Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

$600 unemployment bonuses did not lead to people working less, Yale study shows

Economists at Yale University found no evidence that the $600 weekly jobless benefits Congress authorized in March reduced employment. A study from the Chicago Fed had similar findings. The studies' results directly challenge a claim frequently made by Republican lawmakers and members of the Trump administration that the extra unemployment payments decreased people's desire to reenter the workforce. The expanded benefits from the CARES Act, a $2.2 trillion stimulus package passed in March, are set to expire on July 31.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156August 8, 2020 11:27 AM

Read it and weap, rethugs.

by Anonymousreply 1July 31, 2020 2:20 PM

Well?

by Anonymousreply 2July 31, 2020 2:29 PM

There you have it.

by Anonymousreply 3July 31, 2020 2:32 PM

Not sure if I believe this study. I know someone who has told me he will not work (he is in healthcare) because the unemployment with the $600 is pretty generous and why should he risk his life in the medical field when he can stay home and cook, ride his bike, watch Netflix and have some good sex. That is his assessment. He said he will go back to work (he has been called 2 times by recruiters and said no) if the benefits drop because he will need to.

by Anonymousreply 4July 31, 2020 2:42 PM

R4 there was another study from a different university that found the same thing.

Your anecdotal evidence of your friend is not the same as a scientific study.

by Anonymousreply 5July 31, 2020 2:45 PM

R4 I know people like this as well. It makes sense.

In today’s world, we can’t rely on common sense unless people like r5 has a scientific study to back it up.

by Anonymousreply 6July 31, 2020 3:00 PM

That's bullshit, the employment agencies show an enormous upturn in people signing up this entire week.

But of course Yale conveniently ignores that data.

by Anonymousreply 7July 31, 2020 3:01 PM

R7 These studies are very well...crafted ...to achieve the results they would like to publish.

by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2020 3:04 PM

R4, actually the study says that there are stronger reasons now than the $600 as to why people don't want to go to work: Lack of available jobs, fear of getting the virus, difficulty in finding child care, etc.

Your friend's comment confirms that.

by Anonymousreply 9July 31, 2020 3:09 PM

[quote] These studies are very well...crafted ...to achieve the results they would like to publish.

your comments are well crafted to try to refute whatever you don't want to believe.

by Anonymousreply 10July 31, 2020 3:09 PM

[quote] That's bullshit, the employment agencies show an enormous upturn in people signing up this entire week.

That confirms there just aren't alot of jobs around.

by Anonymousreply 11July 31, 2020 3:10 PM

If an extra $600/week is making you rethink working, perhaps your jobs is underpaying you.

by Anonymousreply 12July 31, 2020 3:11 PM

[quote] Read it and weap, rethugs.

Beyond the spelling of "weep", there are two problems with this statement. 1.) Republicans are incapable of emotion and 2.) Republicans are unwilling to read. Draw an easily understood picture and maybe then they’ll get the point.

by Anonymousreply 13July 31, 2020 3:12 PM

The conversation we should be having is that wages are so fucking low that 600$ a week seems like a lot to a major portion of the population of this country. And sorry, you can go fuck yourselves if you think people should be risking their lives cutting up chicken for $7.50 an hour for your fat asses.

by Anonymousreply 14July 31, 2020 3:13 PM

Exactly. Pay your employees a decent wage and stop trying to break their backs during a pandemic and not even give them a raise.

It’s pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 15July 31, 2020 3:14 PM

The six hundred is based on minium wage in many states.

Yet the rethugs don’t even want to give people minium wage. They want to cut it down to $200 which would be $5/hr.

Sickening.

by Anonymousreply 16July 31, 2020 3:16 PM

It has been decades since I was on unemployment but when I was, you had to apply for jobs and show that you have, to keep getting unemployment. If you are laid off and they recall you to work, you have to return, if you don't you are considered to have quit and unemployment stops.

I can't imagine it has changed.

by Anonymousreply 17July 31, 2020 3:19 PM

R16 they aren’t just getting the 600. That 600 is in addition to state unemployment benefits.

If you normally got 275 a week in unemployment, now your getting 875. State benefit plus the 600. So for the person who makes 15 dollars an hour, they are still making more money staying home.

by Anonymousreply 18July 31, 2020 3:30 PM

Companies can afford to pay a lot more money than they do. Labor rates are way out of proportion to all other inflated prices.

It’s time to pay people some money so 2/3 of the country isn’t poor. That doesn’t help anyone to have so many desperate people on the brink.

by Anonymousreply 19July 31, 2020 3:32 PM

I’m going to go with Yale v.s. random thoughts of internet trolls.

by Anonymousreply 20July 31, 2020 3:33 PM

[quote] So for the person who makes 15 dollars an hour, they are still making more money staying home.

