Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What are the best novels to start with by authors I've not yet read?

I want to try a book by each of these writers, but I want to start with an excellent novel by each of them.

Jonathan Lethem

David Mitchell

Richard Powers

Saul Bellow

Anyone else is welcome to also list authors they've been meaning to try but don't know with which books to begin.

by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2020 1:53 AM

If you’re wanting a good book, SCRUPLES - by Judith Krantz.

Seriously, if you want to see how a “commercial” novel should be written, read it. It’s very deftly plotted, with great attention to the physical settings, etc. and a large cast of specifically etched characters.

I work as an editor, and often steer writers to this book so they can study the pleasure that physical description can give readers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 31, 2020 5:07 AM

For David Mitchell, start with Black Swan Green. Far more accessible than Cloud Atlas.

by Anonymousreply 2July 31, 2020 5:38 AM

James Salter -- Light Years

by Anonymousreply 3July 31, 2020 5:40 AM

That's not quite one of the responses I was envisioning, r3.

by Anonymousreply 4July 31, 2020 5:54 AM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 5July 31, 2020 3:00 PM

I loved Lethem's "Motherless Brooklyn", OP.

by Anonymousreply 6September 30, 2020 12:38 AM

Try Sinclair Lewis, and start with Babbitt. He is subtle and imaginative and still very relevant.

by Anonymousreply 7September 30, 2020 12:46 AM

Bellow—Adventures of Angie March (it’s long but great) or Seize the Day (novella, beautifully compact).

by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2020 1:13 AM

For David Mitchell, you could also try one of his earlier works - Ghostwritten. Less dense and complicated as compared to Cloud Atlas but mostly removed from the later work that he is more well-known for.

by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2020 1:21 AM

"Gold-Digging Slut" by Danielle Steele

by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2020 1:24 AM

For Mitchell I recommend Black Swan Green. It’s not formally or stylistically experimental, but is semi-autobiographical and uses the point of view of boy who stammers, which was true of Mitchell—it may be part of what led him to explore language and patterns in his novels.

by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2020 1:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!