Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Comey Rule

First Look at The Comey Rule: The TV Drama That Will Enrage Trump The miniseries reveals everything former FBI director James Comey couldn’t say before. V.F. presents the first footage and an exclusive look at Brendan Gleeson as Trump, Jeff Daniels as Comey, and Holly Hunter as Yates.

(this is going to be delicious)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 22, 2020 10:01 PM

The two leads are low key and have good reputations which will make it hard for Trump to mean Tweet about them.

by Anonymousreply 1July 30, 2020 9:33 AM

Another article if the VF link doesn't work for you

by Anonymousreply 2July 30, 2020 9:39 AM

Oops sorry about that

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 30, 2020 9:48 AM

Ooooooh Gleeson's impersonation makes the hair on my neck stand up! He will win an Emmy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 24, 2020 1:41 PM

The jowls are drooping and the hair is ridiculous. Excellent. He'll be livid.

by Anonymousreply 5August 24, 2020 1:53 PM

The trailer looks good…very eerie, as R4 points out. I will watch this.

by Anonymousreply 6August 24, 2020 2:52 PM

I can’t fucking stand James Comey, but damn that looks good. I’ll have to watch.

by Anonymousreply 7August 24, 2020 2:57 PM

Looks good

by Anonymousreply 8August 24, 2020 4:52 PM

T.R Knight is in it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 24, 2020 5:34 PM

Oh FUCK. If this gets even one good review, Jeff Daniels' insufferability will go up 20 points. Seriously, this is the guy who did Dumb-and-Dumper movies. He does ONE serious TV show, gets some good press for it, and suddenly, he's Sir Lawrence Olivier. I can't handle watching him now as it is. Not since The Newsroom went off the air.

by Anonymousreply 10August 24, 2020 5:41 PM

When did he claim to be Laurence Olivier? Lighten up.

by Anonymousreply 11August 24, 2020 5:43 PM

Dumb-and-Dumper, the Story of Johnny Depp and Amber Heard

by Anonymousreply 12August 24, 2020 5:43 PM

God, that's creepy as fuck. Gleeson looks and sounds amazing.

by Anonymousreply 13August 24, 2020 5:44 PM

and creepy Doug Stamper from House of Cards is in it

by Anonymousreply 14August 24, 2020 6:52 PM

It's not extremely common for gay men to have kids. Lesbian couples are more likely to be raising kids than gay male couples

by Anonymousreply 15August 24, 2020 7:27 PM

They’ve got my man Jonathan Banks (Mike from Better Call Saul/Breaking Bad) playing James Clapper.

by Anonymousreply 16August 24, 2020 7:54 PM

Fuck him. That letter he released before the election derailed Hilary’s campaign.

Fuck him with a rusty chainsaw.

by Anonymousreply 17August 24, 2020 7:58 PM

[quote] They’ve got my man Jonathan Banks (Mike from Better Call Saul/Breaking Bad) playing James Clapper.

Seriously? That’s genius casting. That guy gets more juice out a pause followed by a single word than should be allowable by law.

by Anonymousreply 18August 24, 2020 7:59 PM

He’s at the :17 mark for literally one second in this trailer. I figured he has to be playing Clapper since he looks just like him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 24, 2020 8:13 PM

R10 and he became even more insufferable when he played Atticus Finch on broadway.

by Anonymousreply 20August 26, 2020 3:30 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 7, 2020 2:15 AM

LOL, R5. I love you.

by Anonymousreply 22September 7, 2020 2:16 AM

Good actors.

by Anonymousreply 23September 7, 2020 2:16 AM

I wish they would show the feral orange hog's morning routine in the film. Show him putting on his spanx, adjusting the lifts in his shoes, doing his hair, makeup and tan while scarfing down his several McGriddles.

by Anonymousreply 24September 7, 2020 2:25 AM

I love you, too, R24.

by Anonymousreply 25September 7, 2020 2:28 AM

From Wikipedia: "Daniel D'Addario of Variety gave the miniseries a negative review, saying ... 'Gleeson is at once the best and worst thing about The Comey Rule ... pushing his performance past a bizarre sheath of makeup that misses the mark.'"

Has D'Daddario ever seen a picture of Donald Trump?

by Anonymousreply 26September 7, 2020 2:32 AM

Maybe Gleason was playing Trump as sane people truly see him. I’m glad it’s not a dead-on exact portrayal.

by Anonymousreply 27September 7, 2020 10:48 PM

Times today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 23, 2020 3:38 PM

No "Bill" or "Cankles"?

by Anonymousreply 29September 23, 2020 3:57 PM

Who's watching?

by Anonymousreply 30September 28, 2020 2:10 AM

Fuck Comey. if not for him, we wouldn't have to put up with this nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 31September 28, 2020 2:18 AM

Are they still pushing this lie?

Here's what happened: the Trump campaign contracted with Russia to hack U. S. voting machines. To make Trump's surprise win more believable, they sent Comey out to announce a fake re-investigation of Hillary. That way they could say her loss was a result of this last minute bad news for her.

But by October everyone knew who they were voting for. His announcement- and begrudging vindication- had no effect; she won the popular vote.

The only mystery is why Hillary herself keeps repeating this farce. Was it tit-4-tat? 'We don't put you through investigation after investigation (and possible prison) if you say this'?

