Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Annie Lennox is a crappy solo writer vs her writing with Eurythmics

I am clearing old songs off my computer and I cannot believe how terrible most of her solo songs are, especially all the crap on Medusa. Her songs are like Madonna's. Filled with cliches and tired tropes. Not the most adventurous girl. My favorite album of Eurythmics is Savage. No crap on that.

by Anonymousreply 104August 15, 2020 6:34 PM

Uh, Medusa is all cover songs...

by Anonymousreply 1July 29, 2020 6:33 AM

Diva is a great album. Then she got lazy.

I do like Medusa though. But a covers album for a second album = the creative well has dried up.

She needs Dave for inspiration. They just have a spark that works.

by Anonymousreply 2July 29, 2020 6:35 AM

R1 thanks for pointing that out genius. Google doesn't work on my puter to tell me it is all crappy cover songs that she ruins.

R2 I'm sure he kept her from including all the cliched crap she wrote on her solo albums.

Two examples of absolute crap she wrote are Step By Step sung by Whitney. Absolutely terrible song. The lyrics are just nonsense. Another is Love Song for a Vampire: with shit lyrics like this: Come into these arms again And lay your body down The rhythm of this trembling heart Is beating like a drum It beats for you, it bleeds for you It knows not how it sound For it is the drum of drums It is the song of songs

It is the drum of drums! It is the song of songs! Garbage.

by Anonymousreply 3July 29, 2020 6:43 AM

Fuck off, OP. You're an ass. What, creatively, have you ever done in your life? What, in your churlish opinion, is a better female solo musician?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 29, 2020 6:54 AM

OP has no taste. No More I love You's is wonderful and very Annie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 29, 2020 10:13 AM

R5 that is is another cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 29, 2020 12:13 PM

Little Bird is a masterpiece. Suck it OP.

by Anonymousreply 7July 29, 2020 12:52 PM

OP, I just hope you have equally strong opinions about the other four artists clogging up your Pavilion’s hard drive. You will have plenty of time whilst defragging.

Perhaps, on a lark, you could take out the garbage and sweep your nest area. Soap is very cheap right now. Picking up spare change is good for your knees.

by Anonymousreply 8July 29, 2020 1:05 PM

she's better with dave what his name, even though he's ugly and looks like toad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 29, 2020 1:16 PM

Her 'Why' is a heartbreaker. I love her for that alone.

by Anonymousreply 10July 29, 2020 1:19 PM

r6, I am well aware of that since it's from her cover album Medusa.

by Anonymousreply 11July 29, 2020 2:00 PM

Diva is very good, but I agree her other output since is, while pleasant, not earth shattering.

I think some artists benefit from working in a partnership or a band. A similar case, in my humble opinion, is Natalie Merchant. 10,000 Maniacs had wonderful music, and her first solo album was very solid, but after that, I became uninterested in her music. In her case, I think she had ideas that when a band was working with her would get filtered out or shaped into something better, but on her own, she was unchecked.

Every artist is different. Some blossom on their own, some are good in either scenario, but some really benefit from working in a collaboration and the results are better, and I think Annie is one of those artists.

by Anonymousreply 12July 29, 2020 2:06 PM

[quote] Little Bird is a masterpiece. Suck it OP.

I saw a drag queen do the fiercest number to this song ever done.

She should have won the crown for it but alas, was first runner up.

by Anonymousreply 13July 29, 2020 2:07 PM

Bare was a fantastic album

by Anonymousreply 14July 29, 2020 2:08 PM

I think she’s really loaded. Her early solo content sold like crazy.

