Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ethnic fast food and fast casual restaurants

For Mexican there are Taco Bell, Qdoba and Chipotle.

For cajun there is Popeye's. Well it's kinda sorta cajun.

For Italian there is Olive Garden (DL fave).

So why are there no fast food or fast casual restaurants for Chinese or Thai?

And yes, the obligatory "fat whores rejoice!" would be very appropriate if someone stepped up to the plate and filled this void.

by Anonymousreply 78August 18, 2020 7:32 PM

OP, you’ve not heard of Panda Express?

by Anonymousreply 1August 1, 2020 10:35 PM

Panda Express?

by Anonymousreply 2August 1, 2020 10:35 PM

PF Changs and Panda Express

by Anonymousreply 3August 1, 2020 10:35 PM

Zankou Chicken for Armenian/Lebanese -- only in LA though

by Anonymousreply 4August 1, 2020 10:37 PM

Panda Express, pfchangs, and pei wei for generic asian "chinese" food

by Anonymousreply 5August 1, 2020 10:38 PM

Panera Bread for Fraus

by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2020 10:38 PM

Las Vegas has drive-through Thai restaurants -- I saw it on Padma Lakshmi's show.

by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2020 10:39 PM

There's a butt load of rich Asians in this world, can't they start their own restaurant chains? I would love to have access to more food choices.

Outside of the west and east coasts, Thai is a limited option and its my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2020 10:49 PM

Panda Express > P.F. Chang's

P.F. Chang's sells overpriced crap. You're paying for the theme decor, like Elephant Bar.

by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2020 10:58 PM

We have Thai Express in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2020 11:01 PM

R10 - that is so good. I remember it back in Toronto in 2007. But tbh some Thai places are amazing.

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2020 11:04 PM

Beside Panda Express there's also Pick Up Stix and lots of local chains.

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2020 11:08 PM

If someone ever comes up with a successful national Banh Mi chain, Subway will have to watch out -- it kicks their sandwiches' ass.

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2020 11:10 PM

Lee's Sandwiches (banh mi) has locations all over California, with some in Texas, Arizona, and Oklahoma. I think they're expanding to the DC area as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 1, 2020 11:16 PM

Panda Express is gross.

by Anonymousreply 15August 1, 2020 11:18 PM

Una Panda Rapida

by Anonymousreply 16August 2, 2020 3:11 AM

Thai Original BBQ throughout SoCal and Las Vegas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 2, 2020 6:54 AM

There are many ,though maybe not in the US. In Berlin there are these little take away chains called Asian and it serves a hodgepodge of cultures. Here is is very hard to find sit down Chinese but very easy to find fast food from all the countries.

by Anonymousreply 18August 2, 2020 7:08 AM

OP does bring up an interesting point that, other than Panda Express, there aren't really any truly national Asian fast food or fast-casual chains. Yes, there's Pei Wei (but they're small and they're actually closing more locations than opening), Pick Up Stix is strictly regional and probably will never be national, PF Changs is actually full casual, not fast-casual or fast food. I think it's partly that there are so many independent mom & pop Chinese, Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Korean places.

Did anyone try the now defunct ShopHouse? Chipotle's pan-Asian concept?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 2, 2020 10:29 AM

Maybe Pei Wei is just a west coast establishment, but they're an asian fast casual/takeout place that is pretty ok. I believe they are owned by PF Chang's. Sidenote, as a kid I thought PF Chang's and Kona Grill were so fancy. Now I know they're both low quality, overpriced Shitholes. Also, why are all Kona Grills attached to shopping malls under the portico? Every location I've seen is under a portico near the valet. Has to be deliberate. Such a weird choice. Exhaust fumes and overpriced shitty sushi, YUM!

by Anonymousreply 20August 2, 2020 10:42 AM

Sbarro Italian in every airport.

by Anonymousreply 21August 2, 2020 12:37 PM

r17 I've lived in SoCal for 33 years and have never seen or heard of that place.

by Anonymousreply 22August 2, 2020 1:10 PM

R22 - I have bit it is laden with sugar as is Pick Up Stixx. At Pick Up Stixx the basil chicken noodles are ok, but again the sauce is sweet and and the portions small.

by Anonymousreply 23August 4, 2020 4:46 PM

[quote] I would love to have access to more food choices.

Yeah, because that's what Americans are missing. Access to more food choices.

by Anonymousreply 24August 4, 2020 4:54 PM

R6, who do you think owns Panda Express? And Asians have their huge own chains in Asia.

by Anonymousreply 25August 4, 2020 5:00 PM

For Christians there’s is Chick-Fil-A. For Masochists, there is Arby’s

by Anonymousreply 26August 4, 2020 5:01 PM

Bonchon is a Korean fried chicken chain.

by Anonymousreply 27August 4, 2020 5:12 PM

There is Jolibee for Filipino fast food (ugh). Japanese has Yoshinoya. For me, almost all Thai food is fast and casual.

