Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do writers always look so smug in photos?

Mainly critically acclaimed fiction authors. But a lot of journalists too. Every time I see a photo of them they look so smug and self satisfied. Like they are party to some secret that only they know. The better reviewed they are the smugger they look. It's one of the reasons I don't look at the back cover of books. I know the authors face will make me hate them.

by Anonymousreply 55August 1, 2020 10:57 PM

Michael Chabon, waiting for you to weigh in on this

by Anonymousreply 1July 31, 2020 4:19 AM

Jean Shepherd always wore a disguise in his photo. I guess he didn't want people running up to him in the grocery store.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 31, 2020 4:22 AM

Jonathan Lethem, any thoughts? I know you're on here.

by Anonymousreply 3July 31, 2020 4:27 AM

Judith Krantz made an effort to appear fetching.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 31, 2020 4:38 AM

David Leavitt, you've been practicing your smug author photo poses since the age of 15. Let's hear it.

by Anonymousreply 5July 31, 2020 4:40 AM

I wouldn't say Joyce Carol Oates looks smug on the inside of her book covers -- although she does resemble a Tim Burton character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 31, 2020 4:44 AM

I don't know what you mean

by Anonymousreply 7July 31, 2020 4:47 AM

Writers and journalists have a similar mentality to academic types--they know more than you in their particular subject, therefore, they know more than you about everryyyythihng.

by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2020 5:07 AM

Jonathan Franzen has a classic smug writers face. So does Laura Lippman. Joan Didion looks like she's desperately trying to avoid looking smug by looking overly solemn.

by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2020 1:38 AM

Weird you mention that as I was just reading this guy's article, and thought "what a smug douche" with that fucking smirk. He's the political editor at Esquire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2020 2:16 AM

Actually, r10, he looks like a stroke victim.

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2020 2:20 AM

R11 LOL!

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2020 2:29 AM

R10 he looks like a guy I used to fuck. Great fuck, but a smug douche indeed.

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2020 2:33 AM

It’s like rock bands looking morose on album covers.

by Anonymousreply 14August 1, 2020 2:33 AM

It's like tv preachers with slicked hair and big, white teeth.

by Anonymousreply 15August 1, 2020 2:35 AM

Are you SURE that's not him R13?? My gaydar is pretty good I must say and it goes off in that pic. Something about the hair....

by Anonymousreply 16August 1, 2020 2:47 AM

R10 Oh dear. That one of the worst cases of smug face I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 17August 1, 2020 2:58 AM

Photo of Stephen King. I heard he really is a jerk although I would recommend his "On Writing" book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 1, 2020 3:05 AM

[quote][R10] Oh dear. That one of the worst cases of smug face I've ever seen.

Not to mention you don't wear button-down shirts with tweed jackets. It's just not done.

by Anonymousreply 19August 1, 2020 3:11 AM

Not to make this a tweed jacket thread R19, but if not button down shirts, then what?

by Anonymousreply 20August 1, 2020 3:15 AM

R20, bare chest. Always a bare chest with a tweed jacket.

by Anonymousreply 21August 1, 2020 3:23 AM

This was the closest I could find to illustrate bare chest and tweed jacket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 1, 2020 3:26 AM

[quote]Not to make this a tweed jacket thread [R19], but if not button down shirts, then what?

A simple poplin shirt with a matching vest or sweater is nice. For a more casual look, a turtle neck.

