymousreply 3August 2, 2020 12:25 PM

The media was supportive.

by Anonymousreply 4August 2, 2020 12:28 PM

I would like to hear stories from when she had her sitcom in the mid-90s. Where there hints of this behaviour on that set? If there were, then it was something in her childhood. If this conduct only began 10 or so years ago, then I suspect she became full of herself and thought she was untouchable and any perceived slight was taken as a personal affront to her. People just became a means to an end and she didn't care how that perspective affected them.

by Anonymousreply 5August 2, 2020 12:28 PM

You manage teams of people for years at a business with your name literally on the front door, and then see if you don’t develop rage at the lack of competence of the average American worker.

by Anonymousreply 6August 2, 2020 12:30 PM

Ellen at R6.

by Anonymousreply 7August 2, 2020 12:31 PM

R6 That's a good point.

by Anonymousreply 8August 2, 2020 12:31 PM

[quote]I would like to hear stories from when she had her sitcom in the mid-90s. Where there hints of this behaviour on that set? If there were, then it was something in her childhood. If this conduct only began 10 or so years ago, then I suspect she became full of herself and thought she was untouchable and any perceived slight was taken as a personal affront to her. People just became a means to an end and she didn't care how that perspective affected them.

The difference is that back then she didn't have the stature to get away with being nasty to people.

Now she does.

So she is.

by Anonymousreply 9August 2, 2020 12:32 PM

r8 is Oprah

by Anonymousreply 10August 2, 2020 12:32 PM

I bet either she or Portia are familiar with Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 11August 2, 2020 12:33 PM

i think she's clinically depressed

by Anonymousreply 12August 2, 2020 12:33 PM

R5 There definitely was some tension on her sitcom set due to the number of cast changes that occurred, although there were a lot of cooks in that kitchen and I don’t think she was personally responsible for every creative decision. Many guest stars spoke highly of her, but Kathy Griffin felt the atmosphere was very tense. At the table read, Griffin claimed, nobody would laugh unless Ellen did. They all seemed afraid of displeasing her, Griffin felt.

by Anonymousreply 13August 2, 2020 12:34 PM

R10 That's a good point

by Anonymousreply 14August 2, 2020 12:35 PM

The show went from being an ensemble to being all about Ellen.

Whatever was behind that?

by Anonymousreply 15August 2, 2020 12:36 PM

[quote]You manage teams of people for years at a business with your name literally on the front door, and then see if you don’t develop rage at the lack of competence of the average American worker.

We need to talk about Ellen's lack of competence. She is one of the most unfunny people on Earth.

by Anonymousreply 16August 2, 2020 12:37 PM

Some people never heal their internal wounds and inflict their pain on others.

by Anonymousreply 17August 2, 2020 12:39 PM

We can talk about the fact that most lesbians are like that, if anyone wants.

by Anonymousreply 18August 2, 2020 12:41 PM

R17 Is that the reason I get FFed all the time?

by Anonymousreply 19August 2, 2020 12:41 PM

Power corrupts ... it's as simple as that.

by Anonymousreply 20August 2, 2020 12:41 PM

Weren’t her mom and brother extremely unsupportive when she came out? If the mother’s denial about her husband molesting Ellen is true, Mom sounds like a Grade-A cunt.

by Anonymousreply 21August 2, 2020 12:47 PM

Abusers like Ellen always try to come up with some justification for their behavior, like R6 is doing.

by Anonymousreply 22August 2, 2020 12:48 PM

ANGER that she was born so fucking ugly......sad

by Anonymousreply 23August 2, 2020 12:48 PM

She’s a drunk. Drunks are angry, moody, and unpredictable. Add obscene wealth and power to that and you have a recipe for disaster.

by Anonymousreply 24August 2, 2020 12:49 PM

Most of DL aren't in a position of power like Ellen, R17.

by Anonymousreply 25August 2, 2020 12:51 PM

Narcissism + XX chromosomes = rage, nastiness

by Anonymousreply 26August 2, 2020 12:52 PM

OP, she was Born This Way

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 2, 2020 12:55 PM

Wait, Ellen is one of these I was molested by men so I’m turning to lesbians types? Is she even a true lesbian then, or just part of the man haters club?

by Anonymousreply 28August 2, 2020 1:02 PM

bipolar?

by Anonymousreply 29August 2, 2020 1:03 PM

Not me.

by Anonymousreply 30August 2, 2020 1:03 PM

The stories of her being nasty have been going around DL for as long as I've been here, at least a decade, maybe longer.

by Anonymousreply 31August 2, 2020 1:05 PM

Molested huh? I’m disappointed I thought she was a gold star gay.

by Anonymousreply 32August 2, 2020 1:06 PM

R17 Twitter much?

by Anonymousreply 33August 2, 2020 1:09 PM

When people like R17 say that, R33, what they really is 'gay men are wounded and inflict pain on others'.

by Anonymousreply 34August 2, 2020 1:13 PM

D

Y

K

E

D

R

A

M

A

by Anonymousreply 35August 2, 2020 1:13 PM

Wasn't she abused by her father as a kid?

by Anonymousreply 36August 2, 2020 1:14 PM

A catastrophic case of PENIS ENVY!

by Anonymousreply 37August 2, 2020 1:16 PM

I got her humor and had some laughs along the way. News she was nasty was a surprise. I wonder if Carol Burnett was as agreeable and all sunshiney by the end of her shows last year. Probably not. Oh yeah, and Ellen def has the penis envy!

by Anonymousreply 38August 2, 2020 1:43 PM

People like Ellen become successful *because* of their rage and unpleasantness, not in spite of it. Normal people don’t have the cojones to trample everyone else on their way to their top.

by Anonymousreply 39August 2, 2020 1:49 PM

She’s a mean and angry abuser. She vacillates between profound self hatred , projecting hatred to others, and blacking our.

If she ever enjoyed her job and her lifestyle and partnership with Portia, the happiness was fleeting, and she hasn’t the capacity to enjoy anything.

Ellen was very likely not allowed to be a child and was likely subjected to regular child abuse, perhaps sexual abuse and lots of neglect. She was probably told to shut the fuck up all of the time, and being a smart child, and being in a lot of pain, she used humor as a shield to guard her from others also abusing her. She figured that if she could entertain people, make them laugh, they’d at the very least allow her to breathe instead of berating her, smacking her, or molesting her. The laughs was all she needed, and for a long time that worked because she was in complete control. She tells a joke, you laugh. Positive enough, right?

Not when you become an adult, and your world opens up to a million more possibilities, such as a show, a staff, a crew, a house, gardners, housekeepers, a wife, awards shows. That’s fine for most people who aren’t attempting to mask pain, but for someone who is? It becomes overwhelming and unbearable.

She never learned to communicate in a healthy way around healthy people. She was probably told to shut up all the time, and now, everyone wants to talk because that’s what happens when you’re running the top daytime talks show on NBC. The talking never stops, even when you get off air.

