Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Here's Sarah Paulson as Mildred Ratched.

Here’s your first look at Sarah Paulson as Mildred Ratched in Ryan Murphy‘s Ratched!

The show is a prequel of sorts to the iconic One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest villainess.

Here’s a synopsis: Ratched is a suspenseful drama series that tells the origin story of asylum nurse Mildred Ratched. In 1947, Mildred arrives in Northern California to seek employment at a leading psychiatric hospital where new and unsettling experiments have begun on the human mind. On a clandestine mission, Mildred presents herself as the perfect image of what a dedicated nurse should be, but the wheels are always turning and as she begins to infiltrate the mental health care system and those within it, Mildred’s stylish exterior belies a growing darkness that has long been smoldering within, revealing that true monsters are made, not born.

The cast also includes Cynthia Nixon as Gwendolyn Briggs, Judy Davis as Nurse Betsy Bucket, Sharon Stone as Lenore Osgood, Jon Jon Briones as Dr. Richard Hanover, Finn Wittrock as Edmund Tolleson, Charlie Carver as Huck, Alice Englert as Dolly, Amanda Plummer as Louise, Corey Stoll as Charles Wainwright, Sophie Okonedo as Charlotte and Vincent D’Onofrio as Gov. George Wilburn.

All eight episodes will premiere on Netflix on September 18.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194November 26, 2020 1:09 AM

Some things just scream to be NOT watched......things like this......

by Anonymousreply 1July 29, 2020 3:38 PM

She looks like the Kristen Wiig parody of Sarah Paulson there.

by Anonymousreply 2July 29, 2020 3:38 PM

How could a mental health nurse afford a high fashion ochre outfit, and why would she wear it?

by Anonymousreply 3July 29, 2020 3:40 PM

I'll watch it just because of the cast: Corey Stoll, Judy Davis, Sharon Stone.

I wonder why Murphy switched the locale from Oregon to California.

by Anonymousreply 4July 29, 2020 3:43 PM

What is his obsession with using her for everything?

by Anonymousreply 5July 29, 2020 3:45 PM

Sounds interesting, but I've never once asked myself how Nurse Ratched became such a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 6July 29, 2020 3:48 PM

Brandon Flynn will be in this, too.

by Anonymousreply 7July 29, 2020 3:50 PM

Cynthia Nixon was so awkward and plain looking when she was younger, but now she's older she's grown into it more, and her looks are just right for American period pieces. She must be God's gift to casting directors.

by Anonymousreply 8July 29, 2020 3:55 PM

Really a prequel for a supporting character? I guess we are officially out of story ideas.

by Anonymousreply 9July 29, 2020 4:27 PM

I must say that Ryan Murphy does manage to get terrific actors to be in his shows. This one is an embarrassment of riches.

by Anonymousreply 10July 29, 2020 4:55 PM

Ryan Murphy is such a drag queen.

SO sick of his schtick.

by Anonymousreply 11July 29, 2020 4:59 PM

I had thought this might actually be a good project in Murphy’s hands but it looks like he’s succumbed to his worst instincts: garish Hollywood Regency sets, unnecessary couture, twee affectations (“Let’s give Sharon a little monkey! And it will wear dresses!”)

I really hope this Netflix output deal Shumachers him - campifies his reputation permanently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 29, 2020 9:22 PM

R10, I think some of these actors think signing on with a Ryan Murphy project will be their career renaissance of sorts like AHS did for Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson, and so on...

by Anonymousreply 13July 29, 2020 9:36 PM

This sounds similar to Castle Rock, season 2 (Annie Wilkes pre-Misery).

I hope Charlie Carver shows his lovely ass. More would be even better.

by Anonymousreply 14July 29, 2020 9:38 PM

Well, that link was as much of this as I intend to consume.

by Anonymousreply 15July 29, 2020 9:40 PM

Gah! That's an awful, ill-fitting wig in OP's photo.

Bleccch!!!

by Anonymousreply 16July 29, 2020 9:41 PM

R8, she's about ready to star in a Todd Haynes picture.

by Anonymousreply 17July 29, 2020 9:41 PM

What a truly bizarre looking show. Certainly feels like nothing remotely close in tone with the original film. I'm curious to see where this could go. Sharon Stone looks fucking amazing, though.

by Anonymousreply 18July 29, 2020 9:43 PM

Where's the enormous tits? In the book she had gigantic tits.

by Anonymousreply 19July 29, 2020 9:43 PM

Book Schmook, this is a RYAN MURPHY Production!

by Anonymousreply 20July 29, 2020 9:44 PM

I don't think a backstory on Nurse Ratched is really necessary. And from the photos it is very "old Hollywood glamour" which is inappropriate for this particular story.

by Anonymousreply 21July 29, 2020 9:47 PM

So many questions.

Did he even read the book the film is based on?

Did they have to secure rights at all from 'Cuckoo's Nest' author Ken Kesey's estate?

Does Kesey even have an estate manager, or does Murphy swoop around until a property/rights become available (see also, deHavilland, Olivia).

