Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What largely accepted social behavior do you think is actually neurosis or mental illness?

Vegan and vegetarian people I'd say.

by Anonymousreply 190August 5, 2020 1:36 AM

in this society, now?

breathing

by Anonymousreply 1August 1, 2020 2:38 AM

'Love', as in falling in love

by Anonymousreply 2August 1, 2020 2:40 AM

Belonging to any religion after you pass adolescence.

by Anonymousreply 3August 1, 2020 2:40 AM

[quote]'Love', as in falling in love

Even my cynical heart breaks for you.

by Anonymousreply 4August 1, 2020 2:42 AM

Trolling

by Anonymousreply 5August 1, 2020 2:42 AM

Fuck you OP. Take a look in a factory farm. Then you’ll know what crazy really is.

by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2020 2:44 AM

Voting Republican

Believing in "Jesus", or really any religion

Daily pot smoking

by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2020 2:44 AM

Circumcision.

by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2020 2:44 AM

Gender reveals

by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2020 2:46 AM

Selfie culture.

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2020 2:48 AM

Really, OP? I'd say people indulging their carnivorous ways for no good reason, and then projecting their guilt onto others qualifies much more readily.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2020 2:49 AM

heterosexuality

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2020 2:51 AM

UFC / Boxing etc.

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2020 2:51 AM

Stating your pronouns.

by Anonymousreply 14August 1, 2020 2:53 AM

Catcalling

by Anonymousreply 15August 1, 2020 2:56 AM

The vegans aren't making a case for themselves here.

by Anonymousreply 16August 1, 2020 2:56 AM

Hazing

by Anonymousreply 17August 1, 2020 2:57 AM

Trans

by Anonymousreply 18August 1, 2020 2:58 AM

At least we've stated our case, R16.

by Anonymousreply 19August 1, 2020 3:01 AM

Vegetarianism I don't consider a mental illness. Ovo-lacto vegetarianism allows for protein, and is a kinder, more healthful diet, second only to pescatarianism.

Veganism is widely regarded as orthorexia, and is dedicated to reducing protein and fats, so important for the brain.

Microblogging on Facebook, shunting all of one's interactions with friends and family to "stages" like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram is mental illness.

I'm dittoing "declaring one's pronouns." Enbies should be prepared for any of two situations: nobody uses their preferred third-person plural pronouns because they won't mention them, or people will use the third-person neutral pronoun "it."

Saying stupid shit for attention (e.g. Armie Hammer, Chuck Woolery, Kanye West).

by Anonymousreply 20August 1, 2020 3:03 AM

Having more than two kids. I've seen what would have been solidly middle class families drag their existing kids into lower middle class /struggling just to have an extra kid that they couldn't afford. Or feeling socially compelled to have children even if you don't really want to. Though this is really a hetero thing.

Driving somewhere when you're only two blocks away.

Being disturbed by graphic depictions of sex but completely unbothered by graphic depictions of violence.

Obsessing over politicians marriage and sex life and viewing their infidelity as a reason not to vote for someone.

by Anonymousreply 21August 1, 2020 3:07 AM

Kissing ass to celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 22August 1, 2020 3:08 AM

Asking rich people about economics as though these greedy fuckers would know the first thing about it

by Anonymousreply 23August 1, 2020 3:09 AM

Exaggerated fear of body functions

by Anonymousreply 24August 1, 2020 3:09 AM

R24 = Erna

by Anonymousreply 25August 1, 2020 3:11 AM

USan: Bringing a gun everywhere you go in a city because you think you'll have the jump or advantage on a shooter and will automatically know who the good guy is.

by Anonymousreply 26August 1, 2020 3:11 AM

Treating pets as human

by Anonymousreply 27August 1, 2020 3:11 AM

To piggyback on r23s comment, I would add the widely held American belief that every rich person is innately deserving of their wealth and that every poor person brought their life circumstances on themselves.

by Anonymousreply 28August 1, 2020 3:11 AM

All the fucking TATTOOS!

by Anonymousreply 29August 1, 2020 3:14 AM

Watching and actually caring about "Keeping Up With the Kardashians."

by Anonymousreply 30August 1, 2020 3:18 AM

A new norm -taking selfies

by Anonymousreply 31August 1, 2020 3:20 AM

Ditto the more than 2 kids comment. It’s is impossible that a mentally stable, intelligent woman would want to spend her life pumping out kids and shuffling around a kitchen. It’s not normal.

The only people I’ve ever known to have 3 or more kids were very dysfunctional. Of course, things were different a generation or two ago.

by Anonymousreply 32August 1, 2020 3:30 AM

Believing the drama on shows like The Bachelor/Bachelorette, Keeping Up With The Fat Asses, Real Housewives of Where Ever is spontaneous and real rather than the manufactured and produced nonsense it actually is.

by Anonymousreply 33August 1, 2020 3:32 AM

Why do you give a f*ck what other people eat OP? I’m vegan and I don’t understand why people get so up in arms about what I choose not to eat. That seems a bit mentally ill.