That just goes to show that $15 /hour is still too low of a wage in today's age

by Anonymousreply 21July 31, 2020 3:34 PM

Um, what jobs are people going to find exactly?

The economy just contracted by over 30%

by Anonymousreply 22July 31, 2020 3:35 PM

[quote] The conversation we should be having is that wages are so fucking low that 600$ a week seems like a lot to a major portion of the population of this country.

No, the conversation should be about placing the dollar sign appropriately.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 23July 31, 2020 3:45 PM

We need to rethink work itself, and this would be an ideal time. Unfortunately, we are locked into a top-heavy, wage slavery economy and that seems to be the ideal everyone wants to get back to.

by Anonymousreply 24July 31, 2020 3:57 PM

This isn’t news. Experiments with UBI decades ago showed that if people didn’t go back to work, they focused on going to college or bringing up their children. Like most Republican economic theories, the whole “a stronger safety net makes everyone lazy” is unsupported (and actually refuted) by the evidence.

by Anonymousreply 25July 31, 2020 4:12 PM

Good for you r20!!

Forget common sense and just listen to what you are told by Yale. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 26July 31, 2020 4:17 PM

But Trump's uncle taught at Yale R26! Why do you hate our president??!!

by Anonymousreply 27July 31, 2020 4:23 PM

Ivy League! Just like Wharton!!!

by Anonymousreply 28July 31, 2020 4:25 PM

I wish Democrats were this concerned about unemployment payments in 2008. 2008 through 2012 was brutal and nothing was done to increase payments or do anything at all to stave off foreclosures.

by Anonymousreply 29July 31, 2020 4:27 PM

Fuck off R29.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 31, 2020 4:31 PM

With all due respect, r30, you can fuck yourself right to hell with that one. You really have no idea what those three years were like if you lost your job.

by Anonymousreply 31July 31, 2020 4:35 PM

Every needs to kill Reaganomics. Every Republican idea is useless when it comes to this. Only FDR and LBJ had the right idea. Pump the economy up, and ignore any and all blather about the deficit and disincentives and all that other horseshit designed to ensure that nobody who actually needs help gets any.

by Anonymousreply 32July 31, 2020 4:37 PM

And you R31 have no fucking clue what was going on in those three years if you're forgetting that the GOP was trying to cut your unemployment off and were willing to send the economy off a cliff just to deny Obama and the Dems any success.

by Anonymousreply 33July 31, 2020 4:37 PM

You lost your job in the first place because of republicans greed and recklessness.

by Anonymousreply 34July 31, 2020 4:38 PM

And just a reminder, r30, Democrats controlled both houses and the presidency from 2008 to 2010.

by Anonymousreply 35July 31, 2020 4:38 PM

Republicans have had all 3 branches for the last 4 years.

And here we are again.

They own this disaster like all the other ones.

by Anonymousreply 36July 31, 2020 4:39 PM

$600 is nothing. We are in the middle of a pandemic and many people are out of work. Of course the repigs are trying to shame the public for using their own tax dollars.

Those who are against the $600 unemployment bonus are no better than republicans.

by Anonymousreply 37July 31, 2020 4:41 PM

R35 Democrats had a filibuster proof majority for only about 60 days during that time. Try your Brietbart talking points somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 38July 31, 2020 4:42 PM

R36 don't get me wrong, I'm happily voting for for Biden. But there's a huge bitterness over how Democrats are handling unemployment this time around when in 2008 we were fucked over by them.

by Anonymousreply 39July 31, 2020 4:43 PM

There was total obstructionism from the ever useless Republicans, but I agree that Obama was too cautious and took people like Robert Rubin too seriously. People who think if Wall Street is happy, everyone's happy. gotta get away from that idea.

by Anonymousreply 40July 31, 2020 4:44 PM

Democrats did extend unemployment for like 2.5 years until the republicans took control and refused to extend it. Let’s not go making things up about democrats.

They also expanded Medicaid and passed the ACA.

Stop making up lies. People’s livelihoods are at stake.

by Anonymousreply 41July 31, 2020 4:46 PM

Democratic House passed another pandemic relief package in May. They passed a $15 minimum wage and a smattering of other progressive bills last year. They are sitting in the Senate because Mitch McConnell refuses to let them go to the floor. But do tell me again trolls how the problem is Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 42July 31, 2020 4:46 PM

the problem is definitely not the Democrats these days. I think they have gotten out from under the fog of Reaganomics that they were under. They have moved left, thank the jeebus.

by Anonymousreply 43July 31, 2020 4:48 PM

Nancy is staring down Mitch as we speak in favor of working people.

