Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

VP Kamala Harris

I guess it’s going go be Harris.

Fine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486August 6, 2020 3:02 PM

Such a polarizing choice. Phony hack, former prosecutor, unlikeable gunner.

by Anonymousreply 1July 29, 2020 12:48 PM

What a great leak-on-purpose! Look at the other notes!

by Anonymousreply 2July 29, 2020 12:53 PM

Oink oink

by Anonymousreply 3July 29, 2020 12:53 PM

R2, I’m dense. Not following. What do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 4July 29, 2020 12:54 PM

Hahahhahahahhahaha

Good LORD Democrats pick the worst of the bunch. I hated that wench in the primaries and I’m certainly NOT voting for that ticket. It’s all rigged and insider dealing. The DNC is corrupt and soulless.

by Anonymousreply 5July 29, 2020 12:56 PM

Lol I’d love this actually. She’ll smack around Pence during the debate.

by Anonymousreply 6July 29, 2020 12:57 PM

I may be imagining, but there were a few subtle hints on Joy Reid. Both Karen Bass and Kamala were guests in separate segments. Joy did her usual with Karen about being a contender for VP and Karen was her typical PC-self and ran through the list of OTHER black women under consideration with VERY strong emphasis and a bit of a wink when stating Kamala Harris's name. And then Joy DID NOT ask Kamala a peep about her status as VP candidate - and Joy cannot help herself with that question to any black woman who's mentioned on Biden's list. Kamala looked particularly cool and at ease in her segment...not that that means much by itself...but something was up with her - relief maybe?

by Anonymousreply 7July 29, 2020 12:58 PM

Duckworth: war hero but not Black.

You think it still wouldn’t be Duckworth if she were Black?

He was pushed by the media to choose Harris.

by Anonymousreply 8July 29, 2020 12:59 PM

It’s his “secret” notes about what his plans for the DOJ and the first 100 days. He’s going to tell the truth, listen to the scientist, unite, rebuild, etc.

by Anonymousreply 9July 29, 2020 1:00 PM

Biden must be a secret frau because those secret notes read like an affirmation board.

by Anonymousreply 10July 29, 2020 1:02 PM

Love her!

by Anonymousreply 11July 29, 2020 1:03 PM

There's nothing in his notes to confirm this at all. His old, long-time friend, former senator Chris Dodd, who has to be nearly 90 yrs old, was still upset because Kamala went after Joe about the busing thing, and Dodd is still bitching about it. So Joe, anticipating some media questions about Dodd's comments, was prepared to respond. Sheesh! Why does everything have to be so fraught.

If Joe Biden chooses Senator Harris as his VP, I'm going to support them enthusiastically. We need to weed out the divisive, petty, bullshit and stay focused. This is the silly season. We are going to get buried with bullshit. The lies, distortions, sniping, negative Republican crap. Their boilerplate strategy. Don't fall for it. Tune out the political bullshit and focus on getting out to vote. Do you even know who is running for state Rep or state senator in your hometown? Do you know the background of the Judicial candidates? These are the people who will decide redistricting. Some judicial candidates claim to be Non partisan. They're not. Who is running for your boards of education? Your boards of regents for state universities. Don't fall for this divisive crap. If they circulate photographs of Kamala Harris burning kittens alive I will vote for her.

by Anonymousreply 12July 29, 2020 1:03 PM

My right-wing nut job dad says "Mark my words, John Kerry is owed something BIG." He gets this from some recent Fox News coverage, apparently.

P.S. I hope it's Kamala. She's great.

by Anonymousreply 13July 29, 2020 1:04 PM

She's the best choice.

If you are unhappy with this, feel free to vote for your options.

Stupid cunts. Just vote for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 14July 29, 2020 1:05 PM

Calculated “leak”

by Anonymousreply 15July 29, 2020 1:06 PM

R5 there are no other choices. A vote NOT for Biden is a vote for Trump. Is it a sorry state of affairs? Yes. Do you CURRENTLY have a third choice? No. All votes currently only count for Biden or Trump. Don't kid yourself.

by Anonymousreply 16July 29, 2020 1:06 PM

[quote] The DNC is corrupt and soulless.

And R5 supports the candidacy of a Russian asset who cozies up to murderous autocrats!

by Anonymousreply 17July 29, 2020 1:09 PM

Bad choice, as usual. Grow a pair Joe. Make a wise choice, a choice for the country not the TV.

by Anonymousreply 18July 29, 2020 1:10 PM

Harris and Warren are the only real options here. Maybe Susan Rice.

Bernie Bros don’t like Harris because she was a prosecutor, which shows how crazy they are.

by Anonymousreply 19July 29, 2020 1:11 PM

She’s such a hack. They think the media have already vetted her. We’ll see. I think there’s plenty of dirt they haven’t yet uncovered.

by Anonymousreply 20July 29, 2020 1:15 PM

What R14 said. If you think she's worse than Trump AND Pence and Kushner and Miller and Barr and Roger Stone and Matt Gaetz and Gym Jordan and Lindsey Graham and Mitch McConnell and every other fucked up member of Trump's GOP...then GET HELP.

by Anonymousreply 21July 29, 2020 1:16 PM

If you think she’s worse than Trump, Pence, et al...you just need to be honest. You weren’t going to vote for Biden anyway.

by Anonymousreply 22July 29, 2020 1:17 PM

R21, no one’s said she’s worse. Absolutely not the case. But she’s an awful choice.

by Anonymousreply 23July 29, 2020 1:17 PM

Harris is off-putting to the Black community, as she's committed two unforgivable sins. Marrying White, and worse, Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 24July 29, 2020 1:18 PM

Please try to keep up r20 "dirt" isn't a factor in this election

by Anonymousreply 25July 29, 2020 1:19 PM

Awful choice. There’s a reason she polled at 2% and dropped out two months before Iowa. She isn’t likable at all and she’s a total phony. I STILL don’t know where she stands on anything because she talks in circles all the time.

by Anonymousreply 26July 29, 2020 1:19 PM

I’m confused as to why he had notes about her yesterday when he’s not supposed to make the announcement until next week - it doesn’t make any sense.

by Anonymousreply 27July 29, 2020 1:20 PM

Yeah, I'll say, R23.

by Anonymousreply 28July 29, 2020 1:20 PM

What sad choices we have in November.

by Anonymousreply 29July 29, 2020 1:22 PM

R29 - Go fuck yourself with a radioactive cattle prod - NOTHING IS SADDEST THAN TRUMP. END OF.

So fuck off, fat QAnon cunttroll.

by Anonymousreply 30July 29, 2020 1:24 PM

R25, "dirt" will be a factor when she runs for president in 2024. And when Josh Hawley or Tom Cotton defeats her.

She's another Hillary. Easily crafted into a villain over the tiniest things.

by Anonymousreply 31July 29, 2020 1:25 PM

Warren is a nonstarter. A Massachusetts professor in her 70s who is already virulently despised like Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 32July 29, 2020 1:27 PM

Divisive trolls here. She's fine. The Black community, outside the SJWs ( who don't vote anyway) will support her. She's absolutely as competent as Pence or the forgettable person Hillary picked. She's moderate enough. I was voting this year for Biden anyway and will do so now will a little more enthusiasm as he's exhibited political acumen here. I don't support Democrats but Trump has to go.

by Anonymousreply 33July 29, 2020 1:27 PM

I hope it is not Karen Bass. Yesterday in questioning Bill Barr, she made several references to Dylan Roof being given Burger King food after he was apprehended, implying he was given special treatment that is not afforded to blacks.

Dylan Roof was apprehended in another state, a small western North Carrolina town. He was sleeping in his parked car at the entrance to a driveway. He did not resist the.cops investigating, who initially did not know who he was. He was taken to the local station for questioning. He hadn't eaten in over a day, and brought him some Burger King food. The tiny police station doesn't have a cafeteria. He was held there until SLED agents from South Carolina came and picked him up. Police are not suppose to deny detainees food and water. Roof received the death penalty in S.C.

Bass using this incident to question Barr showed she was ill-prepared.

Harris, Demmings, Bottoms, Rice, Abrams, etc. are smarter and not as careless as Bass.

by Anonymousreply 34July 29, 2020 1:27 PM

He was stupid to commit to picking a woman. I know you’re not supposed to say this but Biden should have picked a white man. Biden is doing incredibly well with white voters and someone like Kamala could scare some of them off. I know it’s awful to say but winning is the most important thing in our lives in November. We can discuss representation later.

by Anonymousreply 35July 29, 2020 1:27 PM

No matter who Biden picks, these DL self-hating miserable queens will have something negative to say about it.

by Anonymousreply 36July 29, 2020 1:28 PM

BLM is going to destroy her. It's going to get granular on her record.

by Anonymousreply 37July 29, 2020 1:30 PM

She doesn't have a white penis, she can't help win an election!

by Anonymousreply 38July 29, 2020 1:33 PM

I'll vote for Biden. Absolutely. But in 2024, if it's a moderate Republican like Romney vs. Harris, right now, I'll probably vote for the former, especially if somehow the Supreme Court goes 5-4 liberal (enough of a buffer for another GOP administration not to go crazy fascist).

by Anonymousreply 39July 29, 2020 1:34 PM

[quote]BLM is going to destroy her. It's going to get granular on her record.

So fucking what? The world is getting annihilated and destroyed as we're speaking because of Trump. His second term will bring about the end of the world and all mankind!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 40July 29, 2020 1:34 PM

R38, I wanted Duckworth. I'm fine with a woman if it's the right woman.

by Anonymousreply 41July 29, 2020 1:35 PM

[quote]I'll vote for Biden. Absolutely. But in 2024, if it's a moderate Republican like Romney vs. Harris, right now, I'll probably vote for the former, especially if somehow the Supreme Court goes 5-4 liberal (enough of a buffer for another GOP administration not to go crazy fascist).

Such a naive fat ho. Why would any rational person give the Repugs a chance to destroy the country again? Dementia or masochism?

by Anonymousreply 42July 29, 2020 1:37 PM

Joy Reid is going to have an orgasm: she's all about a Black woman for VP, any Black woman, regardless of policy positions. Because it's all about race for her.

by Anonymousreply 43July 29, 2020 1:39 PM

R22 is spot-on.

Watch how Kellyanne then retweets every one of those "disappointed" Democrats expressing their "outrage."

by Anonymousreply 44July 29, 2020 1:40 PM

Harris has always been the most obvious choice., this would be a non-surprise.

You will have trolls that will complain no matter who he picks.

by Anonymousreply 45July 29, 2020 1:41 PM

The ungrateful schizoid media, having gotten their way with a Black woman, will soon after the announcement talk about how "problematic" Harris is given her career as a prosecutor, etc.

by Anonymousreply 46July 29, 2020 1:43 PM

R42, because I don't like affirmative action and I want to take North Korean down.

by Anonymousreply 47July 29, 2020 1:45 PM

Men like her.

by Anonymousreply 48July 29, 2020 1:49 PM

There's no such a thing as a moderate Republican. Stop deluding yourself.

by Anonymousreply 49July 29, 2020 1:56 PM

[quote]Good LORD Democrats pick the worst of the bunch. I hated that wench in the primaries and I’m certainly NOT voting for that ticket. It’s all rigged and insider dealing. The DNC is corrupt and soulless.

What is it Sweetie, that's she's black or a woman? Kamala Harris could kick your ass while eating breakfast. Ever watch her work?

by Anonymousreply 50July 29, 2020 1:57 PM

R48, which men? Gay white guys in cities? Ok. Well, at least they can make political contributions.

Working white guys, like those in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota DO NOT like her. At all. They find her officious, nasal voice and dismissive eye-rolls annoying AF. They don't like cosmopolitan women who live in Brentwood and wear rainbow-sequined jackets for Pride and talk about pronouns.

Even if they're ok with Biden, they'll show up on election day and vote for Cheeto just to vote against her becoming VP. As they would for Warren.

by Anonymousreply 51July 29, 2020 1:57 PM

I wish he'd pick a real black woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 29, 2020 1:59 PM

Biden could pick an opened can of Pepsi as his VP and I will enthusiastically vote for that ticket, donate and even slap a Biden Pepsi bumpersticker on my car. I'll admit though Harris is not my first choice for VP - not exactly sure if these "notes" are an indication she will be. I actually would like to see her announced as the AG appointee to rip Barr to shreds.

by Anonymousreply 53July 29, 2020 1:59 PM

Where's the "Kamala has skeletons and slept with her boss Willie Brown" troll?

by Anonymousreply 54July 29, 2020 2:04 PM

Yes I will be voting democrat no matter what. But I’m a little disappointed. Not a Harris fan. Had bad experiences with the Cal Attorney General’s office when she was in charge, but good experiences with Jerry Brown’s management as well as Xavier Becerra’s.

by Anonymousreply 55July 29, 2020 2:06 PM

If Biden wins, Harris will then be president within 2 years because he will resign/be forced out due to his dementia.

by Anonymousreply 56July 29, 2020 2:08 PM

Bernie troll/R56, that angle doesn't work. Do Tara now. Because that'll stick.

by Anonymousreply 57July 29, 2020 2:09 PM

She's not black, R50, except for her in absentia sperm donor. She's raised by her Indian family in French Canada.

by Anonymousreply 58July 29, 2020 2:10 PM

Duckworth would have been a better choice as a veteran, person of color from the midwest. As a coastal elite Kamala is unrelatable to swing state voters and has alienated some black voters with her prosecutorial record

by Anonymousreply 59July 29, 2020 2:12 PM

[quote] Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), who has been seen as the front-runner, has been working the phones behind the scenes to underscore her desire to get the job, sources say, even as she has played it cool in front of television cameras.

The Hill - VP hopefuls jockey for position as Biden's final decision nears

BY AMIE PARNES - 07/29/20 06:00 AM EDT

by Anonymousreply 60July 29, 2020 2:16 PM

It could be interpreted another way.

He could be paving the way for a let down.

He could be positioning himself for as "As I just said Monday, I have great respect for her"

It's interesting that immediately following the Kamala talking points come the Department of Justice talking points.

And then at the bottom are the VP talking points.

I think it probably does point to her as the choice but even in talking points not entirely sure why he'd be singing the praises now. She's largely expected and well established. She doesn't need pre-sale. I think it's 60-40... 60 she's likely the choice... 40 it's a let down strategy. Particularly after the Politico story. They may be trying to soothe her supporters.

I just revised to 50 50.

by Anonymousreply 61July 29, 2020 2:16 PM

Kamala is not my choice, but I'm fine with it if she's the one. But did any of you notice Joe's handwriting. Such great penmanship.

by Anonymousreply 62July 29, 2020 2:17 PM

I could live with her too, but I'll bet money she's a sideshow stoking her own ambition and that will work against her, not for her. There will be a nomination battle in 24 and she will be far from guaranteed to emerge the winner if she becomes the I Was That Little Girl show.

by Anonymousreply 63July 29, 2020 2:18 PM

[quote] because I don't like affirmative action

Of all of the stupid things I've heard from white trash whether from disgusting supposed Dems like you or outright Republican cockroaches is "affirm. action."