And yeah watch some footage of factory farms and tell me that looks healthy and appetizing.

by Anonymousreply 34August 1, 2020 3:41 AM

Great question and challenge OP, I find vegans so exhausting.but here are my answers:

Neurosis? Participating in social media.

Mental Illness? Cancel culture.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder? Declaring one’s pronouns.

by Anonymousreply 35August 1, 2020 3:42 AM

I'm a vegetarian and I'm definitely not mentally ill. OP, I've noticed that Republicans seem to HATE vegetarians, maybe because they see us as "hippies" or something. I'd say Republicanism is a mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 36August 1, 2020 3:44 AM

"Mental Illness? Cancel culture."

Republicans who think that anyone who criticizes them is engaging in "cancel culture" sure seem to be mentally ill. Or maybe just dumb.

by Anonymousreply 37August 1, 2020 3:45 AM

IVF and surrogacy.

by Anonymousreply 38August 1, 2020 3:46 AM

Plastic surgery. Going under general anaesthesia to alter healthy functional body parts for aesthetic purposes.

by Anonymousreply 39August 1, 2020 3:47 AM

R38, oooh, good one!

by Anonymousreply 40August 1, 2020 3:48 AM

Fuck you, OP. The single most environmentally conscious and productive act a human can make is choosing veganism. You obviously don’t know jack shit about global warming and what causes it (clue: cows), but you destroying the planet is OK cuz it’s what “everybody else is doing,” right? Bet you don’t think masks are really necessary either, huh? Self-absorption and ignorance aren’t cute. Think before you type, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 41August 1, 2020 3:48 AM

Judging other people for doing things that aren't hurting anyone

by Anonymousreply 42August 1, 2020 3:50 AM

About r41 to the rest of you: See? I told you.

by Anonymousreply 43August 1, 2020 3:51 AM

Tattoos

by Anonymousreply 44August 1, 2020 3:55 AM

yep, r43/OP I see. "it's not mental illness if I'M the one telling YOU, a faceless entity whose health history I don't know, and whose food bills I don't pay, what to eat. Wild seafood == Factory Farms! Because you eat mollusks and eggs, you're KILLING the PLANET! Die! Die! But I'm saner than ANYONE!"

by Anonymousreply 45August 1, 2020 4:01 AM

r45, I guess you think it's cool to mock vegans and vegetarians, but wrong for them to mock you. Got it. You're criticizing them for what they eat.

by Anonymousreply 46August 1, 2020 4:03 AM

R43 see r5

by Anonymousreply 47August 1, 2020 4:04 AM

I'm not a vegetarian (or a vegan) but I do have to say that the anti-veg people now seem shriller and more hysterical then the veggies ever did. Anti-veganism kind of is the new veganism if we're just talking 'group that is EXTREMELY worked up over issue X.' Why do you care if other people don't want to eat meat? ffs

by Anonymousreply 48August 1, 2020 4:15 AM

Hello self conscious vegans:

The point is to name a behavior that may be normal but YOU consider a misperception.

Don’t judge the OP. Name one that bugs you or you don’t have to read the thread.

This thread shouldn’t be about veganism. Go start a different thread about the pros and cons of that.

by Anonymousreply 49August 1, 2020 4:18 AM

Pardon me, but I'm judging the fuck out of OP.

by Anonymousreply 50August 1, 2020 4:21 AM

Fibromyalgia.

by Anonymousreply 51August 1, 2020 4:27 AM

r43 see r42.

by Anonymousreply 52August 1, 2020 4:27 AM

Fine r49, you fucking scold.

Employing a "feeding therapist" for your picky eating child. I have a friend who went through this with his finicky 4 year old. His wife almost lost her marbles because the kid didn't like eating. Thought the kid was gonna starve and be stunted, really drove herself bonkers over it. Friend kinda got sucked in. At no point was this child ever underweight to the extent that it was a health problem. Anyway they spent tens of thousands of dollar on feeding therapists, other child therapists, nutritionists, you name it. The kid is 12 now and fine. She was just a picky eater. But I see more and more parents lamenting their child with "sensory issues" who won't eat anything but tater tots and it's like, I'm pretty sure this isn't a thing. I don't think kids in the third world starve themselves. And I don't think kids in the first world do, either. I don't think that happens. Otherwise normal children just starving themselves into dangerous levels of underweight or even death (I am NOT talking about anorexia, I'm talking about very young children with picky palates, which is a lot of them). but there's this whole industry making bank off these neurotic aprents who would do best spending all their $ on therapy for themselves.