That is leadership.

by Anonymousreply 44July 31, 2020 4:49 PM

R41 where I was from, we were expected to live on $405 dollars a week and after taxes it was like $350.

by Anonymousreply 45July 31, 2020 4:49 PM

Thanks Nancy! Don’t give up!!

by Anonymousreply 46July 31, 2020 4:54 PM

R45 and if McConnell had gotten his way (then and now), it would be $0.

by Anonymousreply 47July 31, 2020 4:56 PM

And that has to what with Democrats pandering in 2020?

by Anonymousreply 48July 31, 2020 4:58 PM

I just got onto unemployment after a decent contract ended, and the “bonus” pay from the feds combined with the state pay is still under what I was making last year by a fair margin. I AM looking for work, but the job market is really bleak, and I have a graduate degree. In fact, pretty much the only jobs out there involving teaching won’t guarantee that the teaching will be done online this fall, putting myself and students at further risk (with shitty pay and no benefits). Hell no. This crisis just highlights how horrible our jobs really are these days with benefits shrinking and very few unions to protect us anymore—I have a graduate degree and people want to pay me $5k-$7k to to teach a class with no benefits, and I could expect to make maybe $40k/year teaching a full college course load ALL year with no benefits still. Does anyone else see this as a bigger problem than paying extra unemployment during Covid? No one gives a shit about workers and paying a liveable wage these days, yet Republicans are up in arms about paying for unemployment to keep people safe and at least partially financially secure through a national crisis while giving billions in kickbacks to corporations and rich friends.

by Anonymousreply 49July 31, 2020 5:10 PM

So the Democrats were pandering in May when they passed the bill in the House to extend the enhanced unemployment benefits? Fuck off troll.

by Anonymousreply 50July 31, 2020 5:10 PM

Even with the unemployment bonuses, the economy contracted by a record 30%.

Even $600 isn't high enough to save this sinking ship

by Anonymousreply 51July 31, 2020 5:12 PM

R50 next time you're wondering why people vote third party r just don't vote you'll have your answer. Yes, pandering in May. It's an election year.

by Anonymousreply 52July 31, 2020 5:22 PM

So the Democrats put together a pandemic response bill not in response to a pandemic, but because it's an election year? Sure, that totally makes sense.

Democrats fight to extend unemployment benefits during a recession while the GOP wants to cut them off and you complain because the Dems didn't increase the monetary amount.

Now Dems both increase the monetary amount and are fighting again extend both the benefits and the enhanced amount, but you accuse them of pandering.

But radio silence on the GOP who are ready to kill both the extension and the enhanced amount.

Tell me *one* thing any of your third party heroes has done to put pressure on McConnell or other GOP senators to get the unemployment bill passed. Or any of the other progressive legislation including the $15 min wage (which the House passed in a non-election year). Just *one.*

Fuck off troll, we see right through you.

by Anonymousreply 53July 31, 2020 5:31 PM

People prefer staying home during covid. Makes sense to me. If you can get $600 extra on the unemployment most will stay home indefinitely. This is not going to re-start the economy, just bring more federal debt.

by Anonymousreply 54July 31, 2020 5:32 PM

If you're worried about the federal debt, rescind the tax cuts that never created new jobs anyway. The unemployment payments allow people who actually spend the money that keeps the economy afloat to keep spending.

by Anonymousreply 55July 31, 2020 5:34 PM

I'm voting for Biden, r53, but it doesn't mean I love how congressional Democrats have governed. So, If that makes me a troll then I wear it as a badge of honor.

by Anonymousreply 56July 31, 2020 5:35 PM

Posting clueless contrarian bullshit doesn't make you seem smart R56, it just reveals you aren't paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 57July 31, 2020 5:37 PM

yeah, a lot of us do think that is a big deal r49. It bothers me that that situation, low pay, no benefits, no security, is some fucking ideal for a lot of people, that that is the dream we are supposed to get back to when this Covid thing ends.

by Anonymousreply 58July 31, 2020 5:43 PM

I'm posting my experience, r57. It's not contrarian bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 59July 31, 2020 5:45 PM

"I'm voting for Biden but let me tell you why Dems suck oh and I have nothing to say or do about the GOP leaving us all to FOAD" is contrarian bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 60July 31, 2020 5:48 PM

Voting for the GOP is voting for what it stands for: The rich should get the most money

EVERYTHING it does makes sense when seen through this lens

by Anonymousreply 61July 31, 2020 5:49 PM

R60 it was the Democrats who were in charge in 2008-2010 and left the unemployed hang out to dry and now championing a huge increase in benefits in an election year. Republicans have always been assholes and you know you're going to get fucked over by them. Democrats go where the votes go.

by Anonymousreply 62July 31, 2020 5:54 PM

We've had ongoing unemployment issues since 2008 that were never dealt with. Low unemployment % after the recession were only due to people being cut off by Republicans and thus no longer counted into stats as unemployed. There were some older folks ended up on early SS because of disability. Same with health compromised people that were still working before 2008. Employers made single employees work the jobs of 3 people. The other desperate souls likely ended up at shit jobs, or fell off the map (homeless, live with family, and so on.)

