Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

MLK's Niece Goes After Obama for Politicizing John Lewis' Funeral

I know DL doesn't have an answer for this, (though many nasty ones will be offered), but what is wrong with these people? Doesn't she know who her uncle was? Does she know she's black??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 31, 2020 11:50 PM

In a Friday morning appearance on Fox & Friends, Dr. Alveda King, the niece of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., criticized former President Barack Obama for his comments at the funeral service for Rep. John Lewis, saying that Obama made his remarks too political and misrepresented President Donald Trump‘s intentions for the upcoming election.

At Thursday’s service, Obama had moving words of tribute for his friend, who had passed away after a battle with cancer, but also had some pointed words of criticism for Trump. He did not mention Trump by name but the meaning was clear.

by Anonymousreply 1July 31, 2020 6:40 PM

She’s a Trumper. Zzzz

by Anonymousreply 2July 31, 2020 6:41 PM

Host Ainsley Earhardt played a clip of Obama’s remarks and said that she thought it “sounded more like a campaign event or a rally,” and then asked King, a Fox News contributor, for her reaction.

“I guess we should have expected that the left, including President Obama, would take that occasion for a political moment,” said King. “They’ll grab at any opportunity, that’s to be understood.”

“I’ve chosen not to politicize the death of Congressman Lewis, but remember him as a peaceful, nonviolent warrior, and encourage everyone to resolve our conflicts peacefully,” she added. “However, President Obama, with wordplay, took us back to the 1960s.”

King continued, describing the 1960s as an era “when segregation was still on the books,” was “still legal,” and those in power were trying to enforce and maintain that. She sought to distinguish the use of law enforcement then and now. “When the National Guard goes in, sent by the president, for example, or the state troopers, they’re trying to protect the people of America in every community and to save lives and protect people — That is a totally distinct difference.”

King also took issue with Obama’s suggestion that Trump was making “an effort to undermine the voting process.”

“We do want people to vote safely, and we need the voting process to be fair, and so to politicize the funeral of a peaceful warrior — I mean, I guess they grabbed at an opportunity to be political.”

by Anonymousreply 3July 31, 2020 6:42 PM

Well, from what I saw, the eulogizing was not entirely about the dearly departed. There was too much pontificating, in my opinion. But my opinion doesn’t matter. Perhaps Lewis would not have minded.

by Anonymousreply 4July 31, 2020 6:43 PM

Maybe she needs to shut up, not President Obama or anyone who speaks out against racist Trump.

by Anonymousreply 5July 31, 2020 6:43 PM

She ain't black and neither was Herman Cain.

by Anonymousreply 6July 31, 2020 6:43 PM

Does anyone really imagine Obama's remarks weren't cleared through the family?

Does anyone imagine John Lewis would want to forgo one the last opportunities this side of the grave to press his ideals in his name? Silly.

by Anonymousreply 7July 31, 2020 6:44 PM

Ah, the sanctimonious King family, who still try to make every nickel and dime they possibly can off King's "I Have A Dream" speech, criticizing someone who actually achieved the dream...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2020 6:45 PM

News Flash: Blacks can be deplorables, too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 31, 2020 6:46 PM

Imagine, even she has to put blonde 👱‍♀️ in her hair to get on Fox!

by Anonymousreply 10July 31, 2020 6:49 PM

I for one fail to see her relevance. She obviously has no idea who either John Lewis was or who Obama is. She also turned a blonde eye to the standing ovation. She obviously doesn’t mind making a complete fool of herself.

by Anonymousreply 11July 31, 2020 6:50 PM

I meant blind eye, but blonde eye works

by Anonymousreply 12July 31, 2020 6:51 PM

She has a point about the politicizing.

by Anonymousreply 13July 31, 2020 6:51 PM

R9 ["News Flash: Blacks can be deplorables, too!"]

I've posted this many times before. I don't care if people believe it cost her votes, I will always love Hilary for giving us a gift by making 'Deplorable' a noun.

by Anonymousreply 14July 31, 2020 6:53 PM

Lewis was a politician and a civil rights activist. Do you people think that those giving eulogies should have focused on praising Lewis’s amazing banana bread recipe?

by Anonymousreply 15July 31, 2020 6:54 PM

Her goddaughter is the Republican nominee to replace John Lewis.

[quote] In 2004, Stanton-King was convicted on federal conspiracy charges for her role in a car theft ring and served two years in prison.[4] She gave birth while serving her sentence. Stanton-King was pardoned by President Donald Trump in February 2020. [5][6][7][8]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 31, 2020 6:54 PM

[quote]She has a point about the politicizing.

Based on Lewis' entire lifetime of work, he would have told Obama that he didn't go far enough.

by Anonymousreply 17July 31, 2020 6:56 PM

I knew as he was talking, someone was planning to come out and criticize him in an effort to make a name for themselves.

Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 18July 31, 2020 6:58 PM

She showed up to gorge herself at the buffet. They had to wrestle the shrimp platter out of her hands.

by Anonymousreply 19July 31, 2020 8:58 PM

I predict this is the trend we are going to see for the next 90 days.

In this particular instance, it started with Carlson last night and then continued with McEnany, Miller and Alveda King. They have slightly different platforms and followings, but are all on message. They will simply (and in many cases, calmly)...lie. I believe it is human nature for people to believe something is more credible if they hear it from multiple sources and so the GOP is waging a strategy wherein the create whatever narrative they wish and just repeat and repeat and repeat.

The exact same is happening right now with McTurtle and 45 claiming it's Schumer and Pelosi who are denying UI benefits. Of course it it a flat out falsehood but they are counting on most people to be too overwhelmed to follow the details.

by Anonymousreply 20July 31, 2020 9:39 PM

So who is Velveta King? She's nothing...grabbing onto the legacy of her uncle, because she has nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 21July 31, 2020 9:49 PM

BHO: Sorry, no class act.

by Anonymousreply 22July 31, 2020 9:57 PM

R21 Hilarious... You did NOT just call her Velveeta king. Sounds like an extra large toasted cheese sandwich on a Diner's menu.

by Anonymousreply 23July 31, 2020 9:58 PM

Repugs gonna Repug. They're doing the same thing they always do: politicize a death and then claim it's "the left" that's really doing it.

In this case, it was a fucking politician whose entire life was political and who was being eulogized by other politicians who had worked with him and known him for decades.

Then this cunt goes on Fox News to sniff "Well *I* won't politicize his death" as she fucking POLITICIZES HIS DEATH.

I don't know what kind of answer you want, OP, other than she's a terrible human being, and just because her uncle was MLKJr doesn't mean she's not.

by Anonymousreply 24July 31, 2020 10:16 PM

Alveda King is a Fox "News" contributor. So FUCK HER.

by Anonymousreply 25July 31, 2020 11:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!