Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lisa Kudrow/The Comeback Possibly Heading to Broadway

Lisa Kudrow could come to Broadway — as her character on HBO’s “The Comeback,” Valerie Cherish.

Sources told Page Six that Kudrow is being wooed to the stage by various shows after she said in a recent interview that if cult hit “The Comeback” came back for a third season, she envisioned Val — a formerly famous sitcom star trying to revive her career — taking on a Broadway role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 30, 2020 6:43 AM

!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1July 26, 2020 12:00 AM

I would love this!!

by Anonymousreply 2July 26, 2020 12:01 AM

I DO need to see that!

by Anonymousreply 3July 26, 2020 12:06 AM

Who would play Mickey???

by Anonymousreply 4July 26, 2020 12:17 AM

She is so one-note.

by Anonymousreply 5July 26, 2020 12:18 AM

I loved Lisa in The Comeback. Hope the series gets a third season. The idea of Val on Broadway has great comic possibilities!

by Anonymousreply 6July 26, 2020 1:49 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 7July 26, 2020 7:58 PM

This must happen.

by Anonymousreply 8July 26, 2020 8:00 PM

RIP Mickey, but Val could find some other geriatric queen to be her sidekick.

by Anonymousreply 9July 26, 2020 8:01 PM

Ross Matthews is the perfect replacement for Mickey!

by Anonymousreply 10July 26, 2020 8:04 PM

In the recent Comeback Reunion show it was suggested Valerie should be appearing in Chicago on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 11July 26, 2020 8:06 PM

😴😴😴😴

by Anonymousreply 12July 26, 2020 8:06 PM

Sorry, no Mickey, no 3rd season. He's an essential character. The show won't work without him.

They could try. but it doesn't make it a good idea.

I'm sure there's also fans of Archie Bunker's Place, but there's not many.

by Anonymousreply 13July 26, 2020 8:39 PM

If they're smart they'll get Nathan Lane for Mickey. And make it a musical.

by Anonymousreply 14July 26, 2020 9:57 PM

Nathan Lane should never work again, much less in this classic comedy.

by Anonymousreply 15July 27, 2020 4:04 AM

There is no more broadway ever again people!!

Delusional optimists most of your are

by Anonymousreply 16July 27, 2020 4:13 AM

Lisa actually said this back when The Comeback's first season debuted. That she envisioned Valerie in a different situation each season, including on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 17July 27, 2020 4:30 AM

I am rewatching the second season. Mickey and Valerie's relationship was so touching in season 2. I don't think there is anyone who can replace Mickey. Maybe a new character or hair stylist. I love Valerie Cherish.

by Anonymousreply 18October 24, 2020 9:06 AM

People die. Other characters can be created. Lisa is the star and it would be hilarious to see her dealing with theater people. It would actually be hilarious to see her dealing with quarantine.

This was the original concept for The Comeback that Lisa and the producers articulated in the first season — Valerie would be in a different situation each season, including Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 19October 24, 2020 9:17 AM

I still can't get over Lisa's performance. I was not a Friends fan - I thought it was just too basic and boring. Valerie's facial expression from embarrassment to range to utter defeat are so on point. I think this is why this wasn't a mainstream hit. A lot of viewers felt the awkwardness which made the viewer uncomfortable. A testament to Lisa. This character is so much more complex than smelly cat. Season 2 makes me really emotional.

by Anonymousreply 20October 24, 2020 5:51 PM

Just as long as it isn't like Marcie X, where Kudrow sang about handbags.

by Anonymousreply 21October 24, 2020 6:49 PM

If Cabaret were still running, Valerie could definitely be a Sally Bowles, who isn't supposed to be talented anyway. Not the first actress they'd cast in a revival but one of the replacement Sallies, like Gina Gershon and Jane Leeves were.

by Anonymousreply 22October 24, 2020 7:43 PM

It would be interesting to have a subplot with Malin Ackerman's character trying to transition into more prestige roles or maybe producing now that her days as Blonde of the Moment are over She could bond with Valerie over being an older woman in the industry, though since she's always supposed to be Valerie's more successful foil, I'm sure she'd end up winning an Oscar for an unglamorous role like Charlize Theron in Monster.

by Anonymousreply 23October 24, 2020 7:46 PM

I like the idea of Chicago. It's where all the has-beens and D-listers go to be "on Broadway."

by Anonymousreply 24October 24, 2020 7:46 PM

The new Mickey should be Cole Escola.

by Anonymousreply 25October 24, 2020 7:47 PM

Can Cole Escola act? I have only seen him in Difficult People where he does something...else.

by Anonymousreply 26October 24, 2020 8:23 PM

I believe they’re talking about Valerie going to Broadway on the TV show. Not a real Bway show based on The Comeback.

by Anonymousreply 27October 24, 2020 8:28 PM

People respond to headlines instead of reading the articles. Drives me nuts.

by Anonymousreply 28October 24, 2020 8:30 PM

I was thinking the other day. This show actually is my favorite show of all time.

