Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Maureen Dowd the Worst Opinion Writer for a major publication?

How has she remained employed at the New York Times for so many years?

by Anonymousreply 92March 28, 2021 12:28 PM

I don't have a problem with her, OP; I usually agree with what she says. She could say it differently, but its still effective, i think.

by Anonymousreply 1July 15, 2020 5:20 AM

She’s right.

She’s awesome.

by Anonymousreply 2July 15, 2020 5:21 AM

How? She's hilarious about serious matters. Because she's occasionally caustic but not heartless. Because she's an excellent writer and political journalist. I've read her every week since the early 90's.

by Anonymousreply 3July 15, 2020 5:33 AM

OP, you probably just dislike her because of her longstanding hate boner for the Clintons.

by Anonymousreply 4July 15, 2020 5:36 AM

It's because of all her street cred when it comes to edibles, OP.

by Anonymousreply 5July 15, 2020 5:40 AM

The competition is tough but she's certainly a contender.

by Anonymousreply 6July 15, 2020 5:42 AM

Hold my keyboard!

by Anonymousreply 7July 15, 2020 5:43 AM

There was always something subtly flirty and sex kitten-ish about Maureen, even though she was average-looking and middle-aged. It was an unusual demeanor for a respected journalist, and I really liked that about her. I bet she's a demon in the sack.

by Anonymousreply 8July 15, 2020 5:44 AM

I hope hope she stays employed long enough so we can hear her brother Kevin at Thanksgiving eating shit after the next election.

Then they can fire her.

by Anonymousreply 9July 15, 2020 5:45 AM

Other than hating Hillary, Maureen is usually spot on.

by Anonymousreply 10July 15, 2020 5:45 AM

Her writing is very average though. There are infinitely better writers in the British publications.

by Anonymousreply 11July 15, 2020 5:49 AM

I don't know why she's stayed at the job, but she got it because she was Howell Raines;mistress when the latter was the editor of the Times Op-Ed page. Raines later became the NYT's executive editor -- fired because of the Jayson Blair scandal, although that was far, far from the worst Times atrocity that he was responsible for.

Before she was an editorial writer she proferred her gossip under the rubric of international news, believe it or not.

by Anonymousreply 12July 15, 2020 5:49 AM

[quote] Other than hating Hillary, Maureen is usually spot on.

You mean like when she talked about how manly George W. was, and how she flirted with him?

by Anonymousreply 13July 15, 2020 6:14 AM

Cheap journalism.

by Anonymousreply 14July 15, 2020 9:49 AM

She’s more pickled than me.

by Anonymousreply 15July 15, 2020 9:57 AM

Daddy Issues to the moon 🌝 & back. Comes from a super right wing family that spooge all over the walls when she goes anti-Clintons.

by Anonymousreply 16July 15, 2020 10:02 AM

What R10 said

Other than an inability to write a column without weaving in a disparaging comment about the Clintons (both of them, not just Her), I have not real complaints about her writing and she is often funny and readable.

There are many, many worse Op Ed Columnists at the NYT alone.

Ir order of awfulness, from worst to less awful:

Charles Blow

Thomas Edsall

Kara Swisher

Charlie Wurtzel

David Brooks

Tom Friedman

by Anonymousreply 17July 15, 2020 2:11 PM

The real Alex Forrest!

by Anonymousreply 18July 15, 2020 5:54 PM

R17 Not David Brooks or Tom Friedman, please! They are both excellent writers and David Brooks is often able to use humor in his opinion pieces.

by Anonymousreply 19July 15, 2020 6:50 PM

Hate Maureen Dowd and her dried up old snatch. She’s a man crazed old slut who would throw anyone who got in her way under the bus unless it was a man and then she’d reflexively drop to her knees.

Old cunt, get rid of her.

by Anonymousreply 20July 16, 2020 9:04 AM

I hope hope she stays employed long enough so we can hear her brother Kevin at Thanksgiving eating shit after the next election.