So she’s resentful and angry and pissed. Now she wants her silence and her privacy because that’s what she was taught as a child to be her only safe space and that’s what she runs to now, and does so with alcohol to the point of blacking out.

She’s in her 60s and very rich. Chances of an intervention and transformation are pretty slim because she’s got enough fuck you money to drink herself to death.

Portia stays for whatever reasons, but Ellen is a very broken gal and I do not condone her behaviors and I recognize that she is an active participant, if even silently, in the abusive and toxic workplace she has help create that is patterned after her childhood: dirty old men preying on people they shouldn’t, employees seeking recourse and remediation are ignored, silenced, gaslighted or fired, and Ellen pretends the kids are being sexually assaulted in the shower while she throws back another drink- just like her mom.

My take? She’s beyond professional repair for a show host and retiring for the good of herself and considering getting professional help is a great idea to bat around before drinking herself to death and dying alone.

The staff needs to get therapy and understand that they’re not at fault. Ellen is an abuser who allowed them to be further abused because she doesn’t care about them because she was taught that caring is a weakness and this is why she barely manages to care for herself.

Get the fuck out of there. It’s a sinking ship.

This is why abusers should have children. They fuck them up, and then end up with a little girl who had so much going for her, that they had to break her and steal her true joy out of her , to the point that she reached into the cynicism as a substitute for happiness, and figured that if everyone was stupid enough to laugh when she got on some stage, that was the gist of a successful relationship and she never grew past anything but superficialities and bullshit cheer.

by Anonymousreply 40August 2, 2020 1:50 PM

Continued from R40:

Leave Ellen to Ellen. If you work for her, get out. There’s nothing to be done for her, and those fuckers that sexually harrassed and physically threatened employees need to be met with serious and hardcore litigation. Full stop. Seek legal counsel and take it to the settlement offer immediately. No mercy. Fuck those cunts. They not only exploited their employees, they also exploited Ellen and her “damage”, just like Ellen’s asshole stepfather exploited her and her mom.

Bring it full circle. Close this bullshit up and go for personal civil actions as well as workplace civil actions individually and as teams ASAP. The only thing that means ANYTHING to sexual predators is their dick, and their cash. They offered their dick, keep it moving, no thanks, and take their cash. They deserve every single penny drained out of them. Fucking vampire leeches.

by Anonymousreply 41August 2, 2020 1:51 PM

The world’s initial reaction to her coming out. It was the 1990s.

The stepfather molesting her.

Inadequate amount of friendships or attachment to her mother.

by Anonymousreply 42August 2, 2020 1:52 PM

[quote] The world’s initial reaction to her coming out.

Most people didn't care and few had heard about her before the coming out.

by Anonymousreply 43August 2, 2020 1:53 PM

R24 Correct. R39 Normal people don't go into show-business.

by Anonymousreply 44August 2, 2020 1:56 PM

This is all very validating because I remember, years ago, noting that Ellen experienced an almost bizarre level of glee scaring (tormenting) her talkshow guests. It was the only time she seemed to come alive.

by Anonymousreply 45August 2, 2020 1:57 PM

R45 !! YOU ARE RIGHT! I see that now!

by Anonymousreply 46August 2, 2020 1:59 PM

R43: Her show was cancelled after she came out. It took her three years to make a comeback with her HBO special.

by Anonymousreply 47August 2, 2020 2:00 PM

I didn’t realize the abuse.

If a child is sexually abused, it is possible to emotionally heal IF the mother believes the child.

Experts say it’s not good when mother does not believe her child. It’s the determining factor.

by Anonymousreply 48August 2, 2020 2:01 PM

^ Maybe her mother didn't believe her because she was making it up.

by Anonymousreply 49August 2, 2020 2:03 PM

geeze all this psychoanalyzing, I'm a cunt just because i can be, duh!

by Anonymousreply 50August 2, 2020 2:04 PM

[quote]Her show was cancelled after she came out. It took her three years to make a comeback with her HBO special.

This has been covered before, but I'll just restate a few points:

A show was never a big hit.

Her show achieved its greatest publicity because of her coming out.

Her show was renewed after her coming out.

The ratings declined in the final season amid changes.

She was given high profile jobs just a few short years later.

Three years is not a long time.

by Anonymousreply 51August 2, 2020 2:04 PM

Spoiler alert: A lot of people in the LGBT community, especially those around her age and older, have mental health issues (myself included). When you grow up learning you'll always have to work harder just to be tolerated, it can make a person resentful of others. Ellen is wildly successful and coming out in the 90s was so courageous of her. But she'll never feel good enough or loved simply for being herself.

by Anonymousreply 52August 2, 2020 2:04 PM

When I feel rage I put on pretty White dress and go shopping. Then I find penes to suck on. Which helps me hide the rage. May be Ellen can try my Method?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 2, 2020 2:06 PM

Someone made a comment on a previous thread that some well-known New Orleans lesbian matriarch who frequented the same bar as Ellen said she wasn't well-liked at all.

by Anonymousreply 54August 2, 2020 2:06 PM

Um, Oprah said she herself got vile hate mail just for being on the episode where Ellen comes out. She played the therapist.

by Anonymousreply 55August 2, 2020 2:07 PM

I'm sure she did, R55. But she'll never say who it was from.

by Anonymousreply 56August 2, 2020 2:08 PM

R8 = R6.

by Anonymousreply 57August 2, 2020 2:08 PM

r57 = too much time on his hands.

by Anonymousreply 58August 2, 2020 2:17 PM

How about being a comedian who isn’t remotely funny?

by Anonymousreply 59August 2, 2020 2:18 PM

I recently learned her brother was Mr Hands of Mr Bill

by Anonymousreply 60August 2, 2020 2:29 PM

I think the next venture for Ellen should be a game show called “What’s Her Damage,” where contestants come on and try to guess what made her a fucked up rageaholic with control issues.

by Anonymousreply 61August 2, 2020 2:34 PM

I never realized until I watched her get that lifetime achievement Golden Globe thingy how much of a narrative it had become that her show was "taken away from me because I was gay."

That show sucked before and after, and the only episode that anyone remembers is the coming out one.

That narrative conveniently erases that CBS gave another sitcom of hers a try before she did the talk show. She was hardly blacklisted.

by Anonymousreply 62August 2, 2020 2:38 PM

That's all correct, R62. Ellen has worked bigtime to reframe the narrative around that.

by Anonymousreply 63August 2, 2020 2:43 PM

her pussy stinks

by Anonymousreply 64August 2, 2020 2:43 PM

At times I think the percentage of people in the movie & TV business on the performing side who suffer from some form of mental illness or personality disorder is huge. Most people who get into the industry as performers seem to have a pathological desire to be noticed, yet when they start getting noticed they start to go crazy. They also seem to have a great distrust of people, I assume because the industry is so cut throat and rife with liars .

by Anonymousreply 65August 2, 2020 2:46 PM

I think a lot of markets dropped her show when she came out, which must have affected the ratings and renewal prospects. But yeah, “Ellen” was always a second rate sitcom. If anything, the whole controversy gave it a shot in the arm of publicity that it did not deserve.

by Anonymousreply 66August 2, 2020 2:46 PM

Agree R65 but the older I get, the more I see that most people in all walks of life have some sort of personality disorder or mental illness. At least, the people I’ve encountered do. They just lack the power to inflict their issues on more than a few people, usually family members or work subordinates.

by Anonymousreply 67August 2, 2020 2:50 PM

I'll always remember an interview I saw with Jeremy Piven and when asked about being on "Ellen", he quickly responded, "Oh, you mean the big gay show?". He might be a douche, but he's right. The show was an ensemble comedy prior to her coming out, and all about her after.

by Anonymousreply 68August 2, 2020 2:51 PM

Well, it's 2020 now, not 1997.