Is Kesey spinning in his grave at 45RPM, 78RPM or higher?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 29, 2020 9:50 PM

All of Ryan's netflix shows have flopped. I wonder if netflix regrets giving him all that money.

by Anonymousreply 23July 29, 2020 9:50 PM

I don't think she was that complicated. Nurses are just dumb, fat bitches who didn't want to work a cash register.

by Anonymousreply 24July 29, 2020 9:52 PM

[quote] I think some of these actors think signing on with a Ryan Murphy project will be their career renaissance of sorts like AHS did for Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson, and so on...

He's sniffing around Helen Lawson for his next project.

by Anonymousreply 25July 29, 2020 9:52 PM

Obviously 🙄 he’s never been on any REAL ratched sites!

by Anonymousreply 26July 29, 2020 9:54 PM

Ratchet*

by Anonymousreply 27July 29, 2020 9:56 PM

This is such a weird premise for a show. Who asked for a Cuckoo's Nest prequel?

Nobody cares about why Ratched is a cunt. She's not supposed to be a person, she's an embodiment of authority. We don't care about her tortured upbringing because she isn't supposed to be a character, she's supposed to be a representation of every person you've ever met who has had a god complex and an inch of authority.

The "true monsters are made, not born" bullshit doesn't work with One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, but what's worse is not only does it not work, it demeans the story and the message.

by Anonymousreply 28July 29, 2020 9:57 PM

yeah...did Murphy even read the book? She wasn't psycho...she was order vs chaos....in the book McMurphy abuses her, grabs her tits and is a complete fuck, but in the age of the counter culture he was seen as a hero

by Anonymousreply 29July 29, 2020 9:57 PM

Up next for Mister Murphy:

Carrie in Kindergarten

Kerouac's Serial-Killing On the Road

Suddenly Last Summer School

Sweeney Toddler

by Anonymousreply 30July 29, 2020 10:01 PM

Louise Fletcher owned this role. She gave what could have been a one dimensional role in the hands of other actresses great depth. And her interplay with Nicholson was fantastic. The scene where she breaks poor Brad Dourif down to size managed to be both heartbreaking and chilling.

Murphy's turning into Irwin Allen with these all star miniseries vehicles. Eight episodes for this? It's like Feud, which would have made a fantastic two hour movie, but instead was pointlessly dragged out for eight episodes.

by Anonymousreply 31July 29, 2020 10:02 PM

This'll flop worse than The Politician.

by Anonymousreply 32July 29, 2020 10:12 PM

Louise Fletcher... peerless. It's perhaps not the Big Nurse of the book, which is exactly why it's so, so good. Passive aggressive, but with great style and intensity.

by Anonymousreply 33July 29, 2020 10:16 PM

R29 You'd have to be screwed up in the head to read the book or even watch the movie and come out saying Ratched is the real hero.

by Anonymousreply 34July 29, 2020 10:18 PM

There is no fucking need for this.

by Anonymousreply 35July 29, 2020 10:18 PM

Maybe we'll at least get some good male nudity out of this boring dumpster fire.

by Anonymousreply 36July 29, 2020 10:21 PM

Louise Fletcher was a horribly wooden actor in movies like Cuckoo and Exorcist II. She rightfully faded into obscurity.

by Anonymousreply 37July 29, 2020 10:32 PM

R37 You're kidding, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 29, 2020 10:41 PM

My beef with Louise Fletcher is that by being campaigned in the Lead Actress category that year for a clear supporting role, she cost Isabelle Adjani a well-deserved Oscar for The Story of Adele H. Adjani won all of the major critics prizes and would have been the youngest Best Actress Academy winner.

I think many of the actresses who turned down Nurse Ratched would have been equally as effective as Louise Fletcher, particularly Anne Bancroft.

Anyway, the character isn’t so interesting that a backstory series is necessary, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 39July 29, 2020 10:56 PM

I wish Judy Davis had the kind of career that wouldn't necessitate being in schlock like The Starter Wife (supporting Debra Messing!) or Ryan Murphy series. But a gal has to pay the bills.

I watched her recently in an Australian series called Mystery Road, where she plays the sheriff in a small Outback town investigating murders and missing people alongside a detective sent in to help. She's very good in it, but the show is just good, not stellar.

by Anonymousreply 40July 29, 2020 11:04 PM

Why is Ryan Murphy trying really hard to make this average actress happen?

by Anonymousreply 41July 29, 2020 11:15 PM

It was a fairly weak year for Best Actress:

LOUISE FLETCHER One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest

ISABELLE ADJANI The Story of Adele H.

ANN-MARGRET Tommy

GLENDA JACKSON Hedda

CAROL KANE Hester Street

Except for Cuckoo's Nest and Tommy nobody remembers the other films.

by Anonymousreply 42July 29, 2020 11:20 PM

"Nobody"? The Story of Adele H. is quite famous, and remembered quite fondly by fans of French cinema.

by Anonymousreply 43July 29, 2020 11:29 PM

If this is set in 1947 and the movie was set in 1962 surely Nurse Ratched would be much younger in this series than Sarah Paulson. Unless Sarah is going to play late20s/early 30s which is a stretch....

by Anonymousreply 44July 29, 2020 11:32 PM

No, r43. Most people have never heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 45July 29, 2020 11:33 PM

R44, if I can do it, so can Sarah!

by Anonymousreply 46July 29, 2020 11:34 PM

It's well known that Ryan pretty much just gives roles to his friends. He started out with three shows with original casts: Nip/Tuck, Glee, and American Horror Story. During the beginning of those shows he made friends with the actors on them, and thus began to throw them a bone and cast them in other stuff so that he'd have an excuse to hang out with them.