I agree; I want to read about a Dowd family holiday where they all go "Red Wedding" on Kevin & kill him for his support of Dump, "Joe Biden sends his regards!" before the plunge the turkey carving knife in his chest.

But after that, she should be fired. She's like the Sally Quinn of the NYT - someone who may have be interesting & insightful (or kept a job through good blow jobs - whatever) at one point in time, but has long since outlived her usefulness. Eventually the WP got fed up with Sally and dumped her. Hopefully the NYT will wise up as well.

by Anonymousreply 21July 16, 2020 9:14 AM

Stopped reading her a long time ago. Is she still droning on about the Clintons?

Also stopped reading Krugman a long time ago. He was good writing about economics, but he has become the shrillest of partisan shills.

by Anonymousreply 22July 16, 2020 10:53 AM

She writes in stream-of-consciousness, which is weird for a columnist. All the ideas just vomited up at once without any real structure.

I agree with her most of the time but never understood her visceral hatred of Hillary

by Anonymousreply 23July 16, 2020 10:57 AM

[Quote] Also stopped reading Krugman a long time ago. He was good writing about economics, but he has become the shrillest of partisan shills.

He comes across as a shill because the right completely ignores science and economics. If you have to keep pointing out that one side still functions in reality, you will inevitably come across as a shrill for that side.

by Anonymousreply 24July 16, 2020 11:00 AM

R17, I loves Charles Blow’s columns. He tells the truth no mater how shocking it may seem

by Anonymousreply 25July 16, 2020 11:01 AM

I encourage everyone to revisit Maureen’s rightfully infamous column where she calls Michelle Obama the “princess of South Chicago.” She skewers Michelle for her tendency to playfully deflate Barack’s ego on the campaign trail and after admiring white women who do the same to their male counterparts (Katie Couric and the fictional Maddie Hayes), she can’t quite seem to put her finger on why it bugs her when Michelle does it. Hmmmm... I wonder why. Michelle discusses it in her memoir which prompted me to reread the column and Jesus does it not age well. That and her toxic Hillary fixation make me wish she would just go gently into that good night. She’s whatever an Uncle Tom woman is to feminism. Uncle Woman?

by Anonymousreply 26July 16, 2020 11:20 AM

Agree 100% R22

Krugman and Blow have spent the past three and a half years writing the same column:

• Trump is a bad man.

• He is a very bad man.

• I hate him.

• Here are just some of the lies he told this week.

• Here are some of the mind-numbingly stupid things he did this week

• He is a bad man and should not be president.

• I hate him.

Which I think most of us agree with, but when that's all you've got week in and week out for three and a half years, it gets old really fast and it's like "oh no, another Krugman column about how nothing does makes sense and another Blow column about what a godawful person Trump is."

Blow has always been a hack so no loss there, but to R22 s point, Krugman's columns on economics were very insightful. Hopefully once Biden takes over Krugman can revert to form.

by Anonymousreply 27July 16, 2020 1:20 PM

Dowds M.O. for twenty years has been trashing male democrats in the most juvenile ways possible, implying that they're somehow unmanly and inferior to their robust republican counterparts. Funny how she loved powerful right wing men so much but still couldn't land herself one.

She also despises their wives as well, Dowd attacked pretty much every wife of a democratic candidate for decades. She's the stereotype of a jealous bitter cunt. The only people Dowd doesn't seem to despise is her Irish cop Daddy and Bush the first. Sad pathetic bitch.

by Anonymousreply 28July 16, 2020 11:08 PM

Dowd does hate other women, particularly the strong, more assertive type. You don't have to be "pro woman" just because you're a woman (or womyn!), but she makes it her business to tear down all women in power

by Anonymousreply 29July 17, 2020 8:57 AM

I can’t think of anything less relevant right now than the NYT Opinion page.

by Anonymousreply 30July 17, 2020 9:28 AM

The Wall Street Journal opinion page, The New York Post opinion page???

by Anonymousreply 31July 17, 2020 11:22 AM

She used to date Aaron Sorkin. Can you imagine these two blowhards having sex? Ugh....