So who is actually watching that sitcom now?

Her efforts to try and make out that it was cancelled because of her sexuality rather than the fact that it just wasn't that funny or successful did more to prevent gayness on television than promote it.

by Anonymousreply 69August 2, 2020 2:52 PM

R48, I think that not only is the mother believing the child a determining factor, the mother must also leave the abuser, and back when Ellen was a kid, many women were still SAHM, so perhaps that wasn’t an option. Women used to send their kids to live with relatives exactly for this reason, to protect their child from the abuser.

It’s been my observation that women who remain with abusive men are just as abused as the children. And they were primed for that abuse in their childhoods, just like the abusive men were primed to become abusers or also abused.

It’s a never ending cycle but remedied as soon as someone in the chain of abuse decides to stand up for themselves and fight back. And by that, I mean confronting the abuser, calling everyone and everything by its proper name, and refusing to participate in the dysfunction or acquiesce to the abuser.

Abusers are profoundly weak and scared people. They’re usually huge frauds and are playing a role, rather than being a part of a community and part of a family where people gather to collaborate with one another and encourage each other’s dreams, goals, and to be supportive to one another when someone in their circle of family or friends needs support and a listening ear.

For the abuser, everything hinges on their perception of remaining in total control. They attempt to hold on to this perception of control by either neglecting others or by emotionally or physically berating them and diminishing their self worth. When that becomes too much work, they just completely abandon the people in their lives and ghost them as if though they never existed.

Most people have enough self worth and self esteem to get away from abusers, being that they recognize that there’s no negotiating on good faith with these people. And the older they get, the more entrenched the abuse becomes, in spite of failed marriages, relationships, excommunication from children, siblings, failed careers, etc. The list goes on and on because the abuser goes on and on unabated, and never seeks help.

Why don’t abusers seeks help? Because they’re terrified of becoming nothing without power over others. It’s the only version of themselves that they’re familiar with, and the anger protects them from the biggest monster they know: themselves.

It takes a LOT of courage and humility to come to the conclusion that you’re a destructive and abusive force in the lives of those you claimed to cherish, love, and protect. Most don’t ever get there, and those who do, are few and far between. Most? They just learn to become better liars and manipulators, hiding behind fame, success, faux altruism, career, religion, or as in Ellen’s case... booze.

Something tells me that Portia treats Ellen like total shit behind closed doors, by the way. Ellen wouldn’t remain with someone who treated her kindly.

The dynamics are really destructive and are lifelong and for many impossible to overcome. I give Ellen credit for not having children, and I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that she treats her animals and household pets like royalty.

Ellen’s not a psychopath. She’s just really, really fucked up. Those producers she has working for her, however? Those guys are true scum, and it’s a shame she couldn’t get the help she so desperately needs, in order to not have allowed this cycle of abuse from which she came, to affect those who worked really fucking hard to make her a very successful woman against all of the odds she had stacked up against her.

If Ellen became truly happy and healed, you would know, because she’d choose to walk away from the whole thing, and do so voluntarily. Now, she will be forced. And she should be, by the way. She definitely earned THAT, too.

by Anonymousreply 70August 2, 2020 2:53 PM

Alkie

by Anonymousreply 71August 2, 2020 2:58 PM

R54, Charlene?

by Anonymousreply 72August 2, 2020 3:01 PM

Great comment, R70.

Did Ellen have a relationship with her dad? Wikipedia says after her parents' divorce, her brother Vance went to live with the dad and Ellen stayed with her mother and then stepfather.

by Anonymousreply 73August 2, 2020 3:07 PM

I lost interest in her long ago when she came out. After that, being a lesbian was the only thing she wanted to talk about and found some way to work it into every conversation, interview, or performance she did. Many gay people got sick of her. We get it, you're gay and now you can be free. So go be free and shut the fuck up because no one cares.

by Anonymousreply 74August 2, 2020 3:09 PM

Here’s a picture of Ellen, as a man 👇🏽

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 2, 2020 3:09 PM

[quote]I lost interest in her long ago when she came out. After that, being a lesbian was the only thing she wanted to talk about and found some way to work it into every conversation, interview, or performance she did. Many gay people got sick of her. We get it, you're gay and now you can be free. So go be free and shut the fuck up because no one cares.

Yes, she benefited from becoming Hollywood's go-to professional lesbian. She was never that funny, but that gave her a 'thing'. 1997 was really the right moment for that: ten years later and nobody would've cared, ten years earlier and too many would've cared. And she was a non-threatening lesbian, unlike scary gay men. Edgy only in a safe way.

Sean Hayes had to pretend to be straight when W&G premiered a year later.

by Anonymousreply 76August 2, 2020 3:13 PM

I think she has a pretty fucked childhood, but I do think the way Hollywood abandoned her after she came out really made her cynical and bitter, on top of the other stuff.

by Anonymousreply 77August 2, 2020 3:17 PM

Hollywood never abandoned her. She made that up.

by Anonymousreply 78August 2, 2020 3:19 PM

i became rather nasty near the end of my drinking . I was always kind of nice in younger years

by Anonymousreply 79August 2, 2020 3:20 PM

Fuck you up, down, and sideways, you ignorant troll, R28.

by Anonymousreply 80August 2, 2020 3:21 PM

R1 nailed it. Lesbian rage is a real thing. Even the ones who seem happy & friendly are seething, under the surface.

Ellen’s treatment of most people, and Rachel Maddow’s treatment of many (such as mayor Pete) are not dissimilar. And what do the two of them have in common?

by Anonymousreply 81August 2, 2020 3:25 PM

Rosie and Paula Poundstone too.

by Anonymousreply 82August 2, 2020 3:26 PM

Lesbian rage sounds like one of those old female maladies like "the vapors".

by Anonymousreply 83August 2, 2020 3:29 PM

Maybe the abuse led to fear of men, while her mom’s disbelief led to fear of humanity. Two ways to deal with fear: (1) drink to excess and (2) proactively scare other people so they fear YOU first.

by Anonymousreply 84August 2, 2020 3:36 PM

The homophobia against lesbians is off the charts in this thread. Get some help.

by Anonymousreply 85August 2, 2020 3:36 PM

This is an interesting thread as I've thought about this when I heard about all the stories of her bad behavior.

I was a fan of her stand-up for years, before she got her first TV show. I think there are some items that I remember from her standup and interviews that are interesting.