That's why Sarah Paulson keeps appearing in Murphy's stuff. He isn't trying to make her a star, he's just trying to hang out with her. The repeat actors he works with are just people he finds pleasurable on set.

That's why he never hires anybody from the Glee cast save Darren. They were all awful to work with.

by Anonymousreply 47July 29, 2020 11:34 PM

r44, the book is not set in 1962 (it was written in 1959).

by Anonymousreply 48July 29, 2020 11:36 PM

Seems like an attempt to recreate the magic of American Horror Story: Assluym.

by Anonymousreply 49July 29, 2020 11:37 PM

[quote] Most people have never heard of it.

I have. You said "nobody remembers the other films," so you are wrong.

by Anonymousreply 50July 29, 2020 11:37 PM

Looks campy and fun. And ryan sure does love to probe the psyches of sociopaths and trans girls.

Could he possibly be... both?

by Anonymousreply 51July 29, 2020 11:43 PM

r50 one old queen does not count as "everyone."

by Anonymousreply 52July 29, 2020 11:43 PM

R52, make that *at least* TWO old queens!

And I don’t think a performer should win an Oscar just because their film is the most popular. That is the kind of thinking that leads to wins like Sandra Bullock’s for The Blind Side.

In terms of the difficulty of the roles and the level of skill displayed, Adjani ran circles around Louise Fletcher’s supporting performance. The latter won because her picture was a higher viewing priority due to its presence in all of the major categories and many Academy members are too lazy to read subtitles.

by Anonymousreply 53July 30, 2020 12:04 AM

Ann Margret should've won for Tommy.

by Anonymousreply 54July 30, 2020 12:07 AM

Perfect role for her. She's a b**** in real life.

by Anonymousreply 55July 30, 2020 12:15 AM

R30 Sweeney Toddler made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 56July 30, 2020 12:36 AM

[quote]The Story of Adele H. is quite famous, and remembered quite fondly by fans of French cinema.

All ten of them.

(BTW, "Lola" was on TCM this morning.)

by Anonymousreply 57July 30, 2020 1:48 AM

Whaaat? This has nothing to do with the 1975 movie, which was completely understated. It seems like yet another excuse for Ryan to play dress up, waste money, be around hot guys (who would ignore him in real life), and disappoint us with his mediocrity.

by Anonymousreply 58July 30, 2020 2:04 AM

Yes, from the photos we're getting the 1940s glamour treatment for Nurse Ratched, of all people.

by Anonymousreply 59July 30, 2020 2:11 AM

There was a screening of The Story of Adele H. at the French Institute in NYC last fall. Theater was nearly full (granted, this was a sophisticated audience with an interest in cinema as an art form).

Is it as well known as Cuckoo’s Nest? No, of course not. But I don’t think popularity equals quality, or that Louise Fletcher was vital to her film’s success. Most of the actresses who turned it down would have been just as good, but it’s Nicholson’s picture.

by Anonymousreply 60July 30, 2020 2:12 AM

Ryan M is drunk with power. They gave him the keys to the kingdom and he’s going to rip it up. I love it, I won’t miss a minute.

by Anonymousreply 61July 30, 2020 2:13 AM

I'm more interested in his take on The Prom. That seems right in his wheelhouse. Wasn't that supposed to come out in the fall as well? And The Boys in the Band? That cast was great on Broadway, so it'd take some work to mess that one up, too.

by Anonymousreply 62July 30, 2020 2:14 AM

Jesus Christ, now we have an "Isabelle Adjani should have won the 1975 Oscar!" troll.

This is why I love/hate Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 63July 30, 2020 2:19 AM

Colorful campy period piece with male eye candy starring Sarah Paulson. This has been done so many times that it's become its own genre.

by Anonymousreply 64July 30, 2020 2:28 AM

R62 It was shit.

by Anonymousreply 65July 30, 2020 2:29 AM

Why can’t he do a biopic of Joan Fontaine and Olivia DeHavilland with Meryl Streep and Miranda Otto? That would be fun but no, he has to do the full on shenanigans with Sarah. Sigh

The Prom just finished (?) shooting. They only had 3 days to wrap when Covid-19 hit. Hoping for the best with that because of cast which is not his usual players.

by Anonymousreply 66July 30, 2020 2:30 AM

How many more flops before Netflix pays Murphy to go away?

by Anonymousreply 67July 30, 2020 2:33 AM

Is there a season three of The Politician? Will all the Emmy noms presume Hollywood is assured a second.

by Anonymousreply 68July 30, 2020 2:37 AM

I saw the Boys In the Band and it was kind of shit.

by Anonymousreply 69July 30, 2020 3:00 AM

I agree with the poster who said that Bette and Joan should've been a two-hour movie and not a limited series. That's a common problem these days, many times a movie would be much better than a limited series, the story is stretched too thin and there's lots of unnecessary filler. The recent "The Outsider" on HBO is another example.

by Anonymousreply 70July 30, 2020 3:03 AM

I haven't been impressed with The Politician or Hollywood, I hope this one will be better.

by Anonymousreply 71July 30, 2020 3:09 AM

[quote] Really a prequel for a supporting character? I guess we are officially out of story ideas.

