Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I was almost attacked by a crow...

and learned something.

I was walking my dog when a crow started screeching at me. Then it made some dive bombs over my head, getting closer and closer, still making a lot of noise. It’s funny, but only after about the fourth pass did it sink in, “Oh, dear, this bird is ready to attack me!” Up till then I was just objectively thinking, “Hmmm, I’ve never seen a crow do this. Gee, he’s quite VOCAL!”

I turned back and it flew from tree to tree till I was off its block, still cawing away. This was rather unnerving as I could not see where it was in the trees and thought it might pounce each time I emerged, scurrying home, dragging my dog behind me.

WELL!! It turns out that baby crows spend a week on the ground after they leave the nest, strengthening their wings as they hop in and out of bushes, try short flights, etc. The parent stands guard and scares away potential predators.

What I’m saying is, if a crow starts cawing and dive bombing you, it means they have fledglings nearby on the ground, and want you GONE!

My advice is to retrace your steps.

by Anonymousreply 30August 2, 2020 12:25 AM

Very good advice. They're wicked smart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 31, 2020 4:28 AM

wow! i had the same experience with a bluejay about a month ago, and they're corvids too.

by Anonymousreply 2July 31, 2020 4:38 AM

I thought he could just sense the evil op

by Anonymousreply 3July 31, 2020 4:47 AM

I thought he could just sense the evil op

by Anonymousreply 4July 31, 2020 4:47 AM

They don't call a crow group a "murder of crows" for nothing, OP.

by Anonymousreply 5July 31, 2020 4:49 AM

OP, they recognize individuals and pass info to other crows, so chances are you and your little dog will permanently be on their shitlist.

by Anonymousreply 6July 31, 2020 4:51 AM

Really, as I was heading back, I was seriously remembering “The Birds”!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 31, 2020 4:54 AM

From r1's article:

[quote] While the Cheney mask drew a muted response, the caveman mask prompted rounds of angry squawking and flapping, not only from the birds previously captured but also from crows that had witnessed the initial trapping.

[quote] At one of the five sites, 20% of crows reacted angrily to the caveman face shortly after the trapping. After five years, the proportion of crows reacting to the caveman face was recorded at 60%, suggesting that word had spread among the flock that this was a dangerous face.

So this author actually wants us to believe that crows can somehow describe to other crows what a particular mask looks like???

"Caw, caw, caw, caw, caaaaaw!" [Translated: "Okay, it's a rubber mask, but this particular one looks nothing like the former vice-president under George W. Bush; rather, the rubber here is fashioned to resemble a heavy brow, a thick beard, and also messy uncut brown hair, and it means TROUBLE, so if someone wearing it approaches, attack him!"]

by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2020 4:54 AM

I absolutely adore crows, and always enjoy watching them. I want to put by bird feeder back out early, now!

by Anonymousreply 9July 31, 2020 4:55 AM

R8, go out and test it.

by Anonymousreply 10July 31, 2020 4:57 AM

Wait--I speak their language!

by Anonymousreply 11July 31, 2020 4:58 AM

[quote]R9 I absolutely adore crows, and always enjoy watching them. I want to put my bird feeder back out early, now!

I almost died!

by Anonymousreply 12July 31, 2020 4:59 AM

Apparently the crows savagely attack me — and leave little footprints all over my face.

by Anonymousreply 13July 31, 2020 5:05 AM

I have same experiences but with magpies

by Anonymousreply 14July 31, 2020 5:07 AM

The crows in my neighborhood are chill. We exchange pleasantries daily. I'm not sure if they'd like it as much if I had a doggo in tow, though.

by Anonymousreply 15July 31, 2020 5:15 AM

R8 Shuns science, doesn't wear a mask, and believes the earth is flat.

by Anonymousreply 16July 31, 2020 5:24 AM

I feed my neighborhood crows. They like peanuts

by Anonymousreply 17July 31, 2020 5:30 AM

I eat a lot of crow. It’s like they troll me for all my lies.

by Anonymousreply 18August 1, 2020 2:21 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 1, 2020 3:48 AM

They have an agenda.

by Anonymousreply 20August 1, 2020 4:39 AM

Don't even think about singing "Risseldy, Rosseldy" when you're around crows, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 1, 2020 4:48 AM

It all started with half of a Filet-O-Fish sandwich. I used to drive to the park during my lunch breaks, and I had ordered two Filet-O-Fish sandwiches. I couldn't finish them both, so threw the unfinished portion out, thinking of the raccoons, but a handful of crows dived down and devoured it. After that, every time I'd eat in the park, larger and larger groups of crows would recognize my car, and gather, waiting to be fed. It got to the point I'd buy extra food just so I'd have something to offer them, like an order of fries, when i never even eat fries.

When it finally registered that they had managed to train me, and that I was afraid to disappoint them, I stopped going to that park for lunch, but worried that they might follow me home. They didn't, thankfully.

by Anonymousreply 22August 1, 2020 7:29 PM

Quoth the raven, Demi Moore!

by Anonymousreply 23August 1, 2020 7:37 PM

[quote]So this author actually wants us to believe that crows can somehow describe to other crows what a particular mask looks like???

They do have eyes, to this I can adduce - not to mention an uncanny facility for disseminating pertinent counsel.

by Anonymousreply 24August 1, 2020 8:14 PM

Next time bring a peace offering of some peanuts.

by Anonymousreply 25August 1, 2020 8:21 PM

I was dive-bombed by blackbirds when I got too close to their nesting area. I also used to go out to a little area and wait a few minutes and a certain mockingbird would appear because he recognized me and knew I had food for him to carry back to his babies. One day I was sitting on my porch nearby reading a book, and I looked up and saw him standing there looking at me expectantly. Some birds will definitely recognize you.

by Anonymousreply 26August 1, 2020 8:25 PM

Robins do the same thing. Sometimes they'll even try to distract you by faking an injury. I had some clever ones who pretend they have a broken wing and hobble around trying to lure me to follow them (away from their babies, of course). If I follow them, they'll cleverly fly away when they get me far enough away from their nest.

by Anonymousreply 27August 1, 2020 8:43 PM

It has nothing and I do mean NOTHING to do with fledgings. I just think you’re an *asshole*. Stay off my turf ... or else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 1, 2020 8:47 PM

I found a live shot of DUMB FUCK OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 1, 2020 8:54 PM

"His" babies? Surely he wasn't an FTM, R26.

by Anonymousreply 30August 2, 2020 12:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!