Point being, that Republicans ALWAYS try to make the argument that they're forcing people to work without evidence of that's the case. They didn't "force people back to work" last time, and they won't this time either. Not when there's no work to go back to. They KNOW this but don't care because the devastating results are not tracked.

by Anonymousreply 63July 31, 2020 5:54 PM

People who call others names such as Trump bots or right wing loving nazis are libtards. They deserve the label since they throw the first stone with name calling, usually when they run out of a sensible argument. Call me a name, you are a libtard. Thank you and enjoy the day!

by Anonymousreply 64July 31, 2020 6:04 PM

R62 repeating your bullshit doesn't make it true. We were there and we know exactly what happened in 2009 (not -8 dumbass) and 2010.

by Anonymousreply 65July 31, 2020 6:09 PM

There's also going to be so much demand for work, that even if there's a small portion "milking it", will only free up job positions for the newly 40 million out of work. Do people honestly believe the small amount of bums, choosing not to go back to work, are getting a deal? They'd only hurt themselves when the jobs go to someone else.

I don't believe a lot of these anecdotes anyway -- had one person try to tell me they "know someone/ heard of someone" (don't they always?) that worked at McDonald's making $50 a week and now is bringing in $650. Bullshit. First of all, unemployment is so much lower than usual wage, that for many, the $600 put them about where they should be if they were working. It's capped off so low, that anyone making $20 or more an hour, complete shit wages these days, was always getting fucked by the $505 cap (and that's in NYS, which is more generous.)

The $600 seems too generous, but they could've adjusted by offering to pay usual wages, or tiered the extra amount, or maybe they knew/ know, many people don't have jobs to go back to, so hopefully people making out saved it for a buffer.

Really though, of anyone is losing sleep over this, thinking people are gaming the system, it's a waste of worrying -- those few turning down jobs will have it catch up (wait till they have to pay that back), and it's no where near the problem Republicans try to make it out to be. Ask them where that $600 billion in small business money went before worrying about the little people making out for once.

by Anonymousreply 66July 31, 2020 6:09 PM

that's always the stupid shit people get all caught up in, always ignoring the big honking grift that is the Defense Department, the pharmaceutical industry, boeing, oh really a ton of industries, oh and of course the fucking endless grift that is the Trump white house. But yeah, let's bitch and moan and sob and howl that somebody got $600 without giving a cut to Trump.

by Anonymousreply 67July 31, 2020 6:12 PM

In a pandemic, where you have the unique situation where you want people to NOT work (at least outside the home) if they aren't essential, it makes sense to bump up the benefit as incentive. The problem is we can't have common sense discussions and policies because of the existence of the GOP and the deplorables who believe every stupid thing they say.

by Anonymousreply 68July 31, 2020 6:14 PM

Just give the money to the people already. It’s their money.

by Anonymousreply 69July 31, 2020 6:18 PM

exactly, r69, nevermind all the hoops are sorting out the worthy and unworthy. Send another round of checks and shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 70July 31, 2020 6:19 PM

[quote]It has been decades since I was on unemployment but when I was, you had to apply for jobs and show that you have, to keep getting unemployment. If you are laid off and they recall you to work, you have to return, if you don't you are considered to have quit and unemployment stops.

[quote]I can't imagine it has changed.

I was on unemployment in late 2016 into early 2017. The job search/applications is still a weekly requirement, but I did everything on an online portal. If applied for jobs online I had to enter the url to the career page or application site, if I went to businesses to talk to managers/employers, I had to enter in who I talked to.

by Anonymousreply 71July 31, 2020 7:47 PM

R21 I can confirm this is still the case, except because of the high volume of people on unemployment, they’ve temporarily stopped asking for you specific business contacts during the week, although they’re still asking if you looked for work, etc. each week.

by Anonymousreply 72July 31, 2020 8:30 PM

Oops I meant R71, not R21

by Anonymousreply 73July 31, 2020 8:31 PM

I know, r72, they need to stop burdening people with nonsense and just admit it's a depression and send the damn checks out. Fuck the noise about who is trying oh so really hard to find nonexistent jobs, and just send a bunch of check out. republicans suck.

