Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Netflix’s “Rebecca” with Lily James, Armie Hammer and Kristin Scott Thomas

It looks ghastly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408January 24, 2021 1:32 AM

I think you're right, Gloria.

by Anonymousreply 1July 31, 2020 12:36 AM

I’m not watching anything with Armie Hammer in it.

by Anonymousreply 2July 31, 2020 12:38 AM

Lily James is too pretty for the second Mrs. de Winter. I bet Scott Thomas is good though. Nobody agrees with me but I think the best version was BBC's with Emilia Fox and Charles Dance. Massive age gap, sexual, he was a total dick but she genuinely loved him. Diana Rigg as Danvers.

by Anonymousreply 3July 31, 2020 12:38 AM

Lily is wayyyy too old. Jane Eyre and Rebecca work because the heroine is discovering her sexuality. A woman in her 20s/early 30s - even a virgin - wouldn’t be under the thrall of Mr Rochester/Max de Winter.

by Anonymousreply 4July 31, 2020 12:40 AM

Why would the 2nd Mrs. de Winter let her dark roots show? Did Mrs. Danvers kill the Manderley hairstylist?

by Anonymousreply 5July 31, 2020 12:42 AM

[quote] It looks ghastly.

Ghastly. Just ghastly.

by Anonymousreply 6July 31, 2020 12:42 AM

Lily James is two years younger than Armie Hammer, the characters should be about twenty years apart. What a mess.

by Anonymousreply 7July 31, 2020 12:44 AM

Lily James is a bit bland for the role but I disagree about her being too old. Now the real question is will this actually follow the novel? Last time Netflix claimed to be remaking a famous Gothic story,The Haunting of Hill House, they twisted it into some lame family melodrama with no relation to the original story. But for completely unclear reasons they kept the characters original names.

by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2020 12:45 AM

Does Armie have an English accent in this?

by Anonymousreply 9July 31, 2020 12:51 AM

There was a great Seventies BBC version, with Jeremy Brett as Max (much better than Laurence Olivier in the role), Joanna David (Emilia Fox's mother!) perfect as the 2nd Mrs. de Winter, and Anna Massey (Jeremy Brett's wife--it was a lavender marriage) as Mrs. Danvers. It was the first ever show for "Mystery!" on PBS.

They adapted some of the scenes from the Du Maurier book that Hitchcock's version left out, like the great scene where the second Mrs. de Winter is brought by Max's sister to the Dower House at Manderley to meet Max's senile mother, who freaks out because she thinks the 2nd Mrs. de Winter is hiding her beloved Rebecca from her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 31, 2020 12:52 AM

What era is this set in? It looks hideous.

by Anonymousreply 11July 31, 2020 12:53 AM

[quote] Does Armie have an English accent in this?

No, Rose. He will be playing Max as Japanese, and switching all his "r"s and his "l"s.

by Anonymousreply 12July 31, 2020 12:54 AM

Any Armie nudity in this?

by Anonymousreply 13July 31, 2020 12:54 AM

Lily's lips look horrendous. Like bee-stung retard lips.

by Anonymousreply 14July 31, 2020 12:55 AM

L12 is lacist!

by Anonymousreply 15July 31, 2020 12:56 AM

[quote] What era is this set in?

2200 AD.

Any more intelligent questions?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 31, 2020 1:03 AM

very low budget. His accent is rumored to be atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 17July 31, 2020 3:14 AM

R9 the accent sucks apparently.

by Anonymousreply 18July 31, 2020 3:16 AM

I am genuinely terrified at the prospect of how bad his accent will be.

by Anonymousreply 19August 1, 2020 10:55 AM

Fuck yeah I’ll watch this.

Although I genuinely believe KST will be good.

by Anonymousreply 20August 1, 2020 11:06 AM

R3 I agree, it was very faithful and well done. The casting really worked as Emilia was a convincing wallflower and Dance attractive enough to pull of his role. We even got DL Icon Faye Dunaway as Mrs Van Hopper!

by Anonymousreply 21August 1, 2020 11:08 AM

Pull off *

by Anonymousreply 22August 1, 2020 11:08 AM

Cant wait.....the succulent moody armie was made for this delicious part. not sure bout miss thomas,,,,not at all.

by Anonymousreply 23August 1, 2020 11:09 AM

Why was Armie even considered when we have lots of great British actors? Hes also playing another quintessential Brit in "Death On The Nile"

by Anonymousreply 24August 1, 2020 11:11 AM

Armie can be a decent actor if the role is simple. As soon as you require any complex emotions or drama his limitations jump out. So glaringly that they are distracting. If he pulls this off I will be in shock.

by Anonymousreply 25August 1, 2020 11:27 AM

^^ But his biggest concern will be Lily upstaging him. DeWinter shouldn't be camp.

by Anonymousreply 26August 1, 2020 11:29 AM

Armie Hammer does not have the chops for this.

by Anonymousreply 27August 1, 2020 11:35 AM

Lily James was bad enough in All About Eve. Now she has to ruin this?

by Anonymousreply 28August 1, 2020 11:36 AM

R28 I saw that too, I expected her to be better but she made no impression.

by Anonymousreply 29August 1, 2020 11:43 AM

Two B actors. Oh my.

by Anonymousreply 30August 1, 2020 11:57 AM

r3 David Mitchell is the best Mrs Danvers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 1, 2020 12:23 PM

Brilliant r 31. Thanks for the laugh !

by Anonymousreply 32August 1, 2020 12:28 PM

Brilliant r 31. Thanks for the laugh !

by Anonymousreply 33August 1, 2020 12:28 PM

R24 I think British audiences sometimes think his annoying enunciation sounds British. Can only imagine from the awful Russian accent he had in MFU that this is botched. Should be entertaining. I am salivating in anticipation.

by Anonymousreply 34August 1, 2020 12:34 PM

^I meant American audiences.

by Anonymousreply 35August 1, 2020 12:34 PM

Is this up yet?

by Anonymousreply 36August 1, 2020 12:36 PM

Will she be breaking into ABBA tunes?

by Anonymousreply 37August 1, 2020 12:37 PM

I read Rebecca as a child when I checked it out from my grade school library. Do grade schools still have libraries?

by Anonymousreply 38August 1, 2020 12:47 PM

His looks are the only thing he has going for him and he refuses to do more nudity. How on Earth does he still get roles?

by Anonymousreply 39August 1, 2020 1:36 PM

R38, my kids go to NYC public schools. The elementary school didn’t have a dedicated library, but each classroom was crammed to bursting with books. BIG on books, trips to the NYPL, making sure every kid had a library card and knew how to use it.

Middle school on UES had a library but no librarian, so kids couldn’t borrow “officially”. Most individual classrooms had lots of books. Elite HS has library, and a librarian. I asked if I could donate some good appropriate hardcovers and was basically told “no thank you”. Shitty HS complex filled with “urban” kids had a sparse library that serves as a meeting room.

If kids are the least bit inclined, they will have plenty of robust encouragement. I’m a huge fan of 80% of the public school teachers we’ve encountered, as they really believe in education.

Sorry for the novel, haha. I’m a little passionate about books.

by Anonymousreply 40August 1, 2020 1:50 PM

Can someone point me to a good (not perfunctory, not not bad) Lily James performance?

I've yet to see it (and she was actually bad when I saw All About Eve).

by Anonymousreply 41August 1, 2020 1:54 PM

Every time I see a thread about Rebecca my ear worn turns into Carol Burnett... Rebecky! Rebecky! Rebecky!

by Anonymousreply 42August 1, 2020 2:54 PM

Worm...fucking autocorrect on this site... it's got the devotion to duty of Glenn Close's character in Fatal Attraction.

by Anonymousreply 43August 1, 2020 2:55 PM

R39 at most it's 7 inches. Nudity won't help.

by Anonymousreply 44August 1, 2020 3:23 PM

Kristin Scott Thomas is starting to look like Jane Lynch.

by Anonymousreply 45August 1, 2020 3:29 PM

Do Armie's parents have any regrets?

by Anonymousreply 46August 1, 2020 4:15 PM

Armie is going to ruin this.

by Anonymousreply 47August 1, 2020 4:53 PM

He needs to walk around Manderlay naked or in sopping wet clothes that show off his nips and bulge

by Anonymousreply 48August 1, 2020 4:54 PM

I am not going to watch this if Armie doesn't present dong.

by Anonymousreply 49August 1, 2020 4:58 PM

It looks like it was written by Joe Shrapnel (Deborah Kerr's grandson!!) and Anna Waterhouse, who wrote Seberg, The Aftermath. Race and Frankie and Alice, with Jane Goodman credited alongside them (re-writes?) which doesn't bode well.

Ben Wheatley did a reasonable job with High Rise, after coming to attention with Sightseers.

James and Hamer cast in their own right doesn't bother me but together it looks wrong. The Trial Of Christine Keeler was very well done on the BBC at the start of the year, but the age gap between Keeler and Ward was 30 years, yet the age gap between the actors was 6 years. Both good performances but the predatory nature of the relationship didn't come across.

No doubt Ann Dowd will have fun as Mrs Van Hopper, and UK costume drama regulars Keeley Hawes, Tom Goodman Hill, Jane Lapatoire, Mark Lewis Jones and Sam Riley are in it too.

by Anonymousreply 50August 1, 2020 5:13 PM

[quote] Nobody agrees with me but I think the best version was BBC's with Emilia Fox and Charles Dance. Massive age gap, sexual, he was a total dick but she genuinely loved him. Diana Rigg as Danvers.

You forgot about Faye Dunaway, you little homosexual boy, who was SO BRILLIANT as Mrs Van Hopper!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 1, 2020 5:24 PM

TIL that “shrapnel” was named after a person. Huh.

by Anonymousreply 52August 1, 2020 6:33 PM

R34 Profanity! If his upper crust british accent is as good as his Russian in UNCLE give him an OBE now.

by Anonymousreply 53August 2, 2020 1:03 AM

R49: His career is based solely on his looks and he refuses to show more skin. How he manages to stay employed and still get roles is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 54August 2, 2020 1:28 AM

Who was cast as the brook and the farm?

by Anonymousreply 55August 2, 2020 1:29 AM

Vincent D’Onofrio is all over Twitter rn trying to #SaveDaredevil

by Anonymousreply 56August 2, 2020 3:16 AM

Wretched stuff...gimme a chocolate QUICK!

by Anonymousreply 57August 2, 2020 3:41 AM

Are you kidding me? Armie fucking Hammer is playing Lawrence Olivier's role?! I'm sorry, Olivier's farts had more acting talent than Hammer. Lilly James and Kristin Scott Thomas are alright. I'm curious if they're going to be more direct with the fact that Mrs. Danvers was in love with Rebecca and her death is what drives her over the edge.