If done right it can be amazing. One of my favorite conceits in all of cinema is “Hard 8,” aka “Sidney,” an entire movie built around a minor character in the movie “Midnight Run.”

This I’m suspecting won’t be done right.

by Anonymousreply 72July 30, 2020 3:15 AM

(R71) I agree. They look good, they have good actors in them. But they're just boring. I was really excited for Hollywood. What a let-down. I think he's just cranking them out too quick.

by Anonymousreply 73July 30, 2020 3:20 AM

Hollywood sucked because it was a show about sex that had literally one nude scene in it. If they'd added in more nude scenes, more graphic sex scenes, actually DONE something with the male eye candy in that show considering the whole fucking plot revolves around male hookers, then maybe it would have been good. Or at least decent.

But alas, we got nothing. And as a result Hollywood was impossible to sit through and will be soon forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 74July 30, 2020 3:23 AM

I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it.

by Anonymousreply 75July 30, 2020 3:31 AM

What next? A series where it's explored why Norman Bates became the psycho that he is....

by Anonymousreply 76July 30, 2020 3:34 AM

I have acted in the play twice, (everyone forgets the play, Hi Kirk). It is really nice to play. Well written, and very human.

I agree with people above, who cares how the monster is made, in this case. Ratshit is a symbol of the system, baby.

by Anonymousreply 77July 30, 2020 4:27 AM

[quote] one old queen does not count as "everyone."

You are now are saying I said "everyone" when I clearly said nothing of the kind.

You must be retarded.

by Anonymousreply 78July 30, 2020 4:34 AM

Why would anyone ever put Sarah Paulson on tv?

by Anonymousreply 79July 30, 2020 4:35 AM

Why do I dislike Sarah Paulson so much??

by Anonymousreply 80July 30, 2020 6:58 AM

^ Because of her annoying sibilant S'ssss. Her mouth is lazy and distracting, with her obvious speech impediment.

by Anonymousreply 81July 30, 2020 7:29 AM

Is Paulson's head really shaped that way? Really???

by Anonymousreply 82July 30, 2020 12:43 PM

Paulson is big with younger lesbians. They see her as a role model of sorts.

by Anonymousreply 83July 30, 2020 4:57 PM

We better see pepper!

by Anonymousreply 84July 30, 2020 5:30 PM

Paulson has sure parlayed total mediocrity into a booming career. She's everywhere. Or, was, pre-covid.

Wonder how much longer she'll last with Miss Daisy.

by Anonymousreply 85July 30, 2020 8:29 PM

Is she related to James VDB? Look at that five head!

by Anonymousreply 86July 30, 2020 8:36 PM

[quote] Whaaat? This has nothing to do with the 1975 movie, which was completely understated.

It's not even clear to me that he's having this mini-series have anything necessarily to do with the movie. Why should he? The book is a American classic novel and is the original source for the Nurse Ratched character. The movie is not.

by Anonymousreply 87July 30, 2020 8:50 PM

More Netflix Murphy (from Playbill.com dated 9/4/19):

[quote] 10-Part A Chorus Line Netflix Series in the Works From Ryan Murphy

[quote] The limited series will expand the 1975 Tony- and Pulitzer-winning musical.

by Anonymousreply 88July 30, 2020 8:59 PM

That's exciting! I hope an entire episode is devoted to Morales and Mr. Karp being cunty back and forth to each other.

by Anonymousreply 89July 30, 2020 9:39 PM

Turning 'A Chorus Line' into a TV series? Pure blasphemy. 'Smash' already did Broadway on a great TV series.

by Anonymousreply 90July 30, 2020 10:41 PM

[quote] Turning 'A Chorus Line' into a TV series? Pure blasphemy.

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 91July 30, 2020 11:02 PM

I wonder if A Chorus Line will be set in the 70s. I can't really see it working as a modern story.

by Anonymousreply 92July 30, 2020 11:43 PM

Murphy, on why he wants to do A Chorus Line series (Collider, April 28, 2020)-

[quote] It was my favorite musical growing up. And I think the movie version, everybody kind of agrees that it was disappointing at best. And Michael Bennett, who’s always been somebody that I was obsessed with from a very early age, and the thing that I loved about Michael Bennett was he was able to be who he was, and was a fighter and scrappy and took no prisoners. And so this 10-part miniseries will be a tribute really to him and my love of him. And also, everybody involved in it.

[quote] I’ve just now putting the final touches on all the deal points, but I hope to be able to start writing it pretty soon because I’ve never had a piece of material where more actors have come up to me and said, “I really want to be in this. I really want to be in this.” I think there’s an excitement for that music that we all grew up with and I’m excited to hopefully be able to start doing it soon.

by Anonymousreply 93July 30, 2020 11:54 PM

A Chorus Line wouldn't work as a modern story because of how diverse it is. People wouldn't pity non-black minorities and their problems. Characters like Connie and Paul would be seen as privileged pieces of shit worthy of cancellation.

by Anonymousreply 94July 31, 2020 12:46 AM

I was very young when I saw the movie and can only vaguely remember it, but wasn't there a gay dancer who was ashamed to be gay?

by Anonymousreply 95July 31, 2020 1:02 AM

R95, that was Billy Elliot.

by Anonymousreply 96July 31, 2020 1:04 AM

Someone needs to rein in Murphy. Plus all his shows look alike.

by Anonymousreply 97July 31, 2020 1:58 AM

^ Indeed. Over designed and empty.

by Anonymousreply 98July 31, 2020 2:59 AM

"It was my favorite musical growing up."