Have you seen what the GOP nominates and/or elects? WTF are their qualifications that so impress you that you never mention "affirmative action" in the case of genuinely stupid, ignorant unqualified white men and women being nominated on THAT side?

by Anonymousreply 64July 29, 2020 2:19 PM

Won't happen, but I wish all at once he'd say:

AG: Harris

Secretary of State: Rice

VP: Duckworth

1st Supreme Court nominee: Black woman (he already said this one)

The media's heads will still explode because of the VP pick not being a Black woman, but whatever.

by Anonymousreply 65July 29, 2020 2:20 PM

I just felt so disgusted when the day after the debate she was selling “I Was That Little Girl” t shirts on her website. Making money off of the bussing scandal. Classy

by Anonymousreply 66July 29, 2020 2:20 PM

She'd be in a stronger position to run for the nomination in 2024 if she was in Cabinet but not Veep.

by Anonymousreply 67July 29, 2020 2:21 PM

Oh God if he promised to nominate Anita Hill to the Supreme Court that would be amazing

by Anonymousreply 68July 29, 2020 2:21 PM

R64, moron, I mean that a GOP president would use his administrative power to decrease the degree to which affirmative action is implemented by organizations that receive federal money, and may nominate a justice who's against affirmative action.

You're the one who linked a Black woman as VP to affirmative action. Shame on you.

by Anonymousreply 69July 29, 2020 2:22 PM

R54, it is still early in LA, so James Woods is still asleep. Once he awakens he'll continue with that line of attack.

by Anonymousreply 70July 29, 2020 2:22 PM

R68 would be fucking epic.

AWK-WARD.

by Anonymousreply 71July 29, 2020 2:23 PM

R61, more from you please. I like your analysis. You see angles others don't.

by Anonymousreply 72July 29, 2020 2:24 PM

Dims obviously hate their voters. we have been told the last 4 years that getting out tRUMP is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING, and they run a potted plant and Koppala.

by Anonymousreply 73July 29, 2020 2:29 PM

Au Contraire! This means he's not picking Kamala. He only had her on his notes because of Politico Chris Dodd story.

Brits! Get thee to the bookie's ASAP and put a few quid on Liz Warren and Susan Rice. You'll need the money for the upcoming financial crash egged by the second coronavirus wave.

by Anonymousreply 74July 29, 2020 2:31 PM

[quote]if he promised to nominate Anita Hill to the Supreme Court

For Clarence Thomas's seat.

by Anonymousreply 75July 29, 2020 2:31 PM

No, r75. They should be on the bench together.

by Anonymousreply 76July 29, 2020 2:34 PM

Val Demings' name has cooled in the last couple of weeks. I wonder if they found something unsavory in the last vetting process. She's still my number one. Even though this is not a woman, I've really sparked to Hakeem Jeffries. I hope we see more from him in the future.

by Anonymousreply 77July 29, 2020 2:36 PM

R72... before somebody trolldars me, full disclosure: I do not feel Harris is right for President at this time because I never really got a sense of why she wanted the job, other than to have the job. I have posted against her consistently, while certainly acknowledging her intelligence and prospects for the future. But I've been stalked by a few Kamalastans so I thought I better disclose that before they did. I really think Biden is the right man for the job at this particular time (if no Trump I would have backed someone else but not sure who... I always was drawn to Biden's innate decency and love the authenticity of his whacky rough edges. )

And I have nothing to much to add. With any other candidate I'd say Joe letting his notes be photographed was on purpose. But Joe could have just fucked it up, bless him. However, if it was on purpose, it was very possibly a way to start paving the way to the let down because there's another choice. I do think the sequence is fascinating. I think for many of the reasons so many caftaners around here would drink her bathwater she would be the best possible choice for Attorney General.

That said, I think it's barely slightly more likely than not that it's Harris. The problem is she doesn't generate much excitement. She's expected. So what else does media say except long rumoured, Harris is a pair of safe hands. You could make that argument about all of them, though. The other thing is, while a visible minority, with her power suits and ultra style and incisive, commanding interrogation skills, does Kamala Harris resonate particularly powerfully with the black community? That said, if there's loyalty there, Biden already commands it anyway. There is an expectation and narrative the pick will be a black woman, so he's got to deliver against that or the Republicans have a great angle to run with: he said he would and then he didn't, Joe Biden turned his back on the African American community. So it's Rice, Demings, Bass or Harris and I'm back to just slightly probably Harris.

by Anonymousreply 78July 29, 2020 2:36 PM

One other reason I don't like Harris now: she staffed a lousy campaign. Too insular. Presumably not enough dissenting voices. That says something about her strategic style that didn't give me confidence in her candidacy at this time. I do think she has a lot to offer in the longer term.

by Anonymousreply 79July 29, 2020 2:39 PM

R77, it was the Politico piece last week. Torpedoed her.

by Anonymousreply 80July 29, 2020 2:40 PM

[quote]I wonder if they found something unsavory in the last vetting process.

A stash of her leftover wigs.

by Anonymousreply 81July 29, 2020 2:41 PM

I just think Harris is so unrelatable to most voters. She married late in life, never had kids, doesnt really resonate with black voters, is from California. She isn’t particularly charming or likeable either

by Anonymousreply 82July 29, 2020 2:41 PM

"Biden could pick an opened can of Pepsi as his VP and I will enthusiastically vote for that ticket"

Well you're just stupid. No one is voting "enthusiastically" for Biden. Yeah Ill vote for him, but I'm certainly not thrilled about it.

by Anonymousreply 83July 29, 2020 2:52 PM

[quote]but I'm certainly not thrilled about it.

Then you need to grow the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 84July 29, 2020 2:54 PM

[quote]BLM is going to destroy her. It's going to get granular on her record.

News flash: Most moderate voters don’t care about BLM.

by Anonymousreply 85July 29, 2020 2:56 PM

R85, news flash: it's about intraparty dynamics, dummy.

by Anonymousreply 86July 29, 2020 2:58 PM

[quote]Working white guys, like those in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota DO NOT like her. At all.

How would you possibly know?

by Anonymousreply 87July 29, 2020 2:59 PM

Co-chair makes it sound like it's not Harris. He was defensive and prickly, emphasizing data re who'll help Biden win. I bet he himself isn't pleased with Biden's selection. Listen to him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 29, 2020 2:59 PM

I’ll be voting enthusiastically for Uncle Joe!!!

by Anonymousreply 89July 29, 2020 3:01 PM

It is possible Biden will pick someone else, but nominate Harris as AG

So they can use her talents on the campaign and say "Voting for Biden, means the FIRST female Black AG in history"

by Anonymousreply 90July 29, 2020 3:02 PM

A geezer with both feet in the grave and a Jamaican/Indian woman with little public sympathy. The Dems couldn't have come up with a more ludicrous ticket.

by Anonymousreply 91July 29, 2020 3:05 PM

[quote] There's nothing in his notes to confirm this at all. His old, long-time friend, former senator Chris Dodd, who has to be nearly 90 yrs old, was still upset because Kamala went after Joe about the busing thing, and Dodd is still bitching about it. So Joe, anticipating some media questions about Dodd's comments, was prepared to respond. Sheesh! Why does everything have to be so fraught.

Dodd will be dead soon. Obama's opinion carries much more weight for Uncle Joe.

by Anonymousreply 92July 29, 2020 3:08 PM

Biden could pick anybody. and I'd still vote for him, as long as it's not a Trump.

by Anonymousreply 93July 29, 2020 3:10 PM

What’s the point of committing to selecting a woman of color as VP if the actual VP candidate isnt someone most women or black people can relate to?

by Anonymousreply 94July 29, 2020 3:10 PM

Chris Dodd’s comments was fucked up, misogynistic, and borderline racist. Fuck that old white cracker.

by Anonymousreply 95July 29, 2020 3:10 PM

[quote] Harris is off-putting to the Black community, as she's committed two unforgivable sins. Marrying White, and worse, Jewish.

Vladimir, you know nothing of 'the Black community.'

Biden/Harris has been tipped as the most formidable ticket since 2018. She exited the race so Biden could get SC. The only upset would be if he did NOT pick Harris as VP.

by Anonymousreply 96July 29, 2020 3:12 PM

[quote]Biden/Harris has been tipped as the most formidable ticket since 2018.

Where?

And she did not exit the race to give him SC. She was tanking. Come on, fantasist.

by Anonymousreply 97July 29, 2020 3:15 PM

[quote] When former Sen. Chris Dodd, a member of Joe Biden’s vice presidential search committee, recently asked Kamala Harris about her ambush on Biden in the first Democratic debate, Dodd was stunned by her response.

[quote] “She laughed and said, ‘that’s politics.’ She had no remorse,” Dodd told a longtime Biden supporter and donor, who relayed the exchange to POLITICO on condition of anonymity.

R95, that's all the article has (second-hand) quoting Dodd. What exactly was "fucked up, misogynistic, and borderline racist"?

I think you didn't read the article, but rather listened to Pod Save talk about it on Monday lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98July 29, 2020 3:15 PM

There is no perfect VP pick, there are just people that want you to think that so you become disillusioned and don't bother to vote. It won't work because the alternative is Trump continuing to destroy us all.

by Anonymousreply 99July 29, 2020 3:15 PM

[quote]She exited the race so Biden could get SC.

Why do you keep trying to push this narrative? It's just not true.

by Anonymousreply 100July 29, 2020 3:19 PM

[quote]Working white guys, like those in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota DO NOT like her. At all.

Working class white straight guys are only going to vote for a woman if she’s attractive. Out of the possible choices, that’s Harris.

by Anonymousreply 101July 29, 2020 3:23 PM

I enthusiastically support Biden.

Harris is a good choice. She's qualified and capable, and smart enough to understand the limited Veep role. She can prop Joe up with her energy, and if he keels over, she can take the reins. I also like Duckworth. She's got the woman of the people vibe going for her, and I know a few vets who loved her Cadet Bone Spurs dig on Trump. She'd make a great #2, but I prefer seeing Biden pick someone with a higher ceiling. The Senate is perfect for Duckworth, as she would require a lot of support to hold higher office. That said, I'd love to see her in front of the camera more, because she is delightful in her attacks on Trump.

But like I said at the beginning, I'm all in on Biden.

by Anonymousreply 102July 29, 2020 3:23 PM

Amen R99! No one is perfect except Jesus and according to the Constitution he isn’t eligible to run. Biden has a plethora of wonderful candidates for VP to pick amongst, all of whom I would be thrilled to support. And with the exception of Tulsi none of them are Russian traitors, sociopaths, idiots, KKK sympathizers, Nazi sympathizers or violent sexual predators. Which means that they are all far and away better than the current occupants if the White House.

by Anonymousreply 103July 29, 2020 3:26 PM

r94, he already has the black vote. She is the candidate that white women can most relate to and moderate white men who would consider a woman being 2nd to the white house could stomach.

They. Yes They said what you are saying about Barrack Obama not having the Black American experience and the black community did not want. Yet he is loved tremendously by the black community.

Kamala goes way back with Biden and worked with his son Beau. He likes her.

by Anonymousreply 104July 29, 2020 3:28 PM

[quote] And she did not exit the race to give him SC. She was tanking. Come on, fantasist.

Completely revisionist.

Harris exited before Iowa at a time when she was polling even with Warren and ahead of Pete and Amy. The DNC brokered the deal because they didn't want Bernie as nominee. Harris would have won a significant number of delegates in SC. If Biden couldn't pull a huge delegate haul in SC, Pete would have soared and sputtered and then Bernie would have had all the momentum.

by Anonymousreply 105July 29, 2020 3:30 PM

Biden has to pick a woman even though I'd prefer Cuomo or another popular Dem governor. Biden really looks old and needs someone young and tough to be his VP. Harris will be fine.

by Anonymousreply 106July 29, 2020 3:31 PM

It seems like most of us in here dont love her and tolerate her at best. But we will vote democrat no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 107July 29, 2020 3:31 PM

Whoever the VP is has to run in 2024. Because, let's be real, Biden isn't going for a second term.

Is the country going to be ready for a black female president come 2024? That's going to be the real question.

by Anonymousreply 108July 29, 2020 3:35 PM

[quote] It seems like most of us in here dont love her and tolerate her at best. But we will vote democrat no matter what.

Of course most of you 'here' don't love 'her.'

'Here' is Datalounge and 'her' is a Black woman. . Nevermind that she was officiating same-sex marriages in SF City Hall way back in 2004.

by Anonymousreply 109July 29, 2020 3:36 PM

r82, speak for yourself. People in California, like her fine. We keep electing her.

She just entered the National State for this election which I thought was a cycle too soon. She had her regular great staff that got her elected many times but hired her sister as campaign manager. This is where it went down the tubes. Nepotism is bad, and if she eventually becomes President, be assured - sister will be no where seen. Her sisters' message conflicted with her teams and tried to be everything to everyone and ended up being no where.

She dropped out really early and had been still 4th in the polls, only because she did not want to be on the ballot in California. Her campaign floundered but it could have resurged as she was starting to come forward in a new manner but that deadline loomed and rather than coming in second or third she decided it wasn't the right time to run.

When it was down to Biden and Sanders a lot of people felt they wanted those that dropped out so soon to have been back in the campaign. POC wanted Harris and Castro back or in some VP situation. Castro was set to be Warren's Vp choice.

by Anonymousreply 110July 29, 2020 3:37 PM

R109, you're a rube who falls for cluster-B types, aren't you?

by Anonymousreply 111July 29, 2020 3:38 PM

r109, yep once again DL fails to understand who their real allies are.

by Anonymousreply 112July 29, 2020 3:38 PM

R51, working class white guys in WI, MI and MN have been pummeled by Trump, his policies and his brain-dead trade war with China. Their votes for Trump cost them their jobs and security. The country is at the precipice of collapse thanks to Trump and his failure at... everything. You'd think they would have listened to their fellow white working class guys who told them stories of the way Trump operates — and we've seen in in spades for 3 and a half years — but we're still sitting here with 150,000+ dead (as of yesterday), over 4.3 million infected, and Trump at 45% approval.

There is a reason why working class white guys don't go to college.

by Anonymousreply 113July 29, 2020 3:40 PM

R113, all true, but doesn't matter: bottom line, they'll show up to vote against Harris.

They're self-defeating, self-destructive, and don't see where their true interests lie.

They'll show up just to vote against Harris.

by Anonymousreply 114July 29, 2020 3:43 PM

Tulsi isn't a Russian asset. jfc ElderLez. It's a smear pushed by the DNC who wants nothing but puppets to line their pockets. Tulsi would be electable, but the DNC wants nothing but good puppets. Same as the NeverTrumpers in the RNC.

There's a reason they coalesced behind demented Biden. It's also why they pushed Kamala (who voters didn't like and rejected) and are now planning to back-door her in.

by Anonymousreply 115July 29, 2020 3:44 PM

Jesus Christ.

by Anonymousreply 116July 29, 2020 3:47 PM

The same people are posting anti-Harris comments over and over again here.

by Anonymousreply 117July 29, 2020 3:54 PM

R110, yeah when the alternative is Loretta Sanchez of course people are going to vote for Harris. I still dont like her.

by Anonymousreply 118July 29, 2020 3:55 PM

R117, the same people are posting pro-Harris comments here. Surprise. It's a thread related to a specific topic.

by Anonymousreply 119July 29, 2020 3:56 PM

I’m looking forward to the announcement and learning who it actually is.

by Anonymousreply 120July 29, 2020 4:10 PM

[quote]Completely revisionist. Harris exited before Iowa at a time when she was polling even with Warren and ahead of Pete and Amy.

