Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Former head of Marvel Television once told the show's writers 'nobody cares about Chinese people and Asian people'

"Daredevil" actor Peter Shinkoda says the former head of Marvel Television, Jeph Loeb, once told the show's writers that "nobody cares about Chinese people and Asian people."

Shinkoda, who played Nobu in the series, was speaking on a panel on July 25, part of the virtual #SaveDardevilCon event, alongside fellow "Daredevil" actors Geoffrey Cantor and Tommy Walker.

"I'm kind of reluctant to say this," he began, before saying: "I just have to. I'm not into protecting certain things any more."

"Jeph Loeb told the writers room not to write for Nobu and Gao, and this was reiterated many times by many of the writers and showrunners," Shinkoda said of the two Asian characters.

He quoted Loeb as saying: "Nobody cares about Chinese people and Asian people. There were three previous Marvel movies, a trilogy called 'Blade' that was made where Wesley Snipes killed 200 Asians each movie. Nobody gives a s--- so don't write about Nobu and Gao.'"

Shinkoda said that a backstory and more complex storyline for Kobu was then dropped because of Loeb's instruction. He also said several writers apologized to Shinkonda and said their "hands were tied."

Insider has reached out to Marvel Entertainment for comment.

Marvel Television previously came under fire in 2o16 for "whitewashing" fellow Netflix series "Iron Fist," casting white "Game of Thrones" actor Finn Jones in the lead role. Many thought an Asian actor should have been cast.

Cantor and Walker, who played Mitchell and Francis respectively, addressed the "Iron Fist" issue in the same conversation this week.

"If they missed any opportunity to show what they were made of, I thought perhaps it was in the 'Iron Fist' universe," Cantor said. Walker added that he thinks a lot of Marvel's material would "be handled very differently now."

Actor Anthony Mackie, who plays Falcon in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, recently called out Marvel for its lack of diversity.

Mackie told "Snowpiercer" star Daveed Diggs on Variety's "Actors on Actors" series: "It really bothered me that I've done seven Marvel movies where every producer, every director, every stunt person, every costume designer, every PA, every single person has been white."

Shinkoda played Nobu in nine episodes of the Netflix series. The virtual comic-con is a bid to try and get the show picked up again after the cast and crew were "saddened" that the show was cancelled before its fourth season.

The original deal between Marvel and Netflix stated that for two years afterwards, the show or any of its characters were not allowed to appear in any non-Netflix series or movies, as reported by Variety. That two-year waiting period is almost up, though, as the show was cancelled in late November 2018.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 3, 2020 6:06 PM

[quote] He quoted Loeb as saying: "Nobody cares about Chinese people and Asian people. There were three previous Marvel movies, a trilogy called 'Blade' that was made where Wesley Snipes killed 200 Asians each movie. Nobody gives a s--- so don't write about Nobu and Gao.'"

I don't watch Marvel stuff, but I believe that Loeb said that. Will be interesting to see what Loeb's response is.

by Anonymousreply 1July 27, 2020 7:08 PM

[quote] "Nobody cares about Chinese people and Asian people."

Well he's not wrong.

by Anonymousreply 2July 28, 2020 3:39 PM

From the studio that brought you [italic]Song of the South[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 3July 28, 2020 4:37 PM

I take it Loeb isn't a fan of AoS then.

by Anonymousreply 4July 28, 2020 5:43 PM

Anthony Mackie calls out Marvel once again and Kevin Feige who has been given vast power over Marvel is the only one who can "save" Daredevil tv show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 31, 2020 7:17 AM

No. The only Marvel show on Netflix worth reviving was Jessica Jones.

The first season of Daredevil was good in spite of The Giant Ham who shall not be named. And then it was quickly downhill from there.

Also, the lead actor needs to appear nearly naked in all of his scenes of his next tv show called, "Softcore Gay Comedy Bullshit Made Up By Ryan Murphy."

Working title.

Also, there will be feisty old broads who deserve more award nominations goddamnit! They are a national treasure. Especially that one who looks like she's about to break a hip and yet is still knocking boots with that other actress who's like 30 years away from being a feisty old broad and has too many award nominations already.

I mean, the Marcia Cross thing was deserved but enough already.

by Anonymousreply 6July 31, 2020 7:29 AM

"nobody cares..." is shorthand for "not enough people will care to make it profitable."

by Anonymousreply 7July 31, 2020 7:37 AM

Never happened.

by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2020 7:38 AM

They couldn't even have bothered to cast an Oriental as IRON FIST!

What's wrong with these people???

by Anonymousreply 9July 31, 2020 7:38 AM

Marvel TV may not love Shinkoda but the Zhōngyāng Diànshìtái do.

by Anonymousreply 10July 31, 2020 7:38 AM

This is so fucked up. I had no idea what this Jeph dude looked like, but now that I see it's like a potato that's been underwater for too long.