by Anonymousreply 32July 17, 2020 12:14 PM

R33 She also dated Rush Limbaugh. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 33July 17, 2020 9:01 PM

She has thin lips and a big lumpy nose.

by Anonymousreply 34July 17, 2020 11:38 PM

Why is her mouth always twisted into a sneer?

by Anonymousreply 35July 17, 2020 11:45 PM

She looks like the modern day Catelyn Stark.

by Anonymousreply 36July 18, 2020 1:03 AM

R12 Raines was such a sinister creep. Dowd is pretty much Teflon at this point, she's been caught misquoting, plagiarising, and promising powerful subjects like Amy Pascal favorable coverage. A lesser established journalist would be out of a job.

by Anonymousreply 37July 18, 2020 1:16 AM

Yikes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 8, 2020 3:38 PM

Maureen is so angry, so filled with hate!

by Anonymousreply 39August 8, 2020 3:43 PM

[quote] Dowd does hate other women, particularly the strong, more assertive type.

She had to fuck her way into her job. She's a bitter hag

by Anonymousreply 40August 8, 2020 3:46 PM

Ha-ha

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 8, 2020 3:47 PM

Is Dowd still doing the femme fatale wannabe photo shoots? Maureen has always reminded me of Norma Desmond. I fear for the day when an intrepid young journalist is found face down in Dowds pool after attempting to leave this pathetic womans squalid Georgetown penthouse.

by Anonymousreply 42August 8, 2020 5:00 PM

r12 What other atrocities was Raines responsible for?

by Anonymousreply 43August 8, 2020 5:23 PM

Is everyone on this thread a "political center" fetishist? You probably like to curl up with a Damon Linker column to top off your Maureen Dowd and David Brooks. It's not 2003 anymore; start using evidence.

by Anonymousreply 44August 8, 2020 5:30 PM

MoDo the DoDo.

by Anonymousreply 45August 8, 2020 5:39 PM

If she could actually formulate a paragraph, I might be convinced to give her a chance.

She sucks. They ALL do. The NY Times is, happily, dying.

by Anonymousreply 46August 8, 2020 8:09 PM

She throw big shade Anna Winter nuke. Big.

by Anonymousreply 47August 8, 2020 8:14 PM

All I need to know about Dowd is that she constantly writes about "Mean Girls" as though she isn't one.

She hangs with that other Mean Girl Sally Quinn as was revealed in that juicy, gossipy story the NY Times published on Valentine's Day 2019 on the Kellyanne and George Conway marriage.

by Anonymousreply 48August 10, 2020 2:12 AM

Dowd's writing is cheap and lazy, filled with moldy old pop culture references. "Here's another column comparing the Clintons to the Beverly Hillbillies!"

by Anonymousreply 49August 10, 2020 2:21 AM

I don't know what's more pathetic: Dowd's stupid mistake or the fact that the NYT printed it as is without checking it and making the correction.

Sounds like they need a new OP-Ed editor again.

by Anonymousreply 50August 10, 2020 2:23 AM

She's just not out of date and rather dense, she's increasingly hated by the rest of the Times for all her misstatements and errors.

by Anonymousreply 51August 10, 2020 2:35 AM

Maureen Dowd is a total cooze.

Her problem remains she can't keep a man and is bitter, even more bitter than before she turned into a wizened crone. Nobody wants her dried out cunt!

by Anonymousreply 52August 10, 2020 3:20 AM

R26 Uncle Karen

by Anonymousreply 53August 10, 2020 4:06 AM

Her whole shtick always struck me as an desperate effort to impress right wing men. "Look, I think women in power are total bitch cunts and probably like, lesbians or something " and "Liberal men are so femme, they probably lactate, am I right guys? ". Sadly for her it didn't work. Ah well I hope she's not taking quarantine too hard and remembering to do things like shower and clean her house . I would hate to think Dowd is sitting alone in a loft stinking of farts, sadness and liquor.

by Anonymousreply 54August 10, 2020 9:11 AM

David Brooks is the worst. Vapid and ponderous.