My favorites are The Sopranos, SFU, Girls (fuck you- it was a great show) Mad Men, The Comeback, and Breaking Bad.

But The Comeback- its literally funny every second. Every minute has a classic moment, line, and truth in it.

I fucking DESPISE Friends. But Lisa Kudrow is in my top 5 actresses of all time. She is lightning in a bottle as Valerie Cherish.

by Anonymousreply 29October 24, 2020 8:35 PM

R25- That is fucking PERFECT.

by Anonymousreply 30October 24, 2020 8:35 PM

R29, you have good taste.

by Anonymousreply 31October 24, 2020 8:38 PM

The last episode of the 2nd season made me sob...It's sort of a perfect ending for the whole series. That said, who wouldn't want to see Valerie on Broadway! Maybe have some Broadway walk ons, like the Weisslers.

I wonder is this idea comes from Blonde In The Thunderbird starring Susanne Sommers.

by Anonymousreply 32October 24, 2020 8:50 PM

Try again: Blonde In The Thunderbird:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 24, 2020 8:50 PM

R32- Agreed.

The part where she bursts out of the auditorium and the show is on FILM for the first time?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 34October 24, 2020 8:53 PM

[quote]The last episode of the 2nd season made me sob...It's sort of a perfect ending for the whole series.

Agree. When Valerie revealed that she COULD think of someone else instead of herself, that was the end to her character's arc.

He obtuseness to the needs of others -- "let's put a pin in that" -- was her character. It's what made her so funny.

I think the series ended perfectly. I don't think it's a good idea to go back to the well.

by Anonymousreply 35October 24, 2020 8:56 PM

Now, now r33, you know the bit that should have brought her a Tony...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 24, 2020 8:56 PM

[quote]I think the series ended perfectly. I don't think it's a good idea to go back to the well.

It's one of those things where I'd love to see Lisa as Val again but I just can't get over how perfect the second season finale was.

I'd also miss having Mickey around, the one character she consistently cared about more than herself right up to the end.

RIP Robert Michael Morris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 24, 2020 9:08 PM

This is from Morris' bio (really!) The path to Hollywood was an unusual one for Morris. Born and raised in Kentucky, Morris joined a religious order called The Society of Mary.

by Anonymousreply 38October 24, 2020 9:12 PM

Just bring it back already! Everyone wants it. What is the holdup?

by Anonymousreply 39October 24, 2020 9:13 PM

Astonishingly, I don't think the series ever got large ratings.

by Anonymousreply 40October 24, 2020 9:15 PM

The Society of Mary!

by Anonymousreply 41October 24, 2020 9:15 PM

It's not a high rating show, which is the problem. You either get it or you don't. I wish there was a new series every year, but doing them sporadically makes them feel thought and like a special treat, I had really wanted Big Little Lies 2 and they cranked it out. It sucked and made me realize sometimes it's better to be left wanting more.

by Anonymousreply 42October 24, 2020 9:42 PM

Leslie Jordan for Mickey

by Anonymousreply 43October 24, 2020 9:45 PM

I know its not high rated but HBO said that whenever Lisa wanted to return for season 3 she had an open invitation

by Anonymousreply 44October 24, 2020 10:08 PM

Not high rated but critically acclaimed and a cult favorite.

And I'm sure it's not lost on them that no one really talks about Entourage anymore but The Comeback is still held in high regard by those who "got it."

Even from those who didn't, many won't deny Lisa did excellent work.

HBO isn't Netflix and they still leave room for shows like that. I also reckon that it wasn't expensive to produce at all.

by Anonymousreply 45October 24, 2020 10:29 PM

Like an earlier poster, I also remember reading that HBO said they'll order a season 3 if Lisa wants to do it.