1) I remember her saying that she started telling jokes as a way to make her mom laugh and to cheer her up. This isn't a child's responsibility - it could show that her mother didn't really parent her in a supportive way developmentally. It kinda sounded like she was a bit on her own and felt a huge responsibility to take care of her mother emotionally.

2) Cut to 17 or 18 - she was living with her father and stepmother in Houston and she came out. They disowned her and kicked her out of the house, IIRC. She has a segment in her early stand-up about her parents giving her up, telling her they never liked her and had her living with a band of Native Americans for years. Then several years later they come back and say 'We were joking, we love you, come on back". I honestly think this was a thinly veiled story about her coming out and the rejection from her family who then did a turnaround.

Many of us can relate to that experience - many gay people were outright rejected by their families for YEARS at a very young age. It's extremely damaging, and then when they turn around and say 'oops, sorry' - it doesn't cover up the years of pain and isolation and broken trust.

To add to this, professionally, she was a female standup in the comedy world that for YEARS was so male-dominated and misogynistic. A lot of men in the 80's and 90's in the industry just didn't think women were funny - from comedy club owners, bookers, TV execs, etc. And it was a real boys club. She had to fight extremely hard to get to the level she was at - and was shat upon and taken advantage of repeatedly. Part of that is the business, but I think for women it is 10x worse - particularly back then.

There are other things as well - like her girlfriend being killed in a car crash when she was 22 and was never able to grieve or go to the funeral - but I really think she is prone to depression from a lifetime of not being able to trust people who are closest to her or supposedly looking out for her best interests.

There's a certain element of payback or 'toughen up, I've dealt with so much worse' that could be at play here. Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 86August 2, 2020 3:36 PM

FFS, most, if not all, of us have been through some form(s) of trauma. That's not an excuse for treating people like shit.

Ellen is a narcissist and compensates for her reprehensible treatment of others by being overtly generous to (conveniently newsworthy or recently viral) those in need.

Let her walk and replace her with Ellen Barkin. That's one bitch who owns and loves being a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 87August 2, 2020 4:00 PM

R68 True. For me, the biggest drawback of that final season was it’s reducing the supporting cast to recurring characters. You can count on one hand the number of times they all appeared in one episode that year. Some shows only focused on Ellen and guest stars, and Piven said it was like being dropped off at the wrong summer camp. The whole ensemble was there to support her during the coming out, then she just did away with them all with no fanfare or thanks. There was no reason for them all to be written out so heavily, especially since the episodes focusing on the girlfriend (Lisa Darr) were so preachy.

by Anonymousreply 88August 2, 2020 4:05 PM

R87 - there are also a lot of people in Hollywood WITHOUT traumas who treat people like shit. I'm just trying to look for cues as to what could have happened to harden her.

I honestly think there's some sort of 'payback' in the industry and a feeling that people have to go through the same abuse and earn their way into the business.

This is common in many occupations - including the medical profession. There's no reason to punish residents with 48 hour shifts of no to little sleep.

It's an embedded cycle of abuse - like fraternities. And we all know of people who just get off on it and take it way too far.

by Anonymousreply 89August 2, 2020 4:13 PM

Why did she pick on Liza? How did that fit into her "Be Kind" brand?

by Anonymousreply 90August 2, 2020 4:19 PM

One thing that really disturbed me was her obsession with people’s scents to the point that she requires her staff to take breath mints or go home to shower if she so much as smells a waft of musk. Apparently the “sensitive nose” is a common problem for adults who were raped or molested as kids because strong body/breath odors remind them of the smell of their abusers.

by Anonymousreply 91August 2, 2020 4:32 PM

R81 let’s not forget Rosie and whatever issues she has. Ellen seems like the kind of lesbian that just wishes she was a dude. Like you can tell when someone like Ryan Gosling or JT is on, she just wishes she was them.

by Anonymousreply 92August 2, 2020 4:35 PM

Ellen to Caitlyn Jenner: you idiot, you had it all!!! A penis, a real one!! A kardashian daddy...you had everything!!

by Anonymousreply 93August 2, 2020 4:37 PM

Ok I'm not a psychologist or anything of that sort. But I was watching an old Oprah show yesterday with author Gary Zukav (He is an American spiritual teacher and the author of four consecutive New York Times Best Sellers. Beginning in 1998, he appeared more than 30 times on The Oprah Winfrey Show to discuss transformation in human consciousness concepts presented in his book The Seat of the Soul. His first book, The Dancing Wu Li Masters (1979), won a U.S. National Book Award according to Wikipedia). The topic was Fear. Here are my notes from the show, which kind of surprised me. Gary Zukav

[bold]Notes from Gary Zukav interview on Oprah:

Psychological and physical violence are all forms of fear

Impatience is a fear that you will not get what is important for you

Somebody who is angry is fearful

Anger is a form of fear

Anxiety is a form of fear

Anybody who seeks Revenge

Anybody who is Righteous

Any impulse to be critical is fear is a form of fear

Hatred is a form of fear

by Anonymousreply 94August 2, 2020 4:44 PM

"Some people never heal their internal wounds and inflict their pain on others."

Most people manage it. Even those who barely do, do enough to be functional, to work, to relate to others when necessary. Because she's famous and insulated, Ellen is probably surrounded by yes men enabling her abusive behavior.

Then there's the BOOZE which makes everything worse. If she wants to continue with her talk show, all Ellen has to do is fire her executives and announce that's she has a problem and is entering rehab. People eat up that apologetic confessional crap. It's doable if she wants it.

by Anonymousreply 95August 2, 2020 4:45 PM

R94 - that's just a simplistic philosophical explanation to make him seem smart. You can't boil everything down to 'fear' and seem like you have the answer to the world's problems. Bullshit.

If someone steals my car, I'm angry at the thief because I no longer have my mode of transportation and have been inconvenienced in having to go through insurance, replacement arrangements, etc. There's not a fear that I will have my car stolen again or fear that I cannot afford a new one. Someone stole something from me that was not theirs.

They did not steal my car out of fear. They stole it because they wanted a ride or the quick money from it. It doesn't mean that they were so destitute and poor that they had to steal my car to live.

You can't reduce everything to one thing - be it fear, love, anxiety, etc. There are many sociopaths who have no fear. And you can't conveniently say - oh, it's the lack of x that drives those situations.