I expect Chinese dumpling places to be the next fast food to take over.

by Anonymousreply 28August 4, 2020 5:20 PM

BonChon is sooo good.

by Anonymousreply 29August 4, 2020 5:29 PM

I don't buy from chains. not now. go local or go home

by Anonymousreply 30August 4, 2020 5:34 PM

there aren't really any truly national Asian fast food or fast-casual chains...

And a good thing too!

by Anonymousreply 31August 4, 2020 6:09 PM

Thai is limited outside the coasts? Maybe 10 years ago. i live in what I wouldn’t even call a midsize city in the south and it seems like there’s a Thai place every couple of miles.

by Anonymousreply 32August 4, 2020 6:17 PM

Where can I get pangolin with a side of bat soup?

by Anonymousreply 33August 4, 2020 6:36 PM

[quote]OP does bring up an interesting point that [...] there aren't really any truly national Asian fast food or fast-casual chains

The Asians know better than to go mainland.

The West Coast/Southwest is where they make their money and that's fine.

by Anonymousreply 34August 4, 2020 6:47 PM

I’d always assumed Magic Wok was everywhere. I guess it’s only around Toledo and the three in Bahrain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 4, 2020 7:02 PM

At the nearest Klan meeting, Chad.

by Anonymousreply 36August 4, 2020 7:02 PM

We have a chain called Magic Wok in SoCal, but I don't know if it's related to the one in Toledo.

by Anonymousreply 37August 4, 2020 8:08 PM

Yoshinoya is a secret guilty pleasure and one I would frequent having the small veggie beef with lots of ginger and red pepper when I wanted something fast and cheap under 650 calories.

by Anonymousreply 38August 5, 2020 12:40 AM

Thai Basil

by Anonymousreply 39August 5, 2020 12:43 AM

I don't think you really need a Chinese food chain because the Mom & Pop Chinese places are all formulaic and basically the same anyway.

by Anonymousreply 40August 5, 2020 12:51 AM

shameless plug for Doc Chey’s in Atlanta!

by Anonymousreply 41August 5, 2020 12:55 AM

Also add Yoshinoya to the mix for So Cal.

Some of you all really need to get out more.

by Anonymousreply 42August 5, 2020 12:56 AM

Taiwan Din Tai Fung is an international chain with locations in the US. Wherever they are located, the lines are long.

by Anonymousreply 43August 5, 2020 6:41 AM

Panda Express used to be owned by Tony Rezko who was accused of bribing Barack Obama. Don't any of you have brains that track back ten years?

by Anonymousreply 44August 5, 2020 8:08 AM

ShopHouse was great and even made the Washington Post’s critic’s lists. It was streamlined but didn’t dumb down Southeast Asian cuisine. Most of the locations were replaced (using the same decor and kitchen) by Bibibop, which is ok but less ambitious. You can get cheese and potatoes added to your kinda Korean rice bowl!

by Anonymousreply 45August 5, 2020 11:23 AM

Yoshinoya is vile. Grey meat slathered in a gravy over dry rice. Surely there is a better Japanese chain out there.

by Anonymousreply 46August 5, 2020 9:24 PM

[quote]Taiwan Din Tai Fung is an international chain with locations in the US. Wherever they are located, the lines are long.

They recently closed one of their two locations near me. (Arcadia, CA) It was their first US location.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 5, 2020 11:24 PM

r44 Stop posting stupid misinformation. The Panda Express chain was founded by the Cherng family, and is still owned by them. Rezko was involved in some deal to partner with them for restaurants in one area, but he certainly never "owned" Panda Express.

by Anonymousreply 48August 5, 2020 11:27 PM

LaMadeleine is popular in Texas. French, you know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 5, 2020 11:36 PM

IMO, Panda Express is not great, even by fast food standards. The fried rice, which could be and should be tasty, is just blah and meh. It shouldn't be that hard to make a better fried rice. Other dishes are unnecessarily oily. I realize that it's not a low-calorie place, but still. The orange chicken is nice when it's crunchy, though. Lemon chicken would be better, though. Everything is dumbed way, way down at Panda.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 5, 2020 11:37 PM

R50, their chow mein is also bad.

by Anonymousreply 51August 5, 2020 11:42 PM

And salty as hell, r50

by Anonymousreply 52August 5, 2020 11:42 PM

Genghis Grill is somewhat national but they're all closed now. That serve yourself model is goin' bye-bye and probably not coming back anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 53August 5, 2020 11:54 PM

I think Thai food on the whole, apart from Pad Thai, is probably too spicy to appeal to the mainstream American palate. They also tend to have a lot of ingredients. Not well suited to a fast food concept. Yes, I've seen Thai places in food courts, but I don't think there is enough of an audience to sustain a big chain. Panda Express is bland as fuck but I suppose the fact that they have somewhat healthier options than fried chicken or burgers helps the

by Anonymousreply 54August 6, 2020 12:38 AM

R54, I think people could get into Thai curry and Pad See Ew. Also those stuffed Angel wings. Thai food hits on a lot of the same notes that American palates crave -- salty, sweet, acidic, etc.