'So I'm going to rape the text with my usual inconsistent story lines, over-done acting by my pet thespians, and drag a two-hour story out to 8 to 10 hours, because I am bankrupt of new ideas.'

by Anonymousreply 99July 31, 2020 4:00 AM

Good observation, R86.

Imagine if they hooked up and spawned a few. Eeeeessssh.

by Anonymousreply 100July 31, 2020 1:19 PM

These back stories seem so lazy and ultimately disappointing. I don’t need to know the story behind Michael Myers or Nurse Ratched. Sometimes mystery and no explanation are compelling enough.

by Anonymousreply 101July 31, 2020 5:16 PM

The problem with all of these types of series is that they assume we as an audience need an explanation for why our villains are evil. We don't need to know why they're evil, evil is much scarier when the origins of it are unknown. And besides, sometimes people are just bad. Not every villain needs an origin story to explain how they got there, sometimes people are just assholes for no reason.

by Anonymousreply 102July 31, 2020 5:56 PM

R100 it would have to be a Caesarean...no way could a child they make be born via natural childbirth.

by Anonymousreply 103July 31, 2020 6:06 PM

I hate the "let's explain why evil people are evil" trend. You see it everywhere now and seemed to really kick off with those horror remakes like Halloween and Black Christmas that devoted huge chunks of the films to showing their villains as children and how tough they had it. What's the purpose of this? It's hard to feel bad for the victims when you feel worse for the villain and it throws everything out of whack.

Next, we'll hear someone is developing a project called Margaret - an 8 part miniseries about why the mom from Carrie turned into such a psychotic, uptight shrew. If only her little bastard child would behave, she wouldn't have to lock her in the closet every day after school.

by Anonymousreply 104July 31, 2020 7:36 PM

She does have a funny looking head.

by Anonymousreply 105July 31, 2020 7:46 PM

Evil needs to be mansplained and coddled.

See, also, Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 106July 31, 2020 7:48 PM

The first two episodes will be good. And all the rest will be crap. Just like with the rest of the shows.

by Anonymousreply 107August 1, 2020 3:37 AM

R104 They already kind of did that with Margaret in the original Carrie novel. She was raped by Carrie's father who abandoned her before Carrie was born. It's why Margaret turned to religion and why she hates Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 108August 1, 2020 5:00 AM

But that's not enough these days, R108. We need a full series. I heard an acquaintance of mine talk about how great a Carrie miniseries would be and how they could finally get everything in from the book when that TV movie version from '02 pretty much did that in about 2 1/2 hrs. It wasn't very good, but it was very faithful to the book. Carrie's not a very big book and it can easily be fit into a 2 hour run time. It doesn't need a 6 hour miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 109August 1, 2020 7:19 PM

Yes, there is an abundance of limited series where the story could be told in a movie instead. Of course there are some limited series that are very good and it serves the story to be done in multiple installments, but there are ohters that are just too long and have too much filler.

by Anonymousreply 110August 1, 2020 11:09 PM

"here's Miss Unnecessary starring in Irrelevant"

by Anonymousreply 111August 2, 2020 12:14 AM

nice hat, though

by Anonymousreply 112August 2, 2020 12:15 AM

It looks awful!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113August 4, 2020 4:40 PM

The way that hat is perched on her long head as if it just landed there for a second and is going to fly away again is hilarious.

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 114August 4, 2020 5:27 PM

Yep. This definitely looks like another season of American Horror Story and it appears that Ratched was always a psychotic cunt, so what's it really telling us about her?

by Anonymousreply 115August 4, 2020 5:31 PM

I wonder if Covid is delaying a season 2 announcement for Hollywood or if Netflix will pass on it. I read Murphy might want to portray a different decade in Hollywood. This show looks okay. I like style but sometimes I find Murphy's recent shows to be over stylized.

by Anonymousreply 116August 4, 2020 5:32 PM

Maybe Finn will get naked again. I find him very sexy.

by Anonymousreply 117August 4, 2020 5:34 PM

This looks weird and campy and fun. I'm in. Plus, I love all the actresses in the mix.

by Anonymousreply 118August 4, 2020 5:35 PM

R117 well he has a sex scene based on the trailer so nudity is definitely possible.

by Anonymousreply 119August 4, 2020 5:37 PM

Finn is so sexy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120August 4, 2020 5:49 PM

I do at least like the wit of having the Big Spender theme start up with the Netflix logo

by Anonymousreply 121August 4, 2020 7:48 PM

Sharon Stone and Brandon Flynn

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 4, 2020 7:49 PM

I don't know think, I'm getting really sick of Sarah. I'll probably watch because there's not much on right now. She's such a b**** in real life.

by Anonymousreply 123August 5, 2020 12:11 AM

Is this set in the 30's? So over designed is hard to tell.