BTW Dame Judith Anderson (who allegedly was a big old dyke in real life) gives what I think is one of the best cinematic performances in old Hollywood history as Mrs Danvers in the original 1940 film. She plays the role with restrained mastery to the paint that every muscle movement is significant. She should have won the oscar for that role.

by Anonymousreply 58August 2, 2020 3:51 AM

R58 Anderson's performance was brilliant. The only times she really moves her body is when she is in Rebecca's room showing the underwear. Not only does she move her body more, her speaking style changes with her voice becoming higher and softer. I am surprised she never won an Oscar at all during her career.

by Anonymousreply 59August 2, 2020 6:14 AM

Pajama party at Manderlay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 2, 2020 6:35 AM

Who the fuck is this hussy? She's worse than Liv.

by Anonymousreply 61August 2, 2020 7:50 AM

I agree that the Jeremy Brett/ Joanna David "Mystery" remake was the best version (Brett was also the best-ever Sherlock Holmes, IMO).

That said, I expect Kristin Scott Thomas as Mrs. Danvers will be Oscar-worthy in this version. Scheming, controlling bitch is the role she was born to play -- since it doesn't require her to act.

by Anonymousreply 62August 2, 2020 9:44 AM

R62 this isn't getting anywhere near the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 63August 2, 2020 11:14 AM

R62s comment is yet another reference I've seen on DL to Scott Thomas ' alleged awfulness. I've never heard similar things anywhere else. Can someone give me some specific diva /bitch stories about her?

by Anonymousreply 64August 2, 2020 11:51 AM

Is this thing going to half empty theatres, onto Netflix or both?

by Anonymousreply 65August 2, 2020 12:21 PM

I thought I read she retreats deeply into character and so can be quite stand offish or seen as such?

by Anonymousreply 66August 2, 2020 12:22 PM

R65 = idiot

by Anonymousreply 67August 2, 2020 12:34 PM

Anything would be better than the original. What a crashing bore!

by Anonymousreply 68August 2, 2020 12:38 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 2, 2020 12:53 PM

The costumes look cheap. Don’t bother making a period film if you can’t afford decent costumes. God.

by Anonymousreply 70August 2, 2020 1:06 PM

Her wig is tragic.

by Anonymousreply 71August 2, 2020 1:10 PM

Wouldn’t it be more interesting having Rebecca set in present-day instead of making it a period film? People will obviously prefer the original over a poorly-cast copycat. Have we heard Armie’s English accent?

by Anonymousreply 72August 2, 2020 1:15 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 2, 2020 1:28 PM

R67, I asked because upthread I saw someone posting about Oscar nominations. I was unsure whether Netflix was releasing in theatres as well as streaming. It is amusing to me an honest question unleaded your inner vulgarian. You seem really nice. Can't imagine why you're still single.

by Anonymousreply 74August 2, 2020 1:55 PM

I saw Lily James in the West End production of "All About Eve" and she was absolutely dreadful. Why is someone so devoid of talent, charisma, and personality continually showered with high profile projects (from Chris Evans' beard to an adaptation of a film classic)?

by Anonymousreply 75August 2, 2020 2:09 PM

[quote]Wouldn’t it be more interesting having Rebecca set in present-day instead of making it a period film? People will obviously prefer the original over a poorly-cast copycat.

When the director first started talking about this new version, it sounded like it WAS going to be modern. I was surprised to find it's not.

I don't see how the story works with them so obviously close in age. Also, the bleached blonde hair doesn't exactly scream 'wallflower'.

by Anonymousreply 76August 2, 2020 2:20 PM

R73 What’s with that weird face tattoo Lily has, is the update taking place in Somoa?

by Anonymousreply 77August 2, 2020 2:26 PM

This looks wrong all the way around. Armie is wrong, too young and not talented enough, Lily is wrong and too ugly, KST is wrong and too well maintained.. The original film is so carefully constructed, and the crucial Hitchcock touch will be missed. I can't see this version working at all.

by Anonymousreply 78August 2, 2020 2:47 PM

Whats with the Rob Delaney / Armie bromance on twitter? Are they gearing up to some joint project or something?

How come this thread had become chalafreaks central? Don't you guys have some bracelets to analyse eksewhere?

Armie and Lily james look fine together. Granted, there's no age gap between them but this is not a cc or the original?

by Anonymousreply 79August 2, 2020 3:31 PM

Rob Delaney is a Jew obsessed crank who loves thw far left, and going by Hamer’s anti Biden comments, they have a lot in common.

America, please take Delaney back. Please.

by Anonymousreply 80August 2, 2020 7:32 PM

r78 Lily James is the opposite of ugly, and much better looking than Jean Fontaine, and many of those alleged beauties of yesteryear were midgets. James is too good-looking for the role.

by Anonymousreply 81August 2, 2020 8:50 PM

R81 is Olivia de Havilland

by Anonymousreply 82August 2, 2020 8:56 PM

R75 she was in Baby Driver. I think she has connections with creeps like Kevin Spacey. Same with Hammer. Just saw Hammer in a film recently and I can’t understand how he’s still getting work. He’s not only awful he’s usually so much worse than even the no name cast.

by Anonymousreply 83August 2, 2020 9:41 PM

[quote]Granted, there's no age gap between them but this is not a cc or the original?

The age gap is important to the relationship dynamic of the characters, just like in Jane Eyre. They're not supposed to be peers or close in age, because that fucks with everything. It's not about what previous versions have done.

by Anonymousreply 84August 3, 2020 2:06 AM

Rob Delaney makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. That rarely happens. What's the story with him, r80?

by Anonymousreply 85August 3, 2020 2:53 AM

Indeed, armie will no doubt win awards for this fine portrayl of the legendary lead of this epic.

Kristin? nay....

by Anonymousreply 86August 3, 2020 8:41 AM

Please, Joan Fontaine was lovely. You have no idea r81, what you’re saying. Olivia was lovely too. They both inherited the unfortunate round shoulders from their mother. But lovely ladies both.

by Anonymousreply 87August 3, 2020 4:12 PM

Both were quite lovely, but Joan Fontaine was undoubtedly more beautiful. Olivia was cute, but she had zero sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 88August 3, 2020 6:16 PM

R88 They always looked so similar to me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89August 4, 2020 12:16 AM

Joan had this ability to play younger than she was...in THE CONSTANT NYMPH and LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN. She was quite convincing as a teenager in those films.

by Anonymousreply 90August 4, 2020 1:59 PM

Joan Fontaine had amazing bone structure. In her late teens, Scarlett Johansson looked like her.

by Anonymousreply 91August 4, 2020 2:13 PM

^ I was just going to say, side by side there is similarity but Fontaine's face is more angular while de Havilland's is wider, either heart or oval shaped.

by Anonymousreply 92August 4, 2020 2:27 PM

I am not getting the Hitchcock vibe. Is this supposed to be a “lite” version?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 4, 2020 5:29 PM

Genre-jumping

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 4, 2020 5:30 PM

[quote]Rob Delaney makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. That rarely happens. What's the story with him, [R80]?

He's a racist who thinks his racism can be excused because 1. he self identifies as a comedian and 2. he's a recovered alcoholic.

He signed a letter ahead of last year's general election accusing Jews of making up complaints against Jeremy Corbyn.

He's disgusting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 4, 2020 6:39 PM

As a testament to Lily James' appeal as an actress, the most interesting posts in this thread have been about Joan Fontaine.

by Anonymousreply 96August 4, 2020 6:50 PM

But Rob ith tho Hoth.

by Anonymousreply 97August 5, 2020 4:05 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98August 6, 2020 3:20 PM

Ugh, that blonde wig they've got LJ in - yuck; plus, not only is she too pretty, her vivaciousness, which serves her well in other roles is all wrong for this role. Even someone older than the character in the book and not conventionally attractive like Ruth Wilson would've been better.

Armie Hammer....he must have nude pictures of someone; why cast him, of all people? He seems like he'd be hard pressed to mastermind a picnic lunch, much less a murder

by Anonymousreply 99August 6, 2020 4:16 PM

I read the book recently (it was a 99p Kindle daily deal), it was amazing. This movie adaptation sounds like it's going to be complete shit. When you're adapting a fantastic classic novel that has already been adapted several times, including an amazing film version (Hitchcock), you damn well need to make sure that you have a great cast. Lily James and Armie Hammer in particular sound awful. When Armie talks about "modernising" his character, I shudder to think what the result will be.

by Anonymousreply 100August 6, 2020 5:00 PM

There was such a Daphne du Maurier mania in the 30s and 40s; Rebecca, The Scapegoat, The Birds, Jamaica Inn, My Cousin Rachel, Don’t Look Now, Frenchman's Creek…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101August 6, 2020 5:06 PM

Hammer couldn’t even play Rebecca’s dead corpse.

by Anonymousreply 102August 6, 2020 6:01 PM

New stills are a trip down memory lane to when Hammer was hot. (I can't link because I'm a nasty cheapskate.) Ah, the memories....

by Anonymousreply 103August 7, 2020 2:35 PM

He's still hot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 7, 2020 3:10 PM

[quote]A woman in her 20s/early 30s - even a virgin - wouldn’t be under the thrall of Mr Rochester

Once you try black, you never go back!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105August 7, 2020 3:38 PM

R104 he’s not. This is how he looks now. Old and fat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106August 7, 2020 3:40 PM

It is so unfair that he has made it this far, given his innate lack of talent and charisma. His wealth, no doubt, has provided him with a jumpstart compared to his peers with less financial endowment.