Has anyone ever seen Annie Lennox in the same room at the same time as Trudie Styler? They look an awfully lot alike, maybe less so since Styler got the same cheek implants as that puppet from Saw.

by Anonymousreply 15July 29, 2020 2:23 PM

When not making music, she's also a voice of reason, activism and philanthropy. Here, she takes on deranged Madge:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 29, 2020 5:12 PM

Regardless of her writing skills, she can out sing the VAST majority of female singers out there save a few. Watch her her sing “into the west” at the Grammys or anything else live and appreciate why she is famous.

by Anonymousreply 17July 29, 2020 5:21 PM

*when she’s fresh and rested*. They Always scheduled huge tours across the US and she was always on the verge of losing it by the time she performed in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 18July 29, 2020 7:47 PM

Beethoven

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 29, 2020 7:54 PM

omg madonna posts here!

by Anonymousreply 20July 29, 2020 8:06 PM

Twins

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 30, 2020 1:58 AM

OP = the ghost of Marie Fredriksson. Diva is a phenomenal album from start to finish. Bare is dark but brilliant for the most part with the exception of a song or two. Her covers on Medusa are great. And how many Mariah Carey songs did you delete? Talk about bad songwriting.

by Anonymousreply 22July 30, 2020 3:40 AM

R22 Get lost Janbot. Blocked.

by Anonymousreply 23July 30, 2020 7:14 AM

I'm lukewarm on Medusa except for her dark take on Neil Young's "Don't Let it Bring You Down", a depressive's bright light in the distance.

by Anonymousreply 24July 30, 2020 8:35 AM

I love her cover of Heaven on Medusa that was mistakenly left off the US version of Medusa.

by Anonymousreply 25July 30, 2020 1:04 PM

Annie never seemed to me to be desperate to be famous or desperate to be on the radio. Maybe after Diva she just got sick of the grind or just got bored with it all. Not every pop star is like Madonna, chasing cameras and microphones 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 26July 30, 2020 1:11 PM

She's creative and talented but suffers from the delusion that she's ironically talented. Following her on Twitter and Instagram made me realize she's almost Yoko Ono level delusional. I love her voice and her work, but she also self-adores to the point of being insufferable.

Add to that her two grown daughters who've, without a doubt, have grown-up privileged. Both seem to be two of those kinds of Boheme white chicks that most of us know. Stretching to be "artists" and "edgy". At least one attempt to be a breakout singer. Endless Instagram and Twitter videos of her cooing with her scraggly-pretty, 'edgy' boyfriend. Going on and on about woke'ness, suffering for their music and art, etc. etc.. and at the end of the day, they go home to their mansions or mom's estate, or never have to worry about the light bill being paid or how much the prescription is going to cost this month.

I honestly do love Annie but as others have said, she's always seemed too anxious for fame and, even more so, to be some vocal icon, which she just isn't. And at the risk of irritating others, I'm just gonna go ahead and say it, Annie does not seem to like the penised people very much. I'm not saying she's a complete misandrist, but CHEEZUS! She goes on and on and fucking on about girls and women and the patriarchy and how bad all men are and women are somehow still suffering like slaves, etc. etc. She's never been a fan of American culture or politics yet she chooses to live here, in New Jersey of all places. At least before I stopped following her, she had something bitchy to say about Americans or America nearly every day. Much of it true but, hey bitch, we kinda helped make you rich and famous. Not all of us are Trump and you got to come and live here when we kick out so many other people. So how about some gratitude every now and then?

by Anonymousreply 27July 30, 2020 1:23 PM

Oh, I will say that her cover of 'Thin Line (Between Love & Hate)' in chillingly powerful, great song. You guys should look it up/download it. I can't remember if it's from Medusa or Diva.

by Anonymousreply 28July 30, 2020 1:25 PM

CHRISTMAS in JULY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 30, 2020 1:30 PM

It's on Medusa, R28. And yes, it is great.

by Anonymousreply 30July 30, 2020 1:55 PM

She lives in New Jersey? Why ?

by Anonymousreply 31July 30, 2020 2:13 PM

R27, she lives in LA. Stop spouting nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 32July 30, 2020 3:11 PM

She takes herself a little too seriously, especially for a Scot. But Diva was a brilliant, well-written album.

by Anonymousreply 33July 30, 2020 3:14 PM

She's classically trained, brilliant, consistent, and humble. Everything she has released has been fantastic.

