Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Perfect Picnic

Here’s a guide to the perfect picnic. Not sure about some of these suggestions, especially the music part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 2, 2020 1:16 AM

Sorry but I'm not taking any tips from someone from Scranton, Pa!

by Anonymousreply 1August 1, 2020 4:14 PM

I think he’s from Scranton via NYC, maybe that helps.

by Anonymousreply 2August 1, 2020 4:25 PM

I looked at the pics of his picnic guests - yikes

by Anonymousreply 3August 1, 2020 4:54 PM

Burlap table runners. Milk bottle flower vases. Galvanized tubs. Hay bales. Stacks of china. How precious. This is what Pinterest has wrought.

That's just too much effort to put into something as simple as a picnic. Growing up, our picnics consisted of two coolers and a paper grocery sack. One cooler held iced-down cans of soft drinks. The other contained packages of lunch meat, mayo, mustard, pickles and other condiments, and a Tupperware bowl of watermelon cubes or cantaloupe slices. The grocery bag was for the loaf of bread, bag of chips, paper plates, napkins and plastic forks, knives and spoons. We would set up on a picnic table in the local park (bonus points if the park had a playground). The kids would run amok playing while the adults sat in their lawn chairs, shooting the shit, smoking their cigarettes and occasionally yelling "Billy! Don't push your sister's swing so high! She'll fall out and break her arm!"

by Anonymousreply 4August 1, 2020 5:18 PM

I hate people like R1 who are part of the "Coastal Elite"

by Anonymousreply 5August 1, 2020 6:22 PM

I agree with you R4 -- if you're setting a table that looks like a fancy restaurant, outside, in the heat of the summer - you're just trying way too hard. It's fine to like nice things, care about how something looks and wanting to create some fun - but picnics are just low-fi events to both enjoy and combat the sometimes oppressive heat of summer - save the Table Queen extravaganza for Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2020 6:31 PM

And corn...do you want to kill your guests?

by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2020 6:33 PM

R7 - that pic is just weird - I love good corn on the cob - but who wants plain boiled potatoes outside in the summer? On closer look I also see sausage chunks - so three things that can be great prepared separately just thrown together in an unappetizing jumble.

by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2020 6:44 PM

Oh dear lord.

by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2020 6:50 PM

I have a feeling a couple of the elders in Bush Hollow think they’re just “business partners”!

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2020 7:00 PM

I am not hauling galvanized ice chests, tablescapes and furniture to a picnic.

My friends and I usually picnic at Caramoor, an outdoor music venue north of NYC. Everyone has one of those picnic basket/bar combo totes. Some of the elder and infirm bring lightweight folding camp chairs but most people sit on blankets.

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2020 7:01 PM

Posh Josh's picnics > r4's picnics. (Lunch meat & cigarettes?)

r8 Just cut up your potatoes and toss them hot in a vinaigrette, with fresh chopped herbs and lots of salt. Try to time it so you don't need to refrigerate it.

What a bunch of yinzers some of you are.

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2020 7:02 PM

That pic of the food at the beginning of the thread - I can't remember the name of that dish but its popular in the South - I think they put clams or crabs in with it as well.

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2020 7:07 PM

Frau-town.

by Anonymousreply 14August 1, 2020 7:14 PM

The picnic pictured above looks like a lobster boil without the lobster.

A picnic is sandwiches, potato salad, pickles and soft drinks.

by Anonymousreply 15August 1, 2020 7:18 PM

And ants!

by Anonymousreply 16August 1, 2020 7:23 PM

This reminds me of the article I read about a wedding venue who constructed a purpose-built barn just for "country" weddings, because people couldn't find enough actual barns to decorate with mason jar candles, galvanized buckets, etc. for their Pinterest-ready nuptials. Or, if they did find actual barns, they were too old and gross.

by Anonymousreply 17August 1, 2020 7:41 PM

R12 = Pinterest frau.

by Anonymousreply 18August 2, 2020 1:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!