And who gives them tater tots on the first place? it's not the kid's fault you fed them child-friendly crap and now they won't eat anything else. That's your fault for being a lazy, spineless little bitch.

by Anonymousreply 53August 1, 2020 4:30 AM

Exercising for more than an hour every day.

by Anonymousreply 54August 1, 2020 4:35 AM

People who sabotage other people at work. It's like it's "allowed".

by Anonymousreply 55August 1, 2020 4:40 AM

Polygamy.

by Anonymousreply 56August 1, 2020 4:41 AM

Spending lots of money on caskets, burial, visiting graves. It's never made any sense to me. I go along with it, because I wouldn't want to upset anyone who's just lost a loved one. But it's fucking nuts. Have a memorial service and a cremation or some other respectful disposal of the corpse. Why waste real estate on dead bodies? No one's in there any longer, it's an empty vessel, the spirit has passed, etc.

by Anonymousreply 57August 1, 2020 4:48 AM

I disagree OP. I think they will only become more common and may even become the norm.

I’d say drinking culture. I cringe when the women at my work talk about how they’re going to soak themselves in wine after work.

by Anonymousreply 58August 1, 2020 4:51 AM

Trumpism.

by Anonymousreply 59August 1, 2020 4:51 AM

What on earth is the boring bitch at r59 going to talk about on January 21, 2021?

by Anonymousreply 60August 1, 2020 4:55 AM

People who claim that have fake diseases or illnesses like fibromyalgia or gluten allergies.

I overheard an American tourist in Capri, Italy actually ask the pizza restaurant manager if the pizza was gluten-free. LOL

by Anonymousreply 61August 1, 2020 4:55 AM

I don't now if I'd go so far to as to call it mental illness, but I truly believe there is something inordinately wrong with American celebrity worship. The amount of time people spend talking about people they don't actually know cannot be healthy.

In a similar vein, I'd also offer the worship of luxury, and a cemented belief that things are inherently better because they're more expensive.

by Anonymousreply 62August 1, 2020 5:22 AM

Keto as a lifestyle choice. A low carb/high fat diet is fine, but the human body can't possibly function on less than 20 carbs per day, indefinitely.

by Anonymousreply 63August 1, 2020 5:29 AM

For r62

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 1, 2020 5:32 AM

People who have to pick up these cell phone every 5 seconds and scroll trough something.

People who are constantly on social media.

People who have to always be texting someone even if it’s just mundane chit chat.

People who cannot be alone for a full day.

People who will befriend or date anyone without getting to know them and their background.

by Anonymousreply 65August 1, 2020 5:40 AM

frequently “spanking” or constantly berating your children.

by Anonymousreply 66August 1, 2020 5:42 AM

I’m hearing a lot of parents these days tell their kids they are “annoying” or telling them to “shut up” or threatening to do this or that to them and it’s just heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 67August 1, 2020 5:43 AM

I cook maybe one meat meal a week, which may last me two days, and eat one fish meal out (or I used to). I think of myself as mostly vegetarian. I do not consider vegans at all neurotic. They're better people than I am, frankly. I just don't want to give up eggs or cheese.

by Anonymousreply 68August 1, 2020 6:13 AM

Omg r65 that's me! You know me, don't you? Are you stalking me?

by Anonymousreply 69August 1, 2020 6:33 AM

Crossfit, believers in the revised "trannies started Stonewall" fiction, & those who very much believe in astrology.

by Anonymousreply 70August 1, 2020 6:45 AM

It’s apparent few if any posters know an actual person, diagnosed with a mental illness, such as schizophrenia . This condition is driven by body chemistry. It is often acquired in early 20’s.

A completely normal functioning person acts out in inappropriate ways, such as running naked through the streets.

There is a little known condition, agnosia. Not sure about the spelling. It means that the ill person does NOT believe anything is wrong with them.

That is why they refuse to take medication. Would you take medication, for diabetes , for example if some doctor assured you you had it, even if there were medical records .

You don’t believe you are ill, so you refuse meds. Mentally ill people are scorned for refusing meds, because that would help them, but they don’t know that.

For more information , google Dr.Amador

by Anonymousreply 71August 1, 2020 7:33 AM

OnlyFans Exhibitionism

by Anonymousreply 72August 1, 2020 7:51 AM

Re veganism: Name one great vegan culture in history. The silence will be deafening...

by Anonymousreply 73August 1, 2020 8:12 AM

Sociopathy. Exhibit A: Most Wall Street douches. Exhibit B: Mark Zuckerberg. Exhibit C: Meghan Markle

by Anonymousreply 74August 1, 2020 8:16 AM

Transsexuals. We're all supposed to pretend like Dick isn't a dude anymore. Dick is now a chick named Leslie. And Leslie is a lesbian - and don't you dare say Dick is a dyke!

by Anonymousreply 75August 1, 2020 8:20 AM

I second drinking culture! I never understood the hype about expensive alcohol and it's the same as drugs

by Anonymousreply 76August 1, 2020 8:24 AM

Obsessively getting tatted = "socially acceptable" cutting/self-harm, IMO, from my own observation of some acquantances.

I know it's traditional in many societies and people are really into it, yet I don't get it, and probably never will.

by Anonymousreply 77August 1, 2020 8:33 AM

Every time I'm grocery shopping I'm reminded of all the delicious, nutritious foods that vegans can't eat. It must be awful to have to eat so much soy meet the daily requirement for protein.

