Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Vanity Fair: Pennsylvania White Working Class Women Sticking with Trump

But the bingo players at St. Andrew and their counterparts in their key region of Pennsylvania may be unexpectedly resistant. In this historically Democratic bastion, where coal once ruled and black-and-white photos of JFK still adorn walls, women who voted for Trump show few signs of wavering. They applaud his brusque demeanor, or they don’t. They support his right-wing policies, or they don’t. It doesn’t matter. They think Democrats have persecuted him without justification, believe he’s doing everything possible to combat COVID-19, and generally support his “law-and-order” response to what are likely the most pervasive protests in U.S. history. They have faith that he has the business acumen to reinvigorate the economy. Mainly, they have faith in him. They support Trump because they like him. Actually, the word many of them use is “love.” The reason is simple: He speaks to them, not down to them, eschewing words like “eschew.” While his life experience as a New York playboy-celebrity rich kid is wholly different from their own, they feel he’s one of them. “I am 110% Trump. I love him,” Barbara Bono said as she set up her bingo cards. “I love the way he talks. I understand him more than any other president. This whole place is Trump,” she said, sweeping her arm across the room as women around her nodded. Bono, a 63-year-old retired Lord & Taylor warehouse worker, is precisely the kind of voter Joe Biden’s campaign hopes to win over: She’s a registered Democrat and former union member who never voted Republican before casting a ballot for Trump. She is Catholic, like so many in these parts, but supports abortion rights. She thought Bill Clinton was a “wonderful” president and didn’t care for George W. Bush. She voted for Obama in 2008, but sat out the election of 2012 because, she said, his Affordable Care Act drove up her health insurance costs. Still, she didn’t support Obama’s GOP opponent, Mitt Romney, another rich guy who, it must be noted, speaks nothing like her. “I love the way he talks! Crazy Nancy!” Bono said, echoing the president’s nickname for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, the highest-ranking elected woman officeholder in the history of the United States. “I love it. He is up early in the morning...He’s always talking to the American people. He’s all about our country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146August 3, 2020 3:39 PM

Because they’re dumb cunts.

by Anonymousreply 1July 29, 2020 11:55 AM

They are the unmovable white uneducated folks that make up the rock solid deplorable base.

No surprise here.

by Anonymousreply 2July 29, 2020 11:58 AM

And because articles that claim "Those Blue Collar Flyoverstani White People Whom You, Our Coastal Liberal Readers, Have Pretty Much Only Seen The One Time You Accidentally Turned On 'Roseanne' In 1999 Are STILL Supporting Trump" get far more clicks from Vanity Fair readers than ones that claim Biden is still ahead.

by Anonymousreply 3July 29, 2020 11:59 AM

What R1 said.

by Anonymousreply 4July 29, 2020 12:12 PM

Let's get one thing straight: these "people" only like Trump for one reason and one reason only: they think Trump is the savior of white people, the great white hope, while ensuring the niggers, spics and fags are kept in their proper, lower places.

by Anonymousreply 5July 29, 2020 12:15 PM

Trump can grab my pussy any time--because he's stopping scary black and brown men from grabbing my pussy.

by Anonymousreply 6July 29, 2020 12:23 PM

It’s culture, stupid

by Anonymousreply 7July 29, 2020 12:29 PM

Would they be "Pennsyltucky" women?

by Anonymousreply 8July 29, 2020 12:36 PM

Straight White trash that dreams of Trump grabbing their pussies

by Anonymousreply 9July 29, 2020 12:41 PM

He’s hoodwinked them. What they really mean when they say “we love him” is, “we feel loved by him.”

But he doesn’t love them.

by Anonymousreply 10July 29, 2020 12:42 PM

What about middle-class suburban women?

by Anonymousreply 11July 29, 2020 12:43 PM

Well FINALLY we get to hear the perspective of some Trump supporters. It's been, what, DAYS since a major media outlet told us how much they still love him? I was starting to experience withdrawals!

by Anonymousreply 12July 29, 2020 12:43 PM

Why is the liberal white media so fascinated with these losers? Time, economics, money, education and influence have bypassed them and their communities, but the liberal press seems to think they have incredible power not only in the United States, but the world as well.

by Anonymousreply 13July 29, 2020 12:47 PM

A lot of Pennsylvanians descend from Eastern Europeans and think Melania is classy.

by Anonymousreply 14July 29, 2020 12:56 PM

White working class women have a long history of making smart life choices.

Like Tammy said, Stand By Your Man

by Anonymousreply 15July 29, 2020 1:03 PM

R13, they do. They are numerous in swing states and decide elections

by Anonymousreply 16July 29, 2020 1:04 PM

R14 Interesting. As an immigrant myself, I was unaware of the demographic. I've been through a few parts of the state, yet everyone I met through a friend, were Irish, Scots-Irish, or German.

It's sad there are so many simpletons who like to vote for equally simple candidates who make them feel comfortable. I would think even if I were them, I would want someone smarter running the show. I feel embarrassed for those women who claim to love the way he "talks".

by Anonymousreply 17July 29, 2020 1:07 PM

Yeah, most of the miners in Western Pennsylvania were Eastern European.

by Anonymousreply 18July 29, 2020 1:09 PM

UGH!

by Anonymousreply 19July 29, 2020 1:10 PM

They don't like the condescending tone. If you can't see that then you are blind. Its a turn off to the working class. They are once again being told what is best for them by people who by all accounts mock and despise them. This is a lesson that should have been learned in 2016, yet it was not. It's only gotten worse.