You want to talk about completely revisionist... she was polling in the fucking basement. Three per cent. She dropped out December 3rd. On Dec. 2nd 538 showed her average standing at 3.9%, Warren was a 15.7 (you have interesting math on polling even, dear), Pete ahead of her at 9.7 and Amy at 2.1.

"Her sharp rise in the polls did not last long, with Harris skidding into fifth place and registering in the single digits by September. When she dropped out Tuesday, her RealClearPolitics national polling average was hovering just above 3 percent."

"Recent weeks have carried numerous warning signs of a derailed campaign, with Harris abruptly shuttering much of the campaign's New Hampshire operation as the senator focused squarely on Iowa. She laid off staff rather than recalibrating her resources and hoped a top-three finish in Iowa could propel her to a win in South Carolina."

Try harder, eh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121July 29, 2020 4:22 PM

Why couldn’t he choose Obama? There’s no law against a two term president serving as VP.

We wrap it up. And trump couldn’t contest it since the margins would be too large a loss for Trump.

Biden doesn’t ask for term 2 and neither does Obama.

Fix the fucking country!!

by Anonymousreply 122July 29, 2020 4:22 PM

R122, we don't do that here.

by Anonymousreply 123July 29, 2020 4:23 PM

The Veep must be able to serve as President. Having served two terms, Obama isn't.

by Anonymousreply 124July 29, 2020 4:23 PM

Get ready for the #KHive. The LSA branch has champagne on ice as we speak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125July 29, 2020 4:33 PM

R125, what's LSA?

by Anonymousreply 126July 29, 2020 4:36 PM

Never mind - Lipstick Alley. for some reason I thought you were talking about an association of some kind.

by Anonymousreply 127July 29, 2020 4:39 PM

Fine. Elevate her to national office. Let's see if she can survive and succeed. If so, then she'll become president.

I think there'll be other Dems who'll outshine her in the next few years, and I think people will grow tired of what they see as her desperation to be president.

by Anonymousreply 128July 29, 2020 4:48 PM

Oh great, a KHive. I’m sure they encourage rational debate and objective dissent

by Anonymousreply 129July 29, 2020 4:52 PM

The I-Hate-Kamela-but-Tulsi-is-Great troll has posted a lot on this thread. Give it a rest, Boris.

by Anonymousreply 130July 29, 2020 4:53 PM

Here ya go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131July 29, 2020 4:56 PM

R131, so what? What's new?

by Anonymousreply 132July 29, 2020 4:58 PM

[quote] "Voting for Biden, means the FIRST female Black AG in history"

Excuse me?

by Anonymousreply 133July 29, 2020 5:04 PM

[quote] but the DNC wants nothing but good puppets. Same as the NeverTrumpers in the RNC.

Now we see your true colors.

by Anonymousreply 134July 29, 2020 5:05 PM

You got me R131! 4 comments in a 100+ comment thread! Gonna check in with my Commissar in Leningrad now for a new strategy since I’ve been foiled so hard.

by Anonymousreply 135July 29, 2020 5:11 PM

R134, just block him. I only saw his stupid comment because you quoted him. Block the Cheeto-suckers.

by Anonymousreply 136July 29, 2020 5:12 PM

If it has to be a woman (already a serious mistake) then it has to be one who has run a city or state (successfully). Otherwise people- especially men- won't have confidence in her.

by Anonymousreply 137July 29, 2020 5:19 PM

Is OP the Miss Kamala Devi Harris Is My Diva troll?

by Anonymousreply 138July 29, 2020 5:21 PM

No, R138. I'm not a Harris fan.

by Anonymousreply 139July 29, 2020 5:27 PM

I wouldn't mind if Rep. Val Demings (D-FL) were picked as the vice-presidential candidate. She was outstanding during the impeachment hearings. She was also the former police chief of Orlando, so she has "law and order" street cred for those care about this issue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140July 29, 2020 5:52 PM

What's probably taking so long is they are having to vet the husbands of these lady politicians. Playboys who married the plain gals knowing she: 1) has a good income; and 2) would be too busy to notice his cheating on the side.

by Anonymousreply 141July 29, 2020 6:00 PM

Then how did I pass?!

by Anonymousreply 142July 29, 2020 6:04 PM

Jesus this place is just a cauldron of bile on almost every topic these days. It wasn't always like this. Trump has been a nightmare for everyone not Evangelical (and end-timeserly) and must go and that should be anyone with a rational mind's objective at this point. The Trumpists are all shameless, lying grifters who we know will literally say anything to stay in power, no matter how twacked it may be. This is serious. He's sodomizing the Constitution daily.

Get your head out of your asses and Get Out The Vote. These fuckers can and will try to steal it however they can and if enough of us don't show up we as a country are done.

That said,

Biden/Harris 2020

by Anonymousreply 143July 29, 2020 6:08 PM

BOO.

Harris locked up innocent people and she doesn't give a fuck. This will make her a Presidential frontrunner in the future and ANOTHER Democrat I'll have to hold my nose for.

I want BIll Clinton or Barack Obama.

by Anonymousreply 144July 29, 2020 6:13 PM

I hope Biden's people have this staffer, who spilled all Kamala's campaign failure teas, shipped off to a deserted island until the election is over. She went on to work for Bloomberg, Im sure that worked out well for her lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145July 29, 2020 6:38 PM

R143, what a long way to get to you point: wah! wah! wah! I waaaaaaanty Kamala!

by Anonymousreply 146July 29, 2020 6:43 PM

Yea, r135. And no other comments on the site. Bye-bye,

by Anonymousreply 147July 29, 2020 8:39 PM

I will be perfectly fine with any of the names in contention for VP - unlike how I felt when Hillary chose Tim Kaine. I was so disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 148July 29, 2020 9:56 PM

[quote]this place is just a cauldron of bile

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 149July 29, 2020 9:58 PM

Tulsi electable, not even in Hawaii. Fuck out of here

by Anonymousreply 150July 30, 2020 1:00 AM

[quote]So they can use her talents on the campaign and say "Voting for Biden, means the FIRST female Black AG in history"

That's news to me.

by Anonymousreply 151July 30, 2020 1:34 AM

The race is trending towards Trump. Kamala will allow him to have the lead in the key battleground states. Big mistake, but Democrats snatch defeat from the jaws of victory on a regular basis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152July 30, 2020 1:35 AM

"The race is trending towards Trump"

Said no one in the last 3 months - even Fox News has stopped lying 24/7 (more like 50% now). For the moment, Dump is VERY behind in polls and in key swing states.

by Anonymousreply 153July 30, 2020 1:42 AM

r152, you sound like an absolute idiot!

by Anonymousreply 154July 30, 2020 1:43 AM

R152 - Kenneth Bernstein tweeted the response - "Change Research is according to Five Thirty Eight a C- pollster. Puzzled why CNBC would use them"

by Anonymousreply 155July 30, 2020 1:44 AM

Another Demings takedown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156July 30, 2020 1:52 AM

Not surprising. The establishment & corporate Democrats want Harris. The party already took out M4A and legal marijuana from the platform. And Green New Deal is going to be watered down.

by Anonymousreply 157July 30, 2020 2:02 AM

Stop it with “establishment and corporate democrats”. Majority of americans are centrist and moderate. The swing states are moderate to right wing. Win the presidency first and the senate second, have the olds and boomers die off, then you push your agenda. You can dream, but you are dooming yourself to one trump after another. But then, I really am not sure how palatable Harris is to a flyover swing state voter. Biden should not have committed to any VP, it isnt as if Harris polls well with black people, do they think she is one of their own?

by Anonymousreply 158July 30, 2020 2:21 AM

The VP selection is basically never a factor in presidential elections. You may or may not like Harris, but if you think Biden is going to suddenly lose because he picks a black woman as VP, you’re stuck in the early ‘80s.

by Anonymousreply 159July 30, 2020 2:29 AM

What about Hillary, he could pick her and then resign. We could then have Hillary as President.

by Anonymousreply 160July 30, 2020 2:31 AM

[quote]...it isnt as if Harris polls well with black people, do they think she is one of their own?

Black American culture continues to confound Russians. Give it up, Boris.

by Anonymousreply 161July 30, 2020 2:40 AM

Wow, they are coming for Val. I still like her and would like to see her get the gig. I wonder if hot daddy Eric Swalwell moves to the Senate if Kamala gets the nod and they win.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162July 30, 2020 2:55 AM

[quote]The VP selection is basically never a factor in presidential elections.

How can you argue that when Biden is 77 years old?

by Anonymousreply 163July 30, 2020 3:15 AM

Is Marianne Williamson being vetted ? 🔮

by Anonymousreply 164July 30, 2020 3:26 AM

[quote] Wow, they are coming for Val. I still like her and would like to see her get the gig. I wonder if hot daddy Eric Swalwell moves to the Senate if Kamala gets the nod and they win.

No. Newsom will select a woman of color to replace Harris.

by Anonymousreply 165July 30, 2020 3:27 AM

Everyone is working so hard to derail any pick for VP that is a woman. It's all about men not wanting a woman to be 2nd in line.

To be that close to POTUS they would rather that Orange Turd stay in office.

by Anonymousreply 166July 30, 2020 3:40 AM

I can’t stand Kamala and I’m from California.

by Anonymousreply 167July 30, 2020 3:47 AM

r162, I don't think Val Demmings has enough experience to be VP.

by Anonymousreply 168July 30, 2020 3:56 AM

I like Val but those hood wigs disqualify her.

by Anonymousreply 169July 30, 2020 4:29 AM

I will admit that I’m not good at these things, but if this is a wig I think it looks fine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170July 30, 2020 4:33 AM

And what do you base that on, R166?

Somehow women should be exempt from the rough and tumble of the process? Kamala Harris could dish it out and sell the t-shirt. Where's the problem?

by Anonymousreply 171July 30, 2020 10:30 PM

The more I think about it, it's a wishful thinking myth that Harris is the best choice. Her numbers when she dropped out were pathetic.... 3%. Even Democrats didn't want her. By polling, Warren should be the pick. But there isn't really the stardust around Harris that a lot of people like to pretend. Granted, her sense of style is compelling. She outpolls Warren there.

by Anonymousreply 172July 30, 2020 10:32 PM

Good luck finding a black woman over 45 that doesn't wear a wig. I can't easily explain. Ask Maxine.

by Anonymousreply 173July 31, 2020 1:17 AM

I prefer Warren over Harris too, R172. But jeez, let’s not go adding 2020 primary popularity into the mix cause the numbers aren’t great for Liz considering she lost her own home state (which has to be a first in history for a sitting senator). In fact not only did she lose, she came in third behind Bernie Sanders. Warren’s campaign was absolutely pitiful.

by Anonymousreply 174July 31, 2020 1:22 AM

I would not rule out Susan Rice. She may not be very fashionable and come across as warm, but she is a foreign policy expert and certainly is not dumb on economic policies and other prime issues. If Biden is unable to sustain his term, she can immediately handle the job.

Republicans will bring up Benghazi, but she can handle it. Trump sold-out the Kurds, put kids in cages, undermined NATO and western/central Europe, blundered in dealing with China, kissed up to Kim in DRNK and got nothing in return, and did not confront Putin on placing bounties on U.S. troops in Afghanistan. Trump has been a Putin puppet. There is plenty Rice can attack Trump-Prince on regarding foreign affairs, and do so with authority.

Rice does have an adult right-wing, Bannon-thinking son. But who doesn't have someone weird in their family? Liz Warren has Republican brothers and she was a Reagan-Bush voter herself.

Rice is not a BLM activist, but has supported civil rights matters throughout her career. And frankly, the people that predominantly vote are not obsessed with SJW agendas.

by Anonymousreply 175July 31, 2020 1:48 AM

^Trump-Pence; not Prince

by Anonymousreply 176July 31, 2020 1:52 AM

Bye, White House chances....

by Anonymousreply 177July 31, 2020 1:54 AM

Susan Rice is too butch. She sounds like she's going pull a wrench out and do some work on my car.

by Anonymousreply 178July 31, 2020 2:06 AM

Harris is as polarizing as Warren. I thought ideally a VP pick does no harm.

by Anonymousreply 179July 31, 2020 3:35 AM

What about Tulsi Gabbard?

by Anonymousreply 180July 31, 2020 4:36 AM

What the fuck about her r180? No one cares for that broke down Rocky and Bullwinkle Natasha bitch.

by Anonymousreply 181July 31, 2020 4:42 AM

Tulsa would be a solid VP pick and it would lock up Hawaii for Biden to boot.

by Anonymousreply 182July 31, 2020 5:00 AM

I hate to sound like a broken record, but just give it to Val Demings. Legislative credentials. Law & order credentials. She's from Florida. She knows how to speak to people. She's not a show boater and will be a good partner to Uncle Joe. Let's just wrap this up now.

by Anonymousreply 183July 31, 2020 5:05 AM

Val Demings was elected to the House in 2016, and was sworn in January 2017. Absurd if she’s selected, largely on the basis of the impeachment. Insane.

by Anonymousreply 184July 31, 2020 5:22 AM

It has to be someone from a big swing state: North Carolina, Texas, or Florida.

by Anonymousreply 185July 31, 2020 5:54 AM

Texas isn’t a swing state. Yes right now it’s close but it’s not there yet.

by Anonymousreply 186July 31, 2020 6:09 AM

Sally Yates fits the bill.

by Anonymousreply 187July 31, 2020 9:36 AM

I wonder if his pick will be announced tomorrow August 1 ??

by Anonymousreply 188July 31, 2020 11:09 AM

Joe Biden narrows down his VP list, with Karen Bass emerging as one of several key contenders

By MJ Lee, Jeff Zeleny and Jasmine Wright, CNN

Updated 12:22 PM ET, Fri July 31, 2020

(CNN) Joe Biden heads into the weekend weighing the biggest decision of his presidential campaign so far, and people close to the process tell CNN that the former vice president is believed to have now begun to narrow his personal shortlist of potential running mates to a handful of women.

In more than two dozen interviews with CNN in recent days, members of Congress, top Democratic donors, Biden allies and others close to the vice presidential vetting process said California Rep. Karen Bass, the 66-year-old chair of the Congressional Black Caucus, has gained real traction in the late stage of the search. Amid furious last-minute lobbying and speculation about Biden's historic decision, California Sen. Kamala Harris and Susan Rice, Barack Obama's former national security adviser, are also believed to be among the most serious contenders.

by Anonymousreply 189July 31, 2020 6:59 PM

Sounds like Bass is as likely as Harris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190July 31, 2020 7:20 PM

Oh, "don't feed a hamburger to Dylann Roof" Bass?

by Anonymousreply 191July 31, 2020 8:30 PM

[quote]Susan Rice is too butch. She sounds like she's going pull a wrench out and do some work on my car.

Rice is a graduate of Stanford and has two degrees (MPhil and DPhil) from Oxford.

Are you searching for a lesbian mechanic? They wouldn't like you.

by Anonymousreply 192July 31, 2020 8:43 PM

[QUOTE] Mr. Biden is said to be focused on finding a running mate he regards as capable of advancing his priorities in governing and who can be counted on not to stray from the urgent challenges facing the nation to pursue their own political priorities, according to people familiar with his thinking.