by Anonymousreply 124August 5, 2020 12:16 AM

R124 I think the 40s

by Anonymousreply 125August 5, 2020 12:36 AM

Future blurb writers: no, we do NOT need this prequel, and we know it!

by Anonymousreply 126August 5, 2020 12:37 AM

Wonder if Anvilhead Paulson used her time backstage to chase Sharon Stone. Run Sharon, run!

by Anonymousreply 127August 5, 2020 1:26 AM

Holland Taylor's turned on at least...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128August 5, 2020 6:58 PM

I’m really hating it. It’s for dumb gays who will think it’s sophisticated.

by Anonymousreply 129September 22, 2020 1:14 AM

I am watching this show and it has NOTHING to do with the book and1975 film. Ratched was not a glamorous serial killer. She was a woman in charge of a rundown hospital who exercised her power over male mental patients. She was cold and distant but not a murderer. They should have just given this new character a completely different name.

by Anonymousreply 130September 22, 2020 1:37 AM

^^^We can't all be perfect like you, Louithe.

by Anonymousreply 131September 22, 2020 2:07 AM

I like the locations... photography is over the top.

Story is pointless, and huge continuity gaffes. The motel where Ratched stayed (real Lucia in Big Sur) was/is old cottages. Then there is a long hotel corridor where she and her fuckbuddy-not enter and leave. No attempt at all to make it synch. Other spatial inconsistencies in the mental hospital. Professionals these days.....

by Anonymousreply 132September 22, 2020 2:26 AM

The best was Corey Stoll telling her she was the worst lay he ever had.

There is something with Sarah ... she rarely moves her head and her face doesn’t move much. Is that Botox?

by Anonymousreply 133September 22, 2020 2:32 AM

Sarah Paulson needs to stop playing villains. She's cold, but she's not threatening. You need both to play a villain but you need one to succeed. It's this coldness with a lack of threat/intimidation that has made her great at playing spunky likable dykey protagonists in AHS, she should stick to that sort of thing.

by Anonymousreply 134September 22, 2020 3:14 AM

R107 is prescient. The first two episodes were okay. The third episode is just ridiculous. I'm done.

The "peach" scene was fun.

by Anonymousreply 135September 22, 2020 3:28 AM

Sarah

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136September 22, 2020 4:29 AM

So are we all done and wrapped up with this thread until the next season comes out? I guess binge watching cuts down on the longevity and weekly hills and valleys of postings, which I actually kind of miss.

by Anonymousreply 137September 22, 2020 4:38 PM

The Sarah and Sharon Stone scenes are awful

by Anonymousreply 138September 22, 2020 4:47 PM

R138 They seem to be the kind of gals that wouldn’t get along IRL as well. Maybe the chemistry was too antagonistic?

by Anonymousreply 139September 22, 2020 4:59 PM

Maybe a lack of chemistry? Sarah with Cynthia is much better, maybe because they are both lez

by Anonymousreply 140September 22, 2020 5:18 PM

Sharon Stone always struck me as someone who would be up for a little muff diving if the circumstances were needed.

by Anonymousreply 141September 22, 2020 5:23 PM

Agreed R102. I thought Rob Zombie's Halloween was atrocious and predictable - an abused child becomes a psychopath, what a surprise. I don't want to know why Michael Myers is a murderous psychopath and I do not think he needs to be humanized. I notice Ryan goes down the humanistic route in Ratched i.e we need to be sympathetic to a man who goes on a murder spree because of his terrible childhood. There were too many subplots in the story, which are interesting issues to ponder, but they weren't really given much time to develop. For example how gay and lesbians patients were treated in psychiatric hospitals, the death penalty, etc.

Having said that, I did enjoy it but as a standalone series, or maybe another series of AHS. I really liked the cinematography and costumes and I loved the addition of Judy Davis and Sharon Stone.

by Anonymousreply 142September 22, 2020 5:45 PM

It was a very welcome binge for me. It's no Bates Motel, but it's a decent origin story.

by Anonymousreply 143September 22, 2020 5:50 PM

Loved Davis and Stone. And Plummer is always amusing. This show must be a lesbian's dream come true. So many bold women.

by Anonymousreply 144September 22, 2020 5:54 PM

I always thought that a hat should sit upon a head, not hover above it.

by Anonymousreply 145September 22, 2020 7:32 PM

I can’t believe they are doing 4 seasons

by Anonymousreply 146September 22, 2020 7:36 PM

r146

I thought they were only doing 2

by Anonymousreply 147September 22, 2020 8:07 PM

R142 I agree with you. I hated what Zombie did to Michael Myers. The thing that makes Halloween scary is that Michael has absolutely no reason for brutally murdering. No motive, no cause, no nothing. He kills at random and he kills for the sake of killing. Giving him a backstory ruined the horror.

by Anonymousreply 148September 22, 2020 8:09 PM

I saw an interview with Sarah Paulson and she said Ryan’s story arc was four seasons. It’s already been renewed for Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 149September 22, 2020 8:38 PM

r149

do you have a link about renewal? It usually takes Netflix longer than a few days to renew

by Anonymousreply 150September 22, 2020 8:52 PM

See link. Invoice is in the mail.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151September 22, 2020 8:55 PM

The puppet show re-enactments of child abuse ... Netflix paid $300 million for that kind of crap?

by Anonymousreply 152September 23, 2020 4:26 AM

R152, you ain't seen nothin' yet.....and I do mean NOTHIN'!

by Anonymousreply 153September 23, 2020 1:38 PM

R148. Exactly. Just leave these characters alone and create new ones! There seem to be a lot of remakes and origin stories.