Obama was not condescending, Hillary was, and Biden?

Biden isn't condescending and if he would actually get out and campaign more that would help.

by Anonymousreply 20July 29, 2020 1:10 PM

R17, Trump is a con-man, but he is good at reading the “crowd.” He knew he could win by stoking ugly culture wars. He knows there are just enough deplorables in swing states to get re-elected. He knows ugly can win

by Anonymousreply 21July 29, 2020 1:10 PM

They simply like that a "TV star" is President. They lived, loved, and laughed at his "You're FIRED!" Devoutly religious, they nonetheless thrilled to Marla's "Best Sex I Ever Had!" headline in the midst of Trump's public adultery.

Certain types of women have always fallen for and been taken in by the brazen and bold braggart, the narcissistic sociopath.

They subsequently suffer, but they hang on.

by Anonymousreply 22July 29, 2020 1:18 PM

"They don't like the condescending tone. If you can't see that then you are blind. Its a turn off to the working class."

And yet they have no problem with their condescending attitudes towards black and brown people, even black and brown people with more power and money than they could ever dream of.

by Anonymousreply 23July 29, 2020 1:18 PM

- r23 said, condescendingly

by Anonymousreply 24July 29, 2020 1:23 PM

R20 is correct. Except Obama had a condescending moment when he talked about people clinging to guns and Bibles. Thankfully, he was so likable and politically skilled he was over to overcome it. He went to megachurches, NASCAR events, rodeos, state fairs, sang Christian songs, and wore a cowboy hat. That’s how you connect with swing state voters.

by Anonymousreply 25July 29, 2020 1:29 PM

R23 you are making assumptions, these are people that voted for Obama. That is the problem here. When you continue to label this group as rasist claiming thats THE excuse for them not voting for Biden, you are choosing to ignore the main factor in why they won't be voting for him: The elitist attitude that has been growing on the democratic side for years. It got worse during Hillary's election. Depolorable is the go-to word now, and that hasn't helped.

We are in the midst of economic ruin and a pandemic, they don't need to hear from you that they are envious of people with money and power. Whether they are black, brown or white.

It's easier for you to just call them racist. Instead of jumping to conclusions, you may want to actually listen to these people and attempt to understand their communities. But you refuse.

by Anonymousreply 26July 29, 2020 1:33 PM

Have to agree with r23. Trump appealed to their fears and prejudices with coded language and doublespeak the right wing has used for years. They are awful people.

by Anonymousreply 27July 29, 2020 1:38 PM

They are stupid and ignorant. So many stupid Americans...have they all been brainwashed on Facebook?

by Anonymousreply 28July 29, 2020 1:43 PM

Must a candidate be stupid, speak badly, and objectify women to be respectful to working class voters? I think not. I think their position on the matter speaks more about them really: insecure, and intimidated by someone smarter. (chips on shoulders, and all that) Obviously one can be smart without being condescending.

by Anonymousreply 29July 29, 2020 1:43 PM

coded language? First you say they are uneducated, and now you think they are smart enough to decipher coded language?

These people voted for Obama.

Just own the fact that the democratic party mocks and despises them. Thats the root of the problem.

Like I said, its easier for you to just label them racist than actually put some real thought into the situation.

by Anonymousreply 30July 29, 2020 1:44 PM

"Must a candidate be stupid, speak badly, and objectify women to be respectful to working class voters?"

Clearly, since they only have Biden or Trump to choose from.

by Anonymousreply 31July 29, 2020 1:45 PM

I also fail to understand how speech like "You can grab 'em by the pussy... no you really can" comports with their Catholicism.

by Anonymousreply 32July 29, 2020 1:48 PM

Women have a long history of standing by pieces of shit men.

by Anonymousreply 33July 29, 2020 1:53 PM

Get the fuck off of your high horse, R26/R30. How you do know these particular people voted for Obama both times. The last opportunity they had to vote for Obama was 2012, 8 fucking years ago. The population of these areas has been declining so rapidly that anybody who voted for Obama probably had the good sense and abilities to get the fuck out, while these losers choose to stay there, expecting everybody else to pity them and their stupid choices, someone like Donald Trump.

The chief economic driver in these areas is the Pennsylvania Dept. of Corrections which has built numerous prisons in the area. If these jobs go, there will be nothing for them. And the state wants to close numerous prisons because it has excess capacity, but these don't care, they want PA taxpayers to continue to subsidize their lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 34July 29, 2020 1:53 PM

They make it easy r30.

by Anonymousreply 35July 29, 2020 1:54 PM

R30, And the republican party (two can play the no-capitalization game) loves these people?! Doesn't despise them?

Oh, yes, enough to go to the Supreme Court to deny them healthcare! Enough to eliminate Clean Water laws and allow pig and chicken factories to pollute their streams and rivers! Enough to transfer their public school funds to private charter schools! Enough to obsessively look for ways and means to cut their Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid! Enough not to help their children attend college without crushing debt!

Republicans love these voters enough to close their polling places!

And finally, true love is having a grifter at the helm, who has literally stolen from hopeful people through his now-defunct Trump University and Trump Foundation.