Well that would rule out both Kamala and Liz.

by Anonymousreply 193July 31, 2020 11:53 PM

Politicians from California add nothing to the ticket. Next.

by Anonymousreply 194August 1, 2020 12:00 AM

What difference does being from California make?

by Anonymousreply 195August 1, 2020 12:06 AM

Bass praising Scientology will hurt her chances. I think it will be Rice.

by Anonymousreply 196August 1, 2020 12:34 AM

[QUOTE] Politicians from California add nothing to the ticket. Next.

Then who should he pick, R194? The only person on the shortlist from a swing state is Val Demings.

by Anonymousreply 197August 1, 2020 12:44 AM

I had such high hopes for her during the Dem primary, but face it bitches, she sucks as a campaigner.

No doubt she'll kick Pence in the balls so hard they'll come out of his mouth during the debates.

Still...

by Anonymousreply 198August 1, 2020 12:51 AM

Desperate gunner. Like going to the teacher after getting a bad grade and demanding an A.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199August 1, 2020 12:59 AM

R197, someone Midwestern like Klobuchar. Tammy Baldwin. Tammy Duckworth.

by Anonymousreply 200August 1, 2020 1:01 AM

Klobuchar is a non starter and you can kiss the black vote goodbye if he pulls that stunt.

Tammy Baldwin would have ferocious.

The K Hive is already tearing down Bass saying she's Tim Kaine 2.0.

It's probably going to be Rice or Val Demmings.

by Anonymousreply 201August 1, 2020 1:05 AM

Harris, Rice, and Warren are the only ones he should be considering at this point. No one else has the experience.

by Anonymousreply 202August 1, 2020 1:10 AM

The K Hive is scary. That special conference call tells me she’s Tracy Flick with friends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203August 1, 2020 1:11 AM

She's a smarmy egomaniac who had no business running for POTUS. Too. Much. Baggage.

Ol' Joe needs someone extremely close and copacetic with him- a co-President in a way.

by Anonymousreply 204August 1, 2020 1:39 AM

I'll laugh SO hard if he doesn't choose her. This almost bullying of him to choose her is embarrassing. For what??

by Anonymousreply 205August 1, 2020 1:48 AM

VP Susan Rice.

by Anonymousreply 206August 1, 2020 1:51 AM

It’s sounding really bad for Harris, actually.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207August 1, 2020 1:52 AM

“One Democrat close to Mr. Biden’s campaign said its polling indicated that Ms. Harris has little allure with Black voters. More telling, a Biden campaign official reached out to The New York Times, unprompted, to say that some of the former vice president’s own staff members are not supportive of her.

“California Democrats, including several in Congress, have expressed their wariness about Ms. Harris to Mr. Biden’s advisers. In some cases, they have guided him in the direction of Ms. Bass, who is highly regarded in her home state.”

by Anonymousreply 208August 1, 2020 1:53 AM

Looks like a black hand.

by Anonymousreply 209August 1, 2020 1:54 AM

[quote] WASHINGTON — Joseph R. Biden Jr. has entered the final stage of his deliberations about choosing a running mate as he prepares to talk one-on-one with the finalists next week, while Democratic leaders lobby him furiously to elevate their allies and sink their enemies.

[quote] Mr. Biden’s campaign has conducted extensive polling and focus groups with voters on a collection of candidates and weighed an array of factors, such as the impact of the pick in battleground states, and whether to choose a Black woman. Aides say the announcement will come the week before the Democratic convention in August.

So the announcement is actually two weeks away. It’s not this coming week.

by Anonymousreply 210August 1, 2020 1:55 AM

[quote] VP Susan Rice.

Benghazi, meeting Bill Clinton on the tarmac, alt-Right son. Are you high?

by Anonymousreply 211August 1, 2020 1:55 AM

Ms. Bass, too, has drawbacks. She has never been in a setting comparable to a high-stakes debate with Vice President Mike Pence. And in private vetting conversations, members of Mr. Biden’s team have asked Ms. Bass to explain aspects of her record on Cuba: She visited the country multiple times in the Fidel Castro era and issued a respectful statement when he died. Ms. Bass has said publicly that she had reconsidered those comments. Clearly, though, Mr. Biden is facing the most intense lobbying to choose a Black running mate.

A small group of strategists and activists who have been pressing for a Black woman recently spoke with members of the search committee, according to two people with knowledge of the conversation. They discussed the electoral map and how the political environment in the country had shifted following the killing of George Floyd in police custody in May.

When given the opportunity to make a case for a specific candidate, participants indicated their support of any of the Black women considered, but Ms. Harris and Ms. Rice came up the most, the people familiar with the conversation said. They noted that the meeting unfolded before it was evident how seriously Ms. Bass was being considered.

by Anonymousreply 212August 1, 2020 1:57 AM

Ugh, I REALLY dislike Susan Rice.

Can't we just put Gavin Newsom in a wig and call it a day?

by Anonymousreply 213August 1, 2020 1:58 AM

Susan Rice is sooooooooo boooooooooorrrriinnng.

Almost as boring as Amy Klobuchar. Almost.

by Anonymousreply 214August 1, 2020 2:00 AM

r211, that was Loretta Lynch who met Clinton in 2016.

Do all black women look alike to you?

by Anonymousreply 215August 1, 2020 2:01 AM

Terrible judgment on Bass’s part. Along with the repeated Cuba visits and kind words for Castro.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216August 1, 2020 2:02 AM

[QUOTE] Ol' Joe needs someone extremely close and copacetic with him- a co-President in a way.

The only candidates who best fits that description (while having the experience of running for national office) are Amy Klobuchar and Elizabeth Warren. I think Liz would be perfect for Joe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217August 1, 2020 2:04 AM

Poor dear Viola thinks its going to be her.

by Anonymousreply 218August 1, 2020 2:06 AM

Just think guys.....if it's Kamala, that means four more years of Maya Rudolph sketches on SNL!!!!

by Anonymousreply 219August 1, 2020 2:08 AM

Bass is completely unqualified.

People stop the madness.

by Anonymousreply 220August 1, 2020 2:09 AM

[quote]Ol' Joe needs someone extremely close and copacetic with him- a co-President in a way.

Yes. He wanted Amy Klobuchar. But then blacks started DEMANDING a black woman. So now we're stuck with problematic Kamala or completely unqualified Bass or Rice.

by Anonymousreply 221August 1, 2020 2:19 AM

Karne Bass is completely unqualified, unvetted, and unknown on a national stage. A complete disaster for Joe Biden if chooses her.

by Anonymousreply 222August 1, 2020 2:21 AM

r217, Liz is too damn old for VP.

Joe needs a younger woman to balance the ticket.

Oh yeah, and he's not picking a white woman either.

by Anonymousreply 223August 1, 2020 2:21 AM

[quote]Benghazi, meeting Bill Clinton on the tarmac, alt-Right son. Are you high?

It was Loretta Lynch on the tarmac. But this just shows how problematic a candidate Susan Rice is. People attribute scandals to her that she wasn't even involved in. FAIL.

by Anonymousreply 224August 1, 2020 2:23 AM

R217, Warren? Really? She’s sympatico with Biden?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225August 1, 2020 2:27 AM

Who are the “persons of color” being considered?

Rice

Harris

Bottoms

Demings

Bass

Does Duckworth count? Or is she the wrong race (biracial white and East Asian)?

The insistence on anyone as long as she’s Black (by those advocates in the Times article) is... Hmm 🤐

by Anonymousreply 226August 1, 2020 2:32 AM

Biden should choose Hillary. She obviously has to the experience to step in as President , should the need arise.

by Anonymousreply 227August 1, 2020 2:42 AM

Elizabeth Warren was Harvard Law School's first Woman of Color.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228August 1, 2020 2:46 AM

No one wants Liz Warren. No. One. Not even Massachusetts.

by Anonymousreply 229August 1, 2020 2:54 AM

I hope they used many focus groups. I suspect the plurality of middle Americans will have most favored Duckworth.

by Anonymousreply 230August 1, 2020 2:56 AM

r220, if Bass is unqualified so is Demings.

by Anonymousreply 231August 1, 2020 2:58 AM

Notice how no one ever calls a straight white guy unqualified. Any time a person of color, a woman, a gay person is mentioned for some higher office, you can always expect to hear questions about their qualifications. And if it’s not their qualifications, it’s something else. There is always a reason. Stop it.

by Anonymousreply 232August 1, 2020 3:02 AM

R232, there are no straight white guys being evaluated for VP. Thus the lack of criticism for any herein

by Anonymousreply 233August 1, 2020 3:04 AM

He should consider the one black womanwith the most name recognition, Michelle Obama!

by Anonymousreply 234August 1, 2020 3:05 AM

Oh please R233.

by Anonymousreply 235August 1, 2020 3:05 AM

Bloomberg, Stoddard, and Biden were all heavily criticized during the primaries, r232.

by Anonymousreply 236August 1, 2020 3:06 AM

R235, nice comeback.

by Anonymousreply 237August 1, 2020 3:06 AM

*Steyer

by Anonymousreply 238August 1, 2020 3:06 AM

California Rep. Karen Bass has baggage. Pass.

by Anonymousreply 239August 1, 2020 3:07 AM

1.5 million vets in Florida.

by Anonymousreply 240August 1, 2020 3:09 AM

What's missing from all of the 'insider' reporting is who Obama would select for Joe's VP. Obama's opinion carries a lot of weight with Biden. Whoever he is enthusiastic about will get the nod.

by Anonymousreply 241August 1, 2020 3:22 AM

Kamala would not be my first choice, but I am not opposed to her. However the issue with Kamala is she can’t keep her ambition in check. There is nothing wrong with ambition, but you can tell just how thirsty she is. I think Joe wants a real partner, not someone who is going to showboat.

by Anonymousreply 242August 1, 2020 3:27 AM

It has to be a Black female. That’s non-negotiable.

by Anonymousreply 243August 1, 2020 3:30 AM

Bass has a sketchy link to Scientology. It’s all over Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 244August 1, 2020 3:47 AM

Word on the street is that Laverne Cox is being considered

by Anonymousreply 245August 1, 2020 3:48 AM

The Biden campaign is throwing names out there and letting the PRESS do the vetting and digging up the dirt. Anyone else notice this? Every few days a new name.

by Anonymousreply 246August 1, 2020 4:38 AM

R246, if so, it’s an excellent idea.

“She’s been vetted by the press in the course of her presidential campaign” — oh, clearly.

by Anonymousreply 247August 1, 2020 4:57 AM

The whole point of choosing a Black woman, is so that part of Biden’s legacy will be how he put a Black woman on the fast-track to being President. That’s not Karen Bass.

by Anonymousreply 248August 1, 2020 2:35 PM

Very nice article about Duckworth today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249August 1, 2020 2:49 PM

Agree that Kamala is too ambitious and thirsty. But that’s better than an utter bore like Susan Rice.

by Anonymousreply 250August 1, 2020 3:07 PM

Article at R249 is lovely. Is is

by Anonymousreply 251August 1, 2020 3:08 PM

Every politician is ambitious. That goes with the territory. Some just hide it better than others.

Biden/Harris seemed like a such a perfect fit on paper, it's a shame because Biden came into the first debate unprepared that she's getting the blame for it.

by Anonymousreply 252August 1, 2020 3:13 PM

[quote]Who are the “persons of color” being considered?

I strongly hope he’s considering Howard Stern wackpacker “Tan Mom”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253August 1, 2020 3:15 PM

Can guarantee that r250 has never posted that any man was too ambitious or thirsty.

by Anonymousreply 254August 1, 2020 3:23 PM

Please. Like we weren’t saying the same thing about John Edwards.

by Anonymousreply 255August 1, 2020 3:26 PM

[quote]Can guarantee that [R250] has never posted that any man was too ambitious or thirsty.

Wrong. Posted multiple times about Mayo Pete and Beto O’Rourke.

by Anonymousreply 256August 1, 2020 3:30 PM

[quote] Biden came into the first debate unprepared that she's getting the blame for it.

Unprepared or not. Kamala got on that stage and basically called Joe Biden, a fellow democrat, a racist. Joe Biden is a lot of things, but the man is not a racist. Trying to tie Joe to busing was bad form (a practice that both black and white people hated) and left a bad taste and kind of showed what she was about. If she wanted to go after Joe, there were ways to go after him without trying to cast him as a racist.

There is nothing wrong with ambition, and you are going to have to shiv some people along the way to get where you're going. But that was over the top. What she did was Trumpesque and while she got a poll bump from it and a bunch of Twitter retweets, most democrats saw right through it.

by Anonymousreply 257August 1, 2020 3:36 PM

OK r256 that also makes zero sense, but I'm sure that you also posted that many times anyway

by Anonymousreply 258August 1, 2020 3:40 PM

She didn’t call him a racist. She was trying to raise concerns that his thinking on racial issues is antiquated and stuck in the past. It’s a valid area of criticism considering how old he is. But ultimately it didn’t stick.

by Anonymousreply 259August 1, 2020 3:41 PM

[quote]Kamala got on that stage and basically called Joe Biden, a fellow democrat, a racist.

Except for the part when she said, "I know you're not a racist".

[quote]What she did was Trumpesque

Why did no one have this same problem when Biden took a page out of the McCain-Palin playbook and ridiculed Buttigieg's experience as a Mayor? It was the same attack that they used on Obama back in 2008, but funny how no one accused Biden of resorting to dirty Republican tricks to get ahead in his campaign.

by Anonymousreply 260August 1, 2020 3:44 PM

[quote]Except for the part when she said, "I know you're not a racist".

She knew exactly what she was doing. That's an old law school trick.

[quote]Why did no one have this same problem when Biden took a page out of the McCain-Palin playbook and ridiculed Buttigieg's experience as a Mayor? It was the same attack that they used on Obama back in 2008, but funny how no one accused Biden of resorting to dirty Republican tricks to get ahead in his campaign.

As a Pete supporter during the primaries, that annoyed me but it wasn't as over the top as what Kamala did. In the same way Klobuchar's digs at Pete annoyed me, but she never came anywhere near to what Kamala did to Joe.

All that being said, I wouldn't have a problem with her being the VP pick. I think Kamala's biggest problem was that she filled her campaign with former Hillary staffers who botched her campaign and she could not communicate why she wanted to be president.

by Anonymousreply 261August 1, 2020 3:55 PM

That's your opinion. Biden's add was belittling, it was tasteless, and it was a slap in the face everywhere to small town mayors, as if to say that they don't do anything or their jobs aren't important. But Pete time and time again stood there and defended his position and his accomplishments elegantly.

Kamala had to bring it up because it was in the news cycle, and it was generating a lot of controversy. Biden fumbled because of his own arrogance in refusing to prepare, because he thought he had the nomination in the bag. He could have came back and zinged Kamala good, but he couldn't, because he was caught off guard. But somehow that's Harris' fault?

by Anonymousreply 262August 1, 2020 4:01 PM

Ucch, it's all this nitpicky squabbling that did us in in 2016. Who gives a flying fuck. Primary season gets rough, that's the way it is. When primaries are over , you kiss and make up and get on the fucking bus.

by Anonymousreply 263August 1, 2020 4:12 PM

[quote]Kamala had to bring it up because it was in the news cycle, and it was generating a lot of controversy.