Such a boring, dreary lifestyle, not to mention the diet so sorely lacking in essential nutrients.

by Anonymousreply 78August 1, 2020 8:43 AM

[quote]Microblogging on Facebook, shunting all of one's interactions with friends and family to "stages" like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram is mental illness.

I can't understand the Dataloungers who know all the heinous things that have been posted here, but then claim someone who tweets something is mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 79August 1, 2020 8:46 AM

I was in an Italian Restaurant and one of my dinner mates - a spoiled neurotic and rich housewife. actually asked the owner if her pasta was going to be cooked in fresh water because she didn't want want it mixed with any gluten that might have lingered in the pot. Gluten allergy. It was a thing back in 2005. These chickas were living in a totally insulated society, where conversation was mainly about maids, hairdressers and cleaning ladies vs MerryMaids.

by Anonymousreply 80August 1, 2020 8:57 AM

r77, there is a link between having tattoos and being at an increased risk of suicide.

Thomas Joiner's interpersonal theory of suicide fascinates me. Basically, the theory argues that it's hard to kill oneself, and that two things have to occur in the same person to lead to a successful suicide: a desire to die, and the capacity to kill oneself. The first is obvious. The second, he believes, comes mostly from a habituation to pain, which can be gained through any numbers of ways -- self-mutilation, physical abuse, drug use, combat, past suicide attempts, and tattoos.

Not to say there is a one-to-one correspondence between self-mutilation and tattoos, but I think there must be some underlying psychopathology.

by Anonymousreply 81August 1, 2020 9:22 AM

American Exceptionalism in eating is exceptionally American, not to be found elsewhere.

Will the pizza be gluten free? Will the pasta water be fresh and filtered? Do you add salt to the water? Himalayan salt? Only a small pinch, perfect? What kind of filtering system do you use for the water? And can I have free range chicken instead of duck in the Indonesian risotto but with the miso-citrus sauce from that other dish instead of the Indonesian? Can I have the fried langoustines but fried without batter Of any kind, no, just fried, but air fried, not oil fried? I want the potatoes and squid dish but can you cook and serve them separately?

by Anonymousreply 82August 1, 2020 9:38 AM

Wearing headphones everywhere.

Very anti-social.

by Anonymousreply 83August 1, 2020 10:09 AM

Walking in the middle of a sidewalk and expecting everyone to move out of your way like some kind of slow-moving, self-involved juggernaut.

by Anonymousreply 84August 1, 2020 10:38 AM

If I listen to music on headphones in public, r83, it's as a defense mechanism against the antisocial behavior of others. I don't do it otherwise. I take public transportation and I'm not going to just sit there and listen to the shrieking and squalling of others on their speakerphones. They're the antisocial ones, not me.

by Anonymousreply 85August 1, 2020 10:41 AM

R84 Ugh, nothing worse than the “friend” group walking side by side who don’t shift for anyone, forcing you out into the street to pass.

by Anonymousreply 86August 1, 2020 10:51 AM

Optimism is a pathology that is literally killing the planet.

by Anonymousreply 87August 1, 2020 10:52 AM

R85. That's a cop out. When was the last time you helped a lost person that needed directions or someone in public that needed help? I think you like living in your bubble and avoiding others including those that may need help.

by Anonymousreply 88August 1, 2020 10:56 AM

You're always such a joy, Sylvia.

by Anonymousreply 89August 1, 2020 10:56 AM

I don't really "live in (my) bubble," though, r88. I hardly ever put on headphones in public. I ONLY do it when someone is speakerphoning. Or maybe clicking their gum. I don't really like to wear headphones in public.

by Anonymousreply 90August 1, 2020 11:00 AM

OP, first I’m going to need to see a list of “largely accepted social behaviors” because I’m pretty sure there aren’t any of those any more.

And I love R5.

by Anonymousreply 91August 1, 2020 11:01 AM

speakerphoning

by Anonymousreply 92August 1, 2020 11:02 AM

R73 The Romans understood meat to be an unhealthy "luxury" food. The Roman army conquered the world on a vegetarian diet. When the men were given meat to eat, they complained.

Sorry to disturb your deafening silence.

by Anonymousreply 93August 1, 2020 11:04 AM

[quote] Vegan and vegetarian people I'd say.

I've been a vegetarian for 26 years now. I hated to see how animals are treated in the meat production and decided to, after a few years of pondering, finally do something about it. If being empathetic towards animals is a mental illness then my God am I happy to be crazy.

by Anonymousreply 94August 1, 2020 11:04 AM

R73 Name a great culture that did not involve slavery, religious persecution or superstition, or some other form of barbarism. What 's your point?

by Anonymousreply 95August 1, 2020 11:10 AM

OP is a moron. Admittedly some vegans can be too extreme or militant, but I’ve been a vegetarian most my life because I don’t support the needless suffering of animals. Since when is compassion neurosis or mental illness. I mean, of all the things someone could pick to find fault with.

by Anonymousreply 96August 1, 2020 11:29 AM

I went vegetarian in 1976 then went whole food, plant based 8 years ago. My spouse is a big meat eater. We've been together 32 years and it's not a problem for either of us. I'm not sure why the OP has a problem with it.

by Anonymousreply 97August 1, 2020 11:53 AM

Females who are constantly dieting, talking about dieting/diets, latest fad diet, how much they ate, what they ate, what they made it with, tricks to lose weight etc.