Yessiree, absolutely nothing condescending about Republicans towards the Deplorables!

by Anonymousreply 36July 29, 2020 2:00 PM

These women would be the type of ignorant white trash described in the "Hillbilly Elegy" best seller.

by Anonymousreply 37July 29, 2020 6:02 PM

They're the type of women who go to the Jersey Shore (Wildwood, of course) and let their 9 and 10 year old pre-pubescent daughters parade up and down the boardwalk and beaches in string bikinis. These "women's" greatest fear in life is their daughters will still be virgins at 15 y/o, as that would bring shame and dishonor on their families. And they want to keep that tradition goes on for generations and generations. What's good for grandma and mom is good for daughter and granddaughter.

by Anonymousreply 38July 29, 2020 6:11 PM

Grandmaw is 41.

by Anonymousreply 39July 29, 2020 6:14 PM

Being born and raised in NY and then moving to rural NW PA, the difference here is not that they aren't smart, they just have little to no interest beyond 20 miles of their location. I met a woman in her 20's who had never been more than 7 miles from her home. I didn't even know that outhouses still existed until I moved here. So many don't watch the news and have no idea what is going on in the rest of the world. I think a lot of them see Donald as "worldly". When I 1st moved here in the 70's I remember walking by a man explaining to his son how to beat his wife. There are still a lot of subservient women here even though they are dying off. You can't know what you haven't experienced and a lot of them have just had no real experiences to the outside world.

by Anonymousreply 40July 29, 2020 9:22 PM

That’s normal in most of America

by Anonymousreply 41July 29, 2020 9:41 PM

I'm from just north of Pittsburgh. I know 3 RN's, 4 teachers, 2 CPA's and 2 500k/yr. biz owners. All voting Trump. The really stupid folks either don't give a shit or love Old Joe. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 42July 29, 2020 9:51 PM

If they don’t like the condescending tone, they could try not being such sensitive special snowflakes and stop needing their safe spaces among “their kind of people”.

Funnily enough, they’re also triggered when you say this to them. The only way to get through to these people is bullying them. They love bullies, and they’re wimps. Working class people do not respond to logic and education, they respond to ridicule, shaming and violence. The deplorables, do, at any rate.

by Anonymousreply 43July 30, 2020 1:29 AM

This is why the Electoral College needs to go. It needs to be one person, one vote.

Sick and tired of these same assholes having to be coddled in every single Presidential election. And it's the same "swing states" that get this preferential treatment above everyone else. They are not despised. Every move the democratic party basically makes comes down to how it will influence their votes. Republicans kiss their asses and refer to them as the "Real Americans" as if everyone else is not. People are always having to tolerate their antiquated viewpoints on just about everything, because "We've got an election to win".

If it just went by the popular vote, none of it would matter, and they would be the relics they should be. Because they are the minority in this day and age of America. And if they don't want to admit that, fine. But stop expecting the rest of America, who are progressing, to have to back up, because they can't deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 44July 30, 2020 1:39 AM

" The only way to get through to these people is bullying them. They love bullies, and they’re wimps. Working class people do not respond to logic and education, they respond to ridicule, shaming and violence. The deplorables, do, at any rate."

You aren't going to get the response you like by "ridicule, shaming and violence" but keep telling yourself that you will.

by Anonymousreply 45July 30, 2020 1:44 AM

I don’t care if they think Democrats are being condescending or not. These women are morons with their heads up their asses.

by Anonymousreply 46July 30, 2020 1:53 AM

You know racists with decent to better money, r42. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 47July 30, 2020 10:21 AM

I really wish we could cut off a piece of the country so they could have him. Then see how long it takes him to run trumpland into the ground.

by Anonymousreply 48July 30, 2020 10:32 AM

R5 is totally correct; I'd add to that: they cannot abide anyone challenging the status quo: blacks who have the nerve not to want to be hassled (or killed) for no reason by the police, immigrants who want some basic rights, educated women who are in the position to demand better pay (in a way that they are not). They are stuck in a box & are fiercely protective of what privilege they have left & like Dump because he promotes the idea that "the other" can be kept in their box too.

by Anonymousreply 49July 30, 2020 10:41 AM

There's a big chip on the shoulder of White American Women. Yes, it's about being angry at the 'others' they perceive as passing them by on the ladder of our shared vision of cultural success. They struggled to try to 'make' it by working and juggling kids and husbands who don't contribute to helping out and are angry that the only cache they have in the culture - their sexual appeal to men - is gone. Many of them are divorced, remarried, or just hanging on....trying to collect on the pensions of the men they were brought up to believe would 'honor and love' them, until death they do part.

So much fantasy has been fed to these women. Think Disney princess, white bridal gowns, comfortable retirements being cared for by their children and husbands. The reality is a HUGE disappointment. They'd much rather have a reality show fuck-up telling them what's going on because it keeps the fantasy going.

The reality for women in 20th century America is far better than most of the world's women, but it's not what they were raised to believe they were 'entitled' to. They're still getting paid less for the same work and still being seen as sexualized objects in the workplace up to a certain age. This is fine with them as long as they get the 'other' perks - the power and entitlement of being white and the consorts of powerful men. Women are still second class citizens, that's ok with people who are raised to be that. They're fine with it and despise women who were NOT raised in male-dominated households and are not fine with it. They see themselves as a class of people who used to CLAIM those second tier jobs as a result of those relationships, that compromise in status. That has ended. Now those positions are going to what they perceive as undeserving minorities who've been given an unfair 'advantage' with a taxpayer funded education based on affirmative action. An education they never felt they needed and why should they? It's only women who can't get men to love and support them who need that. They're not less educated and ignorant in their understanding, but women who CHOOSE not to rob a man of his ability to support a family by not becoming competition. Trump confirms and asserts this belief every time he attacks a women they believe had this advantage, like AOC.