She didn't have to bring it up. She should have stayed above the fray. And it was only generating controversy among people who get offended by a slight breeze.

by Anonymousreply 264August 1, 2020 4:14 PM

So much angst and anger around Harris.

With Biden, Bass, Warren — she’s toxic at this point.

I don’t really want a Tracy Flick on the ticket. I think swing voters at the margins will feel the same.

Do we really want the K Hive complaining through the rest of the campaign and the entire administration that Harris isn’t getting the spotlight enough? Look at that conference call: expect more of that, except in the Oval Office. That call was insane.

Nip it at the bud. Make her AG.

by Anonymousreply 265August 1, 2020 4:20 PM

Kamala Harris is the Meghan Merkel of politics.

by Anonymousreply 266August 1, 2020 4:32 PM

[quote]When primaries are over , you kiss and make up and get on the fucking bus.

I was that little girl on the fucking bus!

by Anonymousreply 267August 1, 2020 4:34 PM

Can't say I love her. She has that tiresome corporate vibe, but really, so what? If it's her, it's her, and we vote for Biden because Trump is such a shithole of neediness and corruption.

by Anonymousreply 268August 1, 2020 4:36 PM

Harris is such an unlikable human being. Sometimes I just wanna punch her in the face and I’m a woman.

I’m hoping it’s either Susan Rice or Elizabeth Warren.

by Anonymousreply 269August 1, 2020 4:42 PM

I think Elizabeth Warren would be miserable as Vice President. I think she would truly hate the job. I hope she is put in charge of a very complicated mess and tasked with making it work: health care reform, income distribution, the future of work and the workforce. Something that would actually use her talents. Glad handing and going to funerals and being the substitute president at diplomatic or political functions. I think she would hate that shit.

by Anonymousreply 270August 1, 2020 4:47 PM

[quote]Glad handing and going to funerals and being the substitute president at diplomatic or political functions. I think she would hate that shit.

Agree that Warren would hate that shit. Harris would excel at it.

by Anonymousreply 271August 1, 2020 4:50 PM

Warren needs to stay in the Senate. Governor Baker is a republican and he would appoint her replacement.

by Anonymousreply 272August 1, 2020 4:52 PM

Washington Post July 31 op-ed by Dana Milbank:

Last October, former Obama national security adviser Susan Rice, now being mentioned as a possible running mate for Joe Biden, was on the popular podcast “Pod Save America,” when another former Obama administration official, Tommy Vietor, shared his belief that high-ranking Republican Sen. Lindsey O. Graham of South Carolina is a long-standing specimen of excrement.

“He’s been a piece of s---,” Rice concurred. “I said it. I said it, finally, dammit. He’s a piece of s---.” She smiled at the camera.

Ladies and gentlemen, the vice president of the United States?

What the %$#@&?

If Biden is actually considering Rice for the job — I suspect the boomlet is more about building her profile for another future post — it would be a costly mistake...

Rice has a history of turning allies and opponents alike into enemies.

Most people in politics have sharp elbows, and women often get held to an unfair standard. Even so, the ill will Rice has generated is exceptional. Her f-bombs are legend, to allies at the United Nations, to U.S. diplomats and to administration colleagues. She famously flipped the bird at Richard Holbrooke, told France’s U.N. ambassador that “you’re not going to drag us into your s---ty war” and drew complaints of disrespect from allies on the U.N. Security Council. She gives as good as she gets from Trump, asking on Twitter last Sunday if he “can’t get it up and over the plate” after he said he wouldn’t throw out a first pitch....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273August 1, 2020 5:00 PM

I think it's Kamala but come on, r273. We're really supposed to be shocked and dismayed by a lack of decorum in the Age of Trump? Really?

by Anonymousreply 274August 1, 2020 5:08 PM

I was just quoting the article by Milbank - I'm glad to hear you think it wouldn't be an issue.

I hope it's Kamala -- or Rice. Though if Liz were younger and her governor were Democratic, I'd be happy with her.

by Anonymousreply 275August 1, 2020 5:22 PM

R270 your concept of the Vice President’s role is a couple decades out of date. Neither Dick Cheney, Joe Biden or Mike Pence spent their years glad handing and going to funerals. The duties of the VP have become much more robust, and it all depends on what the President will allow them to do. If Joe wants to put Liz to work, she can go to work with perhaps the most extraordinary VP portfolio yet.

by Anonymousreply 276August 1, 2020 5:26 PM

He'll have to announce it soon, won't he? It's not long now until the election.

by Anonymousreply 277August 1, 2020 5:28 PM

First he said he would announce by August 1 then it was the first week of August - today I read it’s going to be the second week of August which all indicates that he’s having a difficult time deciding.

by Anonymousreply 278August 1, 2020 5:30 PM

[quote] Every politician is ambitious.

Yes, but it’s only acceptable for men. Women are supposed to be relatable, compassionate, and sensitive (but not too sensitive, because that makes them seem crazy).

by Anonymousreply 279August 1, 2020 5:32 PM

But women aren’t supposed to use such language, R274. It’s very déclassé!

by Anonymousreply 280August 1, 2020 5:34 PM

[quote] Ladies and gentlemen, the vice president of the United States?

We all know that no VP has ever dropped the f-bomb!

by Anonymousreply 281August 1, 2020 5:36 PM

If you think of her as the anti-Mike-Pence in every way, she's absolutely magnificent as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 282August 1, 2020 5:46 PM

[QUOTE] First he said he would announce by August 1 then it was the first week of August - today I read it’s going to be the second week of August which all indicates that he’s having a difficult time deciding.

Can you blame him? I don’t envy having to make this decision. He probably settled on Kamala, then read the article at R249 and he’s ready to make Duckworth his VP. These are some great candidates. Meanwhile Chris Dodd and Jill are telling him not to pick Kamala. The Bernie wing loves Karen Bass and she can really help move legislation and would be ready to be president, so he can kill numerous birds with that stone. And I bet he loves Liz and wants to pick her, too. He speaks to her all the time and she can be very convincing. His heart is understandably torn. I wouldn’t know what to do if I were him.

by Anonymousreply 283August 1, 2020 5:53 PM

And he and Rice have been friends and coworkers for decades so there’s that too.

by Anonymousreply 284August 1, 2020 6:08 PM

[quote]The Bernie wing loves Karen Bass

The Bernie wing typically loves unelectable nutjobs.

by Anonymousreply 285August 1, 2020 6:39 PM

[quote]Ladies and gentlemen, the vice president of the United States?

Dick Cheney shot a man in the face, but we’re supposed to be concerned that Susan Rice has dropped a few f-bombs?

by Anonymousreply 286August 1, 2020 6:41 PM

Biden is a "personal touch" guy. If you were basically a stranger to him, your chances of becoming his VP are almost nil. For this reason (forget all of the many, many others), Duckworth, Lance Bottoms, Bass, etc. were never in the running to begin with. Not really. He and Warren were never warm and fuzzy (in fact the opposite seems to be the case). Not in the running. I think that Harris was selected back around Super Tuesday, but I guess we will see. She would have been a slam dunk outside of that debate skirmish way back at the beginning of the primaries. Rice is only in the running because she also shares a personal relationship with Joe.

by Anonymousreply 287August 1, 2020 6:58 PM

The VP has to appeal to swing states: North Carolina, Arizona, PA, Michigan, Florida. Those are the swing states that mater because they are big and are trending blue.

Ideally, it should not be a Senator since we need all our Democratic Senators to be available to work first thing next year. If he must choose a Senator, it should be someone from a clear Blue state so they can place a Democratic interim right quick: Kamala (Ca) & Duckworth (IL).

Otherwise it should be a governor from a Blue state or someone that has served in previous administrations with knowledge about international politics: Lujan (NM) or someone else not in the current conversation like Sally Yates.

Under no circumstances should Bottoms or Edwards be consider for VP.

by Anonymousreply 288August 1, 2020 7:25 PM

Kamala status cooling off in veepstakes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289August 1, 2020 7:36 PM

[quote]The VP has to appeal to swing states: North Carolina, Arizona, PA, Michigan, Florida. Those are the swing states that mater because they are big and are trending blue.

That's why it should have been Klobuchar.

by Anonymousreply 290August 1, 2020 7:52 PM

r290, post George Floyd? BITCH PLEASE!

by Anonymousreply 291August 1, 2020 8:00 PM

To be honest, I would have preferred either Pete or Beto.

by Anonymousreply 292August 1, 2020 8:07 PM

A DLer who would prefer a man r292 ? Thanks for chiming in, we wouldn't have known otherwise

by Anonymousreply 293August 1, 2020 9:05 PM

Block the “everyone hates women” troll.

So second wave. Retrograde.

by Anonymousreply 294August 1, 2020 9:09 PM

I'm reading Karen Bass has some ties/relationship with Scientology? I hope he steers clear of that.

by Anonymousreply 295August 1, 2020 9:10 PM

Why isn't be considering Chicago mayor Lightfoot?

by Anonymousreply 296August 1, 2020 9:11 PM

Adding this for reference. Pasted elsewhere. Clyburn yesterday.

He knows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297August 1, 2020 9:11 PM

R295

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298August 1, 2020 9:16 PM

MSNBC to their credit just called bullshit on that ‘Kamala Harris is too ambitious’ for the misogynistic bullshit it is. The Biden camp was reported as stating “Our team has a lot of ambitious women who want to see Biden elected President.” HA!!!

by Anonymousreply 299August 1, 2020 10:32 PM

r232, Not true. I completely thought that Donald Drumpf was unqualified to hold the position of President 4 years ago, but did y'all listen to me? NOOOOOO!!!!

by Anonymousreply 300August 2, 2020 12:21 AM

“She showed no remorse” became “We don’t like ambitious women” thanks to Harris’s surrogates’ spin.

The people who know what happened, from the Dodd quote on, aren’t fooled. It harmed her chances, actually.

by Anonymousreply 301August 2, 2020 12:25 AM

At this point she’s not going to be VP. This stunt was so self-defeating.

by Anonymousreply 302August 2, 2020 12:26 AM

Hey Miss Cleo r302 since you're already predicting the future, do us all a solid and tell us next week's winning lottery numbers

by Anonymousreply 303August 2, 2020 12:46 AM

Tammy Duckworth would be a disaster. She might be good in the short run, but whichever woman Biden picks will have the inside track to the nomination in 2024 (assuming Biden only stays for 1 term), and there she completely falls apart.

Our nominee in 2024 can't be someone who needs to get around in a wheelchair (and don't give me the FDR comparison, most of the populace had no idea he used one during his era). That will not project strength to the voting public, but weakness, regardless of the way she lost her legs. She will already be fighting an uphill battle just by being a woman.

In addition, she's part Asian (and looks it), and she's not particularly attractive. None of this is going to help put her in a position of strength going into the 2024 election. Especially if the Repugs put up a white male against her in that election that year.

Sadly, sexism and racism still exist in this country.

by Anonymousreply 304August 2, 2020 12:56 AM

Biden should choose Michelle Obama, she hits all the buttons, black, young and from the midwest.

by Anonymousreply 305August 2, 2020 1:02 AM

Americans don't want family dynasties. No more Bushes, Clintons, Kennedys, or Obamas on the ticket.

by Anonymousreply 306August 2, 2020 1:40 AM

If Caroline Kennedy was more attractive and a better campaigner, she would be my choice.

by Anonymousreply 307August 2, 2020 1:44 AM

R287, they did a great job at a fundraiser together last night. They complement each other very well.

by Anonymousreply 308August 2, 2020 1:53 AM

Agree r304 Those obstacles cannot be overturned in less than 100 days from now

by Anonymousreply 309August 2, 2020 1:57 AM

R308's "they" is Warren and Biden?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310August 2, 2020 1:58 AM

[quote] Biden should choose Michelle Obama

You can’t choose someone who isn’t interested.

by Anonymousreply 311August 2, 2020 1:59 AM

I will say for Warren...if she was Vice President right now and had Pence's job as head of the Corona Virus Task Force, you know she would have had a 72-point plan in place to deal with it during the first week.

by Anonymousreply 312August 2, 2020 2:07 AM

And those young people not wearing masks would be getting a stern finger wagger from Elizabeth during her daily briefings

by Anonymousreply 313August 2, 2020 2:17 AM

r313, Maybe they should be.

Going out without a mask on is the ultimate in selfishness these days.

by Anonymousreply 314August 2, 2020 2:23 AM

Important to note the black electorate was NOT offended by the debate stunt Harris pulled on Biden. White candidates should be held to account for their entire record. Harris soared in the polls after that stunt so it resonated positively with many voters. It also solidified her black identity for all the "she's not black enough" crowd.

However, she failed to follow through on the confrontational nature of that dust-up -- or to anticipate predictable attacks from Russian asset and political has-been Gabbard. She never articulated a cohesive platform or vision.

As VP, she doesn't have to have a platform or vision. The failures of her campaign would be immaterial, it will all be down to whether she is qualified to lead from day one -- and she is.

by Anonymousreply 315August 2, 2020 4:00 AM

It’s not over till the fat lady sings.

by Anonymousreply 316August 2, 2020 4:16 AM

The country is not going to support a California liberal for VP.

by Anonymousreply 317August 2, 2020 4:18 AM

If I am Harris, I am really pissed that I am still "vying" for VP. She is a US Senator AND former Attorney General -- she should be the candidate for PRESIDENT. If a white guy had her experience and record he would be at the top of the ticket. Now she's being considered in league with lesser candidates just because they are also black women. More racist humiliation for the little black girl who bused to school in the Bay Area.

If I didn't have an assurance that I was the VP pick I would have pulled myself out of consideration.

by Anonymousreply 318August 2, 2020 5:11 AM

[quote] If I am Harris, I am really pissed that I am still "vying" for VP.

That’s an odd way to phrase that. You mean, if you were Harris, you would be pissed.

by Anonymousreply 319August 2, 2020 6:56 AM

She tried for the top spot r318, and she came up short. Being VP would raise her profile for the next 4 years and give her the on the job training not to mention the inside track to go for the nomination in 2024.

If it is offered, I think she would be a fool not to take the VP position on the ticket.

I'm pretty sure she feels the same way.

by Anonymousreply 320August 2, 2020 6:57 AM

Everyone who’s been around for a while sees the scam Harris was trying to pull: cornering Biden into selecting her by generating a narrative that the only reason Bass is rising is because Biden et al still “don’t get it” and dislike ambitious women. The Dodd quote alone was innocuous: it’s the rest of the article that spun into “Dodd and Biden have a problem with ambitious women.”

Harris just happened to have a speech, days after the article blew up, to give before Black girls, wherein she plays the noble victim, promising that things will change for girls like “you and me”, that “a day will come when Black woman of ambition will break through.” (Paraphrasing). Her surrogates (supposedly a spontaneous, self-assembled group off supporters lol) leveraged the flare-up to speak to the committee directly.

It’s the most cynical scam. I’m pretty sure Dodd and Biden saw right through it. Jill and Clyburn, too. They’ve been around a while and have seen it all. I think Harris’s team thinks they pulled a great gambit and that she has the VP position secured. I think it’s very much the opposite: she’s shown to Biden et al just how cynical and destructive she can be, and would be, as VP.