Every single one of them has an eating disorder.

by Anonymousreply 98August 1, 2020 12:03 PM

R93 No, not really.

You just can't transport meat easily but excavations show that in fact some was consumed.

Barely was big at the time, even today meat is often more of a seasoning that a main course in much of Italy, but they do eat it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99August 1, 2020 12:09 PM

It's OP's guilt speaking. Back in the 90s when I became a vegetarian I sometimes had verbally violent reactions from some inviduals who found out I didn't eat meat. A fuck buddy who perfectly well knew I'd been a vegetarian for years invited me to a dinner at his home and, surprise surprise, he'd cooked meat. When I refused to eat it he got all upset and started blaming me for being a picky asshole. Well, he had other issues as well but that was one of the reasons I cut him out completely of my life.

Some people take it as a personal insult that someone else is not like them. With animal killing it's most probably the guilt that's making them react so violently. They know they don't need meat to survive and feel guilty about it since in the end there are very few psychopaths among us who don't feel any empathy towards animals. Most of us still remember being little kids and loving all the fuzzy bunnies and puppies.

Maybe a bit surprisingly I don't necessarily condemn hunting, or at least not hunting that's done right and with minimal suffering to the animal. It's the meat industry that's responsible for most of the suffering animals must endure. And then people buy the meat, let it rot in the fridge and then throw it out. What a life.

by Anonymousreply 100August 1, 2020 12:12 PM

Old saying: "If you're not a Communist by the time you're 25, you have no heart, and if you're one after you're 25, you have no brains."

That's an old Lefty joke, by the way, courtesy of some now old children of old time NY 1930s Wormen's Circle parents.

Political correctness and blaming the West for all the world's ills.

by Anonymousreply 101August 1, 2020 12:12 PM

Putting costumes on pets.

by Anonymousreply 102August 1, 2020 12:19 PM

R89 Yes, but I'm not wrong.

R81 [quote] The second, he believes, comes mostly from a habituation to pain, which can be gained through any numbers of ways -- self-mutilation, physical abuse, drug use, combat, past suicide attempts, and tattoos. Not to say there is a one-to-one correspondence between self-mutilation and tattoos, but I think there must be some underlying psychopathology.

By that reasoning, marathon runners and triathletes should also be successful at suicide as one could argue that they are also used to pain and are abusing their bodies for no discernible benefit.

by Anonymousreply 103August 1, 2020 12:23 PM

People who walk through stores talking about NOTHING on their phones.

Cellphones are like pacifiers from adults afraid of any silence that might make them have thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 104August 1, 2020 12:24 PM

Hunting when you are not hungry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105August 1, 2020 12:25 PM

OP is an asshole. Vegetarians and vegans are not neurotic or mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 106August 1, 2020 12:41 PM

Wearing daily make up and expensive potions for each body part. Insane.

by Anonymousreply 107August 1, 2020 12:41 PM

Wearing makeup and jewelry to the gym.

by Anonymousreply 108August 1, 2020 12:49 PM

Anything more than a couple of allergies.

by Anonymousreply 109August 1, 2020 12:51 PM

R84, this!

by Anonymousreply 110August 1, 2020 12:53 PM

R27, you're being kind when you say treated AS humans. Humans should be so lucky to be treated equally to an animal by a lot of these people.

People who go berserk if they hear a story about a dog being abandoned. but don't have anywhere near the compassion for human suffering.

by Anonymousreply 111August 1, 2020 12:59 PM

Old querulous queens bitching about what others do that will have absolutely no effect on those old querulous queens.

by Anonymousreply 112August 1, 2020 1:14 PM

The constant need for other people's approval.

The constant need to establish and re-affirm your social standing (like, being the alpha male / queen bee in the room).

Schadenfreude

Fear of failure

by Anonymousreply 113August 1, 2020 1:18 PM

OP = My way of living is right and those who don't share the same values are sick, Sick, SICK! / wrong, Wrong, WRONG!

by Anonymousreply 114August 1, 2020 1:21 PM

Being afraid of going to the dentist. Also being afraid of getting naked in a group setting.

by Anonymousreply 115August 1, 2020 1:24 PM

R114 But that's the DL Creed!

by Anonymousreply 116August 1, 2020 1:31 PM

Perv alert at r115

by Anonymousreply 117August 1, 2020 1:36 PM

Obsessing over other people’s ethical choices.

by Anonymousreply 118August 1, 2020 1:40 PM

R78 You really don’t think that. If you gave it any thought, you’d realIze it’s not “can’t” eat but “don’t want” for most of us.