I thought Ryan was developing the Monica Lewinsky scandal, he mentioned it on WWHL a couple of years ago.

by Anonymousreply 154September 23, 2020 1:56 PM

Jessica Lange also talked about playing 70s Dietrich in a Murphy project sometimes soon, too.

by Anonymousreply 155September 23, 2020 3:00 PM

I hope that awful idea gets squashed without delay, R155.

by Anonymousreply 156September 23, 2020 3:50 PM

Why, r156 ?

by Anonymousreply 157September 23, 2020 8:11 PM

I am up to episode 5 and so far it is all about the costumes and cars. The acting isn't bad, but the storyline is so unbelievable, especially Cynthia Nixon as a closeted lesbian married to a closeted BLACK man in 1947 it seems highly improbable. Sarah Paluson is doing just fine as Ratchet, one doesn't know if she is more psycopath or angel of mercy so far.

by Anonymousreply 158September 23, 2020 8:21 PM

Why, R157? Dietrich was famously thin her entire life. That slim silhouette is part and parcel of the Marlene Dietrich persona. Jessica Lange was too corpulent to play Joan Crawford. And she's too corpulent to play Dietrich.

In any event, Sian Phillips already did Dietrich and no one is likely to do it better. Tilda Swinton, maybe. If she really wanted to take it on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159September 23, 2020 9:59 PM

Please, no more failed portraits of bigger stars by same same Jessica.

by Anonymousreply 160September 23, 2020 10:38 PM

Harriet Harris gives a wonderful performance as an aging lesbian and inmate in Dr. Hanover's creepy mental institution. She really deserves an Emmy nomination for this. This performance is terrific. Especially her work in Episode 4.

by Anonymousreply 161September 24, 2020 2:28 AM

Before I watch every new Ryan Murphy project I go on to AZNudeMen to see how much male nudity is in it. If it's any less than three different nude men then I skip it. Murphy is nothing without excessive man candy, his snoozefests aren't worth the time without graphic male nudity.

by Anonymousreply 162September 24, 2020 2:31 AM

It’s a little hard to get steamed up over Sarah and Cynthia. How did Ratched dispose of a body in a hotel room? Or did she just leave it for the maid?

by Anonymousreply 163September 24, 2020 2:35 AM

Saw this, not impressed. Very nice costumes and set

by Anonymousreply 164September 24, 2020 2:43 AM

[quote] Harriet Harris gives a wonderful performance as an aging lesbian and inmate in Dr. Hanover's creepy mental institution.

Did you guys know that her young girlfriend in this is Glenn Close's daughter, Annie Starke ? One step closer to Glenn, Ryan !

by Anonymousreply 165September 24, 2020 6:35 AM

Watched the first episode, it will be my last.

by Anonymousreply 166September 24, 2020 6:59 AM

Cynthia is a younger version of Sue Cunt Sarandon, I mean that as a cunty person. Watch how she grows as she will say shit that will destroy the Democrat Party just like Sue Cunt did.

by Anonymousreply 167September 24, 2020 12:01 PM

Cynthia Nixon is not a cunt, R167. She is a really lovely person. But you have revealed yourself to be a Five Star Asshole. Susan Sarandon, on her strongest day, has never been remotely capable of destroying the Democratic Party.

And get this straight. The name is "Democratic Party." Not Democrat Party. Take that back to your Republic Party and share it with your partners in crime there, mutherfucker.

Have a blessed day!

by Anonymousreply 168September 24, 2020 1:15 PM

I finished it and give it a C+. Like most of Murphy’s work, it falls apart after a few episodes. And Sarah... she is a great clown but not very good at projecting menace. Judy Davis was MVP. The ending was like a sitcom. Finn Wittrock is a good actor. I hope he breaks free of Ryan Murphy.

by Anonymousreply 169September 25, 2020 4:09 AM

It has been a long, long, time since I've seen a man on screen as sexy as Corey Stoll. The man oozes sex.

by Anonymousreply 170September 25, 2020 4:13 AM

I kind of feel bad for Corey Stoll. Going from House Of Cards to this must be depressing.

by Anonymousreply 171September 25, 2020 7:42 AM

Corey was the best thing about this show. Pity they killed him off so early. Such a sexy handsome man with such a sexy deep voice. The lack of hot men on this show really hampers its enjoyability. And no, Finn is not that good looking. Decent bod, butterface... Same goes for the deformed Carver twin.

by Anonymousreply 172September 25, 2020 8:56 AM

Mildred's rolled hairstyle is detailed and complex. Who helps her execute it so perfectly each morning in the fleabag motel?

by Anonymousreply 173September 26, 2020 1:57 AM

God it's soo bad, why would Nixons character think Paulson was a lesbian

by Anonymousreply 174September 26, 2020 1:59 AM

Clearly, I'm in the minority: I actually really enjoyed it and thought it was campy fun!