When I finally saw CMBYN, I was underwhelmed by Armie and the POW he starred opposite of. Even less impressed with his performance in J. EDGAR. Hammer doesn’t act or even star in films; he hangs out in them, not unlike the dear departed and hotter Paul Walker.

by Anonymousreply 107August 7, 2020 4:09 PM

R106, if that is what you call old and fat I would like to meet your dad. Does he look like Hammer? Mine doesn't — at all.

by Anonymousreply 108August 7, 2020 5:05 PM

R108 My dad is not 33. (Yours?) And at 33 he certainly didn’t look like a potato (probably because he has never spent 4 entire months on a tropical island boozing on his couch while ranting on Twitter)

Armie looks much older than he is. He should do something to get his looks back, because his career won’t survive just on the basis of his (non-existent) acting skills

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109August 7, 2020 5:48 PM

R109 didn’t you see his most recent insta story pic of himself? Even grimmer than that one.

by Anonymousreply 110August 7, 2020 6:05 PM

This film looks like toilet.

by Anonymousreply 111August 7, 2020 6:41 PM

R111

Flushable?

by Anonymousreply 112August 7, 2020 11:21 PM

KST has a Cloris Leachman Nurse Diesel look

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113August 7, 2020 11:30 PM

You all saw the latest blind? That Armie was trying to hook up with Lily James while KS was trying to hook up with him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114August 8, 2020 12:05 AM

Are we supposed to know who you’re talking about when you say KS?

by Anonymousreply 115August 8, 2020 12:14 AM

R115 Sorry, dropped the last initial.

Kristin Scott Thomas

by Anonymousreply 116August 8, 2020 12:19 AM

R110 tbh I had a hard time deciding which one was the worst. I chose this one because he looks like he stinks

by Anonymousreply 117August 8, 2020 12:21 AM

[quote] The elementary school . . . making sure every kid had a library card and knew how to use it.

I don't understand why the parents didn't do this already. My mother made sure we had library cards and weekly visited the library. Every more we made, this was one of the first things we did. Libraries are free and open hours that accommodate almost all work schedules. I realize things are different now but that's almost a rite of passage that helps kids understand how important reading can be - a whole building devoted to reading and you even need a CARD to use it. There's a fun mystery to that. It also doesn't hurt kids to learn the kind of respectful behavior that libraries used to require. Not saying libraries shouldn't be modern and technologically up to date but some aspects to them are timeless.

Yes I am old.

by Anonymousreply 118August 8, 2020 12:47 AM

Absolutely no need to remake this movie or watch this depression-inducing remake.

by Anonymousreply 119August 8, 2020 12:48 AM

Damn if Lily James and Arnie Hammer aren't all the proof you need that looks matter more than anything else. Same old same old.

by Anonymousreply 120August 8, 2020 12:48 AM

A modern-day take on the story would be more interesting. We don't need another subpar costume drama.

by Anonymousreply 121August 8, 2020 12:55 AM

Did anyone watch the (awful) Rosemary's Baby miniseries?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 8, 2020 12:59 AM

Yes, LOL. The different setting helped it, and Zoe Saldana looked looked great, as did DL Fave James Marsden

by Anonymousreply 123August 8, 2020 1:23 AM

That was Patrick J Adams, you blind bat.

by Anonymousreply 124August 8, 2020 2:19 AM

Some of the British critics are already trashing this. Armie is boldly miscast. He must be a masochist.

by Anonymousreply 125August 8, 2020 7:13 AM

R125 Interested in the Brit reviews. Can you link or tell me where to find them?

by Anonymousreply 126August 8, 2020 9:51 AM

I'm kinda looking forward to this one. Could be good (or not), we'll see. Also, there were no screenings for press afaik, so the rumours about quality are just that.

by Anonymousreply 127August 8, 2020 9:56 AM

Miscastings always fascinate me. With all the actors out there and the experience of a production team, how does a real clunker slip through? Arme Hammer is not the biggest star in the world, or even commands a specific constituency.... so why him?

by Anonymousreply 128August 8, 2020 12:34 PM

R126

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129August 8, 2020 12:36 PM

Ben Wheatley had worked with Hammer on Freefire and is fond of him. He also cast him opposite Alicia Vikander in a scifi film now stuck in development hell.

by Anonymousreply 130August 8, 2020 12:37 PM

R127 there was a test screening in LA.

by Anonymousreply 131August 8, 2020 12:38 PM

R128 Wheatley probably cast him as a favor for him starring in his next crap film, or helping him to Finance it. That's how miscasting happens. Favors. Possibly Armie blew Ted Sarandos too?

by Anonymousreply 132August 8, 2020 12:41 PM

That's not a review @ r126...it's a tweet of an opinion based on some publicity stills.

by Anonymousreply 133August 8, 2020 12:48 PM

Armie's losing his looks. And doesn't he know that smoking ages people's appearances?

For 2020, it seems that there's an awful lot of cigarette smoking among HW actors.

by Anonymousreply 134August 8, 2020 12:50 PM

R134 heavy drinking and drug use too.

by Anonymousreply 135August 8, 2020 12:55 PM

In my experience, having been behind the scene for a decade, working in the upper circles of stardom, if a blatantly untalented actor with ultra rich parents keeps being cast in parts he or she brings nothing to, despite scathing critics = daddy (or mummy or both) has invested some dough in the production / distribution in exchange for the favour. Same goes with ' supermodels'. Having a famous kid is glamourous, and their fortune don' t depend on their career anyway so who cares about the bad critics ? That being said, putting Armie in an english accent might be taking things a bit too far. What puzzles me, is that he still believed that he would be cast in Spiderman after sucking seemingly underraged dick in Italy, for all american kids to Google. That makes Gwyneth Paltrow seem grounded and down to earth.

by Anonymousreply 136August 8, 2020 1:01 PM

Posting on the other thread to avoid advertizing this.

R133 people who saw the test screening said it was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 137August 8, 2020 1:05 PM

R136 this is the last I'll say on this thread but yes his family still have a production company which probably gets him cast in many projects. He is delusional though. He expected to get an Oscar for the pedo role.

by Anonymousreply 138August 8, 2020 1:08 PM

R137... don't doubt it but there's nothing to suggest this guy was among them, is there? He's in the UK? When was the screening? Nobody's running from London to LA in the current climate for a screening, particularly a freelance film reviewer.

In any event, it's not a particularly exciting piece. It reads well as a book and it's interesting if well told, but it was never going to be gripping or exciting. Its strength lies in the acting and whatever house is cast as Manderley.

by Anonymousreply 139August 8, 2020 1:11 PM

Really R138 ? For what scene specifically ? The one where he's pointing at the brook with both hands while declaring ' it's freezing'?

by Anonymousreply 140August 8, 2020 1:19 PM

R136 / R138 = idiot teenager who thinks she knows how Hollywood works

by Anonymousreply 141August 8, 2020 1:23 PM

[quote]I saw this at a test screening and I thought Kristen is maybe too attractive to play such an infamously cold and possessive matronly woman, but she was fine. Lily was good, Armie, wooden. It's pretty to look at but pales in comparison to the Hitchcock version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142August 8, 2020 1:23 PM

R141 = Armie

by Anonymousreply 143August 8, 2020 1:26 PM

Will KST be seen sniffing Lily James' underthings?

by Anonymousreply 144August 8, 2020 2:01 PM

[R142] that woman is one of the people on twitter that hate AH no matter what he does, i'll wait for more opinions from official critics. also, afaik films can be edited even after test screenings if it's necessary.

by Anonymousreply 145August 8, 2020 2:09 PM

^^^ BARF!

by Anonymousreply 146August 8, 2020 2:11 PM

R145 go to Awardsworthy. It was screened in December and the word was it sucked. Especially emphasis on Armie's terrible accent.

by Anonymousreply 147August 8, 2020 2:12 PM

[R147] i'm sure people there disliked it, i wouldn't expect anything else from them. as i said, i'll wait for the opinion of the people i respect in regards to film, not some randoms. My own opinion is gonna have to wait until i actually see the movie, like i would expect from anyone.

by Anonymousreply 148August 8, 2020 2:23 PM

Apparently he couldn't even do a decent russian accent when half his family IS russian, so what to expect ? Who's directing anyway ? Is it the awful Branagh again ?

by Anonymousreply 149August 8, 2020 2:23 PM

If anyone is capable of inhabiting a role immortialized by Sir Laurence Olivier, it's the guy who played a con artist on "Gossip Girl."

by Anonymousreply 150August 8, 2020 2:26 PM

[quote] if anyone is capable of inhabiting a role immortialized by Sir Laurence Olivier

R150 Have you ever seen ' cat on a hot tin roof ' with Laurence, lord Olivier ???

by Anonymousreply 151August 8, 2020 2:31 PM

He must be bribing directors or producers. How else does he still get role after role?

by Anonymousreply 152August 8, 2020 3:22 PM

Apparently Rebecca's death has been reimagined in this version. Instead of Pstrangling her Armie chokes the bitch to death with his big cock!

by Anonymousreply 153August 8, 2020 5:08 PM

And she's played by Timmy!

by Anonymousreply 154August 8, 2020 5:10 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155August 9, 2020 6:10 AM

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!

by Anonymousreply 156August 9, 2020 6:11 AM

The crew in R155 pic belongs to the ' I fuck fat people ' thread

by Anonymousreply 157August 9, 2020 7:11 AM

That’s the director

by Anonymousreply 158August 9, 2020 7:35 AM

Aren't they releasing it in a few cinemas first go it can get Oscar consideration?

by Anonymousreply 159August 9, 2020 8:03 AM

R159, Armie, give it a rest.

by Anonymousreply 160August 9, 2020 10:27 AM

When does it 'drop' on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 161August 9, 2020 10:33 AM

Do they do an Oscar for running about with your dick hanging out trying to get another stamp in your Sexual Experiences on Set Scrapbook?

by Anonymousreply 162August 9, 2020 12:23 PM

R159 LMAO. No

by Anonymousreply 163August 9, 2020 12:24 PM

Maybe it will sweep the Emmys

by Anonymousreply 164August 9, 2020 4:49 PM

Did you says emmys ? IT'S DAN LEVY 'S BIRTHDAY TODAY 🎉✨😛👍👏💖

by Anonymousreply 165August 9, 2020 4:52 PM

The Second Mrs. de Winter is not a pouty model Maxim plucked off the streets of London, but a plain, orphaned, insecure girl with no prospects if her marriage is not successful. A central theme of the novel is the relationship between a powerful man and a vulnerable woman; casting someone like James, who radiates confidence even in these stills, is a betrayal of the character. She’s also just way too old.

