Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I think I have a cut on my eyeball!

I have to wait until Monday to go to the eye doctor. They told me to use an eye wash and artificial tears until then. But... my eyeball is driving me crazy! What should I do until Monday? DL, you're my only hope to make it through the weekend!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 2, 2020 10:48 AM

Maybe you could tape the one, injured eye closed until you see the doctor. It might heal faster that way, without the blinking and friction.

by Anonymousreply 1July 31, 2020 8:33 PM

Try an antihistamine, OP. I developed a stye under my eye lid and found a combination of painkillers and antihistamine dealt with the pain and irritation mostly and then some comfort eye drops helped with the rest to make it bearable until it cleared up.

by Anonymousreply 2July 31, 2020 8:37 PM

Do you have a grapefruit spoon, OP?

by Anonymousreply 3July 31, 2020 8:39 PM

Smoke copious amounts of pot, silly.

by Anonymousreply 4July 31, 2020 8:43 PM

Go the emergency room - NOW

You don't wait to see an eye doctor.

by Anonymousreply 5July 31, 2020 8:45 PM

What R5 said. It happened to me and I went to the emergency room. I had a scratched cornea and they treated me immediately.

Of course, there was no covid then.

by Anonymousreply 6July 31, 2020 9:15 PM

My PCP told me I could wait and so did the eye doctor so I'm going to wait. I am going to load up on Benadryl this weekend to take my mind off it.

by Anonymousreply 7July 31, 2020 9:18 PM

If the artificial tears aren't doing anything the irritation is only going to get worse. You very likely need an antibiotic drop. Get to an urgent care if possible. If not, then it's the ER. The longer you wait, the worse it will be all around.

by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2020 9:18 PM

I agree with R5 or even Lens Crafters. There are doctors who can help you.

by Anonymousreply 9July 31, 2020 9:21 PM

This happened to me. Scratched cornea. Went to an ER. They said to just let it heal.

At least the Doctor who examined me was cute.

Man up, OP.

by Anonymousreply 10July 31, 2020 9:21 PM

Just smoke copious amounts of pot, silly.

by Anonymousreply 11July 31, 2020 9:23 PM

I was on my way to Urgent Care when I got a message from my doctor that said: "You should see a an ophthalmologist or optometrist, the corneal abrasion is visible with slit lamp which regular offices do not have." So Urgent Care or even the PCP could not help me with this. I don't think my insurance would cover an optometrist. Maybe, but I'd rather wait until Monday and see a regular opthamologist.

[quote] Just smoke copious amounts of pot, silly.

I don't smoke pot but I could really go for some Vicodin.

by Anonymousreply 12July 31, 2020 9:25 PM

Please go to the ER. They should have a list of doctors on call for emergencies, including ophthalmologists.

by Anonymousreply 13July 31, 2020 9:29 PM

Go to Lens Crafters....a co-worker cut his cornea and had to have 2 surgeries. Your eyes are noting to mess with.

If you have a game plan already and refuse suggestions, why did you post at all????

by Anonymousreply 14July 31, 2020 9:30 PM

[quote] why did you post at all????

For the suggestions like r3. If it were that serious wouldn't my doctor tell me to go to ER?

by Anonymousreply 15July 31, 2020 9:44 PM

[quote] Go the emergency room - NOW

Another vote for the ER, or at least Urgent Care.

Being an idiot, I tried to remove my contacts hours after I had chopped up a jalapeno pepper. I figured doing the dishes afterward would remove any oils on my fingers. Boy, was I wrong about that. Anyway, they gave me a prescription for an ointment which helped ease the pain and prevent an infection.

Unfortunately, there was nothing they could give me for common sense.

You don't want to mess around with your eyes

by Anonymousreply 16July 31, 2020 9:45 PM

Ok you are all scaring me. I will go to Urgent Care. If nothing else they can give me an antibiotic to take until Monday.

by Anonymousreply 17July 31, 2020 9:47 PM

Rinse your eye with saline solution.

by Anonymousreply 18July 31, 2020 9:52 PM

Nothing helps this constant pain - I had a friend who waited and her husband died. She killed the fucker. Pain makes people crazy.

by Anonymousreply 19July 31, 2020 9:58 PM

I've had this happen to me. Go to the drugstore and buy some Muro (it is salt solution). It will sting at first, but it will reduce any edema in the eye and will help the cornea to heal. I have a condition in my eyes (corneal epithelial dystrophy) where the surface of my cornea scrapes off all the time because the cells are irregular and this stuff works very well. I know Walgreens has it, but you may want to check around first because not all stores carry it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 31, 2020 10:06 PM

Ok, just as I was heading out to Urgent Care, I got a call from a doctor's office I had called earlier today. I had left a message with them asking for an urgent new patient appointment. The message service said that they would return the call on Monday so I was not expecting to hear from them until next week. Anyway, the receptionist was calling to tell me that the doctor had to work late and was willing to see me this evening. So I sped across Houston to the medical center. When I got there the security guard didn't even believe that i had an appointment for so late-- it was after 5:30. But sure enough the doctor was waiting for me. She said that I had lots of scratches on my left eye and also on my right (which I can't feel) and she prescribed me some antibiotic drops. The drops are now stuck in Walgreens insurance purgatory but hopefully I will get them tonight. Worst case scenario I won't get them until Monday but I am a lot farther ahead than I would have otherwise been.

