Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

UK Dataloungers

Was Jimmy Saville really a surprise or was he an open secret?

It's hard to fathom a pedophile so famous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 1, 2020 9:22 PM

I can remember reading rumours on the internet in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 1August 1, 2020 8:10 PM

Didn't Johnny Rotten/Lydon call this guy out early on?

by Anonymousreply 2August 1, 2020 8:15 PM

Who is his American equivalent fame and career wise?

by Anonymousreply 3August 1, 2020 8:17 PM

Oddly, in the 80s when I was growing up, the accepted rumour about him was that he was a necrophile and used his position to have sex with corpses in hospital morgues.

by Anonymousreply 4August 1, 2020 8:20 PM

yes he did R2, and iirc was banned from the BBC for it.

by Anonymousreply 5August 1, 2020 8:21 PM

There was always something creepy about him, and his "interest" in "girls" was just that, creepy, but I'm not aware that he was accused of rape.

Remember that Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones was "dating" 13 year old Mandy Smith in the mid 80s, and married her when she was 18 in 1989.

The Sun newspaper had topless women appearing on Page 3, occasionally they'd have 15 years teasing the countdown to their 16th birthday when they'd show their breasts. Samantha Fox was 16 when she first appeared topless. Her parents had to sign her legal documents as she was considered a legal minor, yet old enough to get her tits out.

by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2020 8:23 PM

Other rumours that were prevalent were Bea Arthur being a man and Marc Almond having had his stomach pumped after swallowing 8 pints of semen.

by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2020 8:25 PM

I remember reading about rumours a few years before he died, just after he died I read a lot of speculation that all the stuff he had done would come out because there was no reason to protect him.

by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2020 8:27 PM

Jimmy Savile was not exclusively a pedophile. He was an opportunistic predator who basically went for whoever was available at the moment, from babies to the elderly. It's even alleged he molested corpses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2020 8:28 PM

R6 A girl at my school in the 90s was in a "real schoolgirls special" issue of either Penthouse or Mayfair, and the photos were taken on her 16th birthday. She was expelled for wearing, and then not wearing, the school uniform. They even published the name of the school and the class she was in.

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2020 8:28 PM

It was an open secret within the entertainment industry.

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2020 8:30 PM

I can't believe he got away with it and he wasn't even HAWT.

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2020 8:56 PM

Didn't BBC Sherlock do an episode based on him starring Toby Jones? He was degrading corpses.

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2020 8:59 PM

He was HAWT for the UK.

by Anonymousreply 14August 1, 2020 9:00 PM

He always gave me the creeps, even though I was too young to identify what I thought was wrong. I heard rumours as I got older, so some knowledge must have been circulating. The final exposure was not a complete surprise.

by Anonymousreply 15August 1, 2020 9:06 PM

He did a children’s TV show when I was young. Even then he was creepy. We had limited channels back then but I would still go and find something else to do rather than watch a show with him in it. He was that creepy person that you would do your utmost to avoid at community events or big family parties. I never understood his appeal and wonder how he managed to get away with what he did for so long.

by Anonymousreply 16August 1, 2020 9:20 PM

Just realised I didn’t answer your question. While I didn’t know exactly what he was doing I was not surprised when revelations began to surface while he was still alive and no one was surprised when the truth was actually revealed,

by Anonymousreply 17August 1, 2020 9:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!