Sharon Stone was fabulous, and I agree with the poster above who named Judy Davis the series MVP. And the sets and costumes were stunning. Yes, its ending left something to be desired -- I would have preferred a one-and-done limited series -- but overall it delivered exactly what I thought it would.

Ryan Murphy needs to add Stone, Davis and Sophie Okenedo (who was also ridiculous-but-great) to his de-facto acting company. Amanda Plummer, too, but in small doses.

by Anonymousreply 175September 26, 2020 3:36 PM

I loved it too, and thought Paulson was really better than usual in this.

by Anonymousreply 176September 26, 2020 6:43 PM

Murphy said the lead actors he hired for "Hollywood" were going to have full-frontal scenes. There were plenty of opportunities there, but it didn't happen.

I heard Finn Wittrock was going to have a full-frontal scene in "Ratched". Nope.

Murphy is a prick tease, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 177September 29, 2020 3:07 AM

I don't get why he doesn't deliver on the nudity front. He's on Netflix now, not FX, so he isn't limited by the restrictions of normal television. The actors he hires seem more than willing to get their clothes off, which is WHY he hires people like Gus Kenworthy and the Carver twins. So what gives? If you were a gay man who had the power to fill television with gratuitous male nudity, why wouldn't you do it?

by Anonymousreply 178September 29, 2020 3:19 AM

Because nobody want to see that shit outside of porn ? Only perverts whine about the lack of nudity on tv. Go jerk off for the 5th time today somewhere, pathetic animals.

by Anonymousreply 179September 29, 2020 2:18 PM

Is the straight Carver twin regretting not being Gay to get work?

by Anonymousreply 180September 29, 2020 2:20 PM

R179 Not everyone struggles with erectile dysfunction, dear. I know that you have to pop at least 12 viagra a day to even feel a tingle down there, but some of us are still capable of having blood rush to our nether regions. Those of us that don't have to blow the dust and cobwebs off our cock every time we jerk off do enjoy a little eye candy when sitting through a Ryan Murphy show.

by Anonymousreply 181September 29, 2020 2:21 PM

Is this the main Ratched thread?

The puppet show device is just too insane an overdetermined.

by Anonymousreply 182October 8, 2020 5:18 PM

The characters all have personality changes about three-quarters of the way through. Like they were normal people all along.

by Anonymousreply 183October 9, 2020 12:39 AM

Qweerty says-

[quote] Netflix announced this weekend that a whopping 48 million viewers streamed Ratched in its first 28 days of release. That makes it the biggest hit of the year (thus far) for the streaming giant. (How it did bigger numbers than Tiger King, we have no idea…)

[quote] “In its first 28 days, 48 million members have booked an appointment with Nurse Ratched, making it our biggest original Season 1 of the year,” Netflix tweeted Friday.

r23:

[quote] All of Ryan's netflix shows have flopped. I wonder if netflix regrets giving him all that money.

Guess not.

by Anonymousreply 184October 20, 2020 12:24 AM

Is this the main Ratchet thread?

I kind of liked it. Like a roller coaster ride.

However, it is a very long drive from Lucia to San Francisco or Sacramento. An aide to the governor could not live in Lucia, nor could the governor pop in to the hospital very often.

Not sure why they called it a “state hospital” when it was obviously a luxurious private hospital. I suppose they had to justify why the killer would be sent there for evaluation, and why the governor had leverage over the shrink, but surely they have shrinks in Sacramento, and it turns out the hospital is mostly privately funded, so calling it a state hospital doesn’t really solve the plot problems.

by Anonymousreply 185November 25, 2020 6:06 PM

Why is he as a gay man so obsessed with lesbians? Or is it because movies and tv shows with lesbian content are very popular these days cause of all the queer teens and 20something year old girls on social media?

by Anonymousreply 186November 25, 2020 6:45 PM

R140 Aren't they both bi?

by Anonymousreply 187November 25, 2020 6:47 PM

R123 How is Sarah bitch in real life?

by Anonymousreply 188November 25, 2020 6:47 PM

R186 He’s obsessed with Sarah not lesbians, yeah?

by Anonymousreply 189November 25, 2020 6:52 PM

R186 But every of his shows has lesbians in it

by Anonymousreply 190November 25, 2020 6:56 PM

R186 Lesbians have always been overly represented in the media, but there is a new trend in it as the younger lesbian base is getting more vocal and bitchy about wanting representation. Netflix has figured out that it can profit off of that and is smartly taking advantage of shoving lesbians into their shows (see: Bly Manor).

by Anonymousreply 191November 25, 2020 7:02 PM

I couldn’t watch this if you paid me. This woman just grates my nerves. She tries too hard (it seems she loves to promote who she’s friends with in the industry, especially if they are of a certain status) and I don’t find her particularly compelling to watch, nor is she all that versatile. She can emote, though, I’ll give her that.

Still, she seems too invested in being popular and sometimes, on social media, her fans come off more like PR employees than anything else. I really do wonder...

by Anonymousreply 192November 25, 2020 7:03 PM

Strange show almost Cartoonish.....you wont get passed episode 3 without wanting to do something worthwhile with your crummy life?

by Anonymousreply 193November 25, 2020 8:05 PM

I liked it. But Stone needs to do more comic work. Or darkly comic. This show slipped into weird earnestness and/or melodrama.

by Anonymousreply 194November 26, 2020 1:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!