I haven’t eaten meat since 1994. I never look at meat in the supermarket or on a menu and think, “oh, I wish I could eat that.” I don’t eat it because I don’t want it. Can’t speak for eveyone, but for me, meat no longer smells like food. It’s not appealing. Roast poultry smells like musty farts to me now.

As for soy, I’m not a big fan. I get protein via nuts.

And finally, I don’t know about you, but it’s the omnivores I’ve known who have limited palettes. I could lie and say I think about them with pity every time I shop, but I don’t, just as you don’t.

by Anonymousreply 119August 1, 2020 1:47 PM

Running until you shit yourself but don’t care because you’re A RUNNER!

by Anonymousreply 120August 1, 2020 1:55 PM

That's hilarious and cringeworthy R61. Maybe a diet manual needs to be put out for these idiots before they travel.

by Anonymousreply 121August 1, 2020 2:07 PM

R106 some are. I know some vegetarians that are fine and don't make a big deal out of it but I do hear stories of some of them that announce it and expect others to work around their diet or worse yet make a big display of unloading their Tupperware full of food at a dinner party to the poor hosts. Even my vegetarian friends cringe at those stories.

As far as vegans, while I don't know any, I hear too many stories in the news about starving children with nutty vegan parents not allowing them the proper amount of protein for growth. A few of the parents have gone to prison. So, yeah, in those cases, it's a neurosis.

by Anonymousreply 122August 1, 2020 2:15 PM

R82, it used to be viewed as extremely rude and frankly lower class to be fussy about food.

When I see people being fussy/demanding in restaurants, I cringe thinking what my very proper battle axe grandmother would think if she had lived to see such behavior.

by Anonymousreply 123August 1, 2020 2:27 PM

R122 Those people are crazy, period. Not just in their eating habits.

by Anonymousreply 124August 1, 2020 2:34 PM

[Quote] I get protein via nuts.

We all do, hon.

by Anonymousreply 125August 1, 2020 2:34 PM

[Quote] I get protein via nuts.

We all do, hon.

by Anonymousreply 126August 1, 2020 2:34 PM

Using politics to control others. Left or right.

by Anonymousreply 127August 1, 2020 2:36 PM

Getting stressed and posting about what other people eat!

by Anonymousreply 128August 1, 2020 2:37 PM

The need to control and modify each component of a dish does not vanish when you become poor. I feed broke dudes who will suck suppurating cancer dick for heroin, but have to have their salmon on a different paper plate with aioli not ranch.

by Anonymousreply 129August 1, 2020 2:39 PM

sports

by Anonymousreply 130August 1, 2020 2:47 PM

Religion - Churches need to lose their tax-free status yesterday.

Ultra extroverts - You know, the ones who cannot stand a quiet moment and have to talk at anyone in their presence.

Republicans

by Anonymousreply 131August 1, 2020 2:50 PM

Absolutely no one wants to listen to your retarded yammering r83

by Anonymousreply 132August 1, 2020 2:58 PM

There seems to be a new breed of hausfrau. These women hang out obsessively at their kids’ (and they always lots of kids) schools. Not really doing much, but claiming to be doing volunteer work. But they are there. All day. Every day.

It starts to look suspiciously like arrested development. Like they can only be comfortable hanging out with children, or they are trying to recreate their own school days. There tends to be a pack of these women hanging out together at the school.

If you want to hang out at the elementary school all day, why not get a job there?

It’s so fucking weird. And no telling what a number it’s doing in their kids, who must grow up thinking women don’t have their own lives or identities.

by Anonymousreply 133August 1, 2020 3:00 PM

People who vote for Biden definitely have a mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 134August 1, 2020 3:04 PM

Worshiping craft beer. And bacon.

by Anonymousreply 135August 1, 2020 3:23 PM

No people who vote for Biden are simply sick of the giant orange turd wreaking havoc like a bull in a china shop.

by Anonymousreply 136August 1, 2020 3:25 PM

To honour the OP, FF-ing a post that's devoid of race-baiting, anti-Semitism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, et cetera because you disagree with it, then getting a posse to brigade the thread and FF the post to greyed-out status.

by Anonymousreply 137August 1, 2020 4:19 PM

R122 I know many many more carnivores who are major assholes. And they make a major fuss of there isn't a substantial portion of meat for them to eat at meals. Should we categorized all carnivores as such too?

by Anonymousreply 138August 1, 2020 4:33 PM

I'm relaying my experience R138. Don't be so sensitive. I didn't categorize all vegetarians or vegans at all though your response may bolster OP's comment.

PS. If anyone is bitching about any portion of food at a dinner party they are clods no matter what they eat.

by Anonymousreply 139August 1, 2020 4:46 PM

Posting on forums

by Anonymousreply 140August 1, 2020 4:54 PM

OP is correct about Vegans. It's attention-seeking OCD mental illness.