The media just ran with the Politico piece, almost as if they didn’t read it critically. Dear god. I think next month it’ll be clear to them what happened. Leaks from her team will prove it. The media may choose not to cover it, out of embarrassment. In any case, it’ll be well after Biden announces his selection, who won’t be Harris.

by Anonymousreply 321August 2, 2020 7:06 AM

Floating Bass and making it seem she was rising above Harris may have been a test of Harris: to see what she’d do — whether she’d do something destructive to get her way when she felt threatened, or whether she’d be a team player. They saw what she did, and she failed the test.

President Obama probably shook his head and thought, “Ah, there’s the real Kamala. She’s hasn’t grown after all.” Maybe he talked with Biden about it, and maybe they has a laugh.

I think when you’re ahead by 10, you have some play money to run some tests that otherwise (say, up by 3) would cost too much political capital.

by Anonymousreply 322August 2, 2020 7:18 AM

Why is Biden waiting so long to announce his VP? Is this normal in the US? Wouldn't it make sense to have a very clearly established team right from the outset so voters know exactly what they're getting? This all seems like some weird reality tv show where the focus and the hype is all about who will be VP rather than discussing and focusing on actual policies. I guess both can happen at the same time but before getting out there and registering new voters and laying out a grand plan to manage the country I'd want to know exactly who the leaders are going to be. Why is there all this faffing around?

by Anonymousreply 323August 2, 2020 7:41 AM

[quote] Important to note the black electorate was NOT offended by the debate stunt Harris pulled on Biden. White candidates should be held to account for their entire record. Harris soared in the polls after that stunt so it resonated positively with many voters. It also solidified her black identity for all the "she's not black enough" crowd.

NONE OF THESE POINTS ARE TRUE

by Anonymousreply 324August 2, 2020 9:33 AM

[quote] Why is Biden waiting so long to announce his VP? Is this normal in the US? Wouldn't it make sense to have a very clearly established team right from the outset so voters know exactly what they're getting?

This not late. Obama picked Biden in late August. He was counselled to get an old white guy on the ticket so they wouldnt scare away white working-class voters. Biden was not his first choice pick.

McCain announced Palin on August 29th. He didn't want Palin but was cornered into selecting her because the RNC wanted the optics of a female candidate to go up against Obama.

Candidates often have to pick VP candidates based on pressure from party and donors. Harris would be that pick.

by Anonymousreply 325August 2, 2020 9:45 AM

I'm practicing calling "Madam Vice President Kamala Harris."

So shut the fuck up, fat Svetlana.

by Anonymousreply 326August 2, 2020 9:49 AM

Who cares who it is.

JUST GET RID OF TRUMP!

by Anonymousreply 327August 2, 2020 9:59 AM

Duckwprth and Rice know how to zing Trump.

They can out-Trump Trump with the name calling when needed.

Tucker messed with Duckworth and she didn't hold back. Cadet Bone Spurs was a phrase Duckworth created.

It takes skill. Warren's attack on Bloomberg was nasty and a character assassination. That takes gall for someone who lied about her ethnicity for advantages in academia and job opportunities. The "Pocahontas" label Trump used on her got wide exposure. It won't go away. Biden knows that.

by Anonymousreply 328August 2, 2020 10:00 AM

[quote]It takes skill. Warren's attack on Bloomberg was nasty and a character assassination.

No right minded Dem failed to applaud Warren's [italic]masterful[/italic] takedown. Even people here who hated her loved it. He needed to be taken down several pegs for trying to buy a presidency.

Biden and Sanders were no doubt thanking her for completely obliterating him.

[quote]That takes gall for someone who lied about her ethnicity for advantages in academia and job opportunities.

People far better versed than I have argued with you people continually spouting these right wing lies. You already know this is bullshit so why bother? If you don't know then your failure to do a simple google search is unforgivable.

[quote]The "Pocahontas" label Trump used on her got wide exposure.

What kind of a weird ass spin is this? "Exposure!" Like it was a good thing that she planned because she's "EVIL!"

Sorry Sanders didn't make it but you don't have to act as if she was the devil incarnate just to say you miss him.

by Anonymousreply 329August 2, 2020 12:00 PM

Fail r329. It is on record. Warren, the ex-Reganite, got soundly defeated in the primaries, including in Massachusetts.

Taking other people's spots in academia through deception is not nice.

She does have a beautiful dog.

by Anonymousreply 330August 2, 2020 12:21 PM

I don't understand how odds work but this is likeliest to least likely from "Paddypower" today

Harris 6/5; Rice 7/2; Bass 5/1; Duckworth 7/1; Warren 12/1; Demings 20/1; M. Obama 25/1; Whitmer 33/1; Hillary 50/1; Bottoms 66/1; Klobuchar 100/1; Grishman 100/1.

What did Klobuchar do again that made her drop like a lead balloon? It wasn't throwing staplers at people, was it?

by Anonymousreply 331August 2, 2020 12:35 PM

Well, they had Caitlin Jenner as least likely (along with Yang and Sally Yates at 979/1. So if you bet $1 on her, you get $979?

by Anonymousreply 332August 2, 2020 12:56 PM

[quote]Why is Biden waiting so long to announce his VP? Is this normal in the US?

He's having trouble making a decision, because all of the candidates are problematic.

by Anonymousreply 333August 2, 2020 1:27 PM

[quote]What did Klobuchar do again that made her drop like a lead balloon? It wasn't throwing staplers at people, was it?

It turns out that the cop who killed George Floyd, had been in trouble before when Klobuchar was the Minneapolis District Attorney, and she chose not to charge him with anything.

by Anonymousreply 334August 2, 2020 1:29 PM

[quote]The "Pocahontas" label Trump used on her got wide exposure. It won't go away. Biden knows that.

Everyone now knows that Trump is a racist, so he's not going to be able to throw around the "Pocahontas" label anymore without it turning more people against him. Most people honestly don't care about Warren's false claims of Native American heritage. It's been public knowledge for a long time now, she's addressed it, and she was the frontrunner during the Primary campaign at one point despite it.

by Anonymousreply 335August 2, 2020 1:33 PM

[quote]This all seems like some weird reality tv show where the focus and the hype is all about who will be VP rather than discussing and focusing on actual policies.

The only policy people care about right now is getting rid of Trump, and the VP selection plays a big role in that.

by Anonymousreply 336August 2, 2020 1:35 PM

He seems to have a lock on black voters. It’ll be ironic if he chooses Harris because every single black woman I know who cares about politics detests Harris. Like, they HATE her. One of my close friends, an older black woman, particularly hates Harris because of Harris’s attack on Biden anout busing because she saw the whole thing as a hypocritical lie and an opportunistic attack on him based on expecting the public to be ignorant about the history of busing.

by Anonymousreply 337August 2, 2020 1:41 PM

Thanks R334! Then it makes sense she's out of it.

I thought I followed politics pretty well, but I had never heard that dirt about Susan Rice - flipping Holbrook the bird; telling the French ambassador we wouldn't get involved in their shitty war; dropping f-bombs. I just thought she was this quiet wonky nonentity. She seemed very safe to me before the revelations.

If not Rice, who is "safe" electorally?

by Anonymousreply 338August 2, 2020 1:42 PM

I'm starting to think it goes back to the midwest again as the Kamala (treachery), Rice (cuntery), Bass (Scientology), and Demings (ineffectiveness) have all seemed to fail their vetting one way or another. Duckworth or Whitmer for the military/blue collar win.

by Anonymousreply 339August 2, 2020 1:56 PM

Stacy Abrams was just on CNN. I was busy typing dumb replies on another thread, but I rewound it and she gave good answers to stupid Dana Bash’s stupid questions. I want to dislike her, but can’t.

by Anonymousreply 340August 2, 2020 2:03 PM

Stacy Abrams could have a bright future, but way too soon for real consideration to be VP.

by Anonymousreply 341August 2, 2020 2:22 PM

Stacey Abrams best hope is for a Cabinet position, which would go a long way to strengthen her resume.

by Anonymousreply 342August 2, 2020 3:15 PM

Stacey Abrams would of been a good governor, but she is not ready for VP.

by Anonymousreply 343August 2, 2020 3:17 PM

In case you’d like some polling to go along with your opinions...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344August 2, 2020 3:27 PM

In case you’d like some polling to go along with your opinions...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345August 2, 2020 3:27 PM

Month old polling. Useless.

by Anonymousreply 346August 2, 2020 3:31 PM

The polls were fielded July 24th through July 26th. They were posted on July 29th. Today is August 2nd.

R346, you need to work on reading comprehension.

by Anonymousreply 347August 2, 2020 3:34 PM

Stacy Abrams should lose about 50 lbs before she could be taken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 348August 2, 2020 3:45 PM

Maybe Cluburn is giving Biden the signal that Duckworth is ok. Maybe he’ll stand by them when she’s announced

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349August 2, 2020 5:35 PM

*Clyburn

by Anonymousreply 350August 2, 2020 5:42 PM

It will be a Warren over Duckworth.

by Anonymousreply 351August 2, 2020 5:44 PM

I don’t really know much about Duckworth except her obvious physical characteristics and her veteran status.

I know Kamala is a diversity advocate but also has the mind of an aggressive prosecutor.

I feel like I know the most about Warren and, yes, I am convinced she “has plans for that.” And honestly, given that Biden will be her president, her plans may be needed.

by Anonymousreply 352August 2, 2020 5:51 PM

The Scottish teens placing bets are clueless.

by Anonymousreply 353August 2, 2020 5:52 PM

Warren could be chief economic advisor or Treasury Secretary. She’ll have far more impact on administering the economy than as VP. But I hope she stays in the Senate. Too costly, losing a seat even temporarily.

by Anonymousreply 354August 2, 2020 5:54 PM

[quote]I know Kamala is a diversity advocate but also has the mind of an aggressive prosecutor.

Biden's camp has to be aware that every single case she was involved in will be thrown at her as soon as she announced. The press wants clicks. They won't be kind to her or any candidate.

[quote]I feel like I know the most about Warren and, yes, I am convinced she “has plans for that.” And honestly, given that Biden will be her president, her plans may be needed.

People are always saying that they don't have a good relationship. That was absolutely true at one point but he has been working with her non-stop since the primary whether it's writing articles together or fundraising. Even if she isn't VP, I have no doubt she'll end up working in a high profile role in his administration. She has been an invaluable part of the Dems plight in dealing with our current economic issues due to COVID and has gotten the credit for it.

He hasn't allowed her to fade into the background like his other former opponents. Warren and Harris have continually been front and center.

by Anonymousreply 355August 2, 2020 6:10 PM

If it is true that Biden has an absolute lock on most black voters, then choosing Warren might be safe for him—but in this climate, an all-white ticket (and particularly Warren’s ‘problematic’ false claim to being Native American) will definitely set aflame passions among a lot of Bernie types who may defect and do something stupid like writing in Sanders. The super-progressive left voters are likely to go ballistic and engage in self-sabotage if we end up with two white boomers instead of Old Joe and an heir apparent of color. I think it’s a real concern—and weirdly, I think it’s more of a concern among young white millennials and zoomers than it is among black voters.

by Anonymousreply 356August 2, 2020 6:18 PM

Based on R344's poll, I'll choose Team Rice.

They're all starting to seem equal to me - so pick the one who polls best.

by Anonymousreply 357August 2, 2020 6:23 PM

Dodd should have kept his fucking mouth shut with the "She's too ambitious" shit. Women may not like Harris, but also don't like being patronized either. All his stupid and pointless comments have done is create unnecessary division within the party. And it shows a cluelessness with these old white men, who clearly don't understand how society is changing its views towards women AND minorities. Given that the VP search is all women, and given Biden's rocky relationship with women in the past, this shit should have been air tight and sealed. And if any negative information came out, Biden should have personally stomped it out immediately. Again, I don't know why his team is allowing this shit to fester in the media with no comment from him.

And stop trotting Clyburn out to clean up his mess. Black people aren't stupid as to THAT game either. It's up to Biden and Biden only to explain why he chose the woman he chose. If he doesn't want to choose a black woman, then he and only he can explain why.

by Anonymousreply 358August 2, 2020 6:27 PM

[quote]Dodd should have kept his fucking mouth shut with the "She's too ambitious" shit.

Those comments were probably said in private and to people he thought were on the same side (trying to find the best running mate for Joe). Someone leaked the information to Kamala who had the information leaked to the press. Kamala also probably made sure that the Bass comments about Cuba and Scientology got new attention.

by Anonymousreply 359August 2, 2020 6:32 PM

R357, take a closer look. One tweet showing favorability numbers don’t tell the whole story.

Harris: 37 favorable, 41 unfavorable

[quote] Half of voters have heard of Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.) — a veteran, double amputee and prominent voice in the party on military issues — and 45 percent have heard of Bottoms. While few voters have formed views on either woman, Duckworth and Bottoms were more popular than their lesser-known peers, and were viewed more favorably by independent voters and those who live in the suburbs.

Full picture at the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360August 2, 2020 6:33 PM

* doesn’t tell

by Anonymousreply 361August 2, 2020 6:33 PM

Russian interference is kicking into high gear. They are stirring up this shit. This thread for example.

by Anonymousreply 362August 2, 2020 6:35 PM

R358, he never even said that. Read the actual article. Think critically.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363August 2, 2020 6:36 PM

R344 is a dummy. Here’s the actual poll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364August 2, 2020 6:37 PM

Dodd never uttered the phrase “She’s to ambitious” or even the word “ambitious” in reference to Harris. Look at the actual and only words quoted in the second paragraph (second hand, by the way):

[quote] When former Sen. Chris Dodd, a member of Joe Biden’s vice presidential search committee, recently asked Kamala Harris about her ambush on Biden in the first Democratic debate, Dodd was stunned by her response.

[quote] “She laughed and said, ‘that’s politics.’ She had no remorse,” Dodd told a longtime Biden supporter and donor, who relayed the exchange to POLITICO on condition of anonymity.

You’re falling for the spin. You’re being common.

But then, I went to better schools than you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365August 2, 2020 6:41 PM

*Look at the actual and only words (quoted in the second paragraph) (second hand, by the way):

by Anonymousreply 366August 2, 2020 6:43 PM

Dodd's poutrage is over Harris having "no remorse" over her statements to Biden. Funny, in how all the years that men have been tearing each other down on that debate stage and going absolutely vicious with each other over every bit of policy and position, somehow when a black woman takes issue with something a white man has said, it's all of a sudden a big deal that there was no apology given for what she did. And that she hasn't expressed "remorse" for debating? For doing her job?

Interesting.

Why is that same logic not applied to Biden's equally vicious attacks on Buttigieg's experience as a mayor? No different from Palin and Republicans attacks on Obama's "community organizer" experience in 2008? Biden hasn't shown any remorse for that? Yet that's not a big deal at all.

Furthermore, did people ever take Biden to task for saying that Barack Obama had no experience running for President? Did Biden ever formally and publicly apologize to Obama or admit he was wrong when he said that Obama wasn't equipped to deal with foreign policy? Was Biden forced to express remorse before he accepted the VP position?

Was his loyalty ever called ONCE into question?

Don't bother supplying the answers to any. We know you don't have them.