I liked the pre-Donald Trump Charles Blow. Now he just writes the same column every day - don't blame him because with Trump it's always "same shit, different day." But he's exhausting. Maureen's "pithy witty comments" shtick got old a long time ago. She's a relic from the Monica Lewinsky days.

by Anonymousreply 55August 10, 2020 10:23 AM

I stopped reading her juvenile columns. I stopped reading the NYT as a whole soon after. She's emblematic of the mediocrity. Its too bad a major city like NYC has only one national paper instead of 3 or 4.

by Anonymousreply 56August 10, 2020 10:49 AM

R11 Who're the infinitely better writers in the British publications? I read The London Times, which I assume is the British answer to the NYT as the nation's paper of record, but its columnists, as far as I'm concerned, are ridiculously perfunctory and parochial. Can you recommend some British writers worth following?

by Anonymousreply 57August 10, 2020 11:15 AM

Daddy Fucker

by Anonymousreply 58August 10, 2020 11:16 AM

She’s too old to keep playing this mean girl shit. She’s an old bat who could never keep a man - which is what irritates her. Her mentality is of another era.

by Anonymousreply 59August 10, 2020 11:36 AM

She’s always been one step away from calling unmarried women spinsters. That’s how she comes across. She’s very outdated.

by Anonymousreply 60August 10, 2020 11:37 AM

She's from a family of right wing rats. Why doesn't she just go to Fox already?

by Anonymousreply 61August 10, 2020 11:41 AM

R61, she is?

by Anonymousreply 62August 10, 2020 11:43 AM

I’d also love to know how she still has a job. Who the fuck is actually interested in reading her shit?

by Anonymousreply 63August 10, 2020 11:43 AM

R62 Yeah, her family are all right wingers. She even wrote a cutesy little column about it calling them her bowl of deplorables or something.

by Anonymousreply 64August 10, 2020 12:21 PM

[quote] Charles Blow. Now he just writes the same column every day

I have noted that too R55 (see R27)

Other anti-Trump columnists (Frank Bruni) have been able to change it up a little but Blow seems like he's in serious need of some intervention. (OTOH, I suspect his columns are very popular with the NYT readership)

by Anonymousreply 65August 10, 2020 12:39 PM

yes, just a mean high school girl in form of a human fossil

by Anonymousreply 66August 10, 2020 2:14 PM

MoDo the DoDo.

but not the BoBo

by Anonymousreply 67August 10, 2020 2:17 PM

Besides Paul Krugman, there's no one worth reading in the oped page.

by Anonymousreply 68August 10, 2020 6:47 PM

I am highly piqued that this thread's contempt for lazy, shallow, preening NYT opinion columnists has completely ignored me!

by Anonymousreply 69August 10, 2020 6:50 PM

I may not agree with most of what Douthat says R69, but at least he offers intelligent arguments and competent prose.

by Anonymousreply 70August 10, 2020 7:15 PM

Even though Douthat comes off as the Vatican's Special Envoy To The New York Times Editorial Page, he often has some really intelligent columns.

by Anonymousreply 71August 10, 2020 7:37 PM

Brooks tries very hard to be the Centrist-Leaning Conservative With A Strong Moral Center, but then he puts out a column like the one in yesterday's Sunday Review section where he talks about Marco Rubio, Ben Sasse, and - get this - Tom Cotton as the future of the GOP post-Trump.

I could probably buy Sasse as a possible candidate and Rubio at least admits that the global corporate economy hasn't really worked out (duh!), but an autocratic bomb-thrower like Cotton? The only difference between Cotton and Trump is the former's obsessive hawkishness, which isn't looking to the future but to the neocon past that has already produced nothing but misery. Otherwise, he's as rotten as people in the current administration.

I'm looking forward to reading the Letters to the Editor about Dowd's embarrassing error in her Sunday piece. Other than Hillary Clinton's pointed tweet, has there been any other blowback of note?

by Anonymousreply 72August 10, 2020 8:47 PM

In my local newspaper. columnists have a contact email at the end of their column.