... Except for that unfortunate Christmas album. Nails on a chalkboard. I had to return it.

by Anonymousreply 34July 30, 2020 3:33 PM

She went the adult contemporary/covers route too early in her solo career.

by Anonymousreply 35July 30, 2020 4:00 PM

Madonna has had some great songs.

by Anonymousreply 36July 30, 2020 4:00 PM

R34, how did you return it if you opened it already?

by Anonymousreply 37July 30, 2020 5:13 PM

She and Dave and a host of others came along when the radio was pushing Rush and REO Speedway really hard upon a broke as fuck Midwest.

If I didn’t smoke pole, I could just as easily have pursued the life of one of those mangy guys with odd trophy facial hair patches and an action movie quote reflex. Id be fat, too.

by Anonymousreply 38July 30, 2020 8:52 PM

Walking on broken glass was so overplayed on every AC station in the US. Makes me hurl even after 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 39July 30, 2020 8:59 PM

OP is all over the ‘Madonna is pissed at who ‘ post about 80’s divas & calling janet jackson ‘jabba janet’ (he did a janet loves KFC joke that is racist though) OP likes to instigate - which I do as well & am all for. But if it raises your blood pressure move on. If not enjoy. In fact he’s better at it then me because i tried to turn the kylie minogue thread on it’s ass & couldn’t (sob)

by Anonymousreply 40July 30, 2020 9:05 PM

Rain, Angel, Betrayal, Tin Foil, Bravo

Next!

by Anonymousreply 41July 30, 2020 9:10 PM

I had a great nyc moment around the Diva album. Annie was playing central park to promote it & Rickie Lee Jones was at Alice Tully Hall doing an acoustic show . Like every sensible boy i went to see Rickie Lee & at the end went to the park & heard about 45 minutes of Annie. I felt so cool. I also remember smoking killer weed for both shows. Went with my bff John.

by Anonymousreply 42July 30, 2020 9:16 PM

i love the xmas album.

by Anonymousreply 43July 30, 2020 9:29 PM

God bless you r42 for being the last person on earth to know who Rickie Lee Jones was.

by Anonymousreply 44July 30, 2020 9:59 PM

I’ve always liked her but I don’t buy her as a soul singer...her voice is like a glacier

by Anonymousreply 45July 30, 2020 10:03 PM

“She goes on and on and fucking on about girls and women and the patriarchy and how bad all men are and women are somehow still suffering like slaves, etc. etc.”

Welll, she is fucking right, you dumb twat. Men cause endless suffering and brutality in the world. That doesn’t mean she doesn’t like all men.

by Anonymousreply 46July 30, 2020 10:12 PM

"If women had been in charge of civilization, we would still be living in grass huts."

by Anonymousreply 47July 30, 2020 10:20 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 30, 2020 10:34 PM

OP = Madonna fan angry that Annie called out Madonna’s Covid quackery.

by Anonymousreply 49July 30, 2020 10:35 PM

Cool to see Dave working his magic in this video. Lennox was still at her creative peak here. No cliches in this song. After Savage the only place she could go was down. I think Eurythmics success was 80% due to Dave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 30, 2020 10:42 PM

Savage was their masterpiece.Brilliant concept album.

by Anonymousreply 51July 30, 2020 10:50 PM

You say why? Don’t ask me why.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 30, 2020 10:53 PM

The album they came out with after getting back together was spectacularly awful. Just absolute dogshit and worse than anything they did together previously or that Lennox did solo.

Sometimes musicians just run out of creative steam as they get older.

by Anonymousreply 53July 30, 2020 10:54 PM

I'd say the Eurythmics were at least 50-50. Lennox solo was never as good, but Dave Stewart has never done much of interest outside the band either. Plus Annie was the perfect visual icon for the early years of MTV. Still remember getting a little thrill every time the video for "Who's That Girl" came on.