Hammer bears no resemblance to the brooding, patriarchal, domineering figure of the book. I find him boring, beige, bland, and curiously sexless despite being classically handsome.

by Anonymousreply 166August 9, 2020 7:51 PM

[quote] The Second Mrs. de Winter is not a pouty model Maxim plucked off the streets of London

True, the harlot was plucked off the streets of L.A.

by Anonymousreply 167August 9, 2020 7:58 PM

Lily is too pretty but so was Joan Fontaine

by Anonymousreply 168August 9, 2020 8:01 PM

The should have cast Glenn as Mrs Danvers. She has the ability to be terrifying and creepy as well as project sexual menace.

She would also have been a great Barbara Covett if Notes On A Scandal was made today.

by Anonymousreply 169August 9, 2020 8:48 PM

Kristian Scott Thomas is practically a nobody. And she's ugly as sin.

by Anonymousreply 170August 9, 2020 8:49 PM

R170 and Judith Anderson sure was a stunner.

by Anonymousreply 171August 9, 2020 8:53 PM

This James woman is not attractive. Her duck lips look like they’ve been stuck into a vacuum cleaner.

by Anonymousreply 172August 9, 2020 9:15 PM

I can't believe they cast her and still wrote me as the plain one.

by Anonymousreply 173August 9, 2020 9:18 PM

R172 They're a bit Ruth Wilson-esque and can be distracting even in motion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174August 9, 2020 9:20 PM

I'm going to hate-watch the shit out of this and enjoy the travesty much like I did while watching "Mother, May I Sleep With Danger" for the very first time.

by Anonymousreply 175August 9, 2020 9:22 PM

Joan Fontaine did mousy and pathetic really well in the original, even though she was too pretty for that role.

Someone like Sophia Lillis (from the IT movies) would've suited this new adaption better than Lily James. Armie Hammer as Maxim de Winter is already awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176August 9, 2020 9:34 PM

r170, the character she's playing is hardly a beauty. And she's not a "nobody" either

by Anonymousreply 177August 9, 2020 9:36 PM

R166 You sound like you've read the book. Even Hitchcock agreed Olivier was too young and good looking for the role. He preferred someone older like Ronnie Colman but Selznick wanted a younger star for his de luxe movie.

R171 I've seen 1920s newspaper photos of Dame Judith when she was just another flapper named Judy. (But she did that that big nose which the second Downton daughter has)

by Anonymousreply 178August 9, 2020 9:43 PM

Joan was sublime in the tests for Rebecca

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179August 9, 2020 9:46 PM

That's Marchionose of Hexham to you, peon!

by Anonymousreply 180August 9, 2020 9:48 PM

R125, the Brits.....Perfidious Albion. Nothing they say will dissuade me from watching it myself

by Anonymousreply 181August 9, 2020 10:43 PM

In short... there are no real reviews yet. What we have is a couple of promo stills and comments on them, mostly positive. Yet the usual suspects (TC baby fraus) come here to glorify the haters. Calm down kids, the world is big enough for 2 divas.

by Anonymousreply 182August 10, 2020 1:18 AM

When does Rotten Tomatoes put up the film accounts?

by Anonymousreply 183August 10, 2020 1:26 AM

[quote]Aren't they releasing it in a few cinemas first go it can get Oscar consideration?

While unlikely that it will be pushed for an Oscar, the amended post-Covid Academy rules is that if there was a release date in place, the film is still eligible. Netflix usually releases their films in two theaters in L.A, even ones that aren't on the Oscar path like "The Highwaymen" and "Triple Frontier".

by Anonymousreply 184August 10, 2020 1:27 AM

You have to watch Joan in THE CONSTANT NYMPH and LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN. Great performances and both stories are serious tearjerkers.

by Anonymousreply 185August 10, 2020 2:06 AM

She was too old for The Constant Nymph

by Anonymousreply 186August 10, 2020 3:00 AM

R186 Olivia ? I thought you were dead

by Anonymousreply 187August 10, 2020 8:17 AM

I think that she pulled it off r186.

by Anonymousreply 188August 10, 2020 9:56 AM

Hopefully this version has the good sense not to begin with, "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again..."

The last thing they need to do is remind people a far superior novel and classic adaptation exist. If it stays in the campy melodrama lane, this version could be a bit of fun.

by Anonymousreply 189August 10, 2020 2:31 PM

This remake screams for a forty something UK actor, preferably a sexy one. Maybe this film will bomb and make Hollywood realize how talent green Hammer really is. I watched some of J. Edgar on my iPad again last night - he really was shitty in that. DiCaprio was not at his best either.

by Anonymousreply 190August 10, 2020 3:42 PM

Even though it's a little too similar to his role in Jane Eyre, Michael Fassbender would've been good. Saiorse Ronan as the female lead would've been heaven.

by Anonymousreply 191August 10, 2020 3:48 PM

Rupert Penry Jones would have been a perfect lead. And he's not afraid to show his big, thick peen.

by Anonymousreply 192August 10, 2020 4:01 PM

Clive Owen

by Anonymousreply 193August 10, 2020 4:25 PM

R191 Excuse me ????? The character is supposed to be PLAIN and MOUSY. I am STUNNING, BOLD, FIERCE, FEARLESS, EMPOWERED !!!! Did you not SEE my ACADEMY AWARD nominated PERFORMANCES, MY MOVIES ???

by Anonymousreply 194August 10, 2020 4:39 PM

Saoirse campaigned for gay rights and modernized abortion laws in Ireland - don't hate her for being an activist, she's doing a lot of good.

by Anonymousreply 195August 10, 2020 4:41 PM

Michael Fassbender would've been good

I was thinking Matthew Goode; Fassy is a looking a bit rough these days...now if you were looking for an aging alcoholic, he's your guy

by Anonymousreply 196August 10, 2020 4:42 PM

I blame Alicia Vikander. You can never go wrong blaming Alicia Vikander.

by Anonymousreply 197August 10, 2020 4:51 PM

R195, I don't hate her for being an ' activist', I hate her for being a smug shitty pretentious entitled brat fascinated by her own hype, like her fellow little cunty friend Emily Watson, who' ' hides book in the tube' ' so that the peons can at least see one in their lives and learn. . I hope the women of Ireland and the UK don' t get their convictions from THEM, but from the people who have a real life and contribute to society.

by Anonymousreply 198August 10, 2020 4:56 PM

It's no [italic]Rebecky[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199August 10, 2020 5:05 PM

R196 [Fassy is a looking a bit rough these days...now if you were looking for an aging alcoholic, he's your guy]

Maybe that’s what they were going for with Armie?

I agree on Matthew Goode.

by Anonymousreply 200August 10, 2020 5:23 PM

Here Rupert Penry Jones nowadays, classic English gent of the correct age to play Maxim

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201August 10, 2020 5:54 PM

Rupert nude as a young buck. Armie has never bothered to delight us so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202August 10, 2020 5:57 PM

I fear that Armie lacks the wherewithal for such endeavours

by Anonymousreply 203August 10, 2020 6:09 PM

Sally Hawkins would have been ideal for the female lead twenty years ago. She fit du Maurier’s description perfectly and has the right screen persona. Being so petite adds to her aura of vulnerability.

Saoirse is a little too...robust.

by Anonymousreply 204August 10, 2020 6:49 PM

Yeah Armie Hammer seems like dubious casting. R170 Kristin Scott Thomas kind of has that manly look required for Mrs Danvers, but in all honesty, I think Thomas is somewhat overrated. I've always felt she was one noted as an actress. R169 Glen would have been amazing as Mrs Danvers but the part is a supporting role not the star. She wouldn't have done it. And she is probably too expensive too.

by Anonymousreply 205August 10, 2020 6:54 PM

At this rate I'm starting to think Rebecca is to television what Gypsy is to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 206August 10, 2020 6:55 PM

This looks miles better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207August 10, 2020 6:56 PM

Isabelle Huppert, Charlotte Rampling or Olivia Colman as Mrs. Danvers would all be amazing.

by Anonymousreply 208August 10, 2020 7:00 PM

R208 Isabelle Huppert would be the perfect Mrs Danvers to my 2nd Mrs de Winter !

by Anonymousreply 209August 10, 2020 7:21 PM

I actually think Olivia Colman, who I really like, increasingly has a very narrow range. With that tremulous little voice and that expressive, wide face... it is hard to see OC as menacing or intimidating unless she's allowed to appear derelict as well. She looks like a rabbit. If she didn't deliver some amazing Olivia Colman moments I'd say she's terrible in The Crown because she never disappeared into the part. Luckily, as Queen, menace and intimidation are not required on a Danvers scale. Don't get me wrong I love Colman but she's so Colman now it's hard for a part to take over. I'd argue lots of actresses have that problem... Maggie Smith as, Judi Dench as, Helen Mirren as... they're so big they can't disappear into the part.

by Anonymousreply 210August 10, 2020 7:34 PM

I can BE Mrs Danvers. I am an actor. I am a chameleon. I can play Black, I can play lez, I can play -yel-hum Chinese. Why don't you people let us actor be great ?

by Anonymousreply 211August 10, 2020 7:44 PM

R198, you sound like a butthurt right-winger. Ronan and Watson haven't done anything to harm anyone, how weird that you seem to hate them so much.

by Anonymousreply 212August 10, 2020 9:06 PM

R212 [quote] Ronan and Watson haven't done anything to harm anyone

They have. Every time they've appeared on a screen.

by Anonymousreply 213August 10, 2020 9:15 PM

R213, most people would disagree with you there. Ronan is considered to be one of the best young actresses out there. People who aren't letting their far right views cloud their judgment

by Anonymousreply 214August 10, 2020 9:28 PM

Considered by whom ? Teenage girls from community college ? Define ' out there '. (in which parrallel universe is that chick a good actress, see link below?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215August 10, 2020 9:34 PM

R215, I guess all the members of the Academy who gave Saoirse those Oscar nominations were teen girls in "community college" (nice class-based snobbish there). And the elderly and middle-aged movie critics who have praised her performances are apparently also teen girls.

by Anonymousreply 216August 10, 2020 9:39 PM

Award nominations are the ultimate proof of quality.

by Anonymousreply 217August 10, 2020 9:43 PM

how about Maisie Williams? She’s 23, a decent actress with a face like a potato.

by Anonymousreply 218August 10, 2020 10:16 PM

r217, Zamora was never nominated for an Oscar. Try again.

by Anonymousreply 219August 10, 2020 10:17 PM

Who the fuck is Zamora ?

by Anonymousreply 220August 10, 2020 10:21 PM

It was a typo that was supposed to be Zadora. Relax.

by Anonymousreply 221August 10, 2020 10:22 PM

I envisioned Rebecca as looking like Isabelle Adjani, R209, or Vivien Leigh. A gorgeous, passionate, temptress.