Beware of anyone with simple answers or philosophies - they're just bumper sticker thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 96August 2, 2020 5:02 PM

Is Ellen really an alcoholic or are these just DL rumors? For such a big star, how come we don’t hear these stories anywhere else? Even now with staffers coming forward with behind the scenes stories, has anyone mentioned alcohol abuse?

by Anonymousreply 97August 2, 2020 5:03 PM

Diagnosed? Who knows. But there have been rumors for decades about her being a mean, mean drunk.

by Anonymousreply 98August 2, 2020 5:05 PM

How many normal people go into stand-up comedy and stay there? Damn few.

by Anonymousreply 99August 2, 2020 5:06 PM

R98 all the stories you hear about her lifestyle with Porsha is that they love to flip houses, love animals and eat dinner real early because Ellen has an early morning. She may be a mean drunk, but be drunk very rarely. So perhaps she’s drunk once or twice a year and she’s mean. Doesn’t make her a drunk.

by Anonymousreply 100August 2, 2020 5:09 PM

An alcoholic does not stop being an alcoholic when they quit drinking. If they don’t get behavioral therapy they just become “dry drunks” who are nearly as difficult to deal with as the wet drunks.

by Anonymousreply 101August 2, 2020 5:19 PM

No offense R100, but that sounds like PR spin.

by Anonymousreply 102August 2, 2020 5:20 PM

IIRC, Portia went to rehab in 2014 and Ellen tamed her own drinking to support Portia. Then in 2017 Ellen started drinking to excess again and injured her hand during a drunk, so Portia urged her to go to rehab but she refused. Portia even has video footage of their drunken fights. Allegedly.

by Anonymousreply 103August 2, 2020 5:28 PM

Apparently Portia's former eating disorder just morphed into a new, stringent vegan one.

(What is it with lesbians and veganism?)

by Anonymousreply 104August 2, 2020 5:30 PM

So r6 is saying her rage is because other, [italic]poorer[/italic] Americans are inferior to her.

Charming.

by Anonymousreply 105August 2, 2020 5:31 PM

I think Portia is the original partner prisoner like Froy.

by Anonymousreply 106August 2, 2020 5:32 PM

Might be hormonally related. She has completed MENopause and likely has significant vaginal dryness. Poor Portia has to chew on beef jerky rather than top shirloin!!!

by Anonymousreply 107August 2, 2020 5:47 PM

R107 She can always go on estrogen replacement therapy and change her pronouns!

by Anonymousreply 108August 2, 2020 6:00 PM

R102 Why have none of the stories from staffers talked about her being a drunk..sounds like DL spin to me. It would be easy for a drunken story to have surfaced in mainstream media by now for such a big celebrity whose been a big Star for decades. Even from her birthday parties.. nothing.

by Anonymousreply 109August 2, 2020 6:02 PM

^^ From “M’AAM” to “miss”

by Anonymousreply 110August 2, 2020 6:02 PM

She's clearly got notions of he own superiority, but has been pissed that most of us pay that no regard whatsoever

by Anonymousreply 111August 2, 2020 6:03 PM

[quote]You can't reduce everything to one thing - be it fear, love, anxiety, etc.

[quote]Beware of anyone with simple answers or philosophies - they're just bumper sticker thoughts.

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 2, 2020 6:17 PM

R112 I love you, I was thinking the same thing, but didn’t have the impetus to post.

by Anonymousreply 113August 2, 2020 6:20 PM

I'm interested in hearing more about the breath/body odor fear factor at R91. It never occurred to me, but it makes so much sense!

by Anonymousreply 114August 2, 2020 7:19 PM

You see this kind of behavior in people who aren't smart, talented, or physically attractive. They're ferocious bullies who attack other people in order to feel better about themselves.

by Anonymousreply 115August 2, 2020 7:25 PM

R114 Yeah - I know someone who says she is triggered by the smell of alcohol because her abuser always got drunk before sneaking into her room at night. It’s horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 116August 2, 2020 7:32 PM

"What is the source of Ellen's rage and nastiness?"

Being publicly humiliated by some right old perv like Jerry Falwell Sr. calling her Ellen Degenerate.

Being stabbed in the back by and left to hang out and dry by her fellow gays and dykes.

Being harassed by her lazy, incompetent production staff who think she should defer to them, rather than the other way around, and who think they should be praised and lauded by her personally every single working day of the week.

by Anonymousreply 117August 2, 2020 7:36 PM

Portia has logged on at R117.

by Anonymousreply 118August 2, 2020 7:38 PM

She seems to have had a rough time as a young person. Apparently her step-dad was sexually inappropriate with her. When she came out, her mother was OK with it, but her dad wasn't. He wouldn't let her babysit her half-sisters anymore. (Her sitcom did an episode about a similar situation where Ellen's boss doesn't want Ellen to babysit his kids after Ellen comes out.) When they were very young, her female partner died in a car accident, and Ellen drove past the scene, not realizing her partner was dead nearby. On the standup circuit, she had to follow comedians who had just made "dyke" jokes. When she gets famous, Howard Stern bullies her on his show and in his book, frequently outing her. (Yeah, everyone knew at that point, but that assholish behavior probably triggered some bad memories from youth.)

She comes out, and then her girlfriend very publicly flakes out on her. Ellen tackles gay themes on her show (and some of those episodes were great), and Elton John complains that the show is too gay. She loses her job. Her phone doesn't ring or awhile, until Paul Reiser offers her a recurring guest spot on Mad About You.

Then she gets a talk show and everything turns around. She gets acceptance, fame, a trophy wife, and more money than she ever dreamed of. Twenty-something pop stars can't handle it when they suddenly get rich and famous. Neither can a 40-something whose difficult life has perhaps stunted her emotionally.

And R6 is right. Half the people at any given company are slacking off and trying to get away with doing as little as possible. When you're in charge, it really grates on you.

by Anonymousreply 119August 2, 2020 7:39 PM

Portia is the Marcia to Ellen’s Jan, that is the source of all of this rage.

by Anonymousreply 120August 2, 2020 7:41 PM

“Portia, Portia, Portia!”

by Anonymousreply 121August 2, 2020 7:41 PM

So James Corden is going to replace her! Who replaces him?

by Anonymousreply 122August 2, 2020 7:43 PM

I heard an interview with Leslie Jordan where he mentioned that Ellen wasn’t very nice to him when he appeared on her show. This interview was from a few years ago. He said that Reba, on the other hand, was fabulous when he appeared on her show.

by Anonymousreply 123August 2, 2020 7:46 PM

I grew up in LA in the 50s and 60s. A lot of my friends wanted to be actors in HS. Some of them were talented but every one of them was self-absorbed and high Maintenence. They all had narcissistic tendencies. They always had to be the center of attention. And fame exacerbates whatever personality problems you have.

by Anonymousreply 124August 2, 2020 7:46 PM

[quote] When you're in charge, it really grates on you.

You poor baby!

That makes mistreating people okay, then.

by Anonymousreply 125August 2, 2020 7:48 PM

Lesbians are some of the nastiest people on Earth.

And there will always be people like R117 who admire bullies like Ellen because they perceive them as 'strong'.

by Anonymousreply 126August 2, 2020 7:52 PM

Even if everyone in Hollywood also does it (which I seriously doubt), actually firing people just for saying hello to you in the hallway or for taking a few days off for a parent's funeral is not acceptable behavior.

Some of you are terrible enablers and should be ashamed. "But everybody else does it" is not a valid excuse, as any traffic cop will tell you.

by Anonymousreply 127August 2, 2020 8:00 PM

[quote] Lesbians are some of the nastiest people on Earth.