And yes, Savage was brilliant. Too bad it never really found a place in the marketplace of 1987.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 30, 2020 11:01 PM

Dave was married to Banarama girl when her group (and he co-wrote) released Stay. One of the best songs of the 90s. Brilliant in every possible way. Shows the incredible mastery of Dave. This was back when songcraft actually meant something. Before auto-tune killed real singers forever.

by Anonymousreply 55July 30, 2020 11:03 PM

R55, you better hope and pray that you wake one day and know how to post a link.

by Anonymousreply 56July 30, 2020 11:08 PM

R42, did she play Central Park to promote Diva too? I know she did when Medusa was released in 1995. I have the DVD.

by Anonymousreply 57July 30, 2020 11:09 PM

I always thought 17 Again sort of told their story. ‘You with all your jewelry and my bleeding heart.’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 30, 2020 11:44 PM

R56 yes cunt. Fo sho.

by Anonymousreply 59July 31, 2020 12:10 AM

R57 that’s it! Medusa! It really was killer weed!!

by Anonymousreply 60July 31, 2020 12:23 AM

That “Bananarama girl” was the brilliant Siobhan Fahey, whose solo work has mostly flown under the radar (sadly for those who’ve not heard it), but whom this listener find far more talented and enigmatic than either of the Eurythmics. Not just her voice, songs and look, but her lyrics, especially.

Here is a recent song, as Shakespear’s Sister.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 1, 2020 12:33 PM

Annie Lennox recently toured with an "art" exhibit that landed here in North Adams, MA. North Adams is a very depressed area that somebody always seems to be breathing life into. It never works.

The "show" was a bunch of items (trash basically) nailed to walls. It was the Emperors' New Clothes.

As for the music, I was in until the last Christmas Album. I found it painful.

by Anonymousreply 62August 1, 2020 1:14 PM

So OP makes an argument that as a solo artist, Annie Lennox is a terrible songwriter and then cites an album of covers as "evidence": [quote]I am clearing old songs off my computer and I cannot believe how terrible most of her solo songs are, especially all the crap on Medusa. Her songs are like Madonna's. Filled with cliches and tired tropes.

R1 points it out: [quote]Uh, Medusa is all cover songs...

OP responds: [quote]thanks for pointing that out genius. Google doesn't work on my puter to tell me it is all crappy cover songs that she ruins.

Instead of admitting a rather large flaw in his argument, he doubles down.

I'm speechless, lol. What planet am I on?

by Anonymousreply 63August 1, 2020 1:21 PM

I usually despise Cinesnatch’s opinions, but this time, the tranny’s right on the money

OP sucks ass

by Anonymousreply 64August 1, 2020 1:35 PM

I didn’t like the Christmas album, either. I did like that one Toris Amos did, the name of which escapes me.

by Anonymousreply 65August 1, 2020 1:35 PM

Diva and Medusa were both very well done.

Sometimes I just don't know what some posters are listening to or talking about.

by Anonymousreply 66August 1, 2020 1:36 PM

I liked the xmas album - i was surprised by it (that she even did one) but then i don’t really care about xmas music. I wasn’t into her standards lp.

by Anonymousreply 67August 1, 2020 1:51 PM

Maybe she's all wrote-out. Several of their 80s songs had memorable lyrics. But they were sad, dystopian-type lines. Then she got rich and happy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 1, 2020 2:09 PM

R66, OP just wanted an excuse to discuss the fact it’s time for Annie to fall in love with neck coverings like the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 69August 1, 2020 2:48 PM

She’s boring old lady frau music. Have always thought she blew.

by Anonymousreply 70August 1, 2020 3:03 PM

What about "Step By Step" written by Annie and recorded by the great Whitney Houston.

by Anonymousreply 71August 1, 2020 3:21 PM

R71 annie recorded it for Diva. Her version is very annie.

by Anonymousreply 72August 1, 2020 4:49 PM

An ie Lennox Step By Step

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 1, 2020 4:51 PM

One of her songs inspired this performance, and that's all I need.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 1, 2020 5:41 PM

"A bunch of trash" about nails Annie Lennox.

by Anonymousreply 75August 1, 2020 8:47 PM

R73 Yes. "Line by line" should have been Whitney's epitaph. Being a lifelong crack/coke whore.

by Anonymousreply 76August 1, 2020 8:51 PM

R76, you drown a gravy boat of columbian without going suicidal. That hurts.

by Anonymousreply 77August 1, 2020 10:07 PM

Money can’t buy it. Is one of the greatest songs ever

by Anonymousreply 78August 1, 2020 10:49 PM

Love is a Stranger is a classic but that’s Eurythmics

by Anonymousreply 79August 3, 2020 9:50 PM

R79 No way! R u serious? We never knew that. You're the first one to ever point this out. You're a fucking genius.