by Anonymousreply 74July 31, 2020 8:32 PM

I got no stimulus and won't get any in the second round either. I still have to work and don't buy anything with someone else's money. Life sucks.

by Anonymousreply 75July 31, 2020 9:59 PM

you should, r75. Everyone should get a damn check. Everyone. It's stupid to pick and choose at this point. And it's really stupid to hold everything up because some bitter bitch needs to decide who is worthy of living or paying rent or buying food.

by Anonymousreply 76August 1, 2020 12:33 AM

oh everyone wake up. I want to fight with someone.

by Anonymousreply 77August 1, 2020 1:32 AM

[quote] and I have a graduate degree. In fact, pretty much the only jobs out there involving teaching won’t guarantee that the teaching will be done online this fall, putting myself and students at further risk (with shitty pay and no benefits).

[quote]I have a graduate degree

Gee, you’d think with all the high falutin’ degrees and teaching credentials they would have taught paragraphs somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 78August 1, 2020 2:23 PM
by Anonymousreply 79August 1, 2020 4:58 PM

Eat shit Republicans

by Anonymousreply 80August 1, 2020 5:00 PM

r4, he can't turn down his previous work and not lose his unemployment.

If he works through an agency perhaps they aren't reporting his refusals due to not being his previous employment but not working because your health is in danger is a legit reason to collect unemployment. State says stay the fuck home, stay the fuck home.

by Anonymousreply 81August 1, 2020 5:03 PM

R78 enlighten us, oh genius of DL. How does one code for paragraphs?

by Anonymousreply 82August 1, 2020 5:15 PM
by Anonymousreply 83August 1, 2020 5:16 PM

Double returns, r82.

And relax. DL is known for its snark and attention to detail when it comes to grammar and punctuation.

by Anonymousreply 84August 2, 2020 10:57 AM

[quote]People who call others names such as Trump bots or right wing loving nazis are libtards.

You're off claiming Bill Clinton is a pedo on a bunch of other threads. You wanna hear the names I've got for you? They're pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 85August 2, 2020 11:03 AM

It's crazy how the Republicans want to hand out billions to giant businesses but not give money to the people who paid the taxes. It's THEIR money.

They should have made it a requirement for the loans - if you are incorporated overseas in a tax haven, no loans for you.

by Anonymousreply 86August 2, 2020 11:04 AM

R86 this is what surprises me again and again—Republicans constantly give federal kickbacks to corporations owned by friends and spend big on military, yet bitch about welfare queens and stick it to their own voters time and again by trying to destroy Obamacare, yet your everyday lower SES Republican voter will vote against their own interests and vote Republican every time because “family values” and ???? I know a staunch Republican who complains about social programs from Dems like unemployment, social security, etc. but hypocritically relied on unemployment himself when he was laid off. Who gave you that money to survive, bitch? It wasn’t the Republicans!

by Anonymousreply 87August 2, 2020 5:31 PM

R87 someone should start a pledge drive to have TRUE Republicans sign, declaring how they will refuse to use welfare, social security, unemployment insurance, workers compensation, Medicare or Medicaid, or any programs because they're "against big government". Make it legally enforceable.

by Anonymousreply 88August 2, 2020 7:09 PM

R88. That would only be good if they would then be exempt for paying taxes to fund welfare, food stamps etc. for so many others. Many would sign the pledge.

by Anonymousreply 89August 2, 2020 7:13 PM

R88 that's the sad part of it all, they never would. I know these types of people and they have no problem when it's for them. They only complain if it's someone else. An acquaintance of my partner is like that -- 4 person family on NYS Medicaid, HEAP, and so on. Couple won't even marry because of it. You should have heard him running his mouth about the $600. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 90August 2, 2020 7:58 PM

[quote]I know a staunch Republican who complains about social programs from Dems like unemployment, social security, etc. but hypocritically relied on unemployment himself when he was laid off. Who gave you that money to survive, bitch? It wasn’t the Republicans!

I have Republican relatives like that. Most of them have relied on programs like unemployment and EBT a few times in their lives.

by Anonymousreply 91August 3, 2020 4:01 AM

[quote]I know a staunch Republican who complains about social programs from Dems like unemployment, social security, etc. but hypocritically relied on unemployment himself when he was laid off. Who gave you that money to survive, bitch? It wasn’t the Republicans!

I have Republican relatives like that. Most of them have relied on programs like unemployment and EBT a few times in their lives.

by Anonymousreply 92August 3, 2020 4:01 AM

[quote]Draw an easily understood picture and maybe then they’ll get the point.