They're the REAL sacrificers, the REAL women.

As long as there are Democratic women demonstrating real leadership and taking the reins (like "crazy" Nancy), their belief system in a world run by strong men who take care of them will be challenged.

And so what? I don't care about these dinosaurs and their antiquated atitudes that drag us all down. VF needs to profile some of the people leading the BLM marches and organizing real, meaningful change. Stop giving ignorance the microphone. We've heard enough.

by Anonymousreply 50July 30, 2020 11:48 AM

This is why the election will be close. Trump appeals to the cultural identity and value of so many

by Anonymousreply 51July 30, 2020 12:55 PM

R30 has to be a joke, right?

As for white working class women voting for Trump, we can assume they will do that in every state, not just PA, and for the same reasons they did in 2016. It's been 200 years of the white lower and middle classes voting for the candidate who promises Manifest Destiny, slavery, Jim Crow, wiping out Native peoples, not letting women have the vote, keeping gays and women and people of color from having equal rights.

To pretend like it's different nowadays, that these are just poor innocent victims of elitist Democratic harridans, is ridiculous. Political parties create scapegoats and others, and tell their white voting base that if they vote for their party, they will keep the other down, thereby lifting up the whites to their rightful place.

It's not difficult to understand.

by Anonymousreply 52July 30, 2020 1:04 PM

Only the GOP creates scapegoats

by Anonymousreply 53July 30, 2020 1:16 PM

Hear hear r26.

by Anonymousreply 54July 30, 2020 1:37 PM

My point exactly, R53.

by Anonymousreply 55July 30, 2020 2:01 PM

I'm so sick of posters on this board who talk about how Dems are elitist and are so condescending to these voters. That's bullshit. Candidates speak to everyone, if they choose to feel like they're being talked-down to because they don't understand high-school level words or concepts, then that's their problem.

Anyone who says they love how he speaks and then gives an example of "Crazy Nancy" is just an overgrown child. That's not speaking - that's throwing around childish insults.

And I don't believe many of these people voted for Obama - they're just saying that so they don't look racist.

by Anonymousreply 56July 30, 2020 2:14 PM

R50 usually I wouldn't go where I'm about to in this response, but I'm taking a chance that you genuinely want to understand these women. I'm bracing for the pile on but I can take it -- the feminist Andrea Dworkin wrote a book you can get for free (pdf right online), called "Right Wing Woman" about this very topic.

It's the best explanation of this phenomenon you'll ever read. Factors most would never think of and would provide better insight into not only understanding them, but how to better approach this problem.

It's easy for men to sit and speculate on how women really feel, but it doesn't work because it's a unique experience that only being female can provide. Just for example, the complicated history/ relationships between women and the left. That's not to say the right has not done women just as dirty, but just a peek into why some women cling to the right. Understanding is the first step to change.

by Anonymousreply 57July 30, 2020 2:22 PM

White women identify as Republicans because they want to identify with the powerful, the wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 58July 30, 2020 2:25 PM

I moved from Montclair, NJ. to Ocean County. Downsized and thought it would be nice to be near beach, plus have older relatives who need support. Cue covid. anyway, Montclair very diverse and most of Northern Jersey liberal, democratic. South Jersey is Trump country. They watch Fox, believe what Trump says, dismiss science. Many are retired teachers, accountants, so not uneducated. They revere the FLAG and military, police. Racists aplenty. Nothing will move these people. Very annoying to see these what are Trump voters thinking media pieces. Forget them. Focus on voter registration, getting out vote, reaching those who don't normally vote.

by Anonymousreply 59July 30, 2020 2:26 PM

The real tragedy of this report is that the media can't seem to let these fuckers go. Let them rot in their own stupidity. Stop giving them a platform. Fuck 'em.

by Anonymousreply 60July 30, 2020 2:35 PM

There's a reason James Carville called PA "Two big cities with Alabama in between." It really rings pretty true to life.

Northeast PA seems to be especially sad....nothing new there for 40+ years. Same with some of the other towns in the state. I have relatives in Johnstown who probably haven't worked since the mills shut down in the early 80s. Erie collapsed with the closure of GE, which was about 70 percent of the available jobs in town, in the nineties and will never come back.

All of these people have maybe an HS education, maybe less. Most of them have poor reading skills and in general, live a simple life where they wear their Monday shirt and take their Monday lunch to work on....you guessed it....Monday.

For them, Trump is like a Zig Zigler or a Anthony Robbins who tells them what they want to hear, who slays their dragons and makes them feel hopeful. Whether he does anything is a moot point, they feel reassured just knowing he is there.

Yes, some of these people are racist and enjoy the scapegoating of literally any other group than their own (so they don't have to look in a mirror and see their own stupidity or massive shortcomings)......but as some people have said upthread, I think for some, it's not this intense, intentional racism but more that they have lived a profoundly unexamined, insulated life. They have seen a black person once five years ago at a traffic light. Everyone in town is related to each other in some way after a few hundred years. Some have never been more than an hour from home. I always called this "living in the pickle jar." They were sour, bitter people who never got out of the jar, they just stewed in their own sour, acid juices.