by Anonymousreply 80August 4, 2020 12:13 AM

Diva is flawless from start to finish. OP, I'd love to know the artists you kept on your computer.

by Anonymousreply 81August 4, 2020 12:47 AM

This performance blew me away. Eclectic Diva.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82August 4, 2020 6:49 AM

One of the greatest voices in pop. A white soul singer who can handle having black back up singers and dominate vocally. She is a woman, why shouldn’t she concern herself with issues concerning women and girls. As for Paglia’s comment “If women had been in charge of civilization, we would still be living in grass huts”, that is neither here nor there but typical Paglia pandering to the male ego which she does constantly.

by Anonymousreply 83August 15, 2020 3:14 AM

Diva is from 1992. You old coots are speaking of her career in the present perfect as if 1992 was a few years ago. She is a very old lady and has been a braying banshee since 1992.

by Anonymousreply 84August 15, 2020 3:21 AM

She's 65.

by Anonymousreply 85August 15, 2020 3:39 AM

Yes, Billie Eilish's grandmother's age, + some wiggle room. For chrissakes.

by Anonymousreply 86August 15, 2020 3:49 AM

Annie Lennox hit her peak with Savage. All downhill from there.

by Anonymousreply 87August 15, 2020 10:44 AM

You're right, R87. A critically acclaimed solo album. The Grammys, The Golden Globe, The Oscar. Annie went downhill faster than Sonny Bono after Savage.

by Anonymousreply 88August 15, 2020 10:55 AM

Diva, Medusa and Bare are excellent albums.

Natalie Merchant’s 2014 self-titled album is also excellent.

by Anonymousreply 89August 15, 2020 11:08 AM

Her last album of all-new material was Songs of Mass Destruction 13 years ago. It was boring. She’s only had 3 albums of all-new material. All the others are cover albums. She said that she has to be depressed in order to write. She used to play with her image. She gave up on that years ago. She just looks and sounds boring now.

by Anonymousreply 90August 15, 2020 11:11 AM

She's an old, shriveled up, horrendously aged Scotsman. I doubt she's riding or leaving any hot cock to inspire her now that she's in her 70s.

by Anonymousreply 91August 15, 2020 11:22 AM

I understand that this site welcomes pointless bitchery, but I can't step into the mind of someone who feels compelled to drag Annie Lennox out of all things in this world.

by Anonymousreply 92August 15, 2020 12:00 PM

Considering how terrible Annie Lennox looks, it'd be a miracle if she survived the Rona. Betty White will still be here at 110.

by Anonymousreply 93August 15, 2020 12:04 PM

[quote] I doubt she's riding or leaving any hot cock to inspire her now that she's in her 70s.

Leaving?

by Anonymousreply 94August 15, 2020 1:00 PM

Her new husband is cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 15, 2020 1:01 PM

R3 / OP are you the only person in the world who can’t work the Googles on your puter? Are you slow? How can you not know the songs are covers?! It’s the whole point of the fucking album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96August 15, 2020 1:10 PM

R96 that has already been called out, stupid fuck. And her husband is not cute or good looking in the least.

by Anonymousreply 97August 15, 2020 1:18 PM

R97 in a rage pounding away at the keyboard with your fat sausage fingers again at your “puter” in your basement again OP? Lol, you are quite amusing.

by Anonymousreply 98August 15, 2020 1:23 PM

R98 Fuck off Janbot. We all block you at the first stench but you always come back. Blocked again.

by Anonymousreply 99August 15, 2020 1:24 PM

R65 Clitoris Amos?

by Anonymousreply 100August 15, 2020 2:09 PM

R99 we can smell the stench of Madonna's decay on you from a mile away

by Anonymousreply 101August 15, 2020 2:11 PM

But wait, R99/OP, I thought I was Janbot.

by Anonymousreply 102August 15, 2020 2:22 PM

Je suis Janbot

by Anonymousreply 103August 15, 2020 2:28 PM

Any revolting cunt is Janbot.

by Anonymousreply 104August 15, 2020 6:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!