Even then, r13, it's dicey.

by Anonymousreply 93August 3, 2020 5:16 AM

It’s not Mitch’s money.

It’s the tax payer’s money.

by Anonymousreply 94August 3, 2020 5:37 PM

Give the people their own damn money.

All the highest earners got a tax cut last year so the least they can do is extend the benefits until the end of the year.

by Anonymousreply 95August 3, 2020 5:47 PM

Don’t let the rethugs pull this stunt.

by Anonymousreply 96August 3, 2020 7:28 PM

I agree, Pelosi has to hold out. The 600$ payments will have to be backdated when the Recunts finally give in, which they will, if any of them think they’re going to be re-elected, and that includes Mitch McConnell.

by Anonymousreply 97August 4, 2020 12:18 AM

[quote]The 600$ payments

Oh, dear!

When have you EVER seen this written this way?

Pick up any newspaper, sales ad or virtually anything!

by Anonymousreply 98August 4, 2020 11:29 AM

I work in a staffing agency, and many, many people have told us flat out that they don't want to work when the government sends them money for staying home. It's a nightmare trying to find anyone, and these jobs are not all entry-level. Our wages range from $15 to $35 per hour.

by Anonymousreply 99August 4, 2020 11:34 AM

Tell them to report those people.

That’s such a specious republican argument. If you decline work you’re not eligible for unemployment insurance.

by Anonymousreply 100August 4, 2020 11:37 AM

R100, that's not true. If you decline to work in your current job, you will be denied unemployment. If a new employer wants to hire you but you don't take the job, you get unemployment.

by Anonymousreply 101August 4, 2020 11:40 AM

I'm curious who is going to pay for all of these feebies. Is there any plan at all for paying this back?

by Anonymousreply 102August 4, 2020 11:59 AM

No, r101. If you turn down employment you are no longer eligible. Period.

Whether it’s your old job or a new one offered, if you turn it down. You have to certify weekly that you’re not only looking for employment but that you haven’t turned down offers of employment.

by Anonymousreply 103August 4, 2020 12:07 PM

R103, I would imagine that people who are offered a new job and decline it would not include that job offer on their weekly certification. Employers don't have time to police and report who turns down jobs.

by Anonymousreply 104August 4, 2020 12:22 PM

That’s my point, r104.

Yes, people will lie on their certifications, but if these companies are saying they can’t get anyone then they need to write down the names of those they offered jobs to and forward it to the DOL.

by Anonymousreply 105August 4, 2020 12:37 PM

Most of the comments are just ridiculous. Who can't do simple basic math, let's start shall we. A person that makes 15 dollar an hour that works 40 hours a week makes 600 a week before taxes. Now state unemployment pays 50 percent which comes out to 300 or 200 and change after taxes then they get extra 600 federal money. Which comes to 800-900 a week and times it by 4 that is almost 3600 dollars a month. Those people are overpayed by at least 1300 dollars a month, so they are not poor at the moment. Now, I have been working throughout this pandemic even though I work from home I still have to go to the office twice a week. Most offices intend to reopen fully in September so that ridiculous excuse that people are fearful of their health is bullshit. It is an excuse to not look for work and stay home collecting checks that my taxes are currently paying for so people like me working have a right to voice our opposition. If essential workers had to work throughout this pandemic then people have no excuses.

by Anonymousreply 106August 4, 2020 12:37 PM

You seem to be good with basic arithmetic.

English and grammar on the other hand....

by Anonymousreply 107August 4, 2020 12:42 PM

R107. Have you finished. Can't attack my point so you result to irrelevant bs . I guess you weren't that smart enough to keep a job.

by Anonymousreply 108August 4, 2020 12:56 PM

R108, what is there to attack about your point? Your math is wrong? It’s not.

And your guess would be wrong. As an essential worker I’ve been out in this thing from the start. Not looking for accolades because I hate having to do it, but there’s really no choice.

by Anonymousreply 109August 4, 2020 1:01 PM

R105, so employers now have to hire someone to report everyone who doesn't want a job. Then they also have to complete the paperwork sent to them to protest the unemployment of the person who declined the job. The person who declined said job will dispute it and call the would-have-been new employer a liar. At the end of the day, the employer loses, the government loses, and the person who refuses to work wins. It's like winning the lottery for a lot of people. I am an office worker who has to fight these claims, and it gets ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 110August 4, 2020 1:05 PM

$600 is such a small amount of money anyway.

by Anonymousreply 111August 4, 2020 1:05 PM

R111. Not to someone making minimum wage before the pandemic. They hit the jackpot for the moment.

by Anonymousreply 112August 4, 2020 1:55 PM

R106 where are people supposed to work?

by Anonymousreply 113August 4, 2020 3:00 PM

R99 NO ONE IS TURNING DOWN WORK AT $35 an hour.