You talk about schools, well obviously they didn't teach you what sexism is. Among other things.

by Anonymousreply 367August 2, 2020 6:52 PM

Bottoms shouldn't even be brought up, she is just a mayor and not ready to take over the presidency, not to mention her name.

by Anonymousreply 368August 2, 2020 6:54 PM

Look who was gracious enough to forgive and forget.

Dodd (and perhaps Biden if he feels this way) should take a lesson from Barack's playbook.

Class dismissed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369August 2, 2020 6:59 PM

Let’s not forget how hard Obama and Clinton fought each other in 2008. Who was Obama’s Secretary of State? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Chris Dodd is an old white misogynistic dinosaur. FUCK HIM!

by Anonymousreply 370August 2, 2020 7:20 PM

I am a woman from Connecticut and I could care less what Dodd says about Harris. I couldn’t stand Harris way before any of this happened. I think she’s a bitch and I think Dr. Jill Biden agrees with me from everything I’ve read.

Team Rice or Warren.

by Anonymousreply 371August 2, 2020 8:00 PM

I have two main worries about Rice:

1.- Fox News will become Benghazi 24/7 News Channel

2.- She has no political experience and has never run a campaign. She’s always been a career official, not an elected one.

by Anonymousreply 372August 2, 2020 8:12 PM

My main worry about Rice is she comes across as arrogant, smug and elitist. For the type of cabinet jobs she’s had before, it doesn’t matter. Most of those people are really smart and wonky, and they’re like that. But if people cringe at your lack of empathy every time you open your mouth, it’s bad for the ticket. P’s and VP’s are supposed to be likable. Especially VPs.

The difference between a cabinet position and a VP is like the difference between a surgeon and a GP. Surgeons are all on the spectrum and terrible with people, but really smart and skilled at their specialty. Fortunately they don’t have to talk to patients much. GPs have to smile at babies, comfort soccer moms with sick kids and reassure people.

Biden = GP

Rice = surgeon

He needs to pick another GP.

by Anonymousreply 373August 2, 2020 8:18 PM

Why isn't Dianne Feinstein being considered, is it because she is Jewish?

by Anonymousreply 374August 2, 2020 8:27 PM

The Republicans will bring up Benghazi 24/7 every time Rice is mentioned. And most people associate Benghazi with Hillary. And Biden would be smart to not do anything that reminds people of Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 375August 2, 2020 8:49 PM

Dianne Feinstein is 87 years old.

by Anonymousreply 376August 2, 2020 9:19 PM

Tatiana @ r371 was very clever to add the detail that all CT women refer to Joe's wife as Dr. Jill

by Anonymousreply 377August 2, 2020 9:26 PM

Honestly, it doesn’t matter. It’s Evil versus Not Trump. That’s the choice. Just fucking pick someone, Biden. This year of campaigning has been fucking irritating as hell. Biden was pre-selected for us by the Democratic party and the media even though the public did not like him at all in primary debates and that is fine. It’s done. Let’s move on, lock in the ticket and pray to God our elections are not entirely corrupt.

by Anonymousreply 378August 2, 2020 9:38 PM

You can't spend your life worried about Fox News and I think the experience question is bogus and seems to only be reserved for people from minority groups, it really does get exhausting.

Biden could pick the most ready, the most experienced, the most capable running mate ever, and Fox News would still have a ton of shit to throw at them, because that is what Fox News does. You gotta let that shit go.

by Anonymousreply 379August 2, 2020 9:48 PM

I don't think someone who has never shown the slightest interest in domestic policy should be president or vice president. I'm glad Susan Rice is a skilled international negotiator, and maybe she should be Secretary of State. But having no background in anything outside foreign policy is a problem for me.

by Anonymousreply 380August 2, 2020 11:23 PM

From article at r364.

[quote]..., and about half say it’s important that Biden’s running mate is younger than him.

Well, that eliminates Maxine Waters and Diane Feinstein.

by Anonymousreply 381August 3, 2020 12:38 AM

[quote] He seems to have a lock on black voters. It’ll be ironic if he chooses Harris because every single black woman I know who cares about politics detests Harris. Like, they HATE her. One of my close friends, an older black woman, particularly hates Harris because of Harris’s attack on Biden anout busing because she saw the whole thing as a hypocritical lie and an opportunistic attack on him based on expecting the public to be ignorant about the history of busing.

This is a lie. You do not have any close friends. And you do not know any Black women who don't like Harris for the reason you've stated. Black women will vote for Kamala Harris as if she were Michelle Obama, Oprah and Beyonce all rolled into one.

by Anonymousreply 382August 3, 2020 3:55 AM

[quote] He seems to have a lock on black voters. It’ll be ironic if he chooses Harris because every single black woman I know who cares about politics detests Harris. Like, they HATE her. One of my close friends, an older black woman, particularly hates Harris because of Harris’s attack on Biden anout busing because she saw the whole thing as a hypocritical lie and an opportunistic attack on him based on expecting the public to be ignorant about the history of busing.

This is a lie. You do not have any close friends. And you do not know any Black women who don't like Harris for the reason you've stated. Black women will vote for Kamala Harris as if she were Michelle Obama, Oprah and Beyonce all rolled into one.

by Anonymousreply 383August 3, 2020 3:55 AM

Kamala listens. Miss Lindz telling her about the ladybugs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384August 3, 2020 10:45 AM

"My goodness, Lindsey, you are really telling me that Trump thingy is very short and mushroom headed"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385August 3, 2020 10:55 AM

Multiple sources including Costas' remarks on Morning Joe, express the top VP prospects are down to Harris, Rice, and Bass.

by Anonymousreply 386August 3, 2020 11:44 AM

Who's Costas, R386?

by Anonymousreply 387August 3, 2020 1:28 PM

I still don't understand why anyone cares??? Who gives a fuck who the VP is. The VP could be a drover's dog or a rabid squirrel for all I care...

Isn't getting rid of Trump the main issue?

Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 388August 3, 2020 1:34 PM

After 4 years of Trump, we're all getting antsy and a little loco.

Can you imagine our mental health if we get 4 more?

by Anonymousreply 389August 3, 2020 1:39 PM

R387, probably Robert Costa from the Washington Post.

by Anonymousreply 390August 3, 2020 1:43 PM

R388, people care I think because we want to see who we might be seeing on TV all the time for four or so years, maybe fewer if Biden dies, in which case she'll be president.

Also, if he picks "incorrectly", it could ruin things: not with us, but with marginal voters (i.e., independents in the swing states). It seems impossible, but if he picks say, someone who evokes Hillary, it's possible that it'll weigh Biden down and make things harder.

I think Stacey Abrams really opened the door to what we're seeing, this horserace, where candidates are doing media appearances and writing pieces for opinion pages. It may have been quieter.

R390, Costa said this morning it's Rice, Harris, and Bass, but not necessarily in that order. You left out Rice.

by Anonymousreply 391August 3, 2020 1:44 PM

*It may have been quieter if she hadn't started the trend of actively lobbying on TV, etc.

by Anonymousreply 392August 3, 2020 1:46 PM

Biden needs that "personal rapport" with his VP - doesn't that mean it has to be Rice?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393August 3, 2020 1:56 PM

R393, Rice would be a horrible choice. Just no charism or likability. He would crush a lot of enthusiasm with her.

by Anonymousreply 394August 3, 2020 2:01 PM

R390 right. r387. Robert Costa, political reporter for the WP.

I missed indicating association.

by Anonymousreply 395August 3, 2020 2:04 PM

R391 - I just don't care who it is. Anyone but Trump.

I would be fucking thrilled to vote for a rabid squirrel or a drover's dog or a MacDonald's burger wrapper...

ANYONE could better job than Trump. We have to get rid of the GOP or we're fucked and I see us all dividing like the GOP want us to do.

by Anonymousreply 396August 3, 2020 2:05 PM

After what Harris did last week, if Biden selects Harris, it tells me that he'll be a pushover when it comes to gender and race issues. It tells me he'll swing way left if the progressive wing gets its messaging right, where it can make everything about victimhood, race, and gender. Obviously, I wouldn't like that, though I know some here would.

However, one good thing (from my perspective) will be likely if she becomes VP and the nation truly gets to know her: Harris will end up hated by the majority of the nation. She's already 34%-33% unfavorable (link). She'll never be president. She may get the nomination in 2024, but I don't think she'll win even with demographic change occurring in between now and 2024.

I hope to god he picks Demings, Duckworth, or Lujan Grisham. Demings is probably safest, since he'll be crucified by the media and some Black activists if he doesn't pick a Black woman. I think Demings and Duckworth are equally valuable with regard to Florida (Demings b/c she's a resident, and Duckworth because FL has 1.5 million vets).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397August 3, 2020 2:07 PM

R393, I think so. He can't trust Harris, after the Politico piece-speech-conference call move last week. She proved exactly what kind of VP she would be, and what her surrogates would be like, and it wasn't good.

by Anonymousreply 398August 3, 2020 2:10 PM

R396, I understand that you don't care, and that you'll vote Biden no matter what. I was just replying to your question regarding why anyone even cares who he picks for VP at this point. He'll lose and gain marginal voters from his pick, with the possibility that he'll lose more than he'll gain, and that could make things harder in a few states.

by Anonymousreply 399August 3, 2020 2:12 PM

The three named are black women with considerable experience.

Keisha Bottoms, Mayor of Atlanta, has her hands full right now. She doesn't have any state-wide or federal experience yet. Good future potential.

Val Demings is in her only second term in Congress. Her prior experience was local to Orlando as Police Chief.

Biden is big on experience and people well-seasoned politically.

by Anonymousreply 400August 3, 2020 2:15 PM

Trump et al are hoping for someone with higher unfavorables than Biden.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401August 3, 2020 2:21 PM

If Demings is selected, everything she did as police chief will be under the microscope, every thing that happened with Orlando PD would be torn apart. BLM would be rabid

by Anonymousreply 402August 3, 2020 2:22 PM

Rep. Jim Clyburn, a Biden whisperer who helped engineer his nomination win, distilled Biden's thinking into three words:

"The decision will be based upon three things and three things only: vetting, polling and, as Joe Biden would put it, who's 'simpatico' with him," he said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403August 3, 2020 2:22 PM

I'm surprised that some think a big name like Warren or Harris will help him win. I would think you'd want someone relatively unknown, so that you can position her "brand" as you wish from the start. Cf. a big name, where there's already polarized opinions about her. You'd focus-group test the relatively unknown person to make sure that the campaign's positioning messages can stick (i.e., that when individuals learn about her, they're more likely than not to view her positively with the right marketing).

A big name may mobilize her fan base to vote for her, but a big name also has those who dislike her as passionately. Warren's and Harris's unfavorables are higher than their favorables (Warren's are outside the margin of error), and at this point it's hard to reposition their brands to win people over: the most accessible segment of the market (those with no opinion and/or those who don't know of them) is smaller given that they're well-known.

It's basic extremely basic business school marketing stuff.

by Anonymousreply 404August 3, 2020 2:31 PM

The latest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405August 3, 2020 2:53 PM

National polling on the VP is too slanted. Warren & Harris have much name recognition because they were presidential candidates. Susan Rice is known by educated voters who followed fairly closely the foreign policy of the Obama administration.

Others have risen in familiarity due to recent TV coverage, the protests, the pandemic, and the impeachment hearings.

by Anonymousreply 406August 3, 2020 2:56 PM

2 hours ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407August 3, 2020 2:59 PM

Well if he's intimidated by Harris and still holding a grudge over something that he himself has done to his fellow politicians, then I can't figure out how Warren would fair any better, given how she doesn't hold back either.

It's really a shame if it comes down to this being a requirement because the VP is going to have to run as President next term. And you would rather have someone who is an effective leader first and foremost as opposed to a woman who can't make waves and who knows how to appease a mans ego.

by Anonymousreply 408August 3, 2020 3:00 PM

And if a woman pulled this shit, she would be ripped to shreds by the press for letting her emotions get in the way of doing her job.

Just pick the best fucking person.

by Anonymousreply 409August 3, 2020 3:02 PM

R408, which of the top 5 would you say are "effective leaders"?

by Anonymousreply 410August 3, 2020 3:02 PM

[quote] Meanwhile, a group of prominent Black clergy leaders are warning Biden that there's "no substitute for a Black woman" on the ticket, after a range of progressive groups put down similar markers.

They've stated their boundaries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411August 3, 2020 3:12 PM

Purple suit?

by Anonymousreply 412August 3, 2020 3:12 PM

R412, that's been discussed to death. It's not purple. We saw video: it's a dark blue. The image is badly edited.

by Anonymousreply 413August 3, 2020 3:15 PM

I wish that he could just pick Pete a be done with it.

by Anonymousreply 414August 3, 2020 3:29 PM

[quote]which of the top 5 would you say are "effective leaders"?

Warren, Harris, Duckworth, and Rice are the best choices. If he goes with anybody else at this point, I think it's going to be a letdown with shades of Tim Kaine. And I do think some will question whether Biden chose a lesser name so they wouldn't outshine him.

He never should have said he was going to have a woman as VP to begin with. He should have said his cabinet was going to be diverse and leave it at that. Buttigieg, Booker and Castro would have been excellent choices as well.

by Anonymousreply 415August 3, 2020 3:39 PM

[quote] Warren, Harris, Duckworth, and Rice are the best choices.

Which are the most polarizing?

by Anonymousreply 416August 3, 2020 3:41 PM

Warren and Rice are most polarizing

by Anonymousreply 417August 3, 2020 3:47 PM

None of them should be polarizing to democrats. Why would they be?

If they're polarizing to Republicans, then good. Why would you be upset about that?

by Anonymousreply 418August 3, 2020 3:48 PM

[quote] After what Harris did last week, if Biden selects Harris, it tells me that he'll be a pushover when it comes to gender and race issues. It tells me he'll swing way left if the progressive wing gets its messaging right, where it can make everything about victimhood, race, and gender. Obviously, I wouldn't like that, though I know some here would.

Harris is not part of the progressive wing of the party. However, most only look at her gender and her race and ascribe that ideology. Politically, she aligns with Biden PERFECTLY. Just stick to your racist Deplorable talking pounts, we hear you and we don't care.

by Anonymousreply 419August 3, 2020 3:55 PM

[quote] After what Harris did last week, if Biden selects Harris, it tells me that he'll be a pushover when it comes to gender and race issues. It tells me he'll swing way left if the progressive wing gets its messaging right, where it can make everything about victimhood, race, and gender. Obviously, I wouldn't like that, though I know some here would.

Harris is not part of the progressive wing of the party. However, most only look at her gender and her race and ascribe that ideology. Politically, she aligns with Biden PERFECTLY. Just stick to your racist Deplorable talking pounts, we hear you and we don't care.

by Anonymousreply 420August 3, 2020 3:55 PM

R418, I was thinking it might matter if they're polarizing to non-Democratic voters. Maybe the latter, if they have strong negative feelings towards one of them, might vote Republican in opposition to her, and/or it might motivate people to vote Republican who otherwise wouldn't. Favorables would do the opposite of course.

by Anonymousreply 421August 3, 2020 4:00 PM

Yep, we’re tryin to win swing voters and independents

by Anonymousreply 422August 3, 2020 4:02 PM

R420, Duckworth aligns perfectly. Harris differs on many fronts, including decriminalizing the border and Medicare for All (well, Harris wavers on the latter, sometimes saying she wants private insurance eliminated and sometimes not).