Any cable network would kill for the cult following this show has developed, and the free publicity that's built-in.

by Anonymousreply 46October 24, 2020 11:08 PM

Cole Escola's actually not a horrible suggestion for Mickey 2.0. He's much funnier on his IG posts (lots of self-produced videos) than he ever was on 'Difficult People'. As long as it's not the dreadful Billy Eichner, I'd even settle for one of DL's beloved black trans faves to show up! (I doubt 'The Comeback' would go in that direction, anyway. Val would be incredibly uncomfortable with a minority tranny as her assistant.) If Kudrow and Michael Patrick King work on S3 together, no doubt it'll be fine. They've learned the nuances of her character and the dramedy surrounding her.

by Anonymousreply 47October 25, 2020 12:37 AM

There's no way they'll recast Mickey with another actor.

by Anonymousreply 48October 25, 2020 12:40 AM

Since there was such a long gap between Season 1 and Season 2, an older Valerie on Broadway in 2030 could be good.

by Anonymousreply 49October 25, 2020 12:46 AM

R18 Where can you watch season 2? I lived the first season but couldn’t get through the first episode of season 2 and wish I’d stuck Ruth it.

by Anonymousreply 50October 25, 2020 2:51 AM

HBOMax R50

by Anonymousreply 51October 25, 2020 3:09 AM

I remember when they thought about doing the 2nd season and people were unsure if anther season would be as good. I think it would be fun to see Valerie lampoon Broadway society like she did with LA.

by Anonymousreply 52October 25, 2020 3:20 AM

Valerie should be in a revival of Follies.

by Anonymousreply 53October 25, 2020 3:24 AM

A revival of APPlAUSE. The whole season. Episodes could start with the rehearsals, to being out of town before Broadway, then previews in NY. Opening Night party. The reviews. It writes itself.

by Anonymousreply 54October 25, 2020 3:28 AM

I'm Aliiiiiive! I'm Aliiiiiiiiiiiiive!

by Anonymousreply 55October 25, 2020 3:29 AM

[quote]Val would be incredibly uncomfortable with a minority tranny as her assistant.

Is there any reason to be this nasty and distasteful? I think you'd have the problem.

That being said it'd be fun to have Angelica Ross as her personal stylist/makeup artist who she is totally okay with being trans but makes her insecure since she somehow she always manages to dress and have better makeup than her. Then she'd agonize over how to address it without making her think she dislikes her, manages to eventually but somehow her makeup turns out worse. That is the kind of uncomfortable Valerie Cherish thing that would happen.

by Anonymousreply 56October 25, 2020 3:35 AM

Valerie Cherish IS Donna Summer in Summer: The Donna Summer Musucal!

by Anonymousreply 57October 25, 2020 3:53 AM

[quote]RIP Mickey, but Val could find some other geriatric queen to be her sidekick.

They'd have to write a backstory. The Val-Mickey bit was based on their long history together.

by Anonymousreply 58October 25, 2020 4:06 AM

I would love it. It I would prefer more TV episodes. It works perfectly as an abbreviated series. The problem is - if it can’t get past one season, how can it get a Broadway audience? Who is even thinking about Broadway now? There will be a huge backlog of productions.

Bring back The Comeback for another TV season - please!

by Anonymousreply 59October 25, 2020 4:08 AM

Jane? Jane?

by Anonymousreply 60October 25, 2020 4:10 AM

[quote]Val would be incredibly uncomfortable with a minority tranny as her assistant.

Mickey wasn't her assistant anyway. He was Val's hairdresser.

by Anonymousreply 61October 25, 2020 5:28 AM

Remember season 1 when Val had the little person from The Amazing Race as an assistant? That was funny.

by Anonymousreply 62October 25, 2020 6:16 AM

I enjoyed nathan lane in pennywise: city of angels. Eat a dick r15.

by Anonymousreply 63October 25, 2020 12:18 PM

Fuck off, hater R5.

by Anonymousreply 64October 25, 2020 5:51 PM

Kudrow is not one note. Anything but. She is very multi dimensional. The Comeback and her other projects post friends have proved she has way more to offer than Phoebe.

by Anonymousreply 65October 25, 2020 6:02 PM

I'm the same as r20. I never watched Friends, but the Comeback just blew me away. Fantastic show, and Kudrow is very talented.

by Anonymousreply 66October 25, 2020 7:20 PM

The thing about the Valerie Cherish character is that there are moments that were so poignant in a comedic series. Kudrow just knocked it out of the park.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 25, 2020 7:22 PM

Another great moment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 25, 2020 7:23 PM

Another great moment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 25, 2020 7:23 PM

[quote]Astonishingly, I don't think the series ever got large ratings.