You’re totally lying through your teeth.

by Anonymousreply 114August 4, 2020 3:01 PM

Republicans are so full of shit.

If you believe a single word they say then you are part of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 115August 4, 2020 3:03 PM

The “but the states are giving money too troll” is full of it:

“The $600 unemployment boost is gone. That leaves some with just $5 a week”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116August 4, 2020 3:08 PM

R114, we hire RNs, paralegals, and computer programmers. You need to get out more.

by Anonymousreply 117August 4, 2020 3:12 PM

It's hard to sympathize when I didn't get an extra $600 when I was unemployed in 2009-2010 and now after taxes, 401k and insurance, my weekly take home is less than what people are getting right now to sit at home and watch Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 118August 4, 2020 4:59 PM

Jackpot R112?

Hardly.

by Anonymousreply 119August 4, 2020 4:59 PM

R118. Thank you. Most of the people are expecting us that are still employed working full time and making less to sympathize with them almost making 4 grand a month doing nothing. R 119. It is a real life jackpot if you were making 15 dollar an hour. Yes that extra 1300 dollars they are overpayed from unemployment is sweet. R116. Most of the people that are not getting any money from their state unemployment are either getting paid off the books or haven't been making money for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 120August 4, 2020 5:12 PM

R120 the bigger point is that we grossly underpay many people who work full time hours, so much so that this $600 now looks like luxury pay to people who want to complain about others getting it. “go back to work and get your shitty pay—this is too much and you don’t deserve it even in a pandemic.” That in and of itself speaks volumes about how much we “value” our workforce in this country.

by Anonymousreply 121August 4, 2020 5:20 PM

R107 actually says 3600 a month makes someone "not poor".

WOW.

by Anonymousreply 122August 4, 2020 5:48 PM

R112. They are not poor in comparison to those working throughout this pandemic who are paid measly. We should be addressing income inequality in this country. For instance, a place like New york 15 dollar an hour is nothing but that is the minimum wage with its high cost of living. We are comfortable putting bandage on this crisis instead asking the question of why people are paid crap.

by Anonymousreply 123August 4, 2020 6:15 PM

So blame the employers for not raising wages during the pandemic, not other people struggling.

by Anonymousreply 124August 4, 2020 6:21 PM

R124. You don't completely get it. People should not be paid more than their bi-weekly pay check just to sit around because they currently unemployed. By the way, Democratic politicians don't want to address income inequality. Ask yourself why. A lot of employees don't want to give their employees raises and it is more of a complicated issue.

by Anonymousreply 125August 4, 2020 6:33 PM

Remember these details about McTurtle. The GOP must be purged in November.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126August 4, 2020 6:39 PM

Pass the damn bill already!!

by Anonymousreply 127August 4, 2020 7:02 PM

r127: They still debating this shit until Thursday. Just pay people the extra $600 until the end of the year. It is not like they don’t have the fucking money.

by Anonymousreply 128August 4, 2020 7:06 PM

The Republican argument is bullshit as usual, as the data shows.

by Anonymousreply 129August 4, 2020 7:10 PM

We have to think of Wall Street!

by Anonymousreply 130August 4, 2020 7:28 PM

The Yale study is bullshit since it is politically motivated.

by Anonymousreply 131August 4, 2020 7:31 PM

Yale - that is the same university that gave us the study that said the malaria drug works for Covid. I guess it's just whatever study you find convenient, eh?

by Anonymousreply 132August 4, 2020 8:28 PM

Why are the rethugs dragging this out?!

by Anonymousreply 133August 4, 2020 8:34 PM

They are going to drag it till October or November

by Anonymousreply 134August 4, 2020 8:49 PM

R131 what about the Chicago Fed study that found the same thing?

by Anonymousreply 135August 4, 2020 11:28 PM

The Yale study was simply confirming prior studies that have examined this same issue. In any case, the jobs aren't there, so it's a genuinely stupid argument, anyway. The people you're giving that money to are keeping the economy afloat because they spend it right away. Taking that away is going to have some pretty disastrous consequences for the economy for the rest of the year.

IT's also worth noting that McConnell has said that as many as 20 members of his caucus don't want to spend *any* more money right now. They are so ridiculously out of touch with reality that they believe that everything's just totally fine.

by Anonymousreply 136August 5, 2020 1:20 AM

R132, just out of curiosity, do you honestly not realize how genuinely and hilariously stupid your post is?

by Anonymousreply 137August 5, 2020 1:22 AM

Imean, it's been 40 years and some people still believe in Trickle Down Economics

by Anonymousreply 138August 5, 2020 1:32 AM

[quote] They are so ridiculously out of touch with reality that they believe that everything's just totally fine.