I've not seen the majority of the Netflix Marvel shows - just a few episodes of Daredevil and the first season of Jessica Jones, but I am definitely a fan of Marvel's Agents of SHIELD and that has a diverse cast, showrunners, and I would hope other crew too - and is better for it, IMO. Two of the lead characters are Asian-American and they are two of the best female characters on a genre show, so Mr Potato is talking out of his rotting asshole.

by Anonymousreply 11July 31, 2020 3:25 PM

Personally, I don't think those people should be in movies, television shows, OR commercials.

They're really annoying.

by Anonymousreply 12July 31, 2020 3:28 PM

Good luck finding another job

by Anonymousreply 13July 31, 2020 5:17 PM

Of course, the mob of racists on this forum defend this.

As a man who is attracted to Asian men, fuck you racists! You are the worst.

by Anonymousreply 14July 31, 2020 5:21 PM

Surprising given the movies themselves are massively marketed towards China.

by Anonymousreply 15July 31, 2020 5:31 PM

Isn't China a HUGE emerging market for this crap ... I mean, these great films?

by Anonymousreply 16July 31, 2020 5:34 PM

I don't give a rat's ass about Marvel anything. I'm so sick of all the shitty comic book movies.

by Anonymousreply 17July 31, 2020 5:34 PM

Can’t wait for Shang-Chi! Simu Liu is so hot and was meant to be in a tight superhero suit. Just saying lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 31, 2020 5:36 PM

If only this was enough to cancel shitty Marvel entirely.

by Anonymousreply 19July 31, 2020 5:37 PM

R17

Then why enter the thread if you don’t care and are so sick of it?

R19

Many of us enjoy them so fuck your selfish ass.

by Anonymousreply 20July 31, 2020 5:44 PM

Their effect on filmmaking has been disastrous at best, but we're "selfish" for wanting something better?

by Anonymousreply 21July 31, 2020 5:57 PM

He’s not Wong.

by Anonymousreply 22July 31, 2020 6:00 PM

R 18 & R20 are , just in case you wondered if he was a Marvel worshipper.

He is.

by Anonymousreply 23July 31, 2020 6:00 PM

[quote] As a man who is attracted to Asian men, fuck you racists! You are the worst.

Fuck off, rice queen!

You're disgusting!

by Anonymousreply 24July 31, 2020 6:32 PM

It does seem that Asians get ignored by Americans. (New York mayor Bill DeBlasio has outfight animosity toward Asians. Don’t get me started.)

Are we talking about American films? I will say that anime is an extremely popular niche, and also Korean horror movies.

by Anonymousreply 25July 31, 2020 6:40 PM

[quote] (New York mayor Bill DeBlasio has outfight animosity toward Asians. Don’t get me started.)

You need to learn English before you criticize our politicians, Mr. Chang.

by Anonymousreply 26July 31, 2020 6:44 PM

I made a typo and you think I’m Asian? That doesn’t even make any sense.

And yeah, I can criticize Big Bird. Sadly I voted for him twice. Hate his grifting wife and racist chancellor, too.

by Anonymousreply 27July 31, 2020 6:51 PM

Go back to your own country.

Then make movies with all your oriental actors.

Problem SOLVED.

by Anonymousreply 28July 31, 2020 6:56 PM

R28 fuck you racist asshole what makes you think that these actors are not in their own country? hope you get pancreatic cancer

by Anonymousreply 29July 31, 2020 7:21 PM

Orientals are hateful little things, aren't they?

(See R29)

by Anonymousreply 30July 31, 2020 7:22 PM

Mackie has continently forgotten about Taika Waititi, Black Panther and Luke Cage.

We need another charismatic Asian, like Bruce Lee to make Asians cool again.

by Anonymousreply 31July 31, 2020 7:57 PM

[Quote] We need another charismatic Asian, like Bruce Lee to make Asians cool again.

We did.

by Anonymousreply 32August 1, 2020 4:35 AM

I don't know r32, Jackie is more of a jester, Jet was too much a cypher for people-but of the two, Jet was definitely cooler, but not the magnitude that Bruce was- watch the doc on him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 1, 2020 1:15 PM

R31 Were you not alive during the 1990s John Woo resurgence?

by Anonymousreply 34August 1, 2020 1:19 PM

I'll ask you- how many kids or people wanted to be Bruce? You'll see it on Halloween too, not for Jackie or Jet. He actually brought martial arts to the Western screen.