Hillary's been bad-mouthing Trump the past few weeks. So Trump said in one of his rallies that the investigation of Clinton's behavior may or may not be over. Was it a cryptic warning for her to back off?

by Anonymousreply 32September 28, 2020 2:22 AM

[QUOTE] Who's watching?

I forgot all about it. Waiting for the 11:30 repeat.

by Anonymousreply 33September 28, 2020 2:24 AM

Must-See TV!

by Anonymousreply 34September 28, 2020 2:43 AM

The guy playing Barack is great.

by Anonymousreply 35September 28, 2020 3:36 AM

R32 I believe you . Totally. But any links to confirm?

by Anonymousreply 36September 28, 2020 5:31 AM

Jeff Daniels is a very respected actor.

by Anonymousreply 37September 28, 2020 5:45 AM

Michael Kelly nails Andrew McCabe in both looks and mannerisms.

by Anonymousreply 38September 28, 2020 8:30 AM

He didn't get a lot to do but the guy who played Jared really captured his waxiness

by Anonymousreply 39September 28, 2020 5:23 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 40September 29, 2020 3:02 AM

Saw the first episode...like opening an old wound. So Comey is a grandstander but he was between a rock and hard place. Rudy was going to leak it anyway but still it fucked us good. I'm not sure if Hillary would've won anyway.

Lisa Page in interviews comes off so much more mellow that she is being portrayed. She being played as really obnoxious.

Loved that Comey's wife and his daughters were so pro Hillary.

Jeff Daniels is a really good actor.

by Anonymousreply 41September 30, 2020 2:54 PM

Why did Comey not announce the Russia shit when he had evidence of it??

by Anonymousreply 42September 30, 2020 3:02 PM

I'd never heard of Brendan Gleeson before this, but he's fantastic in the role.

Holly Hunter was good as Sally Yates, except for that signature beaver-whistle thing she doesh when she pronounshesh her S-esh.

by Anonymousreply 43September 30, 2020 3:15 PM

Bravo to Brendan Gleeson. I doubt anyone will do a better job at capturing the repulsiveness of Donald Trump. Everytime the camera closed in on his face while he was speaking, I wanted to vomit.

by Anonymousreply 44October 3, 2020 1:31 PM

I don't have Showtime, but casting Holly Hunter as Sally Yates is practically perfect in every way.

by Anonymousreply 45October 3, 2020 1:37 PM

The series was terrific. Gleeson just oozed Trump’s menacing narcissistic sociopathy and utter stupidity. The calligraphy exchange made me chortle.

by Anonymousreply 46October 3, 2020 1:48 PM

R31, I think that maybe it turned out to be a good thing for Hillary in the long run. No doubt about it, the Republicans would have started impeachment proceedings on her almost from day one. She still would have been able to run the country, but with a Republican majority, they would have had the upper hand. She probably wouldn't have been able to last a complete term. Trump's ties to Russia, his crimes, his corruption would never have been exposed, and if they were, no one would have believed the allegations. However, I do believe that if Hillary was our President, we would not have lost so many lives to Covid and we would have had a more normal way of life by now.

by Anonymousreply 47October 3, 2020 2:08 PM

I don’t have cable and completely missed hearing about this but Holly Hunter as Sally Yates has to be the most perfect casting ever. All the while Yates was testifying before Congress yonks ago, I was trying to think who she reminded me of.

Not sure if I have the stomach to watch this though.

by Anonymousreply 48October 3, 2020 2:13 PM

I find it a little boring, but maybe because I just lived through this. And, I already assumed that Trump is an abomination.

by Anonymousreply 49October 5, 2020 2:15 AM

Too bad there was no happy ending.

by Anonymousreply 50October 5, 2020 3:48 PM

Gleeson was amazing as Trump. The second part is almost horror when he's menacing around being the Orange Turd.

by Anonymousreply 51October 5, 2020 3:55 PM

thx comey for handin the presidency to trump with ur untimely announcement re hillary.....

HOW DARE U

by Anonymousreply 52October 5, 2020 4:50 PM

They made Trump too well-spoken.

by Anonymousreply 53October 5, 2020 6:00 PM

Kudos to Showtime.

by Anonymousreply 54October 5, 2020 11:36 PM

"The Comey Rule" is a pathetic attempt to portray Comey as a victim, that's BULL-SHIT. Comey threw Hillary & the whole country under the bus, then , after the election, "Whoopsie, nothing to see here!". What these repub turds fail to see is that Trump loves fucking over people, even people who are on his side. Comey would have his tongue firmly planted in Trump's asshole if he hadn't got canned.

by Anonymousreply 55October 5, 2020 11:52 PM

R51 I agree. I was going to give up after the weak sauce of episode 1. Such weak writing and performances. But Gleason dials it way up and seems to get at a real horror that is Trump. I don't think the show completely paints Comey as a victim though it does, sometimes. Plenty of times people say and show - "Comey don't be such a sanctimonious showboater". Also Daniels is too old and pudgy. Comey is 59 to Daniels 65 but Comey has an operator and "shark" quality that Daniels can't portray.

by Anonymousreply 56October 22, 2020 9:54 AM

[quote]—I hope Comey's cancer returns, with a vengeance

On it.

by Anonymousreply 57October 22, 2020 10:37 AM

comey u fugly turd u gave the prezidency to trump with ur 'i gotta save my dept' speech rite fore the election.

HOW DO U SLEEP AT NITE?????

by Anonymousreply 58October 22, 2020 10:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!