Sure, buddy. Ellen is representative of all lesbians. Why are gay men so quick to turn on gay women? The most virulent hate I've received as a lesbian, is from gay men.

by Anonymousreply 128August 2, 2020 8:14 PM

Okay, I think I know the source of Ellen's rage and nastiness.

Imagine waking up day after day, year after year, knowing you had professed to the whole world: your undying love for Anne Heche!!

by Anonymousreply 129August 2, 2020 8:19 PM

[quote]Ellen is representative of all lesbians.

Yes. Yes, she is.

by Anonymousreply 130August 2, 2020 8:23 PM

[quote]One thing that I’ve learned from being in quarantine is that people — this is like being in jail, is what it is (...) It’s mostly because I’ve been wearing the same clothes for 10 days and everyone in here is gay.

Aside from her comparing her multi-million dollar mansion to prison, has anyone noticed how disturbing the last part about prison being “gay” is? Was she referring to the prevalence of jail sex, including non-consentual, between inmates (the Ben Carson definition of “gay”) or was she referring to the disproportionate number of lezzies in female prisons? She joked this in in her typical chirpy, gee-wiz way, which made it even more unsettling.

by Anonymousreply 131August 2, 2020 8:27 PM

^^^Yep, that comment was definitely squidgy. I felt myself blanch a little, and was embarrassed for her *cellmate*.

by Anonymousreply 132August 2, 2020 8:45 PM

I've often heard that fame and money and power just make you more of the person you always were. Yes, there are other factors involved, but if you were a good person to begin with, suddenly becoming famous isn't going to turn you into a monster. There had to have been seeds planted before the fame.

by Anonymousreply 133August 2, 2020 8:45 PM

When you're a jobbing stand-up you can't get away with treating people that way, when you're a boss you can.

Some people aren't monster bosses simply because they're never bosses.

by Anonymousreply 134August 2, 2020 8:58 PM

Narcissism, unlimited wealth, and alcohol -- what could possibly go wrong with that combination?

by Anonymousreply 135August 2, 2020 9:17 PM

That "it's like being in prison" comment was a stereotypical comment someone who did not come from money but attained great wealth later in life would make. It's a way for the person to make herself look like she's always been fabulously wealthy, and consciously or subconsciously, a way to make "the little people" jealous of her. Just another way of saying "my life is so fabulous, don't you wish you were me, because I would if I were you", without actually saying it.

by Anonymousreply 136August 2, 2020 9:34 PM

Men are undeniably THE nastiest people on earth, R126. Rape, murder, war, torture, slavery, genocide, colonization, etc. All dominated by men. Lesbians are angry because there's a lot to be pissed off about.

And you'd think gay men would be a little less hateful towards lesbians since so many of us spent years advocating and caring for gay men dying from AIDS. I did that for nearly 30 years when I could've been doing something much easier and more lucrative, which would've allowed me to enjoy my own life more and retire early. Many of these men also had mental health issues and addictions, which only made it more difficult. During that whole time, deep down, I knew gay men never would have done the same if the tables had been turned and lesbians were being fired, evicted, ostracized, and dying of a disease. Other lesbians knew this too. We did it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 137August 3, 2020 8:41 AM

"You see this kind of behavior in people who aren't smart, talented, or physically attractive. They're ferocious bullies who attack other people in order to feel better about themselves."

Sounds like Donald J Trump.

by Anonymousreply 138August 3, 2020 11:49 AM

Never mind the fact that being a wealthy white woman quarantining in a Hollywood mansion is NOTHING like being incarcerated in the US. That was insanely tone deaf for 2020.

She’s just awful.

by Anonymousreply 139August 3, 2020 11:54 AM

I don't find lesbians per se are predisposed to being nasty. I do think a higher percentage of the seriously butch strain do seem to harbor some pretty strong dislikes of the otherwise penised. I've always assumed those gals have a much higher degree of testosterone coursing through their bodies which causes many of them to display masculine aggressiveness.

by Anonymousreply 140August 3, 2020 11:54 AM

when she look in the mirror she see an ugly old bitch with nothing that loves her for her

by Anonymousreply 141August 3, 2020 11:55 AM

The passive-aggressiveness, the total joylessness, the inexplicable chip on shoulder, the insistence of hyper-deference to authority -- it's not a coincidence that the world's most famous lesbian has all these personality traits and I'm not the only one to notice it.

by Anonymousreply 142August 3, 2020 11:59 AM

[quote]Spoiler alert: A lot of people in the LGBT community, especially those around her age and older, have mental health issues (myself included).

That's true. I have the same emotional scar tissue that so many other gay men have. The difference is some of us try to work through it. It's not healthy or nice to take it out on 'the little people'.

by Anonymousreply 143August 3, 2020 12:05 PM

"Never mind the fact that being a wealthy white woman quarantining in a Hollywood mansion is NOTHING like being incarcerated in the US. That was insanely tone deaf for 2020.

She’s just awful."

Isn't it ironic that a place advertises "pointless bitchery" on the front door and wears with pride its tone deaf comments, outright racist barbs, and just plain twisted humor, gets all pissy when someone else makes a tone deaf comment.

by Anonymousreply 144August 3, 2020 12:08 PM

I assume she doesn't like gay men. That's the only explain for the Kevin Hart affair.

by Anonymousreply 145August 3, 2020 12:14 PM

Martyrdom is real, y'all.

by Anonymousreply 146August 3, 2020 12:32 PM

The Kevin Hart thing was one comedian defending another comedian. Simple as that.

by Anonymousreply 147August 3, 2020 12:32 PM

Gay men accurately see her for who she really is - I should say most - that sycophant Josh Barro thought otherwise until writer Mark Harris responded and correctly analyzing Ellen's trajectory during the time she "defended" Kevin Hart

"Small TV-historical note: The "great professional cost" has always been overstated, inc. by Ellen. Her show was a mess that was being revamped every half-season before she decided to come out on/in it. That decision gave the show focus and won it an Emmy.

It got cancelled a year later. It's become a kind of commonplace that she was punished for being "too gay." But was she? She got two movies after the cancellation, and within 3 yrs she was back starring in her own network sitcom--as a gay character--& hosting the post-9/11 Emmys."

by Anonymousreply 148August 3, 2020 12:32 PM

An ugly, moderately funny woman gets the lead in a tv sitcom. It's mediocre through it's entire run. She comes out surprising only the women who thought Liberace and Barry Manilow were ladies men. The show survives only because of this new found publicity but it cancelled as all bad TV should. But she is revived by a wonderful voice performance in Finding Nemo and then gets her own highly successful talk show, making millions. She gets a second chance that most would kill for. She has no excuse to be a miserable cunt.

by Anonymousreply 149August 3, 2020 12:50 PM

This forum is anonymous, and most probably infiltrated by trolls and provocateurs. It is absurd to think the majority of gay men and lesbians harbor animus towards each other. Don’t let this devolve into a food fight that divides gay men and women.

by Anonymousreply 150August 3, 2020 12:56 PM

"Not being able to get a job"

What does she do? Standup at county fairs? She's not an actress.