It was too smart and clever for a huge segment of the American viewing public.

by Anonymousreply 70October 25, 2020 7:50 PM

The failure of The Comeback to generate ratings/viewers is one of the great disappointments of the modern era of quality TV. Such a great show that only a few gay friends ever watched. Maybe it is a gay sensibility? Though not sure how.

by Anonymousreply 71October 25, 2020 10:00 PM

I was talking to my friend about this and she only watched 2 episodes back in the day. You either get or you don't. I think gay men or this gay man can relate to her successes, failures, and that feeling of not quite belonging. There are moments that are emotional like when she recalls how she was treated badly by her volleyball team because she had scoliosis in high school, but always showed up to cheer on the team even though they didn't want her.

Her relationship with Mickey in season 2 was just the best and now that Mickey has passed away it made rewatching season 2 bitter sweet.

by Anonymousreply 72October 26, 2020 7:33 AM

A third season wouldn't work for me. They structured the season two finale to be THE finale; it even stops being filmed like a reality show at one point when Val walks out of the awards show or whatever and the cinematography changes. If they tried to do a third season and resume the reality show angle, it would feel like such a cowardly retread. When they ended it, they had been committed to ending it. To go back now says they've run out of ideas and made a mistake and have to undo the way they ended the show because they need to cash in. (Not unlike Will & Grace, which undid its original ending, saying no one wanted to see Will or Grace as parents, only to repeat that very fucking storyline in the reboot.)

by Anonymousreply 73October 27, 2020 1:00 AM

I thought that I had read shortly after the release of season 2 that Kudrow and King said they would always be open to a season 3. It would just have to be the right time and idea. I wouldn't Valerie pop up every 5-10 year. I like the idea of Val trying to conquer broadway with the theatre queens. it's a totally different world from Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 74October 27, 2020 1:04 AM

The only way Val could get on Broadway would be one of those Chicago guest runs. That might be fun for an HBO movie, but I can't see a whole season about that.

by Anonymousreply 75October 27, 2020 1:23 AM

I agree about not a third season. BUT, having Valerie deal with theatre queens would be alot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 76October 27, 2020 1:23 AM

r73 is making shit up, stating his incorrect personal opinion as fact. As another poster just mentioned, Kudrow and King were always open to doing another season and never committed to ending the show for good with season 2. And I guarantee you when there is a season 3, this posters snooty ass will be watching along with the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 77October 27, 2020 2:39 AM

Fuck off R77. My ass is superior to yours; its smoothness is deserved.

by Anonymousreply 78October 27, 2020 2:49 AM

r78 again gives no evidence to support his false claims and delusional analysis, but does demonstrate some sort of brain injury with his humorless non sequiturs

by Anonymousreply 79October 27, 2020 2:59 AM

"gives no evidence to support his false claims and delusional analysis"

Uh, I watched the actual show, dumbass. Go ahead. Watch the final episode. The cinematography changes and the reality show concept that framed the show the entire two seasons is dropped. That means something that obviously has flown over your limited intelligence. And I never said I wouldn't watch a third season; I said it wouldn't work for me. (Reading comprehension is something you may want to practice just a bit more.) That said, I don't make threads all about me so, while you're probably one of those that comes to DL to derail threads and get a simulation of people caring what you think. . .I'm not.. So, adios, douche.

Everyone else, resume the topic.

by Anonymousreply 80October 27, 2020 3:08 AM

Timeout, Jane!

by Anonymousreply 81October 27, 2020 3:22 AM

I'm all for any more episodes of Valerie Cherish. Not every season is going to be a stunner, no matter what you watch. But adding in the Broadway aspect would be great.

She did a fantastic job with this show - no need to stop. There are plenty of stories that could be told with this character.

by Anonymousreply 82October 27, 2020 3:27 AM

r80 likes to talk and talk about himself but never addresses my actual point which is that he falsely insists that the creators structured the last show to be a series finale, that they "committed to ending it", and it would therefore be "cowardly" of them to do a 3rd season. We all saw the last show, but it is only he who falsely infers that its cinematographic approach supports these absurd conclusions, and arrogantly repeats them as fact. He willfully ignores the truth, that the creators are on record as stating exactly the opposite of his claims, as myself and other posters have mentioned, and that he therefore comes off as a patronizing know-it-all who actually knows nothing. We don't need to see that!

by Anonymousreply 83October 27, 2020 9:29 AM

My God, your life is small, R83.

by Anonymousreply 84October 27, 2020 3:17 PM

Valerie Cherish is getting me through life right now. Can we please show some reverence?!?!?!?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 30, 2020 6:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!