by Anonymousreply 55August 6, 2020 1:56 AM

R55 And fat-inducing, that's what Americans really crave.

by Anonymousreply 56August 6, 2020 3:03 AM

Here in MA we have Bon Chon!

by Anonymousreply 57August 6, 2020 3:05 AM

Rice noodles do not last under heat lamps. Pad Thai or pad see yew are a no go for fast food unless you like a mass of dry gummy congealed food on your plate.

by Anonymousreply 58August 6, 2020 12:42 PM

Pei Wei, dope.

by Anonymousreply 59August 6, 2020 12:54 PM

Ghengis Grill is apparently NOT closed.

by Anonymousreply 60August 6, 2020 12:56 PM

No love for that horrid food court staple, Manchu Wok?

And, yes, R14, Lee's Sandwich has opened inside the Beltway. Right down 50 from DC Sandwich so... good luck, Lee's.

by Anonymousreply 61August 6, 2020 1:04 PM

Wong's Wok. Big servings at decent prices.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 6, 2020 1:31 PM

R58 you sound a little judgmental.

*Puts on eatin' caftan*

by Anonymousreply 63August 6, 2020 1:33 PM

[quote] Rice noodles do not last under heat lamps.

That's why it's cooked to order.

by Anonymousreply 64August 6, 2020 3:33 PM

This redneck eating a whole Habanero is hysterical!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 13, 2020 12:14 PM

SushiMaki, but the quality varies greatly by location.

by Anonymousreply 66August 13, 2020 12:48 PM

Asian Chao is often found in mall food courts. I love their Bourbon Chicken and their steamed cabbage with mixed vegetables.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 13, 2020 1:55 PM

Has anyone seen the new Popeye's Chicken commercial with the wigger singing in his car? I guess Popeye's learned from the backlash when Mary J. Blige sang about the chicken in Burger King a few years back. I won't even link the Popeye's commercial, as it's a new low for humanity.

by Anonymousreply 68August 18, 2020 4:03 AM

R68 "wigger" is the dumbest word ever. If by definition a wigger is a white person trying to act black - you're essentially calling all black people the N-word while simultaneously assuming all black people act a certain way.

by Anonymousreply 69August 18, 2020 12:11 PM

Iron Sushi?

by Anonymousreply 70August 18, 2020 12:25 PM

Arby’s roast beef reminds me of loose lipped pussy.

Uncooked Arby’s roast beef looks like an aborted fetus.

by Anonymousreply 71August 18, 2020 12:52 PM

You mentioned Chinese and Thai but as other people have mentioned other Asian cuisines I thought I'd add -

In the UK, Japanese fast food is pretty big now. The two main places are Itsu and Wasabi - they both do sushi, bento boxes, Japanese curries and noodle dishes, as well as ramen (I know this is a noodle dish too but it's a specific category).

They are in pretty much every big town/city in the UK, at least in the South. There's also Yo Sushi! which is a conveyor-belt style sushi place.

by Anonymousreply 72August 18, 2020 1:24 PM

R19, I loved ShopHouse. Loved the vegan options. I hope it comes back someday.

by Anonymousreply 73August 18, 2020 1:49 PM

R54, where do you live? People order Thai as often as Chinese in most major cities. It's not exotic or "too spicy" anymore.

by Anonymousreply 74August 18, 2020 1:57 PM

R54 is in deepest darkest West Texas.

by Anonymousreply 75August 18, 2020 2:17 PM

In the US, Thai has become more common than Chinese food.

by Anonymousreply 76August 18, 2020 2:21 PM

We have Leann Chin's restaurants here. It was started by Leann Chin who sold it to General Mills. It uses the same concept as Panda Express except the food tastes good and isn't so greasy. Their fried rice is good as well.

Most of our Thai, Vietnamese, Korean etc. restaurants are small family owned. You can usually get takeout quickly and most taste pretty good.

We have no Indian fast food chains. I've never heard of one. Here they are family run and before Covid usually had a lunch buffet.

by Anonymousreply 77August 18, 2020 2:29 PM

LOL at r65. We used to perform a full physical inventory at a prior workplace. It took about a week and a half and towards the end would always get pretty out there. Like chicks making out for money out there.

The warehouse manager (Who looked a lot like the guy in your video) had gotten some concentrated hot sauce. The stuff you were supposed to dilute before using. This big fat stupid temp took a dare for $100 to eat a dozen wings with the hot sauce concentrate slathered all over them. He got them down and then his face puffed out and his eyes rolled back in his head. I really thought he might check out right there. Eventually an ambulance was called and he ended up in the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 78August 18, 2020 7:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!