Maybe she could have gone back in the closet, grown her hair out and played a mom on another sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 151August 3, 2020 1:08 PM

After Ellen was cancelled she did a few movies and had another series in 2001. More chances then most get.

by Anonymousreply 152August 3, 2020 1:23 PM

She's reconciled with her mother and her mother has apologized. At this point, it's all Ellen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153August 3, 2020 1:27 PM

What R143 said. This goes for any blame game in any situation where “mental health issues” are used to explain away bad behavior. All this does is further the stigma of mental illness. Whatever her demons, she’s not criminally insane. You can bear the scars of abuse or oppression without continuing the cycle. People with mental illnesses are capable of respect for others and basic human compassion. Treating people with contempt is actually not an uncontrollable symptom of depression or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 154August 3, 2020 1:35 PM

How long has she been dyeing her hair?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155August 3, 2020 1:42 PM

R153 I don’t know, those statements attributed to her mother sound very word smithed by a team of writers and like something that was prepared for her instead of her own genuine personal words. More a wish fulfilling statement that Ellen wanted to hear. Like she badger her mom so much she got to the point where she said write what you want me to say and release it.

by Anonymousreply 156August 3, 2020 1:44 PM

Her spouse, Mandy Rogers, is forever stuck with a 14-year-old's idea of a glamorous name: "Portia de Rossi" (or Portia Lee James DeGeneres, if you're nasty).

by Anonymousreply 157August 3, 2020 1:53 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158August 3, 2020 2:35 PM

It seems as if she treated the peons terribly by going with a nonunion staff and they rebelled by spreading dirt about her. I don't care one way or another as I only watched the show a few times. Here's what I didn't like about it, and bear with me because I haven't looked at it in years. She dances onstage and we have to pretend she's a good dancer and this is entertaining. Then she calls some little old lady or 7-11 attendant in Bumfuck, Iowa, and we have to pretend that's a scream. Then the guests come on and she obviously doesn't give a crap about them and uses them as straight men. In between, there's are comments about middle America, her love for dogs and the importance of being nice, which she clearly isn't. Not really all that different from David Letterman or Johnny Carson, when they reached superstardom and were clearly bored. At some point, the salt-of-the-earth midwesterner or southerner pose just becomes ridiculous.

Ellen needs to go because she hates what she's doing and it shows. She has an awful game show that's about humiliating people for money and a line of the ugliest clothes anyone has ever seen. She looks horrible--angry and hard. She belongs on her private golf course or tennis court, not in anyone's living room.

I don't care why she's angry. There's no reason any audience should have to see it.

by Anonymousreply 159August 3, 2020 3:33 PM

hope they all bring a class action lawsuit against her for ..... some kind of verbal assault or bullying.

by Anonymousreply 160August 3, 2020 4:37 PM

Something dark in her childhood i think, has formed such a cruel spirit.

Lets investigate her past....

by Anonymousreply 161August 3, 2020 4:46 PM

Penis envy. It’s always something sexual.

by Anonymousreply 162August 3, 2020 4:49 PM

Having had so many horrible bosses in my life, I really relate to the workers abused when stories like this come out. I also can't understand Amy Blobuchar supporters for the same reasons. How someone treats the people that they perceive as "beneath" them is a huge indicator of a person's personality and their value system. This is the same as going on a first date with someone who berates the wait staff; something nasty about the person is revealed in those moments that people with regular emotions don't forget.

The people defending Ellen because they have "lazy" employees too are really telling on themselves. WE CAN SEE YOU.

by Anonymousreply 163August 3, 2020 5:18 PM

[quote] I also can't understand Amy Blobuchar supporters for the same reasons.

They support them BECAUSE they're bullies.

by Anonymousreply 164August 3, 2020 5:22 PM

All the Amy supporters on this board were homophobic lesbians anyway.

by Anonymousreply 165August 3, 2020 5:23 PM

r5 I can tell you that people I know that worked with Ellen in her early multi cam days did tell me some stories. She wasn't bitchy but she was high strung and emotional, particularly when she was fitting wardrobe. She would cry and get hysterical about what they wanted her to wear.

So there were sings of her being extremely emotional and touchy but not abusive back then.

by Anonymousreply 166August 3, 2020 5:24 PM

R163 my worst relationship had an early red flag when he treated a server rudely for basically nothing. I was stunned but it was a vulnerable time for me. Lasted a few months and ended terribly. Still suspect he's a true narcissist, though time and distance apart has me doubt those layman diagnosis.

My best relationship, nearing a decade now (though really taking our time with commitment), and filled with adoration, he is very respectful and kind to servers. He has a sore spot for self-respect but he never ever ever takes it out on people he doesn't know. There's a childish quality of him, outside of work, that I never want to see go away because I think its a part that likes to think of anyone new as a new social adventure, not a burden or slave.

My first relationship, problematic and I ended it, but we're friends now, he was decent but dismissing of servers, they weren't another class to them but just not important.

by Anonymousreply 167August 3, 2020 5:32 PM

Could just be that she hates herself and takes it out on other people.

If you watch her in the video at r158 she seems like a different person.

Her demeanor is softer, her eyes don't look cold and hard, something has changed her over the years.

by Anonymousreply 168August 3, 2020 6:01 PM

There was one great episode of Ellen after she came out, where Emma Thompson played herself as a lesbian, only to be out-gayed by Sean Penn.

by Anonymousreply 169August 3, 2020 6:08 PM

Look at her psychopath eyes.

Holy shit, she looks like she could stab somebody.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170August 3, 2020 6:18 PM

I don’t get why everyone is obsessed with her right now. Sure, she’s clearly a nasty person. But wait a second, so are countless others. It’s not as if she’s been going about abusing children, mugging old ladies or burying bodies under her patio. (That we know!) I mean, keep it in perspective. It’s the dangerous nasty people that we ought to stay focused on — like the ones running the country and destroying fucking society. Perspective is everything. Yet, no, we fret over a talk show host because she’s not ‘nice’.

by Anonymousreply 171August 3, 2020 6:23 PM

Her brand was be kind . The hypocrisy is what is so troublesome. She wasn't authentic to her motto.

by Anonymousreply 172August 3, 2020 6:26 PM

[quote]Never mind the fact that being a wealthy white woman quarantining in a Hollywood mansion is NOTHING like being incarcerated in the US.

No shit. That's what makes it a joke.

I am curious - have you ever experienced laughter?

by Anonymousreply 173August 3, 2020 6:28 PM

What 154 said. I have personally struggled with a family member who has mental illness. Using mental illness as a rationalization for treating others with contempt, as R 154 so stated, contributes hugely ,to the ongoing stigma of mental illness .

by Anonymousreply 174August 3, 2020 9:14 PM

R171, the general public isn’t obsessed with Ellen, as much as they enjoy building people up and tearing them down. Everyone loves to see a good crucifixion every now and then, and right now, it’s Ellen’s turn.