[quote] The real tragedy of this report is that the media can't seem to let these fuckers go. Let them rot in their own stupidity. Stop giving them a platform. Fuck 'em.

I agree it's annoying that every time one of these voters scratches their ass, someone is there to sniff. But they are a sizeable group, sad as that is for our democracy. 30 to 40 percent of the country.

by Anonymousreply 61July 30, 2020 2:48 PM

"I love the way he talks. I understand him more than any other president."

She told you all right there why she loves him. She understands his small vocabulary. He doesn't challenge her. He doesn't make her think. He doesn't use big words she doesn't know. He's an idiot. And so is she.

by Anonymousreply 62July 30, 2020 2:58 PM

ugh!

by Anonymousreply 63July 30, 2020 3:07 PM

we're also fighting the absolute loons

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 30, 2020 4:51 PM

[quote] Being born and raised in NY and then moving to rural NW PA, the difference here is not that they aren't smart, they just have little to no interest beyond 20 miles of their location.

My experience of the Northeast is that no one has interest beyond their immediate neighborhood. New Yorkers included.

by Anonymousreply 65July 30, 2020 5:50 PM

Newsflash: Female Trump supporters are delusional scum--just like his male supporters!

by Anonymousreply 66July 30, 2020 5:55 PM

I eat piles and piles of SHIT!

by Anonymousreply 67July 30, 2020 10:11 PM

You nailed it, Bootsie.

[QUOTE]He’s hoodwinked them.

[QUOTE]“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.” Carl Sagan

by Anonymousreply 68July 30, 2020 11:31 PM

r68 was in reply to r10. Apologies.

by Anonymousreply 69July 30, 2020 11:38 PM

Wait until they and theirs start dying from COVID.

by Anonymousreply 70July 30, 2020 11:43 PM

Is there any poling data to support this article or is it one of these reporter finds 5 bitchy white women and crafts a narrative around it? Because most of the national and state level polling has Biden leading Trump in almost every demographic except for white non-college men (and even there he has narrowed the gap significantly). I am sure things will tighten up but the pollsters seemed to have learned lessons form 2016 and if anything, they have overcorrected the models and Biden is still way ahead. So far even the most obscene Republican attempts to suppress democratic turnout have backfired (I still can't believe democrats even won that Wisconsin state supreme court election) and the usual right ring race baiting has failed so far but I will still be biting my nails until this is over. I just hope there is enough momentum to win back the senate and abolish the filibuster because without that, Biden won't be able pass anything. Even then, Trump and McConnell have seeded the federal courts with extreme right judges that will make try to hobble him at every turn. I fear we may be fucked as a country no matter what happens...

by Anonymousreply 71July 31, 2020 7:37 AM

I'm guessing the vast majority of these women in Western Pennsylvania subscribe to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette or to the Pittsburgh Tribune (owned by notoriously right-winger Richard Scaife)., both of which have extremely right-wing, Donald Trump-worshiping editorial stances. It's relatively easy to shape the political opinions of people if there are no opposing voices featured in a particular region. That's one of the reasons that political opinions in the deep South and many regions of the Midwest remain defiantly conservative. The media that they consume are overwhelmingly conservative - not just FOX news (on TV), but what they encounter in print.

by Anonymousreply 72July 31, 2020 8:32 AM

It’s really simple. Trump hates the same groups of people they hate, and ‘being white’ overrides any other concern they have. They see another other group doing well as a zero sum gain reducing their advantages (real or imagined). They really do t want equal rights for women and only want to keep the status quo for their husbands and sons. I used to think demographic change would just flip the counter, but now I realise through the Southern Strategy, dog whistles, voter suppression, gerrymandering, packing courts, the for profit prison system, etc these types are going to do whatever it takes to hold onto power. It reminds me of the old Nationalist Party in South Africa. They controlled the country for most of the 1900’s even with less than 15% of the population. Even if Trump loses, they’re going to come back with a more palatable candidate with the same points of view like Tom Cotton for example.

by Anonymousreply 73July 31, 2020 8:56 AM

" Even if Trump loses, they’re going to come back with a more palatable candidate..."

If Trump loses, then the full extant of his criminality, collusion and corruption, as well of those of his Republican supporters, will become known, at which point the Republican Party as we know it ceases to exist.

by Anonymousreply 74July 31, 2020 11:49 AM

R74, you are extraordinarily naive

by Anonymousreply 75July 31, 2020 12:11 PM

[quote] I'm guessing the vast majority of these women in Western Pennsylvania subscribe to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette or to the Pittsburgh Tribune (owned by notoriously right-winger Richard Scaife)., both of which have extremely right-wing, Donald Trump-worshiping editorial stances. It's relatively easy to shape the political opinions of people if there are no opposing voices featured in a particular region

It is so heartbreaking that the PG is now a total shitshow for Trump.

The Scaife Tribune, we expected it from, but the PG's hard right turn is disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 76July 31, 2020 1:44 PM

I have given up on these people. All they want is for someone to confirm their biases and to not make them feel stupid or less than. It's not about jobs or foreign diplomacy or our democracy or patriotism or the rule of law or just simple good manners. These people are willing to trade their lives and livelihoods to win some unwinnable culture war. There is nothing we can do for them. They are lost to us.

by Anonymousreply 77July 31, 2020 2:52 PM

If they’d come right out and say they want to fuck him and would gladly be his next Melania, I might have more respect for them.