Does anyone have Ms. Dowd's contact email at the NYT? I love to send a note to tell her about how I feel about her miserable, wretched, stanky ass cunt.

by Anonymousreply 73August 10, 2020 8:54 PM

[quote]I could probably buy Sasse as a possible candidate and Rubio at least admits that the global corporate economy hasn't really worked out

Both Sasse and Rubio, on the other hand, inevitably vote for the policies they tiresomely admit doubts about. They want it both ways. The whole party has become this plutocratic juggernaut with an occasional veneer of old-school uprightness, and dishonest hacks like Brooks are there to polish the veneer.

by Anonymousreply 74August 10, 2020 9:03 PM

I am highly piqued that this thread's contempt for lazy, shallow, preening NYT opinion columnists has completely ignored me!

Even readers who still stop by the Times OpEds have been ignoring Pope Douchehat for years. he never recovered from learning that kids fuck on the sofa.

by Anonymousreply 75August 11, 2020 12:55 AM

I don’t believe she has a lifetime sinecure. She hasn’t said a new thing in decades.

by Anonymousreply 76February 3, 2021 1:36 AM

[quote]There are infinitely better writers in the British publications.

R11 "Infinitely"? Really? You are obviously not one of these "better writers" of whom you write.

by Anonymousreply 77February 3, 2021 1:49 AM

Speaking of Brooks, I always meant to read this. Anyone read it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78March 28, 2021 4:55 AM

I love MDowd. She despises Hillary even more than I do.

by Anonymousreply 79March 28, 2021 8:05 AM

Ha, I didn't realize this was an old thread. I think I'm R4. That's something I would say.

by Anonymousreply 80March 28, 2021 8:06 AM

R41 Hillary keeping it classy as always.

I'm not saying the lack of civility in politics started with her, but she definitely never shies away from the opportunity to throw gasoline on the fire.

Trump was never more correct than when he said, "Such a nasty woman"

by Anonymousreply 81March 28, 2021 8:09 AM

Because she’s the cuntiest cunt that ever cunted.

by Anonymousreply 82March 28, 2021 8:16 AM

The entire NYTs opinion page is shite except for Charles Blow.

by Anonymousreply 83March 28, 2021 9:11 AM

Maureen Dowd is awesome. Only partisans hate her.

Keep speaking the truth to power, girl!

by Anonymousreply 84March 28, 2021 9:37 AM

She sucks powerful cock.

by Anonymousreply 85March 28, 2021 9:49 AM

Maureen Dowd is awful because she’s so narrow-minded and thinks she’s all that and all her thoughts are obvious ones. Commentary should be well informed, challenging and provocative. She is none of those things.

by Anonymousreply 86March 28, 2021 11:43 AM

Of course DL, which is filled with Trumpkins and self loathing fraus and is basically Parler now, just looovvvvveessss right wing racist, misogynistic Maureen. I wouldn’t expect anything less.

by Anonymousreply 87March 28, 2021 11:49 AM

Her writing is stream of consciousness. She needs an editor

by Anonymousreply 88March 28, 2021 12:02 PM

[Quote] Even though Douthat comes off as the Vatican's Special Envoy To The New York Times Editorial Page, he often has some really intelligent columns.

He’s a converted Catholic, I believe, and, as predicted, an absolute fanatic. Who the fucks wants to read about the Catholic Church’s view on something every fucking week?

by Anonymousreply 89March 28, 2021 12:04 PM

Has Dowd ever explained why she hates Hillary?

by Anonymousreply 90March 28, 2021 12:05 PM

I thought she was dead, or is that Molly Ivin's I'm thinking of. One of them I really like. Probably whoever is dead! I like the deceased because they are always into lunch, and rusty nails at noon.

by Anonymousreply 91March 28, 2021 12:09 PM

Oh dear. Maureen is still writing?

by Anonymousreply 92March 28, 2021 12:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!