Both would have been all wrong for the second Mrs. de Winter, however, as Leigh's screen test showed. Any woman as beautiful as they were at their prime would have the whole world open to them, and would have told Maxim and Mrs. Danvers to go squat in a cactus patch.

by Anonymousreply 222August 10, 2020 10:44 PM

Oh! Oh! This part has Lady Edith written all over it.

by Anonymousreply 223August 10, 2020 10:45 PM

Lucy Cohu played Rebecca in flashbacks for the BBC/Dance version. She was photographed in fragments... the eyes, the mouth, from the back, but enough to evoke a beautiful brunette... she did suggest Vivien Leigh... different voice... husky, disdainful.

by Anonymousreply 224August 10, 2020 10:49 PM

Everybody associates Rebecca with Vivien Leigh I think. I'm pretty sure Selznick cast Olivier for that purpose.

by Anonymousreply 225August 10, 2020 10:55 PM

I’m surprised that Meryl hasn’t campaigned for the part...

by Anonymousreply 226August 10, 2020 11:42 PM

What weird totalitarian views some on here have. If you don't like Soarise Ronan's acting then you must be a far-right winger.

by Anonymousreply 227August 11, 2020 7:55 AM

Are you being ironic, R227?

Your second sentence is a good example of the doctrinaire Cancel Culture's 'Ipso Facto' Non-thinking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228August 12, 2020 1:13 AM

I won't pay to see this confection.

It is a woman's story by a woman about a woman for women.

It is a mere rehash of 'Jane Eyre' in deluxe setting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229August 12, 2020 1:36 AM

Lesbians argue whether or not Daphne du Maurier was wholly or even primarily a lesbian.

We'll never know if Daphne bedded Gertrude Lawrence— who I suppose was the 'acme' of transatlantic glamour at the time.

I bet Daphne was angry at Judith Anderson's heavy-handed impersonation of Mrs Danvers. And I bet Daphne wanted a sexy 'menage' Danny and Rebecca' getting passionate in the boatshed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230August 12, 2020 6:54 AM

Daphne Du Maurier was very sexual. She wrote some short stories about father-daughter incest.

As for this movie, it will be the new Crimson Peak.

by Anonymousreply 231August 14, 2020 6:12 PM

BBC Radio 4 has a great radio adaptation of Rebecca from 1989 available now:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232August 29, 2020 7:04 PM

is this out already?

by Anonymousreply 233August 29, 2020 7:05 PM

IMDB says it's rated PG-13, which means no Armie nudity, which means there's no point in torturing yourself by watching this shitshow.

by Anonymousreply 234August 29, 2020 7:23 PM

Last night I dreamt of this again . . .

by Anonymousreply 235August 29, 2020 10:28 PM

The new stills look so bad. I wonder why they didn’t choose better for the promo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236September 3, 2020 6:36 PM

Armie looks like Colonel Mustard's gay brother. LOL!

by Anonymousreply 237September 3, 2020 6:38 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238September 3, 2020 6:47 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239September 3, 2020 6:48 PM

Firstly, Maxim would never wear those colours, he's meant to be staid. They both look so miscast.

I really think Charles Dance and Emilia Fox were terrific in the 90s version and the version was pretty faithful to the book.

Dance was aristocratic and older but still handsome as well as believably menacing and aloof.

Fox was pretty and innocent with a touch of sadness about her. Not sexy or threatening.

And both handled their shifts in character very well after the revelations towards the end.

by Anonymousreply 240September 3, 2020 6:50 PM

It’s not too late to do lunch with Tyler Perry...there’s always room for a passably handsome token white boy in his stable. He could be the nerdy white husband of one of the female cast members.

It’s better than Lifetime or heaven help us, Hallmark.

by Anonymousreply 241September 4, 2020 1:58 PM

I kinda liked the My Cousin Rachel from a few years ago......it was much better than this looks.....

by Anonymousreply 242September 4, 2020 3:08 PM

Unfortunately, Mr Hammer’s looks have gone the way of most frat boys - down the drain with all the beer. He never bothered to learn anything, so he isn’t interesting, and he doesn’t have enough imagination to act like he is interesting. Maxim de Winter has many secrets and is mysterious and suave, like a romantic hero. I see Armie’s furrowed brow and a facial expression that looks like gas.

Lily’s blonde hair makes her look washed out and the clothes are all wrong for her body type. I suppose that’s what she should be for the movie.

Pass on this one (holds my Hitchcock version tightly).

by Anonymousreply 243September 4, 2020 4:35 PM

They should have gotten someone else to be Maxim. Ryan Corr is a much better actor than Armie. Plus he can play older.

by Anonymousreply 244September 4, 2020 9:21 PM

Netflix page is up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245September 5, 2020 12:02 PM

Thanks, R245. I'll watch it but I have low expectations. I adore the Hitchcock version.

by Anonymousreply 246September 5, 2020 3:09 PM

Brace yourselves, Rebecca trailer tomorrow

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247September 7, 2020 4:13 PM

Will Armie attempt an English accent in this?

by Anonymousreply 248September 7, 2020 4:32 PM

R248 Ooooh. I hope it's Dick van Dyke bad and we get a melt down.

by Anonymousreply 249September 7, 2020 4:50 PM

How much on-screen time does that horrible suit have?

by Anonymousreply 250September 7, 2020 6:24 PM

A lot I guess R250

Why does he look wooden?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251September 7, 2020 6:31 PM

[quote]Will Armie attempt an English accent in this?

Don't worry, you don't need one...

by Anonymousreply 252September 8, 2020 1:39 AM

R252 What else did they change in this movie?

by Anonymousreply 253September 8, 2020 1:54 AM

weak casting cept for the awesome armie......

by Anonymousreply 254September 8, 2020 2:14 AM

What's with the yellow suit?

by Anonymousreply 255September 8, 2020 2:25 AM

Maxim would never have worn that ghastly mustard suit, he was much too conservative in his tastes and wasn't one to ever stand out.

Plus he had a small pecker.

by Anonymousreply 256September 8, 2020 6:59 AM

R250 he's touching a female.

by Anonymousreply 257September 8, 2020 11:49 AM

R252 he attempts one which is apparently horrible. Lol

by Anonymousreply 258September 8, 2020 11:57 AM

The costumes look inexcusably cheap. And I’m sorry, no woman had bleached yellow hair and thick black eyebrows back then, unless she was a hooker.

If they wanted a blonde for the role, they should have cast one.

by Anonymousreply 259September 8, 2020 12:05 PM

R3 I agree, it was great. And it had a delicious comic turn by Faye Dunaway as Mrs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260September 8, 2020 12:44 PM

He’ll go sans accent and fuck the movie up, a la Robert Redford in OUT OF AFRICA. The British lord as Gary Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 261September 8, 2020 1:21 PM

The accent is even worse

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262September 8, 2020 1:35 PM

Brit here Armie!

Not bad for a first attempt but I'd be happy to help you polish up your oral skills.

by Anonymousreply 263September 8, 2020 1:46 PM

Well guys, have at it..!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264September 8, 2020 2:14 PM

The 1940 Hitchcock version can never, ever be surpassed. Despite Olivier giving his signature hamfest performance. His worst is better than Armie’s best. Of course, the bar is lower than a snake’s clit.

by Anonymousreply 265September 8, 2020 2:19 PM

Everyone in the Youtube comments seems to think this is perfect casting!

by Anonymousreply 266September 8, 2020 2:25 PM

Vivien Leigh WAS Rebecca, right down to every man she knew wanting to strangle her at some point. (They didn't even have to be involved with her.)

by Anonymousreply 267September 8, 2020 2:37 PM

Will Armie's moobs be getting a 'worst supported actor' nomination?

by Anonymousreply 268September 8, 2020 2:44 PM

R264, that's actually not nearly a bad as I was expecting. Armie's accent is sort of mid-Atlantic, we've definitely heard worse. As for Lily James, if this is still set in the 1930s as it looks to be, couldn't they have gotten her a period wig? No one, but no one back then, had stringy hair like that.

by Anonymousreply 269September 8, 2020 3:47 PM

Armie is much too attractive for that plain Jane. It only makes sense if Maxim is an older man and not a hottie.

by Anonymousreply 270September 8, 2020 4:05 PM

I loathe that mustard suit

by Anonymousreply 271September 8, 2020 5:55 PM

Armie can’t even be half-arsed to do promo for his own movie. “Commerce is so beneath me.”

by Anonymousreply 272September 8, 2020 6:14 PM

R272 He's rather busy with other pursuits

by Anonymousreply 273September 8, 2020 6:16 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274October 13, 2020 3:44 AM

“Poor, poor Armie Hammer. Who told him the lie that being white, tall, and rich-looking was enough to establish a career in Hollywood?” This summarizes all the reviews so far.

by Anonymousreply 275October 19, 2020 8:17 PM

Plenty of hot men marry plainish women. I've seen it with my own two eyes. Love isn't always about looks, and sometimes a plainish woman gives a hot guy a sense of security?

by Anonymousreply 276October 19, 2020 8:21 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277October 25, 2020 3:41 AM