They are still too stupid for words, but at least that would be the truth.

by Anonymousreply 78July 31, 2020 2:57 PM

Of course it’s Pittsburgh. If they’re tired of being told they’re hateful morons, they better stop reading now:

Racist idiots.

by Anonymousreply 79July 31, 2020 2:58 PM

R79 the article at OP is *not* Pittsburgh, it's northeastern PA.

Not that the two are all that dissimilar, though.

by Anonymousreply 80July 31, 2020 3:05 PM

Thanks R80. And you are correct. Not that dissimilar.

by Anonymousreply 81August 1, 2020 10:26 AM

The writers of this article talked to a few women at a bingo hall and a diner, typical NEPA population that journalists seek out for these stories (obviously as far from NYC as they dare to venture).

That being said, it is sad that these women previously voted Democrat, but now easily spout the lies this nation has been indoctrinated with since Trump began his quest to destroy the country.

They don’t want to be talked down to, but they believe lies they don’t even try to analyze. They aren’t smart. And they are responsible for the destruction of the past four or so years, but want to be told it’s ok, you can vote for whatever idiot “connects with you”.

I’d say Biden needs to go there, and not assume, like Clinton, that his ties to the area will carry him. But I think we can still take PA without them, and I’m not interested (if I ever was) in catering to folks who are offended that the country doesn’t cater to their every “cultural” whim any longer, and think that voting for a criminal racist is ok because of it.

by Anonymousreply 82August 1, 2020 10:52 AM

Hillary also neglected the Lehigh Valley, and lost it. Kaine visited, totally without fanfare and audience. Howard Dean, as well (met him), but again, small audience indoors.

Contrast with a large outdoor rally for Kerry (Edwards went to Scranton), and a huge filled college auditorium for Obama (both in Allentown).

Biden MUST visit Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, PA. He won't get the Dutchies (PA Dutch Republicans), but we have a well-educated Middle Class in need of some Biden optimism.

by Anonymousreply 83August 1, 2020 11:56 AM

Good Point

by Anonymousreply 84August 1, 2020 12:01 PM

Same group that listened to Phyllis Schlafly when she informed them that they live a privileged life, why fuck it up by asking for equality? It sunk the women's movement and that equality law never passed.

Trump used the same strategy. "Hey white women, I got your back, don't screw it up by siding with the N*****, queers or immigrants."

by Anonymousreply 85August 1, 2020 12:47 PM

Most of you have no idea what western Pa is like. "Hateful, morons, stupid, scum, losers ...". I really don't think you get out of your neighborhoods much at all. And they don't "worship" Trump. What they want is to disappear leftist socialism from which nothing good ever, ever come. They call it History. Try it some time.

by Anonymousreply 86August 1, 2020 1:17 PM

R86 is a deplorable

by Anonymousreply 87August 1, 2020 1:19 PM

Trump is the first Elite who ever noticed these Deplorables. He pretends to like these people who he would never give the time of day to, and they continue to be flattered.

They watch the beautiful people and the bling on TV every day and know they'll never be a part of it, but voting for Trump makes them feel a little closer to the gold.

by Anonymousreply 88August 1, 2020 1:23 PM

Yes, it’s a mutual flattering. But it’s more than symbolism. He genuflects and empowers their cultural views and values through policies, judges, executive orders, appointees. In return, they stand by him, vote for him, bestow undying adoration and loyalist to him.

by Anonymousreply 89August 1, 2020 1:26 PM

Oh, honey @86, we are living History. It's called the Trump Era, the end of the US as we knew it, and it will get worse if Biden isn't elected.

by Anonymousreply 90August 1, 2020 1:38 PM

[quote] Just own the fact that the democratic party mocks and despises them. Thats the root of the problem.

See R5 as example.

by Anonymousreply 91August 1, 2020 1:48 PM

R86 is right. I’m in Bucks, not western PA.

DL is a very warped place. I don’t think many of these posters get out much.

by Anonymousreply 92August 1, 2020 2:14 PM

Oh wow

by Anonymousreply 93August 1, 2020 2:14 PM

R42, yes business owners are voting for trump

by Anonymousreply 94August 1, 2020 2:25 PM

88 and 89 are projecting.

by Anonymousreply 95August 1, 2020 2:41 PM

It’s facts

by Anonymousreply 96August 1, 2020 2:47 PM

Whoever mocks the poor insults his Maker; he who is glad at calamity will not go unpunished. Book of Proverbs, I think.

by Anonymousreply 97August 1, 2020 3:14 PM

"What they want is to disappear leftist socialism from which nothing good ever, ever come. They call it History. Try it some time."

If that ain't a bunch of troll diarrhea, I don't know what the fucks is.