I guess the moral of this story is that doctors are desperate for patients in this climate. Another lesson is that it is possible to make it across Houston in 5pm traffic right now. None of this would have been possible without COVID-19. Thank you pandemic!

by Anonymousreply 21July 31, 2020 11:50 PM

What did you cut yourself with to get cuts in both eyes?

by Anonymousreply 22July 31, 2020 11:55 PM

As another poster said, Muro128 is very good for this and also Refresh Optive eye drops. You can get both at Walgreens or CVS, non prescription. I've had lots of scratched corneas and the drops help it to heal but I can tell you, nothing will make the extreme pain go away. In my experience whenever I get a scratched cornea my eye is in excruciating pain for 9 hours then gradually starts feeling better and within 24 hours it should feel much better, although a little sore. But the pain will go away on it's own, even untreated, in around 9 hours. Of course if you have powerful pain pills that will help you to deal with it. The drops will help it to heal but the pain has to go away on it's own. I've had to go through the 9 hours of living hell with truly excruciating pain and constant tearing in my scratched eye with no pain medication and it is hell.

by Anonymousreply 23August 1, 2020 12:12 AM

I don't know how I cut them-- maybe from taking out contacts the other day, but I've used contacts for 25 years and never had any problems. I have eye drops and the eye wash really helped. I don't know how to make Walgreens sort out my prescription more quickly. I wish I did.

by Anonymousreply 24August 1, 2020 12:17 AM

Did you wake up and were in pain? You could have what I've got with my corneas, it typically hits people in their 40's. It's called epithelial basement membrane dystrophy.

by Anonymousreply 25August 1, 2020 12:29 AM

[quote]I think I have a cut on my eyeball!

That's what I used to say when Martin belted me one good

by Anonymousreply 26August 1, 2020 12:31 AM

[quote] My PCP told me I could wait and so did the eye doctor so I'm going to wait.

You should NOT wait - but you chose to do so, that is your choice.

by Anonymousreply 27August 1, 2020 12:33 AM

If you read the thread, you'd know I didn't wait. But now I might not be able to get the medication tonight anyway.

by Anonymousreply 28August 1, 2020 12:34 AM

OP what is the problem with the prescription?

by Anonymousreply 29August 1, 2020 12:39 AM

The girl at Walgreens keeps saying they can't see the price but the insurance says they should be able to and that it's in the system. It's a communication problem with an idiot. I am now calling a different Walgreens.

by Anonymousreply 30August 1, 2020 12:45 AM

r27

If your PCP told you to wait, then the insurance won't cover a trip to Urgent Care or the ER.

by Anonymousreply 31August 1, 2020 1:32 AM

[quote] The girl at Walgreens keeps saying they can't see the price but the insurance says they should be able to and that it's in the system. It's a communication problem with an idiot. I am now calling a different Walgreens.

I would show up at the Walgreens and not leave until you get your prescription. Pay for it out of your own pocket if you have to, your eyes are not something to fool around with

by Anonymousreply 32August 1, 2020 1:36 AM

I cut my cornea. HORRENDOUS pain. Fortunately I live in a city with a dedicated eye hospital and they even have walk in emergency at any hour. I went. They looked at it through there special instruments. They checked me into the hospital and treated it all night every few hours. and the next day they put a plastic lens on it and continued treating it and let me go after more than 1 full day. They said it was fortunate I came as it would have got worse and been a real issue.

If you think you have cut your eye, I think you should call hospitals to see which one has the speciality and go to that hospital. Do not delay.

by Anonymousreply 33August 1, 2020 1:52 AM

Ah, silly me. I see you did go to the hospital and had it looked at, good for you! I hope you get your medicine. Be pushy!!

by Anonymousreply 34August 1, 2020 1:55 AM

I went to the "good" Walgreens, and they agreed that the other Walgreens were being jackasses and filled my prescription. I'm glad I was able to see the eye doctor. Urgent Care would not have known about the problem in my other eye. Thanks everybody for your support!

by Anonymousreply 35August 1, 2020 1:59 AM

R35 OP good to hear

by Anonymousreply 36August 1, 2020 2:00 AM

Glad you listened to us and things worked out!

by Anonymousreply 37August 1, 2020 5:37 AM

I had a scratch, and at first the doctor was going to give me a contact lens to protect the eye while it healed, but then she changed her mind because I would have needed to get back to her office (quite a distance) to get it removed, so she gave me some samples of an over the counter product called Blink Gel Tears which are lubricating eye drops. They're fantastic. Pain went away instantly, and the eye was perfectly fine the net day.

by Anonymousreply 38August 1, 2020 6:31 AM

How'd the cat get on your eyeball in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 39August 2, 2020 10:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!