But Vegetarians are fine. Especially the ones that are okay with a little fish from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 141August 1, 2020 5:16 PM

R140, it keeps the neighbors from throwing beer cans.

by Anonymousreply 142August 1, 2020 5:17 PM

What's neurotic about that R140?

by Anonymousreply 143August 1, 2020 5:21 PM

We don't "obsess" over your poor ethical choices my dear. We know you have a personality disorder to cope with and it takes all your time. We just offer some constructive criticism from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 144August 1, 2020 5:24 PM

Great vegan cultures from history anyone? There are none because veganism is an unnatural eating/mental disorder.

by Anonymousreply 145August 1, 2020 5:31 PM

I became vegan because of so my many dairy and meat allergies, it made more sense and it was healthier.

by Anonymousreply 146August 1, 2020 5:34 PM

R146, there are individuals who have to eat 'vegan' for one reason or another. Most vegans are not that. Most vegans are tedious attention whores.

by Anonymousreply 147August 1, 2020 5:43 PM

Ugh this thread has derailed into a vegan snooze fest

by Anonymousreply 148August 1, 2020 5:52 PM

R145 the difference is people have a choice now how to get their calories. In the past, they often didn’t. There are many near vegetarian and vegan cultures in ancient history as meat was so scarce. Jesus, why do you guys get such a bee in your bonnet about vegans. People are different, get over it.

by Anonymousreply 149August 1, 2020 5:54 PM

Marriage.

by Anonymousreply 150August 1, 2020 5:57 PM

Not the case, R20.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151August 1, 2020 6:17 PM

Celebs who throw temper tantrums when they don’t get their way. Trump, Serena Williams,

by Anonymousreply 152August 1, 2020 6:30 PM

What the hell is a meat allergy? Dairy, I've heard but meat? How does that manifest?

by Anonymousreply 153August 1, 2020 6:44 PM

People who FF topics because they dont like them or what OP has to say. Unless it's someone screaming "Die F@gs and n^g^ers" don't be childish, just ignore that thread.

by Anonymousreply 154August 1, 2020 6:48 PM

[quote]just ignore that thread.

Love to. Take it up with Muriel. I'm done.

by Anonymousreply 155August 1, 2020 6:50 PM

Racism. That shit is a brain disorder. So is conservatism. Something is wrong with them

by Anonymousreply 156August 1, 2020 6:50 PM

Er, that should have read "Workmen's Circle" (up in the Catskills)

R101

by Anonymousreply 157August 1, 2020 7:43 PM

And, what are the names of these great Vegan cultures? I didn't say vegetarian - people who eat dairy and/or fish - I mean the ones who eat zero animal products. Still waiting...

by Anonymousreply 158August 1, 2020 8:01 PM

R149 has apparently never had to sit through the exact same smug vegan lecture over and over from every goddamned vegan out there.

I mean, there are some that aren't like that, but they're a tiny minority. Most vegans I've met are in it to lord their moral superiority over everyone else, and/or be the center of attention at every meal time, quizzing the waiter for half an hour while everyone else rolls their eyes.

by Anonymousreply 159August 1, 2020 8:04 PM

^ this didn’t happen.

by Anonymousreply 160August 1, 2020 8:15 PM

Body piercings

by Anonymousreply 161August 1, 2020 9:14 PM

R160, are you kidding me? That happens uncountable times every fucking day in this country. It's happened to me personally dozens of times, to the point where I never hang out people who make it a point to tell me they're vegan.

by Anonymousreply 162August 1, 2020 9:16 PM

R162 if you think everybody is an arsehole, maybe you’re the arsehole. Tofu for thought, no?

by Anonymousreply 163August 1, 2020 9:19 PM

Well, given I don't think everyone's an asshole, and never said or claimed anything of the sort, maybe you're the asshole here?

by Anonymousreply 164August 1, 2020 9:41 PM

Personally to you DOZENS of times? Really? The evil vegans hounding you banging on about veganism?Are you sponsored by an abattoir or something? Pull the other one.

by Anonymousreply 165August 1, 2020 9:49 PM

R165, your ignorance of a thing doesn't negate the thing.

You're either a vegan yourself, and thus oblivious, or you're just lucky and don't live around hippie vegans.

by Anonymousreply 166August 1, 2020 9:53 PM

Nope, not a vegan. I enjoyed a lovely spatchcocked chicken for dinner actually. It’s from this cookbook. You should try it, it’s delicious. I just abhor ignorance and hyperbole. Why does the fact that some don’t want to eat meat bother you so much? It literally doesn’t affect you in any way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167August 1, 2020 10:01 PM

Just wait until your vegan gives you cheese guilt while downing IPAs.

by Anonymousreply 168August 1, 2020 10:04 PM

R167, are you seriously mentally damaged? I don't care what people want to eat or not want to eat. How can you miss the point so spectacularly?

Jesus, WTF is wrong with you?