Also. I said I'd like Demings: she's a Black woman. Race has nothing to do with it. Ruthless and destructive self-promotion (like last week's gambit) is the problem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423August 3, 2020 4:04 PM

yeah, I get what you're saying r421. I still lean toward vice presidential picks don't make a big difference, but I guess they can. I doubt the Kaine pick made much difference, except maybe slightly confirm the impression that Hillary was so safe, so centrist, so poll tested that she would not go out on a limb and pick a more interesting running mate. I do believe Sarah Palin must have made a difference to people who otherwise might have liked John McCain. But seeing him pick such an unqualified dingbat must have moved some voters away from him, I would think.

by Anonymousreply 424August 3, 2020 4:11 PM

It should be Liz Warren. Kamala is a glad handing panderer. A graduate from The Hillary Clinton School of Cryptic Doublespeak.

Don’t fuck this up, Joe.

by Anonymousreply 425August 3, 2020 4:15 PM

For the 1000th time, whoever Biden picks as VP as not real effect on how people vote. It literally just gives people who are bored something new to talk about.

by Anonymousreply 426August 3, 2020 4:18 PM

[quote]For the 1000th time

Yup, noticed that.

Maybe you could shut up already? Some listened. Some didn't.

by Anonymousreply 427August 3, 2020 4:21 PM

And for the 1000th time, the VP is going to do all the heavy lifting this time out, so it does make a huge difference whom he picks.

by Anonymousreply 428August 3, 2020 4:21 PM

Dodd needs to have several seats

by Anonymousreply 429August 3, 2020 4:30 PM

[quote] Also. I said I'd like Demings: she's a Black woman. Race has nothing to do with it. Ruthless and destructive self-promotion (like last week's gambit) is the problem.

First, there was no "gambit" last week. It is all innuendo and allegations by the anti-Harris contingent. No evidence that Harris did anything.

Second, you want "ruthless" if you have to deal with a Senate where Tea Party/Deplorable morons like McConnell, Cotton and Cruz are going to be working against you. If those f*ckers come at her like they did Obama she'll have all of Cotton's grindr hook-ups testifying under oath within a week.

Hell hath no fury...

by Anonymousreply 430August 3, 2020 5:08 PM

I really do worry about anyone untested, anyone just new on the scene. There will be something, always something, and it will be dragged out and our stupid, useless, sensationalist media will make much too much of it and pretend it all matters so, so much. Did you see that shit with Chuck Todd and Cuba on Meet the Press. OMG, somebody went to Cuba a million years ago and didn't spend the whole time shrieking and howling about how EEEVILLLL Castro is!

by Anonymousreply 431August 3, 2020 5:11 PM

[quote] First, there was no "gambit" last week. It is all innuendo and allegations by the anti-Harris contingent. No evidence that Harris did anything.

My, you’re naive. I take it that you’re a child? Or are you a slow adult?

There’s ruthlessness against one’s enemies, and there’s ruthlessness against one’s own comrades for advancement. The latter is destructive and disqualifying. .

by Anonymousreply 432August 3, 2020 5:16 PM

Joe Biden is the one that has to work with this person for four years and try to sort out this mess that they’re left with by Trump. Biden has repeatedly said he needs it to be someone that he is comfortable with and that’s on the same page with him. All this crap about personalities and looks and charisma and all this other bullshit is ridiculous. I doubt that a man would have to go through all the shit that these women are going through. If he’s comfortable with Susan Rice and he knows that he can trust her then so be it. These Republicans and their criticisms whether it’s Benghazi or whatever the hell else they want to talk about - I say fuck them! Why are we so afraid of them? Hopefully most of them lose along with Trump so who gives a shit what they think.

by Anonymousreply 433August 3, 2020 5:37 PM

Damn I can't wait for school to start back up again, so that school teachers will have less time to post their pipe dreams of Warren as the VP pick

by Anonymousreply 434August 3, 2020 5:39 PM

Winning swing states Should be the highest priority now, even if it means catering to the immovable prejudice of voters there. We work with the voters we have, not the ones we wish we had.

by Anonymousreply 435August 3, 2020 6:03 PM

[quote] Damn I can't wait for school to start back up again, so that school teachers will have less time to post their pipe dreams of Warren as the VP pick

There’s also the Association of Old Scolds

by Anonymousreply 436August 3, 2020 6:29 PM

[quote] “Ultimatums are not good,” Clyburn said. “I’m not going to tell the vice president what he must do.” He warned that pushing Biden too hard can backfire. “Nobody wants to be forced,” Clyburn said.

[quote] Others are taking a far different approach in the final days. The Rev. William Barber, a leader of the Poor People’s Campaign, and roughly 50 other leading Black clergy members sent an open letter to Biden’s campaign Friday “insisting” that he select a Black woman.

[quote] “We are writing to caution the Democratic party that it takes Black enthusiasm, the key determinant for turnout, for granted at its own peril” according to the letter, which predicts that a Democratic ticket that includes a Black woman will result in Black turnout that exceeds Obama’s numbers in that community.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437August 3, 2020 6:54 PM

NEW THIS AM: @JoeBiden increases Texas staff and resources in bid to win Lone Star State.

Kamala plays better in Texas, Arizona and Florida much better than Hillary 2.0(aka Elizabeth Warren).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438August 3, 2020 7:01 PM

Re R438, Hillary's campaign did the same, but near election day, neglecting Michigan and Wisconsin. 2016 isn't 2020, but it's just something I noticed: Dems are desperate to win Texas every election.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439August 3, 2020 7:11 PM

Vote ASAP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440August 3, 2020 7:55 PM

Please read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441August 3, 2020 8:05 PM

yeah, it will happen eventually, but I really hope nobody is counting on it in 2020 r439

by Anonymousreply 442August 3, 2020 8:15 PM

Texas is the new El Dorado

by Anonymousreply 443August 3, 2020 9:10 PM

I'm now leaning towards Rice. Kamala's stunt queening is not a good look. All that aside, Trump has fucked up our foreign relations and position in the world, Rice has the credentials to start cleaning up all of the foreign messes, plus put Putin in check.

by Anonymousreply 444August 3, 2020 11:27 PM

r414, what makes you think that Pete is anywhere as qualified as some of these women? Because he's white?

Enough. It's not going to be a man. Get over it.

If Pete wants to be considered so badly he needs to become a trans woman.

by Anonymousreply 445August 3, 2020 11:40 PM

Liz & Lindz on 2018 mideast trip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446August 4, 2020 7:57 AM

Duckworth doesn't always use a wheelchair. She can walk using a cane. My only beef with her is that she doesn't support the minimum wage being $15/hr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447August 4, 2020 8:30 AM

The only one I don't want is Kamala and I'm from California.

Warren is my first pick for VP. Warren's DNA was tested against indigenous South Americans NOT Cherokees. Cherokees do not allow their blood to be donated for testing by ancestry companies.

by Anonymousreply 448August 4, 2020 8:39 AM

Not a fan of Harris for many of the reasons she failed as a presidential candidate, but I will take her before Susan Rice. She would automatically bring Benghazi and Hillary into the campaign, and that may be a problem for independent voters.

by Anonymousreply 449August 4, 2020 8:52 AM

In Warren's autobiography, the chapters where she spoke of growing up in Oklahoma and dealing with prejudice, echoed what my late mother experienced growing up in Oklahoma. My mother's dad was an orphan in Indian Territory. His father was a Black Irish army officer and his mother was thought to be Cherokee.

I believe Warren is Cherokee. Rather than blasting Warren, Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation, Chuck Hoskin, Jr. should test HIS blood against Warren's blood. I want my blood tested, too!

by Anonymousreply 450August 4, 2020 8:54 AM

Stacey Abrams most definitely caused this with her blatant campaigning for the post. It has never been as contested and contentious as it is now.

by Anonymousreply 451August 4, 2020 11:55 AM

Talked to a group of my black Millennial friends last night. They either wanted Kamala or Keisha, but they all said no way to Warren. They said she is not likable or charismatic and doesn’t appeal to young black voters.

by Anonymousreply 452August 4, 2020 12:13 PM

I like Keisha Bottoms very much. I like her much more than Bass or Rice.

by Anonymousreply 453August 4, 2020 12:38 PM

I don't particularly care, except I think Rice is a bad pick. Too much of a tie to Hillary, we need to move on, not give the media a reason to just talk about Clinton.

by Anonymousreply 454August 4, 2020 12:58 PM

Give it up. Warren was not born a papoose in a teepee on the Oklahoma plains and survived, unknowingly, a smallpox contaminated blanket given to her as a gift from George White Eyes. Her parents didn't name her "Leaping Fawn".

Try the Dust Bowl next.

by Anonymousreply 455August 4, 2020 1:39 PM

No Warren

by Anonymousreply 456August 4, 2020 1:54 PM

[quote]except I think Rice is a bad pick. Too much of a tie to Hillary,

Rice actually comes off as a black Hillary, personalitywise. Now, if Condoleeza Rice was a Democrat, with the right policies, she'd be a no-brainer.

by Anonymousreply 457August 4, 2020 1:54 PM

R447, she's a soldier who follows orders, and the Biden-Sanders economic pact says a $15 national minimum wage is an objective. It's incorporated into the platform. She will do whatever she's assigned to make that happen, because she's loyal and follows orders.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 458August 4, 2020 1:55 PM

Yeah, while Rice is brilliant, I don’t see her as very politically charismatic. She’s an intellectual who seems not to fit in with the beer-chugging, Yuck yucking, church going culture of swing states.

by Anonymousreply 459August 4, 2020 1:56 PM

Still surprised that there are some people who think it would be a good idea to have Biden-Bottoms 2020 t-shirts and signs on their front lawns

by Anonymousreply 460August 4, 2020 2:03 PM

[quote]Winning swing states Should be the highest priority now, even if it means catering to the immovable prejudice of voters there. We work with the voters we have, not the ones we wish we had.

If winning swing states is the highest priority, then Klobuchar should be the nominee. Obviously the DNC has decided that Black voters are a higher priority than the swing states.

by Anonymousreply 461August 5, 2020 12:45 AM

R461, I agree, except I’d say the same about Duckworth, who won’t be picked either. Because she’s the wrong race.

by Anonymousreply 462August 5, 2020 12:49 AM

[quote]Others are taking a far different approach in the final days. The Rev. William Barber, a leader of the Poor People’s Campaign, and roughly 50 other leading Black clergy members sent an open letter to Biden’s campaign Friday “insisting” that he select a Black woman.

These "Poor People" need to take several seats and let Joe Biden choose whoever he wants.

by Anonymousreply 463August 5, 2020 12:53 AM

I just want someone as VP who has the best chance of getting Joe Biden elected. We need to get Trump out

by Anonymousreply 464August 5, 2020 1:02 AM

I don’t think Biden likes Kamala. I can’t stand her either and I’m from LA.

by Anonymousreply 465August 5, 2020 1:49 AM

Putin won't like Susan Rice responding to his behavior. She's dealt with his shit before and knows effective ways to counter him. It will be a new day for Vlady, and it won't be sunshine.

I don't care whether or not a VP is pretty, their racial identity, or how charming she may be.

Trump is a crowd charmer, a con man, dyes himself orange and thinks that's pretty.

by Anonymousreply 466August 5, 2020 1:59 AM

Putin won't like Susan Rice responding to his behavior. She's dealt with his shit before and knows effective ways to counter him. It will be a new day for Vlady, and it won't be sunshine.

I don't care whether or not a VP is pretty, their racial identity, or how charming she may be.

Trump is a crowd charmer, a con man, dyes himself orange and thinks that's pretty.

by Anonymousreply 467August 5, 2020 1:59 AM

Rice has also dealt with pandemics before.

by Anonymousreply 468August 5, 2020 2:07 AM

and he won't like Biden reacting to his behavior either, r467. Why does everyone think that if it's Rice it will be some big change of policy. They are locked arm in arm, in other words duplicates and completely redundant.

by Anonymousreply 469August 5, 2020 2:14 AM

[quote] [R447], she's a soldier who follows orders, and the Biden-Sanders economic pact says a $15 national minimum wage is an objective. It's incorporated into the platform. She will do whatever she's assigned to make that happen, because she's loyal and follows order

Yes, Dear, following orders is great but we need to make things happen. Academics with no legislative experience do not make things happen. Even Obama fell into the trap of thinking he could reason with those Tea Party nutjobs by dazzling them with his even-tempered brilliance and soaring oration.

The Republican klansmen cannot be reasoned with. We need a VP who walks into the room ready for the smackdown -- armed with birth records of underage Cuban "wards", bank records showing payments to rentboys, military discharge records, and photos of an old closeted homo exposing his "ladybugs" to the world.

Who you gonna call?

by Anonymousreply 470August 5, 2020 4:31 AM

R470, I was referring to Duckworth but I see your point.

by Anonymousreply 471August 5, 2020 5:14 AM

[quote]The Republican klansmen cannot be reasoned with. We need a VP who walks into the room ready for the smackdown -- armed with birth records of underage Cuban "wards", bank records showing payments to rentboys, military discharge records, and photos of an old closeted homo exposing his "ladybugs" to the world.

Warren, Harris, and Duckworth all fit this bill.

by Anonymousreply 472August 5, 2020 6:57 AM

Wow. Harris was a sure thing just last week.

by Anonymousreply 473August 5, 2020 1:54 PM

Black people are pivotal in swing states. You lose Michigan, Virginia, North Carolina, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania is black voters don’t turn out in Obama fashion. See 2016

by Anonymousreply 474August 5, 2020 2:01 PM

Down to Kamala and Rice. The Khive have champaign on ice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475August 5, 2020 10:44 PM

Rice is a terrible choice. No charisma and BENGAZI!!!!

by Anonymousreply 476August 6, 2020 12:39 AM

Harris!

by Anonymousreply 477August 6, 2020 1:06 AM

Kinda obvious that this was done to get the feedback of the public.

by Anonymousreply 478August 6, 2020 1:08 AM

I don’t mind Harris as VP but I don’t want her as VP when Biden kicks it

by Anonymousreply 479August 6, 2020 1:14 AM

Although Rice would be my pick, I’d be surprised if it wasn’t Harris, the safest choice.

by Anonymousreply 480August 6, 2020 1:51 AM

Rice can't carry the Party in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 481August 6, 2020 4:24 AM

Suddenly, blacks like Kamala?

by Anonymousreply 482August 6, 2020 4:29 AM

[quote] Suddenly, blacks like Kamala?

Suddenly?! When did we not like Kamala?

by Anonymousreply 483August 6, 2020 1:42 PM

Could have picked me, cunts. Moderate America's favorite outsider Dem! But nooooo you're happy with Polynesian and Hindu erasure!

Even Kamala is okay with that since she now pretends to be Kammy from the Hood rather than named after a damn plant in Hindi like me. Soul sucking wench!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 484August 6, 2020 2:42 PM

Anyone but warren

by Anonymousreply 485August 6, 2020 2:45 PM

R483 when you didn'tsupport her Presidential campaign and she couldn't get to the first primary and dropped out.

by Anonymousreply 486August 6, 2020 3:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!