However, he went to Miami and accidentally sent Chambers a sexually explicit text from yet another woman that she knew wasn’t meant for her, the insider said. That was the final straw for Chambers and on July 10, they both released an identical statement announcing their split, writing ‘Thirteen years as best friends, soulmates, partners and then parents. ‘It has been an incredible journey, but together, we’ve decided to turn the page and move on from our marriage. ‘As we enter into this next chapter, our children and relationship as co-parents and dear friends will remain our priority. ‘We understand this news lends itself to public dialogue, but in the interest of our children and our family, we’re asking for privacy, compassion and love during this time.’ According to divorce papers, they each listed a different separation date, which could impact the alimony Hammer has to pay out if they were indeed married less than 10 years. The pair married in May 2010.

by Anonymousreply 278October 25, 2020 3:42 AM

At this point it will probably just be easier to list the men she hasn't slept with

by Anonymousreply 279October 25, 2020 3:51 AM

Wow, I wouldn't have pegged this gal for such a harlot. So we know she's been with Armie Hammer, Dominic West, Chris Evans and Matt Smith within a year or so, and that's just what's been revealed to the public.

by Anonymousreply 280October 25, 2020 4:00 AM

She's managed to fuck all these guys in the few non-lock down months

by Anonymousreply 281October 25, 2020 4:05 AM

What a hussy. Somehow this makes me like her more.

by Anonymousreply 282October 25, 2020 4:16 AM

emmy for armie !!! its in the bag !!! best male acting of the year thus far....

by Anonymousreply 283October 25, 2020 6:55 AM

Faye's Mrs. van Hopper

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284October 25, 2020 7:35 AM

Fuck faye, she is a mean old turd with no talent but lots of constipation in her skunt.

by Anonymousreply 285October 25, 2020 7:37 AM

[quote] So we know she's been with Armie Hammer, Dominic West, Chris Evans and Matt Smith within a year or so, and that's just what's been revealed to the public.

Watching these pearl clutching queens slut shame a woman for having at least FOUR sexual partners in a year is a joy to behold.

As if any gay man wouldn't take the opportunity if presented.

by Anonymousreply 286October 25, 2020 8:32 AM

R286 You forgot to mention that two of them were married with young children - 6 between them

Hence home-wrecking ho, rather than simply a young lady living her best life.

And no I've never knowingly slept with a married man - I'm not a home-wrecking ho

by Anonymousreply 287October 25, 2020 10:19 AM

Any evidence that James has actually ended any marriages, r287?

It's also possible that nothing happened between James and Hammer and this is all just some made-up crap to publicise their reportedly awful movie.

by Anonymousreply 288October 25, 2020 10:41 AM

R288 Yeah such great PR she can't even turn up on tv to promote the movie.

by Anonymousreply 289October 25, 2020 10:42 AM

Exactly r289, James is crap at the promotional work so the promoters have to invent something to get publicity for the movie.

by Anonymousreply 290October 25, 2020 10:46 AM

Yes. Netflix got Armie to pretend to have an affair with Lily just as his divorce is getting nasty.

So many loons on this place

by Anonymousreply 291October 25, 2020 10:51 AM

james is a ho from way bak.

she jus ok in Rebecca at best. ms danvers and armie will get noms for sure.

by Anonymousreply 292October 25, 2020 10:53 AM

[Quote] two of them were married with young children

I don't think she fucked them while they were tending to their kids.

by Anonymousreply 293October 25, 2020 10:54 AM

R293 She would have had a job in Armie's case as he avoids his kids like the plague even when there isn't a plague in town.

by Anonymousreply 294October 25, 2020 10:56 AM

Has someone compiled Lily's hitlist?

by Anonymousreply 295October 25, 2020 11:01 AM

WHy does everyone hate Arrmie? Exactly? I mean I get DL doesn’t need a proper reason at all but people on here are being waaaaay OTT.

by Anonymousreply 296October 25, 2020 11:04 AM

The real question is why do people like him? That’s what I really want to know 😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 297October 25, 2020 11:08 AM

Tall. Money. Even features.

by Anonymousreply 298October 25, 2020 11:12 AM

Lily James has freely admitted in interviews that she was “boy-crazy” to the extent that it impaired her relationships with other women.

Snorting coke in a public park, cavorting around Rome with a married co-star who plays her father in a production all during a global pandemic whilst millions around her are ill, out-of-work and challenged to adjust to difficult circumstances may not endear her to many.

Now there are MSM reports of what was rumoured: that James was involved in the breakup of a marriage involving 2 small children.

That’s a lot for a supposed “Disney princess”.

Add to this reports of “real people” who know her and state that she is “unlikable”, “insufferable”, “rude” and “arrogant”.

It’s multiple things: not just her repeated sexual ploys leaving evidence of destruction in her wake: (separations, cringe-fests of bizarre cheery claims of “we’re together” for paps outside of houses, early am walks from Chris Evan’s hotel after public coke binges, dumping interviewers on prime time television, etc.).

Trashy on MULTIPLE fronts.

She may have her supporters; but they will be reflectors of who she has revealed herself to be.

by Anonymousreply 299October 25, 2020 11:13 AM

[Quote] whilst millions around her are ill, out-of-work and challenged

What has that got to do with Lily getting her fuck on? If anything, the risk of death should make her commitment to slobbing knobs even more commendable.

by Anonymousreply 300October 25, 2020 11:16 AM

[Quote] Add to this reports of “real people” who know her and state that she is “unlikable”, “insufferable”, “rude” and “arrogant”.

Richard Madden to unfollow Lily in 5, 4, 3...

by Anonymousreply 301October 25, 2020 11:17 AM

[Quote] destruction in her wake: (separations, cringe-fests of bizarre cheery claims of “we’re together” for paps outside of houses, early am walks from Chris Evan’s hotel after public coke binges, dumping interviewers on prime time television, etc.).

You can't wreck a happy marriage.

by Anonymousreply 302October 25, 2020 11:18 AM

[quote] You can't wreck a happy marriage.

Indeed, R302. It takes two to tango.

If there exists nothing flammable to begin with, fire will not start.

But there can be a spark. The spark can either die out or inflame a situation.

Lily James has demonstrated that she can inflame many situations; not just marriages.

by Anonymousreply 303October 25, 2020 11:25 AM

When did Hammer pretend to be having an affair with James, r291? This is all just a "sources said" story at dailymail.com.

Besides, why is it ok for Hammer to have multiple dalliances (Jessica Henriquez, Rumer Willis, Courtney Vucekovich) after separating from his wife but if a woman has more than one boyfriend within a space of a few years she must be a slut?

by Anonymousreply 304October 25, 2020 11:28 AM

I despise when they try to remake classics. They always fail. How can you compete with the original? Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 305October 25, 2020 11:30 AM

The TV remake with Diana Rigg is worthwhile. Hitchcock didn't own Rebecca.

by Anonymousreply 306October 25, 2020 11:34 AM

R288 yes. He's ca closet case fr imo. Hasn't seen vagina since his wife pushed out the toe sucker. He looked extra gay in this wooden performance.

by Anonymousreply 307October 25, 2020 11:39 AM

[quote] What has that got to do with Lily getting her fuck on? If anything, the risk of death should make her commitment to slobbing knobs even more commendable.

Don’t think it particularly commendable when hooking up with someone while travelling to another country that has quarantine restrictions due to a communicable disease. And there is evidence that Lily’s hook up led to a vector (Dominic West) interacting with another person directly. He was wearing the same clothing (that Lily was hanging onto) in the airport that he then wore when he was intimate with his wife.

What about the risk of exposure to his wife and/or children from everyone he might have come in contact with in Rome OR via Lily?

Covid cases are on the rise.

What about pulling out of scheduled appearances to promote her work in Rebecca?

What about the impact on Netflix and those who worked on Rebecca?

What about Emily Mortimer? How will this affect her project? How is she going to spin the BBC project when her lead star is flinging with the star’s father in the series?

Pffft. Commendable, perhaps, from your perspective for Lily.

Not for those surrounding her.

by Anonymousreply 308October 25, 2020 11:42 AM

[Quote] What about the impact on Netflix and those who worked on Rebecca?

Lily has given "Rebecca" more publicity than it would otherwise have got if she had kept her pussy to herself.

by Anonymousreply 309October 25, 2020 11:47 AM

[Quote] What about the risk of exposure to his wife and/or children from everyone he might have come in contact with in Rome OR via Lily?

He would have been in contact with X amount of people whether or not he'd fucked Lily.

by Anonymousreply 310October 25, 2020 11:48 AM

[quote] When did Hammer pretend to be having an affair with James, [R291]? This is all just a "sources said" story at dailymail.com.

The crew leaked that James and Hammer were hammering it, so to speak long before these pieces in The Mail and in The Sun.

[quote] Besides, why is it ok for Hammer to have multiple dalliances (Jessica Henriquez, Rumer Willis, Courtney Vucekovich) after separating from his wife but if a woman has more than one boyfriend within a space of a few years she must be a slut?

Matt Smith, Armie Hammer, Chris Evans and Dominos West are “more than one boyfriend”. Evan appears as a coke quickie. The rest, well who knows, or really cares. It is their business. And yes, double standards still exist, but hopefully that is changing.

The comparisons, though, are false equivalencies. Rumer, Jessica and/or Courtney are not currently married, to my knowledge. Also they were not actively working with Armie at the time of their involvement so that the liaisons would not be interpreted in light of affecting actual work that involves many people.

Also, Covid comes into play when travelling to other countries and being intimate with others atm.

There are complications: especially involving children.....not just the breakdown of their life circumstances, but potentially putting them at risk for disease....

by Anonymousreply 311October 25, 2020 11:58 AM

R304 Oh Armie is much worse than Lily who is just a common or garden ho.

He's a nasty piece of work.

by Anonymousreply 312October 25, 2020 12:08 PM

Lol at Lily being COVID Mary.

Remind me how many women Armie was schtupping at the same time possibly without telling them?

Plus his camera-free birthday party etc etc.

by Anonymousreply 313October 25, 2020 12:11 PM

R304 I was responding to the idiot who said it was PR because Lily lacks presence in interviews or some other foolishness.

Assuming this nutso was right do you think they'd run with the affair story without AH's buy in?

by Anonymousreply 314October 25, 2020 12:17 PM

[quote] Lol at Lily being COVID Mary. Remind me how many women Armie was schtupping at the same time possibly without telling them? Plus his camera-free birthday party etc etc.