Do you not know what an "attention whore" is?

by Anonymousreply 169August 1, 2020 10:18 PM

R169 I bow to your superior argument. Veganism is clearly a sign of mental illness. You’ve convinced me. I’ll keep a watchful eye for the hordes of “hippie vegans” just waiting to lecture me.

by Anonymousreply 170August 1, 2020 10:27 PM

God, you are so damned stupid, R170.

by Anonymousreply 171August 1, 2020 10:33 PM

R30 - I have a friend who is a psychologist who says that Keeping Up With the Kardashians is not only a sign of the lowbrow nature of modern American society but also of the fact that young Americans tend to be much lonelier than other cultures. Most cities and suburbs are built for cars so time is spent in the car. Technology has taken away actual human interaction. These factors, among others, made the Kardashians their millions...a generation who found in them some sort of "friends" and "girls next door"...they provided gossip, a group, a big family (sort of the way our ancestors used to live in groups with lots of siblings and offspring).

So yes, a sign of a modern mental health challenge: isolation and it's ensuing results.

by Anonymousreply 172August 1, 2020 10:38 PM

This thread is now off the rails. OP, I think the guys arguing about the vegan issue are good examples of "neurosis or mental illness." Are you one of them?

by Anonymousreply 173August 1, 2020 10:38 PM

The obsession that a lot of people have with pets these days is imo tied to the amount of adults with no children. On a gay board you are going to have a larger amount of adults with no children so will see more obsessive behavior generally. Particularly women with no children.

by Anonymousreply 174August 1, 2020 11:24 PM

In my 60 years I've never met one of these smug vegans, or known a real-life vegan to lecture anyone on food or morality.

by Anonymousreply 175August 2, 2020 1:53 AM

I have r175

Usually fat unattractive vegan straight women.

by Anonymousreply 176August 2, 2020 1:55 AM

Well, I haven't, not a single one, ever. The only place I ever hear about them is on the internet.

by Anonymousreply 177August 2, 2020 2:12 AM

R175 - you meet them in the upper middle classes of select parts of LA. For example, when I worked out in Woodland Hills or WeHo at Equinox a lot of the trainers or yoga instructors were. They kept it up sporadically. The trainers did that stuff anyway because their whole world was about protein powders and nut milks and the semi-affluent or ultra-affluent there had the time to do it and nothing better to do with themselves.

I would say because so much meat in the US is full of hormones that it's hard to become organic, hormone-free, no antibiotics in all things. It is also time consuming and all-absorbing. I personally found them AND vegetarians annoying. When we went out, boom, party pooper had to announce he/she couldn't partake because "I am a vegetarian/vegan/pescatarian/100 percent plant-based".

by Anonymousreply 178August 2, 2020 2:50 AM

R178, that place and that class of people is so far removed from my reality I'll have to take your word for it.

by Anonymousreply 179August 2, 2020 3:06 AM

Latino men who present hole to you when they message you on Grindr. Dude no one wants to see that. Why is it always Latino men that do that?

by Anonymousreply 180August 2, 2020 2:08 PM

[Quote] OP, I think the guys arguing about the vegan issue are good examples of "neurosis or mental illness." Are you one of them?

R173, no I'm not. But I did post about neurotics who have a lot of allergies. I think allergies can be psychosomatic.

by Anonymousreply 181August 2, 2020 2:16 PM

R179 - and that is one of the reasons I feel more and more that life in the US has kind of lost it's charm. You can work like a dog and still not be able to be in a place like that and get stuck in a homophobic hell. You have to be lucky to be among those vegan lunatics and that is as good as it gets.

We have become a nation of nutjobs.

by Anonymousreply 182August 2, 2020 3:15 PM

R182 except veganism isn’t new. One of the things I enjoy about being an American is not having to justify my ethical decisions to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 183August 2, 2020 3:21 PM

R183 - no you don't have to justify it but when it becomes preachy and holier-than-thou like in much of the LA culture it can become a bit like the right wing. They become like a tribe in certain social circles and heaven forbid you order some chicken breast or yoghurt because they jump with endless tales of the evil of meat and dairy just as you are about to put some damn food in your mouth after a long day. It's like a cult in some places.

by Anonymousreply 184August 2, 2020 3:33 PM

Why do you hang out with high school dropout cult members?

by Anonymousreply 185August 2, 2020 5:50 PM

Finding religion.

by Anonymousreply 186August 2, 2020 10:43 PM

R185 - high school drop outs couldn't afford to be vegan or even know what that is.

by Anonymousreply 187August 2, 2020 11:29 PM

Veganism.

It’s clear from the cuckoo responses on this thread.

I’d rather be talking about real unusual behaviors.

by Anonymousreply 188August 3, 2020 4:33 AM

R188 - well my roommate is a sweetheart but the girl is one of those obsessed juicers. Those people who need cold pressed and organic and all that jazz all the time. The matcha and Whole Foods supplement crowd...there is something a bit off about that whole subculture of women. I think they are lonelier middle aged liberal women, who, because they didn't evolve into a Karen or have a baby are now finding a substitute.

by Anonymousreply 189August 5, 2020 12:44 AM

Better to embrace Kale than to embrace the Karen within them.

by Anonymousreply 190August 5, 2020 1:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!