Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I miss older crime shows: American Justice, City Confidential, Cold Case Files, etc

I hate the way they're produced now (most everything on Discovery ID), especially the kitschy, overly-dramatic voice-overs and "reenactments." I just want the facts of the case and the interviews, which provide enough drama for me. And I always learned something interesting about the locale featured on City Confidential.

Dateline and 48 Hours are still decent, I'll admit, but nothing tops American Justice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 17, 2020 4:09 PM

I agree with you. Used to love the true crime shows - but when I see them "reenacting" I turn the shit off.

My favorite from the good old days were Dayle HInman's - she was involved in the Ted Bundy case. I think she interviewed the girl who got away from him in the hospital. Loved her - she was so butch!

by Anonymousreply 1July 31, 2020 12:38 PM

I remember Dayle saying she kept her fingernails just the right length to fire her pistol without any problem.

by Anonymousreply 2July 31, 2020 12:39 PM

[quote]when I see them "reenacting" I turn the shit off.

Yes r1 ... I don't know why, but the reenacting annoys the shit out of me

by Anonymousreply 3July 31, 2020 2:01 PM

I like the show "I Almost Got Away With It," true stories of escaped convicts.

A couple of these guys managed to elude the cops for years, getting new IDs and living a normal life by blending into the woodwork. You almost feel sorry for them when it all comes crashing down around them.

by Anonymousreply 4July 31, 2020 2:11 PM

Me too. The early 2000’s were the best for these programs. I always found Bill Kurtis and his smooth voice sexy in a weird way on AJ. The need to bring them back. Tired of Rona, Rump, Housewives and Ktrash all the time. Those shows were the best. Aww to go back 15 years....

by Anonymousreply 5July 31, 2020 2:20 PM

There's a channel on Amazon TV has all the old shows, but not all the eps.

by Anonymousreply 6July 31, 2020 2:28 PM

r5 American Justice featured some really interesting cases from the annals of American crime.

I found the episode on the book Hit Man fascinating

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 31, 2020 2:31 PM

[quote] I agree with you. Used to love the true crime shows - but when I see them "reenacting" I turn the shit off.

I can't stand those either. The worst ones are those with sing-songy narration provided by someone like Brenda Strong or Susan Lucci (thankfully, those are not as common as they used to be a few years ago.) I think networks such as ID have started to cater increasingly to the Websleuths frauen demographic. They like re-enactments with everyone portrayed as being upper middle class, blandly pleasant to look at, living in houses with nicely appointed kitchens - basically the Hallmark Channel version of true crime. Just look at what true podcasts are very popular: often it's two frauen sitting around discussing rue crime while chugging a box of white wine.

I miss those A&E true crime shows from late 90s/early 00s. Bill Kurtis would discuss landmark cases, judicial precedents they helped establish, developments in forensic science, etc.

by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2020 2:49 PM

Dayle Hinman does ping. Any info on her?

by Anonymousreply 9July 31, 2020 5:35 PM

I LOVED City Confidential when I was a teen! I wish I could stream it somewhere. Great mix of travel show and true crime. Loved Paul Winfield’s voice - I could listen to him and Peter Thomas from Forensic Files all day.

by Anonymousreply 10July 31, 2020 5:45 PM

One of the more interesting cases featured on American Justice: Daniel Colwell, a paranoid schizophrenic, couldn't bring himself to commit suicide. So he killed a white couple, knowing (as a black man) he would get the death penalty for the offense - which he did. He later hanged himself in prison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2020 1:40 PM

[quote]They like re-enactments with everyone portrayed as being upper middle class, blandly pleasant to look at, living in houses with nicely appointed kitchens - basically the Hallmark Channel version of true crime.

r8 nails it. What's especially annoying is when they interview the actual people involved in the case -- who are CLEARLY blue collar -- alongside the reenactments. It does not compute.

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2020 1:44 PM

Binge-watching Cold Case Files now.

I also feel like these older crime shows respected their audience's intelligence and sophistication in a way the newer "reenactment" shows do not.

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2020 5:41 PM

Justice network airs a lot of those old shows.

by Anonymousreply 14August 1, 2020 5:55 PM

OP, try True Crime Network (new name) which seems to have several of the shows you mentioned:

I get it as a OTA channel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 1, 2020 5:57 PM

There is also Court TV/Mystery channel.

Also an OTA channel for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 1, 2020 5:58 PM

Thanks [R15]! I love City Confidential but it's always been really hard to find episodes online, A&E must have used copyright strikes liberally but the channel you linked runs the old episodes. Agree with the other posters, a great show, and Paul Winfield had a great voice.

by Anonymousreply 17August 1, 2020 9:13 PM

[quote] I hate the way they're produced now (most everything on Discovery ID), especially the kitschy, overly-dramatic voice-overs and "reenactments." I just want the facts of the case and the interviews, which provide enough drama for me.

What, OP? City Confidential narrator was *very* dramatic, to the point of camp. Bill Kurtis, Robert Stack (Unsolved Mysteries), Keith Morrison (Dateline), and John Walsh ("let's get this scumbag"): high drama. That's why those shows are good.

I don't mind the reenactments because the actors illustrate what happened. It's not like watching Julia Roberts who always plays ... Julia Roberts.

My favorite is probably Dateline with Keith Morrison. Of the old stuff, probably the Bill Kurtis stuff (my favorites).

by Anonymousreply 18August 1, 2020 10:13 PM

It's the Hallmark quality of the reenactments, r18, as r8 noted. Forensic Files used reenactments too, but they're not really in the same league.

Perhaps "melodramatic" is a more accurate descriptor than "dramatic"

by Anonymousreply 19August 1, 2020 10:32 PM

I thought only old, fat Trumpers - the kind that have police scanners in their homes - watched any of that shit.

by Anonymousreply 20August 1, 2020 10:33 PM

Then you'd be wrong, r20

by Anonymousreply 21August 1, 2020 10:38 PM

American Justice did a great episode on the San Francisco dog mauling case.

That story was messed up.

by Anonymousreply 22August 17, 2020 4:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!