Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mystery Seeds from China? Anybody get any?

First China murder hornets tearing apart our beehives and now Chinese seeds arriving on our shores. Just curious if a lot came over. And how come they can’t tell what kind of seeds they are?

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2020 10:19 AM

People aren't getting all the same kinds of seeds, OP. One of the online articles showed several of the packages received in the mail, and each mailing envelope contained different seeds. I knew what two of them in the photos were: nigella sativa and something from the cabbage family. But that doesn't mean they're safe. They could have been coated with something that will persist and spread in the soil, such as fungus spores (think anthrax). For instance, seeds in the cabbage family can carry clostridium spores from the soil their parent plants had grown in, so they are routinely given a hot water treatment before they are packaged for sale, because otherwise the clostridium will spread and infect the soils the seeds end up planted in.

The States Departments of Agriculture are asking people who receive these packages to send them to them for testing. Don't throw them away, don't plant them, send them to the experts for testing and safe disposal.

by Anonymousreply 1July 28, 2020 11:06 PM

R1) thanks, I must have missed that the seeds were different.

by Anonymousreply 2July 29, 2020 12:16 AM

I wonder when we find out it was a false flag operation put on by tRumps government?

by Anonymousreply 3July 29, 2020 12:54 AM

Join us

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 29, 2020 12:55 AM

Updated

A federal agency said it had identified 14 types of plants from unsolicited packages of seeds that appeared to have been mailed from China, revealing a “mix of ornamental, fruit and vegetable, herb and weed species.”

Among the plant species botanists have identified so far: cabbage, hibiscus, lavender, mint, morning glory, mustard, rose, rosemary and sage, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.

All 50 states have since issued warnings about the unsolicited packages and the inspection service said it had been sent packets from at least 22 states.

Doyle Crenshaw of Booneville, Ark., said he had planted some of the unsolicited seeds he got.

“I told my wife, ‘They don’t look like any flower seed I had ever seen,’” he said on Sunday.

Mr. Crenshaw said he had ordered blue zinnia seeds from Amazon, but when he got the package about two months ago, it contained the blue zinnia seeds as well as seed packets he did not order.

The package label read “studded earrings” and “China,” he said.

“It’s a really pretty plant,” he said, describing what grew from the unsolicited seeds. “It looks like a giant squash plant.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2020 10:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!