How come they don't want right wing fascism to disappear. Right wing fascism is here in the form of Donald Trump. Why don't they have a problem with that? How come they haven't "tried some History" and see that nothing ever good comes from right wing fascism (Hitler, Mussolini). Is it because their fascist hero (Trump) wants to ensure the niggers, spics and fags never, ever get to uppity and challenge their white superiority? Oh, I think so.

by Anonymousreply 98August 1, 2020 9:00 PM

When are liberal women going to start calling out their fellow women instead of blaming everything on men? Worthless men like Dump get nominated because so many women are stupid and vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 99August 1, 2020 9:02 PM

I knew the guy from Bucks County who kept concern trolling in the Biden poll thread was a Republican troll, and now he's proven it here.

by Anonymousreply 100August 1, 2020 9:04 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101August 1, 2020 9:09 PM

We haven't had a good dicking since 1920 so we're racist bitches in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 102August 1, 2020 9:19 PM

R64 WOW, that sign is so disturbing. What can one say to someone who puts that up?

by Anonymousreply 103August 1, 2020 11:07 PM

"Question:Q:Apple News - can the political bias be removed? The political news is absolutely ridiculous. Appears the political articles are only curated by those with an excessive bias toward our president. "

Thanks for the Trump propaganda OP!

by Anonymousreply 104August 1, 2020 11:11 PM

This was written in 1959 and it is one of the best things ever written on the white working class. Basically, the white working class has frequently supportedthe most disastrous political groups/politicians in the past century. This is true in America, Britain, Germany, etc. For those who can access it, I highly encourage you to read it. It's time to stop feeling sorry for these people. Whenever some left-wing white person protests, you always hear these white conservatives say shit like "why don't they just get jobs like the rest of us?". It's time to start saying that to these people who continue to support Trump--you're mad that your coal job is going away? Just move somewhere else and get a damn job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105August 1, 2020 11:34 PM

“ These people are willing to trade their lives and livelihoods to win some unwinnable culture war. There is nothing we can do for them. They are lost to us.”

Money

by Anonymousreply 106August 1, 2020 11:36 PM

R11, middle-class suburban white women are fleeing Covidfefe Drumpf in droves!

by Anonymousreply 107August 2, 2020 1:03 AM

In Philadelphia, it’s the guidettes in South Philly, the Irish and Polish fishwives in the Northeast....deplorables all.

by Anonymousreply 108August 2, 2020 1:20 AM

Absolutely R100, and he's a bunch of other PA voter accounts as well. He will even post replies addressed to "all of the other Pennsylvania folks who backed me up" which is insane, they're all his sockpuppets.

He's also gone off the rails in the "Joe Biden maintains 12 point lead" thread if anyone is interested, way toward the end of the thread.

by Anonymousreply 109August 2, 2020 1:26 AM

Sorry, I just realized that was the exact thread you were talking about, R100. Didn't mean to repeat at R109 what you already said.

by Anonymousreply 110August 2, 2020 1:27 AM

Scandinavia laughs at r86.

by Anonymousreply 111August 2, 2020 4:49 AM

R92, I'm right above you in Northampton, and I get out and have gotten out plenty, including decades of summer vacations in Europe, with at least five visits to hospitals (Amsterdam, Lisbon, Oporto, somewhere in England and France), all gratis. Darn that Socialism of r86!

Maybe you should see beyond ("That's why they call it...") Bucks County.

by Anonymousreply 112August 2, 2020 4:59 AM

Good for you r112.

I’ve been to Northampton, it’s quite rural and pretty.

by Anonymousreply 114August 2, 2020 5:07 AM

[quote]And btw I’m not a guy. I’m a woman.

Even better.

by Anonymousreply 115August 2, 2020 5:08 AM

Btw r112, I also lived in Belgium, and several major cities within the US...New York, Boston, Los Angeles

I’ve gotten “out” plenty.

by Anonymousreply 116August 2, 2020 5:10 AM

Damn! Block the trumptard cunt at r113 and the stupidity vanishes!

by Anonymousreply 117August 2, 2020 5:30 AM

Yes, it seems as if some of the women are delusional and believe Trump favors them.

But the frumps in the “I am a racist” t-shirts...that’s sickening. For all posterity, they have outed themselves as trashy fools. Just imagine having a relative who wore that in 2020. They’re too dumb to be ashamed.

I want to hug all the normal people on the “am I a bad person?” thread. They feel guilty for ugly thoughts stemming from anger at the ignorant and here are these hateful assholes relishing their offensiveness.

by Anonymousreply 118August 2, 2020 7:02 AM

Misleading headline to say the least.

OP's posting Trump kiss ass crap from a pro-Trump site but hopes people will think this is from the magazine Vanity Fair.

by Anonymousreply 119August 2, 2020 10:19 AM

[quote]They applaud his brusque demeanor, or they don’t. They support his right-wing policies, or they don’t. It doesn’t matter. They think Democrats have persecuted him without justification, believe he’s doing everything possible to combat COVID-19, and generally support his “law-and-order” response to what are likely the most pervasive protests in U.S. history. They have faith that he has the business acumen to reinvigorate the economy. Mainly, they have faith in him. They support Trump because they like him.

You're fucked if that's any indication.

by Anonymousreply 120August 2, 2020 10:39 AM

Central and small town Pennsylvania are deplorable. Nasty, uneducated bitches are abundant.

by Anonymousreply 121August 2, 2020 10:44 AM

Alabama North

by Anonymousreply 122August 2, 2020 12:15 PM

Hey r121, in my corner of pa, it's the " Nasty, uneducated bitches" that vote democrat (if they get up in time to vote).

by Anonymousreply 123August 2, 2020 12:20 PM

[quote] But the frumps in the “I am a racist” t-shirts...that’s sickening.

It was photo shopped, you idiot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124August 2, 2020 3:03 PM

My Mazel of the Week! Someone leaked a photo r124 of my upcoming show, Real Housewives of Altoona

by Anonymousreply 125August 2, 2020 4:11 PM

R124 no one there has been a girl for a very long time.

