Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is anything about how Oprah is to work for?

Nice or nasty? Or is everyone totally silent due to NDAs?

by Anonymousreply 32August 6, 2020 8:04 AM

I've read that she surrounds herself with white people. I remember seeing an interview with some guy (can't remember who it was) years ago who had appeared on her show as a guest. He said she was all sweetness and light as long as the cameras were on, but when they would break all that washed away immediately and she'd stomp off the stage.

Personally I've never cared for her. I've always found her very fake.

by Anonymousreply 1July 31, 2020 8:30 PM

A guy who did a radio show said the station where he worked was interviewing her years ago. Everyone lost their minds out of excitement to have her on. They received emails ahead of time from her people requesting that no one make eye contact or address her directly. An intern was overcome and star struck and walked up to Oprah and told her she was her personal hero etc. She was immediately fired. Then the guy with the radio show was fired for talking about the incident. This was in Florida probably 10-15 years ago, can't remember the radio station.

by Anonymousreply 2July 31, 2020 8:43 PM

I'm guessing she has iron clad NDAs ala Trump which is why there is very little info about working for her. She did however do an entire episode of her show about how wonderful it is to work for her, totally unbiased piece, lol.

Always seemed phony to me

What happened with her step mother who she was having evicted? Seemed like the step mother was getting ready to spill the beans and then went silent, O obviously had better lawyers. What stood out to me from the story was that when stepmother married her father, stepmom sold her house and used the proceeds to save O's father's business (barber?) which is why she thought she was entitled to a house to live in.

by Anonymousreply 3July 31, 2020 8:48 PM

Does Oprah’s father just keep working to embarrass his daughter?

by Anonymousreply 4July 31, 2020 8:56 PM

A million years ago when she still flew commercial, she and Julia Roberts were voted most dreaded, horrible passengers by a poll of flight attendants.

by Anonymousreply 5July 31, 2020 11:34 PM

A very good friend of mine worked for the Oprah show right after she started syndication. Maybe because of the NDA, there was never anything to talk about since he said it was a dream job. Everyone was very well paid and the show ran very well. If there was tension, it was due to the subject matter of the particular show, which he did talk about. Those who stayed either retired or went on with OWN. As for surrounding with white people, that's total bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2020 1:05 AM

The unauthorized biography on her that came out a few years ago said that she was quite demanding of her staff.

by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2020 12:21 PM

This title is very confusing - horrendous grammar

by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2020 12:46 PM

Sorry, is Oprah a cunt at work?

by Anonymousreply 9August 5, 2020 7:33 PM

R8 I had to read it several times to understand what it meant.

by Anonymousreply 10August 5, 2020 7:39 PM

I live in Chicago and knew a lot of people who worked at Harpo. She's just fine. Professional. Demanding. But not unkind. I don't think she was known for being very warm and fuzzy with her staff. Expected a lot, and they delivered. But there were very few legit complaints all the years she was filming.

Basically, like any respected CEO of a major corporation, which is saying a lot since most CEOs are not respected.

I once rode down in an elevator with her. I got on the elevator and there was Oprah, and one of her dogs. To hide my surprise I reached down to pat her pup. She told me she was taking him for a "spa day" and then whispered that she says that rather than groomer because he freaks out when he hears groomer. Seemed totally normal and centered...and, seemingly, takes the dog to the groomer by herself!

by Anonymousreply 11August 5, 2020 7:42 PM

I think she just likes thing the way she likes them. We’ve become a bunch of weenies who can’t handle strong-willed people who accomplish things. It doesn’t happen by kowtow’ing to everyone and being a pushover. If we were all a bunch of SJWs nothing would get done.

by Anonymousreply 12August 5, 2020 7:55 PM

"kowtow’ing" -- ??

by Anonymousreply 13August 5, 2020 7:59 PM

Oprah delegated executive leadership of her production company to white women who were legendary cunts. Employees were desperate to escape what was then called "Harpo."

by Anonymousreply 14August 5, 2020 8:00 PM

You don’t go from nothing to bring a billionaire by being nice all the time. Very few billionaires came from nothing.

by Anonymousreply 15August 5, 2020 8:07 PM

Being

by Anonymousreply 16August 5, 2020 8:07 PM

Oh she’s super friendly, OP. Very down to earth. She would take the whole crew out every Friday for happy hour and wings. Remembered everyone’s birthday, too. She’d bring in homemade cupcakes. Oprah Winfrey is a real peach, just a lovely, kind woman.

by Anonymousreply 17August 5, 2020 8:11 PM

R12 is an idiot mouthing talking points. We actually do not need people appointing themselves as superior and barking orders at us. Fuck anyone claiming otherwise.

Some of you sound programmed for obedience. This fascist bullshit needs calling out.

by Anonymousreply 18August 5, 2020 8:13 PM

R8: Do you agree that the stench of cheap borscht is permeating this thread?

by Anonymousreply 19August 5, 2020 8:33 PM

R18 welcome to the US.

by Anonymousreply 20August 5, 2020 8:35 PM

OWN's behind the scenes of the last season of the Oprah Winfrey show did a good job capturing what it was like to work for her when the show was still on. She had high expectations for the content of her program, but she was not unprofessional, like r11 said.

Most of her staff had worked for her for ages and Oprah was only involved in major decisions about the show. At that point she was basically just showing up to be briefed, get dressed and do her thing. She is practically retired at this point, her staff is the best in media and they get paid millions to keep her brand going.

by Anonymousreply 21August 5, 2020 8:35 PM

She is a fat self-hating fat person who is driven by self-hatred and she is a nightmare to work for.

by Anonymousreply 22August 5, 2020 8:50 PM

r22:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 5, 2020 8:55 PM

Oprah on MadTV

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 5, 2020 10:12 PM

Well I, for one, think she's TREMENDOUS!

by Anonymousreply 25August 5, 2020 10:52 PM

Oh my!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 5, 2020 11:01 PM

^ not suprised she is being called out by republicans, as if being wealthy is a circumstance unique to white people 🙄

by Anonymousreply 27August 6, 2020 12:12 AM

She introduced me to Elkhart Tolle which to me exploring Buddhism, which I will always be grateful.

by Anonymousreply 28August 6, 2020 12:25 AM

"Elkhart Tolle"

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 29August 6, 2020 12:29 AM

I knew several people who worked and used to work at her studio. One of my friends owned a catering and bakery business that delivered to Harpo often.

No one ever told me the nitty gritty details, but what I did hear is that if you were working at the studio and willing to all but sleep there, you were in the Inner Circle and she would treat you very well. If you ignored the beck and call, or in some way displeased her, then suddenly you were Dead To Her.

And I don't think she was Mommie Dearest, turns-on-a-dime kind of drama, like you brought her coffee in the wrong cup or something, you were dead to her. I don't think it was a toxic place, necessarily, either. But you had to be 1000 percent Team Oprah or fuck the entire way off.

by Anonymousreply 30August 6, 2020 1:03 AM

Oprah is known not to tip well or at all

by Anonymousreply 31August 6, 2020 5:22 AM

That is so damning R31. If true she doesn't deserve her success.

by Anonymousreply 32August 6, 2020 8:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!