It’s not necessarily an either/or situation.

Lily AND Armie are engaging in behaviours that appear risky during a pandemic.

While much of the general public is advised against intimate interactions outside their household, they seem wont to flaunt their disregard of these recommendations.

Armie’s wife is keeping their children sequestered in the Caribbean. Catherine Fitzgerald did not have that opportunity.

Who knows what truly goes on behind closed doors?

Who also knows what the long-term repercussions of Covid are? We are seeing heaps of young folks with bizarre complaints who did not even know they had the virus.

(A recent study revealed 75-78% of patients with no or mild Covid symptoms had myocardial damage.)

The jury is still out.

by Anonymousreply 315October 25, 2020 12:23 PM

R315 No amount of mud slinging at Lily disguises the fact that Armie is a cunt you do know that?

by Anonymousreply 316October 25, 2020 12:28 PM

[Quote] Armie’s wife is keeping their children sequestered in the Caribbean.

That's an interesting rephrasing of "Armie flew the coop."

by Anonymousreply 317October 25, 2020 12:44 PM

[Quote] Catherine Fitzgerald did not have that opportunity.

Catherine could have changed the locks. But she needs Dom's millions for castle upkeep.

by Anonymousreply 318October 25, 2020 12:45 PM

[quote] Armie’s wife is keeping their children sequestered in the Caribbean. That's an interesting rephrasing of "Armie flew the coop."

Geez, what is with you people?

YES, “Armie flew the coop”.

AND yes, Liz is sequestering her children in The Caymans. So much so that Armie’s now petitioning vis his lawyers for her to return to LA. She does not want to. She claims the risk of Covid is much higher in LA....which is true.

No “rephrasing”.

by Anonymousreply 319October 25, 2020 1:36 PM

You people!?

by Anonymousreply 320October 25, 2020 1:36 PM

[quote] Catherine could have changed the locks. But she needs Dom's millions for castle upkeep.

Sure Catherine could have changed the locks. I don’t know why she did not. Neither do you for that matter.

What appears to be evident by multiple witnesses is that her husband had/is having an affair with Lily James.

Like his wife, he could have made a different choice. As could Lily James.

Why did they all do what they did?

That’s the £64,000 question.

by Anonymousreply 321October 25, 2020 1:54 PM

The Armie stans are on a crusade today.

by Anonymousreply 322October 25, 2020 2:27 PM

[Quote] Neither do you for that matter.

Oh brother.

by Anonymousreply 323October 25, 2020 2:43 PM

I enjoyed the movie but had to entertain myself by taking the TV. She was way to forgiving and trusting of the help. Beautifully shot. I would love a more masculine version of Ms. de Winter's room/suite.

I'm no longer a fan of Armie, but he did look like a snack. The ending was great fun, I've never seen or heard of this story so it was nice for a non-traditional ending with suspect morality. I don't blame the second Mrs. de Winter for her choices. Get that dick and secure the bag.

The mansion was less than impressive which helps because it makes the movie more realistic. Here is the only shot I could quickly find of Rebecca's room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324October 25, 2020 2:46 PM

[Quote] had to entertain myself by taking the TV.

Old Jerri Blanks die hard.

by Anonymousreply 325October 25, 2020 2:51 PM

Yeah, I don't know why any DLer would WW a response like r321.

by Anonymousreply 326October 25, 2020 2:53 PM

R326 Multiple account loon? Stan ambush?

So many words and pointless details to try to distract from the basic fact that Armie Hammer is a serial cheating skank.

by Anonymousreply 327October 25, 2020 2:55 PM

[Quote] Multiple account loon? Stan ambush?

Probably. I've noticed some of these completely humorless comments getting multiple WWs within minutes of posting. No way is any DLer hanging on the words of such prisspots.

by Anonymousreply 328October 25, 2020 2:59 PM

I couldn’t finish watching it was so bad. How does this guy get work? He can’t act, box office poison, and refuses to do nudity even though he owes his entire career to his looks.

by Anonymousreply 329October 25, 2020 3:02 PM

R329 I think nudity may be what would finish off his career once and for all.

So yeah - Do it!!

by Anonymousreply 330October 25, 2020 3:08 PM

Why? Has he tinynip, pancake ass AND button dick?

by Anonymousreply 331October 25, 2020 3:33 PM

R331 He has HUGE nipples.

Like I think there may be actual breast tissue.

by Anonymousreply 332October 25, 2020 3:38 PM

This thread is meant to be about the movie! Who has actually watched the turkey yet?! Comments?

by Anonymousreply 333October 25, 2020 4:14 PM

It sucked

by Anonymousreply 334October 25, 2020 4:26 PM

It's a romance novel, what do you want? I liked this production--Lily was more charming than that cunt Fontaine, Hammer was 1000% hotter than Olivier, and Kristin was scary enough to match the novel's dark undertone.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't expect to enjoy it and I did.

by Anonymousreply 335October 25, 2020 6:04 PM

R-eeIt’s just you

by Anonymousreply 336October 25, 2020 7:44 PM

R-335 It’s just you lol

Btw, Rotten Tomato score is currently at 45% Critics Consensus and 45% Audience Consensus. A solid weed.

by Anonymousreply 337October 25, 2020 7:46 PM

Just put r in front of the number ffs.

by Anonymousreply 338October 25, 2020 7:48 PM

R338 I KNOW!! I keep forgetting lol

by Anonymousreply 339October 25, 2020 7:55 PM

Dreadful. The original is such a lovely film. This version is an embarresment.

by Anonymousreply 340October 25, 2020 8:47 PM

I'm watching this now, beautiful scenary in Monte Carlo

by Anonymousreply 341October 25, 2020 9:52 PM

Reeeeeeeeeeeee

Who says that but a maga troll?

Fuck you, your brains are obviously in your arse.

by Anonymousreply 342October 25, 2020 9:54 PM

His proposal was less than romantic

by Anonymousreply 343October 25, 2020 10:00 PM

Booooooring

by Anonymousreply 344October 25, 2020 10:06 PM

This woman is a super silly whore. She knows that there's rumors about her and Armie, and what does she do? Instead of keeping a low profile, she goes out an advertises that she's also fucking dominick west

And just from a whore standpoint, she's fucking men who can't do a thing for her career (and whose careers are on the downside) That's what you call one dumb whore

Her management team must be dying. Every week they have to have another "More of Lily's Whoring Got Exposed" meeting

She doesn't seem to have an ounce of discretion. She's a fair to middling actress who has most assuredly only gotten each of her roles by fucking some studio boss. The current men she's fucking around with are losers. armie and domenick are gleefully showing the world they don't give a single fuck about their kids. Her and both hims are disgusting. If we never see the three of them again, it will be too soon

by Anonymousreply 345October 25, 2020 10:11 PM

Must say it's not at all gripping. I've just got to the first scenes with Mrs Dancers and turned off as I'm sleepy. Lucky this is streaming instead of cinema.

And Faye was a much better Mrs Van Hopper than dowdy Ann.

by Anonymousreply 346October 25, 2020 10:34 PM

Did anyone read the novel? No?

Hmmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 347October 25, 2020 11:55 PM

I read the novel as a gayling. But I have forgotten it all.

It is meant for women.

by Anonymousreply 348October 25, 2020 11:57 PM

Dominic bought a castle. He's hardly on the downturn.

by Anonymousreply 349October 26, 2020 7:44 AM

[Quote] His proposal was less than romantic

I read this as "His prolapse was less than romantic."

by Anonymousreply 350October 26, 2020 7:45 AM

Armie should have flashed cock and ass to make this more popular

by Anonymousreply 351October 26, 2020 8:24 AM

[quote]Every week they have to have another "More of Lily's Whoring Got Exposed" meeting

LMAO this bitch is goals.

by Anonymousreply 352October 26, 2020 9:06 AM

By whoring you mean she sells it, or she just has a sex life?

Should she consult YOU on how to be a pure princess?

by Anonymousreply 353October 26, 2020 3:54 PM

They should've just gone full camp and make the 2nd Mrs DeWinter a devious grifter who tries to gaslight her husband and Ms. Danvers in order to make off with the house, jewelry and $$$$.

by Anonymousreply 354October 26, 2020 5:17 PM

They could have at least gone for an ass shot from Armie

by Anonymousreply 355October 26, 2020 6:00 PM

[quote] They should've just gone full camp and make the 2nd Mrs DeWinter a devious grifter who tries to gaslight her husband and Ms. Danvers in order to make off with the house, jewelry and $$$$.

Agree.

More realistic with those they chose to portray the characters.

Now that the cats are out of the bags - Lily James as London’s well-known bicycle and unlikable co-worker AND Armie’s reported reputation as a sleazy “Family Man” - the characterizations you suggest, R354, wouldn’t have been such a stretch.

As it is now, it’s a dull parody of what the book and original were meant to be.

If a parody, at least make it interesting and/or fun.

by Anonymousreply 356October 26, 2020 6:47 PM

Just finished it - not nearly as bad a0s it could have been. Armie was fairly convincing, Lily was perfectly decent and Kristen was very good.

If this had been released last year I would have happily cheered Scott Thomas for Best Supporting Actress over Laura Dern, who did almost nothing for her win in "Marriage Story".

I thought the changes in the end were unnecessary SPOILER: having her race lone and access the medical records to save her husband. Also, Danvers' last scene was a tad melodramatic, with Mrs D leaving the carnage and her husband to chase after her.

I also missed having the "I am Mrs DeWinter!" scene.

All in all, a decent adaptation. Still prefer the 90s version with Emilia Fox, Charles Dance and the wonderful Diana Rigg as Dirty Danvers.

by Anonymousreply 357October 26, 2020 9:59 PM

I wonder what's on Armie's laptop...

by Anonymousreply 358October 26, 2020 10:30 PM

R157, I would like to see that version. I'll look for it.

by Anonymousreply 359October 26, 2020 10:36 PM

I didn't like KST's Mrs. Danvers at all. She came across as mildly inconvenienced at all times.

by Anonymousreply 360October 26, 2020 10:41 PM

[quote] Dominic bought a castle. He's hardly on the downturn

He didn't buy a damned thing. It's in his wife's family estate

by Anonymousreply 361October 27, 2020 3:05 AM

[Quote] He didn't buy a damned thing. It's in his wife's family estate

No. He and the wife bought it from her family in the last couple of years.

by Anonymousreply 362October 27, 2020 12:50 PM

Lol at r311 trying to prove a woman is a slut because she has more than one boyfriend - four guys is just too many!