Of course. They’re still collecting a paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 139August 5, 2020 11:56 AM

r101. not true. The problem is the states don't MAKE people fill out information on the JOBS they are supposed to be looking for. Because there are so many unemployed people they don't have the staff to call the information given and check that you really applied and were turned down or not offered a position.

And I don't believe people aren't accepting $25-35 dollar and hour jobs in their field. A data entry job paying $15 an hour when you used to make 100k is not comparable work. You don't have to accept that. How can you job hunt in your field when you work someone where else for 40 hours a week.

You used to get randomly selected to submit all your work searches and they followed up. It's just impossible to do that that now.

If there is a % making more more and don't want to go back to their minimum wage job -like $8 in some red state then bully for them for getting a living wage for maybe 6 months out of their damn life.

by Anonymousreply 140August 7, 2020 3:20 AM

r106, what about the people that are unemployed and make $9-10 and hour bringing home less than $400 a week. Then they get <200 from unemployment. No 600 they are supposed to live off 800 a month? If they are getting more than they make usually - so what? temporarily in a new tax bracket and can breathe. Maybe they will be inspired to learn a trade or get education to get a better job.

r102, where you this concerned about the corporate tax cut? The money goes back into the economy. These unemployed people making more than usual are spending more than they usually could. This will help the economy rebound. It's not going to rebound if people are making between $100-450 from state unemployment. They will struggle to pay bills never mind buy anything.

The temporary extra they may get will help with the economic recovery. Those businesses that need customers need people to have money.

by Anonymousreply 141August 7, 2020 3:29 AM

R140. It is not just six months since democrats are trying to extend it till the rest of the year. You can carry on making excuses for why they should be getting more money than those currently employed. Someone making 15 dollar an hour or less shouldn't be making almost 900-1000 dollar a week. It is unfair to those working and still getting the standard minimum wage. The economy won't suffer because some unemployed are getting the weekly amount prior to been laid off. I believe in fairness and giving more money to those sitting home doing nothing is not the way to address high unemployment. The discussion should be why is there a huge income disparities in this country. Most Democratic politicians won't even address that issue but will instead implement policies even short term that causes friction between the employed and the unemployed.

by Anonymousreply 142August 7, 2020 10:43 AM

R141. your argument is just as flawed. One the job market is not great right now and where would someone that used to flip burger at McDonald's get a high paying job. Even if they went back to school to learn a skill it will take a while to land a well paying job. We can't keep throwing money at the problem this way.

by Anonymousreply 143August 7, 2020 10:56 AM

R143 it's been fucking five months. We've given far more money to corporations and endless cash to prop up the stock market. I think we can handle six months of extended benefits.

by Anonymousreply 144August 7, 2020 4:14 PM

What’s the hold up. They need to pass something or resign

by Anonymousreply 145August 7, 2020 4:17 PM

R145 Republicans. Democrats passed their bill in May. Republicans refused to do anything until last week when the benefits expired, because they don't give a shit. They ignored the Democrats' bill when they could have been negotiating and working all of this out in plenty of time. The brinkmanship is intentional.

by Anonymousreply 146August 7, 2020 4:19 PM

Did everyone leave Capital Hill or are they still debating?

by Anonymousreply 147August 7, 2020 4:56 PM

The poors are boors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148August 7, 2020 4:57 PM

R140 Why do you hate America?

by Anonymousreply 149August 7, 2020 5:00 PM

This is such a sad state. The republicans can not bring themselves to help working people even though they shove billions of tax payer dollars billionaires.

It’s pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 150August 7, 2020 5:08 PM

Both the Senate and House left for the weekend after Thursday’s sessions. The chambers have delayed their planned August recesses as they anticipate votes on a pandemic relief package.

If the sides can avoid executive action and reach a deal, passage of a bill may not come for at least another week.

by Anonymousreply 151August 7, 2020 5:18 PM

So people on unemployment aren’t getting the $600 this week?

by Anonymousreply 152August 7, 2020 5:24 PM

It ended on the 31st.

Meanwhile the rethugs are riding around in tax payer funded motorcades on the way to their mansions paid for by god knows who.

It’s sickening. This will be a long few weeks for the unemployed.

by Anonymousreply 153August 7, 2020 5:29 PM

Yale has been proven right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154August 7, 2020 6:53 PM

The proof is in the pudding

by Anonymousreply 155August 7, 2020 7:48 PM

Mmmmmmm.

Pudding.

by Anonymousreply 156August 8, 2020 11:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!