As far as her actual employees and upper management staff go, they’re just reacting to the stimuli presented to the head of the central nervous system they attached to, and the only reason we know about this now at such scale and persistence, is because the system is so overwhelmed with toxins, we can hear it screaming loudly, garnering our attention.

The brand and the show will hopefully be put out of its misery once and for all. I hope it is, because to keep it going with another version of toxicity ala James Corden, would be the final humiliation offered to the peons on set, trying to make it just one more day because they’re living paycheck to paycheck.

Is Ellen a “problem” person? Perhaps. But Ellen isn’t what made this show work and become successful, in spite of her or her producers, NBC did.

And NBC is where the real problem lies. Matt Lauer , Johnny Carson, Jerry Seinfeld, James Corden, and Ellen, just to make a few, found their homes at NBC for good reason.

And let’s not just single out NBC, since ABC and CBS are also homes to some very fucked up people who work on the biz.

The industry is highly toxic, and only the most toxic get to the top with very rare exceptions. Why are so many of these peeps blackout drunks? Because it’s fucked up in there, and putting Harvey Weinstein behind bars wasn’t solving anything for anyone, since for every Harvey there are 100 more who while they may not rape you, will still fuck you over and shit on your head for a piece of that pie.

by Anonymousreply 175August 3, 2020 10:19 PM

I don’t remember anyone complaining about Jay Leno or the atmosphere surrounding his show. I wonder if he had a policy whereby no one could look at him...

by Anonymousreply 176August 3, 2020 10:22 PM

when portia leaves her, as she will, her storys will light up the sky with scandal.....physical abuse maybe?

why is it some lezzies are like mean old rednecks??

by Anonymousreply 177August 4, 2020 9:24 AM

[quote] why is it some lezzies are like mean old rednecks??

They see themselves as victims, and thus refuse to do work on themselves.

by Anonymousreply 178August 4, 2020 9:39 AM

"why is it some lezzies are like mean old rednecks??"

Why is it some queens are miserable, nasty, grade A cunts 24/7??????

by Anonymousreply 179August 4, 2020 11:25 AM

The Patriarchy, natch.

by Anonymousreply 180August 4, 2020 11:48 AM

[quote] Her brand was be kind . The hypocrisy is what is so troublesome. She wasn't authentic to her motto.

She was kind … to people who deserved it the least.

by Anonymousreply 181August 4, 2020 11:49 AM

R171 Being in an oppressive abusive work environment is horrible. You spend most of your daily life there. It makes people sick physically. Clearly you've not been in one if you can say this. People's perspectives typically don't include burying bodies or dealing with Trump personally. But look how many that have and quit? Classic abusive work environment. It's soul destroying.

by Anonymousreply 182August 4, 2020 1:23 PM

Comedians are messed up. There’s Jim Carrey, Robin Williams. But male comedians are not dissected as much as females I guess.

by Anonymousreply 183August 4, 2020 1:56 PM

-shes ugly -lesbian rage -hag syndrome

by Anonymousreply 184August 4, 2020 2:11 PM

Lesbians are so mean and angry. Reminds me of skinny straight men who can't find girl friend. If only they could understand how happy a straight man could make them.

by Anonymousreply 185August 4, 2020 2:16 PM

Loss of testerone

by Anonymousreply 186August 4, 2020 2:18 PM

This thread is attracting lesbians. I don't need that hatefulness in my life.

by Anonymousreply 187August 4, 2020 2:31 PM

Is there such thin as Lesbian Rage? Is this it?

by Anonymousreply 188August 4, 2020 3:59 PM

Nice overview of the situation, mad respect for Dakota!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189August 4, 2020 5:45 PM

She already fired her producers. What do you want her to do, commit Seppuku?

by Anonymousreply 190August 4, 2020 10:10 PM

Too much money and too much unchecked power. It's a story as old as the hills. We all have to guard against becoming our lesser selves as we age -- all our worst traits tend to rise, unless we work at being self aware. People like Ellen are surrounded by sycophants. Nobody's told her what an asshole she is for a long time, I guess. She's got herself walled off in privilege. Instead of self improvement, she concerns herself with self indulgence.

by Anonymousreply 191August 4, 2020 10:25 PM

Anyone can be replaced, and don't you forget it.

by Anonymousreply 192August 4, 2020 10:29 PM

ALS.

Aggressive Lesbian Syndrome.

by Anonymousreply 193August 4, 2020 10:42 PM

R192: Good morning, Endora! And I use the word "good" in the loosest sense possible.

by Anonymousreply 194August 4, 2020 10:45 PM

Is there anything illegal she did that they can go after her for? How can she be made an example in the most extreme way to keep this from happening again? How can we make her pay?

by Anonymousreply 195August 4, 2020 11:29 PM

We don't. We support her.

by Anonymousreply 196August 5, 2020 12:12 AM

The fraus on my social media who actually watch her show are livid. Not sure how she survives this.

by Anonymousreply 197August 5, 2020 12:12 AM

I think she's suffered enough, you vindictive MONSTER.

by Anonymousreply 198August 5, 2020 12:21 AM

So basically she's now being treated like one of the contestants on that shitty game show of hers.

by Anonymousreply 199August 5, 2020 12:53 AM

What she did was mild compared to how heterosexuals have treated gays for generations and still treat us to this day. They are vilifying groundbreaking pioneers while making us settle for stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 200August 5, 2020 12:55 AM

On IG, her old costars Joely Fisher and Jeremy Piven left non-related Ellen posts and nothing in support of the actress who made the stars.

Arye Gross left a cryptic post and followed it up with a “it’ll be in my book” comment to a fan.

The other day, I checked the actor with the dark hair and glasses who has a Twitter. His header photo was of the two of them. He was also the only actor who did the whole series with her. He seemed atypically devoted.

So ... going back to the mid-90s, I’m guessing this goes before her coming out.

Also, Rosie came out, was able to walk away after six years, and stopped caring what people thought.

Ellen reached the pinnacle of her fame by wanting to be adored by her fans and just couldn’t unglue herself from the fame, money, and power, even though she didn’t particularly like her job. I mean, her hating the dancing was a running joke for years. She never bothered trying to truly reinvent her show. Yet, she couldn’t pry herself away either. By most accounts, she sounds like she has always been a control freak and has trust issues. You have to be protective of yourself to some degree, especially in Hollywood. But if you live in fear, then you’re going to bring that out in others when you get power.

by Anonymousreply 201August 5, 2020 1:13 AM

R112 - I have Tshirt in that says Sparkle Motion in synthemesc font. I loved D Darko

by Anonymousreply 202August 5, 2020 1:20 AM

R201: I'm glad she pushed them to the side when she came out now that they've revealed themselves to be as ungrateful and unsupportive as every other hetero backstabber in this town.

by Anonymousreply 203August 5, 2020 1:22 AM

sHE GETTING even with ALL THEM PHOBES WHO gave her hell for bein a FUG LEZ bak in the day

alas

by Anonymousreply 204August 5, 2020 9:35 AM

Truly homely and not very talented. Rejected by men. Lesbian by default.

by Anonymousreply 205August 5, 2020 10:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!