I suppose Keanu is the next Asianish star that people consider cool.

by Anonymousreply 35August 1, 2020 2:06 PM

We don’t need rice!! Get rid of every single one of them! They do nothing except spread Chinese bat flu!!!

by Anonymousreply 36August 1, 2020 2:33 PM

I'm boycotting Marvel until Loeb has cleared the air.

by Anonymousreply 37August 1, 2020 2:44 PM

Lol R36.

by Anonymousreply 38August 1, 2020 2:46 PM

r34, the 90's was also 20-30 years ago, so that's pretty sad that that was the last time Asians were cool. In contrast, Black people were always cool.

by Anonymousreply 39August 1, 2020 3:44 PM

Dont know about Marvel and dont care to be honest, but that Peter Shinkoda is so hot, both incredibly handsome and beautiful. What a sexy man

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 1, 2020 4:18 PM

I just remember my delight when seeing "Jurassic Park" for the first time when B. D. Wong's Henry Wu made his first appearance in the dino nursery, my disappintment when he then vanished utterly fron the series, and my delight when he finally resurfaced in "Jurassic World." I relate to Henry because he's a geek like myself, just doing his damn job.

by Anonymousreply 41August 1, 2020 4:45 PM

Regarding Taika Waititi, it should be noted that his highest profile mainstream screen roles to date have been either voicing CGI characters in sci fi franchises or playing what amounts to whiteface roles in his own films (Viago in "What We Do In The Shadows" and Hitler in "Jojo Rabbit.") Prior to this, from what I've seen of his work as an actor in other people's projects, he tended to be relegated to small roles as the funny brown guy (most dismally in "Green Lantern" and "Seven Stages To Achieve Eternal Bliss.")

by Anonymousreply 42August 1, 2020 4:56 PM

Anthony Mackie was so bothered by the lack of diversity in Marvel movies that he did not one or even a couple but several of them.

by Anonymousreply 43August 1, 2020 5:00 PM

He means that including asian characters is not going to give marvel diversity points. Hes not wrong.

Sjws hate asians and anyone not black or trans.

by Anonymousreply 44August 1, 2020 5:03 PM

R41, he's a villain in the JW movies.

by Anonymousreply 45August 1, 2020 5:34 PM

Bruce Lee’s mother Grace Ho was Eurasian, contrary to popular belief she was half English and half Chinese, not half German half Chinese. Her family was part of the ruling elites in Hong Kong, the family was ethnically diverse with her uncle also Eurasian. One of her uncles (Bruce’s great uncle) was Robert Ho Tung, a man powerful enough that he was invited to be in the company of Queen Mary. Robert looked more European than Chinese. Bruce was the most Asian looking of his siblings, Bruce had a younger brother who looked definitely Eurasian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 1, 2020 6:01 PM

Charismatic Asians would make a good band name.

by Anonymousreply 47August 1, 2020 6:02 PM

My friend was up for directing, "Green Hornet" and ultimately passed on it. When he was looking at casting Kato (Bruce originally played), I suggested this guy, who is 6'1", Yale grad and can do his own stunts. Friend (who is Asian mind you) said, "No" and I said, "Are you crazy? He's perfect!". He replied, "He's too good looking and cool and will pull focus from whomever GH is". Like anyone remembers who played the first GH.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 1, 2020 7:37 PM

Marvel's next phase includes a Shang-Chi movie, so an Asian lead., to go along with the Asian characters in Dr Strange and Eternals, and on TV Agents of Shield, Daredevil and Iron Fist. It doesn't seem that bad at all.

by Anonymousreply 49August 1, 2020 9:42 PM

The audience is white male nerds. The only Asians they're interested in are anime girls.

by Anonymousreply 50August 1, 2020 10:42 PM

R48 Hot!

by Anonymousreply 51August 1, 2020 11:13 PM

r51, indeed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 1, 2020 11:59 PM

Gross, R52.

He's ugly.

Give me Chris Hemsworth any day. He's a REAL man.

by Anonymousreply 53August 2, 2020 12:46 AM

So happy to have yet ANOTHER thread full of racists to FF/block.

by Anonymousreply 54August 2, 2020 12:45 PM

R48 I'm 90% sure it was Seth Rogen lol

R39 even cooler when they're together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 2, 2020 1:03 PM

It’s so wonderful to have people like r54 to upset!!

by Anonymousreply 56August 2, 2020 1:28 PM

r18 he won't be in a tight superhero suit. He was never a spanex wearing super hero think of him more like a Bruce Lee rip off. Speaking of I wonder what Jim Lee thinks of that comment about asian people. He was responsible for the 90's xmen look that lead to their ultimate success.

by Anonymousreply 57August 2, 2020 3:31 PM

R57 thats a shame. If we cant see him in a tight, form fitting superhero suit that wraps around his cute bubble butt and cups his balls and cock, can we at least see him naked then, or in a speedo?, same for Peter Shinkoda, love to see him naked

R48 damn that is hot all right

by Anonymousreply 58August 2, 2020 4:19 PM

"Is he the gay?" "Well, I don't know if he's THE gay, Ma" - Margaret Cho.

by Anonymousreply 59August 2, 2020 5:11 PM

Holy shit, I can’t believe the number of vile comments here.

by Anonymousreply 60August 2, 2020 5:39 PM

Hollywood needs to stop pandering to these racist imperialist scumbags. As far as I’m concerned, all the major studios are complicit in their crimes against humanity, especially Disney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 2, 2020 6:23 PM

[quote]Go back to your own country.

You first, Whitey. You weren't the native people here.

by Anonymousreply 62August 3, 2020 6:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!