Also, it seems disrespectful to put the flag imprint on a shoe.

by Anonymousreply 126August 2, 2020 6:38 PM

I wonder if the frauen in r124 s photo realize that Trump would not touch them with Obama’s dick. Clearly not the age demographic that he preys upon.

by Anonymousreply 127August 2, 2020 6:51 PM

A huge problem for our country is that everyone stopped listening to each other. I know everyone will have a nasty comment about this, but if we just sat down and listened without judgement to why people are voting the way that they are, engaging in dialogue, maybe things can be different. I also think people are too quick to read media bites and not the full articles. Why these women support Trump and what Biden can learn:

1) Though his Tweets are disastrous, Trump is the first President to really use social media to talk to directly to the people. He tells us his crazy thoughts multiple times a day. There is a certain type of transparency masking the non-transparency with this approach.

2) They believe Trump has the business savvy to get the economy back quickly. Many small business owners feel the same.

3) They voted for Obama so they are not indeed racists.

4) People don't like protests that will ultimately be skewed by the media as riots, looting, defunding the police. Most middle class white people want police protection, many of the middle class are police officers. "Law and order" is what most want.

5) Inherently, people want what's best for them. White people will do what is best for them and their lives as will Black and Brown people.

by Anonymousreply 128August 2, 2020 7:06 PM

"2) They believe Trump has the business savvy to get the economy back quickly. Many small business owners feel the same."

What is it going to take to tell these assholes and people like R128 that some clown who has filed bankruptcy three times, cannot get an American bank to lend him one fucking thin dime, and has a record of stiffing people who work for him does not have a lot of "business savvy."

by Anonymousreply 129August 2, 2020 7:17 PM

"3) They voted for Obama so they are not indeed racists."

How the hell do you know how they voted, R128. Have you personally inspected their voting records? Do you just take at face value anything anybody tells you? And if you do, do you honestly expect us to believe anything you pull out of your nasty, gaping hole?

by Anonymousreply 130August 2, 2020 7:19 PM

"White people will do what is best for them and their lives"

As long as white people believe they only way they can do "what's best for them" is denying other people the same rights, privileges and opportunities they have, there are going to be problems. In other words, their racism may help them in the short term (especially with one of their own in the White House), but it is eventually going to come back and bite them in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 131August 2, 2020 7:28 PM

Actually, there is a new column out today that shows white working class voters are abandoning Chump.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132August 2, 2020 7:34 PM

[quote] As long as white people believe they only way they can do "what's best for them" is denying other people the same rights

What an ignorant comment.

by Anonymousreply 133August 2, 2020 7:45 PM

R130, this is where reading the article comes in handy. The women interviewed stated that they had traditionally always voted democratic, especially stating a dislike for George W. She had voted for Obama in 2006 and didn't vote all in 2012 because she wasn't thrilled with Obama, but felt Romney "talked down to them." Social media and the media in general have us so conditioned to jump at a sound bite, that we are already typing nasty responses disputing what we didn't bother to read or full understand (I'm not saying you, just in general). You don't have to convince me, but I do think trying to understand others instead of just labeling them might help to heal the country.

by Anonymousreply 134August 2, 2020 7:54 PM

These are people that think the Kardashians are classy and talented.

by Anonymousreply 135August 2, 2020 8:08 PM

" She had voted for Obama in 2006."

No she didn't, because Obama wasn't running for anything in 2006.

We really need a better class of troll here.

by Anonymousreply 136August 2, 2020 8:25 PM

R128 is the racist PA lesbian who tried to run over her girlfriend with her pickup.

by Anonymousreply 137August 2, 2020 8:34 PM

Wonder how many have been Trump virused since that interview.

by Anonymousreply 138August 2, 2020 9:22 PM

How did you know, R137? And it was a Subaru.

by Anonymousreply 139August 2, 2020 10:24 PM

[quote]I'm guessing the vast majority of these women in Western Pennsylvania subscribe to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette or to the Pittsburgh Tribune

I'm guessing few of them read newspapers.

by Anonymousreply 140August 2, 2020 10:31 PM

FAKE NEWS

Any Trump cunt in PA won't matter. The state is polling much more heavily for Biden over Trump than it ever has.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141August 2, 2020 10:37 PM

Weak-minded and/or low-IQ people will gravitate toward an all-knowing, charismatic daddy-type to guide them through a confusing world.

by Anonymousreply 142August 2, 2020 11:12 PM

2) They believe Trump has the business savvy to get the economy back quickly. Many small business owners feel the same.

This is true & I've heard this directly from people who should be smart enough to know better; it's also true about the riots. Fox News/Dump managed to effectively politicize the "defund police" statements to mean that cops all over the country be disbanded so that their precious children will be gang raped by illegal immigrants the minute they step out of the house. So they may not love Dump, but they hate (what they perceive as) the alternative

by Anonymousreply 143August 3, 2020 12:52 PM

"Yes, We Mean, Defund the Police"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144August 3, 2020 1:08 PM

That 'defund the police' trick got Trump the major police endorsements. People are walking right into the Republitraps.

by Anonymousreply 145August 3, 2020 1:26 PM

Nasty, postmenopausal, low education, with dead or deplorable husbands, who have bi-racial fatherless grandkids, and who fantasize about Trump grabbing their old, stinky pussies.

by Anonymousreply 146August 3, 2020 3:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!