Tweed is country "smart" dress for the horsey set and a weekend in the country. Button downs are more for the intellectual/collegiate set. The two styles don't mix.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 1, 2020 3:27 AM

LOL and now it's a tweed jacket thread! Sorry OP!

by Anonymousreply 24August 1, 2020 3:30 AM

Artists and those who call themselves artists are the same. I saw one today and thought why can't she just smile?

by Anonymousreply 25August 1, 2020 3:40 AM

Smug with cigarette.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 1, 2020 3:45 AM

Does Fran Lebowitz count?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 1, 2020 3:48 AM

Smug? My photo positively radiates supreme intelligence, cool confidence, delectable Italian cooking skills and sexual magnetism. Kaye Scarpetta wishes she were me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 1, 2020 3:56 AM

R16, no. This guy doesn't have a creative bone in his body and got into the medical profession simply because it's the same thing his dad did. No idea why he thought he had the right to be so smug, but maybe it was his big dick.

by Anonymousreply 29August 1, 2020 7:17 PM

Dominick Dunne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 1, 2020 7:22 PM

The execrable Norman "I ain't no typical sissy writer" Mailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 1, 2020 7:55 PM

It's worse when they have a beard, glasses and especially a pipe... and why do they always rest their chin on their hand?

by Anonymousreply 32August 1, 2020 8:00 PM

r8, wrong. Academic types and writers usually know a lot in wide array of topics. That drives other people crazy, who usually are just an expert in 1 or 2 things. Triters look smug because they know don't know everything but they also know they are smarter enough to be well read and not so easily buy into crazy conspiracy theories or shun something they don't understand.

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 33August 1, 2020 8:01 PM

Julian Jaynes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 1, 2020 8:06 PM

[quote] wrong. Academic types and writers usually know a lot in wide array of topics

Not if they are in the fields of racial or gender studies.

by Anonymousreply 35August 1, 2020 8:07 PM

Though he no longer looks like this of course, Mr. Ellis is the master of the smug/pompous look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 1, 2020 8:09 PM

Few authors are iconic enough to deserve jacket photos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 1, 2020 8:09 PM

R31, I literally laughed out loud at that photo of Norman Mailer and his "lady friend." Books on the table, rocks glass in hand (other hand on lady friend's ass). Is that a typewriter next to lady friend's hip?

by Anonymousreply 38August 1, 2020 8:18 PM

Phillip Roth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 1, 2020 8:23 PM

JD Salinger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 1, 2020 8:24 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 1, 2020 8:25 PM

Joan Didion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 1, 2020 8:27 PM

Joan Didion is insufferable in EVERY context.

by Anonymousreply 43August 1, 2020 8:28 PM

Woodward and Bernstein. Hard at work, sleeves not rolled-up, neckties loosened, but still tied.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 1, 2020 8:29 PM

Joan Didion, again. I know some DL people love physical books, but I fucking hate seeing bookshelves like this (except for libraries).

Even the desk looks pompous. Above, I recommended Stephen King's "On Writing" book. He wrote about realizing he was an alcoholic (by the volume of beer bottles in his recycling bins). He also wrote about how his writing office was pompous, with a huge desk the size of ship, going nowhere as he sat there drunk. When he stopped drinking, he replaced his desk with something smaller.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 1, 2020 8:35 PM

Because they’re smarter and more disciplined than us, and they know that we know it.

by Anonymousreply 46August 1, 2020 8:39 PM

I wrote a book and got paid for it. A LOT. You didn’t, and so you had to *pay* just to read my book and my thoughts. Ha ha.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 1, 2020 8:44 PM

The chin in the hand is to hide the week chin and saggy neck.

You can’t color all writers and academics in one broad stroke.

by Anonymousreply 48August 1, 2020 8:45 PM

I thought it was an extension of the "philosopher stroking his beard"/Rodan's [italic]Thinker [italic/] pose.

by Anonymousreply 49August 1, 2020 8:46 PM

Jonathan Franzen. Ugh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 1, 2020 9:04 PM

OP? You're projecting, dear.

by Anonymousreply 51August 1, 2020 9:36 PM

R42 makes Didion look vulnerable and empathetic. This captures her detached iciness much better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 1, 2020 9:39 PM

OP you are totally right -- I was about to read a book the other day until I saw the author's photo and realized if I wouldn't ever want to meet this guy, why would I want to read his book?

by Anonymousreply 53August 1, 2020 9:42 PM

JK Rowling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 1, 2020 9:47 PM

Fuck you, OP. I'm charming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 1, 2020 10:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!