The crew "leaking" something is not evidence of a woman breaking up a marriage. You're probably one of those posters who couldn't wait for Hammer's marriage to break up - because you wanted him to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 363October 27, 2020 1:57 PM

[quote] Lol at [R311] trying to prove a woman is a slut because she has more than one boyfriend - four guys is just too many! The crew "leaking" something is not evidence of a woman breaking up a marriage.

Obviously, you do not know of what you speak, R363. Lily James has quite the history. Just ask the producer’s wife who ended her marriage when she discovered her producer husband and Lily were going at it like rabbits....while Lily was “with” Matt Smith.

Lily’s antics are common knowledge in London. The producer and his wife have 3 children: one small and 2 older. And this is NOT the only involvement Lily has had with married men (while sleeping with others). I am aware of several others....

While she is marketed as demure, it will be interesting if more of her behaviour comes to light.

If she and her partners want to engage in this behaviour, that’s on them.

Personally find it unhealthy behaviour when she flaunts her (married) paramours during a global pandemic: on several levels.

[quote] You're probably one of those posters who couldn't wait for Hammer's marriage to break up - because you wanted him to be gay.

I feel for Armie and Elizabeth’s children. His departure will mean a change in their life.

I have no knowledge of Hammer’s sexual preferences. Nor do I care which team he plays for. Never found him interesting or compelling.

by Anonymousreply 364October 27, 2020 7:23 PM

[Quote] I feel for Armie and Elizabeth’s children. His departure will mean a change in their life.

Toxic marriages aren't good for kids. They may be better off, especially if the mother remarries someone decent.

by Anonymousreply 365October 27, 2020 7:25 PM

R364's grave and judgemental interest in Lily James' private life (or what he fantasises it to be) is creepy.

by Anonymousreply 366October 27, 2020 7:29 PM

R366 I lived in London for years.

R364 is quite correct, Miss James is a full-on sket.

by Anonymousreply 367October 27, 2020 7:32 PM

Does she rawdog all these guys?

by Anonymousreply 368October 27, 2020 7:33 PM

R368 Whatever it takes honey!

by Anonymousreply 369October 27, 2020 7:45 PM

Choose your preference:

Greasefire Auto de Fe Exile to Isle of No Men Death of a Thousand Nail Scissor Cuts

I mean, you guys seem to thirst for her demise, so choose.

by Anonymousreply 370October 27, 2020 9:17 PM

and answer the question, don't bitch about the formatting

by Anonymousreply 371October 27, 2020 9:18 PM

Frau r346 concerned about THE CHILDREN !

by Anonymousreply 372October 27, 2020 9:22 PM

R372 was it the phrase "no interest in his sexual preferences" that gave it away?

Anyway, I'm now rooting for Lily James to have a long career and entertain us with her enthusiastic indiscriminate hoing for many years to come. So to speak.

by Anonymousreply 373October 28, 2020 12:07 AM

She kissed a black man!

by Anonymousreply 374October 28, 2020 12:17 AM

[quote] Anyway, I'm now rooting for Lily James

Spot on. You’re “rooting” for Lily James. And that’s what she does. Root. A lot. Everywhere. With all types of (married) men. Seems that’s her preference.

[quote]her enthusiastic indiscriminate hoing for many years to come.

It could be entertaining for some not involved.

But for those let in the wake of bust ups and her warpath, nah, likely not so fun.

Skanks and trash who can’t see this destruction (or feel connected to others via empathy) likely will be validated by her actions and watch for “entertainment” purposes.

by Anonymousreply 375October 28, 2020 4:47 AM

An Australian prisspot? Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 376October 28, 2020 7:32 AM

Wait - I thought DL said Hammer was gay?

He sure has sex with a LOT of women to distract from being such a dick pig.

by Anonymousreply 377October 28, 2020 7:55 AM

I'm a Londoner, r367, but what does London have to do with anything?

Out of interest, how many partners does a man have to have before he's considered a male "sket"?

by Anonymousreply 378October 28, 2020 10:42 AM

R378 Armie is way worse than a sket if that helps.

by Anonymousreply 379October 28, 2020 11:32 AM

R378 To clarify - Living in London as a gay man means you mix with other gay men who work in the theatre/film industry and thus hear stuff.

As a straight woman probably not so much.

by Anonymousreply 380October 28, 2020 11:42 AM

Straight women never gossip.

by Anonymousreply 381October 28, 2020 11:57 AM

Mrs Danvers fucked her with Rebecca's old strap-on in the boathouse

by Anonymousreply 382October 28, 2020 12:01 PM

R381 is right. Telling a straight woman a secret is like putting it in a safe, encasing that safe in cement, encasing that cement-covered safe in steel, and dropping it in the ocean over the Mariana Trench, where it will be lost forever.

by Anonymousreply 383October 28, 2020 12:13 PM

Lol. The point was a lot of gay men work in the theatre and film industries and the gay community is relatively small so word gets around even to those not in the industry e.g. A lot of the gay pubs are in theatre land.

A random straight woman is less likely to be in those circles.

And yes as you say women love to trash talk each other. Its mainly women attacking Lily for example.

by Anonymousreply 384October 28, 2020 12:39 PM

[Quote] The point was a lot of gay men work in the theatre and film industries

A lot of women work in theatre and film as well, dear.

by Anonymousreply 385October 28, 2020 12:58 PM

R385 You really struggle with the concept of proportions and statistics?

Enough with female tears.

The bottom line is Lily is now known as a home-wrecking sket and Armie as a serial cheating skank.

by Anonymousreply 386October 28, 2020 1:00 PM

You can't wreck a broken home. How often does that have to be restated?

by Anonymousreply 387October 28, 2020 1:03 PM

[Quote] You really struggle with the concept of proportions and statistics?

No, you struggle with the nonsense idea that gay man living in London is a wise old sage about Lily James' pussy game.

by Anonymousreply 388October 28, 2020 1:04 PM

My partner and I watched it the other night. Definitely a big meh. The original with Joan Fontaine and Lawrence Olivier was much better. And no actress can ever compare to Judith Anderson as Mrs. Danvers.

by Anonymousreply 389October 28, 2020 1:07 PM

I prefer Rigg.

by Anonymousreply 390October 28, 2020 1:09 PM

Was it clear in the original that Mrs Danvers wanted to scissor with Rebecca until Manderly fell down?

by Anonymousreply 391October 28, 2020 1:47 PM

Apparently the new adaptation has de-Lezed Danvers.

by Anonymousreply 392October 28, 2020 2:01 PM

R387 No more times please!

by Anonymousreply 393October 28, 2020 3:10 PM

Yep, straight women gossip more than gay guys. And the sun rose in the west this morning.

by Anonymousreply 394October 28, 2020 4:13 PM

Humans gossip. No sex or sexuality owns gossip.

by Anonymousreply 395October 28, 2020 4:14 PM

Some real Fiat 500 Twitter moments here today.

by Anonymousreply 396October 28, 2020 4:32 PM

So he owned Manderley and was very wealthy but he wears the same mustard trousers during his entire stay in Monte Carlo? I found that very distracting and took me right out of the story.

by Anonymousreply 397October 29, 2020 2:13 PM

R397 Mrs Danvers packed his bag and on arrival he found all his other trousers had holes in the arse

by Anonymousreply 398October 29, 2020 7:40 PM

[quote] And yes as you say women love to trash talk each other. Its mainly women attacking Lily for example

two of those women were Armie's wife and Dominick West's wife

They don't like it when some slag fucks their husbands

by Anonymousreply 399November 1, 2020 10:32 PM

I hope Armie’s wife and Dominick’s wife taken their husbands to the cleaners. If Lily is going to be publicly slagged, then the boys should be too.

by Anonymousreply 400November 2, 2020 12:32 AM

The BBC version with Jeremy Brett as Mac De Winter is really good.

by Anonymousreply 401November 2, 2020 12:45 AM

Will you two ass off already? Jesus Christ what a pair of bores.

by Anonymousreply 402November 2, 2020 12:47 AM

[Quote] They don't like it when some slag fucks their husbands

Their husbands are slags so it's all par for the course.

by Anonymousreply 403November 2, 2020 10:33 AM

Armie voted once again hottest man in town, more starlets wanna suck his cock than even Darren criss.

by Anonymousreply 404November 2, 2020 12:38 PM

R404 I did a recount.

He has to keep his friends on the pay-roll because he's unlikeable and he has to pay hoes to endure sex with him because he's un-fuckable.

Get your tetanus shots ladies!

by Anonymousreply 405November 2, 2020 3:47 PM

Every time I click on this thread all I hear is Carol Burnett screeching : Rebecky! Rebecky! Rebecky!

by Anonymousreply 406November 2, 2020 8:47 PM

[quote]R4 Lily is wayyyy too old.

I'm watching this now. Collins looks fine to me. I mean, she appears young. (Don't know how old she really is.) The problem is she's much too pretty. The best I've seen in this role is Samantha Fox (below) from the 1997 version. She had great bone structure, but was so paper thin she seemed properly intimidated. Plus, she's just a really good actress who created an actual character.

Mr. Hammer - who I've only seen in THE SOCIAL NETWORK - is a guy who really needs to lose a few pounds. His face looks slack and pudgy.

As for Manderley, the exterior of the house they've chosen is blocky and not mysterious or beautiful at all. Which is curious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407January 24, 2021 1:13 AM

[quote]R5 Why would the 2nd Mrs. de Winter let her dark roots show? Did Mrs. Danvers kill the Manderley hairstylist?

Natural blondes often times have darker hair closer to the scalp. It's one of the hard things to achieve when doing a natural looking dye job. I think it's because authentically blonde hair on its top layer gets further bleached by the sun.

by Anonymousreply 408January 24, 2021 1:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!