Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Times like these make me thank my lucky star I'm a Jew.

We have no belief in an after-life. It's joked about, but Judaism is focused on life. I'm surprised more non Jews don't consider becoming Jews.

by Anonymousreply 18August 1, 2020 4:44 AM

That’s a six pointed star I take it?

by Anonymousreply 1July 31, 2020 6:32 AM

Jews don't seek converts. They discourage them.

by Anonymousreply 2July 31, 2020 6:33 AM

And the Jew-hating trash stampede here in 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . .

by Anonymousreply 3July 31, 2020 6:36 AM

Or you know, you could just be an atheist and forget about all these toxic religions.

by Anonymousreply 4July 31, 2020 6:48 AM

Yeah now I think about it, I could do that. I dont like ham bacon or pork anyway, am already cut, so its not like it would be a difficult transition for me as long as we arent going too Orthodox with all them eules

by Anonymousreply 5July 31, 2020 6:48 AM

Sheol, Olam Habah, Gehinom aren't concepts of the afterlife in Jewish tradition, OP?

by Anonymousreply 6July 31, 2020 7:01 AM

Theologically speaking, Jews don't "not have a belief in the afterlife"—they simply don't espouse to understand exactly what the afterlife consists of, unlike Christians. In a secular sense, most Jews are only "culturally" Jewish anyway; same with Catholics.

by Anonymousreply 7July 31, 2020 7:10 AM

^ and don't forget abput gilgil.

by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2020 7:11 AM

Oops...gilgul

by Anonymousreply 9July 31, 2020 7:13 AM

This is the most ridiculous post I've seen on DL. Of course there is an afterlife belief in Judaism. The World to Come, or "Olam ha Ba" is discussed constantly in the Talmud. Jews recite the Kaddish prayer for the dead for 11 months after the death to help the soul get through purgatory. OP is likely a Reform Jew who knows almost nothing about actual Judaism beyond not believing in Jesus, and eating bagels.

by Anonymousreply 10July 31, 2020 7:25 AM

Jews are a national and cultural entity. There are 613 mitzvot (מצבות) that are required to be performed daily to insure a fair, cohesive and harmonious society. HaOlam Habah (העולם הבא) and gilgul nishemot (גלגול נשמות) are philosophical ideas and have zip to do with how Jews are required to navigate their daily lives.

Living a Jewish life deals with the here and now. Failure to do so, "punishment" as it were, is a society filled with discontent, disharmony and discord, a "Hell" on earth.

What happens after you die is completely irrelevant. You're dead. Who gives a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 11July 31, 2020 7:33 AM

[quote] Jews recite the Kaddish prayer for the dead for 11 months after the death to help the soul get through purgatory.

Jews don't believe in purgatory. That's Xtian. Kaddish is said for 11 months because that's Jewish law. Why is yet another philosophical idea.

by Anonymousreply 12July 31, 2020 7:38 AM

Are you recruiting?

I always find the concept of Jewishness being bestowed by the mother only... interesting. I’ve heard casual snobbery about someone not being a “real Jew” because their mother wasn’t.

by Anonymousreply 13July 31, 2020 9:28 AM

R13 not op here but it raises so many questions about identity. Interestingly, I have heard people from non Jewish ethnic groups state the same general belief that a person of mixed lineage is essentially what their mother is. And of course mitochondrial DNA is indeed passed down through the mother. On the other hand, I recall a study being released a few years ago that we use more of the DNA from our fathers side. It's really a can of worms.

by Anonymousreply 14July 31, 2020 9:39 AM

OP, I don’t need any cult, religion or imaginary man in the sky to know that this life is all we have — and I’m fine with that.

by Anonymousreply 15July 31, 2020 9:40 AM

R14 In Islam and Xtianity, identity is patrilineal and the mother's identity is irrelevant. Jewish identity is matrilineal because you may not know who the father of the child is, but you'll always know who the mother is. The worst is having a Jewish father and Xtian/Muslim mother. No one wants to claim you.

by Anonymousreply 16July 31, 2020 9:44 AM

Religious Jews believing in magic, spiritualism, mysticism, fortune telling, the after life and a host of other arcane and esoteric teachings. So what? Why are the secular Jews the loudest and most insistent of the bunch?

by Anonymousreply 17July 31, 2020 9:26 PM

R17 because they like the superficial cultural currency that comes with being able to say that one is Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 18August 1, 2020 4:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!